7.4

1. Jul 2, 2014
    So far in my life, I've reviewed almost every movie that I've seen. however, I cannot possibly review "Mulholland Drive" for the simple fact that it is not a movie. It is a collection of incoherent, unrelated scenes that director David Lynch (I'm not sure if that's the right word for him) has sloppily pasted together like a 3rd grade science project into this muddled, 2 1/2 hour mess.So far in my life, I've reviewed almost every movie that I've seen. however, I cannot possibly review "Mulholland Drive" for the simple fact that it is not a movie. It is a collection of incoherent, unrelated scenes that director David Lynch (I'm not sure if that's the right word for him) has sloppily pasted together like a 3rd grade science project into this muddled, 2 1/2 hour mess. That's all I have to say. I can't recommend it or not recommend it, simply because it just isn't really what it says it is. Anyone who can come up with an explanation for what I just witnessed must have a great imagination. Expand
  2. Jan 20, 2013
    David Lynch does and outstanding directing job in the complex thriller and mystery. Like the movie the acting gets better as the movie moves along. The problem is the movie is so complicated you don't really grasp the last 20 minutes because nothing really makes sense.
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    A brilliant film so intelligent and twisted, seeing it once is not enough. I have seen it four times, and after the third, I knew it was one of the most breathtaking, original, and wondrous films ever made. Naomi Watts delivers a flawless performance, and Mr. Lynch directs the film so carefully and precisely, you'll be blown away by the subtleties alone.
  4. May 22, 2015
    I was hesitant coming into this one as my only prior exposure to David Lynch was Wild at Heart, which I completely despised. However, this one is decidedly better and most certainly worthy of the praise heaped upon it. Featuring a great starring turn from the always stellar Naomi Watts and great direction from Lynch, Mulholland Dr seems to be great proof that Lynch hates his audience andI was hesitant coming into this one as my only prior exposure to David Lynch was Wild at Heart, which I completely despised. However, this one is decidedly better and most certainly worthy of the praise heaped upon it. Featuring a great starring turn from the always stellar Naomi Watts and great direction from Lynch, Mulholland Dr seems to be great proof that Lynch hates his audience and typical storytelling conventions, which make for a great combination in this film. One of the most confusing puzzles I have ever come across in film, Mulholland Dr has some seriously great writing and manages to have numerous moving parts that it brings together quite nicely. Not all the pieces fit and it is hard to determine what the puzzle is actually of, but there's an answer somewhere. What the answer is, I have no idea, because I have no idea what I do not know at this point. The film really manages to set you up nicely and the pull the rug right out from under you with constant twists and turns that you do not expect that makes coming to a conclusion about what you just witnessed all the more difficult. All I know is that something sinister is afoot in Hollywood in this film that feels like a nightmare from beginning to end.

*SPOILERS*
    The best conclusion I can come up with is just a fragment of a singular conclusion. For one, it is certainly a comment on people coming to Hollywood who are entirely idealistic and how Hollywood corrupts them, messes with their mind, and makes them entirely jaded. In Hollywood, things seem to happen at random, but rather, they are controlled by a single entity who oversees everything and determines who will have success and who will not have success. The haves and have nots are ultimately determined by who gives in to those in power. If you do, your wildest dreams will come true. However, at the end of the day, to me the key to unlocking this box (lol) is Club Silencio. From that moment in the film on, things certainly take a turn and to fully understand this one, I think that serves as a good starting point. The answer is somewhere there, but what the answer is, I have no idea.
    *END SPOILERS*

Ultimately, Mulholland Dr is a fun film to sit down and try to dissect. It's a beautiful work that deserves the praise it has received in spades and will certainly be a film that keeps me thinking for a while after its ending.
  5. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    Hard to recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen any of Lynch's films, maybe if you watched them in a certain order, you might understand how all his films have reached this point. This is by far his best and most ambitious film. The music, the tone, the acting are perfect in the dreamy landscape he paints.
  6. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is really strange. I don't know what I understood and if that is correct but surely it is strange. I think that the first half until the two women changed places was a lie and it was all an idea and the reality was when they switched roles. But who knows only the cast I guess. As I thought the movie I liked it but I don't know it is really strange and complicated. Maybe the most complicated film ever It has many characters and it gets more complicated all the time. Really strange... Naomi Watts was really good in that film I really liked her. I don't know what else to say. It's not a waste of time for sure... Expand
  7. Aug 27, 2010
    David Lynch presents his greatest stride, giving us a surrealist pop dream that is as irresistible as it is confounding, raising a huge middle finger to Hollywood conventions while never compromising entertainment. The movie stands on its own just fine, but the more movies I watch, the more I see its influences: Bergman's "Persona," Godard's colorful capricious style, Fellini'sDavid Lynch presents his greatest stride, giving us a surrealist pop dream that is as irresistible as it is confounding, raising a huge middle finger to Hollywood conventions while never compromising entertainment. The movie stands on its own just fine, but the more movies I watch, the more I see its influences: Bergman's "Persona," Godard's colorful capricious style, Fellini's self-conscious abstractions, Buñuel's vicious humor. I wouldn't draw such grand comparisons if I felt they weren't earned, but Lynch delivers on every front, giving us a movie that is sure to leave you spellbound. Expand
  8. Sep 21, 2014
    I hated this movie. Now before everyone sends me off to the gallows I'd like to make a few things clear. I'm a very introspective filmgoer. My favorite movie's Inception. I also liked 12 Monkeys and with some effort was able to adequately follow it. Oh, I almost forgot how much I like The Usual Suspects. My point is I like densely plotted movies. I like thick atmosphere, and I enjoyI hated this movie. Now before everyone sends me off to the gallows I'd like to make a few things clear. I'm a very introspective filmgoer. My favorite movie's Inception. I also liked 12 Monkeys and with some effort was able to adequately follow it. Oh, I almost forgot how much I like The Usual Suspects. My point is I like densely plotted movies. I like thick atmosphere, and I enjoy cerebral concepts. Muholland Dr. though is in my opinion just pointless crap. The acting is for some reason purposefully unconvincing. I don't care if Lynch was making a statement about the insincerity of Hollywood, it just doesn't work. It also makes no sense. I'll admit that I fast forwarded a little once I got about an hour or so in, but I just couldn't take it. I couldn't grasp what was going on about 90% of the time. It tries so hard to be confusing and surreal that it becomes almost gag inducing. If it's all supposed to be a dream with no logic or rules to follow than at least make it interesting! This is in my opinion extremely pretentious trash. Sometimes it's moody and it's well shot, but it's not worth it. Will I ever see it again and change my opinions? I don't know, but rest assured that it won't be any time soon. Expand
  9. Mar 17, 2012
    A film that truly i do not know if i will ever fully understand,but every time i see it I get a little bit more of the puzzle together. It is a truly incredible film! The begining pulls you into certain details and completelt throws you off on the plot of the movie. However when it comes to the end of the film you know what you saw and where you saw it. The films visuals are key to theA film that truly i do not know if i will ever fully understand,but every time i see it I get a little bit more of the puzzle together. It is a truly incredible film! The begining pulls you into certain details and completelt throws you off on the plot of the movie. However when it comes to the end of the film you know what you saw and where you saw it. The films visuals are key to the film and they deliver 100 percent. If you are looking for a head scratching mind screwing movie Mulholland dr is for you. Expand
  10. Sep 4, 2013
    Maybe I do not dig David Lynch's style, probably this is not my piece of cake or the movie is just screwed up. A lot of bizarre stuff happening along. A lot of characters whose storylines lead nowhere. Some scenes look out of place, some of them I couldn't take seriously. You start to realize what is happening just about when the movie ends, but still there is a ton of unexplained andMaybe I do not dig David Lynch's style, probably this is not my piece of cake or the movie is just screwed up. A lot of bizarre stuff happening along. A lot of characters whose storylines lead nowhere. Some scenes look out of place, some of them I couldn't take seriously. You start to realize what is happening just about when the movie ends, but still there is a ton of unexplained and obscure stuff. Overall the movie is worth watching because it has become a cult classic and everyone should have his own opinion on it. Expand
  11. Nov 6, 2011
    Its hard for a movie to get a perfect 10 in my book, but this movie did it... alot of mystery, very well paced and once you know whats happening the director mixes things around! Only for the viewer to use their brains to figure out whats happening. After 4 times of watching it I think I figured it out :-)
  12. Oct 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So many issues with this movie. First off the fact that the critics love this blows my mind if for no other reason than there is not a soul in this film that can act. This is the by far the worst acting I have ever seen in a critically acclaimed movie by a big time director. Second if anyone understood this movie upon first viewing I would be shocked. I love a movie that is ambiguous and twists and turns but never before in a viewing experience have I had to look up what a movie means without having an idea in my head of what I thought was going on. After I read some synopsis of the movie and discovered that more than likely most of the movie was a dream: 1. This never occurred to me once during my viewing. 2. It did not surprise me. 3. I did not care one bit. The only reason I give this movie more than a zero rating is because it did engage me enough that I was intrigued to see if the plot was leading somewhere. I guess it did, but certainly nowhere I cared to go. A must miss. Expand
  13. Oct 6, 2010
    Mulholland Drive somehow mixes realism and surrealism together? Somehow leaves you wanting more? Somehow compels you to watch it again and again? How these affects occur is unknown. All I do know is that it is my favourite Lynch movie and is well worthy of its 'universal acclaim' tag. The brilliance of cinema in one film.
  14. Nov 9, 2014
    When I first watched the movie in 2001 I was still hoping Lynch had actually something to say, despite the disappointment with Wild at heart. I was surprised by the high rating and good reviews this movie got, but finally when I watched the movie again tonight on TV I got the point: hot, young, naked actresses and plenty of lesbian sex. Watts and Harring starring as the mysterious Rita andWhen I first watched the movie in 2001 I was still hoping Lynch had actually something to say, despite the disappointment with Wild at heart. I was surprised by the high rating and good reviews this movie got, but finally when I watched the movie again tonight on TV I got the point: hot, young, naked actresses and plenty of lesbian sex. Watts and Harring starring as the mysterious Rita and Betty go all the way, titillating the viewers with their antics.

It is pointless to summarize the plot, since the movie switches into a different one two thirds into the story. Anybody can interpret the complete lack of logic in whichever way they want and then "accuse" whoever does not "get" it of being dumb. The point is, there is nothing to "get", apart from Lynch frustration, unleashed on paying audience, a plot that does not make any sense and a couple of good actresses, only one of them actually making a career out of this crappy movie.
  15. Feb 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. David Lynch makes movies like no one else can, or should attempt. This is probably his best. This film is perplexing, dazzling, terrifying in parts. Each scene stands on its own but the whole forms a grand mystery. Is it a dream? if so whose? How many dreams, how many dreamers? is anything real?

I have my own theory but the film is strong enough to be revisited, for those that want form their own. However it should be stressed this movie is far more than a parlour game, it certainly does not have to be fully understood to be enjoyed.
  16. May 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you thought anything can be so difficult to understand than Memento, try David Lynch's most bizarre masterpiece up to date, Mulholland Drive.

When I first saw this movie, I felt confused at first but amazed by what a twist this Lynch Flick had to offer.

A hidden-well dimensional new masterpiece that tends to distract a viewer. but even though it has some confusing elements and weird directing decisions nothing can resist me to watch everything unfold and get well put into place unexpectedly, as so to understand the film.

Lynch crafts together a requiem of a darker part of Hollywood, in a surreal styled portrait thats more of a homage to Hitchcock, Billy Wilder,and Kubrick, a nightmarish city with a dark underworld of greedy and ambitious movie making business men, an amnesiac (Laura Harring), a rising actress with a dream where she has nothing to lose (Naomi Watts), a mysterious cowboy who seems to be in control over everything, a creepy hobo in the alleyway with a secret, collide together to reveal a haunting mystery that tends to question the unexplainable weirdness thatIi hope you won't be prepared to understand.... yet.

Hard to recommend, since I don't know anyone who would give Lynch a chance but I have to say this is the one of the greatest and most recent neo-noir I have seen and must admit better than Blue Velvet, its like no other mystery I have to see twice.

Weird but exquisite!
  17. Jan 17, 2014
    The obscure magnum opus of one of the greatest. Kaleidoscopic puzzle of uncompromising beauty. Unsettling experience that lingers on you. A true masterpiece.
  18. Mar 25, 2012
    Mulholland Drive has no realistic sequences in it, the whole film takes place in a dream and like a dream, the film focuses on the emotions and makes sense in a very narrow way. That is what makes it such a power punch to experience.
  19. May 1, 2014
    我不明白臭狗屎。什麼他媽的是這部電影呢?典型的大衛·林奇。

That's what I got from this film ^.
    Gets at least an 8 for that amazing lesbian scene. But, this is a brilliant film, regardless, even if I didn't understand **** Standard David Lynch
  20. Dec 30, 2014
    This movie is boring. This is one of those movies that put the enlightened critics against the regular people, i couldnt stand it. You can accuse me of ignorant of whatever, ill say that some of my favourite movies are for example aronofsky s requiem & the fountain, even when they are crazy and they repeat scenes they got sense, a story and they are not showing images and saying "if youThis movie is boring. This is one of those movies that put the enlightened critics against the regular people, i couldnt stand it. You can accuse me of ignorant of whatever, ill say that some of my favourite movies are for example aronofsky s requiem & the fountain, even when they are crazy and they repeat scenes they got sense, a story and they are not showing images and saying "if you dont understand this you are ignorant".

Una peli aburrida. De esas que enfrentan a los críticos con la gente. Me pareció insoportable. Me podrán decir ignorante, pero algunas de mis peliculas favoritas son Requiem y la Fuente de Aronofsky, que a pesar de ser películas bastante peculiares tienen sentido, no se dedican a mostrarte imagenes para luego generar esta sensación de cine "solo para entendidos".
  21. Mar 31, 2012
    I do not understand this movie. Why did that one woman start speaking spanish? Why were not the plot points wrapped up? The worst movie in the world? It does not make any sense.
    It has got interesting scenes , that are kind of like art, and some weird characters and stuff, but it is like someone randomly edited 3 movies into one movie, and there is no connection to the various parts. Does not seem like an actual feature film at all, more like some film student mistake rolled into one big ball, with a few good scenes thrown in.
  22. Apr 16, 2011
    If having to listen to someone tell you about a dream they had is the cliche that represents all boring conversations, I'm not sure why this movie receives acclaim. There certainly is some artistry involved in provoking an emotional response in his audience, and it does feel like being trapped in a dream, but as a loose sequence of non-linear mood-scapes, it feels like you're watching theIf having to listen to someone tell you about a dream they had is the cliche that represents all boring conversations, I'm not sure why this movie receives acclaim. There certainly is some artistry involved in provoking an emotional response in his audience, and it does feel like being trapped in a dream, but as a loose sequence of non-linear mood-scapes, it feels like you're watching the film equivalent of lazy abstract paintings that you're sure were painted by a cat. I found that it angered and bored me simultaneously. And dreams aren't supposed to go on that long. Expand
  23. Jun 24, 2013
    This is one of the best films I have ever seen. Not just because I enjoyed every minute, but I think it's one of the most accomplished story lines and it has some of the most beautiful and emotional scenes I've seen. This is not an airy-fairy abstract concept movie. It makes sense; you just have to think about it a lot. I've watched it twice in three days and I understand it a lot betterThis is one of the best films I have ever seen. Not just because I enjoyed every minute, but I think it's one of the most accomplished story lines and it has some of the most beautiful and emotional scenes I've seen. This is not an airy-fairy abstract concept movie. It makes sense; you just have to think about it a lot. I've watched it twice in three days and I understand it a lot better for it. IMDb has some excellent reviews if you really want to get to grips with it, but I'd recommend just giving it a go for yourself. As Roger Ebert said, this movie is like music: it runs on emotions. There are scenes that will shock you, scare you, scenes that drip with emotion and impact you heavily. If nothing else, you could take it as the sum of its parts and just enjoy it for the full range of different reactions it will provoke from you. It really is saddening to see how dismissive some people have been of this movie. As Lynch said, life is complicated, and so movies should be complicated too. Expand
  24. Nov 14, 2012
    After finishing the film for the first time, having been utterly enthralled by its captivating mystery, I was confused as to what actually occurred; and such represents the true beauty of the film. Following my third viewing, I felt as though the puzzle had been solved to some extent, and it was then that I realized quite how amazing this film really was. It is ultimately a romanticAfter finishing the film for the first time, having been utterly enthralled by its captivating mystery, I was confused as to what actually occurred; and such represents the true beauty of the film. Following my third viewing, I felt as though the puzzle had been solved to some extent, and it was then that I realized quite how amazing this film really was. It is ultimately a romantic tragedy of the greatest depth, tantalising in execution and devastating in its punchlines. Mulholland Dr. represents the Hollywood dream gone awry, the dangers of obsession, the power of fantasies and the deep emotional havoc sparked by regret and unrequited love. David Lynch is an artist. Expand
  25. Dec 22, 2012
    This was voted by the LA Films Critic as the movie of the decade, and for good reason..It is one of the very few movies in which the pieces not only add up to much more than the whole, but also supersede it with a series of (for the most part) fascinating fragments...If you are looking for a linear structure and the typical hollywood garbage, where the story is neatly tied up - this is notThis was voted by the LA Films Critic as the movie of the decade, and for good reason..It is one of the very few movies in which the pieces not only add up to much more than the whole, but also supersede it with a series of (for the most part) fascinating fragments...If you are looking for a linear structure and the typical hollywood garbage, where the story is neatly tied up - this is not the movie for you..The symbolism, dream structure and the overall feeling in this movie is incredible -

For those of you who didnt "get" the movie - you can go on the internet and actually find out that about 95% of the movie can be easily explained..But if you think this movie is bad - you know ZERO about movies - and you are better off watching $hit like Inception..or any quinten tarentino movie David Lynch is amazing and so is this movie...I am so glad there are still true artists out there working today..I have personally not seen a better movie since watching this in 2001..Movie of the decade and one of the best movies ever made - touches parts of your soul and goes places where you never thought possible..You will not understand it the first time, and might not fully comprehend it on future viewings..leave logic at the door..open up your heart and soul and this movie will amaze you 10+++
  26. Gaby
    Sep 5, 2002
    Absolutely amazing. This is the movie i always wanted to see. After Fellini, Lynch is the best. 10000 votes for Naomi Wats-best actress this Year.
  27. AnthonyR.
    Jan 13, 2002
    Never has a movie challenged my mind like this. It is wonderful to see a film that makes you actually think, not only about what is on the screen but also about what it is saying about dreams. As the reviews show, this is decidedly not a film for people who like to go to the movies to have mass-produced entertainment transplanted into their brains. This movie is not candy. You have to work.
  28. PanchoE.
    Apr 14, 2002
    One of the three killer "M" movies of 2001: "Mulholland Drive," "Moulin Rouge," and "Memento." All groundbreakers, and all hopelessly ignored by the old farts at the MPAA. And how in the hell does Naomi Watts get ignored for her role? We'd better see more of Laura Harring, too, or I'm gonna flip out!
  29. TheMoviegoer
    May 5, 2002
    Brilliant. If you don't understand, maybe you aren't meant to understand. I have a complete explanation if anyone is confused, just email me.
  30. ErolO.
    Jun 9, 2003
  31. JohnF.
    Aug 6, 2005
    I want the time I wasted on this film back. It was like watching a drug undused dream (not in a good way). Incoherent nonsense. I'll never watch another Lynch movie again after this debacle.
  32. TomM.
    Feb 8, 2006
    Hey Martin K...the director's name is David Lynch, not Jack Lynch. If you are going to criticise a film, please be somewhat informed This film is lynch's masterpiece. Yes, it is hard to understand, but once you grasp what is going on, you realise how great it really is. This flim does have meaning, Martin K. The first half of the film is a dream, and in the dream Naomi Hey Martin K...the director's name is David Lynch, not Jack Lynch. If you are going to criticise a film, please be somewhat informed This film is lynch's masterpiece. Yes, it is hard to understand, but once you grasp what is going on, you realise how great it really is. This flim does have meaning, Martin K. The first half of the film is a dream, and in the dream Naomi Watts' character incorporates elements of her extremely troubled life, which we see in the second section of the move,....do a bit of research and you might be able to figure that out. The fact that Lynch was able to convert what was in the beginning a TV pilot to a cinematic release ti, quite frankly, amazing. In years to come this, coupled with Twin Peaks, wiill be regarded as Lynch's masterpiece. Expand
  33. MichaelF.
    Oct 18, 2001
    This film is brilliant! Lynch without a debut is insane, but he is brilliant at bringing the thoughts of a psychopath to the big screen. There were parts where I laughed my ass off, then there were parts were I was truly heart-pounded.
  34. VaughanC.
    Oct 20, 2001
    Who else could pull this off?
  35. IsaacJ.
    Oct 27, 2001
    We were confused by the beginning and the ending. The middle was interesting, but not connected to anything that followed or preceded it. They should give out road maps with every ticket.
  36. Zee
    Oct 10, 2002
    I absolutely love Lynch and though i cannot honestly give this a 10, it was a great movie. The reason being: IT MAKES YOU THINK. What one of the other users said was true: Those who didnt like it probably didnt understand it. But think of it this way, at least youre seeing something new. Unlike those pathetic, repetitive, totally idiotic seen-one-seen-em-all teen movies (cough American I absolutely love Lynch and though i cannot honestly give this a 10, it was a great movie. The reason being: IT MAKES YOU THINK. What one of the other users said was true: Those who didnt like it probably didnt understand it. But think of it this way, at least youre seeing something new. Unlike those pathetic, repetitive, totally idiotic seen-one-seen-em-all teen movies (cough American Pie, Road Trip, Van Wilder cough) Mulholland Drive is a movie that tries to do something different, and that in itself is admireable. I mean, in what other movie can you see scary tiny old people running out of blue boxes held by demonic dirty back-alley men? Need i say more? Expand
  37. PaulF.
    Oct 3, 2002
    People who rate this 6 and below are obviously big Michael Bay fans...worry not little hollywood clones, there are more movies that you like than this masterpiece of cinema...such a shame.
  38. JohnM.
    Feb 12, 2002
    Mulholland Drive was SNUBBED at the Oscars!!! Moulin Rouge? A Beautiful Mind? THEY SUCKED! See the REAL movie of 2001: Mulholland Drive is the most innovative and challenging film to come around in years.
  39. JoshT.
    Mar 27, 2002
    Mulholland Drive is not only David Lynch's supreme masterpiece and the best film of 2001, but the finest American film in nearly a decade. Naomi Watts's (dual) performance is unforgettable, and Laura Elena Harring is her match. Peter Deming's atmospheric cinematography and Angelo Badalamenti's ominous score also add tremendously to the film's hypnotic otherworldliness.
  40. JesseS.
    Apr 10, 2002
    This IS a recording, Mullholland Drive was the second best movie of 2001, the only movie that is possibly better than "Moulin Rouge."
  41. JonathanR.
    Apr 9, 2002
    Best movie of last year.
  42. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    Seems to be a response to the phrase "more than the sum of its parts". Left me jarringly perplexed and puzzlingly startled. Now if only the blondes didn't look alike, or it was clearer that they were one and the same if that was the case, I could really just let go of my logic enough for it to work the way it seemingly is supposed to.
  43. Richard
    Sep 4, 2002
    David Lynch's best and most heartfelt movie by a long shot. A stunning performance by Naomi Watts, and expert support all around. This is the first film of Lynch's I've seen where he seems to actually have empathy for his female characters. In the end, enough makes sense in retrospect, and the stuff that doesn't make sense still makes for a captivating and altogether David Lynch's best and most heartfelt movie by a long shot. A stunning performance by Naomi Watts, and expert support all around. This is the first film of Lynch's I've seen where he seems to actually have empathy for his female characters. In the end, enough makes sense in retrospect, and the stuff that doesn't make sense still makes for a captivating and altogether affecting experience. Expand
  44. GilbertMulroneycakes,KnownToMillions
    Oct 29, 2003
    And I thought Adaptation was a mindf**k. Welcome to the parallel universe of David Lynch's head. And right now, he's asleep and having a nightmare. Scenes flow into scenes, giving the impression of a film that makes some kind of sense. And indeed, you can pretty much follow it, sort of - until we enter the Blue Box, and the film implodes. David Lynch's films always implode. And I thought Adaptation was a mindf**k. Welcome to the parallel universe of David Lynch's head. And right now, he's asleep and having a nightmare. Scenes flow into scenes, giving the impression of a film that makes some kind of sense. And indeed, you can pretty much follow it, sort of - until we enter the Blue Box, and the film implodes. David Lynch's films always implode. That usually - as here - comes two-thirds of the way through a promising movie and swallows it completely, ruining everything. But this one...this one's a controlled implosion. David Lynch, at last, is in full control of his nightmare. Before now, his best works had been "The Elephant Man" and "Blue Velvet" - movies that had linear plots, stories that made sense. Woo-hoo. There was "Eraserhead", of course, but that was a little too out-there, with little or no context, nothing for the audience to grab hold of. Things like "Lost Highway" and "Wild At Heart", Dave's earlier attempts at making this film, couldn't quite get the balance right - they were torn between telling a story and just cutting loose. With Mulholland Drive, for the first time, Dave decides "sod the story" as with Lost Highway - but manages to control the madness that ensues. The result is a collection of brilliant scenes (my favourite is the blackly hillarious demonstration of cinematic chaos theory just after the half-hour mark) which flow together, despite not actually fitting together (that early conversation in the restaurant, for example, was never followed up), then eventually, inside the Box, regenerate into a new movie altogether. The only problem is, where does he go from here? This is the film he's wanted to make his entire career. Now he's made it, he might just wander off and never come back. Certainly he hasn't threatened to make a movie since, which is a very human tragedy. (Mind you, there's always www.davidlynch.com - enter only if you have an open mind, a brave heart, and a credit card.) Mulholland Drive then? It's Mad Uncle Dave's new masterpiece, his film that makes little or no sense, yet doesn't care. Sublime. Expand
  45. FongF.
    Mar 16, 2003
    Amazing. Simply amazing. More brain-teasing than 'Memento', deeper than 'Pi' and smoother than 'Lost Highway'. One of my top 5.
  46. Uter
    Sep 7, 2003
    It's a typical Lynch film. It has an awesome start, and then unravels into nonsense. I kinda like how it doesn't make sense though. It gives you some things to think about (and never solve). It's good fun, but only for the person in the right frame of mind.
  47. anto
    Nov 15, 2004
    Really, I understand how people didn't lke this movie. It is not very accesable and all the symbolism and metaphors can create a very pretentious film, however, it does ahve a strong and rather basic plot. !st half is a dream - shot in sequence and that it why it is the more lgical (although cleary it's not logical) half. The second half is comprised of flash-backs of non Really, I understand how people didn't lke this movie. It is not very accesable and all the symbolism and metaphors can create a very pretentious film, however, it does ahve a strong and rather basic plot. !st half is a dream - shot in sequence and that it why it is the more lgical (although cleary it's not logical) half. The second half is comprised of flash-backs of non sequential scenes. They introduce characters in the dream and explain how they got there. This film is basically about love and loss, betrayal and revenge it is not as pretentious or inaccesable as everyone claims. It is different (like a puzzle that you have to piece together) and to those who don't understand it I emplore you to be less lazy that to expect to understand a film straight away, make an effort and spend time unwraping the mystry for yourselves rather than complaining about not understanding it. Expand
  48. SudeepenM.
    Mar 9, 2004
    When it comes to creating an eeire, frightening almost indescibeable film there is only one David Lynch. He uses an extremely intriguing story of amnesia that compels like few other films and adds in thrills and some humour along the way. The most eeire of scenes are created with a mix of ntelligent camera work, a perfect score and very good acting all round. The interest in the When it comes to creating an eeire, frightening almost indescibeable film there is only one David Lynch. He uses an extremely intriguing story of amnesia that compels like few other films and adds in thrills and some humour along the way. The most eeire of scenes are created with a mix of ntelligent camera work, a perfect score and very good acting all round. The interest in the plot's conclusion is not satisfied in the conventional scense rather the film folds up and the conclusion seems further away than ever as the credits roll. This is the uniqueness of the film and what makes it so enjoyable with countless viewings need to unravel the plot. So the immensely enjoyable mood can be experienced time and time again. Expand
  49. Lobo
    Apr 15, 2004
    I dunno, it made no sense.
  50. VilfredoL.
    Aug 7, 2004
    David Lynch's films can be different. That's the best compliment I can give this one. Nothing redeeming, but Betty or Diane will take you on a little ride that may make you wish you'd done some illicit substances so you could have a decent excuse for the time you just wasted. I gave it a 5 because no one would likely read a 9 or 1 since the reviews are that polarized. The David Lynch's films can be different. That's the best compliment I can give this one. Nothing redeeming, but Betty or Diane will take you on a little ride that may make you wish you'd done some illicit substances so you could have a decent excuse for the time you just wasted. I gave it a 5 because no one would likely read a 9 or 1 since the reviews are that polarized. The folks wo gave it a 0 or 1 I understand. Those folks admitted they just pissed away 2 and a half hours. The nines and tens are living proof that you can sell anything. Obviously I just didn't get it, but if you get an hour into this and are waiting for somethig to happen, my advice is shut it off and go watch traffic on the interstate. It can be so much more meaningful. Expand
  51. WilliamS
    Mar 3, 2005
    After watching it three times I finally got it! Once you do get it, you will discover how deep this movie really is! Great acting, and the direction is amazing! David Lynch Does it again.
  52. MikeP.
    Mar 3, 2005
    Liquid poetry. Manifique. Bravo. In a world of films that repetitiously line up and tread the same path to success - at the expense of quality - Lynch went on a different path, that of brillance.
  53. LukeG
    May 9, 2005
    Great movie. Relies too much on its surrealist aura, but still a very intriguing experience.
  54. SM
    Jun 26, 2005
    Lynch's best. Definitly not for all test, but if you love art films, dive into the delirium.
  55. JeffK
    Sep 8, 2005
    Unquestionably the finest American film of 2001 and Lynch's masterpiece. Whereas Lynch's inpenetrable scenes left one dismayed or angry, here they add substantively to the overall ominous tone of the film. The acting is superb, and while it is ultimately devastating, it's also extremely funny and frightening, not to mention what is one of the best lesbian sex scenes ever Unquestionably the finest American film of 2001 and Lynch's masterpiece. Whereas Lynch's inpenetrable scenes left one dismayed or angry, here they add substantively to the overall ominous tone of the film. The acting is superb, and while it is ultimately devastating, it's also extremely funny and frightening, not to mention what is one of the best lesbian sex scenes ever filmed (and I'm a gay man!). Expand
  56. SoulFellaMGTurbo
    Feb 3, 2006
    I can comfortably say that this is my favorite film of all time. It will be very difficult for another to usurp it.
  57. MoviegoerGeek
    Mar 12, 2006
    Don't you ever dream? Didn't you ever remember tiny pieces of it and try to make sense out of it all? Didn't you ever mixed people in your dreams YOU KNOW they don't know each other? Maybe you are to heavy on sleeping pills and this is numbing yourselves. This movie not only DOES have perfect sense. It has many layers beyond the dream/reality sequence. It IS a Don't you ever dream? Didn't you ever remember tiny pieces of it and try to make sense out of it all? Didn't you ever mixed people in your dreams YOU KNOW they don't know each other? Maybe you are to heavy on sleeping pills and this is numbing yourselves. This movie not only DOES have perfect sense. It has many layers beyond the dream/reality sequence. It IS a character study (to those morons saying otherwise) of a really ......up star-wannabe. DREAMS reveal more than yourself than you really are able to believe. In the dream sequence, [***SPOILERS***] there are hints of the guilt Dianne (Betty)experience for having Camille (Rita) killed by the mobster. I'm not doing your homework here: take a further look. DREAMS can also be PREMONITORY (hence the sense of deja-vu we sometimes feel). And Dianne (Betty) sees HER OWN death, only she doesn't know who is the rotted corpse laying in bed (but you can see she FEELS her in her own horrified face). brillant! You peel even further and you realize a "mirror game" depicting a symbolic Hollywood vs. Reality irony. In Hollywood (a.k.a Mulholland Dr.) bad actors rings false and are cartoonish (like Betty herself), while the industry IS the mobster, directors are puppets and the STORY is linear. In Reality, bad actors are messed up, the STORY is twisted, and the Industry and directors won't throw you a bone if you worth ..... Peel further enough, and at the core you will find a history of a rejected love who ends up in tragedy (Dianne killing herself). IT IS NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? This is arguably the best film of the new millenium. The most complex and deep (YES, DEEP) and the most visually stunning. A Masterpiece!! Warning: Don't be a Dianne, USE YOUR BRAINS! Expand
  58. JoshuaR.
    Mar 25, 2006
    All of Lynch's ideas have come to fruition. I saw the film first at the Playcircle Theatre on the University of Wisconsin campus in Madison. Like many, I left the theatre completely puzzled but also intrigued. This is the kind of film you watch again and again, appreciating it's genius ever more with each viewing. Now I'm with steve b. and s. roberts. . .One could analyze All of Lynch's ideas have come to fruition. I saw the film first at the Playcircle Theatre on the University of Wisconsin campus in Madison. Like many, I left the theatre completely puzzled but also intrigued. This is the kind of film you watch again and again, appreciating it's genius ever more with each viewing. Now I'm with steve b. and s. roberts. . .One could analyze this film on so many levels: a jab at hollywood genres, freudian themes, Shakespearian sleep vs wake. Let me just say, I love how the characters' dialogue really does dispell some of the mystery very early on (eg. "it's wierd calling yourself on the phone" and the mystic's "that's not Diane") Expand
  59. M.Carey
    Dec 25, 2001
    So many beautiful women; so many ugly men. And, as Hollywood male fantasy would have it, the beautiful women are attracted to each other and to the ugly men. It's so typical of male directors to ignore the fact that women love to behold male beauty. I think I'll go see The Deep End again so I can watch that gorgeous hunk, Goran Visnjic, heat up the screen. (Sigh!)
  60. BlancoA.
    Oct 26, 2001
    Lynch's best film since "Fire Walk With Me." MUCH better than "Lost Highway." The last hour or so, while not easily understandable, is something one can speculate about, as if he/she were interpreting a dream, which is half the fun of Lynch movies. It certainly doesn't insult your intelligence, and shouldn't be written off by those who don't find Lynch's movies Lynch's best film since "Fire Walk With Me." MUCH better than "Lost Highway." The last hour or so, while not easily understandable, is something one can speculate about, as if he/she were interpreting a dream, which is half the fun of Lynch movies. It certainly doesn't insult your intelligence, and shouldn't be written off by those who don't find Lynch's movies completely accessible. Expand
  61. DeWahaS.
    Jan 11, 2002
    Lynch's best work ever. Creepy, strange, ludicrous, absorbing, erotic, suspenseful...simply unforgettable.
  62. TulseL.
    Jan 21, 2002
    An excellent surreal film.
  63. John
    Dec 15, 2002
    One of the best movies ever made. Art comparable to Lord Jim, Heart of Darkness, Great Gatsby. An addictive movie that expands the mind and compels one to look deeply into oneself. The movie, and the performance of Naomi Watts, so superior as to be simply beyond most people, including or particularly those who run the 'Oscar' system, so to speak, if any.
  64. HeatherH.
    Jan 3, 2002
    This film was absolutely amazing. The only reason I see fit for a reaction of not liking this film is because they did not understand it. That is the way of most of humanity, they don't like what they cannot understand. We all have morbid, somber dreams that pose psychotic questions of reality. That is what is so great about Lynch, he turns his dreams into a sick twisted visual world This film was absolutely amazing. The only reason I see fit for a reaction of not liking this film is because they did not understand it. That is the way of most of humanity, they don't like what they cannot understand. We all have morbid, somber dreams that pose psychotic questions of reality. That is what is so great about Lynch, he turns his dreams into a sick twisted visual world of reality. He shares it with us, and lets the world peer into his obsessions, his fears, and his fantasies. If you would actually like to step outside your stale, unimaginative lines of pop culture, then go see this movie. Expand
  65. ElaineJ.
    Jan 6, 2002
    David Lynch once again challenges us to use our imaginations and dares us to figure out what is real and what is a dream. There is no clear cut answer...it's individual interpretation at its finest and leaves room for many late night debates. This movie is his best work, so far...hands down!
  66. DanielG.
    Mar 17, 2002
    Esta película es la mejor del año. I think Lynch is trying to change our perception of the movie industry, and how we are supposed to watch movies. I saw Mulholland Drive a week ago, and I'm still questioning myself about the plot. Isn't that great?
  67. NickM.
    Apr 12, 2002
    Absolutely brilliant. This film demands attention, and if you're brave enough to do so, you'll be rewarded with amazing style and content.
  68. DerekS.
    Apr 19, 2002
    A masterpiece, I wish more movies like this were made. One of the best if not the best movie of the last decade.
  69. AliciaR.
    Apr 22, 2002
    This guy below me who says this movie didn't make sense, does not know what he's talking about. I saw the movie and after the second time I was able to put it all together and see how well Lynch put this movie together. This movie makes sense and is brilliant!!!!!! Just use your own brain, and you'll get it!
  70. BethyB.
    Apr 24, 2002
    I agree with Seth B. and the guy from the Washinton Post. My thought on this film: SO WHAT?? Think of what this film would be without all these hidden meanings and metaphors; NOTHING!
  71. DanF.
    Apr 29, 2002
    I would have to say this is one of the first movies that I enjoyed but could not fully explain the meaning of the film. Like a strange dream that haunts your waking moments it provokes the imagination and keeps you guessing days after. At times I think I understand it but just at the moment when I'm comfortable with the explaination it all falls apart. For those of you who claim to I would have to say this is one of the first movies that I enjoyed but could not fully explain the meaning of the film. Like a strange dream that haunts your waking moments it provokes the imagination and keeps you guessing days after. At times I think I understand it but just at the moment when I'm comfortable with the explaination it all falls apart. For those of you who claim to have the knowledge of this film please explain in great detail. If you dare. Expand
  72. TH
    May 12, 2002
    Brilliant! Beautiful! Heartbreaking! This film was so carefully crafted and beautifully composed (images as well as sound) it's nothing short of poetry. Yet the quality that puts it above other Lynch films is that it's successfully able to convey deep feeling with such power. This can be mainly attributed to the film's terrific performances, from the main actors to the bit Brilliant! Beautiful! Heartbreaking! This film was so carefully crafted and beautifully composed (images as well as sound) it's nothing short of poetry. Yet the quality that puts it above other Lynch films is that it's successfully able to convey deep feeling with such power. This can be mainly attributed to the film's terrific performances, from the main actors to the bit players -- every line is exquisitely delivered, every gesture carefully captured on film. For those naysayers who feel this movie was pretentious, I will admit that at times it was "a bit forced, but still humanistic." But that can be forgiven since the story is...[spoiler omitted] Expand
  73. S.Iverson
    May 23, 2002
    In response to Betty B., who said "Think of what this film would be without all these hidden meanings and metaphors; NOTHING!" -- I would only say: think of what King Lear would be without all those hidden meanings and metaphors; NOTHING! You get my point.
  74. SteveM.
    May 26, 2002
    I saw the film once. The beginning was engrossing. Lynch has an excellent way of entering into scenes in such a manner that leave one off balance. But the film degenerates into a morally repugnant and incoherent mess towards the end. I have no idea what it means, nor do I think that David Lynch knows what the movie means. Art needs to have meaning, even if the meaning goes beyond the I saw the film once. The beginning was engrossing. Lynch has an excellent way of entering into scenes in such a manner that leave one off balance. But the film degenerates into a morally repugnant and incoherent mess towards the end. I have no idea what it means, nor do I think that David Lynch knows what the movie means. Art needs to have meaning, even if the meaning goes beyond the intentions of the artist. But a basic necessity is that at face value a work needs some meaning. As usual, David Lynch displays enormous talent but refuses to employ his gifts on worthwhile projects. The Straight Story was an exception, and was excellent. The fact that Roger Ebert liked the film so much clued me in to the film. If Ebert likes a film too much or Roeper at all, skip the movie, it is not worth it. Expand
  75. JackMoviegoer
    May 6, 2002
    Sweet jesus. This should really be graded as two movies. Until the random lesbian scene--which was stimulating while absolutely unnecessary--this movie was good, almost excellent. After that scene, what follows is not a movie, cannot be considered "powerful," "good," or even creative. I used to wonder whether or not David Lynch did drugs. I wonder no longer. He needs help. Now.
  76. KiL.
    Jun 15, 2002
    I agree with The Moviegoer - this is a great, intruiging, initially baffling movie which (I think) definitely has a complete explanation. The key scene unlocking the mystery for me was when the Cowboy "spoke" to Naomi Watts...
  77. LindhI.
    Jun 22, 2002
    Lynch's best movie ever!
  78. JohnS.
    Jun 25, 2002
    Perfect!!!! And it was not that confusing. It was very intelligent, but why all the misunderstanding...[***Potential Spoiler***] The first half is a dream and the second her waking like. Simple.
  79. TheMovieMistress
    Jun 8, 2002
    In response to The Moviegoer, I just want to start with a quote: Just because you are misunderstood does not make you an artist. David Lynch should have remembered this when making this movie. The only reason I gave it a 1 was because it had potential to be a beautifully haunting a powerful movie. However, it fell short, incredibly short. While making some powerful artistic choices, Lych In response to The Moviegoer, I just want to start with a quote: Just because you are misunderstood does not make you an artist. David Lynch should have remembered this when making this movie. The only reason I gave it a 1 was because it had potential to be a beautifully haunting a powerful movie. However, it fell short, incredibly short. While making some powerful artistic choices, Lych made the mistake of making Betty and Rita lesbians. After that the movie went to hell, not to mention that the powerful choice would have been to make them attracted, but not fall into the trap of having them sexually involved. I think that after that point the movie simply went bad. The movie as it was had no plot or character development, but I had more faith in David Lynch's ability. I was very disappointed. I am not ashamed to say that at some point I didn't understand where it was going, for even when I tried, pieces still didn't fit. I think it was poorly conceived, which is a shame, for it had a lot of potential. Expand
  80. MovieBuff
    Jul 10, 2002
    This movie was simply amazing. My friends rented it. At first I didn't even want to watch it, since there was a card game going on downstairs but I stayed to watch the movie and am glad I did. Lynch shines in this twisted thriller. Let me tell you how one movie can get 10's by some and 1's by others. The people who didn't like the movie DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE This movie was simply amazing. My friends rented it. At first I didn't even want to watch it, since there was a card game going on downstairs but I stayed to watch the movie and am glad I did. Lynch shines in this twisted thriller. Let me tell you how one movie can get 10's by some and 1's by others. The people who didn't like the movie DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE MOVIE. That's it! If you are the type of person that needs everything handed to them on a silver platter then this movie is not for you. Let me explain this movie VERY briefly to the dazed and confused. [***WARNING---the following is a SPOILER and should not be read by people who haven't seen the movie***] Ok the reason there are so many people confused by this movie is because the first 75% of it gives us different impressions of who people are then what they turn out to be in the end. The first half of the movie people's names and relationships to other people mean NOTHING. Just pretend they have no names and aren't related. They are ONLY THERE to introduce characters. PERIOD. That's it. For example, the dude that killed the fat lady and that other guy was only there to show us that he was a killer and a very mean person :-) Nothing else matters. Once they open the box, then AND ONLY THEN are the names of people and there relationships correct. Think of it as opening pandora's box. So Lynch made us think that the dead girl laying on the bed was supposed to be one person, then when they go back to the APT AFTER they open the box you find out who it really is. Ok that's enough of an explanation. This movie is incredible and the only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because it did drag out a little. Lynch could have cut out a couple parts in the middle to make it about 20 minutes less. But otherwise a superb film! Expand
  81. Hypersnazz!
    Aug 4, 2002
    This film's only redeeming quality was the scene from Silencio in which the assertion was made, 'this is all a recording.' So the movie didn't make sense from a logical standpoint. Fine. So it failed to maintain a coherent plot. That's all right. The Wall didn't really make much sense in either respect either. However, Lynch forgot in his artistic pretense to This film's only redeeming quality was the scene from Silencio in which the assertion was made, 'this is all a recording.' So the movie didn't make sense from a logical standpoint. Fine. So it failed to maintain a coherent plot. That's all right. The Wall didn't really make much sense in either respect either. However, Lynch forgot in his artistic pretense to include a point. The implication doesn't work in reverse...genius is often misunderstood, but being misunderstood (especially if you're doing it on purpose) does not qualify as genius. Expand
  82. MarkM.
    Sep 9, 2002
    Inexplicable but compelling.
  83. ChrisM.
    Oct 1, 2003
    One of my favourite movies! why? Because it's a film during which you have to think. I'm sorry for those who gave this film a bad rating. Just watch again, and perhaps then you will be able to understand it.
  84. KelR.
    Dec 4, 2003
    I can't even describe how disqusted I am. This movie is sheer garbage. It reminded me of those cpappy b-title movies but with less of a plot. I love psychological thrillers, but this was a porno flick pretending to be one. I really think you people need to put down either the crack pipe or the vaseline and see this movie for what it really is...TRASH.
  85. MalA.
    Oct 6, 2003
    Dark and surreal, Lynch paints an abstract portrait of the Hollywood movie machine, and how it prompts the self-destruction of its central character. Utterly absorbing and richly rewarding.
  86. EricC.
    Feb 8, 2003
    This was the first film in which I asked myself the question, "Was that a movie?" Because when it all ended, the story confused the heck out of me. But not in a bad way at all. In fact, I enjoyed figuring out all of the plot after it was all done. The direction by David Lynch was also on of the most intriguing that I've ever seen. I'm not really sure how to describe the movie, This was the first film in which I asked myself the question, "Was that a movie?" Because when it all ended, the story confused the heck out of me. But not in a bad way at all. In fact, I enjoyed figuring out all of the plot after it was all done. The direction by David Lynch was also on of the most intriguing that I've ever seen. I'm not really sure how to describe the movie, so it's hard to give a clear review. All I can say is that if you want to watch something completely different than what you've normally watched, give this one a shot. Expand
  87. SteveE.
    Apr 4, 2003
    Brilliant... Just amazing.
  88. Pasco
    May 3, 2003
    Fantastic and eerie. I have watched it over and over and I still really don't quite understand the ending but thats part of the appeal.
  89. Ross
    Jul 13, 2003
    A waste of 2 hours of time. One of the worst video purchases I've ever made.
  90. JimW.
    Jul 5, 2003
    The first non-musical musical. I say that because the film affects you emotionally, like good music, even if you don't always understand the lyrics.
  91. BenW.
    Aug 28, 2003
    I hardly understood it, but i'm working on that. one of my fav movies of all time, for some f...ed-up reason. everything about it's just so perfect and compulsively watchable. a first-rate thriller.
  92. Istvan
    Sep 22, 2003
    A return to the Lynch-canon in the worst way: a bunch of recycled old motifs waiting hopelessly for a clue, plus a bugaboo round the corner. By the way, arbitrariness it's just not art. With films like this David Lynch surely is a director for the intellectually immature.
  93. YoonC.
    Sep 23, 2003
    Lynch's best film since Eraserhead and one of the greastest achievements in cinema. It maps out the intersections of neural highways where past and present, hope and despair, love and hate, trust and paranoia all zip across, sometimes colliding into a wreckage of madness. The basic story is that of an actress who takes disparate elements of her failed life and reconstructs in her Lynch's best film since Eraserhead and one of the greastest achievements in cinema. It maps out the intersections of neural highways where past and present, hope and despair, love and hate, trust and paranoia all zip across, sometimes colliding into a wreckage of madness. The basic story is that of an actress who takes disparate elements of her failed life and reconstructs in her doped-out, alcohol induced mind what could have been, might have been, should have been. Unnerving and disturbing, but in truth an exploration of potential madness fueled by despair and desperation that lies beneath us all. Expand
  94. AndrewM.
    May 16, 2004
    Yeah, brilliant...just brilliant. My first rummage into that which is David Lynch's world and it's quite a fascinating realm! A lot of things come together in this film to make it work but the binding force is Lynch's direction and vision. This is a film to divide people like no other; some will like it, others will not; some will understand it, most will not! While it may Yeah, brilliant...just brilliant. My first rummage into that which is David Lynch's world and it's quite a fascinating realm! A lot of things come together in this film to make it work but the binding force is Lynch's direction and vision. This is a film to divide people like no other; some will like it, others will not; some will understand it, most will not! While it may be hard (if not difficult) to confidently illustrate the plot in detail, everyone can glean their own understanding from it, and most will link in some way. A truly fascinating dream of a film that anyone brave enough to experience a head trip should see. Expand
  95. DaveC.
    Jun 23, 2004
    You want to get an idea of how great David Lynch's near masterpiece is? Simple. Just compare it to Richard Kelly's supremely trite and overrated Donnie Darko which came out two months later. Unlike that film, which was more smugly convoluted than interesting, Mulholland Drive intoxicates the viewer with its surreal atmosphere, alluring mystery a few of Lynch's signature You want to get an idea of how great David Lynch's near masterpiece is? Simple. Just compare it to Richard Kelly's supremely trite and overrated Donnie Darko which came out two months later. Unlike that film, which was more smugly convoluted than interesting, Mulholland Drive intoxicates the viewer with its surreal atmosphere, alluring mystery a few of Lynch's signature surreal touches. The result is a film which like all great mysteries displays more than enough aesthetic integrity to keep the viewer interested and wanting to know the secrets behind its fascinating, ambiguous characters. I've given it a 9 instead of a 10 because it doesn't quite have the distinctive eccentricity that made Blue Velvet an arthouse classic nor does it come off as much of a focused social critique. Never the less, it is my third favorite David Lynch film after Blue Velvet and Eraserhead a very highly recommended to the more adventuring among film-viewers. A challenging and rewarding film (even if you don't figure it out). Expand
  96. ChristofferS.
    Jun 29, 2004
    I've watched it over and over again, and it's as fascinating the last time as the first. The mood is perfect and you discover new things each time. A classic.
  97. s.roberts
    Nov 13, 2005
    There are not enough positive words to describe this movie and the experience of watching it.
  98. steveb.
    Nov 16, 2005
    I refuse to be friends with anyone who has not at some point in their lives said "this is the best movie ever!"
  99. MikeS.
    Jan 24, 2005
    This is the best movie I have ever seen! It going to be hard for David Lynch to make another great movie as this! Everything in this movie makes sense, you just have to watch it a couple of times!

Lynch's Hollywood is a grand old girl, but she's one with some very treacherous curves. To trace the contours of her sensuality, you need a camera as sensitive as a set of fingertips. Lynch's is.
  2. Like "Memento," Mulholland Drive is an amnesiac noir in the tradition that goes back to "Spellbound" and "Somewhere in the Night."
  3. It will frustrate viewers who like stories to make instant sense, but fans of provocative puzzles will have mind-teasing fun.