8.2

1. JayH.
    Feb 4, 2008
    I am not quite sure why the fuss over a relatively unknown architect, who apparently wasn't even that great. He is a fascinating character however, but hardly admirable. He was a selfish man as well as a semi-genius - in some ways. It is a well done documentary, it is certainly well researched. I am less than enthralled over the man or his work.
  2. KenL
    Aug 29, 2005
    An extremely interesting documentary by Louis Kahn's son. I really liked it. A story about a son trying to understand his father, with the backdrop of visiting most of his famous buildings. So, there are various themes -- the son's journey, the unusual life of Louis Kahn (and his three "families"), and the products of his work. A nice balance between interviews, vintage film of An extremely interesting documentary by Louis Kahn's son. I really liked it. A story about a son trying to understand his father, with the backdrop of visiting most of his famous buildings. So, there are various themes -- the son's journey, the unusual life of Louis Kahn (and his three "families"), and the products of his work. A nice balance between interviews, vintage film of Kahn, Nathaniel's journey and Kahn's buildings. Also, a good Q&A session with the director on the DVD. Expand
  3. KevinE.
    Mar 7, 2005
    I was surprised at how moved I was by this film. It works on so many levels, not the least of which is the teary-eyed appreciation shown by the beneficiary's of some of Kahn's great projects, like the Capital Complex in Bangladesh. I could watch smart, creative, thoughtful, complex, older people talk all day when they're as interesting as those shown by Nathaniel Kahn. A I was surprised at how moved I was by this film. It works on so many levels, not the least of which is the teary-eyed appreciation shown by the beneficiary's of some of Kahn's great projects, like the Capital Complex in Bangladesh. I could watch smart, creative, thoughtful, complex, older people talk all day when they're as interesting as those shown by Nathaniel Kahn. A completely lovely and loving film, throughout. Expand
  4. JonA.
    Mar 30, 2004
    A Fantastic Film~ one all should see and admire.
  5. PrestonF.
    Jan 24, 2004
    I was lucky enough to catch this wonderful film at its Baltimore debut. This is not to be missed!
  6. AnnS.
    Jan 20, 2004
    Beautiful, touching, i rarly am moved to the point of tears rolling down my checks as i watched these beautiful people being interviewed and espressing such tender feelings.
  7. LaineM.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Brilliant, unusal, bittersweet, documentary . Louis Kahn as a person came much closer.

1. Reviewed by: Joe Mader
    Tinged with sorrow, compassion, forgiveness and, ultimately, love. More than 25 years after his father's death, Nathaniel visits his father's architectural works and speaks to the people who knew him.
  2. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    This fascinating portrait of an eccentric visionary and his chaotic triple family life is an accomplished, enormously satisfying non-fiction work.
  3. The son's search is one of three strands of a story that the movie weaves into a meticulously structured portrait of a complicated man who remains elusive even after key elements of the puzzle have been pieced together.