6.4

1. Mar 21, 2014
    Emma Thompson plays a dumb nanny who does gross things to children and she's a old school nanny . it fails to be myfavorite film . trust me it sucks for emma thompson .
  2. MarcN.
    Jan 30, 2006
    Nanny McPhee is a delightful film. Many critics seem to have forgotten that films are made for particular audiences (few of which are composed solely of critics). I went to a press screening and brought along my 10-year-old and his buddy and they had a phenomenal time.
  3. OranC.
    Feb 2, 2006
    This movie was pretty predictable, and didn't have the oomph you could tell it was supposed to have. An enjoyable experiance though, with colors and costumes to keep you interested.
  4. TerryB.
    Feb 22, 2006
    This more was a fun forget your day type of movie. Something that yes doesn't shock you but something that you can get lost in and just have fun with.
  5. SuttonS.
    Feb 5, 2006
    Nanny McPhee is filled with the magic of family love. If you're in the mood for a charming fairy tale, this one will sweep you away.
    Mar 3, 2006
    This movie totally captivated my whole family from age 5 to 40. Loved it, especially the donkey scene and the baby in the stew pot scene.
  7. MarkK.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Looking at the DVD box and the talented actors, one is expecting a good movie. Alas, it turned out to be predictable and too long. Our kids asked more than once when it would end -- not a good sign!
  8. Julie
    Jan 26, 2006
    It would take more than a spoonful of sugar to get this down.
  9. MarilynZ.
    Feb 27, 2006
    Very entertaining. Everyone in our party enjoyed this movie. Some great talent and clever scenes. We are looking forward to adding this to our DVD collection.
  10. EdwardS.
    Feb 6, 2006
    It is a cute little story about a houseful of horrid kids and an inattentive widower who, with a little help from a stern Nanny (and a little magic), are turned into a happy home. The family's progress can be seen in the Nanny's face!
  11. BeanoS.
    Mar 23, 2006
    Fun, but not memorible. A British "Lemony Snicket".
  12. Sam
    May 16, 2006
    The whole movie surprised me. After seeing the ad, I expected a goofy disaster, but instead recieved a glorious, moving "remake" of Mary Poppins.
  13. TroyH.
    Jun 21, 2006
    It's not a bad movie. It's just not a very good movie either. This would have been better if it were more realistic. The impossible movie magic that that it uses, ruins the real magic it could have had.
  14. JoséM.
    Jan 25, 2006
    Charming, surprising - I'll give eight, since I was with my 8 and 3 year olds. Worked marvelously with them.
  15. Vicki
    Jan 31, 2006
    My 4 year old loved it, my 10 year old found it enjoyable but oh so predictable, and I sat there wishing I'd waited for it to come out on video.
  16. Chrissy
    Feb 11, 2006
    Purely uninteresting for anyone over the age of 10. It makes little real sense, and certainly lacks an interesting plot. Don't worry about skipping this one everyone!
  17. N.H
    Feb 11, 2006
    Inventive, creative, charming and quirky. You can hardly ask for more from a family movie. See it with or without a kid!
  18. MarkB.
    Feb 14, 2006
    You'd think that any children's movie that opens with cannibalism and decapitation (both pretend!) would rank as some kind of instant cult classic along the lines of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory or Time Bandits, but you'd be disappointed at how quickly this slides into utter blandness. Despite its highly stylized, wildly colorful period sets (which look far more You'd think that any children's movie that opens with cannibalism and decapitation (both pretend!) would rank as some kind of instant cult classic along the lines of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory or Time Bandits, but you'd be disappointed at how quickly this slides into utter blandness. Despite its highly stylized, wildly colorful period sets (which look far more art-directed than actually lived-in) this adaptation of Christianna Brand's popular books comes off as...well, rather colorless. I'm sorry to report that a big portion of this falls right into the lap of adapter/star Emma Thompson, who despite playing a character with two warts, a set of eyebrows that makes Frida Kahlo look like Kate Moss, and a nose that makes Thompson appear to have frequently been on the winning end of a series of gin-guzzling contests with W. C. Fields, underplays the title character so much that she comes off as invisible as the hero's late wife, represented by an empty pink armchair. Said widower (Colin Firth), overwhelmed by the bucketload of kids he's not doing well at all at disciplining (although the double-digit broods recently seen onscreen in Yours Mine & Ours, Cheaper by the Dozen 2 and The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio make him seem like the Planned Parenthood poster boy by comparison), hires the mysterious, vaguely supernaturally gifted McPhee to instill some order; she not only does that but straightens out his prospects for Wife #2. Among screenwriter Thompson's and director Kirk Jones' sevewral unimaginative decisions is that of making the reduction or elimination of McPhee's facial oddities disappointingly literal: she loses a wart or other imperfection every time she accomplishes a job-related goal, but it would've been far more interesting to render this process a lot more ambiguous (did she really become prettier as she goes along or does it just SEEM that way to the kids because they've grown to love and respect her?) Curiously, the movie's best set piece by far is the one that doesn't involve McPhee at all--it's the cleverly timed sequence where the dad endeavors to protect the Would-Be Wife From Hell from all manner of slapstick sabotage aimed at her by the children. Part of this is because Celia Imrie is not only so much fun to watch and listen to as the predatory, mercenary marriage candidate, but appears to be the only cast member (yes, kids included) who really looks like she's having a good time. Undemanding family films like this are reminiscent of G-rated pablum like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang that parents in the late 1960s took their children to, fervently wishing (either during the film or while excusing themselves for lobby smoke breaks) that ten or twelve movies could be shown in the same building so they could park the kids there while watching something provocative like Easy Rider or Midnight Cowboy. Oh well, if you've got YOUR kids for the afternoon, and Munich or Brokeback Mountain are playing at the same multiplex... Expand
  19. Oct 31, 2010
    very entertaining movie thanks to Emma Thompson.
  20. Feb 28, 2011
    The Story Line Of The Movie Is Average, Because Of The Scenes Where McPhee Makes The Animal's Turn MAGICA!!! :)
    As For The Child Actors..... Sometimes They Seem To Ruin The Movie For Any One Watching Nanny McPhee... This Film Is Cute For Younger Children Because Of The "Magic" And The "Fun" Thrown Out In The Movie...
    The Special Effect's Are So-So Because When The Animals Are Dancing It
    The Special Effect's Are So-So Because When The Animals Are Dancing It Looks Fake..
    This Was Not The Best Or The Worst Movie Of 2006...
  21. Sep 3, 2012
    The movies colors almost blind me to death, and even though it is pretty childish, the ending feels as true magic that movies can create. Good to enough to enjoy with all the actors.
  22. Dec 26, 2013
    Nanny McPhee an all round family movie for the family but some floors that did not impress my Squeamish brother. Another down side to this movie is the plot is around a slightly dark thought of a man who needs to marry or no rent fair enough but this movie scores a 5.5 out of 10 for its lack of fun and differences in the movie.Still if your looking for a good family movie to watch with aNanny McPhee an all round family movie for the family but some floors that did not impress my Squeamish brother. Another down side to this movie is the plot is around a slightly dark thought of a man who needs to marry or no rent fair enough but this movie scores a 5.5 out of 10 for its lack of fun and differences in the movie.Still if your looking for a good family movie to watch with a bowl of popcorn GO FOR IT. Expand
  23. Jul 7, 2014
    It's a little bit over-the-top, but that's why I like "Nanny McPhee". Emma Thompson does a wonderful job with her character Nanny Mcphee, she is charming and bring us valuable lessons to life.

1. Colorful, noisy and brimming with special effects, the picture may please young audiences simply looking for loud action, but its corny storyline and brittle lack of warmth may discourage both parents and children.
  2. Reviewed by: Leslie Felperin
    Under the surface, the movie has a streak of Roald Dahl-style darkness that dilutes the sugar.
  3. Reviewed by: Jaime Mastromonica
    If you have someone under 10 to take to the movies, this one is charming and painless.