My Week with Marilyn

8.0

1. Nov 21, 2015
    I love films about Hollywood and My Week with Marilyn is no exception to this. It is honestly a really, really good film that somehow manages to be a book about some guy's week he spends with Marilyn Monroe, yet so brilliantly capture what made her Marilyn. There is a certain electricity and pull she had that this film bottles up to suck you in like she did with men. The film has anI love films about Hollywood and My Week with Marilyn is no exception to this. It is honestly a really, really good film that somehow manages to be a book about some guy's week he spends with Marilyn Monroe, yet so brilliantly capture what made her Marilyn. There is a certain electricity and pull she had that this film bottles up to suck you in like she did with men. The film has an elegance and beauty that is largely unmatched thanks to Michelle Williams' electric, engaging, and ravishing, portrayal of one of the most magnetizing figures in history. Eddie Redmayne and Kenneth Branagh are also very good here and both show how easy it was to be pulled in by her even when you resisted. A wonderful time capsule of a film from old Hollywood, My Week with Marilyn is a beautiful film in every sense of the word and seduces you with ease. Expand
  2. Apr 11, 2015
    I was skeptical if Michelle Williams, strong actress as she is, could really pull off Monroe, but she doesn't here with flying colors: arguably it's her best performance to date, you never doubt here that she is Marilyn in her sexiness,and spontaneity. Kenneth Branagh is somewhat less successful as screen legend Laurence Olivier, but he's quite good and entertaining to watch as well. TheI was skeptical if Michelle Williams, strong actress as she is, could really pull off Monroe, but she doesn't here with flying colors: arguably it's her best performance to date, you never doubt here that she is Marilyn in her sexiness,and spontaneity. Kenneth Branagh is somewhat less successful as screen legend Laurence Olivier, but he's quite good and entertaining to watch as well. The weakness of the film is in the slightness of the plot's arch, along with having to follow the lead character who isn't near as interesting as those around him. He's played by Eddie Redmayne who recently won an Oscar, but here the script just doesn't give him the ability to compete with the actors around him. It's a good film, worth seeing for Williams' and Branagh's performances. Expand
  3. Aug 28, 2014
    Not your average biopic, My Week with Marilyn is a unique perspective into a single week in the life of one of America's greatest icons. Michelle Williams is perfection as Marilyn herself--with Eddie Redmayne proving himself in Hollywood.
  4. Dec 4, 2013
    Had a chance to watch it on TV recently just by accident. That accident made me discover a great powerful movie not so well known as it should be. Michelle Williams portrayed perfectly Marilyn, she's charming but also a suffering person, and I could see both from 1 second to another. The other thing most people don't choose to talk about is the guy who portrayed Colin, that guy made meHad a chance to watch it on TV recently just by accident. That accident made me discover a great powerful movie not so well known as it should be. Michelle Williams portrayed perfectly Marilyn, she's charming but also a suffering person, and I could see both from 1 second to another. The other thing most people don't choose to talk about is the guy who portrayed Colin, that guy made me feel the love and admiration for a person without saying anything at all, the shoots on his face just almost crying, or excited, or showing all the love a person could have for someone made me get into the movie. In fact I was going to change the channel... once I saw him... his emotions made me stay until the end. Love the couple, Michelle was great but the actor (Eddie Redmayne I think) made this love real, I congratulate both of them. Expand
  5. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A coming-of-age film, revolving around Colin Clarke's (Eddie Redmayne) encounter with the iconic Marilyn Monroe (Michelle Williams). Colin decides that it is time to stand on his own two feet and show his wealthy family that he too can be successful, and does so by attempting to go into the film industry, otherwise referred to as going to "join the circus". He lands a job as 3rd assistant director (basically, gofer) to Laurence Olivier (Kennath Branagh) for the film "The prince and the showgirl", starring both Olivier and Monroe.
    Monroe is portrayed here as being two sides of the spectrum: on the one hand, she appears to be extremely witty and full of confidence when in interviews. On the other hand, she is also shown to be dim and unprofessional (to put it mildly), not showing up on time, forgetting her lines and constantly needing explanations as to what she is doing. She also appears as very insecure and thus highly dependant on the approval of others, to the point where as long as she gets her emotional fill, she doesn't seem to care (or rather notice) that she might have broken someone else's heart (a pattern that is implied repeats itself with her). Williams gives a good performance of somebody (someone like Monroe, I guess), but lacks the innocent seductiveness that was Marilyn Monroe a very important factor for this film. Probably the most important factor, seeing as it is shown in the film that this is why people put up with her (alleged) shenanigans, or why they would fall in love with her.
    Redmayne puts in a solid performance as the wide-eyed, simple-hearted yet ambitious Clarke, however Williams' lack of sex-appeal, as mentioned previously, makes it hard to see why this young, impressionable yet intelligent young man would "fall in love" with what appears as a neurotic, bipolar damsel-in-distress except for maybe her characters on stage, and the fact that she was the most "famous woman in the world".
    Branagh's Olivier seemed to me like a caricature, lacking the depth and sharpness needed.
    In short, I was let down by the portrayals of two of the most iconic figures in motion picture (a tall order to begin with), which subsequently made the film tedious. On a side-note (and whilst speaking of iconic figures), who on earth thought that Julia Ormond would be a great Vivian Leigh? Fire them at once!
  6. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My Week with Marilyn. Michelle Williams. It seems that the main actress, who plays the main character Marilyn Monroe has been synonymous with My Week with Marilyn. There is nothing fanciful or fresh in the assertion I made, it is crystal clear that Michelle conquered the film. Her 'Epic- in-Quantity' contribution for the film is the main definition for the success of the movie and I'm sure that in the present times or in the future, you cannot think of My Week with Marilyn without thinking of her.

I'm going to begin this review by sharing my opinion on the acting first and I'm going to start with Michelle Williams. This American screen actress has so much of value in her talent and I meant it. She entertained us with a transformative performance which is quite rare in films and her characterization for the character is so right-she is witty, sensitive, depressive and at the same time,too, appealing. This, in my own belief, states that she has trained hard for the part and yes, she accomplished and she is near Marilyn Monroe in the movie. Kenneth Branagh next is the important and 'Giant' moment for the movie. Brannagh plays the legendary actor Sir Laurence Olivier (One of the greatest classical actors of All-Time). His performance here could be pictured as 'Beautifully-Done' or handsome-really commanding and surely I am not exaggerating but I am so sure that the level of acting which he has contributed is just as good as what Michelle have done for the picture and he is slightly theatrical too. To wrap it up, Brannagh's performance is superb. Other supporting players like Judi Dench, Zoë Wanamaker and Julia Ormond were excellent too. Although one would witness fine performances, the movie is not gorgeously acted entirely. Eddie Redmayne is not captivating and somewhat dull in my opinion. Perhaps the character Colin Clark is not interesting and there's a possibility that the blame could not be placed entirely on E.Redmayne but I easily cannot deny that he seemed bland playing the role, and the many faults from the movie started from there.

The biggest flaw of the film comes from the script. It is repetitious. There are some scenes in the film, the content to be specific, are similar to some extent and Monroe's greatness were being repeated over and over again which irritates me and bored me. My views on the film were literally being lowered upon those discoveries I am slightly disappointed. On the other hand, the pacing during the first quarter of the film is not favourable at all. It moves at a bullet train speed and it is inevitably messy.

My Week with Marilyn is an effective and entertaining portrait of Marilyn Monroe. Superbly acted, but its underachieved screenplay pulls the movie down.

(http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/AlexDesmall) (http://facebook.com/alex.desmall) Twitter (Alex_DeSmall)
  7. Dec 27, 2012
    While the movie isn't a masterpiece, it does offer the fabulous performance by Michelle Williams. She is truly Marilyn, and it shows on every level. Pros: Will make you fall in love with the story. Cons: Can be a bit too slow for some people. Diagnosis: Give it a shot!
  8. Nov 11, 2012
    A wonderful film. Great acting, very balanced and fair portrayal of events from the book. It reminds you of the sadness of her life. It made me want to watch Prince and the Showgirl again :)
  9. Nov 10, 2012
    Close your eyes and think about Marylin Monro. What do you picture? First thing that comes to my mind is an-idol-of-american-beauty. An actress of fragile innocence in her eyes and astonishing sensitivity, she wasn't only the lady of the screen, but also one of the great actresses of all time.
    In film "My week with Marylin" we can catch the moments of life of the finest actress in all movie industry Marylin Monro, acted by gorgeous Michelle Williams. Sir Laurence Olivier, also one of the most remarkable and extremely talented actors, who once said: "What's the most important attribute of a successful actor? Talent. Talent that must be develop into skill!"; he is making a film in England and invited America's Diva to be part of it. Movie is based on a real story and facts, when Marylin first time came to London in 1956 for shooting a movie and met a young eager film student named Colin Clark, who fall in deep love with her and afterwards he wrote a diary about his experience and how he spent the most incredible time in his life with American Beauty. From this story we can see how many sacrifices she made in her life, what she was dreaming about, what a sensitive character she had and what it really took to be a Symbol of America. She was the woman with a strong character, but with an innocent heart of a child, who wants to live his life full of freedom and careless. I suggest this film only to aesthetic lovers and, of course, admires of Monro's beauty. It's worth one time watching to be inspired enough.
  10. Oct 27, 2012
    Excellent ensemble, beautiful music and stunning visual, yet there is something missing. One of the things that seemed completely unnecessary was the love story between Clark and the girl played by Emma Watson. As for Michelle Williams the magic of her transformation in Marilyn was broken with the singing scenes. As much as she managed to capture Marilyn's mannerism it did not functionExcellent ensemble, beautiful music and stunning visual, yet there is something missing. One of the things that seemed completely unnecessary was the love story between Clark and the girl played by Emma Watson. As for Michelle Williams the magic of her transformation in Marilyn was broken with the singing scenes. As much as she managed to capture Marilyn's mannerism it did not function when she had to sang. All in all, a nice movie to see, but most likely you will forget it in matter of days. Expand
  11. Sep 17, 2012
    My Week With Marylin was not an excelent movie. But Michelle Williams gives one of her best performance on screen as wonderful and poignant Monroe without imitating it.
  12. Jul 5, 2012
    My Week with Marilyn has a performance that is so perfect you fall in love, and then get completely heart broken in the end because you know what happens to her eventually. It is funny, and beautiful. I give this movie 91%.
  13. Jun 24, 2012
    I almost humped Merlyn Monroe when I was a young lad, does not make an appealing story. And if it weren't for the radiance of Michelle Williams and her ability to convince in equal measures as both the persona that cameras and public loved so much as well as the fragile and insecure woman she was in her private moments, this would be a real disappointing piece altogether.
  14. Jun 10, 2012
    Why does everybody love to hate Marilyn? See 'Some Like it Hot' and you'll appreciate that she has enormous talent right next to Jack Lemmon et al. But also notice the sad eyes. My Week doesn't give her nearly enough credit!
  15. May 7, 2012
    Very nicely done story telling about a movie icon. It matters not if it was true; it's good. The challenge, in my view, with making a movie depicting one of the most written about and gossiped about movie star of her time is that you're going to have to live up to very broad expectations; the ratings and awards this movie has garnished is testament to the production doing just that, and inVery nicely done story telling about a movie icon. It matters not if it was true; it's good. The challenge, in my view, with making a movie depicting one of the most written about and gossiped about movie star of her time is that you're going to have to live up to very broad expectations; the ratings and awards this movie has garnished is testament to the production doing just that, and in particular Michelle Williams proving she deserved her nomination. I have seen several movies with Marilyn Monroe, but not "The Prince and the Showgirl", nor have I read the Colin Clark book on which "My Week With Marilyn" was based; my expectation was that I might not find the movie would live up to all the praise. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

Michelle Williams was completely convincing and Kenneth Branagh, who played the role of Sir Laurence Olivier, delivered a performance that revealed a side of the renowned actor I knew nothing about; if that alone does not do it for you, the rest of the movie and the cast won't convince you. That cast, by the way was quite the ensemble.

The story, true or not in content, was not over the top as one might have expected, and given it tackles the persona that was Marilyn, it is a pleasant outcome. The director smartly avoided the temptation to sensationalize the depiction, in my view. If you don't care to see the story of a movie icon, a legend, don't watch it; if on the other hand you're open to a good character development work, this movie is worth seeing.
  16. Apr 20, 2012
    Another exemplar of a biographic mediocre interpretation, from UK director Simon Curtis, and suffers from its regulatory pressure of acting over the film itself (thinking of last yearâ
  17. Apr 17, 2012
    This is a disappointing movie. How can a film about one of history's most iconic, mysterious and enchanting movie stars be so un-enchanting? Even Michelle Williams as Marilyn and Kenneth Branagh as Olivier cannot save this film from the boring direction of Simon Curtis. This is a story that had a chance to me as magical as Marilyn herself. Instead, we get what looks like incredibly stagedThis is a disappointing movie. How can a film about one of history's most iconic, mysterious and enchanting movie stars be so un-enchanting? Even Michelle Williams as Marilyn and Kenneth Branagh as Olivier cannot save this film from the boring direction of Simon Curtis. This is a story that had a chance to me as magical as Marilyn herself. Instead, we get what looks like incredibly staged and uninvolving scenes, a plethora of men swooning at Williams in basically every scene, and the look and feel of a TV movie of the week. There wasn't one scene of real substance here, save for some nice moments with Judi Dench, as Dame Sybil Thorndike, who is authentically sympathetic to Marilyn and defends her from the at times harsh and un-compassionate colleagues on the British movie set where they are working. The characters are little more than cardboard caricatures and lack the true character development of a more distinguished film. Williams tried hard, but had too much working against her here. At the end of the 102 minute running time, I still yearned to learn much more about this charismatic and troubled movie star-icon. Expand
  18. Mar 22, 2012
    My overall reaction to this film is disappointment. It is filled with a wonderful cast of actors in a period piece that has the look of a very good film.But in my view this film could not work without the actress playing Marilyn character working and Michelle Williams did not do it for me. I had been warned that her resemblance to Marylin was not very good so I was prepared for that, butMy overall reaction to this film is disappointment. It is filled with a wonderful cast of actors in a period piece that has the look of a very good film.But in my view this film could not work without the actress playing Marilyn character working and Michelle Williams did not do it for me. I had been warned that her resemblance to Marylin was not very good so I was prepared for that, but she projected none of the aura and appeal of the real Marylin Monroe. She did project her voice and mannerisms at times but it was simply not enough. Without her strength to carry the film we are left with caricatures of the others notables portrayed and it becomes a self serving vehicle for Colin, the author, to let us in on his big moments with a sex bomb star he had fantasized with. The sequences are slow moving and boring, and the conflicts between the characters contrived and uninteresting. I am not sure any of the actors could have saved this turkey of a screenplay. Expand
  19. Mar 17, 2012
    Very overrated and very limited plot. A lot of lingering shots of Michelle Williams being coquette-ish and who doesn't look like herself anymore. So if looking at her is supposed to deliver satisfaction rather than plot this is really a homage to fillers I would have preferred much more scenes between Olivier and Marilyn. Not even that atmospheric, An Education did a much better job ofVery overrated and very limited plot. A lot of lingering shots of Michelle Williams being coquette-ish and who doesn't look like herself anymore. So if looking at her is supposed to deliver satisfaction rather than plot this is really a homage to fillers I would have preferred much more scenes between Olivier and Marilyn. Not even that atmospheric, An Education did a much better job of capturing a bygone age (albeit a different one to this) Expand
  20. Mar 3, 2012
    A good movie that borders on the regular, not momorable but entertaining. Michelle Williams gives us another excellent interpretation as to Branaght..
  21. Feb 24, 2012
    My Week with Marylin is an amazing movie because it shows that everyone, no matter fame, money or beauty, it is human and it suffers like one, passing through sorrows and glories. The story is about a young man who wants to create his own path in life and because he loves movies, he will try his hand in the film industry. In his first job, he will met Marylin Monroe, and will fall in loveMy Week with Marylin is an amazing movie because it shows that everyone, no matter fame, money or beauty, it is human and it suffers like one, passing through sorrows and glories. The story is about a young man who wants to create his own path in life and because he loves movies, he will try his hand in the film industry. In his first job, he will met Marylin Monroe, and will fall in love despite that everyone tell him to do not get involve to deeply because Marylin will use him and then broke his heart. In this point is when this picture becomes like a chronicle of a death foretold.
    Another interesting topic of My Week with Marylin is the relation that appear between the female protagonist and the director of the movie (a film inside a film), Laurence Olivier. He fells intimidated by the diva, because Larry is also famous but no one pays attention or wants to take care of him. Then we see the irony when comparing Marylin with Laurence: She is a star that wants to become an actress; and he is an actor who wants to become a star.
    This movie has an original idea, a beautiful script and performances that leave you open-mouthed; specially the ones of Michelle Williams and Kenneth Branagh.
  22. Feb 23, 2012
    My week with Marilyn. To be honest, I was a little disappointed and bewildered. Michelle Williams is excellent, her ability to capture a slice of Marilyn's vulnerability and be equally captivating at the same time, is special. What I disagreed with was the way it almost skated over her darker side, she looked desperate to get away but so compelled and disgusted by her situation she stayed.My week with Marilyn. To be honest, I was a little disappointed and bewildered. Michelle Williams is excellent, her ability to capture a slice of Marilyn's vulnerability and be equally captivating at the same time, is special. What I disagreed with was the way it almost skated over her darker side, she looked desperate to get away but so compelled and disgusted by her situation she stayed. I know, I know it was based upon two autobiographical pieces written by Colin Clark, I suppose this is more of a snap shot in time than a real look at Monroe as a complete person. Judy Dench, Kenneth Branagh and Julia Ormond have strong performances as well as Williams. Eddie Redmayne is in the beginning very good, but wanes as he becomes more infatuated with Marilyn, whether this is writing, Redmayne's style or his direction I do not know. Is it a bio-pic or a romance? I think this film failed to satisfy either option, however it had a lightness that left you wanting more of a very tragic story which was already getting closer and closer to its conclusion. 7/10 Expand
  23. Feb 23, 2012
    A solid 4.5/5 stars. Michelle Williams did a wonderful job at capturing the mannerisms of Marilyn, while still adding her own flair to her acting. My favorite part of the film was definitely the songs though. The song list included"Marilyn's Theme," "It's a Wrap, I Found a Dream" and "That Old Black Magic." They were all great throwbacks to the 40s and 50s!A solid 4.5/5 stars. Michelle Williams did a wonderful job at capturing the mannerisms of Marilyn, while still adding her own flair to her acting. My favorite part of the film was definitely the songs though. The song list included"Marilyn's Theme," "It's a Wrap, I Found a Dream" and "That Old Black Magic." They were all great throwbacks to the 40s and 50s! http://thecelebritycafe.com/reviews/my-week-marilyn-soundtrack-02-13-2012 Expand
  24. Feb 23, 2012
    After you get over the fact that Michelle Williams isn't actually Marilyn Monroe (yes, it actually takes a minute or two due to how the original is burn into our psyche) and get used to her in the role you find a beautifully acted film.

Though the film itself is quite mediocre (script and flow are a bit shallow and slow), it is saved by mesmerizing performances by Michelle Williams as a very believable and almost flawless Marilyn Monroe and Kenneth Branagh's fantastic Sir Laurence Olivier, thus turning into quite a nice watch.

Not the best film I've seen, but definitely a hefty notch on Michelle Williams' belt taking on one of the most dangerous roles an actress could due to the impossibility of capturing Monroe's "je ne sais quoi". Williams could have easily fallen into Monroe imitation land yet she manages throughout the film to skip along that very thin line that lies between copycatting Marilyn's animated persona and a genuine real-life portrayal of the multi-layered starlet. Not an easy task to say the least and Williams comes out of it in flying colours.

In short, a great film if you can admire great acting without the film itself actually going anywhere.
  25. Jan 29, 2012
    Charming and delightful. Michelle Williams is a scene-stealer. The range of emotion she conveys as Marilyn is remarkable. All of the actors did a fine job, spare one. I can't for the life of me understand how and why Kenneth Branagh got nominated for an Academy Award. His portrayal of Laurence Olivier was abrasive to me. Like a pumice stone. It ruined the tone of the film slightly. ButCharming and delightful. Michelle Williams is a scene-stealer. The range of emotion she conveys as Marilyn is remarkable. All of the actors did a fine job, spare one. I can't for the life of me understand how and why Kenneth Branagh got nominated for an Academy Award. His portrayal of Laurence Olivier was abrasive to me. Like a pumice stone. It ruined the tone of the film slightly. But other than that, the movie was great. Expand
  26. Jan 22, 2012
    It will be a race to the Oscars this year as Michelle Williams' portrayal of Marilyn Monroe is neck-and-neck with Meryl Streep's portrayal of Margaret Thatcher. What makes both of their performances amazing is that they don't just LOOK like the people whom they are portraying, but they capture the absolute essence, making the viewer believe wholeheartedly that they ARE the person, notIt will be a race to the Oscars this year as Michelle Williams' portrayal of Marilyn Monroe is neck-and-neck with Meryl Streep's portrayal of Margaret Thatcher. What makes both of their performances amazing is that they don't just LOOK like the people whom they are portraying, but they capture the absolute essence, making the viewer believe wholeheartedly that they ARE the person, not just acting the part. Williams doesn't just doll herself up to look like Marilyn. That alone was quite a feat since Michelle Williams is structurally unlike Marilyn. I was very impressed with the makeup and wardrobe. However, what sets her apart as an extraordinary portrayal of Marilyn is how stunning, and I'm truly understating it, of a job Williams does evoking the tortured soul of this woman. I've read a lot about Marilyn over the years and knew about much of the history discussed in this movie, but I've never had a sense of how she was able to be this darling on the screen and for the public while also being so troubled in the background. I absolutely loved watching how Kenneth Branagh's Sir Laurence Olivier struggled with realizing her brilliance, yet making sure he wasn't captured in the web she clearly likes to weave around those who fall prey to her. For a woman who proclaimed to not be loved by her parents or by her many husbands, thus dramatizing and victimizing herself, she creates an air of powerlessness, but those closest to her, especially the men who fall helplessly in love with her, she has all the power in the world. While Marilyn's story has always been told from a sad perspective, the reality shown here, and what seems very natural considering her past and condition, is that Marilyn didn't understand what real love was. No father. An insane mother. A very false sense of love and admiration from Hollywood and her fans. Husbands that wanted her because she was Marilyn. And, in this story, Milton and Colin, two in this movie of probably countless men who succumbed to her charms and story, wanting to care for, love and help her, which she allows, until she doesn't need them anymore. The trail behind her of broken hearts, to which she gives very little thought. The performances by all are amazing in this movie. In the end, Michelle Williams may have the edge over Meryl in the Oscar race simply because the strength of the story and supporting performances are far greater. Expand
  27. Jan 16, 2012
    I found this film enchanting from the opening scene. It isn't overly moving or powerful, but simply pure entertainment and a very well done movie. Just enough intrigue and comedy for a good balance, some excellent performances, especially Michelle Williams, to where you probably wouldn't mind this week turning into a month.
  28. Jan 16, 2012
    Michelle Williams, perhaps the finest actress working today, gives a stunning performance here and demystifies the legend of Marilyn Monroe, making her painfully human. If only the rest of this film was up to her level.
  29. Jan 14, 2012
    www.unsungfilms.com
    by Georgia Xanthopoulou
    First thingâ
  30. Dec 29, 2011
    What made Marilyn Monroe a great star was her magic dust, like Tinkerbell's, that she would suddenly turn on in the middle of an otherwise awkward performance. Her seduction of the camera, and therefore the audience, is so subtle, complex and mystical as to defy effective description. This film, to its great credit, shows Marilyn's brokenness and then her genius, beautifully. I was soWhat made Marilyn Monroe a great star was her magic dust, like Tinkerbell's, that she would suddenly turn on in the middle of an otherwise awkward performance. Her seduction of the camera, and therefore the audience, is so subtle, complex and mystical as to defy effective description. This film, to its great credit, shows Marilyn's brokenness and then her genius, beautifully. I was so resistant to accepting Michelle Williams' performance, but she won me over, massively, in the end, as the film ripens and goes deep, with profound close ups, showing Marilyn as she may have been, must have been, at times, in private, at times deep as the Marianas Trench, at times effervescent and alive as the eternal girl looking for love that Marilyn always was. That Ms. Williams and the director could find and reproduce Marilyn's genius is a stunning cap to an otherwise enjoyable film, and worth every second. I may go back to sit it again... to be with timeless Marilyn, and a great new talent in Ms. Williams. Expand
  31. Dec 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely charming! I personally don't know much about Marilyn Monroe except that she is an icon and she sang that Happy Birthday song to the President. The film was fascinating to me to learn about her a little bit. I do wonder if the real Monroe was really like the Monroe in the movie. For example, was she really that bad in memorising lines? Was she really that bad in being on time? etc etc... Regardless, the movie kept my attention throughout. Michelle Williams did an excellent job in convincing me that she was Marilyn Monroe. She should be singled out during the Oscar time. This film succeeds big time in giving us a rare and fascinating glimpse into the private live of Marilyn Monroe. Expand
  32. Dec 27, 2011
    A delicious entertainment from a old fashioned lightweight script that is illuminated by a "once in a lifetime" performance by Michelle Williams. She is the soul of the brittle beauty and like no other performance or impersonation of Marilyn touches your heart. It may help if you are a film fan and have seen "The Princess and The Showgirl" Eddie Redmayne captures the essence of the sweetA delicious entertainment from a old fashioned lightweight script that is illuminated by a "once in a lifetime" performance by Michelle Williams. She is the soul of the brittle beauty and like no other performance or impersonation of Marilyn touches your heart. It may help if you are a film fan and have seen "The Princess and The Showgirl" Eddie Redmayne captures the essence of the sweet innocent youth wonderfully. Powerful and funny recreation of Olivier by Branagh, supported by a terrific Judy Dentch and a host of British luminaries. Expand
  33. Dec 24, 2011
    I am overtly amazed by how great this film turned out to be. I thought it would be good, but it surpassed my expectations. Michelle Williams was truly great in portraying Monroe, leaving me mesmerized and guessing at the same time. Branagh was pretty humorous and demanding and was followed by a somewhat also charming and warming supporting cast, as seen in Redmayne. Wouldn't beI am overtly amazed by how great this film turned out to be. I thought it would be good, but it surpassed my expectations. Michelle Williams was truly great in portraying Monroe, leaving me mesmerized and guessing at the same time. Branagh was pretty humorous and demanding and was followed by a somewhat also charming and warming supporting cast, as seen in Redmayne. Wouldn't be suprised if Williams walks with the Oscar this year, most deservingly. Expand
  34. Dec 13, 2011
    Michelle Williams (Blue Valentine) plays the infinite Marily Munroe, along side Eddie Redmayne (Elizabeth: The Golden Age) as Colin Clark a young film student who documents Sir Laurence Olivier's production starring Marilyn. While documenting the film he forms a close bond with Marilyn learning all about her inner securities and fears about becoming a successful actress. This film is heartMichelle Williams (Blue Valentine) plays the infinite Marily Munroe, along side Eddie Redmayne (Elizabeth: The Golden Age) as Colin Clark a young film student who documents Sir Laurence Olivier's production starring Marilyn. While documenting the film he forms a close bond with Marilyn learning all about her inner securities and fears about becoming a successful actress. This film is heart warming and moving as we see what really happens behind closed doors with one of the most names in history. A definite must-see film starring other famous names such as; Judi Dench and Kenneth Branagh. Expand
  35. Dec 12, 2011
    Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe is a wonder !
  36. Dec 6, 2011
    This is a small sweet movie, with an electrifying performance by Michele Williams. http://luhathoughts.blogspot.com/2011/12/marilyn-marvelously.html
  37. Dec 2, 2011
    I don't know why the critics are so hard on this one. Michelle Williams is amazing. I hope she gets nominated for an Oscar. The score is also great. Go see it and take a date!
  38. Dec 2, 2011
    The vast majority of film characters who are addicted to pills and alcohol should not be the main characters in movie scripts. These characters are frequently one dimensional and are only required to slur words, stumble over steps, and make a nuisance of themselves. There are exceptions (Nicolas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas) as there are to any rule of thumb, but usually one does not wantThe vast majority of film characters who are addicted to pills and alcohol should not be the main characters in movie scripts. These characters are frequently one dimensional and are only required to slur words, stumble over steps, and make a nuisance of themselves. There are exceptions (Nicolas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas) as there are to any rule of thumb, but usually one does not want to rest a movie on a pill-headâ Expand
  39. Nov 29, 2011
    "My Week With Marilyn" is based on the true story of Colin Clark, a young 23 year old, who diaried and recounted his work as a "gofer"in the making of the 50's film "The Prince and the Showgirl" which originally starred Marilyn Monroe and Sir Laurence Olivier. This movie stars Michelle Williams (as Marilyn Monroe), Kenneth Branagh (as Sir Laurence), Eddie Redmayne (as Colin Clark) and"My Week With Marilyn" is based on the true story of Colin Clark, a young 23 year old, who diaried and recounted his work as a "gofer"in the making of the 50's film "The Prince and the Showgirl" which originally starred Marilyn Monroe and Sir Laurence Olivier. This movie stars Michelle Williams (as Marilyn Monroe), Kenneth Branagh (as Sir Laurence), Eddie Redmayne (as Colin Clark) and other cast members including Julia Ormond, Judi Dench and Emma Watson (HarryPotter). Written by Adrian Hodges and directed by Simon Curtis the film is slow moving and oftentimes trite in its dialogue as it seeks to penetrate the life and psyche of Ms. Monroe. This complicated icon is portrayed by Michelle Williams in an uncanny and extraordinary manner that, regardless of the merits (or demerits) of the film, will certainly earn her Oscar consideration in 2012. Ms. Williams becomes Ms. Monroe and gives the performance of her career as she captures her character's nuances and likenesses to such an extent that even Meryl Streep would be forced to sit up and give a nod of approval. The film, under normal circumstances, deserves only a 7 rating ut because of Ms. Williams' performance, I give it an 8. Movie-history buffs and all who enjoy seeing an actress come of age will like the film.

-----Original Message-----
    From: Tlmgjrpr
  40. Nov 28, 2011
    It's a passable little film dominated by Judi Dench whenever she's on screen. The lead actor also does a darned good job, but the movie as a whole is paper thin. It's an easy miss.
  41. Nov 27, 2011
    This true story is told by a young assistant director (Eddie Redmayne), who had a brief familiarity with Marilyn Monroe (Michelle Williams) during her troubled filming of "The Prince and the Showgirl" in England. His innocence becomes her solace against the pressures of her co-star Laurence Olivier (Kenneth Branagh) and her difficult life in general. This is a quality production allThis true story is told by a young assistant director (Eddie Redmayne), who had a brief familiarity with Marilyn Monroe (Michelle Williams) during her troubled filming of "The Prince and the Showgirl" in England. His innocence becomes her solace against the pressures of her co-star Laurence Olivier (Kenneth Branagh) and her difficult life in general. This is a quality production all around: the script is engaging, the look is attractive and the performances are compelling. A well-crafted and sweet film. Expand
  42. Nov 25, 2011
    Obviously, the reason I bought a ticket (and the reason anyone will buy a ticket, for that matter) is to see Michelle William's performance. In regards to that, I got my money's worth; she was fantastic. The film overall, though is brought down so much by the editing. Continuity is out the window. I have never seen such a poorly edited film that is running for Oscars.
  43. Nov 25, 2011
    Excellent. The editing is wonderful, it gets you into the story before the characters take over. Michelle Williams nails the performance, just when you start to see the actress you slip right back into seeing Marilyn. The layers she has to play is amazing, not like the superficial cartoon that Kate Blanchett did of Katherine Hepburn (Aaarruggh). I was caught up in the movie for the fullExcellent. The editing is wonderful, it gets you into the story before the characters take over. Michelle Williams nails the performance, just when you start to see the actress you slip right back into seeing Marilyn. The layers she has to play is amazing, not like the superficial cartoon that Kate Blanchett did of Katherine Hepburn (Aaarruggh). I was caught up in the movie for the full time (also not something I can say for the poorly edited Hugo). If you want to be taken to another time and place and believe it, this is the one. You also get the added benefit of understanding how this characters interacted without the "vengence" factor when characters get angry at one another in films today. The foreshadowing is subtle but clear yet you don't have clue how people will react. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 26, 2011
    This is a slight movie, but it's Williams' all the way (possibly to an Oscar nod) while the rest of the cast supports her well.
  2. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    Nov 30, 2011
    The acting is superb, the settings are beautifully recreated, the dialogue crackles with occasional wit, but where's the juice? Although lovely to gaze upon, the whole thing feels a bit precious and porcelain, more teapot than sexpot.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Nov 28, 2011
    When bad movies happen to good people, the first place to look for an explanation is the basic idea. That certainly applies to My Week With Marilyn, a dubious idea done in by Adrian Hodges's shallow script and Simon Curtis's clumsy direction.