6.5

1. Jul 18, 2011
    This was the funniest movie I've ever seen, the cancer part was hilarious. The way they depicted both the sisters as being bad is silly to me, it brought a light chuckle. When the one that didn't have cancer died I was surprised because the girl with cancer should always die first. It's natural selection...
  2. JamesR
    Aug 1, 2009
    Good idea for a movie, but so cheesly and predictably executed. It's almost as if the characters new they were in a bad Hollywood movie, so they acted accordingly. And stop the repeated slow motion scenes! I felt like half of the movie was in slow motion. IT HAS LIMITED EMOTIONAL EFFECT. Not sure exactly how long the movie went for, but it felt like way too long. Good idea for a Good idea for a movie, but so cheesly and predictably executed. It's almost as if the characters new they were in a bad Hollywood movie, so they acted accordingly. And stop the repeated slow motion scenes! I felt like half of the movie was in slow motion. IT HAS LIMITED EMOTIONAL EFFECT. Not sure exactly how long the movie went for, but it felt like way too long. Good idea for a movie, but poorly executed. Expand
  3. KristaP.
    Jul 22, 2009
    My sister's keeper made me smile, made me cry, and somehow made me laugh. It was an amazing tale of a bond between sisters. Cameron Diaz did an outstanding job, but I have to say that Sophia Vassilieva couldn't have been any better! Absolutely outstanding! Fabulous! Amazing! A 10!
  4. MattA
    Jul 6, 2009
    I blame the shortcomings of this film on both the writer of the script and the director. The director often rushed the emotion on particular scenes by slapping a montage together and then adding loud sappy music. Cameron Diaz's role as Sara was often weak, and unbelievable...with a few instances of a legitimate emotional connection. This movie could have been on any hallmark or I blame the shortcomings of this film on both the writer of the script and the director. The director often rushed the emotion on particular scenes by slapping a montage together and then adding loud sappy music. Cameron Diaz's role as Sara was often weak, and unbelievable...with a few instances of a legitimate emotional connection. This movie could have been on any hallmark or lifetime channel that makes weepies. If you let yourself get sucked into it... you'll probably shed a few tears. If you expect to be moved emotionally and spiritually... you better be easily convinced. Expand
  5. enriquep
    Jul 9, 2009
    Very good movie. It is moving and well done. I think it's the best cameron diaz performance until now. The girl playing the sick kid is excellent!!!!
  6. DavidP
    Jul 9, 2009
    A film with such an emotive topic does not need the overbearing and exaggerative emotional tactics that the director employs to exploit its audiences feelings. It might make you cry but you'll be equally angry at the complete lack of subtle manipulation. Many of the important issues that the premise raises are skimmed over or ignored, before the ending blows it completely.
  7. SahilG.
    Nov 1, 2009
    Speechless! Each and every character was amazingly written, with enough depth and great individuality. Makes it to the top on my list of films. BEST performance by Sofia Vassilieva, Cameron Diaz, Abigail Berslin, and all. We have to understand, that the screenplay and story was adapted for screen to appeal audiences, and if Nick didn't do this, the film would have turned out to be Speechless! Each and every character was amazingly written, with enough depth and great individuality. Makes it to the top on my list of films. BEST performance by Sofia Vassilieva, Cameron Diaz, Abigail Berslin, and all. We have to understand, that the screenplay and story was adapted for screen to appeal audiences, and if Nick didn't do this, the film would have turned out to be the visual version of the book, which would get boring and monotonous as we already knew what the BIG TWIST was and there was no point on repeating the same all over again, and if he did so, there would be no difference in the book and the film. All in all, Amazing job by each and every Cast and Crew member of "MY SISTER'S KEEPER" and thankyou for giving us a MATER PIECE. Expand
  8. HarveyL.
    Oct 10, 2009
    I never cried so long watching a movie, it has a great plot and actors made amazingly his job. Special congrats to Cameron Diaz and Jason Patric.
  9. TRJB
    Nov 4, 2009
    Really emotional film, something quite different.
  10. CadyT.
    Oct 6, 2009
    It one of the best movies ever made
  11. johnm
    Jun 28, 2009
    SPECTACULAR!!! The best performance for Cameron Diaz.
  12. tylerd
    Jun 30, 2009
    I thought this movie was good in all the right spots. it was sad and even the end was sad. that's why i gave it a 9. i thought it was going to be a movie that lifted you at the end. but all's you see Abigale breslin looking depressed. all i was glad Cameron diazes character moved on it was still toooo depressing. good performances by everyone!
  13. FeliciaG
    Jul 1, 2009
    I LOVED the book and have ready many of her books and the best part is always the ending that you did not expect, the BIG TWIST!! I was very disappointed in the ending, it just ruined the whole movie for me-The ending is what MAKES the book!!
  14. AmandaV.
    Jul 1, 2009
    Cassavetes has created yet another movie from an okay book. Although readers/fans of the book are angered by the changes made to the plot, Picoult signed away the rights to her story and Cassavetes changed what he did to make the movie more MOVIE-audience appealing. I love the changes he made and i absolutely adore the movie. It's touching, dramatic, and hysterical. Despite what Cassavetes has created yet another movie from an okay book. Although readers/fans of the book are angered by the changes made to the plot, Picoult signed away the rights to her story and Cassavetes changed what he did to make the movie more MOVIE-audience appealing. I love the changes he made and i absolutely adore the movie. It's touching, dramatic, and hysterical. Despite what readers say, defiantly see the movie! Expand
  15. AliceB
    Jul 30, 2009
    I have already read the book before i saw it yesterday, and thought the film was amazing. Although quite different to the book, the actors were extremely convincing. Cameron Diaz was fantastic, and so was abigail breslin and sofia vassilieva! I think in a way it is good to have a different ending to the book because you don't want to go see a film EXACTLY the same as the book, or it I have already read the book before i saw it yesterday, and thought the film was amazing. Although quite different to the book, the actors were extremely convincing. Cameron Diaz was fantastic, and so was abigail breslin and sofia vassilieva! I think in a way it is good to have a different ending to the book because you don't want to go see a film EXACTLY the same as the book, or it is boring. You must see this film, it had me laughing crying and smiling. Collapse
  16. SherryP
    Jul 9, 2009
    You can't change a twist ending from a book like "My Sister's Keeper" into a predictable ending that was in the movie. Shame on them!!
  17. tracyt
    Aug 8, 2009
    If you have not read the book then a good film, if you have read the book the the film will disappoint, the book gives more detail and goes a lot deeper and the ending it totally different, watch the film then read the book.
  18. WilliamL.
    Sep 6, 2009
    Truly touching.
  19. Sarahno
    Nov 10, 2009
    The movie had potential. The actors weren't all bad. But then the ending was absolutely terrible. And I mean terrible. The movie built up all this emotional tension, and then at the end it just kind of poofed out to nothing. They really should have kept with the original ending.
  20. MananG.
    Nov 2, 2009
    Movie with a touching theme, keeps the viewer engaged. The story might seem extended/pushed for effect in a few places, but all in all, a decent watch!
  21. ChadS
    Jun 27, 2009
    "My Sister's Keeper" picks up where Xiaoshuai Wang's "Zuo you" left off. The little-seen 2007 Chinese import told the story of a divorced couple(both newly married) who goes into the bedroom to forge a creature of circumstances. Their daughter has a rare blood disease, and needs the umbilical cord blood of a sibling for survival. Was it adultery? "My Sister's Keeper" has a "My Sister's Keeper" picks up where Xiaoshuai Wang's "Zuo you" left off. The little-seen 2007 Chinese import told the story of a divorced couple(both newly married) who goes into the bedroom to forge a creature of circumstances. Their daughter has a rare blood disease, and needs the umbilical cord blood of a sibling for survival. Was it adultery? "My Sister's Keeper" has a different ethical question: " Was it child abuse?" By harvesting the kidney of their test tube daughter to save Kate, Sara(Cameron Diaz) manipulates the family dynamics of offspring hierarchies in a way that would even give Jan Brady("Marsha! Marsha! Marsha!) pause. Frustratingly, the film doesn't really explore the emotional truth of the sick child's ancillary victims. Played by Sofia Vassilieva, the bald gosling possesses an intrepid smile that's capable of disarming the bull**** detectors of the most jaded, obdurate cinephiles. The manipulation works. Your water will work. She looks really, really sick. While "My Sister's Keeper" excels at tugging heartstrings, it does so somewhat dishonestly. Since the engineered child turns out to be complicit towards her mother's revitalization plans, the hard truths about how mothers and fathers parcel out love unequally to their children are never truly dealt with head on. The court may judge Sara in a cold objective light, but the family lets her off relatively easily for loving one daughter more than the other(not to mention the son, the middle child, the Eve Plumb). "My Sister's Keeper" lacks the emotional truth in a film like Robert Redford's "Ordinary People, in which Sara has a cinematic predecessor in Beth Jenkins, the stingy(with love) mother who doesn't love her surviving son(a boating accident), played by Timothy Hutton. Anna(Abigail Breslin) probably thinks that Sara wishes she had her sister's cancer, and she's probably right. "My Sister's Keeper" is one raw mother/daughter scene away from greatness. Expand
  22. ShanaK.
    Jul 22, 2009
    I haven't read the book but I loved the movie. The acting was great, the characters had a lot of depth and were well developed. It's a move that definitely makes you think. A must see, just make sure to bring a box of kleenex.
  23. Bonnie
    Jul 9, 2009
    I am appalled that Jodi Picoult allowed Warner Brothers to completely ruin the best book she has written. Jodi in known for her incredible "last chapter" endings and they removed that from the movie and left a predictable ending!. I don't get it! If you hadn't read the book you would be terribly confused, it was so "unconnected"! Jessie was hardly in the movie - doesn't one I am appalled that Jodi Picoult allowed Warner Brothers to completely ruin the best book she has written. Jodi in known for her incredible "last chapter" endings and they removed that from the movie and left a predictable ending!. I don't get it! If you hadn't read the book you would be terribly confused, it was so "unconnected"! Jessie was hardly in the movie - doesn't one wonder why it is entitled My Sisters Keeper? The makeup artist deserves an Academy Award. Expand
  24. GregW
    Aug 11, 2009
    Incredible capture of a real life scene. Very Well Done.
  25. JonnyW
    Aug 11, 2009
    This film was dreadfully shot and worked. The story is not well written at all, and the characters very unbelievable. It was quite hurtful to me that this film has been commissioned!
  26. SamG
    Nov 16, 2009
    This movie is awful. Avoid at all costs.
  27. NinaJ.
    Nov 28, 2009
    While the ending was a little soft, My Sister's Keeper has strong characters and poses interesting questions.
  28. SuzanneE
    Jun 28, 2009
    What made Picout's book so compelling was the twist ending. By selling out to a predictable, soppy ending, the movie loses much of the book's impact. Sub-plots and characters (brother Jesse's pyromania and the romantic story behind Alexander and his high school sweetheart) that were deleted from the movie gave the book it's dimension. Editing fewer soppy scenes What made Picout's book so compelling was the twist ending. By selling out to a predictable, soppy ending, the movie loses much of the book's impact. Sub-plots and characters (brother Jesse's pyromania and the romantic story behind Alexander and his high school sweetheart) that were deleted from the movie gave the book it's dimension. Editing fewer soppy scenes (including the trip to the beach) would have created time to explore these interesting subplots. Overall, a huge disappointment. Expand
  29. MarylnL
    Jun 28, 2009
    Much more dignified and less manipulative than I had expected.
  30. JohnH
    Jul 11, 2009
    This is a very underated film. I loved it. It had great acting. However, if you are in a funny mood, do not see this. This is one of the saddest films I have ever seen. But see this movie, anyhow! Great performances from Cameron Diaz, Allec Baldwin, and everybody.
  31. Dani
    Jul 17, 2009
    While the movie was still sad and heartfelt, it was not anywhere near as powerful as the book. The plot twist in the book that was changed IS what made the book. The movie now is just sad but very predictable. I could not wait to see this and I left the movies very disappointed.
    Aug 14, 2009
    Not as half as good as the book, sorry. Just didn't feel it.
  33. Sep 25, 2011
    saddest movie that made me mourn! damn! awful movie, but some scenes were ok. Sofia Vassilieva is looked excellent, I loved her in general is not for whiners movie because it will dry.
  34. Jan 20, 2011
    Thiz is a wake-up call movie! It is a tearing-down movie. Oh, it made us realize how precious every moment in our life. How lucky we would be, rather than complaining tiny meaningless things. It well directed by Nick Cassavetes. Cassavetes was a second class Actor that became more talented in directing movies. He is the man behind THE NOTEBOOK (2004). His deep comprehension about humanThiz is a wake-up call movie! It is a tearing-down movie. Oh, it made us realize how precious every moment in our life. How lucky we would be, rather than complaining tiny meaningless things. It well directed by Nick Cassavetes. Cassavetes was a second class Actor that became more talented in directing movies. He is the man behind THE NOTEBOOK (2004). His deep comprehension about human heart is really useful on thiz movie. The story is about Kate (Sofia Vassilieva) that sick from leukemia since baby. Her dependence from her other sister, Anna (Abigail Breslin) was transpiring for years bcoz of their medical-match. The illness became a major burden and also a hidden-blessing in the same time to unite the family stronger than ever. All Casts properly fill their shoes. I always said to myself since LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE (2006) that Abigail Breslin was a great young Actress. With the age like that, we could see the quality of young Jodie Foster was reborn like on her first appearance in TAXI DRIVER (1976). Cameron Diaz not just good-looking but always made an impressive performance when she involved in indie or small movie like thiz, last time I remembered thiz quality on BEING JOHN MALKOVICH (1999). Diaz successfully brought a firm mother character. The father also played convincingly by Jason Patric. The scene-stealer performance made by Thomas Dekker as Kate boyfriend. The narration, muted dialogue, slow motion scene, the score and soundtracks really blend us into our deepest sympathy. There are so many touching-heart scenes in thiz movie. The one is that really tearing me down is the scene of the last wish of Kate. She simply wants go to the beach, her dad granted her wish. Her mom and dad argue hard to let her doing it considering her critical health. But later her mom coming to join anyway. Her mom hugs her dad, Kate claps her hands. The scene describes beautifully when Kate enjoys her last moment with her family on the evening wave in the beach with background song FEELS LIKE HOME by Edwina Hayes. It is simple and powerful scene. It really stabs and takes out all of emotions from our heart.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  35. Apr 13, 2012
    A very moving, touching and emotional story about a girl with life-threatening illness (cancer) A young girl was born, named Kate, whom one day when she was roughly six years old, was told she had early stages of cancer, and the film goes on about how she went through her life with her illness. This made me cry but smile in some scenes, and would definitely be for teenagers. 10/10, aA very moving, touching and emotional story about a girl with life-threatening illness (cancer) A young girl was born, named Kate, whom one day when she was roughly six years old, was told she had early stages of cancer, and the film goes on about how she went through her life with her illness. This made me cry but smile in some scenes, and would definitely be for teenagers. 10/10, a fantastic but emotional film :) Expand
  36. Mar 10, 2012
    Incredible how a movie can make you feel true emotions ! Great performance of the actors. Saw it yesterday and it reached diirectly my Top 100 Hall of Fame.
  37. Aug 29, 2014
    Is it possible to make a drama too sad and depressing to watch? Quite possibly. My Sister's Keeper might just fit that criteria. Abigail Breslin shows her potential but never quite nails this role.
  38. Jan 11, 2015
    Screenwriter/Director Nick Cassavetes tries so hard to make Jodi Picoult's tragic,romantic,cancer story into a movie were people fans of romance can be filled with tears he does it very well. Abigail Breslin plays Anna a wonderful caring girl who does not want to give her sister kate a kidney, Breslin is charming i do not find her love able but she is sweet in (Signs and Little MissScreenwriter/Director Nick Cassavetes tries so hard to make Jodi Picoult's tragic,romantic,cancer story into a movie were people fans of romance can be filled with tears he does it very well. Abigail Breslin plays Anna a wonderful caring girl who does not want to give her sister kate a kidney, Breslin is charming i do not find her love able but she is sweet in (Signs and Little Miss Sunshine) and that's what she does in My Sister's keeper. Cameron Diaz play selfish,stupid **** mom who forces Anna to give a kidney to her sister and i found Diaz's character over ratted and plain out Not good also i can't believe that Jason Patric's character is agreeing with the mother. This is the best romance movie that Cassavetes ever done since That "okay" Sparks' disaster The Notebook. From the director of the notebook makes a huge huge huge huge improvement. Expand
  39. Mar 4, 2014
    An example of a film where too many emotional devices become unbearable. Too forced, too cheesy and too sad. Good for people who like this sort of film, but really not my cup of tea.

1. If you're going to make a weepy, there's no reason you can't make it with intelligence and insight as the makers of My Sister's Keeper have done.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Unsubtle, uneven and undeniably effective, this take-no-prisoners cancer weepie poses a fascinating moral quandary.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Pinkerton
    You don't usually see this unblinking attention to the progress of physical decay in a PG-13 wide-release movie, and to the degree that it represents a real aspect of human experience generally curtained out of sight, it is, in the language of movie people, a brave decision. But makeup department realism alone can't redeem the dramatic fallacies surrounding it.