7.3

1. Jul 11, 2011
    Simply, one of the best movies of its decade.
    The number of themes, moods and messages represented by David Lynch in this opera magna is still under analysis.
  2. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    Hard to recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen any of Lynch's films, maybe if you watched them in a certain order, you might understand how all his films have reached this point. This is by far his best and most ambitious film. The music, the tone, the acting are perfect in the dreamy landscape he paints.
  3. Mar 4, 2013
    Seems to me that some meaning of scenes is still mystic and open to interpretation. David Lynch is the only one genius bring me fuzz even after 10-time re-watch.
  4. s.roberts
    Nov 13, 2005
    There are not enough positive words to describe this movie and the experience of watching it.
  5. AnthonyR.
    Jan 13, 2002
    Never has a movie challenged my mind like this. It is wonderful to see a film that makes you actually think, not only about what is on the screen but also about what it is saying about dreams. As the reviews show, this is decidedly not a film for people who like to go to the movies to have mass-produced entertainment transplanted into their brains. This movie is not candy. You have to work.
  6. PanchoE.
    Apr 14, 2002
    One of the three killer "M" movies of 2001: "Mulholland Drive," "Moulin Rouge," and "Memento." All groundbreakers, and all hopelessly ignored by the old farts at the MPAA. And how in the hell does Naomi Watts get ignored for her role? We'd better see more of Laura Harring, too, or I'm gonna flip out!
  7. TheMoviegoer
    May 5, 2002
    Brilliant. If you don't understand, maybe you aren't meant to understand. I have a complete explanation if anyone is confused, just email me.
  8. TomM.
    Feb 8, 2006
    Hey Martin K...the director's name is David Lynch, not Jack Lynch. If you are going to criticise a film, please be somewhat informed This film is lynch's masterpiece. Yes, it is hard to understand, but once you grasp what is going on, you realise how great it really is. This flim does have meaning, Martin K. The first half of the film is a dream, and in the dream Naomi Hey Martin K...the director's name is David Lynch, not Jack Lynch. If you are going to criticise a film, please be somewhat informed This film is lynch's masterpiece. Yes, it is hard to understand, but once you grasp what is going on, you realise how great it really is. This flim does have meaning, Martin K. The first half of the film is a dream, and in the dream Naomi Watts' character incorporates elements of her extremely troubled life, which we see in the second section of the move,....do a bit of research and you might be able to figure that out. The fact that Lynch was able to convert what was in the beginning a TV pilot to a cinematic release ti, quite frankly, amazing. In years to come this, coupled with Twin Peaks, wiill be regarded as Lynch's masterpiece. Expand
  9. MichaelF.
    Oct 18, 2001
    This film is brilliant! Lynch without a debut is insane, but he is brilliant at bringing the thoughts of a psychopath to the big screen. There were parts where I laughed my ass off, then there were parts were I was truly heart-pounded.
  10. VaughanC.
    Oct 20, 2001
    Who else could pull this off?
  11. JohnM.
    Feb 12, 2002
    Mulholland Drive was SNUBBED at the Oscars!!! Moulin Rouge? A Beautiful Mind? THEY SUCKED! See the REAL movie of 2001: Mulholland Drive is the most innovative and challenging film to come around in years.
  12. JoshT.
    Mar 27, 2002
    Mulholland Drive is not only David Lynch's supreme masterpiece and the best film of 2001, but the finest American film in nearly a decade. Naomi Watts's (dual) performance is unforgettable, and Laura Elena Harring is her match. Peter Deming's atmospheric cinematography and Angelo Badalamenti's ominous score also add tremendously to the film's hypnotic otherworldliness.
  13. JesseS.
    Apr 10, 2002
    This IS a recording, Mullholland Drive was the second best movie of 2001, the only movie that is possibly better than "Moulin Rouge."
  14. JonathanR.
    Apr 9, 2002
    Best movie of last year.
  15. GilbertMulroneycakes,KnownToMillions
    Oct 29, 2003
    And I thought Adaptation was a mindf**k. Welcome to the parallel universe of David Lynch's head. And right now, he's asleep and having a nightmare. Scenes flow into scenes, giving the impression of a film that makes some kind of sense. And indeed, you can pretty much follow it, sort of - until we enter the Blue Box, and the film implodes. David Lynch's films always implode. And I thought Adaptation was a mindf**k. Welcome to the parallel universe of David Lynch's head. And right now, he's asleep and having a nightmare. Scenes flow into scenes, giving the impression of a film that makes some kind of sense. And indeed, you can pretty much follow it, sort of - until we enter the Blue Box, and the film implodes. David Lynch's films always implode. That usually - as here - comes two-thirds of the way through a promising movie and swallows it completely, ruining everything. But this one...this one's a controlled implosion. David Lynch, at last, is in full control of his nightmare. Before now, his best works had been "The Elephant Man" and "Blue Velvet" - movies that had linear plots, stories that made sense. Woo-hoo. There was "Eraserhead", of course, but that was a little too out-there, with little or no context, nothing for the audience to grab hold of. Things like "Lost Highway" and "Wild At Heart", Dave's earlier attempts at making this film, couldn't quite get the balance right - they were torn between telling a story and just cutting loose. With Mulholland Drive, for the first time, Dave decides "sod the story" as with Lost Highway - but manages to control the madness that ensues. The result is a collection of brilliant scenes (my favourite is the blackly hillarious demonstration of cinematic chaos theory just after the half-hour mark) which flow together, despite not actually fitting together (that early conversation in the restaurant, for example, was never followed up), then eventually, inside the Box, regenerate into a new movie altogether. The only problem is, where does he go from here? This is the film he's wanted to make his entire career. Now he's made it, he might just wander off and never come back. Certainly he hasn't threatened to make a movie since, which is a very human tragedy. (Mind you, there's always www.davidlynch.com - enter only if you have an open mind, a brave heart, and a credit card.) Mulholland Drive then? It's Mad Uncle Dave's new masterpiece, his film that makes little or no sense, yet doesn't care. Sublime. Expand
  16. Uter
    Sep 7, 2003
    It's a typical Lynch film. It has an awesome start, and then unravels into nonsense. I kinda like how it doesn't make sense though. It gives you some things to think about (and never solve). It's good fun, but only for the person in the right frame of mind.
  17. SudeepenM.
    Mar 9, 2004
    When it comes to creating an eeire, frightening almost indescibeable film there is only one David Lynch. He uses an extremely intriguing story of amnesia that compels like few other films and adds in thrills and some humour along the way. The most eeire of scenes are created with a mix of ntelligent camera work, a perfect score and very good acting all round. The interest in the When it comes to creating an eeire, frightening almost indescibeable film there is only one David Lynch. He uses an extremely intriguing story of amnesia that compels like few other films and adds in thrills and some humour along the way. The most eeire of scenes are created with a mix of ntelligent camera work, a perfect score and very good acting all round. The interest in the plot's conclusion is not satisfied in the conventional scense rather the film folds up and the conclusion seems further away than ever as the credits roll. This is the uniqueness of the film and what makes it so enjoyable with countless viewings need to unravel the plot. So the immensely enjoyable mood can be experienced time and time again. Expand
  18. MikeP.
    Mar 3, 2005
    Liquid poetry. Manifique. Bravo. In a world of films that repetitiously line up and tread the same path to success - at the expense of quality - Lynch went on a different path, that of brillance.
  19. SM
    Jun 26, 2005
    Lynch's best. Definitly not for all test, but if you love art films, dive into the delirium.
  20. JeffK
    Sep 8, 2005
    Unquestionably the finest American film of 2001 and Lynch's masterpiece. Whereas Lynch's inpenetrable scenes left one dismayed or angry, here they add substantively to the overall ominous tone of the film. The acting is superb, and while it is ultimately devastating, it's also extremely funny and frightening, not to mention what is one of the best lesbian sex scenes ever Unquestionably the finest American film of 2001 and Lynch's masterpiece. Whereas Lynch's inpenetrable scenes left one dismayed or angry, here they add substantively to the overall ominous tone of the film. The acting is superb, and while it is ultimately devastating, it's also extremely funny and frightening, not to mention what is one of the best lesbian sex scenes ever filmed (and I'm a gay man!). Expand
  21. SoulFellaMGTurbo
    Feb 3, 2006
    I can comfortably say that this is my favorite film of all time. It will be very difficult for another to usurp it.
  22. MoviegoerGeek
    Mar 12, 2006
    Don't you ever dream? Didn't you ever remember tiny pieces of it and try to make sense out of it all? Didn't you ever mixed people in your dreams YOU KNOW they don't know each other? Maybe you are to heavy on sleeping pills and this is numbing yourselves. This movie not only DOES have perfect sense. It has many layers beyond the dream/reality sequence. It IS a Don't you ever dream? Didn't you ever remember tiny pieces of it and try to make sense out of it all? Didn't you ever mixed people in your dreams YOU KNOW they don't know each other? Maybe you are to heavy on sleeping pills and this is numbing yourselves. This movie not only DOES have perfect sense. It has many layers beyond the dream/reality sequence. It IS a character study (to those morons saying otherwise) of a really ......up star-wannabe. DREAMS reveal more than yourself than you really are able to believe. In the dream sequence, [***SPOILERS***] there are hints of the guilt Dianne (Betty)experience for having Camille (Rita) killed by the mobster. I'm not doing your homework here: take a further look. DREAMS can also be PREMONITORY (hence the sense of deja-vu we sometimes feel). And Dianne (Betty) sees HER OWN death, only she doesn't know who is the rotted corpse laying in bed (but you can see she FEELS her in her own horrified face). brillant! You peel even further and you realize a "mirror game" depicting a symbolic Hollywood vs. Reality irony. In Hollywood (a.k.a Mulholland Dr.) bad actors rings false and are cartoonish (like Betty herself), while the industry IS the mobster, directors are puppets and the STORY is linear. In Reality, bad actors are messed up, the STORY is twisted, and the Industry and directors won't throw you a bone if you worth ..... Peel further enough, and at the core you will find a history of a rejected love who ends up in tragedy (Dianne killing herself). IT IS NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? This is arguably the best film of the new millenium. The most complex and deep (YES, DEEP) and the most visually stunning. A Masterpiece!! Warning: Don't be a Dianne, USE YOUR BRAINS! Expand
  23. JoshuaR.
    Mar 25, 2006
    All of Lynch's ideas have come to fruition. I saw the film first at the Playcircle Theatre on the University of Wisconsin campus in Madison. Like many, I left the theatre completely puzzled but also intrigued. This is the kind of film you watch again and again, appreciating it's genius ever more with each viewing. Now I'm with steve b. and s. roberts. . .One could analyze All of Lynch's ideas have come to fruition. I saw the film first at the Playcircle Theatre on the University of Wisconsin campus in Madison. Like many, I left the theatre completely puzzled but also intrigued. This is the kind of film you watch again and again, appreciating it's genius ever more with each viewing. Now I'm with steve b. and s. roberts. . .One could analyze this film on so many levels: a jab at hollywood genres, freudian themes, Shakespearian sleep vs wake. Let me just say, I love how the characters' dialogue really does dispell some of the mystery very early on (eg. "it's wierd calling yourself on the phone" and the mystic's "that's not Diane") Expand
  24. BlancoA.
    Oct 26, 2001
    Lynch's best film since "Fire Walk With Me." MUCH better than "Lost Highway." The last hour or so, while not easily understandable, is something one can speculate about, as if he/she were interpreting a dream, which is half the fun of Lynch movies. It certainly doesn't insult your intelligence, and shouldn't be written off by those who don't find Lynch's movies Lynch's best film since "Fire Walk With Me." MUCH better than "Lost Highway." The last hour or so, while not easily understandable, is something one can speculate about, as if he/she were interpreting a dream, which is half the fun of Lynch movies. It certainly doesn't insult your intelligence, and shouldn't be written off by those who don't find Lynch's movies completely accessible. Expand
  25. TulseL.
    Jan 21, 2002
    An excellent surreal film.
  26. HeatherH.
    Jan 3, 2002
    This film was absolutely amazing. The only reason I see fit for a reaction of not liking this film is because they did not understand it. That is the way of most of humanity, they don't like what they cannot understand. We all have morbid, somber dreams that pose psychotic questions of reality. That is what is so great about Lynch, he turns his dreams into a sick twisted visual world This film was absolutely amazing. The only reason I see fit for a reaction of not liking this film is because they did not understand it. That is the way of most of humanity, they don't like what they cannot understand. We all have morbid, somber dreams that pose psychotic questions of reality. That is what is so great about Lynch, he turns his dreams into a sick twisted visual world of reality. He shares it with us, and lets the world peer into his obsessions, his fears, and his fantasies. If you would actually like to step outside your stale, unimaginative lines of pop culture, then go see this movie. Expand
  27. ElaineJ.
    Jan 6, 2002
    David Lynch once again challenges us to use our imaginations and dares us to figure out what is real and what is a dream. There is no clear cut answer...it's individual interpretation at its finest and leaves room for many late night debates. This movie is his best work, so far...hands down!
  28. DanielG.
    Mar 17, 2002
    Esta película es la mejor del año. I think Lynch is trying to change our perception of the movie industry, and how we are supposed to watch movies. I saw Mulholland Drive a week ago, and I'm still questioning myself about the plot. Isn't that great?
  29. NickM.
    Apr 12, 2002
    Absolutely brilliant. This film demands attention, and if you're brave enough to do so, you'll be rewarded with amazing style and content.
  30. DerekS.
    Apr 19, 2002
    A masterpiece, I wish more movies like this were made. One of the best if not the best movie of the last decade.
  31. TH
    May 12, 2002
    Brilliant! Beautiful! Heartbreaking! This film was so carefully crafted and beautifully composed (images as well as sound) it's nothing short of poetry. Yet the quality that puts it above other Lynch films is that it's successfully able to convey deep feeling with such power. This can be mainly attributed to the film's terrific performances, from the main actors to the bit Brilliant! Beautiful! Heartbreaking! This film was so carefully crafted and beautifully composed (images as well as sound) it's nothing short of poetry. Yet the quality that puts it above other Lynch films is that it's successfully able to convey deep feeling with such power. This can be mainly attributed to the film's terrific performances, from the main actors to the bit players -- every line is exquisitely delivered, every gesture carefully captured on film. For those naysayers who feel this movie was pretentious, I will admit that at times it was "a bit forced, but still humanistic." But that can be forgiven since the story is...[spoiler omitted] Expand
  32. S.Iverson
    May 23, 2002
    In response to Betty B., who said "Think of what this film would be without all these hidden meanings and metaphors; NOTHING!" -- I would only say: think of what King Lear would be without all those hidden meanings and metaphors; NOTHING! You get my point.
  33. ChrisM.
    Oct 1, 2003
    One of my favourite movies! why? Because it's a film during which you have to think. I'm sorry for those who gave this film a bad rating. Just watch again, and perhaps then you will be able to understand it.
  34. Feb 22, 2013
    People who can understand the story and the behind-story meaning will know that this is a masterpiece! But i saw many people lack the ability of thinking keep putting dumb review on this, really pathetic. If one know about Sigmund Freud the interpretation of Dream" you would know how accurate the scenario Mulholland drive achieved, much better than some easy trick and twist movies. MostPeople who can understand the story and the behind-story meaning will know that this is a masterpiece! But i saw many people lack the ability of thinking keep putting dumb review on this, really pathetic. If one know about Sigmund Freud the interpretation of Dream" you would know how accurate the scenario Mulholland drive achieved, much better than some easy trick and twist movies. Most important is people don't get that the secret of the blue key and what Diane represented for. If you don't understand, watch more and you would find the key, not for Diane, its for you Expand
  35. WilliamS
    Mar 3, 2005
    After watching it three times I finally got it! Once you do get it, you will discover how deep this movie really is! Great acting, and the direction is amazing! David Lynch Does it again.
  36. LukeG
    May 9, 2005
    Great movie. Relies too much on its surrealist aura, but still a very intriguing experience.
  37. M.Carey
    Dec 25, 2001
    So many beautiful women; so many ugly men. And, as Hollywood male fantasy would have it, the beautiful women are attracted to each other and to the ugly men. It's so typical of male directors to ignore the fact that women love to behold male beauty. I think I'll go see The Deep End again so I can watch that gorgeous hunk, Goran Visnjic, heat up the screen. (Sigh!)
  38. DanF.
    Apr 29, 2002
    I would have to say this is one of the first movies that I enjoyed but could not fully explain the meaning of the film. Like a strange dream that haunts your waking moments it provokes the imagination and keeps you guessing days after. At times I think I understand it but just at the moment when I'm comfortable with the explaination it all falls apart. For those of you who claim to I would have to say this is one of the first movies that I enjoyed but could not fully explain the meaning of the film. Like a strange dream that haunts your waking moments it provokes the imagination and keeps you guessing days after. At times I think I understand it but just at the moment when I'm comfortable with the explaination it all falls apart. For those of you who claim to have the knowledge of this film please explain in great detail. If you dare. Expand
  39. MalA.
    Oct 6, 2003
    Dark and surreal, Lynch paints an abstract portrait of the Hollywood movie machine, and how it prompts the self-destruction of its central character. Utterly absorbing and richly rewarding.
  40. BenW.
    Aug 28, 2003
    I hardly understood it, but i'm working on that. one of my fav movies of all time, for some f...ed-up reason. everything about it's just so perfect and compulsively watchable. a first-rate thriller.
  41. YoonC.
    Sep 23, 2003
    Lynch's best film since Eraserhead and one of the greastest achievements in cinema. It maps out the intersections of neural highways where past and present, hope and despair, love and hate, trust and paranoia all zip across, sometimes colliding into a wreckage of madness. The basic story is that of an actress who takes disparate elements of her failed life and reconstructs in her Lynch's best film since Eraserhead and one of the greastest achievements in cinema. It maps out the intersections of neural highways where past and present, hope and despair, love and hate, trust and paranoia all zip across, sometimes colliding into a wreckage of madness. The basic story is that of an actress who takes disparate elements of her failed life and reconstructs in her doped-out, alcohol induced mind what could have been, might have been, should have been. Unnerving and disturbing, but in truth an exploration of potential madness fueled by despair and desperation that lies beneath us all. Expand
  42. AndrewM.
    May 16, 2004
    Yeah, brilliant...just brilliant. My first rummage into that which is David Lynch's world and it's quite a fascinating realm! A lot of things come together in this film to make it work but the binding force is Lynch's direction and vision. This is a film to divide people like no other; some will like it, others will not; some will understand it, most will not! While it may Yeah, brilliant...just brilliant. My first rummage into that which is David Lynch's world and it's quite a fascinating realm! A lot of things come together in this film to make it work but the binding force is Lynch's direction and vision. This is a film to divide people like no other; some will like it, others will not; some will understand it, most will not! While it may be hard (if not difficult) to confidently illustrate the plot in detail, everyone can glean their own understanding from it, and most will link in some way. A truly fascinating dream of a film that anyone brave enough to experience a head trip should see. Expand
  43. DaveC.
    Jun 23, 2004
    You want to get an idea of how great David Lynch's near masterpiece is? Simple. Just compare it to Richard Kelly's supremely trite and overrated Donnie Darko which came out two months later. Unlike that film, which was more smugly convoluted than interesting, Mulholland Drive intoxicates the viewer with its surreal atmosphere, alluring mystery a few of Lynch's signature You want to get an idea of how great David Lynch's near masterpiece is? Simple. Just compare it to Richard Kelly's supremely trite and overrated Donnie Darko which came out two months later. Unlike that film, which was more smugly convoluted than interesting, Mulholland Drive intoxicates the viewer with its surreal atmosphere, alluring mystery a few of Lynch's signature surreal touches. The result is a film which like all great mysteries displays more than enough aesthetic integrity to keep the viewer interested and wanting to know the secrets behind its fascinating, ambiguous characters. I've given it a 9 instead of a 10 because it doesn't quite have the distinctive eccentricity that made Blue Velvet an arthouse classic nor does it come off as much of a focused social critique. Never the less, it is my third favorite David Lynch film after Blue Velvet and Eraserhead a very highly recommended to the more adventuring among film-viewers. A challenging and rewarding film (even if you don't figure it out). Expand
  44. ChristofferS.
    Jun 29, 2004
    I've watched it over and over again, and it's as fascinating the last time as the first. The mood is perfect and you discover new things each time. A classic.
  45. steveb.
    Nov 16, 2005
    I refuse to be friends with anyone who has not at some point in their lives said "this is the best movie ever!"
  46. MikeS.
    Jan 24, 2005
    This is the best movie I have ever seen! It going to be hard for David Lynch to make another great movie as this! Everything in this movie makes sense, you just have to watch it a couple of times!
  47. BarisT.
    Feb 28, 2005
    It is the best movie i have ever seen.
  48. glorias.
    Jun 12, 2005
    The best movie ever made!
  49. SpeedyD.
    Jul 24, 2005
    That´s really amazing movie... Mulholland Dr. is a part of my life. Another part is David Lynch.
  50. KennyM
    Aug 7, 2006
    Martin K., I feel sorry for you ... Have fun flipping burgers at McDonald's for the rest of your life. Oh yeah, and next time you're going to criticize one of the greatest films in the history of cinema, at least don't use the words/phrases "dude", "cracked out", "eyebrows fatter than eugene levy's" , and "jerking off prophetic metaphors." At least disguise the fact Martin K., I feel sorry for you ... Have fun flipping burgers at McDonald's for the rest of your life. Oh yeah, and next time you're going to criticize one of the greatest films in the history of cinema, at least don't use the words/phrases "dude", "cracked out", "eyebrows fatter than eugene levy's" , and "jerking off prophetic metaphors." At least disguise the fact that you don't even know how to speak, because then maybe someone could actually read your comment without vomitting all over themselves in disgust. This film is a masterpiece, and if you cannot at least appreciate the fact that it is genius (even if you don't necessarily enjoy it) than you deserve to be tied to a chair and forced to watch the film for the rest of your life, or at least until you can truly appreciate it. I'll be sure to come by McDonald's for some apple pies. Expand
  51. JW.
    May 5, 2007
    (8.5) Naomi Watts has been, in the last six years or so, the greatest gift to American film. She was no rookie at the time, obviously, but this was basically her coming-out party. Her performance here is cited by people like David O. Russell (I Heart Huckabees) as a casting director's equivalent of love at first sight. Already evident are the strengths that would make her shine (8.5) Naomi Watts has been, in the last six years or so, the greatest gift to American film. She was no rookie at the time, obviously, but this was basically her coming-out party. Her performance here is cited by people like David O. Russell (I Heart Huckabees) as a casting director's equivalent of love at first sight. Already evident are the strengths that would make her shine brightest in everything from 21 Grams to We Don't Live Here Anymore. You can't NOT watch her. In this film - amid all the surreal emotional touchstones she hits -it is her flinch at the fateful dinner party that says everything about how far into a character she can go. Without her, Mulholland would fly totally off its rocker halfway through. As it is, you keep watching to the last freakish second. It's sure to scare the bejeezus out of you at least once. Expand
  52. Æ.
    Nov 24, 2001
    Sheer brilliance! One of the most brilliant and intelligent movies I've ever seen.
  53. RyanM.
    Oct 19, 2001
    Feels like one of the first real classics of the new decade. It compels and revolts, with its bleak and often brutal imagery and its astounding performances.
  54. MichaelR.
    Oct 24, 2001
    Years ago, I read an early viewer's reaction to 'Citizen Kane": "I thought, if movies can do this, they can do anything." That was my reaction to Mulholland Drive. Thinking it over, at first, I thought Lynch's film was brilliant cinema but didn't make its way into the human heart as he did in "The Straight Story." But I realized that it does, not so much by showing Years ago, I read an early viewer's reaction to 'Citizen Kane": "I thought, if movies can do this, they can do anything." That was my reaction to Mulholland Drive. Thinking it over, at first, I thought Lynch's film was brilliant cinema but didn't make its way into the human heart as he did in "The Straight Story." But I realized that it does, not so much by showing people by their actions, as in the earlier film, but by showing them in their fantasies. A great film! Expand
  55. WilliamC.
    Oct 25, 2001
    Stellar! The images are crisp and unforgettable.
  56. NikoB.
    Jan 26, 2002
    Marvellous, beautyful and strange. I think, I have to go another 20 times into this movie!
  57. AnneP.
    Feb 15, 2002
    This movie is everything the general public AND Hollywood are afraid of: intensity, intelligence, truthfulness, and artfulness. Go ahead, naysayers, stick with the tired and true (truly lame) "A Beautiful Mind" and the like. Let your brains rot out -- give me one Mulholland Drive for ten years of otherwise mediocre films being cranked out endlessly --- and it will have been WORTH IT. See This movie is everything the general public AND Hollywood are afraid of: intensity, intelligence, truthfulness, and artfulness. Go ahead, naysayers, stick with the tired and true (truly lame) "A Beautiful Mind" and the like. Let your brains rot out -- give me one Mulholland Drive for ten years of otherwise mediocre films being cranked out endlessly --- and it will have been WORTH IT. See this film. Be challenged. Be stunned. Be amazed by a director not willing to pander to the dumbing down of America. Expand
  58. £
    Mar 23, 2002
    Quite possibly the best movie I have ever seen. Absolutely remarkable! Go see it a couple times, there is a plot there and once you unravel it you see how brilliantly Lynch pulled this movie off...to the guy that gave it a '0' go back to watching your Harrison Ford action movies and your Julia Roberts romantic-comedies, obviously you don't want to use your brain and Quite possibly the best movie I have ever seen. Absolutely remarkable! Go see it a couple times, there is a plot there and once you unravel it you see how brilliantly Lynch pulled this movie off...to the guy that gave it a '0' go back to watching your Harrison Ford action movies and your Julia Roberts romantic-comedies, obviously you don't want to use your brain and imagination in order to analyze and understand a brilliant piece of work. Expand
  59. ChristopherM.
    Oct 23, 2003
    A tour-de-force direction performance by one of the most trailblazing artists of the 20th century. Lynch shows his fondness for dreams, crumbling personalities and a cat-and-mouse game for mind. People are searching One Universal Truth in this film, then they say they couldn't understand. A film never contains a single expression, a truth or an idea. It has various sides and each A tour-de-force direction performance by one of the most trailblazing artists of the 20th century. Lynch shows his fondness for dreams, crumbling personalities and a cat-and-mouse game for mind. People are searching One Universal Truth in this film, then they say they couldn't understand. A film never contains a single expression, a truth or an idea. It has various sides and each sides of it has its methods. So, that means you can understand this film as A, or B, or C. Every brain produces different ideas about this film. Expand
  60. DanC.
    Apr 14, 2004
    Excellent and fascinating headtrip with great performances and direction. Not Lynch's best, but pretty damn close. (It's just behind Blue Velvet by my book).
  61. DavidW
    Jan 21, 2005
    Everyone who loves analyzing dreams should watch "Mulholland Drive." It is a dream and nightmare that a creative genius like David Lynch could think up.
  62. Wendy
    Feb 14, 2005
    This movie shows what an amazing director David Lynch is! This is his best movie. Noami Watts shines in this movie, and so do the other actors! a masterpiece!
  63. DavidM.
    Feb 25, 2005
    The best movie I have ever seen!
  64. Mike
    Nov 30, 2006
    I loved this movie! I walked out of the movie theater and I was amazed in what I seen. The most impressive was in how the movie was directed. Simply amazing! no wonder the director was nominated for an oscar for best director. In my opinion he should of won! After watching it 3 times I still didnt understand it, but after the 4th time everything just clicks in and it make PERFECT sense! I loved this movie! I walked out of the movie theater and I was amazed in what I seen. The most impressive was in how the movie was directed. Simply amazing! no wonder the director was nominated for an oscar for best director. In my opinion he should of won! After watching it 3 times I still didnt understand it, but after the 4th time everything just clicks in and it make PERFECT sense! The movie is so intresting. you keep on watching it again and again! Can't wait to see what David Lynch makes next! Expand
  65. Kharlos
    Dec 22, 2007
    My brother didn't like this movie, but he is the kind of moviegoer that leaves his brain in the ashtray of his car before going into the theater. His kind of movie is along the lines of Independence Day, Austin Powers, Transformers, etc... Now I enjoy wholesome tearjerkers like "Wild horses can't be broken" and action/dramas like "Flyboys" as well, but "Mulholland Drive" would My brother didn't like this movie, but he is the kind of moviegoer that leaves his brain in the ashtray of his car before going into the theater. His kind of movie is along the lines of Independence Day, Austin Powers, Transformers, etc... Now I enjoy wholesome tearjerkers like "Wild horses can't be broken" and action/dramas like "Flyboys" as well, but "Mulholland Drive" would not fall into a category that would be so easily labeled. As others have stated already, it's more akin to art than anything else. I have trouble simply describing the effect this movie had on me when I watched it, but I really, really liked it. After 2 viewings, I agree with the popular view on the plot: This film is an invasive look into the depths of the human mind, and it's ability to control perceived reality. A large portion of the movie (first 2 hours or so) are a fabrication of Diane's mind...a favorable re-creation of accounts and personas. If you have ever seen "The Matrix" then you will have some idea of the concept of living "as a boat in a bottle" so to speak. When the theater scene arrives, I think it is symbolic of Diane's inability to maintain the mental farce and avoid the inevitable, brutal, punishing truth of actual reality. If your friend said to you "ok, sit down silently in that chair and for the next 10 minutes, do NOT have a thought about cars" would you be able to do it? Maintaining focus on (or away from) things requires energy, and Diane finally ran out of it. After the theater scene, Diane's "matrix" comes crashing down, and she is unable to re-create it, even though she trantically tries again (when Camilla revisits her in the kitchen and at the couch). With Diane's imagination unable to get her back to her nirvana, she sees no other recourse than suicide for her miserable life. In my opinion, Mulholland Drive is one of the 5 greatest movies that I have ever seen. I'm sorry that there are those that will not enjoy it simply because it is not like 99% of the "made for tv" or "made for Hollywood" movies that are out there. Expand
  66. Jan 17, 2014
    The obscure magnum opus of one of the greatest. Kaleidoscopic puzzle of uncompromising beauty. Unsettling experience that lingers on you. A true masterpiece.
  67. Aug 27, 2010
    David Lynch presents his greatest stride, giving us a surrealist pop dream that is as irresistible as it is confounding, raising a huge middle finger to Hollywood conventions while never compromising entertainment. The movie stands on its own just fine, but the more movies I watch, the more I see its influences: Bergman's "Persona," Godard's colorful capricious style, Fellini'sDavid Lynch presents his greatest stride, giving us a surrealist pop dream that is as irresistible as it is confounding, raising a huge middle finger to Hollywood conventions while never compromising entertainment. The movie stands on its own just fine, but the more movies I watch, the more I see its influences: Bergman's "Persona," Godard's colorful capricious style, Fellini's self-conscious abstractions, Buñuel's vicious humor. I wouldn't draw such grand comparisons if I felt they weren't earned, but Lynch delivers on every front, giving us a movie that is sure to leave you spellbound. Expand
  68. Mar 17, 2012
    A film that truly i do not know if i will ever fully understand,but every time i see it I get a little bit more of the puzzle together. It is a truly incredible film! The begining pulls you into certain details and completelt throws you off on the plot of the movie. However when it comes to the end of the film you know what you saw and where you saw it. The films visuals are key to theA film that truly i do not know if i will ever fully understand,but every time i see it I get a little bit more of the puzzle together. It is a truly incredible film! The begining pulls you into certain details and completelt throws you off on the plot of the movie. However when it comes to the end of the film you know what you saw and where you saw it. The films visuals are key to the film and they deliver 100 percent. If you are looking for a head scratching mind screwing movie Mulholland dr is for you. Expand
  69. Mar 25, 2012
    Mulholland Drive has no realistic sequences in it, the whole film takes place in a dream and like a dream, the film focuses on the emotions and makes sense in a very narrow way. That is what makes it such a power punch to experience.
  70. Dec 22, 2012
    This was voted by the LA Films Critic as the movie of the decade, and for good reason..It is one of the very few movies in which the pieces not only add up to much more than the whole, but also supersede it with a series of (for the most part) fascinating fragments...If you are looking for a linear structure and the typical hollywood garbage, where the story is neatly tied up - this is notThis was voted by the LA Films Critic as the movie of the decade, and for good reason..It is one of the very few movies in which the pieces not only add up to much more than the whole, but also supersede it with a series of (for the most part) fascinating fragments...If you are looking for a linear structure and the typical hollywood garbage, where the story is neatly tied up - this is not the movie for you..The symbolism, dream structure and the overall feeling in this movie is incredible -

For those of you who didnt "get" the movie - you can go on the internet and actually find out that about 95% of the movie can be easily explained..But if you think this movie is bad - you know ZERO about movies - and you are better off watching $hit like Inception..or any quinten tarentino movie David Lynch is amazing and so is this movie...I am so glad there are still true artists out there working today..I have personally not seen a better movie since watching this in 2001..Movie of the decade and one of the best movies ever made - touches parts of your soul and goes places where you never thought possible..You will not understand it the first time, and might not fully comprehend it on future viewings..leave logic at the door..open up your heart and soul and this movie will amaze you 10+++
  71. Aug 16, 2010
    One of David Lynch's best movies to date!! I think I've watched it a total of 11 times, and each time it gets me. When I first watched the movie, I walked out thinking, what the hell is this movie about. As I began to read articles online, I discovered what a piece of art this movie is. Naomi Watts is amazing. She is one of my favourite actors I always enjoy watching.
  72. Nov 6, 2011
    Its hard for a movie to get a perfect 10 in my book, but this movie did it... alot of mystery, very well paced and once you know whats happening the director mixes things around! Only for the viewer to use their brains to figure out whats happening. After 4 times of watching it I think I figured it out :-)
  73. Sep 27, 2012
    Masterpiece. Emotional and incredible feeling when you are watched this movie. So many thanks David Lynch. In my opinion Mulholland Dr. best movie ever.
  74. Nov 14, 2012
    After finishing the film for the first time, having been utterly enthralled by its captivating mystery, I was confused as to what actually occurred; and such represents the true beauty of the film. Following my third viewing, I felt as though the puzzle had been solved to some extent, and it was then that I realized quite how amazing this film really was. It is ultimately a romanticAfter finishing the film for the first time, having been utterly enthralled by its captivating mystery, I was confused as to what actually occurred; and such represents the true beauty of the film. Following my third viewing, I felt as though the puzzle had been solved to some extent, and it was then that I realized quite how amazing this film really was. It is ultimately a romantic tragedy of the greatest depth, tantalising in execution and devastating in its punchlines. Mulholland Dr. represents the Hollywood dream gone awry, the dangers of obsession, the power of fantasies and the deep emotional havoc sparked by regret and unrequited love. David Lynch is an artist. Expand
  75. Oct 6, 2010
    Mulholland Drive somehow mixes realism and surrealism together? Somehow leaves you wanting more? Somehow compels you to watch it again and again? How these affects occur is unknown. All I do know is that it is my favourite Lynch movie and is well worthy of its 'universal acclaim' tag. The brilliance of cinema in one film.
  76. Zee
    Oct 10, 2002
    I absolutely love Lynch and though i cannot honestly give this a 10, it was a great movie. The reason being: IT MAKES YOU THINK. What one of the other users said was true: Those who didnt like it probably didnt understand it. But think of it this way, at least youre seeing something new. Unlike those pathetic, repetitive, totally idiotic seen-one-seen-em-all teen movies (cough American I absolutely love Lynch and though i cannot honestly give this a 10, it was a great movie. The reason being: IT MAKES YOU THINK. What one of the other users said was true: Those who didnt like it probably didnt understand it. But think of it this way, at least youre seeing something new. Unlike those pathetic, repetitive, totally idiotic seen-one-seen-em-all teen movies (cough American Pie, Road Trip, Van Wilder cough) Mulholland Drive is a movie that tries to do something different, and that in itself is admireable. I mean, in what other movie can you see scary tiny old people running out of blue boxes held by demonic dirty back-alley men? Need i say more? Expand
  77. PaulF.
    Oct 3, 2002
    People who rate this 6 and below are obviously big Michael Bay fans...worry not little hollywood clones, there are more movies that you like than this masterpiece of cinema...such a shame.
  78. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    Seems to be a response to the phrase "more than the sum of its parts". Left me jarringly perplexed and puzzlingly startled. Now if only the blondes didn't look alike, or it was clearer that they were one and the same if that was the case, I could really just let go of my logic enough for it to work the way it seemingly is supposed to.
  79. Richard
    Sep 4, 2002
    David Lynch's best and most heartfelt movie by a long shot. A stunning performance by Naomi Watts, and expert support all around. This is the first film of Lynch's I've seen where he seems to actually have empathy for his female characters. In the end, enough makes sense in retrospect, and the stuff that doesn't make sense still makes for a captivating and altogether David Lynch's best and most heartfelt movie by a long shot. A stunning performance by Naomi Watts, and expert support all around. This is the first film of Lynch's I've seen where he seems to actually have empathy for his female characters. In the end, enough makes sense in retrospect, and the stuff that doesn't make sense still makes for a captivating and altogether affecting experience. Expand
  80. FongF.
    Mar 16, 2003
    Amazing. Simply amazing. More brain-teasing than 'Memento', deeper than 'Pi' and smoother than 'Lost Highway'. One of my top 5.
  81. John
    Dec 15, 2002
    One of the best movies ever made. Art comparable to Lord Jim, Heart of Darkness, Great Gatsby. An addictive movie that expands the mind and compels one to look deeply into oneself. The movie, and the performance of Naomi Watts, so superior as to be simply beyond most people, including or particularly those who run the 'Oscar' system, so to speak, if any.
  82. LindhI.
    Jun 22, 2002
    Lynch's best movie ever!
  83. JohnS.
    Jun 25, 2002
    Perfect!!!! And it was not that confusing. It was very intelligent, but why all the misunderstanding...[***Potential Spoiler***] The first half is a dream and the second her waking like. Simple.
  84. Feb 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. David Lynch makes movies like no one else can, or should attempt. This is probably his best. This film is perplexing, dazzling, terrifying in parts. Each scene stands on its own but the whole forms a grand mystery. Is it a dream? if so whose? How many dreams, how many dreamers? is anything real?

I have my own theory but the film is strong enough to be revisited, for those that want form their own. However it should be stressed this movie is far more than a parlour game, it certainly does not have to be fully understood to be enjoyed.
  85. Jan 20, 2013
    David Lynch does and outstanding directing job in the complex thriller and mystery. Like the movie the acting gets better as the movie moves along. The problem is the movie is so complicated you don't really grasp the last 20 minutes because nothing really makes sense.
  86. Nov 12, 2012
    A brilliant film so intelligent and twisted, seeing it once is not enough. I have seen it four times, and after the third, I knew it was one of the most breathtaking, original, and wondrous films ever made. Naomi Watts delivers a flawless performance, and Mr. Lynch directs the film so carefully and precisely, you'll be blown away by the subtleties alone.
  87. Gaby
    Sep 5, 2002
    Absolutely amazing. This is the movie i always wanted to see. After Fellini, Lynch is the best. 10000 votes for Naomi Wats-best actress this Year.
  88. Jul 2, 2014
    So far in my life, I've reviewed almost every movie that I've seen. however, I cannot possibly review "Mulholland Drive" for the simple fact that it is not a movie. It is a collection of incoherent, unrelated scenes that director David Lynch (I'm not sure if that's the right word for him) has sloppily pasted together like a 3rd grade science project into this muddled, 2 1/2 hour mess.So far in my life, I've reviewed almost every movie that I've seen. however, I cannot possibly review "Mulholland Drive" for the simple fact that it is not a movie. It is a collection of incoherent, unrelated scenes that director David Lynch (I'm not sure if that's the right word for him) has sloppily pasted together like a 3rd grade science project into this muddled, 2 1/2 hour mess. That's all I have to say. I can't recommend it or not recommend it, simply because it just isn't really what it says it is. Anyone who can come up with an explanation for what I just witnessed must have a great imagination. Expand
  89. anto
    Nov 15, 2004
    Really, I understand how people didn't lke this movie. It is not very accesable and all the symbolism and metaphors can create a very pretentious film, however, it does ahve a strong and rather basic plot. !st half is a dream - shot in sequence and that it why it is the more lgical (although cleary it's not logical) half. The second half is comprised of flash-backs of non Really, I understand how people didn't lke this movie. It is not very accesable and all the symbolism and metaphors can create a very pretentious film, however, it does ahve a strong and rather basic plot. !st half is a dream - shot in sequence and that it why it is the more lgical (although cleary it's not logical) half. The second half is comprised of flash-backs of non sequential scenes. They introduce characters in the dream and explain how they got there. This film is basically about love and loss, betrayal and revenge it is not as pretentious or inaccesable as everyone claims. It is different (like a puzzle that you have to piece together) and to those who don't understand it I emplore you to be less lazy that to expect to understand a film straight away, make an effort and spend time unwraping the mystry for yourselves rather than complaining about not understanding it. Expand
  90. MovieBuff
    Jul 10, 2002
    This movie was simply amazing. My friends rented it. At first I didn't even want to watch it, since there was a card game going on downstairs but I stayed to watch the movie and am glad I did. Lynch shines in this twisted thriller. Let me tell you how one movie can get 10's by some and 1's by others. The people who didn't like the movie DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE This movie was simply amazing. My friends rented it. At first I didn't even want to watch it, since there was a card game going on downstairs but I stayed to watch the movie and am glad I did. Lynch shines in this twisted thriller. Let me tell you how one movie can get 10's by some and 1's by others. The people who didn't like the movie DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE MOVIE. That's it! If you are the type of person that needs everything handed to them on a silver platter then this movie is not for you. Let me explain this movie VERY briefly to the dazed and confused. [***WARNING---the following is a SPOILER and should not be read by people who haven't seen the movie***] Ok the reason there are so many people confused by this movie is because the first 75% of it gives us different impressions of who people are then what they turn out to be in the end. The first half of the movie people's names and relationships to other people mean NOTHING. Just pretend they have no names and aren't related. They are ONLY THERE to introduce characters. PERIOD. That's it. For example, the dude that killed the fat lady and that other guy was only there to show us that he was a killer and a very mean person :-) Nothing else matters. Once they open the box, then AND ONLY THEN are the names of people and there relationships correct. Think of it as opening pandora's box. So Lynch made us think that the dead girl laying on the bed was supposed to be one person, then when they go back to the APT AFTER they open the box you find out who it really is. Ok that's enough of an explanation. This movie is incredible and the only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because it did drag out a little. Lynch could have cut out a couple parts in the middle to make it about 20 minutes less. But otherwise a superb film! Expand
  91. EricC.
    Feb 8, 2003
    This was the first film in which I asked myself the question, "Was that a movie?" Because when it all ended, the story confused the heck out of me. But not in a bad way at all. In fact, I enjoyed figuring out all of the plot after it was all done. The direction by David Lynch was also on of the most intriguing that I've ever seen. I'm not really sure how to describe the movie, This was the first film in which I asked myself the question, "Was that a movie?" Because when it all ended, the story confused the heck out of me. But not in a bad way at all. In fact, I enjoyed figuring out all of the plot after it was all done. The direction by David Lynch was also on of the most intriguing that I've ever seen. I'm not really sure how to describe the movie, so it's hard to give a clear review. All I can say is that if you want to watch something completely different than what you've normally watched, give this one a shot. Expand
  92. SteveE.
    Apr 4, 2003
    Brilliant... Just amazing.
  93. Pasco
    May 3, 2003
    Fantastic and eerie. I have watched it over and over and I still really don't quite understand the ending but thats part of the appeal.
  94. JimW.
    Jul 5, 2003
    The first non-musical musical. I say that because the film affects you emotionally, like good music, even if you don't always understand the lyrics.
  95. AthanasiosN.
    Oct 14, 2002
    One of the gratest movies ever!!!!! It is a deeply sarcastic movie. Everything in this movie was brilliantly chosen to create a masterpiece.
  96. HugoO.
    Dec 17, 2002
    Personally I can't stand to watch a film that I can predict from the very first frame, it is dull and more often than not it becomes less than what I had envisaged. Likewise there are people who cannot stand to watch a film that makes no sense even by the last frame. This is a film that people of the latter opinion will be frustrated with. However the former people, like myself, will Personally I can't stand to watch a film that I can predict from the very first frame, it is dull and more often than not it becomes less than what I had envisaged. Likewise there are people who cannot stand to watch a film that makes no sense even by the last frame. This is a film that people of the latter opinion will be frustrated with. However the former people, like myself, will be enthralled by the suspense and mystery Lynch creates. The interrelationships between the two central heroines sees Lynch go back to the innocence of his protagonists in Blue Velvet yet combines the horror conveyed in 'The Lost Highway' to give us his best and most balanced film yet. Expand
  97. JoakinL.
    Dec 19, 2002
    Beutiful, emotive, suspenseful and funny. Simply incredible!
  98. ETP
    Mar 15, 2003
    The best movie ever!!
  99. Fabio
    Nov 27, 2004
    A true masterpiece...twisted.

Lynch's Hollywood is a grand old girl, but she's one with some very treacherous curves. To trace the contours of her sensuality, you need a camera as sensitive as a set of fingertips. Lynch's is.
  2. Like "Memento," Mulholland Drive is an amnesiac noir in the tradition that goes back to "Spellbound" and "Somewhere in the Night."
  3. It will frustrate viewers who like stories to make instant sense, but fans of provocative puzzles will have mind-teasing fun.