Universal Pictures | Release Date: October 12, 2001
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 463 Ratings
Watch Now
pugownerOct 23, 2017
Easily one of the best movies of all time. David Lynch is absolute master of magic realism, dream logic, surrealism, and unsettling an audience. This isn't a movie you can watch casually, it will require your full attention. I wasn't evenEasily one of the best movies of all time. David Lynch is absolute master of magic realism, dream logic, surrealism, and unsettling an audience. This isn't a movie you can watch casually, it will require your full attention. I wasn't even sure I liked it the first time I saw it. But after rewatching it twice now, I can assure you it's some of Lynch's best work and probably one of my favorite films of all time. If you like movies that hold your hand and follow film conventions that have been beaten into the ground for decades, that's fine. But if you want a movie that pushes the boundaries of what film can be, if you want a movie that actually feels like it means something to the director and his audience...watch Mulholland Drive. Expand
avr50May 26, 2017
Mulholland drive is a great movie. David Lynch bravura direction is the best in the movie, is like he´s there watching all the madness happening and laughing at us reacting to that. This movie has no structure (and in this case is a goodMulholland drive is a great movie. David Lynch bravura direction is the best in the movie, is like he´s there watching all the madness happening and laughing at us reacting to that. This movie has no structure (and in this case is a good thing) and is what it makes it s special and so memorable. Naomi Watts is perfect as Betty, we belueved in her inocence but also in her inner beast. The only problem of the film is that some scenes are too long to keep viewers amusement. Overall, this movie is really worth watching (only if you love cinema) Expand
qamasterJan 15, 2017
the best film of all time. the quintessence of the cinematic art. a masterpiece in every respect: the script, directing, the actors play, music. It is a pity that the film did not get enough Oscars. It's a pity that metacritic do not have athe best film of all time. the quintessence of the cinematic art. a masterpiece in every respect: the script, directing, the actors play, music. It is a pity that the film did not get enough Oscars. It's a pity that metacritic do not have a score of more than ten, because I would gave for this movie 12 Expand
MattBrady99Dec 31, 2016
"When you see the girl in the picture that was shown to you earlier today, you will say, "this is the girl". The rest of the cast can stay, that's up to you. But the choice for that lead girl is NOT up to you. Now... you will see me one more"When you see the girl in the picture that was shown to you earlier today, you will say, "this is the girl". The rest of the cast can stay, that's up to you. But the choice for that lead girl is NOT up to you. Now... you will see me one more time, if you do good. You will see me... two more times, if you do bad. Good night."

Back in early 2015, I watched "Mulholland Drive" and my first reaction were mostly positive. I didn't know what to think of it, but I was so in awe with the film that I couldn't stop thinking about it. The reason for not reviewing it back then is because I just wasn't ready to talk about it. This massive delay cause me to forget about it, as at the time, I had a lot of things on my mind.

But after re-watching it, it's better on the second watch. I loved "Mulholland Drive". It's both effective, depressing, and strange. I would go as far to say that it's a masterpiece.

David Lynch is a master of his craft who's always misunderstood. The dreamy atmosphere is terrifying and yet draws you in. Only he can do it. To strike an emotionally core with you that hits you hard, despite not knowing what's going on. People are so in awe of his work, even when nobody understands him. But strangely, that doesn't matter.
imnamineDec 18, 2016
Mulholland Dr. certainly isn't a movie for everyone. But at the same time, it may be the best movie from David Lynch.
I won't say anything about the story. But I'm going to say something about the movie itself : oneiric. It's a movie and an experience, an affordable experience.
Of course it has flaws, it's not perfect, but my review is just there to say one thing : go and watch it. Maybe you'll love it. Maybe you'll hate it.
YerczeysOct 8, 2016
I watched this movie on a recommendation from a friend and I have almost never been so dissatisfied. I didn't know who David Lynch was prior to this experience but after this blunder alone I'll be avoiding his work like it's selling me onI watched this movie on a recommendation from a friend and I have almost never been so dissatisfied. I didn't know who David Lynch was prior to this experience but after this blunder alone I'll be avoiding his work like it's selling me on Scientology. The closest I can come to describing this movie is a cinematic Jackson Pollock painting. Perhaps I'm just simple (It's possible) but at no point did this show have anything that felt like a coherent story to me. I've never had to watch any movie more than once to "get it" and at the end of this viewing I felt both baffled and irritable. I walked away from it with the sensation that what I was told was a masterpiece was nothing more than a pretentious mess. There may be a real story hidden in there but if your audience has to venture online to figure out what's going on then you've failed as a director. Well, failed in the eyes of a layman such as myself. If you liked the movie, I'm happy you enjoyed it, but personally I thought it was crap. Expand
PoonisharSep 26, 2016
David lynch creates a typical and welcome rich and twisted thriller that can be so open to personal interpretation it really is a marvel. It's the kind of film that you probably won't fully get after an initial viewing (and possibly manyDavid lynch creates a typical and welcome rich and twisted thriller that can be so open to personal interpretation it really is a marvel. It's the kind of film that you probably won't fully get after an initial viewing (and possibly many more) but it such a wonderful mystery that unfolds that you want to rewatch and study. There is a method in the madness, and it's one of the greatest and most unique films I've ever seen. Expand
bobmeierMay 23, 2016
In the last 20 years, this would be my favorite film. There is something about this that is unforgettable. I can't really describe what it is about this film that continues to fascinate and please me. But it does and if you haven't seen it,In the last 20 years, this would be my favorite film. There is something about this that is unforgettable. I can't really describe what it is about this film that continues to fascinate and please me. But it does and if you haven't seen it, please do. And if you don't like it, please don't talk to me about cinema. We're not on the same page. Expand
HotelCentralApr 13, 2016
Maybe it's art. Maybe it's symbols. Maybe it's all metaphors. I give the film a five because -- who knows? -- maybe I'm just too dense to grasp the hidden meanings. I watched about half an hour and thought the characters less thanMaybe it's art. Maybe it's symbols. Maybe it's all metaphors. I give the film a five because -- who knows? -- maybe I'm just too dense to grasp the hidden meanings. I watched about half an hour and thought the characters less than believable and frankly just a bit silly. And when I start rolling my eyes I'm done.

I mean, Goodfellas was believable. LA Confidential was believable. Mulholland Dr., to my peasant sensibilities, seems like schlock.
inkblowoutFeb 26, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My first movie review on metacritc and I've decided to do a movie which didn't impress me at all. Watching movies like Primer, Momento, Triangle, and Pulp Fiction I was recommended by a friend to watch this movie. So I did watch it, and I had high expectations for it because everyone was praising this movie as a masterpiece so my standard for this movie was 9/10.

So after watching this movie (with an open mind and watching all the details.) I thought to myself. "what the hell did I just watch?" The movie was so weird after the 1 hour and 55 minute mark that it was confusing but in a terrible way. Scenes didn't make sense, transitions were awful and abrupt that I couldn't tell what if it was a "flashback" or if it was real life. The movie asked more questions then rather just answered them. If David Lynch could have executed these scenes a lot better instead of adding nonsense scenes in the first part of the film this movie could have been a lot better. And it seems that David Lynch has never had a dream before because half the time Rita was focused in the first 80% of the film. And since it's Diane's dream... wouldn't the dream be in Diane/Betty's prospective because it's her dream and not Rita's?

The problem with this movie is that it couldn't make it's point clear like the other movies I have watched, (momento, triangle, primer all had moral elements that were clear to the audience.) This movie relied on too many symbols and elements that can only be caught in a 3rd time viewing this movie. But Naomi's Acting was amazing and I found the "dream's plot" somewhat interesting but after Rita looked in the Blue Box... all hell went loose and that's why this movie deserves a 5/10. I would recommend if you are a David Lynch fan but if you are looking for a causal mind twisting movie.. then skip it.
RobertBroganOct 5, 2015
Mulholland Dr. does not have to be understood to be an interesting experience. I still do not completely understand it, but get something more out of it each time I watch it, and always enjoy the distinctive style and vibe (reminiscent of 80sMulholland Dr. does not have to be understood to be an interesting experience. I still do not completely understand it, but get something more out of it each time I watch it, and always enjoy the distinctive style and vibe (reminiscent of 80s music videos, but with a 90s mood). One gets the impression that it is not a cheap, gimmicky mystery but rather it is somehow coherent and that makes it open to rewatchings and discussion. It is like a jigsaw puzzle you cannot finish, because it seems like pieces are missing from it, but you later come back and find there are few more and fit them in. The performance by Naomi Watts contributes to the rewatchability of the film. A film about illusions needs a convincing character to be believed. Expand
VinceRocks123Jun 24, 2015
If you thought anything can be so difficult to understand than Lost Highway, try David Lynch's most bizarre masterpiece up to date, Mulholland Drive.

When I first saw this movie, I felt confused at first but amazed by what a twist this Lynch Flick had to offer.
puts the viewer in a mystery unlike anything they have seen. but even though it has Lynch's seal of weirdness and bizzarity nothing can resist me to watch everything unfold and get well put into place unexpectedly, as so to understand the film.

Lynch crafts together a requiem of a darker part of Hollywood, in a surreal styled portrait thats more of a homage to Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, and Rod Serling, a twilight zone styled Hollywood with a dark underbelly of greedy and ambitious movie making business men, an amnesiac who goes by the name of "Rita" (Laura Harring), a rising wannabe actress with a dream where she has nothing to lose (Naomi Watts), a mysterious cowboy who seems to be in control over everything, a creepy deformed human in the alleyway with a secret, collide together to reveal a haunting mystery that tends to question the unexplainable weirdness that you won't be prepared to understand.... yet.

Hard to recommend, since I don't know anyone who would give Lynch a chance but I have to say this is one of the greatest and most recent neo-noir I have seen and must admit better than Blue Velvet, its like no other mystery That you will have to see twice
SpangleMay 22, 2015
I was hesitant coming into this one as my only prior exposure to David Lynch was Wild at Heart, which I completely despised. However, this one is decidedly better and most certainly worthy of the praise heaped upon it. Featuring a greatI was hesitant coming into this one as my only prior exposure to David Lynch was Wild at Heart, which I completely despised. However, this one is decidedly better and most certainly worthy of the praise heaped upon it. Featuring a great starring turn from the always stellar Naomi Watts and great direction from Lynch, Mulholland Dr seems to be great proof that Lynch hates his audience and typical storytelling conventions, which make for a great combination in this film. One of the most confusing puzzles I have ever come across in film, Mulholland Dr has some seriously great writing and manages to have numerous moving parts that it brings together quite nicely. Not all the pieces fit and it is hard to determine what the puzzle is actually of, but there's an answer somewhere. What the answer is, I have no idea, because I have no idea what I do not know at this point. The film really manages to set you up nicely and the pull the rug right out from under you with constant twists and turns that you do not expect that makes coming to a conclusion about what you just witnessed all the more difficult. All I know is that something sinister is afoot in Hollywood in this film that feels like a nightmare from beginning to end.

*SPOILERS*
The best conclusion I can come up with is just a fragment of a singular conclusion. For one, it is certainly a comment on people coming to Hollywood who are entirely idealistic and how Hollywood corrupts them, messes with their mind, and makes them entirely jaded. In Hollywood, things seem to happen at random, but rather, they are controlled by a single entity who oversees everything and determines who will have success and who will not have success. The haves and have nots are ultimately determined by who gives in to those in power. If you do, your wildest dreams will come true. However, at the end of the day, to me the key to unlocking this box (lol) is Club Silencio. From that moment in the film on, things certainly take a turn and to fully understand this one, I think that serves as a good starting point. The answer is somewhere there, but what the answer is, I have no idea.
*END SPOILERS*

Ultimately, Mulholland Dr is a fun film to sit down and try to dissect. It's a beautiful work that deserves the praise it has received in spades and will certainly be a film that keeps me thinking for a while after its ending.
ApolscDec 30, 2014
This movie is boring. This is one of those movies that put the enlightened critics against the regular people, i couldnt stand it. You can accuse me of ignorant of whatever, ill say that some of my favourite movies are for example aronofsky sThis movie is boring. This is one of those movies that put the enlightened critics against the regular people, i couldnt stand it. You can accuse me of ignorant of whatever, ill say that some of my favourite movies are for example aronofsky s requiem & the fountain, even when they are crazy and they repeat scenes they got sense, a story and they are not showing images and saying "if you dont understand this you are ignorant".

Una peli aburrida. De esas que enfrentan a los críticos con la gente. Me pareció insoportable. Me podrán decir ignorante, pero algunas de mis peliculas favoritas son Requiem y la Fuente de Aronofsky, que a pesar de ser películas bastante peculiares tienen sentido, no se dedican a mostrarte imagenes para luego generar esta sensación de cine "solo para entendidos".
dierregiNov 9, 2014
When I first watched the movie in 2001 I was still hoping Lynch had actually something to say, despite the disappointment with Wild at heart. I was surprised by the high rating and good reviews this movie got, but finally when I watched theWhen I first watched the movie in 2001 I was still hoping Lynch had actually something to say, despite the disappointment with Wild at heart. I was surprised by the high rating and good reviews this movie got, but finally when I watched the movie again tonight on TV I got the point: hot, young, naked actresses and plenty of lesbian sex. Watts and Harring starring as the mysterious Rita and Betty go all the way, titillating the viewers with their antics.

It is pointless to summarize the plot, since the movie switches into a different one two thirds into the story. Anybody can interpret the complete lack of logic in whichever way they want and then "accuse" whoever does not "get" it of being dumb. The point is, there is nothing to "get", apart from Lynch frustration, unleashed on paying audience, a plot that does not make any sense and a couple of good actresses, only one of them actually making a career out of this crappy movie.
BradySmithSep 21, 2014
I hated this movie. Now before everyone sends me off to the gallows I'd like to make a few things clear. I'm a very introspective filmgoer. My favorite movie's Inception. I also liked 12 Monkeys and with some effort was able to adequatelyI hated this movie. Now before everyone sends me off to the gallows I'd like to make a few things clear. I'm a very introspective filmgoer. My favorite movie's Inception. I also liked 12 Monkeys and with some effort was able to adequately follow it. Oh, I almost forgot how much I like The Usual Suspects. My point is I like densely plotted movies. I like thick atmosphere, and I enjoy cerebral concepts. Muholland Dr. though is in my opinion just pointless crap. The acting is for some reason purposefully unconvincing. I don't care if Lynch was making a statement about the insincerity of Hollywood, it just doesn't work. It also makes no sense. I'll admit that I fast forwarded a little once I got about an hour or so in, but I just couldn't take it. I couldn't grasp what was going on about 90% of the time. It tries so hard to be confusing and surreal that it becomes almost gag inducing. If it's all supposed to be a dream with no logic or rules to follow than at least make it interesting! This is in my opinion extremely pretentious trash. Sometimes it's moody and it's well shot, but it's not worth it. Will I ever see it again and change my opinions? I don't know, but rest assured that it won't be any time soon. Expand
MovieGuysJul 2, 2014
So far in my life, I've reviewed almost every movie that I've seen. however, I cannot possibly review "Mulholland Drive" for the simple fact that it is not a movie. It is a collection of incoherent, unrelated scenes that director David LynchSo far in my life, I've reviewed almost every movie that I've seen. however, I cannot possibly review "Mulholland Drive" for the simple fact that it is not a movie. It is a collection of incoherent, unrelated scenes that director David Lynch (I'm not sure if that's the right word for him) has sloppily pasted together like a 3rd grade science project into this muddled, 2 1/2 hour mess. That's all I have to say. I can't recommend it or not recommend it, simply because it just isn't really what it says it is. Anyone who can come up with an explanation for what I just witnessed must have a great imagination. Expand
Bob_LoblawMay 1, 2014
我不明白臭狗屎。什麼他媽的是這部電影呢?典型的大衛·林奇。

That's what I got from this film ^. Gets at least an 8 for that amazing lesbian scene. But, this is a brilliant film, regardless, even if I didn't understand **** Standard David Lynch
我不明白臭狗屎。什麼他媽的是這部電影呢?典型的大衛·林奇。

That's what I got from this film ^.
MarkAngelJan 17, 2014
The obscure magnum opus of one of the greatest. Kaleidoscopic puzzle of uncompromising beauty. Unsettling experience that lingers on you. A true masterpiece.
StaticSpineSep 4, 2013
Maybe I do not dig David Lynch's style, probably this is not my piece of cake or the movie is just screwed up. A lot of bizarre stuff happening along. A lot of characters whose storylines lead nowhere. Some scenes look out of place, some ofMaybe I do not dig David Lynch's style, probably this is not my piece of cake or the movie is just screwed up. A lot of bizarre stuff happening along. A lot of characters whose storylines lead nowhere. Some scenes look out of place, some of them I couldn't take seriously. You start to realize what is happening just about when the movie ends, but still there is a ton of unexplained and obscure stuff. Overall the movie is worth watching because it has become a cult classic and everyone should have his own opinion on it. Expand
KivaAug 22, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is really strange. I don't know what I understood and if that is correct but surely it is strange. I think that the first half until the two women changed places was a lie and it was all an idea and the reality was when they switched roles. But who knows only the cast I guess. As I thought the movie I liked it but I don't know it is really strange and complicated. Maybe the most complicated film ever It has many characters and it gets more complicated all the time. Really strange... Naomi Watts was really good in that film I really liked her. I don't know what else to say. It's not a waste of time for sure... Expand
tomfleet94Jun 24, 2013
This is one of the best films I have ever seen. Not just because I enjoyed every minute, but I think it's one of the most accomplished story lines and it has some of the most beautiful and emotional scenes I've seen. This is not an airy-fairyThis is one of the best films I have ever seen. Not just because I enjoyed every minute, but I think it's one of the most accomplished story lines and it has some of the most beautiful and emotional scenes I've seen. This is not an airy-fairy abstract concept movie. It makes sense; you just have to think about it a lot. I've watched it twice in three days and I understand it a lot better for it. IMDb has some excellent reviews if you really want to get to grips with it, but I'd recommend just giving it a go for yourself. As Roger Ebert said, this movie is like music: it runs on emotions. There are scenes that will shock you, scare you, scenes that drip with emotion and impact you heavily. If nothing else, you could take it as the sum of its parts and just enjoy it for the full range of different reactions it will provoke from you. It really is saddening to see how dismissive some people have been of this movie. As Lynch said, life is complicated, and so movies should be complicated too. Expand
supa_man94Apr 15, 2013
This movie is just a load of complete nonsense. There are 3 or 4 plots intertwined which seem to have absolutely no relation with each other until the very underwhelming "twist" at the end, which ultimately left me with a a frustrated feelingThis movie is just a load of complete nonsense. There are 3 or 4 plots intertwined which seem to have absolutely no relation with each other until the very underwhelming "twist" at the end, which ultimately left me with a a frustrated feeling because I felt that none of my questions were really truly answered. Another thing that left me frustrated was the fact that the movie barely gave the audience enough to deduce what was going on, it was as if the writers wanted us to just guess what happened in more than half the movie. On the good side, at least the acting was decent.

At the end of the day, you just feel like you wasted 2 hours of your life watching a movie that just tries too hard and over-complicates everything. Thanks David Lynch, but no thanks, I'll stick with "Memento".
blooddiabloMar 4, 2013
Seems to me that some meaning of scenes is still mystic and open to interpretation. David Lynch is the only one genius bring me fuzz even after 10-time re-watch.
davehollandFeb 22, 2013
People who can understand the story and the behind-story meaning will know that this is a masterpiece! But i saw many people lack the ability of thinking keep putting dumb review on this, really pathetic. If one know about Sigmund Freud thePeople who can understand the story and the behind-story meaning will know that this is a masterpiece! But i saw many people lack the ability of thinking keep putting dumb review on this, really pathetic. If one know about Sigmund Freud the interpretation of Dream" you would know how accurate the scenario Mulholland drive achieved, much better than some easy trick and twist movies. Most important is people don't get that the secret of the blue key and what Diane represented for. If you don't understand, watch more and you would find the key, not for Diane, its for you Expand
csw12Jan 20, 2013
David Lynch does and outstanding directing job in the complex thriller and mystery. Like the movie the acting gets better as the movie moves along. The problem is the movie is so complicated you don't really grasp the last 20 minutes becauseDavid Lynch does and outstanding directing job in the complex thriller and mystery. Like the movie the acting gets better as the movie moves along. The problem is the movie is so complicated you don't really grasp the last 20 minutes because nothing really makes sense. Expand
akamarbDec 22, 2012
This was voted by the LA Films Critic as the movie of the decade, and for good reason..It is one of the very few movies in which the pieces not only add up to much more than the whole, but also supersede it with a series of (for the mostThis was voted by the LA Films Critic as the movie of the decade, and for good reason..It is one of the very few movies in which the pieces not only add up to much more than the whole, but also supersede it with a series of (for the most part) fascinating fragments...If you are looking for a linear structure and the typical hollywood garbage, where the story is neatly tied up - this is not the movie for you..The symbolism, dream structure and the overall feeling in this movie is incredible -

For those of you who didnt "get" the movie - you can go on the internet and actually find out that about 95% of the movie can be easily explained..But if you think this movie is bad - you know ZERO about movies - and you are better off watching $hit like Inception..or any quinten tarentino movie David Lynch is amazing and so is this movie...I am so glad there are still true artists out there working today..I have personally not seen a better movie since watching this in 2001..Movie of the decade and one of the best movies ever made - touches parts of your soul and goes places where you never thought possible..You will not understand it the first time, and might not fully comprehend it on future viewings..leave logic at the door..open up your heart and soul and this movie will amaze you 10+++
benjiboiNov 14, 2012
After finishing the film for the first time, having been utterly enthralled by its captivating mystery, I was confused as to what actually occurred; and such represents the true beauty of the film. Following my third viewing, I felt as thoughAfter finishing the film for the first time, having been utterly enthralled by its captivating mystery, I was confused as to what actually occurred; and such represents the true beauty of the film. Following my third viewing, I felt as though the puzzle had been solved to some extent, and it was then that I realized quite how amazing this film really was. It is ultimately a romantic tragedy of the greatest depth, tantalising in execution and devastating in its punchlines. Mulholland Dr. represents the Hollywood dream gone awry, the dangers of obsession, the power of fantasies and the deep emotional havoc sparked by regret and unrequited love. David Lynch is an artist. Expand
trevortalksNov 14, 2012
Mindbender.
cameronmorewoodNov 12, 2012
A brilliant film so intelligent and twisted, seeing it once is not enough. I have seen it four times, and after the third, I knew it was one of the most breathtaking, original, and wondrous films ever made. Naomi Watts delivers a flawlessA brilliant film so intelligent and twisted, seeing it once is not enough. I have seen it four times, and after the third, I knew it was one of the most breathtaking, original, and wondrous films ever made. Naomi Watts delivers a flawless performance, and Mr. Lynch directs the film so carefully and precisely, you'll be blown away by the subtleties alone. Expand
seancriswellOct 11, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So many issues with this movie. First off the fact that the critics love this blows my mind if for no other reason than there is not a soul in this film that can act. This is the by far the worst acting I have ever seen in a critically acclaimed movie by a big time director. Second if anyone understood this movie upon first viewing I would be shocked. I love a movie that is ambiguous and twists and turns but never before in a viewing experience have I had to look up what a movie means without having an idea in my head of what I thought was going on. After I read some synopsis of the movie and discovered that more than likely most of the movie was a dream: 1. This never occurred to me once during my viewing. 2. It did not surprise me. 3. I did not care one bit. The only reason I give this movie more than a zero rating is because it did engage me enough that I was intrigued to see if the plot was leading somewhere. I guess it did, but certainly nowhere I cared to go. A must miss. Expand
becks1907Sep 27, 2012
Masterpiece. Emotional and incredible feeling when you are watched this movie. So many thanks David Lynch. In my opinion Mulholland Dr. best movie ever.
michaelj32Mar 31, 2012
I do not understand this movie. Why did that one woman start speaking spanish? Why were not the plot points wrapped up? The worst movie in the world? It does not make any sense.
It has got interesting scenes , that are kind of like art, and
It has got interesting scenes , that are kind of like art, and some weird characters and stuff, but it is like someone randomly edited 3 movies into one movie, and there is no connection to the various parts. Does not seem like an actual feature film at all, more like some film student mistake rolled into one big ball, with a few good scenes thrown in.
DoehlMar 25, 2012
Mulholland Drive has no realistic sequences in it, the whole film takes place in a dream and like a dream, the film focuses on the emotions and makes sense in a very narrow way. That is what makes it such a power punch to experience.
cabritaMar 17, 2012
A film that truly i do not know if i will ever fully understand,but every time i see it I get a little bit more of the puzzle together. It is a truly incredible film! The begining pulls you into certain details and completelt throws you offA film that truly i do not know if i will ever fully understand,but every time i see it I get a little bit more of the puzzle together. It is a truly incredible film! The begining pulls you into certain details and completelt throws you off on the plot of the movie. However when it comes to the end of the film you know what you saw and where you saw it. The films visuals are key to the film and they deliver 100 percent. If you are looking for a head scratching mind screwing movie Mulholland dr is for you. Expand
MikefromAngusNov 6, 2011
Its hard for a movie to get a perfect 10 in my book, but this movie did it... alot of mystery, very well paced and once you know whats happening the director mixes things around! Only for the viewer to use their brains to figure out whatsIts hard for a movie to get a perfect 10 in my book, but this movie did it... alot of mystery, very well paced and once you know whats happening the director mixes things around! Only for the viewer to use their brains to figure out whats happening. After 4 times of watching it I think I figured it out :-) Expand
j30Sep 20, 2011
Hard to recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen any of Lynch's films, maybe if you watched them in a certain order, you might understand how all his films have reached this point. This is by far his best and most ambitious film. TheHard to recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen any of Lynch's films, maybe if you watched them in a certain order, you might understand how all his films have reached this point. This is by far his best and most ambitious film. The music, the tone, the acting are perfect in the dreamy landscape he paints. Expand
logatikJul 11, 2011
Simply, one of the best movies of its decade.
The number of themes, moods and messages represented by David Lynch in this opera magna is still under analysis.
JordanPApr 16, 2011
If having to listen to someone tell you about a dream they had is the cliche that represents all boring conversations, I'm not sure why this movie receives acclaim. There certainly is some artistry involved in provoking an emotional responseIf having to listen to someone tell you about a dream they had is the cliche that represents all boring conversations, I'm not sure why this movie receives acclaim. There certainly is some artistry involved in provoking an emotional response in his audience, and it does feel like being trapped in a dream, but as a loose sequence of non-linear mood-scapes, it feels like you're watching the film equivalent of lazy abstract paintings that you're sure were painted by a cat. I found that it angered and bored me simultaneously. And dreams aren't supposed to go on that long. Expand
tonyGreenFeb 28, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. David Lynch makes movies like no one else can, or should attempt. This is probably his best. This film is perplexing, dazzling, terrifying in parts. Each scene stands on its own but the whole forms a grand mystery. Is it a dream? if so whose? How many dreams, how many dreamers? is anything real?

I have my own theory but the film is strong enough to be revisited, for those that want form their own. However it should be stressed this movie is far more than a parlour game, it certainly does not have to be fully understood to be enjoyed.
PaxsterOct 6, 2010
Mulholland Drive somehow mixes realism and surrealism together? Somehow leaves you wanting more? Somehow compels you to watch it again and again? How these affects occur is unknown. All I do know is that it is my favourite Lynch movie and isMulholland Drive somehow mixes realism and surrealism together? Somehow leaves you wanting more? Somehow compels you to watch it again and again? How these affects occur is unknown. All I do know is that it is my favourite Lynch movie and is well worthy of its 'universal acclaim' tag. The brilliance of cinema in one film. Expand
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
David Lynch presents his greatest stride, giving us a surrealist pop dream that is as irresistible as it is confounding, raising a huge middle finger to Hollywood conventions while never compromising entertainment. The movie stands on its ownDavid Lynch presents his greatest stride, giving us a surrealist pop dream that is as irresistible as it is confounding, raising a huge middle finger to Hollywood conventions while never compromising entertainment. The movie stands on its own just fine, but the more movies I watch, the more I see its influences: Bergman's "Persona," Godard's colorful capricious style, Fellini's self-conscious abstractions, Buñuel's vicious humor. I wouldn't draw such grand comparisons if I felt they weren't earned, but Lynch delivers on every front, giving us a movie that is sure to leave you spellbound. Expand
nuyorkAug 16, 2010
One of David Lynch's best movies to date!! I think I've watched it a total of 11 times, and each time it gets me. When I first watched the movie, I walked out thinking, what the hell is this movie about. As I began to read articles online, IOne of David Lynch's best movies to date!! I think I've watched it a total of 11 times, and each time it gets me. When I first watched the movie, I walked out thinking, what the hell is this movie about. As I began to read articles online, I discovered what a piece of art this movie is. Naomi Watts is amazing. She is one of my favourite actors I always enjoy watching. Expand
nickMay 9, 2009
Complete waste of time! One of the most confusing 2+ hours of my life, i hated almost every minute of it, except the love scene with naomi watts.
NiaN.Nov 18, 2008
This movie really pumps up my adrenalin sometimes.. but it get more complicated to understand what the story about...I have watched for 2 hours and more but I don't get until the end.. waste my time download it.
TedK.Jun 20, 2008
Nonsensical, boring garbage. A lot of the critics and users are suffering from emperor's new clothes syndrome and will belittle those of us who know BS when we see it. Zero out of ten if it weren't for the titillating lesbian scenes.
2 of 8 users found this helpful
NVFeb 19, 2008
This is the worst movie I've ever seen bar none. There is no plot; the film jumps all over, making absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's like watching what might go on inside your head while you're on an acid trip. Mulholland This is the worst movie I've ever seen bar none. There is no plot; the film jumps all over, making absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's like watching what might go on inside your head while you're on an acid trip. Mulholland Drive, you owe me 2.5 hours of my life back! Expand
2 of 10 users found this helpful
KharlosDec 22, 2007
My brother didn't like this movie, but he is the kind of moviegoer that leaves his brain in the ashtray of his car before going into the theater. His kind of movie is along the lines of Independence Day, Austin Powers, Transformers, My brother didn't like this movie, but he is the kind of moviegoer that leaves his brain in the ashtray of his car before going into the theater. His kind of movie is along the lines of Independence Day, Austin Powers, Transformers, etc... Now I enjoy wholesome tearjerkers like "Wild horses can't be broken" and action/dramas like "Flyboys" as well, but "Mulholland Drive" would not fall into a category that would be so easily labeled. As others have stated already, it's more akin to art than anything else. I have trouble simply describing the effect this movie had on me when I watched it, but I really, really liked it. After 2 viewings, I agree with the popular view on the plot: This film is an invasive look into the depths of the human mind, and it's ability to control perceived reality. A large portion of the movie (first 2 hours or so) are a fabrication of Diane's mind...a favorable re-creation of accounts and personas. If you have ever seen "The Matrix" then you will have some idea of the concept of living "as a boat in a bottle" so to speak. When the theater scene arrives, I think it is symbolic of Diane's inability to maintain the mental farce and avoid the inevitable, brutal, punishing truth of actual reality. If your friend said to you "ok, sit down silently in that chair and for the next 10 minutes, do NOT have a thought about cars" would you be able to do it? Maintaining focus on (or away from) things requires energy, and Diane finally ran out of it. After the theater scene, Diane's "matrix" comes crashing down, and she is unable to re-create it, even though she trantically tries again (when Camilla revisits her in the kitchen and at the couch). With Diane's imagination unable to get her back to her nirvana, she sees no other recourse than suicide for her miserable life. In my opinion, Mulholland Drive is one of the 5 greatest movies that I have ever seen. I'm sorry that there are those that will not enjoy it simply because it is not like 99% of the "made for tv" or "made for Hollywood" movies that are out there. Expand
JW.May 5, 2007
(8.5) Naomi Watts has been, in the last six years or so, the greatest gift to American film. She was no rookie at the time, obviously, but this was basically her coming-out party. Her performance here is cited by people like David O. Russell (8.5) Naomi Watts has been, in the last six years or so, the greatest gift to American film. She was no rookie at the time, obviously, but this was basically her coming-out party. Her performance here is cited by people like David O. Russell (I Heart Huckabees) as a casting director's equivalent of love at first sight. Already evident are the strengths that would make her shine brightest in everything from 21 Grams to We Don't Live Here Anymore. You can't NOT watch her. In this film - amid all the surreal emotional touchstones she hits -it is her flinch at the fateful dinner party that says everything about how far into a character she can go. Without her, Mulholland would fly totally off its rocker halfway through. As it is, you keep watching to the last freakish second. It's sure to scare the bejeezus out of you at least once. Expand
MikeNov 30, 2006
I loved this movie! I walked out of the movie theater and I was amazed in what I seen. The most impressive was in how the movie was directed. Simply amazing! no wonder the director was nominated for an oscar for best director. In my opinion I loved this movie! I walked out of the movie theater and I was amazed in what I seen. The most impressive was in how the movie was directed. Simply amazing! no wonder the director was nominated for an oscar for best director. In my opinion he should of won! After watching it 3 times I still didnt understand it, but after the 4th time everything just clicks in and it make PERFECT sense! The movie is so intresting. you keep on watching it again and again! Can't wait to see what David Lynch makes next! Expand
AndrewCNov 27, 2006
I'm sorry, but this is possibly the largest piece of celluloid turd I've ever seen. I loved Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Eraserhead, Wild at Heart, Dune, The Straight Story, but I thought this was so disjointed and screwed-up for the I'm sorry, but this is possibly the largest piece of celluloid turd I've ever seen. I loved Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Eraserhead, Wild at Heart, Dune, The Straight Story, but I thought this was so disjointed and screwed-up for the sake of it. Don't bother wasting 2 hours. Expand
3 of 9 users found this helpful
KennyMAug 7, 2006
Martin K., I feel sorry for you ... Have fun flipping burgers at McDonald's for the rest of your life. Oh yeah, and next time you're going to criticize one of the greatest films in the history of cinema, at least don't use the Martin K., I feel sorry for you ... Have fun flipping burgers at McDonald's for the rest of your life. Oh yeah, and next time you're going to criticize one of the greatest films in the history of cinema, at least don't use the words/phrases "dude", "cracked out", "eyebrows fatter than eugene levy's" , and "jerking off prophetic metaphors." At least disguise the fact that you don't even know how to speak, because then maybe someone could actually read your comment without vomitting all over themselves in disgust. This film is a masterpiece, and if you cannot at least appreciate the fact that it is genius (even if you don't necessarily enjoy it) than you deserve to be tied to a chair and forced to watch the film for the rest of your life, or at least until you can truly appreciate it. I'll be sure to come by McDonald's for some apple pies. Expand
JoshuaR.Mar 25, 2006
All of Lynch's ideas have come to fruition. I saw the film first at the Playcircle Theatre on the University of Wisconsin campus in Madison. Like many, I left the theatre completely puzzled but also intrigued. This is the kind of film All of Lynch's ideas have come to fruition. I saw the film first at the Playcircle Theatre on the University of Wisconsin campus in Madison. Like many, I left the theatre completely puzzled but also intrigued. This is the kind of film you watch again and again, appreciating it's genius ever more with each viewing. Now I'm with steve b. and s. roberts. . .One could analyze this film on so many levels: a jab at hollywood genres, freudian themes, Shakespearian sleep vs wake. Let me just say, I love how the characters' dialogue really does dispell some of the mystery very early on (eg. "it's wierd calling yourself on the phone" and the mystic's "that's not Diane") Expand
MoviegoerGeekMar 12, 2006
Don't you ever dream? Didn't you ever remember tiny pieces of it and try to make sense out of it all? Didn't you ever mixed people in your dreams YOU KNOW they don't know each other? Maybe you are to heavy on sleeping Don't you ever dream? Didn't you ever remember tiny pieces of it and try to make sense out of it all? Didn't you ever mixed people in your dreams YOU KNOW they don't know each other? Maybe you are to heavy on sleeping pills and this is numbing yourselves. This movie not only DOES have perfect sense. It has many layers beyond the dream/reality sequence. It IS a character study (to those morons saying otherwise) of a really ......up star-wannabe. DREAMS reveal more than yourself than you really are able to believe. In the dream sequence, [***SPOILERS***] there are hints of the guilt Dianne (Betty)experience for having Camille (Rita) killed by the mobster. I'm not doing your homework here: take a further look. DREAMS can also be PREMONITORY (hence the sense of deja-vu we sometimes feel). And Dianne (Betty) sees HER OWN death, only she doesn't know who is the rotted corpse laying in bed (but you can see she FEELS her in her own horrified face). brillant! You peel even further and you realize a "mirror game" depicting a symbolic Hollywood vs. Reality irony. In Hollywood (a.k.a Mulholland Dr.) bad actors rings false and are cartoonish (like Betty herself), while the industry IS the mobster, directors are puppets and the STORY is linear. In Reality, bad actors are messed up, the STORY is twisted, and the Industry and directors won't throw you a bone if you worth ..... Peel further enough, and at the core you will find a history of a rejected love who ends up in tragedy (Dianne killing herself). IT IS NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? This is arguably the best film of the new millenium. The most complex and deep (YES, DEEP) and the most visually stunning. A Masterpiece!! Warning: Don't be a Dianne, USE YOUR BRAINS! Expand
TomM.Feb 8, 2006
Hey Martin K...the director's name is David Lynch, not Jack Lynch. If you are going to criticise a film, please be somewhat informed This film is lynch's masterpiece. Yes, it is hard to understand, but once you grasp what is going Hey Martin K...the director's name is David Lynch, not Jack Lynch. If you are going to criticise a film, please be somewhat informed This film is lynch's masterpiece. Yes, it is hard to understand, but once you grasp what is going on, you realise how great it really is. This flim does have meaning, Martin K. The first half of the film is a dream, and in the dream Naomi Watts' character incorporates elements of her extremely troubled life, which we see in the second section of the move,....do a bit of research and you might be able to figure that out. The fact that Lynch was able to convert what was in the beginning a TV pilot to a cinematic release ti, quite frankly, amazing. In years to come this, coupled with Twin Peaks, wiill be regarded as Lynch's masterpiece. Expand
SoulFellaMGTurboFeb 3, 2006
I can comfortably say that this is my favorite film of all time. It will be very difficult for another to usurp it.
MartinKDec 8, 2005
I watched this movie three times, in hopes to understand it. The third time i was convinced that there there is indeed no meaning, and that simply put: jack lynch is insane. First we get bombarded with the "im so indie" scene changes, then I watched this movie three times, in hopes to understand it. The third time i was convinced that there there is indeed no meaning, and that simply put: jack lynch is insane. First we get bombarded with the "im so indie" scene changes, then some dudes are at denny's and this dude with eyebrows fatter than eugene levy is talking about his cracked out dream and then you realize, "holy shit, thats the cheese's assistant from Old School", so these guys touch each other for a while and then snufalufagus comes out from nowhere and dude has a heart attack, and then what looks liek johnny knoxville with a massive forehead goes insane and plays with paint, then the cowboy comes out of left field and starts jerking off prophetic metaphors into mr. knoxvilles face, and then an amnesiatic lesbian starts fiddling the canadian lesbian (which is the only reason this film recieves a 2 and not a 0....not because they were amnesiatic and canadian, but because they are lesbians). This movie is the reason fat computer nerds clog up the donut and coffee shops 24 hours a day. Expand
steveb.Nov 16, 2005
I refuse to be friends with anyone who has not at some point in their lives said "this is the best movie ever!"
s.robertsNov 13, 2005
There are not enough positive words to describe this movie and the experience of watching it.
3 of 3 users found this helpful
JeffKSep 8, 2005
Unquestionably the finest American film of 2001 and Lynch's masterpiece. Whereas Lynch's inpenetrable scenes left one dismayed or angry, here they add substantively to the overall ominous tone of the film. The acting is superb, and Unquestionably the finest American film of 2001 and Lynch's masterpiece. Whereas Lynch's inpenetrable scenes left one dismayed or angry, here they add substantively to the overall ominous tone of the film. The acting is superb, and while it is ultimately devastating, it's also extremely funny and frightening, not to mention what is one of the best lesbian sex scenes ever filmed (and I'm a gay man!). Expand
THMay 12, 2002
Brilliant! Beautiful! Heartbreaking! This film was so carefully crafted and beautifully composed (images as well as sound) it's nothing short of poetry. Yet the quality that puts it above other Lynch films is that it's successfully Brilliant! Beautiful! Heartbreaking! This film was so carefully crafted and beautifully composed (images as well as sound) it's nothing short of poetry. Yet the quality that puts it above other Lynch films is that it's successfully able to convey deep feeling with such power. This can be mainly attributed to the film's terrific performances, from the main actors to the bit players -- every line is exquisitely delivered, every gesture carefully captured on film. For those naysayers who feel this movie was pretentious, I will admit that at times it was "a bit forced, but still humanistic." But that can be forgiven since the story is...[spoiler omitted] Expand