Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: November 10, 2017
6.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 312 Ratings
Watch Now
Tony1984Jan 27, 2018
The initial set up on the Orient Express is Hollywood at its best, just the right amount of glamour, tension and anticipation. The costume, location and props departments were on top of their game. The camera work pulls out all the stops too,The initial set up on the Orient Express is Hollywood at its best, just the right amount of glamour, tension and anticipation. The costume, location and props departments were on top of their game. The camera work pulls out all the stops too, We get every camera shot you could imagine, tracking shots, crane shots, side angled, colour filtered, you name it Orient had it. The express chugs along nicely until we got to the trestle bridge and from here on its weak and becomes just an average flick. The original 1974 movie picked up Oscars but no fear of that here. The contemporary PC agenda which has seeped into the movie industry is dolloped in spades here. It detracts and grates serving only to annoy the viewer. There are also too many star names with too little for each of them to do. Lesser well known names would have worked better. Poirot is suppose to be fastidious and odd. Branagh makes him cool and in the centre of the action all the time. Fans of Agatha Christie will not be happy with that. The logical exposition isn't highlighted. The pleasure of solving an unsolvable case by gradually peeling back the layers isn't here. Rather just emotion and cheesiness. The cat is let out the bag too early and with a thud. We then do a bit of moral wrestling. And Poirot bows to moral ambiguity.
Its entertaining but not A standard. Not the last we'll see either. Death on the Nile is coming
TVJerryNov 29, 2017
Toss a bunch of stars on the titular train and wait for the dramatic fireworks. With a cast that includes Judi Dench, Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer, you'd expect lots of scenery-chewing fun. And it does start with class and humor. ButToss a bunch of stars on the titular train and wait for the dramatic fireworks. With a cast that includes Judi Dench, Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer, you'd expect lots of scenery-chewing fun. And it does start with class and humor. But once the murder occurs, detective Hercule Poirot (played by Kenneth Branagh who also directed) drags things down with tedious cross examinations. Despite the dreary pacing and lack of any sparks from the underplayed cast, the scenery, art direction and cinematography are gorgeous. Still, it's a literal and figurative train wreck thanks to the overstuffed gravitas that Branagh brings to the track. Expand
imthenoobNov 22, 2017
Don't understand the hate for this movie at all. I thought Branagh did a fantastic job directing and leading as Poirot, which offers his own original take on the character. Yes, It does follow the plot of the book but why change it when itDon't understand the hate for this movie at all. I thought Branagh did a fantastic job directing and leading as Poirot, which offers his own original take on the character. Yes, It does follow the plot of the book but why change it when it doesn't need changing? If you are a fan of the book, You are gonna enjoy the movie. And the star-studded cast does a great job with what little-shared screen time they have. Depp especially was enjoyable. It's a little slow at times (really just around the middle of the film) but the ending was perfectly performed and executed. Go see it, It's a good film. Expand
marcmyworksNov 21, 2017
I am a huge Poirot and Agatha Christie fan and honestly this movie fell flat for me. Whatever joy and subtle humour is added to any British film has been sucked dry in this star filled remake. Overall if director and actor Kenneth Branagh hadI am a huge Poirot and Agatha Christie fan and honestly this movie fell flat for me. Whatever joy and subtle humour is added to any British film has been sucked dry in this star filled remake. Overall if director and actor Kenneth Branagh had focused on adding to this classic, rather than having cheap short action sequences, CGI set design and odd camera angles, it may have worked better in his favour. Also, Poirot's moustache is supposed to be ridiculous, but not that ridiculous. Expand
DefinitelyMaybDec 1, 2017
Wow what an amazing piece of turd that Kenneth Branagh has managed to make again. Although I've haven't read the Murder On the Orient Express,but have read other Poirot stories and had followed David Suchet's excellent portrayal, thisWow what an amazing piece of turd that Kenneth Branagh has managed to make again. Although I've haven't read the Murder On the Orient Express,but have read other Poirot stories and had followed David Suchet's excellent portrayal, this adaptation is a complete disaster of a film that is only serviceable at best. Whilst the production design is good and had some fun moments at the beginning, this is a 'detective story' (and I use the term loosely here) that thinks its doing detective work, but is in fact too busy trying to be a social justice lecture instead. It manages within it's short running time to artificially shoehorn a random chase scene,a bizarre ill-conceived interracial subplot which I'm pretty sure wouldn't be in the original, definitely race-baiting that works throughout the film, an underexplained and underdeveloped backstory that is vital to the plot (I am bewildered why Branagh doesn't do this at the start of the film) and perhaps the worst denouement that has been ever put on screen. The problem with this adaptation isn't because it doesn't add anything new or that its technically wrong, its because it manages to butchers the entire story with some really atrocious filmmaking. 1) Arguably the most egregious problem with this adaptation is that Branagh manages to completely rush the detective work and underdevelop a large majority of the characters. He completely side-steps most of the detective work that should be expected of this film by hardly introducing to a majority of the characters where by the end of the film I hardly knew what their names were because they hardly appeared on screen on at interacted with one another. Some characters are completely forgotten but magically reappear when needed to advance the plot. Although Branagh decides to make Poirot as the central element of the film, this is a complete misstep due to the fact we never understand any of the characters alibis or in fact how they interact. It feels so rushed and lacked any care that by the end where one character is also stabbed, this is quickly forgotten by the next scene and never mentioned again until the end. It is utterly bizzare and the worst kind of sin to commit in a detective film where details and continuity matter. What I suspect is that a lot of scenes were cut from this film and that the filmmakers decided to focus on this bizzare thesis the films try to make out throughout which is that there are grey areas to life?

2) The pacing is all over the place. Whilst the beginning is enjoyable as a Hollywood specatcle. It hurts the film the most because we spend nearly 40 minutes before the actual crime is committed. As a result, the film by the middle is rushed to the death. There are odd cuts of time throughout the film where you never quite know how he is progressing with the case. This is so bad by the end that they decide to immediately cut to the denouement without even giving clues to who could have done it. By the middle and the end, these scenes are fired at the audience so fast that its intention is probably to distract the fact they forgot to build any of these scenes up naturally. A random action scene is cut in the middle of this to create tension maybe? But yet the film never feel tense or anythng remotely dangerous as other poirot stories. Branagh manages to stuff up what makes Poirot books great but forgetting that a lot of other adaprtation lets the characters talk to each other and only show clues to who could've done it. This film does it at the beginning but quickly forgets about this exercise which in turn makes it a mess of a script. 3) Bad creative decisions. By now you have probably heard of the overshot camera shots which does happen a couple of times. Yes they are distracting and are unnceessary given it be much better if we could see the character's reaction. I think Branagh intention thorughout his shots is to show how cramp and tense the situation they are in but this is completely undercut throughout the film by exterior shots that are CGI heavy meaning all that tension never simmer away. Perhaps another awful thing is that the tale never feels real because all the other passengers and cooks are never again shown despite the fact the train is super long. 4) Not enough character work. For a detective film, you would think the film will spend the majority of its time trying to develope a motive and interaction between our suspects. However Branagh decides he is above this sheet and decides not to do any of it. The film litereally diverts from this with a crude montage of the characters that should be given most screen time but bypass them all together. Judi Dench, William Dafoe, Penelope Cruz & Michelle Piffer are all victims of this bizzare choice meaning we never really understand what is happening.

In conclusion, this is by far one of the worst detective film and adaptaion put on screen. ITs a shame because I want to see more of this genre but this fails bad.
AkumaJackDec 9, 2017
the score is about 6.5 and 7.
the score is about 6.5 and 7.
Dialogues are sometimes a bit cringe-y and uninspired but the acting (Kenneth Branagh, Michele Pfeifer especially) is very good. Not only the acting branagh is good but also the directing one. Shots are surpsingly well constructed most of the time (Like one of the last ones being a quote on a Leonardo Davinci's painting). Overall is a decent film based on a great novel. Worth seing if you are a fan of the genre.
JLuis_001Nov 16, 2017
I had great expectations about this film, not only for Branagh, but because the film looked good, what the hell, it looked great and what can I say about the cast, a cast full of stars. What could possibly go wrong? Apparently everything,I had great expectations about this film, not only for Branagh, but because the film looked good, what the hell, it looked great and what can I say about the cast, a cast full of stars. What could possibly go wrong? Apparently everything, don't get me wrong, I'm not going to say that Murder on the Orient Express is a bad movie, but in reality it is a very weak film, a hollow one, too inclined towards a noir style that never ends up working.

Kenneth Branagh opts for a style full of romanticism and mysticism, focused more on giving a classic tone to the story instead of granting it more substance. The story moves with a gross slowness, spend almost 30 minutes in the beginning and nothing has happened, and I say this for people who haven't read the novel or don't know anything about the other adaptations, for them it might feel lethargic.

The mystery and the tension depends more on you as an spectator instead of what the script achieves and although most of the actors do their job well, there is nothing out of the ordinary and nobody is doing something memorable.

A pity, I really expected a lot more, I cannot deny that I have this enormous feeling of disappointment.
I planned to give it fifty points but I gave it sixty for its production values.
OrigamiPandaJan 23, 2018
A perfectly... fine film. The visuals are gorgeous and the acting is decent for the most part, but there are many other problems that hinder this film. It's a little underwhelming. A decent, but average, film.
IttiacesNov 10, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Admittedly I enjoyed this movie a little less than expected. It looks beautiful, has an A-list cast and of course is adapted from a book by legendary crime writer Agatha Christie. I took a Christie expert to the theatre with me, who has over the years read everything that bears her name. When Kenneth Branagh appeared on screen for the first time, she turned to me and said: "No, Nooo, Noooooo". So if you're a hardcore Hercule Poirot fan, then you may find this hard to watch as Brannagh does not embody that character as faithfully as he is written. If you don't care about that whatsoever then, good news, you'll probably enjoy this incarnation a lot more. There are a lot of very well known actors in this that share screen time with each other and don't take up a lot of individual attention. Daisy Ridley and Michelle Pfeiffer do seem to get more time. Pfeifer is electric; I wish she'd do more movies. Of course, there were no weak performances as you would expect from a group of this calibre. Johnny Depp as much as I love him does ham it up terribly, this seems to be an ongoing feature of all his work these days, but his character is engaging.

Overall the pace does seem stilted, and it drags on a little too long for me. Being shot entirely in a studio, all of the environments outside the train were CG, even though they proved stunning. A couple of the backdrops, although pretty, did not look photoreal which you'd expect from a feature like this. The ending set the franchise up for a sequel, Death on the Nile, another Christie book so if you enjoyed this one then there's another to look forward to. It's a decent movie, and the all-star cast provides a novelty that you won't get in any films these days. Worth a look.
avid_readerNov 22, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I suspect if you have not read the book, you may like this movie better. There's no doubt that there's much to commend, with a fine (albeit wasted) cast and impressive cinematography. As well as being a massive Christie fan and having read the book more times than I can remember, I also saw the original (and excellent) 1974 movie, so this movie had a lot to live up to. Unfortunately, it didn't really deliver.
Let's start with Branagh's Poirot and that moustache. Ridiculous, but not in the way that Christie painted him. Viewers need look no further than Suchet's Poirot for how this character should look and be played. He is a ridiculous little egg-head of a man, fastidious to a point (he would never deliberately step in manure) and inordinately proud of his silly, jet-black moustache. Sadly, Branagh's Poirot is too tall, the moustache is over the top (even for Poirot) and is a man of action. The addition of a ridiculous and unnecessary love backstory was a major irritant, as was the time wasted on a whole sequence where Poirot solves another mystery at the beginning of the movie. Time that could have been better spent setting the scene for the Armstrong kidnapping or fleshing out other characters a bit more.
Another important point, of 12 stab wounds, 12 passengers and the idea of a jury passing judgment on a criminal (a major point in the book and the original movie) was thrown out the window, which was a pity. The whole point was that those 12 passengers (well, 11 + the conductor) sat in judgment on Cassett and executed him, as they saw it).
Michelle Pfeiffer was excellent, she did a great job with a fairly poorly written script and her Mrs Hubbard was most believable. Daisy Ridley was also wonderful as the cool and composed Mary Debenham - I did find the amount of screentime she received, over and above other characters, rather unbalanced though. As others have said, Judi Dench was completely wasted in this movie, as was the wonderful Olivia Coleman and others. A chase over an aqueduct structure at one point, a shooting scene and an additional stabbing added nothing to the story and seemed overindulgent to me. Some of the camera work was irritating - there were a lot of shots from above, less of these would have made this view more effective.
I didn't think the additions to the storyline really added much. Making Poirot a friend of the Armstrongs was another self-indulgence, in my opinion. The unfolding of the whole Armstrong backstory was heavy handed. See the 1974 movie for its treatment of this backstory - it was much better.
This story relies on the tension of the passengers in the Calais coach - the train has been stopped due to the snow, they cannot leave the train. Messing with that and having a story where passengers are getting on and off the train and walking around in the snow having conversations with Poirot and one another, just ruins that tension and is frankly, quite silly.
To sum up - this movie was a huge disappointment and did not deliver on all the hype that surrounded it. I will go home tonight and watch the original movie to make myself feel better.
scealaveryNov 26, 2017
Murder on the orient express tells a story not like any other. It provides a neat and thought provoking twist to the whole Murder Mystery ordeal but now that it's appearing on a modern day cinema screen it's given the opportunity to flourishMurder on the orient express tells a story not like any other. It provides a neat and thought provoking twist to the whole Murder Mystery ordeal but now that it's appearing on a modern day cinema screen it's given the opportunity to flourish and glow.
The first few minute's of the film set up the next hour and a half nicely, we are given an effective introduction to the greatest detective alive (probably) Hercule Poirot played by the charismatic but heavily accented Kenneth Branagh. Through clever scene's we are given insight into Poirot's psychology, attention to detail and personal views on the foundation of his work which succumb to a ruckus later on. All of this is set up nicely with Poirot solving a simple case in Jerusalem where amidst the suspects of a jewel theft the involved Officer is accused and revealed guilty. This introduce's the sense that thing's are not always what they seem in the movie and that no stone is left unturned. After Poirot decides to have a holiday he boards the Orient Express with his useless friend M.Bouc who is played by the witty and attentive Tom Batemen. What follow's is an excellent tracking shot of the Poirot making his way up the train. This is where the Imagery really shine's as well as the Camera work that works appropriately when showing you the wide open space's of mountain rages to the claustrophobic yet comfortable Express train. The Camera is truly one of the best performers of the Movie, most of the time. Murder on the orient express feature's a range of character's from different class's, races and societies with each one being given a brief introduction that reflects both their personalities and influence over the mystery. For example take princess Dragomiroff, played by Judi Dench. Her frustrated attitude towards her maid and the conductor indicate her impatience and believed authority she has over people. This is also seen in her actions as she refuses to enter her recommended cabin and instead moves along the carriage to find one she likes.
The casting in this Movie is also fantastic. Johnny Depp gives his character a devious, mysterious and crafty edge while Josh Gad plays his character with a degree of realism and a natural flow to the different emotions felt by the character. We all know that a murder take's place on the train but how its handled in the story is where the Movie produces problems. During the inspection of the Victim's cabin the director made the odd decision to point the camera down at the actors from above which hides their faces. This is the first initial shock of the movie and the actors should act appropriately but because of this technique we cant see such an expressively draining performance. There are also elements of the story that are not included in the book, some of them add a little more to the character's and the relationship they have with one another but some or pointless to say the least and appropriately go nowhere. As someone who has read the book I can say that this is by any merit a faithful adaptation as it provides the same themes, viewpoint and message of the book while using the same methods and crafty storytelling. Of course this movie has issues but no movie is flawless, and appropriate to the story nobody is flawless.
KarimSoliman10Nov 28, 2017
I am a very big Poirot reader and after reading the book I am very impressed. Kenneth Branagh as Hercule Poirot is beautifully acted. He was witty and he showed how clever Poirot really was. The movie itself is very good all the charactersI am a very big Poirot reader and after reading the book I am very impressed. Kenneth Branagh as Hercule Poirot is beautifully acted. He was witty and he showed how clever Poirot really was. The movie itself is very good all the characters played their part well you could understand the motive and the ending topped the movie off. You never get many movies like this old-fashioned mystery movies and I loved it! Expand
ProteusNov 11, 2017
Whats not to like folks? Brannagh is great...charming. The story itself a classic. Good actors abound. And you get what is promised. That can't be said for so many movies. Take grandma, the kids your wife and your mistress. Enjoy.
easterfieldsNov 11, 2017
Kenneth Branagh has done a superb job with this film as well as the starring character. Not for everyone, especially since this is an old crime tale and most viewers have long since been desensitized by much worse and severe crime tales.Kenneth Branagh has done a superb job with this film as well as the starring character. Not for everyone, especially since this is an old crime tale and most viewers have long since been desensitized by much worse and severe crime tales. Nonetheless, Kenneth knows his material well and gives the spotlight moment to each of the great members of the supporting cast. A very enjoyable and thought-provoking experience. I hope to see a follow-up! Expand
foxgroveNov 11, 2017
After a quirky and humorous first half an hour leading up to the murder the film begins to derail. The interrogations begin and the film, pretty much like the train itself, comes to a halt. Until this point, Kenneth Brannagh, the fine editingAfter a quirky and humorous first half an hour leading up to the murder the film begins to derail. The interrogations begin and the film, pretty much like the train itself, comes to a halt. Until this point, Kenneth Brannagh, the fine editing and the exemplary camera work have contributed to a promising start. Brannagh presents Poiret with much charm and charisma and is really the only cast member (Michelle Pfeiffer not withstanding)with anything of significance to do. Production values are as predictably as good as they should be, but are still somewhat behind those of the earlier 1974 version. And let's face it that was no masterpiece either. However, at least in that one the cast had a bit more to work with. A remake was certainly not out of the question, it's just a shame that the result should end up being an opportunity missed. Also at 2 hours the film feels as long as the train journey itself. Expand
bkristmanNov 11, 2017
Excellent version of a classic story with Ken Brannagh doing a great turn as Poirot and as director .
He brings the usual quirkiness to the role as well as added nuance,depth and physicality which is welcome.
The rest of the actors do good
The rest of the actors do good work as well.
Johnny Depp plays his part straight up .
Well worth seeing.
AxeTNov 10, 2017
Sumptuous, elegant, 65mm richly photographed all star cast in the famous old mystery adapted probably many times over all the years, so why do it again now? Why not if it has some mildly humorous witty philosophy on the endless culturalSumptuous, elegant, 65mm richly photographed all star cast in the famous old mystery adapted probably many times over all the years, so why do it again now? Why not if it has some mildly humorous witty philosophy on the endless cultural fascination with crime and murder stories more in fashion than ever now? Expand
twall3Nov 13, 2017
Well crafted and acted, intriguing mystery, many beautifully filmed establishing shots sprinkled in throughout. Believe the positive reviews and ignore the negative reviews on this one. A reminder that a great movie can be made WITHOUTWell crafted and acted, intriguing mystery, many beautifully filmed establishing shots sprinkled in throughout. Believe the positive reviews and ignore the negative reviews on this one. A reminder that a great movie can be made WITHOUT extreme violence, sex scenes, nudity, tons of bad language, etc. I'll admit that in the first few scenes introducing the detective, I thought his mustache was distractingly fake looking and didn't know if I'd like him. Before long his character more than impressed me - was wise, noble and steadfast. I hope he's featured in a similar sequel! Expand
Rebecca31Nov 10, 2017
It’s a whodunit murder mystery and for someone who hasn’t seen the original I didn’t figure out who done it before I was supposed to, I was never bored and I was entertained. We’re living in a time of no originality and endless remakes and/orIt’s a whodunit murder mystery and for someone who hasn’t seen the original I didn’t figure out who done it before I was supposed to, I was never bored and I was entertained. We’re living in a time of no originality and endless remakes and/or spinoffs so maybe there was no need to remake this one. But it will gain a new generation of fans and with a star-studded cast like this it will certainly bring in an audience. So if you’re sick of the superhero movies or The Killing of a Sacred Deer is a little too messed up for your taste then make sure to go to Murder on the Orient Express, you will not be disappointed.

Thirteen passengers go on a luxury train, one passenger gets murdered and the murderer is presumably still on the train. So who can solve this crime before the murderer strikes again? The best damn detective in the world that’s who. Kenneth Branagh directs and stars as the worlds best detective. However, it really seems like he only remade this just so he could play Detective Hercule Poirot. I haven’t seen anyone have that much fun with a role in a long time. He’s loving every single scene. Delivers exactly what it advertises, keeps the suspense and it’s very pretty to look at. Yet at the same time it’s quite forgettable. It gets a bit too stagey especially towards the end and I just wish it had been a little more gripping. If you’re looking for your weekend cinema fix then look no further, Murder on the Orient Express should be your choice. Recommended.
DarthNihilusNov 14, 2017
Even star power couldn't help this film. Despite having an all-star ensemble cast (who can all act very well), this film was a massive dud. The marketing campaign was very, very good and the only reason that this film ended up on my radar inEven star power couldn't help this film. Despite having an all-star ensemble cast (who can all act very well), this film was a massive dud. The marketing campaign was very, very good and the only reason that this film ended up on my radar in the first place. I was bored to death in theater and even fell asleep a few times due to the uninteresting plot, horrible dialogue and lacking character development or depth of story. Just an all around bad movie. Expand
thedaywalkerNov 11, 2017
It's ok
It's ok
I personally love misteries and kinda enjoyed this one and the connections it made, but i think it could have been a bit smarter in the delivery and mistery. I solved the case with my first guess and was just waiting on way they would piece it out. So maybe they should have been more misterious with their mistery
MichaelObeNov 12, 2017
The Kenneth Branagh's version of the classic Agatha Christie's detective is not necessary, isn't it? The Film with script like this and with cast like this (Depp, Dench, Pfeiffer, Dafoe, Gad...) could make any movie better or at leastThe Kenneth Branagh's version of the classic Agatha Christie's detective is not necessary, isn't it? The Film with script like this and with cast like this (Depp, Dench, Pfeiffer, Dafoe, Gad...) could make any movie better or at least stronger. But, instead of working with actors, Branagh is drunk on attention himself (and his mustache). As a result, film is not good as it could be, is not mysterious as a version of 1974 with Bergman and Finney and is not fresh as Branagh wanted to. Expand
GinaKNov 13, 2017
I was extremely disappointed with this film. It is not that Branaugh can’t direct. See his “Dead Again” for a film that is both interesting and original. His adaptations of Shakespeare are interesting too. So what went wrong here? As I wasI was extremely disappointed with this film. It is not that Branaugh can’t direct. See his “Dead Again” for a film that is both interesting and original. His adaptations of Shakespeare are interesting too. So what went wrong here? As I was sitting in the theater, bored to tears, I decided that the first problem was the script, which was incredibly bad. The second problem was an inconsistent style. Branaugh wanted to be “modern,” but he just ended up with an irritating and dull film. Too many of the male characters looked alike, which does not help in a film that has to juggle so many characters and make them distinct. So much acting talent wasted, including Judi Dench! If you want to see a great version of this Christie story, dig up Sidney Lumet’s stylish film where every actor gets to shine and the plot is always coherent, no matter how complicated. Lumet also understood the glamour of the Orient Express, and Albert Finney is fantastic as Poirot. Another interesting adaptation, although darker, is the British television version with David Suchet. I went to this Branaugh film with high expectations and was totally disappointed. Expand
ledaumasNov 13, 2017
We loved it! It had the same plot as the previous film (of course...) with much better scenery and sets. That says a lot since the previous film was nominated for being a pretty movie (costumes, sets, etc.). What we really liked, which mightWe loved it! It had the same plot as the previous film (of course...) with much better scenery and sets. That says a lot since the previous film was nominated for being a pretty movie (costumes, sets, etc.). What we really liked, which might not be popular, is that the tempo was like the old black and white movies, but in color. Every word and action had a purpose. They don’t make movies like this anymore. For us, it was wonderful. We were not overwhelmed with a lot of physical action. Instead, this movie was cerebral which can often be more exciting. Expand
shpostalNov 10, 2017
Yet another remake of an already classic movie and Agatha Christie murder mystery, the new version of "Murder On The Orient Express" is actually not bad, if it isn't terribly original or mind blowing. But hey, it is a "whodunit", andYet another remake of an already classic movie and Agatha Christie murder mystery, the new version of "Murder On The Orient Express" is actually not bad, if it isn't terribly original or mind blowing. But hey, it is a "whodunit", and without the usual ultra violent gore that goes into most movies involving murderers and gangster types. That makes it kinda fun if you're not familiar with the original film and book, which I was not. Director Kenneth Branagh also stars as the irrepressible detective Hercule Poirot, very self assured without being cocky, intelligent and very polite. I can't help but notice that people overall at least in this country are getting more and more selfish and rude in public - I doubt people younger than 45 or so even know what good manners even are. So we get this gentleman on board the famous Orient Express bound from Istanbul to Calais, France and then by ferry to merry old England. The scenery is breathtaking, and I hope it was shot on location, because I would be disappointed to see computer imagery taking over everything. The cast includes Johnny Depp, the nasty bad guy, Michelle Pfieffer and Judy Dench among others all in the confines of a train that is halted due to an avalanche that derails the locomotive and forces them to wait for crews to come out to their location and dig them out. It's during this wait that the mystery unfolds, Poirot assuming charge to find out who murdered one of the other characters and put all the pieces of an interesting puzzle together. Branagh is the true star of the show, his two layered mustache twitching along as he interviews suspects and tries to solve the crime. It is refreshing to see an old style mystery that is focused much more on characters, motives and a much more cerebral approach instead of the normal crime movies we see nowadays, even if it's a re-make. "Murder On The Orient Express" is not a cinematic masterpiece, nor does it get too heavy handed for its own good. Rather, it's a plot that is entertaining to follow and try to figure out, and a movie not hard to enjoy but still having a certain amount of class and spectacular scenery I assume are the Alps or the Balkans. It's a nice way to spend a couple hours on an old tried and true formula that works because of the cast and a careful script. Expand
PezGodNov 27, 2017
I have actually never written a review for a movie before, but I was compelled to do so after watching this atrocious film. There were actually no redeeming qualities for me at all and this has to be one of the worst movies I have ever hadI have actually never written a review for a movie before, but I was compelled to do so after watching this atrocious film. There were actually no redeeming qualities for me at all and this has to be one of the worst movies I have ever had the unfortunate opportunities see. How this movie ever made it to theaters is amazing. The dialog is horrible (the actors did their best, but the story is just garbage). The 'mystery' was so obvious that there was no point in even watching to the end (although we did.....I was with my girlfriend and I wanted to leave the movie, but I was worried she was into it...turns out she wanted to leave too but thought I was enjoying it as well). Don't waste your money, I can't believe this movie has as many positive reviews as it does... Expand
EpicLadySpongeNov 10, 2017
What makes this mystery with a twist end up losing its twist halfway through the film is how the film begins to struggle apart when the film gets to the halfway point. Regardless, Murder on the Orient Express at least tries to become what itWhat makes this mystery with a twist end up losing its twist halfway through the film is how the film begins to struggle apart when the film gets to the halfway point. Regardless, Murder on the Orient Express at least tries to become what it wants to be. Maybe if it had more pressure built to it, it may become what it wants to be. Expand
gemini0577Nov 17, 2017
Kenneth Branagh turns in a wonderfully eccentric performance as the famous detective that reluctantly gets caught up in a challenging murder mystery. What works for the film? The beautiful camera work and sweeping set pieces, the actors, andKenneth Branagh turns in a wonderfully eccentric performance as the famous detective that reluctantly gets caught up in a challenging murder mystery. What works for the film? The beautiful camera work and sweeping set pieces, the actors, and the plot. What works against the film? It seems there were a bit too many characters that weren't fully developed which kind of dampened the impact of the big reveal. Also a flaw was that the climactic moment leading up to the big reveal felt off tonally, the show down seeing just a bit forced. Also a flaw was the film's opening set piece, a mystery of theft that sets the tone (misdirection) of the rest of the film. It simply seemed a bit out of place. The big reveal features some truly inspired acting, leaving a strong, effective aftertaste as the credits roll. Its a nice, twisted gem of a mystery. Expand
NikolayGMar 1, 2018
I'm conflicted about this movie. First - On the one hand, it is beautiful to look at, on the other hand, most of the external shots (though each one is brief) look pretty but also fake, like they are mostly or entirely computer generated orI'm conflicted about this movie. First - On the one hand, it is beautiful to look at, on the other hand, most of the external shots (though each one is brief) look pretty but also fake, like they are mostly or entirely computer generated or painted or something, but certainly not 100% actual shots of trains passing through scenery. There's a Harry Potter-esque look to it all. Second - Poirot does not look like Poirot as described in the books. But whatever. I can get over that. If it was Sherlock Holmes I'd have a harder time accepting such a different appearance, but I'm not nearly as accustomed to seeing Poirot portrayed on screen so it didn't bother me much. Third - There MANY CHANGES to the story in the book. Most of these changes are for the purpose of adding short moments of mindless action to the movie. I did not appreciate them. However, one large change at the end really did add more drama in a good way, though the change strained credibility. Fourth, I always found the book a little confusing regarding who was whom. It didn't do the best job of keeping everything straight. You needed a pad of paper and pen to make a list or chart as you read, at least I did. The movie is far better at being clear in this way; maybe that's just the natural result of seeing actual faces put to each character. The movie also revealed the solution to the mystery in a way that was more appropriate. The book felt rushed at the end. The movie, by devoting a greater proportion of its overall time to setting out the solution, and by dramatizing the crime being committed on screen as Poirot explained it, did a better job with this final part of the story. On the whole, I suspect the older movie version (which I saw ages ago) is more true to the Agatha Christie's novel, but this version does have its improvements, sprinkled among its misguided action bits. Expand
eagleeyevikingFeb 14, 2018
Terrifically paced, well acted, lusciously shot, and true to its source material, the 2017 remake of "Murder on the Orient Express" is a ride worth taking. 7.5/10
2morovianMar 18, 2018
The first film I've seen that convinced me the director was actually trying to make an unwatchable film. When someone who feels that they are "creative"...an actor/director who manages to produce something this bad, they really need to beThe first film I've seen that convinced me the director was actually trying to make an unwatchable film. When someone who feels that they are "creative"...an actor/director who manages to produce something this bad, they really need to be arrested and later invited to study plumbing. Expand
BullishNov 20, 2017
Having just read the book, it was hard not to be impressed by how closely this adaptation followed its source material. And like many books to film adaptations, I found myself disliking all the scenes that were only in the movie. As for theHaving just read the book, it was hard not to be impressed by how closely this adaptation followed its source material. And like many books to film adaptations, I found myself disliking all the scenes that were only in the movie. As for the overall story, it is a strange one that becomes awfully too convenient about 65% through, and there are many assumptions by Poirot that may seem as a reach (but that was how it was written).

+ Appreciated how closely the film followed the book
+ Strong performances, especially Branagh

- the "reaches"
- the film-only scenes Final Score: 65%
mrharrybeckDec 27, 2017
Dame Judi Dench's performance is the best part about this mysterious trip. Though what's much more than obvious and profoundly predictable is the killer's identity.
whoischarlotteNov 16, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like murder mystery films, and I really liked this one. I had low expectations going in so I was very impressed with the overall film. Brannagh stole the show though, his performance was amazing. In a way it felt like the film was more about him, while the other characters were in the background. Expand
GeraltRNov 25, 2017
This movie is an at most mediocre remake of the renowned novel by Agatha Christie.
It fails to reproduce the well-executed suspension in the original novel and does not illustrate how Poirot proceed to solve the mystery. As a result, the revelation scene fall flat and is very unconvincing. (It is not clear why Poirt's inference has to be the case.)

I feel that this film could be better if it has focused more on the plot itself rather than adding unnecessary action scenes.
movieman56Nov 17, 2017
Really, they should call this movie "Everyone Really Hates Johnny Depp" (you'll get it after watching the movie).
The Orient Express runs like your typical murder-mystery movie. A detective meets a group of people with different personalities, then someone gets murdered, and it's up to the detective to find out. The detective in name being Kenneth Branagh, who plays as the famous detective Hercules Poirot. There's also an all-star class including Johnny Depp, Judi Drench, Josh Gad, Daisy Ridley, and many more.
Now, here's where the movie goes wrong.
If it wasn't for the great cast, I'd give this movie a 5, because the story is just..ech. It's boring, and doesn't really give us any clues of who the murderer is until towards the end. And the CGI train and snow doesn't help much either. It's not bad, it's just boring, like I said.
But the cast, the cast is just magnificent. Kenneth has never played such a badass role before as a Detective you never want to be on your case. The other cast members play great as well, Tom Bateman as the owner of the train, Buoc, who isn't shy of the fact that he is a dirty shell of a human being. Daisy Ridley plays as the Governess Mary Debenham, a refreshing sight to see free the actress. And of course, Johnny Depp as Ratchett, a disgruntled American Businessman who's smoked one too many cigarettes. While the Orient Express may not have a great story, it's the cast that steals the show.
CTHReviewsMar 14, 2018
I really enjoyed this film. Is it in the top 10 best movies of the year? No, not for me. But I thought it was an interesting mystery, the cast is a match made in heaven, and Kenneth Branagh's direction comes across as very smooth and calming.
OdinsMovieBlogFeb 19, 2018
I'm amazed at how much hate this film is getting. The fact that even Johnny Depp gives a good performance in this film tells you that this film is actually pretty good. I am very excited to see what Kenneth Branagh does with his franchise inI'm amazed at how much hate this film is getting. The fact that even Johnny Depp gives a good performance in this film tells you that this film is actually pretty good. I am very excited to see what Kenneth Branagh does with his franchise in the future. Expand
blapapMar 6, 2018
Interesting crime story not only for Agatha Christie fans. Pleasant to watch.
LynNov 28, 2017
This is a good movie to go see with your elderly mother. (Hey, it's the holidays.) There's gorgeous scenery and costumes, some wonderful actors, and a mystery -- at least, if Mom doesn't recall whodunnit from the book or the 1974 film). As aThis is a good movie to go see with your elderly mother. (Hey, it's the holidays.) There's gorgeous scenery and costumes, some wonderful actors, and a mystery -- at least, if Mom doesn't recall whodunnit from the book or the 1974 film). As a nonfan of Agatha Christie, I enjoyed it despite what to me is a ridiculous ending. It could have used more humor, although Branagh's mustache has some amusing scenes. Expand
StevieGJDNov 25, 2017
This movie actually made me sad. There are very good actors in it and they are all fine in the film. There are many well framed and beautifully composed shots. The art direction and the costumes are lovely. I like Kenneth Branagh's PoirotThis movie actually made me sad. There are very good actors in it and they are all fine in the film. There are many well framed and beautifully composed shots. The art direction and the costumes are lovely. I like Kenneth Branagh's Poirot far more than the Albert Finney version in the earlier film adaptation of this book. There clearly was money spent on it and effort put into it. But at the end of the day, it is just a meaningless distraction. It is neither challenging nor inspiring. It is neither fun nor suspenseful. It is just there. With all the talent, money and effort behind this film, that is sad. Expand
TheQuietGamerMay 4, 2018
A parade of stars and beautifully directed. Kenneth Branagh brings murder-mystery back to the screens. I just wish he could have done so with a more interesting pace. Things can be a slow drag. Especially at the beginning. I also felt I neverA parade of stars and beautifully directed. Kenneth Branagh brings murder-mystery back to the screens. I just wish he could have done so with a more interesting pace. Things can be a slow drag. Especially at the beginning. I also felt I never spent enough time with everybody on the Orient Express. Some potential suspects get hardly any screen-time. Mix that in with how poorly developed everyone is and it never feels like you're given all the pieces Poirot is seeing. A really good film of this nature would allow you to play detective right alongside the protagonist. Unfortunately it feels like there are too many faces and not enough running time to interrogate them all.

Despite this I enjoyed my time with the film. It's got a great sense of humor, decent payoff, and a wonderfully quirky detective. I wanted to learn more about Poirot and his backstory. This movie didn't teach me too much about him so I hope the character returns to the screen in the future with a sequel or prequel. It's also just so novel to see a movie like this these days. A shame as they used to be so much more frequent. Did I mention it's very pretty as well? Then there's the number of big names in the ensemble cast to gawk over (Michelle Pfeiffer has still got it).
MikefromAngusMar 19, 2018
boring , uninteresting, with awful CGI. One of the worst movies of 2017. I wondered why I never head about this movie when it was in theaters. Now I know why. its terrible!
EludiumQ36Mar 21, 2018
This is a throwback to "old Hollywood" featuring mostly B-caliber has-been celebs playing dress-up in period wear. The plot is mostly predictable due to its formulaic layout. The rather unusual murderer reveal violates all guidelines forThis is a throwback to "old Hollywood" featuring mostly B-caliber has-been celebs playing dress-up in period wear. The plot is mostly predictable due to its formulaic layout. The rather unusual murderer reveal violates all guidelines for plausibility so you could legitimately complain this film wasted your time. Finally, this film takes a stand on the question of "Is it a crime to murder a murderer?" It's a production of a rabidly liberal Hollywood so you know their answer to the question already. Expand
GreatMartinNov 15, 2017
When was the last time you saw a remake that was better than the original? Long time, if ever, right? “Murder on the Orient Express”, which opened last week, is a remake of the same film, based on Agatha Christie’s book, that was made inWhen was the last time you saw a remake that was better than the original? Long time, if ever, right? “Murder on the Orient Express”, which opened last week, is a remake of the same film, based on Agatha Christie’s book, that was made in 1974 and directed by Sidney Lumet. This new rendition is directed by Kenneth Branagh who also stars in the film along with his elaborate mustache.

Both versions have an all star cast and which is more famous will be in the eyes of the viewer. Ingrid Bergman won a best supporting Oscar for her role which she thought, and expressed, as a mistake. With the exception of Branagh, and that mustache, the only one who has a chance to show off is Michelle Pfeiffer and, by the way, stay for the end credits to hear her sing. Judi Dench is wasted in what is more of a cameo than a supporting role. Also in the film are Penelope Cruz, Johnny Depp, Derek Jacobi, William Dafoe along with newer names such as Daisy Ridley, Olivia Colman and Leslie Odom Jr., none really shining but none embarrassing themselves.

The main difference, to me, is that the scenery in the latest version is plusher, visually breathtaking whether shot on location or in a studio.

The ‘hook’ of “Murder on the Orient Express” is the solution to the crime that takes place which, at points, can be confusing but the major point of who did it, and why, is obvious enough.

There is nothing wrong with this 2017 version with the hour and fifty-four going by at a relaxing time and the sets, costumes, lighting and all of the production aspects are first rate. The question is whether this was really worth a remake and if you should pay to see it or watch the 1974 version for free on youtube.
keemtNov 26, 2017
This is a great movie. It may not be enjoyable for everybody, but it is great. It was a relentless investigation and logical inquiry, that ends with amazing music and scenery that equal the greatness of the ideas the protagonist must dealThis is a great movie. It may not be enjoyable for everybody, but it is great. It was a relentless investigation and logical inquiry, that ends with amazing music and scenery that equal the greatness of the ideas the protagonist must deal with before he leaves the train and re-enters society. This was a movie that could have easily never been made, and was risky to make because it is complex throughout, and in this sense it was a huge gift from the creators who would have made money creating a senseless action film. Expand
SueBlueSueDec 14, 2017
I read a lot of Agatha Christie as a kid and am re-reading some now. I had read Murder on the Orient Express again about a month before seeing the film so it was fresh. I loved the film. Loved Everything about it, especially theI read a lot of Agatha Christie as a kid and am re-reading some now. I had read Murder on the Orient Express again about a month before seeing the film so it was fresh. I loved the film. Loved Everything about it, especially the cinematography. I don't understand the mixed reviews. Expand
RalfbergsMar 4, 2018
This movie has great acting and it feels like it will be really interesting, but in the end you feel like it lacked something, especially as I enjoyed previous depictions of this story and watched many different series with Agatha Christie'sThis movie has great acting and it feels like it will be really interesting, but in the end you feel like it lacked something, especially as I enjoyed previous depictions of this story and watched many different series with Agatha Christie's favorite detective. I don't know, but I felt like it wasn't as good as it needed to be, while it still was good, weird, but this is my opinion. Expand
CineAutoctonoNov 12, 2017
"Murder on the Orient Express" was a good movie, the characters, the photography, the decorations and above all, the Hercule Poirot character was fascinating, but the story is a bit slow and confusing, you see it, and you do not understand"Murder on the Orient Express" was a good movie, the characters, the photography, the decorations and above all, the Hercule Poirot character was fascinating, but the story is a bit slow and confusing, you see it, and you do not understand what happen, you have to go deeper into the characters to complete a puzzle of 1000 pieces, and you would take a whole year, wasting your life in solving it, and in some characters, we did not see its origins, but the ending was beautiful and moving. Expand
andre27May 31, 2018
Filme bem construído e engraçado com personagens bem engraçadas e que dão ao trama um trajecto interessante , em que ficas empolgado para descobrir quem é o verdadeiro assassino.
MatthewENov 14, 2017
With such a superb cast and powerful scenes, I guess this film should have had me enthralled. And indeed, the visuals were spectacular. But I did not find it very edifying. I do not really like "whodunnit" mysteries in the first place, andWith such a superb cast and powerful scenes, I guess this film should have had me enthralled. And indeed, the visuals were spectacular. But I did not find it very edifying. I do not really like "whodunnit" mysteries in the first place, and the premise of this one is particularly revolting. I will stop there to avoid giving the reader any unwanted hints. Expand
EikoxDec 15, 2017
Every critic says that is an adaptation of an old movie. And no! is a new adaptation of the book for f*** sake.
Is a good escenery, the cast is acceptable and if well maybe dont create a great environment of suspense, brings light to the people that never read Agatha Christie and invited to read the books.
Is another good adaptation of a great book.
SrPepeFeb 16, 2018
Tiene un comienzo aburrido y poco atrapante pero mediante se va resolviendo el crimen la calidad de la peli aumenta. Gran escenografía y producción sumados a una excelente actuación, esta peli te deja un gusto a lo que puso haber sido.
trentqMar 18, 2018
It was ok, not really that engaging or entertaining for that matter. The story and characters seem very underdeveloped and then the reveal is not really delivered in a pleasing way. I couldn't really connect with the characters or why IIt was ok, not really that engaging or entertaining for that matter. The story and characters seem very underdeveloped and then the reveal is not really delivered in a pleasing way. I couldn't really connect with the characters or why I should really care about the story at all. So overall it a bit meh and sometimes confusing. I wish it played out like a more typical murder-mystery, but instead it's just a bit boring. Also the final scene is a bit of an eye-roll. Expand
Muskrat147Nov 14, 2017
A blatant misfire if there ever was one, Murder on the Orient Express largely disappointed. If it wasn’t for the clever marketing campaign, or the fact that Branagh was helming and starring in the lead role, I wouldn’t of been as excited as IA blatant misfire if there ever was one, Murder on the Orient Express largely disappointed. If it wasn’t for the clever marketing campaign, or the fact that Branagh was helming and starring in the lead role, I wouldn’t of been as excited as I was for this film. The story is there, the performances (which are pretty great) are there, but the characterization of each subject on the infamous train is quite dull. Many characters feel as if they are simply there in the background, and this didn’t help the “mystery” aspect that the story focuses around. The camerawork was somewhat distracting, and didn’t add anything to the film overall. What it did add was proof that Express suffers heavily from the “style over substance” syndrome, which doesn’t make it bad, but keeps it from being great. Murder on the Orient Express is fine entertainment, and can provide mild thrills; but, if you are looking for something with more of a “gut”, you won’t miss much if you skip. Expand
CarFan1999Jan 31, 2018
Murder On The Orient Express is directed by Kenneth Branagh and stars Kenneth Branagh as world-famous detective Hercule Poirot. As this story is based on a famous book, some of you might know the story already. For those who don't, the storyMurder On The Orient Express is directed by Kenneth Branagh and stars Kenneth Branagh as world-famous detective Hercule Poirot. As this story is based on a famous book, some of you might know the story already. For those who don't, the story revolves around Poirot as he travels on The Orient Express, a luxurious European passenger train in 1934. After a murder occurs onboard the train, it's up to him to solve the crime and find out who did it. The other passengers are played by Willem Dafoe, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Josh Gad, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Daisy Ridley, among others. As someone who never read the book, I went into this knowing nothing.

The story is great, for which I give more credit to original author Agatha Christie than screenwriter Michael Green. Branagh, the star and director does a great job in both areas. His character is rather witty, but also serious. The pacing of this is near-perfect and the mystery aspect both is well done and surprisingly emotional. It also has an old-school feel to it. The story doesn't feel modernized at all and the sets, as well as the costumes are beautiful to look at. The cinematography was well- done as well and was actually shot on film, not digitally. It all adds up to very good, old-fashioned Hollywood movie.

However, I would've liked if the film focused a little bit more on the other characters and not Poirot. The tone is also uneven. The 1st act is almost a witty comedy, but it abruptly changes to a serious drama after the murder. In addition, while the sets are great, the backgrounds are mostly computer-generated and they simply look very fake.

But on the whole, this is an enjoyable mystery with good directing, good performances, and beautiful set pieces. It also has a nice, old-fashioned feel. If you miss the way Hollywood made movies back then, then you'll appreciate this.
alejandro970Nov 19, 2017
Finding so many fat cats in the cast develops assorted expectations. The story based on a classic is a sort of delicacy you shall eat slowly for find the flavor. It cloud be better if not for the plot comes fatigued before the finish line.Finding so many fat cats in the cast develops assorted expectations. The story based on a classic is a sort of delicacy you shall eat slowly for find the flavor. It cloud be better if not for the plot comes fatigued before the finish line. However, deserves a chance. Expand
eva3si0nMay 2, 2018
The movie has 2 details because of which it it is possible to look: cast and Agatha Christie's history. On it everything comes to an end, the plot is known and at once clear who is involved in murder, there is no suspense at all. In theThe movie has 2 details because of which it it is possible to look: cast and Agatha Christie's history. On it everything comes to an end, the plot is known and at once clear who is involved in murder, there is no suspense at all. In the general cinema on once if there is nothing to look. And action of the movie is a little tightened. Expand
Creeper3455Dec 2, 2017
Well,that was both expected and surprising at the same time...
Well,that was both expected and surprising at the same time...
If you don't know,I don't have that much of a passion for book-based adaptations and i'm not really one with the Crime and Mystery genre,but Murder On The Orient Express,while being sometimes generic,managed to surprise me at some point.
As you might know,this movie is directed by Kenneth Branagh (the same director of Thor and 2015's Cinderella) and,once again,shines in the directing chair. I loved the way the movie was shot,as well as him being the famous Hercule Poirot. And it was refreshing to see Johnny Depp in a decent role,as well as Josh Gad.
However,that doesn't stop the fact that it may feel sometimes choppy from a story perspective. The music (composed by The Emoji Movie's Patrick Doyle,poor guy...) and the cinematography make this movie look beautiful,but it could've been better if they got some things right during Act 2,since they try to make the movie somewhat emotional (thing that was better-made during Act 3) and they try to give their "A+" cast a bit of screentime. Also,sidenote,the Visual Effects were surprisingly noticeable throughout most of the scenes,even if it's not "Steppenwolf" levels of bad. What can I say,it's tollerable,but because of that 2nd Act,it could've improved upon certain things,but I was still okay with the material I sat through. Sure,the pacing and the score are nice (some of the acting too),but the story is so somewhat choppy that quite often makes it look like a soap opera. Or maybe it's just me not really beng into the Mystery genre,i don't know...
VirgonoShakaMar 24, 2018
This movie is really nothing unique per se, just a vast collection of some big name Hollywood actors and a adaptation of a known book. With that said, it's not bad at all. Most of the acting is good, and the book is adapted well enough, withThis movie is really nothing unique per se, just a vast collection of some big name Hollywood actors and a adaptation of a known book. With that said, it's not bad at all. Most of the acting is good, and the book is adapted well enough, with some good music and moments in the mix. If you like the actors, or a good mystery, give it a check, you won't regret it; but if this type of movie is not your style, give it a pass. Expand
Davrosdaleks1Apr 8, 2018
There are some people who love this and some who hate this. I'm the former.

There are some people who love this and some who hate this. I'm the former.

I admit the plot isn't perfect. There is some difficulty juggling all the characters, some of Poirot's deductions seem more like very lucky guesswork, and not enough info. is given for the audience to look back and say they could have figured the movie out. Still, the movie was still very entertaining to me. Yes, the original movie was far better plotted and made more sense. However, it was very slow-paced. This one is far more breezy and entertaining.

Visually, the film looks great containing vintage-looking sets and costumes with bright lighting and colors. Music and some creative camera work really set the mood. Stick around for the end credits. There's a very good song there. What the script lacks in plotting, it makes up with good dialogue, both the funny and dramatic variety.

The acting's all top notch, which is to be expected from such an all-star cast. Unfortunately, what with there being so many characters, not all of them get the chance so shine as brightly as others. Still Michelle Pfeiffer, Josh Gad, and Willem Dafoe all have some great scenes.

As for Kenneth Branagh, I really liked him in the role as Hercule Poirot. It isn't easy for a mainstream film these days to star an eccentric middle-aged guy who isn't action-oriented, but Brannagh pulls it off. He plays Poirot's many moods quite well. He's at times comically eccentric, a serious fighter of crime, rude, or extremely likable. If you don't have the patience for following a mystery and drama, this movie isn't for you. But, I highly recommend this to everyone else.
MatthewAkalusiNov 20, 2017
This is a remake of one of crime novelist, Agatha Christie's classic murder mysteries. Kenneth Branagh directs the movie and stars as Belgian private detective, Hercule Poirot, a recurring character in several of Christie's novels, whoThis is a remake of one of crime novelist, Agatha Christie's classic murder mysteries. Kenneth Branagh directs the movie and stars as Belgian private detective, Hercule Poirot, a recurring character in several of Christie's novels, who travels the world solving knotty crimes. What starts out as another train ride for Poirot on the luxurious Orient Express from Istanbul headed for London, turns out to be anything but that when a passenger is murdered. Poirot is invited by the owner of the train, whose guest he is, to investigate and solve the murder. The investigation is complicated by the fact that more than one of the remaining passengers had reason to be unhappy with the murdered passenger. The movie which stars an ensemble cast culminates in Poirot unraveling the case and things subsequently taking an unexpected turn. The prologue and build up do seem sluggish but once the murder occurs and the investigation begins, the movie becomes engaging up till its conclusion, complemented by Jim Clay’s production design which gives it a realistic 1930s look. A very good period drama. Expand
mrdr4gonNov 15, 2017
The visuals are gorgeous and the acting is decent for the most part, but there are many other problems that hinder this film, most notably from the underwritten script and the rather haphazard handling on the murder itself. It's entertaining,The visuals are gorgeous and the acting is decent for the most part, but there are many other problems that hinder this film, most notably from the underwritten script and the rather haphazard handling on the murder itself. It's entertaining, but a little underwhelming. A decent but average film. Expand
ViniciusBritoMar 31, 2018
The movie is based on a book, that tells the story of a investigation that happened in a train, when everybody is a suspect. During a trip, that one of the best detectives of the world is in, a murder occur, then for innocent not get guilty,The movie is based on a book, that tells the story of a investigation that happened in a train, when everybody is a suspect. During a trip, that one of the best detectives of the world is in, a murder occur, then for innocent not get guilty, he decides to solve it.
The plot is very well made, how they introduced all the characters and made sure for you to know at least a little about them all is a very good choice for the storytelling, after the murder every single one of the passengers of the train are interrogated by Hercule Poirot, the detective, and there you can get who is lying, the pieces start getting together, you can make your guesses on who probably did it, what happend and it never gets to obvious and easy, at least until the very end.
The cast for this movie draws attention, a lot of big actors having samll roles but all much well done, deserving a greater prominence we have Kenneth Branagh, interpreting the great detective and full of quirks Hercule Poirot, he convinces us that he really know what he is doing and talking about, he did a eye job that is always alive it's always moving and detecting, also how uncomfortable he get when he sees something ou of pattern, it never gets forced or ugly, all works with his character, the way that he did portrayed before the murder and after is very different, changing his aspects and getting much more serious, great job. Johnny Depp is very functional, he pass the idea of fear and menacing at the same time, his expressions aren't all forced like what he does generally, i liked. Daisy Ridley very much, doing a kind and smart woman, she can convince you and have the necessary expression to say to us what the character doesn't want to. Michelle Pfeiffer, William Dafoe, Josh Gad, Judi Dench and Penélope Cruz, all of them can pass emotions withe her eyes, expressions tons of voice, they all did a pretty good job.
They decided to fill the train with archetypes, you have a bunch of stars in hollywood interpreting stereotyped classes, and that worked because you really felt that the train had life, that actually was people and different peoples there, that talked in their particular way, giving dynamics.
One of the bests things about the movie, besides the cast, is the cinematopgrahy, it's phenomenal, i loved watching the movie much because of what i was seing, it is beautiful, the image composition is aways telling something. Are moments when some person face is filmed, and the reflexion shows 2 faces, simbolizing that the person have a duality, that is hiding something, in some moments show 3 faces, indicating the same thing. It does contains an amount of longs takes that plays with the cameras and make you really understand how it is inside of the train, crating a great experience in such a small space, having creative framework, showing things that normally wouldn't have how do it because of the small place. There is one specifically that follows the characters from outside to inside of the train, it is beautiful and wiht mean. Also have some Dutch angles, to show that something is confused there. It's perfect in technical aspects.
The sound mixer, that outside of the train is one, inside is other, is more suppressed. Soundtrack is very quiet and for some moments it's different in a way that does trick us, implicating something that isn't, very caricature.
The montage for the movie didn't worked all the time, many sudden breaks happend, some scenes felt that had something missing, some scene for a transition or something like that.
For me the movie worked out very well, combining two different stories into one, everything maked sense at the end, and for me almost nothings was out of place, i can't say that it was perfect, but is really a memorable investigation thriller, one of the most positive points of the movie is that you can understand every sides of the story, it will not be like everybody saying that this should happen or that, people can really get divided with it, the killer kills a killer story. Visually stunning, a strong cast and a good mystery.
DuongHuuPhucDec 5, 2017
This new version of the one released in 1974 is still have the same attractive, but with better technologies for image and sound. Although Johnny Depp did end his role soon, he completely showed off the feeling of Ratchett that scared to death.
jacoobi456Nov 12, 2017
I personally don't know why the ratings are so low:

I personally don't know why the ratings are so low:

Visually, this film is incredible. The mountain on which the movie takes place and the actual train track was built especially for this film, and all of the cinematography is stunning. Plenty of different camera angles and length of scenes help keep the feel of the movie very claustrophobic and the costume design helps keep the rustic feel of the film, which was very refreshing and nice to see, as murder mysteries are quite rare in cinemas nowadays, especially 20th centruy ones. The acting in this movie was amazing, if the 2 Academy Award winners and 4 other nominees didn't tell you that already. Brannagh is incredible as Poirot, he really owns the scenes he's in and I must add his accent was very, very good. The plot was investing, and there was much that Poirot knew that you didn't; you learn the info as he does, however he might just put it together a but quicker :P. Speaking of Brannagh, he directed this movie excellently, and it felt like you were 'watching the book'? If that makes sense?

As for flaws, sometimes the tone of the movie wasn't fully understood and got a bit confusing, as the comedy present meddled with the serious and grave tone of the film as a whole. All in all though, definitely check this one out while it's in the cinema!
chicconate95Dec 7, 2017
Murder on the Orient Express is one of the most famous yellow books in the world. This movie is really good, with the correct mix of suspace, mistery and relax times. Amazing cast, amazing story and a little bit of madness...
rosanneramajNov 21, 2017
This a classic example of a thriller and mystery movie combined. The film is a bit hard to follow. This sums up my review of the film in one word:"Baffled"
naniinNov 16, 2017
"Убийство в Восточном экспрессе" - красивый фильм. Но в фильме ничего нового, все как в книге. Уже было куча экранизации, не понимаю зачем было делать ещё одну? Фильм красивый по визуалу, отличный подбор актёров, усы Пуаро классные. Но вот"Убийство в Восточном экспрессе" - красивый фильм. Но в фильме ничего нового, все как в книге. Уже было куча экранизации, не понимаю зачем было делать ещё одну? Фильм красивый по визуалу, отличный подбор актёров, усы Пуаро классные. Но вот все как то искусственно,
те кто не читал книгу, могут уже угадать кто убийца на середине фильма.
joeycristoNov 19, 2017
This movie can definitely feel slow at points and is extremely dialogue heavy...however, the characters and plot are extremely intricate and definitely the savior of this movie.
AndreaMonetDogsNov 24, 2017
i love me some train action. toot toot. mix in some murder and i have a bacon chocolate sunday. this movie has everything. thrills. mystery. suspense. #andreamonet ftw
BuldurzDec 2, 2017
I am a big fan of Agatha Christie and i feel like i can never get enough of detective fiction.I didn't watch the previous Murder On The Orient Express movies but i read the book so i went to this movie without influences of previous movies.SoI am a big fan of Agatha Christie and i feel like i can never get enough of detective fiction.I didn't watch the previous Murder On The Orient Express movies but i read the book so i went to this movie without influences of previous movies.So i just want to get this out of the way.Casting is superb.Ok!Now i enjoyed the movie is lighthearted at sometimes and intense and full of mystery on other times.Now this adds some different flouver to tone but it also creates inconsistency.I went to this movie to feel expecting rising tension and danger but it starts with in a very lighttone and in funny way.I said this is great too but it has change in tone at diffent times disturbed me.If you enjoy this kind of consistency it is perfect for you but to me it felt like it would have been far more great if movie had only focused on one tone. Expand
CinefluxFeb 27, 2018
Great movie, a new dynamic adaptation of the book rather than a remake of old movies.
JohnvincentDec 21, 2017
Yes it could have been better. No it was not the original movie. No it could not have been filmed in a better locations. It was definitely a move to watch on the big screen.
tamcwlmmDec 25, 2017
'Murder on the Oriënt Express' is certainly not the worst detective movie i've seen, but certainly not the best as well. Half of the movie is just Hercule Poirot (Kenneth Branagh) staring in the distance, interogation or Penelope Cruz talking'Murder on the Oriënt Express' is certainly not the worst detective movie i've seen, but certainly not the best as well. Half of the movie is just Hercule Poirot (Kenneth Branagh) staring in the distance, interogation or Penelope Cruz talking why she doesn't drink and how she will fall just like Lucifer. The movie also tries humor, but got it all wrong.
The movie is based on coincidence and fails to connect all the dots. The acting was certainly not bad, we got some great performances by Kenneth Branagh, Daisy Ridley, Johhny Depp and Judi Dench. In general the movie was a big 'MEH'
DelayedReviewsJan 9, 2018
Nice setup, cheap looking CGI, cheesy ending.
Overall, a chock-full of mediocrity.
amheretojudgeJan 16, 2018
it is the imbalance..

Murder On The Orient Express Implanting scattered ideas or tricks with some witty lines and smart adaptation, Murder On The Orient Express is not completely palpable on its own atmosphere as Kenneth seems distracted
it is the imbalance..

Murder On The Orient Express

Implanting scattered ideas or tricks with some witty lines and smart adaptation, Murder On The Orient Express is not completely palpable on its own atmosphere as Kenneth seems distracted from the final conclusion
ndyinesJan 18, 2018
What an unexpected ending, initially I feel bored with this movie, apparently the ending wasn't disappointed. This story and plotline are insane.
tylerkellrFeb 4, 2018
Full Disclosure: I actually watched this many months ago at an early test screening, so my views don't necessarily reflect the final film, which I have not seen. In short - I thought the movie was a real mess. None of the actors seem toFull Disclosure: I actually watched this many months ago at an early test screening, so my views don't necessarily reflect the final film, which I have not seen. In short - I thought the movie was a real mess. None of the actors seem to want to be there (Josh Gad and Daisy Ridley in particular seem to rush through their lines with a certain sort of lazy eagerness). The pacing ebbs and flows, sometimes moving too fast for the admittedly-slightly-unengaged viewer to process, and other parts drag on for far too long with little consequence. The whole thing feels like a somewhat ill-advised passion project for Kenneth Branagh - a shame given that I'm typically an avid fan of his work. Expand
ArgentumartisFeb 18, 2018
If anyone saw the original film made in 1974, I'm sure they would have been insulted by this version. The acting was simply terrible as were most camera angles. Johnny Depp made a terrible Ratchett and I am convinced he must have been drunkIf anyone saw the original film made in 1974, I'm sure they would have been insulted by this version. The acting was simply terrible as were most camera angles. Johnny Depp made a terrible Ratchett and I am convinced he must have been drunk in most scenes as he was slurring his words. In the original, no one left the train until the murder was solved by Albert Finney (Hercule Poirot). I beg the director, Kenneth Branagh, please, please, please don't make a sequel Death on the Nile, because you could never top the best Hercule Poirots that's ever been on screen, Peter Ustinov. Expand
mattkerr494Apr 23, 2018
I often feel when Hollywood studios adapt acclaimed novels, particularly popular ones, that they are mocking me for having never read them - condescending in their attitude of "oh, well you've heard of it, but you've never actually READ it,I often feel when Hollywood studios adapt acclaimed novels, particularly popular ones, that they are mocking me for having never read them - condescending in their attitude of "oh, well you've heard of it, but you've never actually READ it, have you? Ah well isn't it so much easier to sit and watch the film now that we are releasing it anyway?"
Either way, as somebody with little to no knowledge of the source material, MOTOE is a fairly well directed, well executed, well acted by an all star cast (for better and for oh so much worse in the case of a certain actor whose name is nothing short of dirt right now) and has a twist that is fairly satisfying - that and I'm always a complete sucker for mystery/detective stories.
And as for the uncomfortable elephant in the room that everybody else seems to be addressing, yes Johnny Depp's uncomfortable personal life does affect my enjoyment of the film.

Watched April 16th 2018