7.8

1. ArielG.
    Feb 2, 2006
    One thing I feared before seeing the movie, is that they would turn the Palestinians into cliche terrorists. But this didn't happen, thankfully. It was quite even-handed in its approach. It frowned on terror and violence, from both sides, and it also explores their root causes. Eric Bana was cast well as the Mossad agent. The movie would've received a higher rating if it One thing I feared before seeing the movie, is that they would turn the Palestinians into cliche terrorists. But this didn't happen, thankfully. It was quite even-handed in its approach. It frowned on terror and violence, from both sides, and it also explores their root causes. Eric Bana was cast well as the Mossad agent. The movie would've received a higher rating if it wasn't so long. At close to 3 hours, the movie was overdrawn and was filled with scenes that were unessential to the story. This resulted in a severe loss of momentum in many places. They should've cut these scenes from the main movie and added them in later for the Director's Cut. But do see this movie if you are into history and current events and/or want to see a well-directed and well-acted movie. Expand
  2. Jan 9, 2012
    Far too long imo. Really dragged on the film as long as they could and it would have been a little bit better if it were shorter. The acting was ok at first but it gets better when you get further into it. The action is good as well. idk though, The film just didnt sit well with me for some reason. It was a decent film that never really clicked with me. However the ending was excellent.
  3. Jan 2, 2013
    It's a solid movie. Good acting, Action is fine, and it is a bit suspensful at times. However, It never really breaks into that next level of greatest. It's a good movie but not that good.
  4. Jun 7, 2013
    Following the murder of eleven Israeli athletes during the Munich Olympics of 1972 a small task force is assigned by Israel's secret service to locate and eliminate all those responsible.

Being inspired by real events Munich was always going to be a controversial movie but, while it contains tense scenes throughout, it thankfully avoids choosing sides or sensationalizing events. This is more than just a simple case of good guys vs. bad guys and everyones actions can be called into question at some point.

Every member of the cast really excels at depicting the conflicting emotions and pressures that these sorts of events inflict upon people ensuring that the characters come across as wholly believable meaning that, despite some pacing problems Munich makes for a fairly intriguing watch throughout.
  5. Sep 28, 2013
    Munich is an arresting drama thriller about terrorism and the people who do it. The performances on offer here are excellent and the action suitably macabre. The film is a little too long but overall, Munich is excellent stuff.
  6. Jun 20, 2014
    Far more than just a "decent" movie, Steven Spielberg's examination of Israel's plot to avenge the death of 11 of their athletes caused by Palestinian terrorists in "Munich" is a truly fantastic thriller stuffed with relentless plans and explosions that would surely leave you breathless after full-time watch while, at the same time, successfully managing to leave space for humanity as theFar more than just a "decent" movie, Steven Spielberg's examination of Israel's plot to avenge the death of 11 of their athletes caused by Palestinian terrorists in "Munich" is a truly fantastic thriller stuffed with relentless plans and explosions that would surely leave you breathless after full-time watch while, at the same time, successfully managing to leave space for humanity as the undercover agents begin to question the righteousness of what they are doing. Expand
  7. MarkB.
    Jan 24, 2006
    Four years ago, not long after it all happened, who would've guessed that the American filmmaker most obsessed--haunted, maybe--by the implications and aftermath of September 11, 2001 would be, not Oliver Stone or even Michael Moore, but...the Indiana Jones guy?!!? Four out of five of Steven Spielberg's post-9/11 films (the candy-coated, nostalgic Kennedy-era fluffball Catch Me Four years ago, not long after it all happened, who would've guessed that the American filmmaker most obsessed--haunted, maybe--by the implications and aftermath of September 11, 2001 would be, not Oliver Stone or even Michael Moore, but...the Indiana Jones guy?!!? Four out of five of Steven Spielberg's post-9/11 films (the candy-coated, nostalgic Kennedy-era fluffball Catch Me If You Can being the lone exception) have dealt, implicitly or fairly obviously, with many of America's questions, debates, doubts and fears resulting from that date and continuing through today: the instant SF classic Minority Report examines the most ominous implications of the USA Patriot Act; the sweet, Capraesque fable The terminal, significantly set in an airport, shows people of all nationalities putting aside their fears and misgivings in order to help one another...and this year's earlier War of the Worlds is The Terminal's dark twin, a sour, cynical nightmare in which we trample one another, steal each other's cars, etc., in order to escape the terror from without. Now comes Munich, Spielberg's meticulous, metaphorical examination of the ethics of a nation responding to what any sane person regardless of national origin would identify as an inhuman terrorist attack: where does self-defense end and revenge begin, are they sometimes one and the same, and, most significantly, what permanent effects does meeting-fire-with-fire have on those wielding the flamethrowers? Even though Spielberg and his writers, Tony Kushner and Eric Roth, are depicting a horrific real-life event and its aftermath, I believe that they're asking universal questions that apply to thousands of other historic confrontations. That's why the intense criticism Spielberg has received from certain parts of the Jewish community--some of whom may just as soon have him give back all the awards he won for Schindler's List--are irrelevant. I can certainly understand the feelings of anger and betrayal on many of their parts regarding the movie's humanizing of the Palestinian killers and their accomplices (expressed here at its peak by the tremendously touching final act performed by an otherwise particularly despicable individual when the protagonists retaliate)...but making you movie's villains three-dimensional and even giving them some positive and sympathetic qualities is as old as drama itself; if Munich's enemies were to apply the proper emotional and esthetic distance, they'd see that to excoriate Munich on these grounds is to condemn Alfred Hitchcock for giving us Norman Bates. And in a pivotal scene, in which Israelis and Palestinians discuss the homeland that each side sees as a sacred birthright, we not only see two sides irrevocably separated from one another by an issue that should at least philosophically be common ground, but also Spielberg's pet theme of "going home" in its most poignant expression. Munich isn't perfect; it's a bit overlong, with more false endings than Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, and while Eric Bana as the team leader communicates his character's psychological turmoil superbly, Daniel Craig (Layer Cake) isn't exactly bolstering my confidence in him as 007 Number 6. (And the much-debated sequence near the end in which violence and marital sex bleed into one another had the misfortune to come out just a couple months afer A History of Violence, which used a similar juxtaposition to much more devastating effect.) But Spielberg deserves an enormous amount of credit for asking a number of extremely tough questions and freely admitting he has no answers save maybe the Biblical admonition that there will always be wars and rumors of wars. Whatever your political and religious affiliations and personal sympathies lie, it's hard to deny the power with which Spielberg conveys the very apolitical truism that "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves everybody blind and toothless". And no, I don't believe the right wing press's short-sighted nonconclusion that Spielberg would just have the victims of terrorism just lie down, take it and die. Spielberg (who also gave us Saving Private Ryan, remember?) recognizes the necessity of taking decisive action, but is after an even more basic and fundamental human truth: that no matter how justified or even necessary the taking of vengeance is, inevitably it takes its toll on both the person performing the act and the nation ordering it. That's the powerful message Spielberg delivers in Munich, and I think it's about time that those who are taking the film so personally quit heaping abuse on the messenger. Expand
  8. SatsS.
    Mar 27, 2008
    I really liked the movie, now i have a projects to do on the film techniques used in this movie, can anybody help me out?
  9. Alex
    Dec 16, 2005
    Family Entertainment at its finest! The show won me over when Bana's character and his band of assassins took off into the air on their bikes! Pure movie magic at its finest!
  10. AndreA.
    Dec 19, 2005
    Excellent. People who have strong biases either way will not enjoy this movie because it does not have enough red meat for either side (Palestine vs. Israel). But that's the point. There was a movie a long time ago called WarGames. The computer became self-aware and it looked for a moment like it would launch missles and blow up the whole world. With suitable wisdom, it concluded Excellent. People who have strong biases either way will not enjoy this movie because it does not have enough red meat for either side (Palestine vs. Israel). But that's the point. There was a movie a long time ago called WarGames. The computer became self-aware and it looked for a moment like it would launch missles and blow up the whole world. With suitable wisdom, it concluded that the only way to win was not to play. When you see this movie, you'll see the parallel I'm drawing. Expand
  11. abhim.
    Best movie of the year.
  12. LarryH.
    Dec 22, 2005
    This is one of Spielberg's very best films. It is strong, haunting, and impeccably made. There's not a lot of validity in some of the criticisms.
  13. jwh
    Dec 22, 2005
    In response to RadioLady, and especially Squall, it would help if you actually *knew* your history instead of just echoing your "feelings" (which MUST be what's moral and true... right?!?!?) . Israel DID target people who had no direct connection to the attacks b/c they had a hard time locating the terrorists. Does this mean thinkiing people (thinking, Squall, thinking) condemn In response to RadioLady, and especially Squall, it would help if you actually *knew* your history instead of just echoing your "feelings" (which MUST be what's moral and true... right?!?!?) . Israel DID target people who had no direct connection to the attacks b/c they had a hard time locating the terrorists. Does this mean thinkiing people (thinking, Squall, thinking) condemn Israel or think they were as "low" as Black September - no way. Spielberg does the (gasp) unthinkable and actually adds some moral complexity instead of the good/evil extremes that people want to believe (I mean, c'mon America would only torture bad guys, and the bad guys, well, they really *torture*) who follow the Bush-Cheney crowd like lemmings off the moral relativism cliff while claiming moral superiority. Far from being a Hollywood Shill, Spielberg treats a historic event with complexity, care and shades of grey. Expand
  14. NealB.
    Dec 24, 2005
    Leaves you thinking. What is the benefit of these revenge kilings? Did it prevent - or perpetuate - future violence? In the context of 9/11, how does this fit? Is right and wrong, good and evil always a matter of perspective, or is there such a thing as moral / ethical clarity? A movie absolutely worth seeing.
  15. Tonydannie
    Dec 25, 2005
    Usually, I have alot to say about a movie That I really Liked. And believe me. I liked this movie alot. But I honestly cannot express how much. After seeing this film, it took me a while to shake it off. It stayed with me for a long time! And it has been over 24 hours now. Go see this film! Another Cinematic achievment By the Master. Steven Spielberg.
  16. CesarN.
    Dec 25, 2005
    Best film of 2005, an emotional experience you will never forget.
  17. S.Gold
    Dec 25, 2005
    To disagree with a truthfulness of a story is okay (even if it's true) but to stop it from enjoying the film is retarded, so don't listen to those people. It may seem preachy to goyim, but to anyone who actually understands the issue at hand should be proud of the middle ground that this film impressively takes. It works on so many levels including an action film. Great acting, To disagree with a truthfulness of a story is okay (even if it's true) but to stop it from enjoying the film is retarded, so don't listen to those people. It may seem preachy to goyim, but to anyone who actually understands the issue at hand should be proud of the middle ground that this film impressively takes. It works on so many levels including an action film. Great acting, directing, script and not overlong even though it's close to 3 hours. Expand
  18. Thewiseking
    Dec 25, 2005
    Obvious, overwrought monologues damn near killed this film. The story should just have been told, without the upper west side liberal american jewish guilt layered all over it. Trust me. Mossad agents whose families went up in smoke in Europe just one generation before, were not very likely to be engaging in lumpy theatrical monologues of self doubt when bumping off palestinian terrorists.
  19. ZakT.
    Dec 26, 2005
    There are several great performances in the film, particularly from Bana and Kassovitz, and I was impressed at Spielberg's intention to humanize both sides of the conflict, when it would have been easy to demonize the hunted arabs. The pacing was excellent and only one bad scene in the whole movie.
  20. patrick
    Dec 26, 2005
    This is probably my favorite Spielberg movie. I've never been a big fan of his, but he really did almost everything right in this movie. I was very impressed with the character and plot development. Definitely a must see.
  21. BrettR.
    Dec 26, 2005
    The best movie of the year. It assumes the audience is intelligent, which is rare in Hollywood, and there is a fantastic showing by Eric Bana. I was very impressed with the entire picture.
  22. Jan
    Dec 26, 2005
    At last, we see a film from an awesome Director who is bold enough to see the human sides of those who kill and those who are killed, and who dares to prompt up moral questions to why decent people should support extended vengeful killings. This film is filled with unforgettable moments to intrigue the viewers. A truly complex movie with phenomenal direction, and stunning performances At last, we see a film from an awesome Director who is bold enough to see the human sides of those who kill and those who are killed, and who dares to prompt up moral questions to why decent people should support extended vengeful killings. This film is filled with unforgettable moments to intrigue the viewers. A truly complex movie with phenomenal direction, and stunning performances from the overall cast Expand
  23. BobH.
    Dec 27, 2005
    Terrific film, complex depiction of moral politics of antiterrorism.
  24. joshs.
    Dec 27, 2005
    Not only Speilburgs tightest film in ages, but like all great films about human history it offers no answers and takes no sides. Instead it just tells the story of what did or might have happened to people caught up in something beyond their understandings. No director has ever had so much fun with windshields and mirrors.
  25. JackD.
    Dec 27, 2005
    It is so good (one of the best of the year) that I am going to forgive Spielberg for "War of the Worlds" (one of the worst of the year).
  26. aviL
    Dec 27, 2005
    Thought it was excellently done- the continous montages of the tragic events that occured at the olypmics gave me chills up and down my spine.
  27. LarryS.
    Dec 29, 2005
    Excellent film! Cast, writing and direction were all extremely well done. Nice to have a film where you have to think! Quite frankly those who rated the film poorly would have been better off seeing Cheaper by the Dozen 2 or King Kong.
  28. VisheshC.
    Dec 29, 2005
    Good movie. Realistic, subtle message. Even more fascinating because it is based of real stories.
  29. ErikN.
    Dec 29, 2005
    Solid movie from Steven Spielberg. A bit too much of a left wing slant, and a tad too long and sluggish in spots, it is nonetheless extremely powerful and violent. A tough movie to watch, but brilliant in spots and great overall.
  30. MarcD.
    Dec 30, 2005
    Powerful film. The conversation between Avner and the Palestinian at the "safe" house was provocative -- reminicent of the conversation between M. Whalberg & the Republican Guard torture-inflictor in "Three Kings." Excellent cast, and if Bana isn't up for best lead actor in March, I'll be disappointed.
  31. DJI.
    Dec 30, 2005
    Best movie of the year. The people who hate the movie, and complain about the "moral parallels" or "moral equivalency" that the film draws between terrorists and assassins are being irrational and stupid. The movie simply portrays acts as they could have occurred, in a way that forces you to see how the act of killing for an abstract cause, using the devil's tools, has consequences. Best movie of the year. The people who hate the movie, and complain about the "moral parallels" or "moral equivalency" that the film draws between terrorists and assassins are being irrational and stupid. The movie simply portrays acts as they could have occurred, in a way that forces you to see how the act of killing for an abstract cause, using the devil's tools, has consequences. It's not like Bana's voice or any character in the movie's voice is the filmmaker's!! Even the scene with the terrorist and Bana debating on the staircase... Spielberg is not telling us that their arguments are equally valid. They're just expressing their characters' views. You'd have to be dimwitted to think that Spielberg is telling you what to think. Film techniques, changing of the color timing and film stock is understated, and brilliant, really making some scenes feel hyper-real, others pulling us into the 70s... and showing us the passage of time. Spielberg is masterful with that. You just jump time and place in the world in this movie and you never feel disoriented. Cast is brilliant. Best movie of the year. For me, what I took out of the movie was less political, and more along the lines of personal ethics and the fact that there are costs to bending the rules... not that this should STOP us from pragmatic acts at times for self preservation... just that we should not rationalize the evil we do when our hand is forced. Which was something I've believed always anyway. Expand
  32. GrahamM.
    Dec 31, 2005
    This is the best film of 2005, definately. very intelligent.
  33. FrancescoS
    Dec 31, 2005
    Out and out the best Movie of the year!! Bravo! Mature, Complex, Involving, Brilliant, Challenging & Beautifully made. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Spielberg's Best. He's a Genious. A "Must See".
  34. MorganaT.
    Jan 1, 2006
    I have been no fan of Speilberg's but this film is incredible. By far the best thing he's done. Multi-layered, using every actor to his best, and no cop out ending, this film makes you think about issues that are controversial in a very personal way. Best film of the year!
  35. TonyB.
    Jan 2, 2006
    I haven't seen all of 2005's biggies yet, but I think they will have to go some to beat Munich. It is the year's finest so far. The film is best appreciated by approaching it on two levels; it's a bloody, sexy political thriller and a study of a moral/ethical dilemma. Extremely well-acted, directed, photographed, edited, designed and scored, it is a superb piece of I haven't seen all of 2005's biggies yet, but I think they will have to go some to beat Munich. It is the year's finest so far. The film is best appreciated by approaching it on two levels; it's a bloody, sexy political thriller and a study of a moral/ethical dilemma. Extremely well-acted, directed, photographed, edited, designed and scored, it is a superb piece of filmmaking that, and this has become an increasingly rare thing in American films, treats its audience with the respect that some of us think we deserve. Expand
  36. KenB
    Jan 3, 2006
    Good but not great movie. Captures the humanity of both the bad guys and the good guys fairly well. A little too much angst in Bana's character for the situation (in my opinion). Excellent job of capturing the feel of the 70s (and I lived through them). The juxtaposition of the sex with his wife and the killing of the Israeli athletes was bit odd otherwise well told story that needs Good but not great movie. Captures the humanity of both the bad guys and the good guys fairly well. A little too much angst in Bana's character for the situation (in my opinion). Excellent job of capturing the feel of the 70s (and I lived through them). The juxtaposition of the sex with his wife and the killing of the Israeli athletes was bit odd otherwise well told story that needs to be told. Very plausible acting throughout the movie. Expand
  37. billC
    Jan 4, 2006
    I don't know, the whole Arab/Jew mess is a mess with 2 thousand years of in bred hatred. This film is well done and even handed,it's almost feels like a indie documentary. I viewed it as a real-life Mission Impossible and thought it was well done and easy to follow. It's 3 hours long, so be prepared to sit awhile.
  38. GilbertoR.
    Jan 6, 2006
    I was crestfallen by the end of this film, for it powerfully showed me how useless protests against any government are when only a portion of the population proves it is paying attention to the ways of the world by involving themselves in street-marching. Unfortunately, according to some of the reviews I've read, this film flies over the heads of many who are too biased or not I was crestfallen by the end of this film, for it powerfully showed me how useless protests against any government are when only a portion of the population proves it is paying attention to the ways of the world by involving themselves in street-marching. Unfortunately, according to some of the reviews I've read, this film flies over the heads of many who are too biased or not intellectually rigorous enough to see that this is more than a Lennon-esque "give peace a chance" tome. What this film does is provide a disturbingly strong argument for an anarchic world that is free from the politically minded. To me, this film argues something quite simple, that we should enjoy each moment on this earth; and something profound, that the world would be better off if governments and nation-states disappeared. The alternative to the present would be a communal planet in which people are people, regardless of creed, color, gender, etc. are equal. Those who argue this film is something other than a thoughtful and profound statement on the regrettable fact that people can be deceived into enthonocentrism all too easily by colorful flags and Toby Keith songs are simply not thinking about this movie soberly. Expand
  39. Tim
    Jan 7, 2006
    The first hour and a half or so was absolutely terrific, it was really intense, but i got lost towards the end, it got sort of confusing, but i still liked it a lot
  40. GaborA.
    Jan 7, 2006
    Though it can't be it is obvious that this movie strives for unbiasedness. It seems most viewers dont see it that way but that is attributed to their own biases. Ontop of that. Out of the million or so scenes encompassing all those settings around the world almost all of them worked. With that accomplishment this film gets my vote for best of the year.
    Jan 7, 2006
    I'm pretty sure this guy, Tal L. has not seen the movie and is just trashing it because he can. Obviously, it's a matter of opinion what he thinks of the film in it's point of view and the stand it takes against vengeance. But to say the movie is not technically proficient is just a stupid, nonsense, invalid remark. I feel sorry for people like him...but well, is his loss.
  42. GregS.
    Jan 8, 2006
    Incredible proof that an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, is madness. Good for Spielberg to brave both the Israeli and Arab opinions, let alone America's .
  43. MegA.
    Jan 8, 2006
    The best movie of the year....... Spielberg's finest!
  44. JosiahR.
    Compelling.
  45. ThomasR.
    Jan 9, 2006
    If you fall asleep in this movie, it is a judgment of your character, not the movie's.
  46. RichK
    Jan 9, 2006
    Although the first two thirds of this movie were rivetting, the last hour takes so much away. Any sort of message is lost in the dragging conclusion to the film.
  47. TrinimanTrin
    Jan 10, 2006
    Just shy of three hours, Munich is an excellent film that is causing a lot of controversy among Jewish groups in the US and Israel, and among Palestinians. By upsetting both groups, director Steven Spielberg has found elusive middle ground that saves the film from being Oliver Stone-preachy while weaving tension and moral ambiguity, from beginning to end. This is the second film based on Just shy of three hours, Munich is an excellent film that is causing a lot of controversy among Jewish groups in the US and Israel, and among Palestinians. By upsetting both groups, director Steven Spielberg has found elusive middle ground that saves the film from being Oliver Stone-preachy while weaving tension and moral ambiguity, from beginning to end. This is the second film based on the 1984 book Vengeance:The True Story of an Israeli Counter-Terrorist Team by Canadian journalist George Jonas, the first being the 1985 HBO made-for-television movie, Sword of Gideon. Mossad agent and ex-bodyguard for Prime Minister Golda Meier, Avner Kauffman (Eric Bana), is asked to head a secret unofficial team on a very dangerous mission that would take him away from his pregnant wife for many months, if not years. He is assigned four other men, most of whom are seemingly unlikely members of an elite hit squad. The only other athletic person is Steve, aggressive and feisty, played by a crackling, magnetic Daniel Craig, the new James Bond. Craig, blonde with deep blue eyes, as revealed in a sniper scene, looks ironically like a perfect example of an Aryan. Ciarán Hinds, who played the Russian President Nemerov in 2002's The Sum of All Fears, is the clean-up guy who removes evidence. Mathieu Kassovitz plays Robert, the toy-maker turned bomb disposal expert turned bomb-maker. Hanns Zischler is Hans, the document forger. Showing up occasionally as the official liaison between Mossad and Avner's team is Geoffrey Rush as Ephraim. Prime Minister Meier endorses the mission by saying "...every civilization finds it necessary to negotiate compromises with its own values." Other dialogue in the film that resonates with the Israeli perspective includes Avner's mother saying that the Jews had to create their own homeland since no one was going to give it to them. These are examples of why Palestinians groups see this film as biased towards Israel, but to dismiss it as such is to sell it short, as it offers dialogue that neither side supports, and that those without a stake in the middle-east - most viewers - will chew on it, right to the film's end. Early on, Avner finds a mysterious source of intelligence who is willing to find the locations of persons of interest who have gone underground, but only on the condition that Avner is working for no government. While he doesn't give up that he is unofficially tied to the Israelis, it's obvious that he is probably Mossad since all his desired targets are Palestinians. As the team assassinate the bad guys throughout Europe, they also learn that the Palestinians retaliate, killing off magnitudes more people. Not mentioned in the film are the Palestinian refugee camps in Syria and Lebanon bombed by Israeli jets in retaliation, four days after the massacre, which was in turn condemned by the UN Security Council. They begin to wonder if their mission is worthwhile and even moral, with arguments about why they aren't just arresting people for trial. Also, some of the Palestinians they kill are shown as being regular humans with families, or cultured and intelligent, rather than as one-dimensional bad guys. They feel guilty about some of their killings and one of the characters becomes very heavily burdened. It's this moral conflict that brings the film its best tension. In one of the most electric scenes, Avner, mistaken for a German, has a conversation with a PLO team leader who explains and justifies the Palestinians struggle with Israel for a homeland. This is one of the scenes that is generating criticism among Jewish groups, even though the director is a prominent Jew and supporter of Israel. Meir Jolobitz, executive director of the New York-based Zionist Organization of America (ZOA), told Aljazeera.net: "First, the film which claims to be inspired by true events does not reflect true events. Spielberg is inventive. "Secondly, he tries to humanize Arab terrorists by legitimizing their murder of Jews as their only way to establish a Palestinian state." The ZOA has called for a public boycott of the film. At one point in the film, one of the team members talks about how the Israelis could end up becoming killers like the people they are hunting. Team member Carl replied that they have long been like that, since they had to be killers in order to establish the state of Israel. Now, this sort of statement would be seen to be anti-Israeli since it equates the blood shed by creators of modern day Israel to the Palestinian terrorist - a moral equivalence that some will find outrageous. The film didn't seem like almost three hours long to me. I was totally drawn in as the film unfolded within the murky confines of international betrayal with its lack of assurance. Is the family that sources valuable information playing all sides? Do they betray friends for money? Are they really Mossad operatives carefully feeding the unofficial team the finest information? Or, are they helping the Palestinian leadership do a little house cleaning? The flashbacks to the massacre itself are also riveting. There's a lot of juicy, factual story not included, such as the Israeli offer to send in one of their experienced commando teams, which was rejected. The German offer to trade money for the hostages and then have high-ranking German officials switch places with the hostages, also wasn't mentioned. By not pleasing either the Palestinian or the Jewish communities, and yet ironically supporting both by presenting two sides of the dispute in the film, Munich offers a timely opportunity for discourse about sacrificing values in the face of conflict for survival, the increasingly popular moral equivalency debate and on a more basic level, the future of the Israeli-Palestinian relationship, especially in the post-Sharon era. Here's some interesting information from the Wikipedia entry about the Munich Massacre. In the book Striking Back : The 1972 Munich Olympics Massacre and Israel's Deadly Response, published December 20, 2005, by Aaron J. Klein, the author contends that the Mossad only killed one man directly tied to the Munich Massacre, and that was in 1992. He mentions that the real planners had gone into hiding in Eastern Bloc countries and that the ones who were killed off were lesser Palestinian activists. The Mossad made them out to be some of the planners and the PLO trumpeted their importance so the legend of the power of the Mossad grew. The website also contends that in the 1999 book by the only surviving planner of the attack, Abu Daoud, Memoirs of a Palestinian Terrorist, funds for the attack were supplied by Mahmoud Abbas, who is currently the President of the Palestinian Authority. Expand
  48. PeterG.
    Jan 11, 2006
    One of the most incredible thought provoking movies in years. I was skeptical to view such a long movie at first but this movie kept me on the edge of my seat until the credits began to roll. This may very well be the best movie I have ever seen. Every element from cinematography, music, acting, and plotline were amazingly well executed with exciting action and mind stimulating dialogue. It
  49. MarkT.
    Jan 14, 2006
    Another Spielberg masterpiece, but not always clear on character motivation. Many loose ends not always explained. Special efects are superb.
  50. RicardoCorona
    Jan 14, 2006
    Suspense, drama, Shocking!
  51. MisterThomYorke
    Jan 15, 2006
    Wow. When did turning the other cheek become leftist? Pretty sure that's a Jesus thing. What a load of socialist hippie crap, right? You people really need to understand - sometimes movies have a message. Sometimes you may disagree with the message - but don't call it propaganda just because you don't agree. Try closing your mouth for a second and opening your mind to new Wow. When did turning the other cheek become leftist? Pretty sure that's a Jesus thing. What a load of socialist hippie crap, right? You people really need to understand - sometimes movies have a message. Sometimes you may disagree with the message - but don't call it propaganda just because you don't agree. Try closing your mouth for a second and opening your mind to new opinions. Understand that not everyone thinks like you nor are they wrong if they don't. Anywho, as the movie pointed out, the terrorists from Palestine didn't just start killing Jews for no reason. Both sides are equally guilty. It's depressing and hopeless and a neverending cycle (as the film also pointed out) but just blaming Palestinians without acknowledging similar atrocities commited by the other side is ignorant. The movie clearly said that violence leads to more violence - that's nothing political, that's common sense. On the negative side, the movie was way too long, but it was interesting and pretty freakin balanced - especially coming from a Jewish director. A lesser director (and perhaps many of the users commenting here) would have painted the Jewish assasins as heroes and shown no consideration for the Palestinian side of the equation. No one is innocent and no one is a hero for taking another's life. Pretty sure that's a Jesus thing too. Expand
  52. SM.
    Jan 16, 2006
    Did all the people who gave a low score see the same movie as I? Get over the "not historically accurate to the letter' bit - some people are so anal about that!! The movie labels itself as "inspired by true events', maybe people don't understand that this doesn't mean it's a biography. It's a great story with fantastic acting and a good message about the Did all the people who gave a low score see the same movie as I? Get over the "not historically accurate to the letter' bit - some people are so anal about that!! The movie labels itself as "inspired by true events', maybe people don't understand that this doesn't mean it's a biography. It's a great story with fantastic acting and a good message about the fact that terrorists come from all kinds of places and represent all kinds of causes. I reccommend it to anyone with some worldy interest and a love of great film! Expand
  53. RonL.
    Jan 16, 2006
    I just got back from seeing this film. It was excellent. I have read a number of reviews here on Metacritic and I think it's funny that the people giving it the lowest scores treated Munich like a Tom Cruise action film. Munich was a real event and there was retaliation for it. I'm not suggesting, even for a moment that Munich was not a fictionalized account of events. But I just got back from seeing this film. It was excellent. I have read a number of reviews here on Metacritic and I think it's funny that the people giving it the lowest scores treated Munich like a Tom Cruise action film. Munich was a real event and there was retaliation for it. I'm not suggesting, even for a moment that Munich was not a fictionalized account of events. But people should keep in mind killing people is a horrible affair, and when you kill people it affects you. You need look no further than some of our own Vietnam vets and some of the guys coming home from the Gulf. We need to look at this film's real message. Hate breeds hate and that breeds death. I would never suggest that anyone should ever negotiate with terrorists, but perhaps its time to put under the microscope how they become that way? Stop looking to Tom Cruise action heroes for the answers. Munich doesn't have them either, but it does raise some interesting questions about where peace begins. Avoid this film if you don Expand
  54. RichG.
    Jan 18, 2006
    Gripping well acted and thrilling. Great use of the handheld camera. A most see for movie makers and movie goers. with a fantastic serious story.
  55. DavidR.
    Jan 29, 2006
    I think this movie very very powerful to me its very Groundbreaking, and more telling it that i want to see it again, Spielberg is at his very best again, Definitley to win Best Picture and Best Director of the year awards from OSCARS.
  56. JustinK.
    Jan 29, 2006
    One of Spielberg's finest works, a sheer masterpiece. Flawless acting, directing, and writing, the absolute BEST Film of 2005.
  57. RR
    Feb 1, 2006
    Munich is not a movie to enjoy. It is harsh, unflinching and raises uncomfortable questions on a very personal level. It is a film about the roots of violence, the act of denial that it takes to perform acts of violence against your own kind, and the vicious circle of crime and retaliation. The message is: sometimes we do what we feel we have to, even if it means sacrificing that which Munich is not a movie to enjoy. It is harsh, unflinching and raises uncomfortable questions on a very personal level. It is a film about the roots of violence, the act of denial that it takes to perform acts of violence against your own kind, and the vicious circle of crime and retaliation. The message is: sometimes we do what we feel we have to, even if it means sacrificing that which makes us human. The message is: there is no easy answer. And, as with all great works of art, the film doesn't tell us what to think. It simply tells a story, which could be set in Texas, New Zealand, or the moon. It just happens to use a historic tragedy that has modern implications. Naturally, people are (and will continue to be) upset by this. People want black and white, good and evil. Watching likeable characters perform inhuman acts of violence is not easy to stomach. Neither is having to face the fact that "the bad guys" are just like us - they feel they are right, they have families and friends that care for them, and they are scared and horrified and, yes, violent, just like we can be. All of this is centered on a fantastic performance by Eric Bana, who, under Spielberg's masterful direction, manages to squeeze so much life into his confllicted character that I couldn't help but be drawn in. Well worth seeing, but keep an open mind and be aware that this movie is quite violent; it shows what it's really like to shoot another human being: it's ugly and horrifying. And there are no heroes here, just normal people in abnormal circumstances. Thank you, Stephen Spielberg, for showing me that even one of the most famous mainstream director's in the woirld can create art that does what all art should: make the right people feel uncomfortable as hell. Expand
  58. Jake
    Feb 2, 2006
    Although Munich doesn't give any answers, it does raise a lot of questions about violence and its use against enemies, whether justified or not. The years best. Deserves the oscar, hands down, but I don't know if it has a chance against Brokeback.
  59. LarnerM.
    Feb 5, 2006
    Good drama film i enjoyed watching every sec but this is a hard film to understand not everyone would understand who why what is going on if you miss any part of the film you would have 2 see it again.
  60. Joe
    Feb 5, 2006
    Did the fate rest in the hands of these five men? No, although they thought it at the time.....for those of you that listen closely, in the end Kaufmann's boss (forget his name) asks him "you think you were the only team?" Come on, if you are going to complain about a movie, make sure it's not because you failed to pay attention to subtlties. As for complaints about violence, Did the fate rest in the hands of these five men? No, although they thought it at the time.....for those of you that listen closely, in the end Kaufmann's boss (forget his name) asks him "you think you were the only team?" Come on, if you are going to complain about a movie, make sure it's not because you failed to pay attention to subtlties. As for complaints about violence, why the hell did you go and see a rated-r film about assassins? Good Lord people! And for those of you that interpreted seeing the twin towers in the background as "implication" that these events led to 9/11, it seems that is your own interpretation, and again, your complaint is again derived from you seeing what you wanted to see in this picture. If you're going to critisize, find something that doesn't stem from bias and assumption. Expand
  61. Mart
    Feb 6, 2006
    Not perfect but very good.It's very well acted,especially by Eric Bana.Spielberg tried to humanise both sides but there's no pleasing some people.He took true events and used poetic license to make a story out of it.Everyone should remember it's a film,not a documemtary.
  62. CraigA.
    Feb 8, 2006
    I was surprised at how balanced it was. Speilberg isn't messing around or being lenient on either side. He attacks both Israel and the Palestinians equally and at times really goes to town. I imagine that both sides will be furious with him for some time to come. Some of the conversations in Munich are pretty high-IQ analyses of the situtation and definitely the most un-Hollywood I was surprised at how balanced it was. Speilberg isn't messing around or being lenient on either side. He attacks both Israel and the Palestinians equally and at times really goes to town. I imagine that both sides will be furious with him for some time to come. Some of the conversations in Munich are pretty high-IQ analyses of the situtation and definitely the most un-Hollywood thing i've seen for a while. I think it humanises (and dehumanises) both sides in equal measure. There's a great scene where Eric Bana has a conversation on the balcony with the 'target' he's about to blow up. It gives a personality to somebody who will next be seen as a selection of body parts. Oh yeah, its very violent. Regarding 'crucial facts', the 'truth' doesn't really come into it since this is a *film* of a *novel* which is an *account* of how things *might* have happened. And its not an account of Munich itself (see/read One Day in September). For example, I only felt moved to object to one crashingly obvious bias: one of the final flashbacks to Munich painted the events at the airport in a very black and white "and then the Palestinians shot all the hostages" way. By all accounts the stand off at the airport was very confused and we'll never really know how the hostages died (they could have been simply in the crossfire). Otherwise, the portrayal of both sides is pretty fair. The film basically says that vengence is just another form of terrorism and reprisal killings just breed more terror. It doesn't shy away from heavily suggesting that Israel killed people just to make itself feel better rather than because they had anything to do with Munich (cf: US invasion of Afghanistan in response to Sept 11th). In the same way that Black September's response to exile and oppression was to turn to terror, Israel's response to that very terror was to turn to terrorism, ad infinatum... no end ever. Expand
  63. HamishM.
    Feb 10, 2006
    I was uncertain how I felt leaving the cinema. It's a hell of a subject to pick notwithstanding that it's only inspired by events. However, I think that overall its a very good depiction of what could have followed the massacre. Acting was generally strong and period scenes very good. I think to appreciate the film you need to remove yourself from all the current debate about I was uncertain how I felt leaving the cinema. It's a hell of a subject to pick notwithstanding that it's only inspired by events. However, I think that overall its a very good depiction of what could have followed the massacre. Acting was generally strong and period scenes very good. I think to appreciate the film you need to remove yourself from all the current debate about who's right and wrong and look at it for what it is - a story. The fact is that understanding the background helps the understand the story - that's it. I don't believe that comment is being passed one way or the other on Israelis or Palestinians/Arabs. So with all that said, it's a powerful depiction of the fictional aftermath of a terrible event. Not Bambi that's for sure, but without being gratuitously violent - and all the better for that. Expand
  64. KittyP.
    Feb 13, 2006
    blanced pointed of view, I like it.
  65. David
    Feb 20, 2006
    I'm only giving my personal point of view, but it had been more than a year that I had'nt been through a movie without checking my watch...The political stance is very ambiguous and gives an interesting outlook at the situation. PS=Frenchman Matthieu Kassovitz rocks!
  66. JoelW.
    Feb 22, 2006
    I thought it was a really great film. Tense all the way through. Eric Bana as Avner contributed a very subtle, honest and admiring performance. Emotionally impacting as a whole - daring, bold and compulsive. Spielberg masterfully directs this film of Epic political and religious conundrums in an exciting and intelligent way. Highly reccomend this film. Place all prejudices aside.
  67. moviegeek
    Feb 24, 2006
    This might be the best "directed" film of the year, altough not the best picture. All de carework, lighting and art direction in Munich is superb. Perhaps, what's faltering are some loose ends in the movie. I mean, Eric Bana's character is like a "dream-character" for a tough Mossad agent, and I don't really think IN THE REAL WORLD the "players" involved here discuss so This might be the best "directed" film of the year, altough not the best picture. All de carework, lighting and art direction in Munich is superb. Perhaps, what's faltering are some loose ends in the movie. I mean, Eric Bana's character is like a "dream-character" for a tough Mossad agent, and I don't really think IN THE REAL WORLD the "players" involved here discuss so much about the righteous of his assignement. Also, moral ambivalences aside (which are great me) I'm kind of tired of Spielberg's inmature and schmaltzy resolutions of conflicted scenes like terrorists "tuning" Al Green on the radio instead of their native songs to "get even" and the exploitation of children (the palestinian girl who's about to answer the call picking a "phone-bomb") who ARE usually on the director's pocket of cheap tricks to make us cringe. Although the latter scene is expertly played out in cinematic tension, why don't use a houskeeping? We were to feel ANY sorrier had a WOMAN intead of a CHILD being attacked? Expand
  68. KristinneG.
    Mar 5, 2006
    No words 4 such a Good Movie.
  69. Ayat
    Mar 6, 2006
    Amazing movie. One of the best thrillers I have seen, and the characters are real and relatable.
  70. YoussefI.
    Mar 8, 2006
    Excellent. Spielberg handles very comples issues deftly with moral clarity and considerable fairness to both sides, israelis and arabs. Essentially his message is violence only engenders more violence, no matter what reasons cause it to be. There is no ultimate justice or ultimate victim.
  71. ChadS.
    Mar 10, 2006
    When "Munich" finally shows us how the remaining hostages were killed at the airport, the filmmaker crosscuts this tragedy with Avner having relations with his wife. He doesn't seem to be making love to her. There's no eye-to-eye contact. His mind is elsewhere; presumably, on the violent end those Israeli athletes met at the airport. The filmmaker teases us with increments of When "Munich" finally shows us how the remaining hostages were killed at the airport, the filmmaker crosscuts this tragedy with Avner having relations with his wife. He doesn't seem to be making love to her. There's no eye-to-eye contact. His mind is elsewhere; presumably, on the violent end those Israeli athletes met at the airport. The filmmaker teases us with increments of the whole story throughout its two hour-plus running time, and the last installment is the payoff. In my estimation, however, Avner's mind would be on his comrades, who under his command, die in retaliation against the Palestinian terrorists, and not what we are shown. But this is a minor quibble. "Munich" is astonishing the way it gives us nourishing popcorn. The violence, at times, plays like a homage to Martin Scorsese's love of bloodshedding. Expand
  72. The_Elusive_Possom
    Apr 27, 2006
    A bit heavy-going, but Eric Bana's fit. So this gets a 7. You can check my working if you like.
  73. WillieG.
    May 22, 2006
    This film was executed rather well. This is precisely the sort of serious subject matter Spielberg should stick with at this point in his career. In other words, he needs to direct more flicks like Munich, not schlock like The Terminal. I'll also say that in this day and age, it's encouraging to see islamic terrorists get what they deserve.
  74. [anonymous]
    May 27, 2006
    What starts out as a revenge epic becomes a thrilling exploration of the psyche of assasins/terrorists and what it does to everybody. A bold departure from typical fast-paced action flicks.
  75. JS
    Jul 24, 2006
    Some of the reviews here are rather ridiculous. I guess many were expecting a Schwartznegger or Stallone style action flick. This is a TRUE STORY; thats why its not always action-packed, and the ending might not have the standard closure that most moviegoers are used to. Yes, Spielberg could have embellished the action and changed the story to better please the teenage crowd, as well as Some of the reviews here are rather ridiculous. I guess many were expecting a Schwartznegger or Stallone style action flick. This is a TRUE STORY; thats why its not always action-packed, and the ending might not have the standard closure that most moviegoers are used to. Yes, Spielberg could have embellished the action and changed the story to better please the teenage crowd, as well as hire big name actors like Tom Cruise to play the lead. But he didn't do any of these things, which makes the story seem much more authentic. And speaking of authentic, the detail is incredible; hairstyles, shirts, even furniture look genuine 1972 without going overboard. The film also doesn't patronize, sympathize too much with terrorists, or insult our intelligence. It simply tells the story, and lets us make up our own minds on what is justice here. The only quibble I have is that the movie seems slightly darkly lit, even when the actors are walking out in the broad daylight. Expand
  76. PaoloA.
    Aug 4, 2006
    This is like broke back mountain a really really good movie.
  77. BrabaraM.
    Jan 17, 2007
    Thought provoking. Attempts to show that there is more than one side to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. For every Israeli explanation for the current violence there is an equally convincing Palestiniian explanation. What's fascinating is that the explanations are the same.
  78. SeanP.
    Mar 7, 2007
    I'm very surprised this film didn't even make it to the 80s, especially with all the 100s it got from critics. But just consider this: it's very rare for Beraldinelli, Ebert, EW, and Empire to ALL give the same film a perfect score (it's hard for Beraldinelli and Empire to give a 100, period). Just this fact alone managed to make me ignore the rest of the critics who I'm very surprised this film didn't even make it to the 80s, especially with all the 100s it got from critics. But just consider this: it's very rare for Beraldinelli, Ebert, EW, and Empire to ALL give the same film a perfect score (it's hard for Beraldinelli and Empire to give a 100, period). Just this fact alone managed to make me ignore the rest of the critics who brought the film down to 74, and I watched it in the theaters anyway (something i usually only reserve for 75+ films). And yes, I agreed with all those 100s. It's one of Spielberg's best films, and that's saying a lot. You just need to be patient with it, not like, say, Jurassic Park. Expand
  79. Dec 10, 2010
    A decent watch, tracking the descent into madness an undercover agent goes through as he works for the benefit of his state. Bana's performance is excellent, as is the rest of the cast. It certainly went on for too long, which is strange considering there are explosions and murder. Compare it to the Insider which goes on just as long but remains very gripping solely through characterA decent watch, tracking the descent into madness an undercover agent goes through as he works for the benefit of his state. Bana's performance is excellent, as is the rest of the cast. It certainly went on for too long, which is strange considering there are explosions and murder. Compare it to the Insider which goes on just as long but remains very gripping solely through character interactions. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    A superbly taut and well-made thriller that jumps from Geneva to Rome, from Paris to Beirut, from Athens to Brooklyn, each lethal assignment staged with a mastery Hitchcock might envy.
    Bana is magnificent in the role.
  3. A mesmerizing, richly nuanced inquiry into Israel's revenge of the Munich massacre of its athletes.