Mutual Appreciation

6.1

1. JayC
    Oct 21, 2006
    As the director said, he prepared scenes, but they kind of let the "actors" decide. For a movie that relies so extensively on dialogue, this one seemed to be mostly uncommunicative. Confused, disconnected and pretty boring. Why would we care about these people's lives?
  2. MarkyMark
    Oct 18, 2006
    Boring. Characters uninteresting, and story dull. I just couldn't get myself to care about the characters or the movie. Kind of pretentious, like the movie thinks it is more interesting than it actually is, and so has tricked other people into thinking that too...
  3. JackJ
    Oct 24, 2006
    This movie was terrible. None of the characters are interesting, and the film is basically a bunch of awkward conversations with nervous people. I suppose reviewers are calling this the future of film because it's honest and tries to be realistic. But how is this film daring? There have been many films about twenty-somethings who feel lost and aren't sure where they're This movie was terrible. None of the characters are interesting, and the film is basically a bunch of awkward conversations with nervous people. I suppose reviewers are calling this the future of film because it's honest and tries to be realistic. But how is this film daring? There have been many films about twenty-somethings who feel lost and aren't sure where they're going in life, or why they're dating who they're dating, and so on and so forth, but often they're funnier, have wittier dialogue (which would be more realistic anyways if you're trying to capture twenty-something hipsters), and manage to have more highs and lows. This movie left me completely under whelmed. Basically, if I grabbed a camera and filmed my friends conversing and figuring out life, I'd have a much funnier, wittier, and touching movie. Expand
  4. GregMorabito
    Sep 14, 2006
    Like watching a hipster faucet drip for nearly two hours. Tedious.
  5. RogerB.
    Dec 17, 2006
    In one scene Ellie pulls down Lawrence's pant so Alan can see the mole on his ass that they are all discussing. When they showed a close up of his ass and Ellies face it look like boy and girl twins, both with warts. The most annoying movie I've ever seen. No redeming qualities.

One of Bujalski's gifts is his ability to give every part, no matter how big or small, a sense of intelligence and life that extends beyond the frame and running time, and in this his work recalls the best of both Mike Leigh and Richard Linklater.
  2. That's a knock on ­Bujalski -- that his characters exist in a vacuum, with few references to popular culture or politics or much of anything, really. Of course, one artist's vacuum is another's poetic distillation, and there's something about Mutual Appreciation (which is shot in an unassuming black and white) that spoke more directly to my inner slacker than any film since, well, "Funny Ha Ha."
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    If John Cassavetes had directed a script by Eric Rohmer, the result might have looked and sounded like Mutual Appreciation.