Fox Searchlight Pictures | Release Date: June 11, 2004
7.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 344 Ratings
WATCH NOW
LaGuertaJul 22, 2014
While 'Napoleon Dynamite' is undoubtedly amusing, the lack of a strong storyline reduces it's characters into quotable caricatures with a distinct lack of depth.
bradAug 28, 2005
Not that funny, not that clever. Laughed only once. Disjointed, boring story.
6 of 8 users found this helpful
ElsieC.Sep 15, 2005
I just don't understand all the hype. I didn't laugh once.
5 of 8 users found this helpful
WongitJun 16, 2006
I really dont see where they hype comes from. Honestly. Way overhyped.
PatrickD.Sep 11, 2005
A Classsic? I don't think so. This film had so many useless scenes, where they only end up with another "Gosh!" It was hardly even a film-more of an experiment.
RobC.Sep 26, 2008
Just three words: Slow, Bored. Eccentric.
grandpajoe6191Sep 24, 2011
The movie's decent, that's all.
JeffL.Jul 19, 2004
As the titular high school ubergeek, Jon Heder gives a truly original performance. Slack-jawed, good-hearted, but not really all that bright, Napoleon could serve as a walking illustration for the phrase "bad hair day." I also loved cutie As the titular high school ubergeek, Jon Heder gives a truly original performance. Slack-jawed, good-hearted, but not really all that bright, Napoleon could serve as a walking illustration for the phrase "bad hair day." I also loved cutie Tina Majorino as Napoleon's almost love interest and Efren Ramirez as his new best friend, a Mexican kid who's the new guy at school. Despite the performances, I found the film's low-key tone to be repetitive and ultimately grating. It's like listening to a symphony composed entirely of a single note - it may be well-played, but after 86 minutes you'll be glad it's over. For a far funnier, smarter, and more richly written and performed teen comedy, check out this year's earlier hit Mean Girls - sometimes Hollywood actually does get it right. Expand
0 of 2 users found this helpful
PatC.Jan 3, 2006
Engaging & unique, yet the ending and add-on ending were flat, implying the makers didn't believe in what they were creating.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
TokyochuchuMar 30, 2015
Napoleon Dynamite is a weird movie where everyone seems to be stoned or drunk all the time. It has a kitsch, unique appeal to it though. Despite that, though, I can't quite understand how this movie became such a runaway success.
BradySmithMay 29, 2015
I watched this movie again to reevaluate it and I did enjoy it more this time around. There are a decent amount of funny moments here, and it undoubtedly stands out from the high-school comedy crowd. That's not the same as saying that it'sI watched this movie again to reevaluate it and I did enjoy it more this time around. There are a decent amount of funny moments here, and it undoubtedly stands out from the high-school comedy crowd. That's not the same as saying that it's a great comedy. There are some sections that are truly boring and a lot of the jokes fall flat. It's most successful moments occur fairly early on as well. But its quirkiness, strange lead character, and free roaming structure make it entertaining and memorable, and that's a lot more than you can usually say about teen centered comedies. Expand
FranzHcriticNov 30, 2014
It has some moments of oddball charm, but I find this film satirizing itself most of time. It is a parody, I just don't know what. Of awkwardness? Well, it does succeed in making me feel awkward. Not in the smart way, though. It shows howIt has some moments of oddball charm, but I find this film satirizing itself most of time. It is a parody, I just don't know what. Of awkwardness? Well, it does succeed in making me feel awkward. Not in the smart way, though. It shows how plain dumb awkward moments can be, without a hint of reason why. No good acting, incredibly far fetched idea ( if that was the point, maybe you shouldn't make films), and too low of budget values. This is an indie rock, not a gem. Expand
RobertOBrienJul 9, 2015
Lots of people love it, lots of people hate it. Both sides are acting like children, I thought the movie was okay. It''s calmness and laid back attitude is refreshing. Just watching a dork try and live his life is pretty funny.

Though the

Though the movie is comprised of awkward humor, and not very many real jokes, the only other humorous moments come from how the actors deliver their lines. But with that, the moments that are funny, are pretty funny.