7.3

1. Jul 1, 2014
    A decently suspenseful slasher with a decent twist. Definitely one of the few superior slasher remakes of the 21st century. Although, its twist ending does create a lot of plotholes and it comes off as very convoluted if you think a little harder about it.

The main characters aren't completely unlikable or bland, imagine that, they aren't just cannonfodder for the slasher. Although,
    they still come off as very everyday people, and there are no real unique features to them.

The excessive gore isn't really much of a problem for me, since the original was one of the more gory slashers of its time. But sometimes less is more, and this becomes very apparent in the style of the psychological horror that this movie tries to convey, in comparison to the original. The 3D is silly as always, and should have been left out completely.

The original was much more subtle in its portrayal of the killer. Sure, he was insane, but they played it off rather smoothly and the movie wasn't too much in your face about it. Contrast that to the remake, which constantly needs to remind the audience of the killers motives, and it comes off as an insult to our intelligence.

Psychological horror traded for decently thrilling jumpscares. I can't say I like the trade, but this was a better experience for me than most of the slasher remakes I've watched.
  2. Jan 16, 2014
    Exactly what you would expect from a slasher film. The focus here is on bloody kills rather than creating a scary experience. There might be some tension here just because you never know when the killer is about to show up or who he is about to kill, and the jump scares might even give you a slight jolt, but horror fanatics looking for any sort of terror are better off looking elsewhere. That being said "My Bloody Valentine" manages to be a serviceably good time by being good at what it does.

The kills here are incredibly bloody and the plot actually is pretty good. I found myself incredibly curious to find out exactly who is behind the grizzly murders, and I was surprised to find out that a lot characters are more than just faceless caricatures whose sole purpose in the film is to die in some incredibly brutal way. The acting is a little off, there are some unintentionally goofy moments throughout, and characters make moronic decisions that no real person would make in their situation, but there's enough here to make for a mildly entertaining watch. This kind of movie will definitely satisfy the teenage date crowd.

Overall I found the movie to be entertaining on an incredibly basic level. It may lack suspense or any sense of fear, but it's just nice to sit back and watch some not so brainless slaughter. Still at the end of the day I do want more from my horror movies, like for instance actual horror. It's entertaining, just don't expect this to be one you come back to for another watch.
  3. Aug 14, 2013
    Despite being extremely corny this is still one entertaining Horror film. Take out the corny 3D effects, which did nothing for me as I was watching it in 2D, and you've got a great film that has a pretty good storyline to it with twists thrown at every corner! Our three leads play their roles well and are suited well for the film, in particular Ackles. The blood, gore and nudity are all on high but in a way that still works for the film. Overall it's pretty impressive stuff! Expand
  4. Feb 2, 2013
    A horror movie that actually makes use of 3D, That's a shocker. A few suspensful moments and solid kills definently make it worth checking out but the poor acting by the cast and predictable ending (you pretty much know who the killer is half way into the movie) put a damper on things. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.
  5. Jan 31, 2013
    It is the perfect movie for the couple, but if you do not see with your girlfriend / boyfriend has bored you go.
  6. Sep 9, 2012
    Average remake of the excellent 1981 original slasher film. The kills are creative, and the change in the identity of the killer is a great addition. Otherwise, exploitation alley. The 3-D effects are stunning!

1. Reviewed by: Jenni Miller
    This is a fun midnight movie. Horror fans, get your friends together and go see some gore and some naked chicks in three dimensions.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    At heart an unabashedly retro work, reveling in the cliches and conventions of the slasher horror pics that proliferated in the early 1980s.
    But save for a giddily gratuitous sequence involving full-frontal nudity, a little person, and a French bulldog, the film is strictly by-the-numbers slasher boilerplate. It won't endure past the weekend.