7.9

1. Apr 16, 2011
    If having to listen to someone tell you about a dream they had is the cliche that represents all boring conversations, I'm not sure why this movie receives acclaim. There certainly is some artistry involved in provoking an emotional response in his audience, and it does feel like being trapped in a dream, but as a loose sequence of non-linear mood-scapes, it feels like you're watching theIf having to listen to someone tell you about a dream they had is the cliche that represents all boring conversations, I'm not sure why this movie receives acclaim. There certainly is some artistry involved in provoking an emotional response in his audience, and it does feel like being trapped in a dream, but as a loose sequence of non-linear mood-scapes, it feels like you're watching the film equivalent of lazy abstract paintings that you're sure were painted by a cat. I found that it angered and bored me simultaneously. And dreams aren't supposed to go on that long. Expand
  2. Jul 2, 2014
    So far in my life, I've reviewed almost every movie that I've seen. however, I cannot possibly review "Mulholland Drive" for the simple fact that it is not a movie. It is a collection of incoherent, unrelated scenes that director David Lynch (I'm not sure if that's the right word for him) has sloppily pasted together like a 3rd grade science project into this muddled, 2 1/2 hour mess.So far in my life, I've reviewed almost every movie that I've seen. however, I cannot possibly review "Mulholland Drive" for the simple fact that it is not a movie. It is a collection of incoherent, unrelated scenes that director David Lynch (I'm not sure if that's the right word for him) has sloppily pasted together like a 3rd grade science project into this muddled, 2 1/2 hour mess. That's all I have to say. I can't recommend it or not recommend it, simply because it just isn't really what it says it is. Anyone who can come up with an explanation for what I just witnessed must have a great imagination. Expand
  3. Mar 31, 2012
    I do not understand this movie. Why did that one woman start speaking spanish? Why were not the plot points wrapped up? The worst movie in the world? It does not make any sense.
    It has got interesting scenes , that are kind of like art, and some weird characters and stuff, but it is like someone randomly edited 3 movies into one movie, and there is no connection to the various parts. Does not seem like an actual feature film at all, more like some film student mistake rolled into one big ball, with a few good scenes thrown in.
  4. Oct 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So many issues with this movie. First off the fact that the critics love this blows my mind if for no other reason than there is not a soul in this film that can act. This is the by far the worst acting I have ever seen in a critically acclaimed movie by a big time director. Second if anyone understood this movie upon first viewing I would be shocked. I love a movie that is ambiguous and twists and turns but never before in a viewing experience have I had to look up what a movie means without having an idea in my head of what I thought was going on. After I read some synopsis of the movie and discovered that more than likely most of the movie was a dream: 1. This never occurred to me once during my viewing. 2. It did not surprise me. 3. I did not care one bit. The only reason I give this movie more than a zero rating is because it did engage me enough that I was intrigued to see if the plot was leading somewhere. I guess it did, but certainly nowhere I cared to go. A must miss. Expand
  5. Sep 21, 2014
    I hated this movie. Now before everyone sends me off to the gallows I'd like to make a few things clear. I'm a very introspective filmgoer. My favorite movie's Inception. I also liked 12 Monkeys and with some effort was able to adequately follow it. Oh, I almost forgot how much I like The Usual Suspects. My point is I like densely plotted movies. I like thick atmosphere, and I enjoyI hated this movie. Now before everyone sends me off to the gallows I'd like to make a few things clear. I'm a very introspective filmgoer. My favorite movie's Inception. I also liked 12 Monkeys and with some effort was able to adequately follow it. Oh, I almost forgot how much I like The Usual Suspects. My point is I like densely plotted movies. I like thick atmosphere, and I enjoy cerebral concepts. Muholland Dr. though is in my opinion just pointless crap. The acting is for some reason purposefully unconvincing. I don't care if Lynch was making a statement about the insincerity of Hollywood, it just doesn't work. It also makes no sense. I'll admit that I fast forwarded a little once I got about an hour or so in, but I just couldn't take it. I couldn't grasp what was going on about 90% of the time. It tries so hard to be confusing and surreal that it becomes almost gag inducing. If it's all supposed to be a dream with no logic or rules to follow than at least make it interesting! This is in my opinion extremely pretentious trash. Sometimes it's moody and it's well shot, but it's not worth it. Will I ever see it again and change my opinions? I don't know, but rest assured that it won't be any time soon. Expand
  6. Apr 15, 2013
    This movie is just a load of complete nonsense. There are 3 or 4 plots intertwined which seem to have absolutely no relation with each other until the very underwhelming "twist" at the end, which ultimately left me with a a frustrated feeling because I felt that none of my questions were really truly answered. Another thing that left me frustrated was the fact that the movie barely gaveThis movie is just a load of complete nonsense. There are 3 or 4 plots intertwined which seem to have absolutely no relation with each other until the very underwhelming "twist" at the end, which ultimately left me with a a frustrated feeling because I felt that none of my questions were really truly answered. Another thing that left me frustrated was the fact that the movie barely gave the audience enough to deduce what was going on, it was as if the writers wanted us to just guess what happened in more than half the movie. On the good side, at least the acting was decent.

At the end of the day, you just feel like you wasted 2 hours of your life watching a movie that just tries too hard and over-complicates everything. Thanks David Lynch, but no thanks, I'll stick with "Memento".
  7. Nov 9, 2014
    When I first watched the movie in 2001 I was still hoping Lynch had actually something to say, despite the disappointment with Wild at heart. I was surprised by the high rating and good reviews this movie got, but finally when I watched the movie again tonight on TV I got the point: hot, young, naked actresses and plenty of lesbian sex. Watts and Harring starring as the mysterious Rita andWhen I first watched the movie in 2001 I was still hoping Lynch had actually something to say, despite the disappointment with Wild at heart. I was surprised by the high rating and good reviews this movie got, but finally when I watched the movie again tonight on TV I got the point: hot, young, naked actresses and plenty of lesbian sex. Watts and Harring starring as the mysterious Rita and Betty go all the way, titillating the viewers with their antics.

It is pointless to summarize the plot, since the movie switches into a different one two thirds into the story. Anybody can interpret the complete lack of logic in whichever way they want and then "accuse" whoever does not "get" it of being dumb. The point is, there is nothing to "get", apart from Lynch frustration, unleashed on paying audience, a plot that does not make any sense and a couple of good actresses, only one of them actually making a career out of this crappy movie.

Lynch's Hollywood is a grand old girl, but she's one with some very treacherous curves. To trace the contours of her sensuality, you need a camera as sensitive as a set of fingertips. Lynch's is.
  2. Like "Memento," Mulholland Drive is an amnesiac noir in the tradition that goes back to "Spellbound" and "Somewhere in the Night."
  3. It will frustrate viewers who like stories to make instant sense, but fans of provocative puzzles will have mind-teasing fun.