6.4

1. Jun 23, 2016
    Okay, so the film wasn't particularly great. But it wasn't bad either. As a fan of the NFS series, this film wasn't tragic or awful by any means. What it did feel like though, was a bit empty. Something was missing from the film. There are bits that felt under-developed where once you combine them all, it drags the film slightly down. I did enjoy this film in parts, but I was equally boredOkay, so the film wasn't particularly great. But it wasn't bad either. As a fan of the NFS series, this film wasn't tragic or awful by any means. What it did feel like though, was a bit empty. Something was missing from the film. There are bits that felt under-developed where once you combine them all, it drags the film slightly down. I did enjoy this film in parts, but I was equally bored in other parts. This film feels like it could use a sequel, it has potential to be better for sure. Expand
  2. Apr 10, 2016
    This is best film about the races . Excellent . Amazing story make this film one of the best movies of 2014 . Need for speed is a good series and a good film . Who believes that Need for speed is terrible movie is wrong . Need for speed with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles best movies of the 2014 year . I watched Need for speed film in the cinema and Im love this film .
  3. Feb 23, 2016
    This movie doesn't need the speed. It already got the speed taken from several other racing movies instead of taking it from the video games that adapted this movie. This movie makes the video games look bad.
  4. Nov 14, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best video game movies of all time. Top dog actors such as Kid Cudi, Aaron Paul, and Imogen Poots. But how ever the movie sees an unexpected turn that will surprise the audience and the movie features not a single CGI effect whatsoever so that way the movie emerses the audience in to a crash fest of amazing, a cross country chase against a killer, and lots of cops and races.

The movie features Aaron Paul as the main protagonist Tobey where he has to travel cross as Dino played by Dominic Cooper who has killed his best friend Pete in a car crash.

Events in the movie are taken in a little bit of a serious approach but with some humor slapped in to there. Dialogue is a little corny and it works a little.
  5. Oct 30, 2015
    Am I impressed? Yes and No. Need for Speed is another attempt for hollywood to make film adaptation of a video game. Now in the past, these movies are highly criticised for how bad they really are, and Need for Speed is probably the best adaptation of a video game I've seen so far. Let me give you the pros and the cons, the pros are that the car stunts were amazing as they attempted not toAm I impressed? Yes and No. Need for Speed is another attempt for hollywood to make film adaptation of a video game. Now in the past, these movies are highly criticised for how bad they really are, and Need for Speed is probably the best adaptation of a video game I've seen so far. Let me give you the pros and the cons, the pros are that the car stunts were amazing as they attempted not to use CGI to conduct dangerous stunts with expensive cars, speaking of cars, I loved the variety of cars used in the film, they are all beautiful and loud and fast. Now the cons, the cast I swear to god was picked absolutely blind, on the exception of Michael Keaton who played The Monarch, but everyone else was poorly picked, the role of Toby Marshall played by Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul was very stale and at the same time hey was trying to hard to be just like Dominic Toretto in The Fast and the Furious franchise which made a very poor attempt in trying so, and the unnecessary length of the film at 134 minutes was stuffed like a thanksgiving turkey with a bunch of filler scenes that did not connect to film's main story at all. Overall the film was not great, but ok as it stuns me for the stunts and the story which was slightly flawed was also ok. This is a sign that hollywood is slowly understanding how to make video game adaptation one step at a time starting with Need for Speed. Expand
  6. Aug 6, 2015
    A horrible boring movie that makes you wanna zap away whenever an actor opens his mouth. The conversations between the actors is just plain stupid. Only braindeads can give this s**t a 10.
  7. Jul 22, 2015
    2/5★ Coming off of Breaking Bad, Aaron Paul stars in the video game adaptation of Need For Speed. Uncreative and logic defying, and when not focused on cars driving insanely fast, is boring and overly long. Cut out the talking and forgettable characters and ramp up the stunts and what you got is beautiful cars doin' the fast and furious tango. Or you could just play the game.
    Verdict: Car
    Verdict: Car stunt enthusiasts and adrenaline junkies.
  8. Jun 20, 2015
    This is a beautiful movie and I was not expecting it to be as good as it was. I was shocked at how good the story was, the races, the comedy, and everything else. I am not a fan of racing movies, but if there is a sequel for Need For Speed I will most likely be seeing it!
  9. chw
    May 25, 2015
    Need for Speed is basically a mix of Fast and the Furious and Dumb and Dumber. Two people are on a road trip (in a Shelby, making the mix) which then just gets dumb..and dumber..and dumber than Dumb and Dumber.
  10. May 14, 2015
    I'm not really that interested in cars. Also, I really like to play games but the Need for Speed games were never really special to me. This movie, however, caught me quite good. I liked the story, it had a good cast, some cool cars and a, though a bit predictable, cool ending. Also, some references to the game are really wel done. A movie worth to check out!
  11. Apr 4, 2015
    I wasn't entirely sure what to expect going into this movie, but i have to say i really enjoyed it. Two thumbs up! Lead actor Aaron Paul did a great job, as well as the rest of the cast. Although the beginning of the film was slow and somewhat awkward, things picked up quickly. I enjoyed relationship between Tobey and Julia as well as the plot, which was simple yet pleasing. Some of theI wasn't entirely sure what to expect going into this movie, but i have to say i really enjoyed it. Two thumbs up! Lead actor Aaron Paul did a great job, as well as the rest of the cast. Although the beginning of the film was slow and somewhat awkward, things picked up quickly. I enjoyed relationship between Tobey and Julia as well as the plot, which was simple yet pleasing. Some of the action sequences may not have been completely original, however they were executed brilliantly. The cars, police chases, and character development were well done and gave me a sense of anticipation throughout the film. I can honestly say i haven't felt so tense or captivated by a movie in a long time. I'd recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys expensive cars and unforgettable action, definitely worth a watch! Expand
  12. Mar 1, 2015
    The only thing I know about the assoc. video game is when it hit the News, so I'm not biased by it. The movie itself was really quite good. There were several action scenes that were first-ever which helps support my rating to 8. There was a lull near the middle, during the cross-country road trip where I almost fell asleep. That would've made for a good edit since this film is a long-ishThe only thing I know about the assoc. video game is when it hit the News, so I'm not biased by it. The movie itself was really quite good. There were several action scenes that were first-ever which helps support my rating to 8. There was a lull near the middle, during the cross-country road trip where I almost fell asleep. That would've made for a good edit since this film is a long-ish 2hrs. And I can't help but think that at the end of the race, if this was filmed in the 70s, the cop would've walked up to Tobey to arrest him with some amount of admiration, but these days you get the militarized, hyper-response with all guns drawn on a skinny, exhausted racer - pitiful, good film otherwise. Expand
  13. WJS
    Feb 14, 2015
    While this movie looks great, its over-fuelled bravado takes forever to get anywhere. It could do with some serious editing. This used to be one of my favorite video games, but not anymore. Very clichéd and predictable.
  14. Feb 11, 2015
    This is probably one of the worst movies i have ever watch.
    This is probably one of the worst movies i have ever watch.
    I was sure that this movie will be awful but not that much it was a complete disaster first of all the actors or i must say the actor because for me the only actor in the movie was Aaron Paul i like that guy in Breaking Bad he was good there but after Need For Speed i don't want to see that guy in other movie his acting in that movie was level Latino TV Series what ever i can take the weak acting but the story line and plot was just ........... probably the worst was that they repeat everything from bunch of movies that did it before and make it again and again and again .This movie don't give us nothing new it's just a movie fill up with a movie cliches from other movies i mean we have death of a relative in race we have bad guy who don't give a **** about anything we have a blond girl that's in the car for no reason
    "You need i navigator i will be your navigator and i need to guard the car from you because i just get out of the jail"
    seriously girl they have a helicopter and other 2 planes a Jeep with genius and you are going to be his navigator ???? oooo it's probably to be sure that the car is in good hands mmm.. that's not it because they crash the damn car but NOOO!! we need a drama between boy and girl in movie with cars and raceeeeees so why don't we put that blond b***h in middle of the nothing and do nothing.Why don't we make a few stuns in front of the cops and risk innocents life's to impress the blond girl and to show how we don't care about anything we only want to race because our friend is murdered in race -__- . You kill my friend that mean we will race ??? WTF ??? Is that normal the guy get out of the jail to race with him ???? In my opinion this movie is based on blshts and i cant understand why every body act like retards in that movie .

What ever i don't even see a point to review this movie i say it with few words .This movie is lame with no plot or good acting full with cliches and boring scenes and don't tell me its good because of the races if you want to watch a races goo watch NASCAR or F1 if you want to watch new and fast cars go watch TOP GEAR we want to watch a MOVIE!!!!!!
  15. Jan 16, 2015
    Alright; first off, this movie clearly panders towards the Need for Speed fans. I'm somewhat of a layman when it comes to movies like this. There are people who just love fast cars, they go crazy whenever they see a Ferrari or Lamborghini or some **** I'm not one of those people.
    Although this movie fails on every level, I can't blame it too much. it's pretty much for 12 year olds and car fetishists, and I'm not either one of those. If you are however, and you happen to lack any sort of good taste, then this is the perfect movie for you. No intelligence required, just 90 minutes of "fast cars go wroom".
  16. Jan 4, 2015
    Yep its another awful live action adaptation of a video game. What a surprise. I actually thought this film was going to be genuinely good when I saw Aaron Paul’s interview on Top Gear. He promoted this film like it was going to be like one of the classic car films such as Bullet and Vanishing Point, but what it is, is an un-inspired waste of time. For a film called Need for Speed,Yep its another awful live action adaptation of a video game. What a surprise. I actually thought this film was going to be genuinely good when I saw Aaron Paul’s interview on Top Gear. He promoted this film like it was going to be like one of the classic car films such as Bullet and Vanishing Point, but what it is, is an un-inspired waste of time. For a film called Need for Speed, this films pacing is slow as hell. Aaron Paul and Dominic Cooper are completely wasted and while it’s admirable that the film is using actual cars rather than CGI, it makes the destruction scenes of very expensive (near £200,000) cars seem even more wasteful and given the way the economy is going at the minute that may not be the best way to go, as your audience have paid a lot of money at the cinema to see this. Couple that with a story that tries to combine the plot of too many games in a short space of time and you have pure pain. Don’t see this one, it’s a waste of time. Expand
  17. Jan 3, 2015
    Um dos piores filmes de 2014, a adaptação é totalmente clichê, nada tem a ver com a franquia do game de mesmo nome. O filme é uma total perca de tempo e realmente o ÚNICO ponto positivo no filme é o ator de Breaking Bad, Aaron Paul.
  18. Dec 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I absolutely love the Need For Speed franchise. So I bought this film at CEX (Thank God I didn't pay the full price for a new copy), expecting a maybe slightly unrealistic, yet thoroughly entertaining film. What I didn't expect was the complete lack of a plot whatsoever. It is quite similar to the game, just a bunch of speed freaks driving around, with no organisation whatsoever. For no obvious reason, the bad guy decides to kill some young hotshot in a race, and then drives away. The main character is framed and imprisoned. The very day he comes out, several years later, he decides to do more street racing. The only thing that can be said for this excuse of a film, is that it has some very intense race scenes, so if that's all you want to watch it for, I recommend this. So, if a guy getting naked with literally no explanation, and a general lack of any reason whatsoever doesn't bother you, watch this. If you care about a film having a plot, stay well clear of it. Expand
  19. Dec 17, 2014
    Much more watchable than the 'Fast and Furious' movies, but that's not saying a lot. This movie was enjoyable for what it was: an extended car chase with a revenge motive. Aaron Paul and Imogen Poots made for a convincing and enjoyable duo, but outside of them this movie gets to be forgettable. With decent scenes to break up all the racing and chasing, this movie did deliver in actionMuch more watchable than the 'Fast and Furious' movies, but that's not saying a lot. This movie was enjoyable for what it was: an extended car chase with a revenge motive. Aaron Paul and Imogen Poots made for a convincing and enjoyable duo, but outside of them this movie gets to be forgettable. With decent scenes to break up all the racing and chasing, this movie did deliver in action and watchability. Of course, this movie does push towards gamers and gear-heads, so anyone outside of those circles can't expect to get much enjoyment out of this one but I do admit it was fun at times and would surly watch again (but never pay to own it). Expand
  20. Dec 9, 2014
    Need for Speed is ah… bad. I think that was expect, seeing all films based on videogames received poor reviews from film critics (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Tomb Raider). This is no exception. It’s noisy, blandly directed and mostly stupid. It’s a shame because I really like Need for Speed games. They are thrilling at least. This movie is not entertaining. I mean,Need for Speed is ah… bad. I think that was expect, seeing all films based on videogames received poor reviews from film critics (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Tomb Raider). This is no exception. It’s noisy, blandly directed and mostly stupid. It’s a shame because I really like Need for Speed games. They are thrilling at least. This movie is not entertaining. I mean, occasionally it is, but when I see a movie, I don’t want the movie just to be “entertaining”. I want the movie to be satisfying, well-paced and decently plotted. Not what’s happening here. There are some points really good, but that’s about it. It’s not “Need for Speed”. It’s “Need for Coherence”. Before pointing out all the flaws, let’s start telling the plot summary of this film.

Framed by an ex-partner for a murder he did not commit, Tobey Marshall, a financially struggling custom-car builder and street-racer, spends two years in jail thinking about one moment. Fresh out of prison he reacquires the fastest car his workshop ever built and sold, and seeks to enter a secretive and extremely high-stakes race known as The Deleon. His purpose; redemption, recognition from the world of racing and to solve his problems. Yet all this fades in comparison to his driving reason. Revenge. Above all, revenge. This is a story about love, redemption, revenge and motor oil all swirled together, but above all; It's a story about fast, fast cars.

The plot above makes absolutely no goddamn sense. See, when you play Grand Theft Auto, you don’t want to understand the complexity of the characters’ relationships or relish the entire narrative of the game. You want to steal cars, you want to kill people, you want to run over them with cars, tanks and trucks, you want to rob a bank, you want to explode everything. You want to make Liberty City (or whatever the hell they’re located) into a big Michael Bay horror show, you want to torture people, kill your own girlfriend or your best friend. So, for the most part, no one cares about the story. They just want to f*ck everything. No one gives a **** about the story of Need for Speed too. So when you fit the plot of a game into a live-action movie, it doesn’t work. Because these movies should be grounded in reality and with this movie already having realism applied to it, when it comes to action sequences, it doesn’t work. It becomes so stupid. That’s not the only complaint I have for this film, as the characterization in this flick is so damn poor it makes me feel nothing about the characters. Before we get to that, let’s talk about the race scenes.

The race scenes are pretty freaking cool. I mean, the stunts, the flips, the explosions are so exhilarating it prevents myself from giving a lower score, and the actors’ performances are really pretty cool to see but when the characters are so underdeveloped like these in this movie, you can’t feel emotion in them. For instance, when Tobey’s friend died, I didn’t feel anything about the deceased character. Why? Because the character was underdeveloped, so when the character is not entirely developed throughout the movie, you can’t feel anything for it. Oh by the way, how the hell did Tobey get framed for a crime he did not commit? There wasn’t any proof that he did that. *Sighs*

As I was saying, you don’t feel anything for the characters and that’s a major flaw. Actually, it’s pretty much what ruins a movie. I felt sad for Gwen’s death in “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” and Groot’s supposed death in “Guardians of the Galaxy”. In “Need for Speed”, I didn’t feel anything for Peter. What am I going to learn about the character to feel sad for her? Nothing. I didn’t learn anything about the character. Peter is not the only stock character this movie. Tobey Marshall is the most developed character in the film, and that’s not saying much because it still lacks emotion within the character. Besides him, there’s a sh*t ton of characters with short development, one of them being the love interest, Julia Maddon. She clearly is in the movie to be another “pretty face” cliché. How sad.

Final Score to Need for Speed: 3/10. While there’s, undeniably, some fun attached to it, this video game adaptation fails to please moviegoers due to its absurd plot, bloated direction and underwritten characters. If the Uncharted film eventually comes out in 2016, it will definitely suck and it’s not because it has bad writers or a bad director (which there’s not), but because this whole concept doesn’t work. Face it, Hollywood. Adapting videogames into the cinema won’t work unless if there’s something new to add in the formula.
  21. Nov 10, 2014
    Need for Speed provides a decent amount of entertainment but unfortunately, in terms of plot, characters and action set pieces, this one need some refueling.
  22. Nov 2, 2014
    Need for Speed is a prototypical racing film that brings nothing new to the car-centric action genre. Although the premise of a revenge film revolving around drag racing sounds intriguing, it is filled with a sloppy, disjointed plot and boring stock characters. Wastes relatively good acting by the leads of Aaron Paul and Dominic Cooper by creating rather disconnected, unempatheticNeed for Speed is a prototypical racing film that brings nothing new to the car-centric action genre. Although the premise of a revenge film revolving around drag racing sounds intriguing, it is filled with a sloppy, disjointed plot and boring stock characters. Wastes relatively good acting by the leads of Aaron Paul and Dominic Cooper by creating rather disconnected, unempathetic characters. Michael Keaton brought a strong comedic performance to help break up any tension throughout the film. However the tension never really seemed to be there at the level it should have been. The film relied too heavily on the video game franchise and cars rather than actual story, trying to cash in on the current success of its star. If the writers focused on a more innovative story for a rather overdone genre than flashy cars perhaps this film would have defined a new age of racing films. Need for Speed certainly has a need for some speed. Expand
  23. Oct 17, 2014
    I believed was impossible to make an so awful movie with 1 milion dollars cars, explosions, frenetics chases and so on. I have been unearthing that its possible.
  24. Oct 14, 2014
    As usual, the smug liberal hipster critics with broomsticks up their you know whats... are making their usual puns they think are clever to bash a movie they could never understand. If it's not a movie about a gay man finding himself or a drama about a young boy getting picked on they want nothing to do with it.

If you love cars, you'll LOVE this move.. If you love need for speed, you

If you love cars, you'll LOVE this move.. If you love need for speed, you will LOVE this movie, if you like high adrenaline palm sweating over the top action, you will LOVE this move. I LOVE this movie.

So glad someone is willing to make this even though they know the critics have their heads between their legs.
  25. Sep 23, 2014
    If you are looking for a decent plot, you will not find it here. The characters are corny and cliche, and the whole concept of a race for revenge is pitiful. But that was not the point of this movie.
    This movie is about stunts and action, just like the video games. The stunts get to the point of absurdity, like when a car gets a helicopter lift across a canyon. The racetrack gets overcrowded by discoordinated cops and gratuitous car smashing, just like my favourite racing games.
    This movie is for anyone who wants to watch fast cars and/or love the Need For Speed games.
  26. Sep 5, 2014
    "Need for Speed" is just an OK movie. Nothing that will make you go crazy or say that this movie was something special but hell, it's not a boring one. Acting, plot and pretty much anything could have been better. Very forgettable and mediocre movie overall.
  27. Sep 1, 2014
    Just like the Fast and Furious series if you looking for nothing but action then here you go. Expensive cars being drove really fast with horrible dialog is what you get and is about all you will get from movies like this.
    The one thing this movie had going for it was the use of real cars and letting the actors drive said cars, the behind the scenes and making of are worth watching.
  28. Aug 31, 2014
    " I do not fear, for you are with me. All those who defied me, shall be ashamed and disgraced. Those who wage war against me, shall perish. I will find strength, find guidance, and I will triumph." - Tobey Marshall

I like this movie because is not with impossible stunts and is only with cars, races.
  29. Aug 26, 2014
    Total disgrace to the Need for Speed game franchise. An absolute cash grab. How ANYBODY could even think this movie is good blows my mind. Unless if you enjoy watching terrible actors in cliched roles. I was so glad when Pete died. I would have gone mad watching that stupid grin, and useless one-liners for 2 hours. Please, if you're a fan of the Need for Speed games, avoid at all costs.
  30. Aug 25, 2014
    Not only is it a great way to hold yourself over until Fast & Furious 7 comes out, it's a good enough movie on it's own to compete with it. Filled with plenty of awesome races, action, and humor, as well as a great story with believable characters, you might not be able to find a better automotive-type movie like this one outside of the well-loved F&F series.

For me it succeeds first

For me it succeeds first and foremost thanks to it's awesome casting and character writing. Aaron Paul is awesome as the lead, Dominic Cooper makes for a great villain, and Michael Keaton's character is just crazy fun. The rest of the supporting cast (which includes an enjoyable Imogen Poots) are just as great with their characters. The brotherly love Paul's character shares with his friends is believable, making his motives feel natural.

The plot does have a familiar revenge tale that can lead to a lot of predictable moments with how things turn out, but the movie remains fun throughout. It does exactly what this type of movie should do; make you want to get behind the wheel and drive fast. In my eyes it manages to avoid the curse that most video games movies have fallen prey to, and that's completely sucking. It's a heck of a lot of fun and gives the F&F series a run for it's money. I give it an 8.5/10.
  31. LTR
    Aug 24, 2014
    This is an average racing film. The story is pretty good, the characters are some what interesting, the racing scenes are okay and is one of the better video game movies.
  32. Aug 23, 2014
    I liked it mostly because I always kept up with NFS series since it started and I liked the racing with exotic cars and muscle cars, the end was ok but that's it.
  33. Aug 18, 2014
    It's a car-movie. If you're complaining about a shallow story then you're looking in the wrong genre. Of course it was going to be a basic story-line, it's a movie on one of the games with the most ridiculous stories ever, what else did you expect??

Great action, great POV cams and nicer cars than what we've seen in a movie in quite a few years. I loved it.
  34. Aug 16, 2014
    At first I thought the movie is going to be terrible because critics didn't like it. But For Now, I like it. Car Races and Crashes, Really Amazing. Sound Mixing, Terrific. The Part where the guy was naked. Really Funny and a little bit Disturbing because it shows the guy's bottom. But Still, Terrific Movie Based on a Video Game.
  35. Aug 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not Bad at all... few funny moments - this movie is the first of it's kind, i honestly played one need for speed game on xbox years ago and it was enjoyable. i had no expectations for this film, and it turned out **** amazing! dark and gritty as **** like the way Little Pete goes out is just so brutal... this whole movie is just simply entertaining. thrilling, and pure adrenaline keeping the tone from the video games. this cinematographer/dp, Shane Hurlbut is amazing I love all the birds eye view shots! and a nod to the director, Scott Waugh for doing a fantastic job. Expand
  36. Aug 13, 2014
    This "movie" should be named: "NFS: The Advertisement of some super cars" Story is boring, action is also boring. Fast and Furious is 100x better the this "thing" You can watch this, but dont buy it! Its waste of money!
  37. Aug 13, 2014
    This was an awesome movie, I have idea what the critics are talking about or where they're coming from. Other then what seems to be a lack of life flowing through their veins on their part, to call this a boring move. Some of it did have some different acting compared to most of hollywoods block busters, is it worse i don't know, acting that diverts it's way from hollywoods standard oftenThis was an awesome movie, I have idea what the critics are talking about or where they're coming from. Other then what seems to be a lack of life flowing through their veins on their part, to call this a boring move. Some of it did have some different acting compared to most of hollywoods block busters, is it worse i don't know, acting that diverts it's way from hollywoods standard often seems more natural and relatable.. Personally i enjoyed every minute of it, with a good transition from story to action, i felt connected to the movie as if i could relate.. Many moments of it put me in an oh so comfortable nostalgic state where i could feel some of the good days i have seen through this movie, great movie! - Yeah the girl, i really enjoyed her character, she's smoking too!!

10/10 because i fell in love with her, other wise a 9/10.
  38. Aug 9, 2014
    Positives: Aaron Paul, great car racing scenes
    Negatives: Weak screenplay, major script problems
    Overview: Some really cool scenes with an actor I like, but some terrible dialogue and a lot of inconsistencies.
    Grade: C
  39. Aug 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a load of garbage. It had a few good scenes here and there but overall it was a horrible movie. Story is horrible, Tobey Marshall has no problems endangering other people in their street races but when his friend dies oh no its the end of the world wtf. Main actors (Aaron Paul) face looks like he just jumped out of some comedy and I just couldn't take him seriously. Actually the acting in general was very bad, well ok Michael Keaton did good playing Monarch. Expand
  40. Aug 4, 2014
    An OK movie with an OK story with very poor acting and dialogues ......................................................................................................................!
  41. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i am actually surprised that critics made the right judgment but the actual viewers **** up lol how can u give this movie anything higher than 4, directing was somewhat ok, actors omg they are soo ameture, u feel that they are acting all the time they never felt like pros or did a movie before except one of them i cant remember his name right now but he was in one of the fast and furious movies. anyways story was the best thing about the movie but acting and directing this movie totally ruined the story and entire movie. thank god i didnt go to movies for this garbage its barely worth 4.99, i was curious about it thats why i watched it. only good thing this movie is the cars and the sound thats about it rest is useless Expand
  42. Jul 29, 2014
    If Marvel turns their comic books into the movies and WWE with their men then why not EA. It was co-produced by EA with the other leading production houses. Nice move for the first step and well done overall. I am not into the computer games, but I was playing when I was young and 'NFS Most Wanted' is one of my favorites. No need to say any further that I was looking for this movie.

I

I thought the story will be borrowed straight from the game and move a level after another to the peak till the end commence. But what I saw was only the 5%, I mean only the introduction with lots of drama than what the title symbolizes. Because it is a business, a smart move by the production house. The idea is to split everything into at least for 4 to 5 movies in the series. Like what the final part of the Harry Potter's 'The Deathly Hallows' and The Twilight's 'Breaking Dawn' did. They are going to do it here from the very beginning, so don't expect like the Himalayas, especially if you are NFS MW freak.

Tobey Marshall, a custom car maker who is behind the loan takes up the street race challenge to make few bucks quick. But the race ends in a tragedy and locked behind the bars for someone's fault. After out of the prison he's raged to avenge. Now he needs a car, the faster one, so the story proceeds with his new adventures which involves cops pursuing him. But he set his mind that to make the real offender to pay for his crime. This road movie, which commence in New York and ends in San Francisco was told grandly.

‘‘The racers should race,
    cops should eat donuts.’’

No offense, but I did not like the lead guy, except him the rest were great. It is not fair to find defect in him to blame, actually he was good, but I expected someone good looking than him or existing young popular star. If you see in other franchises in the middle of the movie series they replacing with industry's giant and I won't surprise if that happens in the future for this. In the game we are the protagonists and to see him in our position I kind of find uncomfortable. Maybe it could have happened same to me if the other guys were in his place. So it is not the lead guy, but he's not anywhere near to me is the issue. Lol.

Overall movie is not one breathtaking entertainment. I liked the pieces of the movie, the scenes. There are a few great scenes that give excitement and pleasure. Commonly we see a computer hacker who hangs out with the movie's protagonist to assist in his expertise area. The same guy here was excellent who came up with extraordinary ideas, but not satisfied with what happens to him at the end. I could not believe this young and not-so-popular cast done the wonderful job. I don't know why I liked Imogen Poots a lot who even not had best shot from the movie, hopefully in a sequel she going to expose her physical strength for the stunts.

The first movie in a movie series is always very important & I don't know why they didn't go to complete the action-adventure pack with sufficient pace. To me the story was not pleased enough, but screen presentation with the game like the angle of the camera panning and all promised me to stick with it. There were no locations that are taken from the game except in one scene where the car jumps over the road. If you have played the game will know it what I am saying. The digital 3D was okay. What I learnt from this format is that only graphical movies either animated or live action are awesome to watch. The normal regular live shot movies are totally useless in digital 3D. In this movie the best effects came in those stunt sequences and rest were plain. So digital 3D is not that worth. The car movie that does not look like a where it belongs to. A decent one, hopefully the second movie could be what I am expecting. Better it should come up with something great or the franchise is going to fall in the pit. This movie is exclusively for youngsters & I see no reason for others to take interest on it.

7.5/10
  43. Jul 29, 2014
  44. Jul 25, 2014
    I personally loved it. I don't get the low rating of the movie. The first Fast and Furious was worst. I loved the fast cars and the adrenalin, and Aaron Paul is amazing , i think he's a great actor.
  45. Jul 24, 2014
    Really good movie, really good story, really good acting... Aaron Paul adopted that he is new star... Best movie ever in racing... Of course better than Fast and Furious film series, and in the end 10/10
  46. Jul 23, 2014
    The movie put up on the scene what is happening when you play the already famous game. Rivalry races , cops chases and a lot of crashes. Given that , it's a good movie , maybe not as good as Fast 2 Furious series , but it;s worth seeing it
  47. Jul 19, 2014
    Need for Speed is undeniably sleek and stylish, but those qualities are completely wasted on a disjointed script and ridiculous premise, leaving it not quite as well oiled as it cars.
  48. JcD
    Jul 17, 2014
    Playing the game since i was a kid, i'm happy to see that this was a good movie. I hope it will be part 2 also. Absolutely no comparison with fast and furious boredom.
  49. Jul 17, 2014
    The car scenes are nicely shot, paying a great deal of homage to the videogames. If only the screenplay hadn't been written by 4 years old douchebags and the acting wasn't only divided between "staring at a blank mirror" and "I can't relieve myself since a week but I'm gonna try right now" it might have not bored me to death.
  50. Jul 15, 2014
    Since when DrimWorks requests work on blockbusters to the cleaners?
    Say that the potential was huge - not to say anything. If successful, it was possible to create as many sequels that many films never dreamed of. But.
    Acting, scenario, camera work, music (sometimes it seems that it forgot to put in the film) - do not deserve the name of the famous series such as play. As for the
    Since when DrimWorks requests work on blockbusters to the cleaners?

As for the acting skills of the protagonist, the right director correctly adjusted it. But.
  51. Jul 14, 2014
    While you wouldn't expect a movie about illegal street racing, based on a video game to be very complicated the story and plot of Need for speed is so docile its hard to not cringe. I don't mind that its glorifying dangerous driving, but having the main character appear to be some sort of great guy while he nearly runs a bus full of children of the road is just bad writing. Ive played NFSWhile you wouldn't expect a movie about illegal street racing, based on a video game to be very complicated the story and plot of Need for speed is so docile its hard to not cringe. I don't mind that its glorifying dangerous driving, but having the main character appear to be some sort of great guy while he nearly runs a bus full of children of the road is just bad writing. Ive played NFS games for years and the movie has found some great locations that felt like they were out of the games and there is some great cars. But overall the action felt drab, with no coherency in plot and a ridiculous revenge story the francize should stick to games with no story. Expand
  52. May 26, 2014
    Need for speed delivers the high action racing scenes with very nice cars and some good dramatic tone but it lacks a good narrtitave ..it kind of feels like a average racing movie with nothing really added to the movie genre.
  53. lox
    May 19, 2014
    Need For Speed has exotic sports car eye-candy and an adequate lead from Aaron Paul going for it, but not much else thanks to an insipid script. Riddled with boring moments, an overused and annoying Michael Keaton, corny humor from Kid Cudi, methodical plot points, a few pointless camera shots, some unconvincing performances from the supporting cast, generic dialogue and unremarkable raceNeed For Speed has exotic sports car eye-candy and an adequate lead from Aaron Paul going for it, but not much else thanks to an insipid script. Riddled with boring moments, an overused and annoying Michael Keaton, corny humor from Kid Cudi, methodical plot points, a few pointless camera shots, some unconvincing performances from the supporting cast, generic dialogue and unremarkable race sequences, I was longing for it to end an hour in. A chore to sit through, Need For Speed and its two-dimensional characters left me relieved when it was over, not satisfied. Expand
  54. May 11, 2014
    The story in Need for Speed was excellent and well developed. The realism of the car crashes was part of the reason the movie was so great. You'll never get bored watching Need for Speed, with captivating romance and comedy. The action sequences are great, exciting and suspenseful. With such a well developed story and great cast, you would have to try to dislike this movie.

This movie

This movie has action, romance, and comedy tied together perfectly. Watch it with an open mind, you'll enjoy it.
  55. May 9, 2014
    Fun as hell, the dumbest plot I think I might have seen. If you love cars, and the sound of an engine this is your movie. Three races that pump adrenaline and take their time to start and finish, a ton of Highway driving and such as well, but this movie does such a great job catching street racing action that you will just lose yourself in this movies amazing racing scenes. Come for theFun as hell, the dumbest plot I think I might have seen. If you love cars, and the sound of an engine this is your movie. Three races that pump adrenaline and take their time to start and finish, a ton of Highway driving and such as well, but this movie does such a great job catching street racing action that you will just lose yourself in this movies amazing racing scenes. Come for the ride, stay for the drive. This movie has no plot, expect racing not thought, just engine. Expand
  56. May 9, 2014
    Hmm... Actually, those who says that this movie sucks, sucks... It's one of the best racing movies, I've ever watched... I'll b waiting for the return of need for speed... My score 10 is too less for this, I wished I could boost it up by 370km/h..
  57. May 6, 2014
    I don't understand why people complain about car's movies. We got something that doesn't fall in drugs/alcohol/sex/prohibition, and just bases on cars, just like NFS games. There are a lot of reference to the game, without falling in the fan service.
    I had a good time with this movie, no matter what are though people '' shocked '' because they saw two cars being in infraction.
  58. Apr 26, 2014
    Un bon film plutôt plaisant, et distrayant. Pas trop de prise de tête, ni de réflexion inutile, c'est un film à voir détendu. Il n'y a pas d'erreur flagrante de réalisation, les événements s'enchaînent bien et on a pas le temps de s'ennuyer. Et retrouver Aaron Paul après Breaking Bad était intéressant. Dans l'ensemble, c'est ce à quoi je m'attendais. Le bilan est très positif.
  59. Apr 22, 2014
    If you liked the game it means that you like the NFS Hot pursuit atmosphere. And this movie is just that! Unrealistic arcade drive with first person camera angle and hot cars you don't see every day on the street. Blowing cars and flying cops, tuned up with nice soundtrack would make you remember it's a Need For Speed movie. It's almost nothing more than that, but exactly what you'reIf you liked the game it means that you like the NFS Hot pursuit atmosphere. And this movie is just that! Unrealistic arcade drive with first person camera angle and hot cars you don't see every day on the street. Blowing cars and flying cops, tuned up with nice soundtrack would make you remember it's a Need For Speed movie. It's almost nothing more than that, but exactly what you're expecting from the title. Expand
  60. Apr 18, 2014
    Not a very well done racing movie. The one really positive thing I can say about this movie was Aaron Paul's acting was really well done. The race scenes were boring and really clichéd and didn't live up to the standards I was hoping for.
  61. Apr 18, 2014
    I honestly don't get the low rating of the movie. The movie was really good for me and it has to be one of my favorites. I am a fan of Fast and Furious, but I did my best not to compare. Its a movie about cars, and rivalry I guess. What more can a person ask for? The cast was perfect, and there were amazing cars in the movie. Sometimes people get too technical, and they look for negativeI honestly don't get the low rating of the movie. The movie was really good for me and it has to be one of my favorites. I am a fan of Fast and Furious, but I did my best not to compare. Its a movie about cars, and rivalry I guess. What more can a person ask for? The cast was perfect, and there were amazing cars in the movie. Sometimes people get too technical, and they look for negative things that shouldn't be looked upon in the first place. I would recommend this movie with no hesitation whatsoever. Expand
  62. Apr 9, 2014
    I think that Need for Speed is an action packed, non- stopped thrill ride about a street racer recently out of prison and out for revenge for childhood friend's death.
  63. Apr 8, 2014
    What made The Fast and the Furious an enjoyable film series is that it wasn't just about the fast cars, but the family that enjoyed them. Dom, Brian, Mia etc. Need for Speed is The Fast and the Furious without the family element, they try to portray it but you never get a feel for it since most of the movie involved being inside a car. The lacking in character development is the reason whyWhat made The Fast and the Furious an enjoyable film series is that it wasn't just about the fast cars, but the family that enjoyed them. Dom, Brian, Mia etc. Need for Speed is The Fast and the Furious without the family element, they try to portray it but you never get a feel for it since most of the movie involved being inside a car. The lacking in character development is the reason why the characters don't leave a lasting impression.
    But if you are a fan of the classic Need for Speed video games, you will know that it's all about running from the cops in the best car you can afford. If that's what you're after then this movie is for you. Overall, it is an enjoyable movie, so long as you're not asking for more than 132 mins of dazzle.
  64. Apr 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Need For Speed is an okay movie if you can get past some of the mistakes that were made. The movie is basically just a giant chase scene leading up to the big race. Even though the movie may seem to have some kind of character development, what is shown is all you know.
    For instance, there are multiple scenes where a pilot simply appears in a new plane or helicopter. He even shows up in an Apache helicopter, and nobody seems to care until after he helped the main characters out of a tough situation by lifting them away to safety using high strength cables.
    One of the biggest mistakes I noticed was THE WHOLE MOVIE!! Tobey introduces the idea of racing the Mustang that he finished into the biggest private race of the year. The final race is full of cars that hold world records for speed, acceleration, and agility. All of these cars can reach at least a top speed of 225. Tobey's car has a top speed of over 230, but can't accelerate, turn, or brake as fast as the others. It is almost as if the film crew filmed the last race first, then skipped to the beginning, then as they were 3/4 of the way through filming the scenes were the Mustang appears, they realize that the American muscle car is way to slow to race European super cars. So they go along and decide to destroy the Mustang so Tobey could find the car that killed one of his best friends, and race that car in the final scene. The Mustang is almost like a fill in car until they get to the important parts. However, the movie has its moments. The characters are archetypal, but surprisingly have some development throughout the movie considering this movie is a street racing movie. There was a lot of time and money put into this movie, and it shows. And yes, all of the cars were real, and were destroyed.
  65. Apr 2, 2014
    This move was a bad**** move because i went to the moves over and over because i like it that much. I F*******ing like it they should make the second one and 3 one.
  66. Apr 2, 2014
    This movie, is atrocious. I'm giving it the score of 1, and that is through sheer generosity. The acting is appauling. Aaron Paul deserves so much better than this trashy script. if I enjoyed anything, it'd be the chick. She was hot. Other than that, this movie, really is a 0/10. Cringeworthy.
  67. Apr 1, 2014
    How many people will be killed on the highways because of the release of yet another movie of this type?
    When the late, not great, Paul Walker and Vin Diesel series of films came out years back there was clearly a pickup in wannabes doing 100 mph multiple lane changes, etc. all over the country, particularly here in CA. We saw it every time we drove on the Freeways here. It had died down gradually in recent years...but no doubt it will be back with a vengeance now that another movie is out there to overstimulate a fresh batch of video game numbed miscreants. Oh, well, thousands of innocents will die but, hey, that's not the producers problem, right? (Unless he or his loved ones drives on the freeways!).
  68. Mar 31, 2014
    This movie is okay. Is don,t a big movie is a slow movie whit so few acción. This is a copy of fast and furiosos if you think that this movie is gonna be incredible you are bad, this movie is decepcionaly from an a video game adaptation. This movie it's to stay whit FRIENDS but you say is SO BAD, and This movie is dont good.
  69. Mar 30, 2014
    imagine if Fast and Furious wasn't as good as it is. That's Need For Speed. It's not atrocious per se but it's still far from good. Writing, acting, directing, special effects, nothing is exemplary in the slightest.
  70. Mar 27, 2014
    Another video game adaptation done wrong. As a fan of the franchise, it's like they took the good parts from the games, and make stuff up as they go along. Some of the games have a plot, most of it consists of racing. Just from the poster, it looks like a Fast and the Furious knock off. It's plot is uninteresting, the characters are unlikeable and flat, the writing is beyond lazy, and theAnother video game adaptation done wrong. As a fan of the franchise, it's like they took the good parts from the games, and make stuff up as they go along. Some of the games have a plot, most of it consists of racing. Just from the poster, it looks like a Fast and the Furious knock off. It's plot is uninteresting, the characters are unlikeable and flat, the writing is beyond lazy, and the racing scenes are boring. you'll be better off watching Bullitt, Ronin, Death Race 2000, or better yet play the Need For Speed video games. They're more entertaining than this unfinished demo reel. Expand
  71. Mar 26, 2014
    Great movie! Certainly better than all the other racing movies I've seen.

The story is acceptable, the actors are very good (didn't expect less than amazing from Aaron Paul anyway) and the action scenes are marvelous.

Granted, if you compare it to the all-time masterpieces you might give it a 4, however compared to its genre and to other releases of the same type, I'd definitely give it a 9.
  72. Mar 26, 2014
    A movie that keeps you at the edge of your seat and at times quiver with excitement, the “Need for Speed” movie is full of adrenaline with a slight tinge of comedy. It’s a movie for all car lovers featuring various hyper cars. Convicted for a crime he did not commit, Tobey Marshall (Aaron Paul), gets out of jail to hunt down the person who actually committed the crime. From the high speedA movie that keeps you at the edge of your seat and at times quiver with excitement, the “Need for Speed” movie is full of adrenaline with a slight tinge of comedy. It’s a movie for all car lovers featuring various hyper cars. Convicted for a crime he did not commit, Tobey Marshall (Aaron Paul), gets out of jail to hunt down the person who actually committed the crime. From the high speed racing to the crashes shown in the driver’s point of view, I loved it all. I am always interested in car movies but this one was one of its kind. This movie is based on the game by EA, “Need for Speed”. Expand
  73. Mar 26, 2014
    I played NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 for many an hour, many a year ago, and if the filmmakers' intent was to create a tribute to the game, they did a hell of a job. The action sequences are pretty spectacular, and the male/female leads get the job done. Aaron Paul may well be the modern answer to the Perfect Weapon, Jeff Speakman, but he'll never beat out Jason Statham and the other A or B-listI played NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 for many an hour, many a year ago, and if the filmmakers' intent was to create a tribute to the game, they did a hell of a job. The action sequences are pretty spectacular, and the male/female leads get the job done. Aaron Paul may well be the modern answer to the Perfect Weapon, Jeff Speakman, but he'll never beat out Jason Statham and the other A or B-list action heroes for roles. But he's good enough. With moderated expectations, I had a great time with this movie. Expand
  74. Mar 25, 2014
    If you're expecting fast cars, amazing chase scenes, big crashes, crazy stunts, and a cute sidekick girl who may just fall for the bad boy, this is your movie. If you're expecting innovative plots and cool character development, forget it. NFS is a joyride in stunt movie-making. Thrilling, exciting, and fun, this movie delivers more octane than some other movies of it's genre. If you'reIf you're expecting fast cars, amazing chase scenes, big crashes, crazy stunts, and a cute sidekick girl who may just fall for the bad boy, this is your movie. If you're expecting innovative plots and cool character development, forget it. NFS is a joyride in stunt movie-making. Thrilling, exciting, and fun, this movie delivers more octane than some other movies of it's genre. If you're looking to feel young and don't expect much out of this movie, you'll like it. It's not a stinker, but being a predictable plot and the characters being cardboard, it won't win awards. But boy it was fun. Expand
  75. Mar 25, 2014
    i'm not the biggest fan of cars but i am a sucker for video game movie adaptations, i felt that this was a really good movie that i found easy to follow with a lot of loveable characters in it. it had a deeper story than i was expected, although i found it to be a bit predictable at times as well. But in the end, all of the driving sequences looked great, and satisfied my need for speedy movies.
  76. Mar 23, 2014
    If you are a Hollywood snob then I am sure you can find many faults with any movie. In my opinion, these people need to stop reviewing movies as most of us don't care if they stand up to what their college professor told them should be in a movie.

If you're like me and go to the movies to have a good time, this one delivers. The action is great, the storyline is engaging, the acting believable and satisfying. There is no nudity (well, one guy butt but it's a comedy piece), minimal swearing and no blood.

I took my 8 and 11 year olds to see it and we had a blast, not once did I worry that any part was too adult for them.

Aaron Paul (Jesse Pinkman) is really great and I was happy to see him in something besides breaking bad. Hopefully the start to a long career for him and everyone else who worked hard on the movie. Also, the end is straight out of a Need For Speed video game, it was just tremendous fun!
  77. Mar 23, 2014
    What producers have against supervisory script? Is it so bad read it and who wrote it have to do something decent? Or better, send the director to stop putting shameful and unimportant scenes? Or even to ask where I was thinking when I gave someone money to do this? Hollywood Why Why? making a film with a weak story, useless, shameful stereotypical characters and actors more shamefulWhat producers have against supervisory script? Is it so bad read it and who wrote it have to do something decent? Or better, send the director to stop putting shameful and unimportant scenes? Or even to ask where I was thinking when I gave someone money to do this? Hollywood Why Why? making a film with a weak story, useless, shameful stereotypical characters and actors more shameful still, except for Aaron Paul, and how flashy single chase scenes potent cloying but soon will not bring money or fame only attestations of decay. Expand
  78. Mar 23, 2014
    Come on, you guys. You were a little too harsh on this one. In no way is it a revolutionary start for awesome video game movies or Aaron Paul acting in theatre, but its still exactly what you want out of action movies. Great violence (God, that sounded cruel), little bit of humor, good acting, and fast cars. Now that sounds like some fun to me, and of course it's in this movie. The biggestCome on, you guys. You were a little too harsh on this one. In no way is it a revolutionary start for awesome video game movies or Aaron Paul acting in theatre, but its still exactly what you want out of action movies. Great violence (God, that sounded cruel), little bit of humor, good acting, and fast cars. Now that sounds like some fun to me, and of course it's in this movie. The biggest problem is that it's just nothing new and has many cliches. Let's talk about the biggest attraction first: Aaron Paul. He's just as good as he should be, and his love interest is tied up with him. Supporting cast? Nothing more than good. Is it too similiar to Fast and Furious? Some elements are taken straight out of it, but it still feels like Need for Speed very much. The action here is what you'd expect. Cars get damaged and or blown up, but it's introduced amazingly, both looks and awesomeness. The cliche? One of the biggest themes is "oh I need to get payback on this guy for killing my friend let's go". Hate it? So do I. Yet, I still enjoyed this flick and walked out thinking it was good. Expand
  79. Mar 22, 2014
    This movie was better than alright. Not quite "good" though.
    The good: Aaron Paul. He's got a lot of stupid lines to deliver in this movie, but with his subtle tormented acting style not one of them comes off sounding cheesy or forced. That he can make such terrible writing sound organic is worthy of some kind of award.
    Imogen Poots. She is a believable person and real sparks are
    This movie was better than alright. Not quite "good" though.
    Imogen Poots. She is a believable person and real sparks are bouncing between her and Aaron Paul, even if her character is completely ridiculous. If only I had a friend who would pay me 3 million dollars to build an uber car and then be willing to loan the finished product back to me!
    The bad: The plot. It was so predictable it may even have been ripped off from another racing movie. Don't get me wrong. There are individual pieces of it that are good. The part in the convince store for instance. That sequence is, in itself, quite effective. And there are other bits of the film like that. Its that the over-arching plot is so dumb and predictable. The villain is so bland and one dimensional I don't even recall his name. He was just rich douche in leather coat. Its refreshing the main character has an entire team of people helping him race, but not one of them is memorable or really original. Or likable for that matter. We are supposed to accept that these monkeys are car mechanic/support crew extraordinaire and I don't even think we ever see one of them so much as holding a wrench. Probably because it would look so unnatural.

The ugly: Car wrecks! Car wrecks everywhere! OK this is a reason to see the film. Unlike the Fast and the Furious franchise Need For Speed was shot with a minimum of CGI special effects. They used as many conventional effects as they could pull off. And you can tell. When a window gets smashed for a scene the stunt glass is still there in the next. Still looking real. The car crashes, with one fireball exception, all look real. Vehicle damage and driving physics is believable and consistent throughout. And the world it is set in. Its not sanitized in the way Fast and Furious has become. When they force a car to run into the ditch because they are doing something very illegal, speeding the wrong way down a freeway for instance, you get the feeling whoever was in that car got hurt.
    You very much get the sensation in this film that the cops are not just bitter old men trying to stop fun, but rather actually trying to protect the public from the colossal amount of damage these street racers cause.
    Basically it comes down to this. If you are a big fan of car chase and car racing films then you can't miss out on this gem. If you are looking for something with character development and a plot that makes sense, you can find more of that in a single episode of Braking Bad. You're better off watching that.
  80. Mar 21, 2014
    Not as fun as it wants to be, Though I have to admit it has a lot of really well done action sequences, And one of the best street racing sequences you will ever see
  81. Mar 21, 2014
    If im going to say one thing its this, Fast and Furious has a fight now and its already loosing in this one movie there is more police chases more racing and much much higher speeds despite the fact that the race at the end may have been biased towards a specific car, but finally a story that means something. I hope though that they don't crap on this by making a sequel.
  82. Mar 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't see why this movie has a score of 40. If one has half a brain, they will clearly see the developed plot throughout the film. Car fans, this is the movie for us. Speed, fire, smoke, drifts, crashes, etc. There isn't any set of words that describe how fantastic this movie is.
    10/10 will purchase.
  83. Mar 21, 2014
    I'm a little shocked that so many critics slammed this movie. It's actually quite a lot of fun and the female lead is spectacularly beautiful. See it on the big screen or don't see it all.
  84. Mar 21, 2014
    Aaron Paul sells out in his first major role since "Breaking Bad," but maybe it takes a strong actor like him to carry off this predictable story and these obvious emotions. He plays a wrongfully accused street racer who speeds across country to compete in an absurd competition. Along the way, there's plenty of fast driving, but little of it shows off fancy direction. Some of the crashesAaron Paul sells out in his first major role since "Breaking Bad," but maybe it takes a strong actor like him to carry off this predictable story and these obvious emotions. He plays a wrongfully accused street racer who speeds across country to compete in an absurd competition. Along the way, there's plenty of fast driving, but little of it shows off fancy direction. Some of the crashes are spectacular and there's one stunt that's impressive. Even though the cast is enjoyable, the writing is simply painful and the action isn't strong enough to put it in the fast lane. Expand
  85. Mar 21, 2014
    Need For Speed is a excellent movie... Critics claim that the movie's scenes make them feel emotions, and that is why they give it low ratings - HOWEVER that is the goal of the writers, producers and directors of all movies. And now that Need For Speed has succeeded to do so to many reviewers, they complain about it. For me, it's a good thing that emotions are manipulated by the actors'Need For Speed is a excellent movie... Critics claim that the movie's scenes make them feel emotions, and that is why they give it low ratings - HOWEVER that is the goal of the writers, producers and directors of all movies. And now that Need For Speed has succeeded to do so to many reviewers, they complain about it. For me, it's a good thing that emotions are manipulated by the actors' work. And most who complain about the 'brutality' of some scenes (personally I didn't regard them as brutal, but that's just my opinion) are forgetting that - It's only a movie! A great movie at that! Watch the movie, enjoy and write about your opinion.... Just look at the user score vs critic score! Expand
  86. Mar 18, 2014
    Esta reseña es para los verdaderos fans (dueños o no) de los autos.

Esta reseña es para los verdaderos fans (dueños o no) de los autos.

Fuí a ver Need for Speed, en el mar de estupidez que dejo convertido, Fast Five (FF saga), el género de autos y racing en el cine. (Ok, no existe tal cosa como género, pero digamos que sutilmente está presente). Y me encontré con una película, producida con el ojo maldito-bendito de Electronic Arts. Un ojo que produce un icono del racing en los VG y que llevan haciéndolo desde hace muchísimo tiempo. Esto por su puesto me encantó, y ahora les diré por qué.

1.- Aterrizaron una realidad.

Dejaron claro que las carreras en calles citadinas no van a cientos de kilómetros por hora, en su defecto dejaron las tomas de falsa velocidad y optaron por jugar con otro tipo de encuadre que permite lucir de forma delicada lo difícil e interesante que es una carrera de baja o media velocidad. Las cámaras no le hacen justicia a la velocidad, pero preferible la realidad y buenos encuadres que una exageración de efectos que dejen al publico más bobo de lo que está en lugar de educarlos con el ejemplo.

Por cierto, y esto me encantó; dejaron claro que el mundo oscuro de las carreras de este tipo ni hay mujeres en paños menores moviendo el culo con canciones de regueton, ni hay los cientos de tipos extremadamente ricos aventando dinero. Sería una falta de educación reproducir lo mismo que F&F.

2.- Los autos.

Si bien nos deleitan con clásicos muscle cars en la primer carrera, la película va introduciendo de forma gradual y sutil, los autos que nos emocionan, y más saber en que forma los dejan verse. Tener 6 de los mejores autos de gama millonaria y colocar entre ellos a Veyron y Sesto Elemento fue no solo una buena razón para verla si no un muy buen acierto al dejar los pilotos con sus respectivos autos en la película. Al verla me darán la razón. El fanfarrón siempre usa el auto con mayor posibilidad de vencer, por que no es lo suficientemente talentoso.

3.- La pasión.

La forma de ver la película solo se puede digerir si uno ha experimentado antes la velocidad. Esto es por que muchas de las maniobras que se ejecutan podrían ser sencillas a la vista pero son un implacable golpe de emoción para quien comprende la complejidad y riesgo (a pesar de ser una película) que conlleva realizarlas.

Insisto, la verdadera pasión por la velocidad esta representada en la película, desde el personaje principal, hasta la ultima carrera, que se vuelve de las escenas más memorables que el género ha visto.
    4.- Need For Speed.

Si usted conoce de Need for Speed y los ha jugado a lo largo de su evolución le puedo decir: Me sentí en Need for Speed, sentí las situaciones, la susceptibilidad de un auto a gran velocidad de ser destruido por una infinidad de razones. Es Need for Speed, es una película digna del Videogame.

5.- Suficiente.

La película tiene la narrativa y situaciones lo suficientemente atractivos y bien realizados que no se necesitaron tanques, capos de la droga y demás para exponer de forma magistral el género racing. Al principio, tenemos un leve plano que desaparece pronto y permite a la trama desenvolverse, solo es un momento en que la película es plana.

Calificación 9.0

Es la película que el género necesitaba, después de los documentales Senna y KAZ, el racing es un género atípico que cualquiera puede profanar, pero pocos han podido generar marca entre los fans. Estamos frente a un ejemplo de esto. Ahora solo nos queda esperar a Gran Turismo.

¿Por que 9 y no 10?
    Aaron Paul crece como actor pero se necesita más que eso para creer que puede conducir así.

No vimos modelos asiáticos. Pero eso también puede significar que la siguiente película los incluirá; esperemos que haya segunda película con trama y personajes diferentes.

Al parecer se concentraron en la producción y mezcla del soundFX que olvidaron que la banda sonora es muy importante y solo tiene un par de brillos en la película.
  87. Mar 18, 2014
    This movie was made to the gamers, and this deserve my respect. I wasn't expecting a good one, but Dreamworks shows more than just good cars and a fast climax. It's a very simple history, but I love it.
  88. Mar 18, 2014
    If you want to see a movie about Mustangs, then this is definitely for you. If you were hoping for interesting races with a diverse range of cars, then you'll be disappointed.
  89. Mar 17, 2014
    Going into this film I didn't expect much other than Aaron Paul to be honest. Being a huge Breaking Bad fan I wanted to see these actors go into other projects and see how they do, Need for Speed however was a wasted potential. With generic characters, and a bland story not even the cars could save this train wreck of a racing movie. The only thing that I found remotely interesting aboutGoing into this film I didn't expect much other than Aaron Paul to be honest. Being a huge Breaking Bad fan I wanted to see these actors go into other projects and see how they do, Need for Speed however was a wasted potential. With generic characters, and a bland story not even the cars could save this train wreck of a racing movie. The only thing that I found remotely interesting about it is well... the car chases and even then the movie was boring and un-stylized. Expand
  90. Mar 17, 2014
    This movie was probably the most morally challenged flick I have seen in quite a while. I had a hard time getting past the total disregard for other motorist safety. This movie seemed to glorify causing harm and/or property damage to others. I Love a good action movie unfortunately, this one was devoid of any common sense or any real story line. Really Disappointing.
  91. Mar 17, 2014
    Best Breaking Bad sequel. Just amazing. As Jessie Pinkman returns to becoming a Meth addict, Walter White gets resurrected from the dead as they both take over the Meth industry.
  92. RiZ
    Mar 16, 2014
    Awesome movie! I love F&F, but NFS much better. Why? Only cars, beautiful driving and effect of the presence, thats why. I'm a big fan of NFS video game series, and i saw many references and fan base in movie. Amazing and accurate actors play, human qualities and whole movie duration keeps us in suspense. Also very cool filmed, amazing views and angles, amazing sounds. I'm sure, that movieAwesome movie! I love F&F, but NFS much better. Why? Only cars, beautiful driving and effect of the presence, thats why. I'm a big fan of NFS video game series, and i saw many references and fan base in movie. Amazing and accurate actors play, human qualities and whole movie duration keeps us in suspense. Also very cool filmed, amazing views and angles, amazing sounds. I'm sure, that movie will be legendary also like classic "gone in 60 seconds", "vanishing point" and "Smokey and the Bandit" (Pontiac Firebird in NFS movie is great moment)) NFS movie - Live Legend. All in the best traditions and canons NFS series.
    P.S.: F&F? Whats is?

10 of 10.
  93. Mar 16, 2014
    is the best racing movie that i have seen before like fast an furious 1 ,2,3 the others aren't racing need for speed is more realistic i liked very much
  94. Mar 16, 2014
    I had no problem watching it. Aaron Paul was good, Imogen Poots was good, the rest of the cast sucked, but you shouldn't go to this movie for the acting. My problem with the stuns is that I found them intense and a bit disturbing rather than entertaining. They're so realistic that it seems brutal when they occur. Overall, a perfectly decent movie to pass the time til May.
  95. Mar 16, 2014
    Esto es una verdadera pena, lo que pensamos que era un actor en una carrera bastante provocativa se convierte en algo que el dinero puede corromper fácilmente y resulta que el actor Aaron Paul desperdicia talento en esta película, aparte que todos ya sabemos que la química entre personajes masculinos vacíos y autos lindos es una verdadera estupidez y nunca funciona, también cabe mencionarEsto es una verdadera pena, lo que pensamos que era un actor en una carrera bastante provocativa se convierte en algo que el dinero puede corromper fácilmente y resulta que el actor Aaron Paul desperdicia talento en esta película, aparte que todos ya sabemos que la química entre personajes masculinos vacíos y autos lindos es una verdadera estupidez y nunca funciona, también cabe mencionar que "La ley de Murphy" dice que las películas basadas en videojuegos nunca son ni van a ser buenas; obviamente Need for Speed no es una excepción. Expand
  96. Mar 16, 2014
    It's a shame this film waste such a talent that is Aaron Paul after his performance in one of the greatest TV dramas of all time, Breaking Bad. Videos games don't make great films because it's hard to transform a game (especially one that's all about the gameplay like NFS in this case) into a film with a coherent story. Even games with a brilliant storyline (FF) have been unsuccessful inIt's a shame this film waste such a talent that is Aaron Paul after his performance in one of the greatest TV dramas of all time, Breaking Bad. Videos games don't make great films because it's hard to transform a game (especially one that's all about the gameplay like NFS in this case) into a film with a coherent story. Even games with a brilliant storyline (FF) have been unsuccessful in films. I still have high hopes that one day, there will be a good video game adaptation. I heard they're going to adapt AC and TLoU (mostly story-based games) but adapting NFS is like adapting Bejeweled as NFS has never been about story or characters.

I knew this film was going to be bad from the beginning and it's not just because of the "video game adaptations make bad films" trend but because the execution is pure F&F, all sexy sport cars but little on the substances. Alas, and unfortunately, my predictions were right. I've seen far too many movies that I can tell if a film is going to be bad or good just by watching the trailer. NFS film gave away everything in the trailer, and that's always a bad sign. I decided to watch this film anyway, just for Aaron Paul.

The plot is ridiculous, getting revenge on a guy who killed his friend and then framing him (ending up in prison for 2 years) by racing in a cross-country competition against the guy. That's all there is to it plot wise and guess what happens in the end? I won't spoil it for ya but this is as thin as the plot can get and the form of revenge is just so stupid. It would be less nonsensical if he went after and kill the guy but of course, this is a NFS film. Still, you can come up with a better plot that also showcases the film's action sequences and set pieces.

There is very little characterization as there are barely anything we know about the characters except that they all love fast cars. There is no story for any of the characters making them just as stock and cliche like many action movies; one good guy, one bad guy and one girl. It follows a tight formula without making the characters any different than we've seen before.

Although there are a couple of decent action scenes and the cast were strong, there is very little writing and that's precisely the problem with this movie. It doesn't have to be an Oscar winning movie, but a movie about fast cars should be distinct (something F&F have only, and surprisingly, done in their last two movies) because there are far too many of them with the F&F being the most popular. It's a video game adaptation and in no way is this movie a F&F rip-off but because of the execution, it definitely comes off as one. I give it a 2 just for Aaron Paul but no actor could have saved this movie from being a wreck.
  97. Mar 16, 2014
    For real just ignore all the bad reviews, if you like fast cars, if you like racing movies, if you like the Fast and Furious movies or if you are a fan of the the Need for Speed games you will really have a good time seeing this movie. I loved it, I didnt care if story isnt the best, or that the cast besides Aaron Paul is not the best, I enjoyed the ride, the races and stunts are reallyFor real just ignore all the bad reviews, if you like fast cars, if you like racing movies, if you like the Fast and Furious movies or if you are a fan of the the Need for Speed games you will really have a good time seeing this movie. I loved it, I didnt care if story isnt the best, or that the cast besides Aaron Paul is not the best, I enjoyed the ride, the races and stunts are really awesome and realistic without CGI, I was impressed !

Its an awesome movie
  98. Mar 16, 2014
    Need for Speed was one of the single best movies I have ever seen. It was pretty stupid, I'm not going to lie, but it was the best type of stupid. May have surpassed Deep Blue Sea as my favorite guilty pleasure movie
  99. Mar 16, 2014
    it's an awesome move!! I liked it more than FF. overall it was an awesome one of 2014 until now. Enjoyed it a lot......................................
  100. Mar 16, 2014
    Need for speed has to me at least, everything heart-pounding action from my beloved games ,a great emotional tale ,excellent performances (especially from Michael Keaton and Aaron Paul),a great cast with a funny chemistry,excellent soundtrack ,great sound design ,you can feel like you are there ,you are in the front seat,the director Scott Waugh didn't lie when he pormised us about a tripNeed for speed has to me at least, everything heart-pounding action from my beloved games ,a great emotional tale ,excellent performances (especially from Michael Keaton and Aaron Paul),a great cast with a funny chemistry,excellent soundtrack ,great sound design ,you can feel like you are there ,you are in the front seat,the director Scott Waugh didn't lie when he pormised us about a trip so fast and incredible ,we wouldn't forget it,honestly the last race had me sweating, shaking in pure exhiliration something that i haven't experinced in a long time from movies.I also think that critics have forgotten how to have fun with these kind of movies,they are wayy too blinded with fast and furious.But need for speed is everything the first fast and furious should have been a crazy ,fun ride with underrated but great actors,Aaron Paul owns his role and he is definetely an incredible actor,who should be in more movies like this,the last race is not only intense but also very nostalgic to the games,where cops start using spike-strips ,roadblocks ,helicopters ,it surely reminds you of the games(mostly nfs rivals and nfs the run).

but yeah i loved this movie as a big fan of the nfs series and Aaron Paul and Michael Keaton,this is the best videogame-to-movie adaptation out there,if you want to see some great action ,stunts and actors this movie definetely deserves your attention.

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    Need For Speed is several different movies at once, and most of them are very stupid.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 17, 2014
    Subtle it isn't. But the entertainment rev counter more or less keeps turning over.
  3. Reviewed by: James Dyer
    Mar 17, 2014
    Less a three-lane pile-up than a minor traffic violation in a residential area. Three points for Waugh, then, and a £60 fine.