Lionsgate | Release Date: January 16, 2009
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 127 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Meth-dudeAug 3, 2015
The acting was not that bad,the special effects were well made and the murders were pretty cool.My Bloody Valentine is definitely not a masterpiece but you can still enjoy it.
StrangerinaJul 1, 2014
A decently suspenseful slasher with a decent twist. Definitely one of the few superior slasher remakes of the 21st century. Although, its twist ending does create a lot of plotholes and it comes off as very convoluted if you think a littleA decently suspenseful slasher with a decent twist. Definitely one of the few superior slasher remakes of the 21st century. Although, its twist ending does create a lot of plotholes and it comes off as very convoluted if you think a little harder about it.

The main characters aren't completely unlikable or bland, imagine that, they aren't just cannonfodder for the slasher. Although, they still come off as very everyday people, and there are no real unique features to them.

The excessive gore isn't really much of a problem for me, since the original was one of the more gory slashers of its time. But sometimes less is more, and this becomes very apparent in the style of the psychological horror that this movie tries to convey, in comparison to the original. The 3D is silly as always, and should have been left out completely.

The original was much more subtle in its portrayal of the killer. Sure, he was insane, but they played it off rather smoothly and the movie wasn't too much in your face about it. Contrast that to the remake, which constantly needs to remind the audience of the killers motives, and it comes off as an insult to our intelligence.

Psychological horror traded for decently thrilling jumpscares. I can't say I like the trade, but this was a better experience for me than most of the slasher remakes I've watched.
TheQuietGamerJan 16, 2014
Exactly what you would expect from a slasher film. The focus here is on bloody kills rather than creating a scary experience. There might be some tension here just because you never know when the killer is about to show up or who he is aboutExactly what you would expect from a slasher film. The focus here is on bloody kills rather than creating a scary experience. There might be some tension here just because you never know when the killer is about to show up or who he is about to kill, and the jump scares might even give you a slight jolt, but horror fanatics looking for any sort of terror are better off looking elsewhere. That being said "My Bloody Valentine" manages to be a serviceably good time by being good at what it does.

The kills here are incredibly bloody and the plot actually is pretty good. I found myself incredibly curious to find out exactly who is behind the grizzly murders, and I was surprised to find out that a lot characters are more than just faceless caricatures whose sole purpose in the film is to die in some incredibly brutal way. The acting is a little off, there are some unintentionally goofy moments throughout, and characters make moronic decisions that no real person would make in their situation, but there's enough here to make for a mildly entertaining watch. This kind of movie will definitely satisfy the teenage date crowd.

Overall I found the movie to be entertaining on an incredibly basic level. It may lack suspense or any sense of fear, but it's just nice to sit back and watch some not so brainless slaughter. Still at the end of the day I do want more from my horror movies, like for instance actual horror. It's entertaining, just don't expect this to be one you come back to for another watch.
survivorfan989Aug 14, 2013
Despite being extremely corny this is still one entertaining Horror film. Take out the corny 3D effects, which did nothing for me as I was watching it in 2D, and you've got a great film that has a pretty good storyline to it with twistsDespite being extremely corny this is still one entertaining Horror film. Take out the corny 3D effects, which did nothing for me as I was watching it in 2D, and you've got a great film that has a pretty good storyline to it with twists thrown at every corner! Our three leads play their roles well and are suited well for the film, in particular Ackles. The blood, gore and nudity are all on high but in a way that still works for the film. Overall it's pretty impressive stuff! Expand
RikiegeJan 31, 2013
It is the perfect movie for the couple, but if you do not see with your girlfriend / boyfriend has bored you go.
Kyle39Sep 9, 2012
Average remake of the excellent 1981 original slasher film. The kills are creative, and the change in the identity of the killer is a great addition. Otherwise, exploitation alley. The 3-D effects are stunning!
joeypJun 17, 2009
Bad acting. even worse directing and horrible sound effects. In the combination of a lifetime of bad movies.
JimboHJun 6, 2009
An intentionally campy horror movie that intentionally mixes bad special effects with some writing and scenes that are there just to comically milk the 3d. If you get it, its fun. If you don't, you're Jim Ridley.
JayHMay 17, 2009
Very predictable, and the 3-D is unimpressive, but it has some good scares, the performances aren't bad and the score works. The rapid pacing is a plus.
PagFeb 11, 2009
Great 3-D effect. Jensen Ackles plays a perfect little boy lost-psycho. Jamie King was a strong character. Kerr Smith playing an asshole I didn't know he could. TWO words Tom Atkins.
AndrewBFeb 2, 2009
A film that doesn't shy away from it's 1980's roots and is undeniably fun. It was a great change of pace to enjoy an R rated flick in 3D.
JamesE.Jan 27, 2009
I went to this movie for three reasons. 1.To support 3-D movies, which I want more of! 2.To support the revival of the 80's style slasher flicks. 3.To support a rare R rated horror movie While the movie isn't the best I found it I went to this movie for three reasons. 1.To support 3-D movies, which I want more of! 2.To support the revival of the 80's style slasher flicks. 3.To support a rare R rated horror movie While the movie isn't the best I found it very entertaining. The 3-D did not disappoint although you could tell the director was not quite sure what was going to work best for the format. I am sure they will figure that out quickly as 3-D pushes farther into the mainstrea, so no worries. Acting was of course just plain bad. But if you go into a movie like this wanting good acting then you my friend are what I call a moron, or Roger Ebert. If you want a fun movie that will make you feel like you are back in the glory days of Jason, Freddy, and Michael Myers look no futher than My Bloody Valentine 3-D. If you want acting take your snobby ass to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Expand
PittmanW.Jan 24, 2009
The most fun you'll have at the movies all winter.
BillyB.Jan 23, 2009
The plot is thin. But the actors play it straight, the gore and nudity is hilarious, and the 3-D effect was excellent. Highly recommend experience in cinema 3D, but 2-D I wouldn't bother.
LauraBJan 21, 2009
Hmmm...I liked this movie. I liked the blood and the gore and the sheer novelty factor of wearing 3D glasses and gasping when the 3D effects occurred. I am not a horror buff, but I enjoy a fun/scary horror movie. This was a fun, scary horror Hmmm...I liked this movie. I liked the blood and the gore and the sheer novelty factor of wearing 3D glasses and gasping when the 3D effects occurred. I am not a horror buff, but I enjoy a fun/scary horror movie. This was a fun, scary horror movie. I would not take my kids to it. I don't go to movies to be educated. I go to movies to be entertained. Jensen Ackles and the cast of MBV3D entertained me. The 3 D was very good. Expand
JoshGJan 21, 2009
Being a huge fan Horror films, i must say i enjoyed My Bloody Valentine. It didn't take itself too serious & knew what the audience wanted & gave it to us. I advise you watch in a packed theatre. It was bloody fun.
RickyR.Jan 20, 2009
this movie was pretty well acted and had some good elements from 80's horror movies, some of the 3d effects were pretty cheesy and i predicted the twist at the end but all and all i really liked this movie.
JimOJan 19, 2009
Badass 3d slashers. loads of fun.
ColinGJan 19, 2009
This film delivered all that was promised and more. It's fun, has more than it's share of jolting moments and laughs. It's campy without the characters coming off as being in on the joke or winking at the audience. It proves a This film delivered all that was promised and more. It's fun, has more than it's share of jolting moments and laughs. It's campy without the characters coming off as being in on the joke or winking at the audience. It proves a film can be both scary and a little bit in on the joke as well. Those who didn't enjoy this film went to it and took it too seriously. This is supposed to be a fun, gorey, celebration of the slasher flick genre to be scene with a bunch of friends or fans of those films. If you don't take this film (or yourself) too seriously, you'll probably have a great time. One thing, the 3D effects really add a lot to the experience and may be essential to truly enjoying the film. Expand
HermanL.Jan 19, 2009
It's good to see an old fashion unpredictable movie just like the horror films from the early 80's. The 3D effects where way far better than those from the past . The 3D glasses were even cooler.
VicC.Jan 17, 2009
Worst movie i have seen in years. save your money. save your brain cells. save yourself... from this horrific movie 3D isn't even that great.
ChadS.Jan 17, 2009
"My Bloody Valentine" sounds more like the name of a shoegazing band from Dublin that it ever did as a slasher film set in a dour coal mining town. After 1991's "Loveless", the Kevin Shields-led band was never heard from again. Too bad "My Bloody Valentine" sounds more like the name of a shoegazing band from Dublin that it ever did as a slasher film set in a dour coal mining town. After 1991's "Loveless", the Kevin Shields-led band was never heard from again. Too bad the same couldn't be said about Harry Warden, the poor man's Jason, and the poor, poor man's Michael Myers. This "Friday the 13th"-knockoff, released ten years before songs such as "I Only Said" and especially, the heavy shoe-metal of "To Here Knows When" helped steal the name from its source, returns, and tries in vain to steal it back, with the novelty of 3D effects. Nice try. Although "My Bloody Valentine 3D" slavishly abides by the genre requirements of a slasher pic(down to "the final girl"), this remake, to my surprise, has pizazz(the 3D effects have come a long way from its "Jaws 3D" growing pains), and even some smarts(independent of the narrative). Prior to Ben Foley(Kevin Tighe) getting the pickaxe, the antagonist from John Sayles' "Coalminers from Another Planet"(in other words, "Matewan") shines his flashlight directly at the audience. He breaks the fourth wall; he encapsulates the animus behind Michael Haneke's "Funny Games"(both the Belgian original and American shot-by-shot remake) with this throwaway gesture. Scorned and misunderstood by a legion of moviegoers, "Funny Games" left many people feeling dirty, because the filmmaker made them complicit to the violence. Despite its populist pedigree, the three-dimensional diegesis is a much more effective tool than Haneke's use of deconstruction, as the filmic world now replicates, more or less, the real world situated in your theater. Phantasmagorically speaking, both sides of the divide are a seamless whole; the movie people resembles us more than ever. If things can escape from the screen, theoretically, things can enter the same way it came out, as well. But we're only voyeurs; we sit and do nothing. Being the confrontational artist that he is, Haneke implicates his audience for its passivity, in a terribly gruesome scene, where the gore of a child splatters all over a television set. "My Bloody Valentine 3D" goes one step further, the gore lands in our laps; the gore in our laps is a stigmata of our own unacknowledged thirst for blood. Expand
Plumphoney420Jan 17, 2009
A breath of fresh air! It's a great to see a horror movie that isn't so predictable. Haven't seen a horror movie this good in years! And the 3-D was impressive!
AmandaLJan 17, 2009
Excellent fun! and Jensen Ackles is terrific.
johnJan 17, 2009
My bloody Valentine is the worst movie of the year. I was bored and it is a BAD FILM.
MarcoJan 16, 2009
It's really, really bad but in the best possible way. Ridiculously gory violence, gratuitous sex and nudity, paper thin plot, novelty 3D effects. Good times.
[Anonymous]Jan 16, 2009
This is a fun midnight movie. Horror fans, get your friends together and go see some gore and some naked chicks in three dimensions.
MilesM.Jan 16, 2009
This movie was awesome, hands down. It was everything that it was suppose to be. There was no striving to be romance or thriller or anything. It was just straight up horror/slasher, like it should be. The fact that this movie was in an This movie was awesome, hands down. It was everything that it was suppose to be. There was no striving to be romance or thriller or anything. It was just straight up horror/slasher, like it should be. The fact that this movie was in an intense three dimensions makes it even better! Lots of good jumps outta nowhere and plenty of gratuitous horror movie nudity. This movie is a must see for any horror fan. Expand