Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: March 14, 2014
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 456 Ratings
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeFeb 23, 2016
This movie doesn't need the speed. It already got the speed taken from several other racing movies instead of taking it from the video games that adapted this movie. This movie makes the video games look bad.
TVJerryMar 21, 2014
Aaron Paul sells out in his first major role since "Breaking Bad," but maybe it takes a strong actor like him to carry off this predictable story and these obvious emotions. He plays a wrongfully accused street racer who speeds across countryAaron Paul sells out in his first major role since "Breaking Bad," but maybe it takes a strong actor like him to carry off this predictable story and these obvious emotions. He plays a wrongfully accused street racer who speeds across country to compete in an absurd competition. Along the way, there's plenty of fast driving, but little of it shows off fancy direction. Some of the crashes are spectacular and there's one stunt that's impressive. Even though the cast is enjoyable, the writing is simply painful and the action isn't strong enough to put it in the fast lane. Expand
TheQuietGamerAug 25, 2014
Not only is it a great way to hold yourself over until Fast & Furious 7 comes out, it's a good enough movie on it's own to compete with it. Filled with plenty of awesome races, action, and humor, as well as a great story with believableNot only is it a great way to hold yourself over until Fast & Furious 7 comes out, it's a good enough movie on it's own to compete with it. Filled with plenty of awesome races, action, and humor, as well as a great story with believable characters, you might not be able to find a better automotive-type movie like this one outside of the well-loved F&F series.

For me it succeeds first and foremost thanks to it's awesome casting and character writing. Aaron Paul is awesome as the lead, Dominic Cooper makes for a great villain, and Michael Keaton's character is just crazy fun. The rest of the supporting cast (which includes an enjoyable Imogen Poots) are just as great with their characters. The brotherly love Paul's character shares with his friends is believable, making his motives feel natural.

The plot does have a familiar revenge tale that can lead to a lot of predictable moments with how things turn out, but the movie remains fun throughout. It does exactly what this type of movie should do; make you want to get behind the wheel and drive fast. In my eyes it manages to avoid the curse that most video games movies have fallen prey to, and that's completely sucking. It's a heck of a lot of fun and gives the F&F series a run for it's money. I give it an 8.5/10.
LeZeeJul 29, 2014
If Marvel turns their comic books into the movies and WWE with their men then why not EA. It was co-produced by EA with the other leading production houses. Nice move for the first step and well done overall. I am not into the computer games,If Marvel turns their comic books into the movies and WWE with their men then why not EA. It was co-produced by EA with the other leading production houses. Nice move for the first step and well done overall. I am not into the computer games, but I was playing when I was young and 'NFS Most Wanted' is one of my favorites. No need to say any further that I was looking for this movie.

I thought the story will be borrowed straight from the game and move a level after another to the peak till the end commence. But what I saw was only the 5%, I mean only the introduction with lots of drama than what the title symbolizes. Because it is a business, a smart move by the production house. The idea is to split everything into at least for 4 to 5 movies in the series. Like what the final part of the Harry Potter's 'The Deathly Hallows' and The Twilight's 'Breaking Dawn' did. They are going to do it here from the very beginning, so don't expect like the Himalayas, especially if you are NFS MW freak.

Tobey Marshall, a custom car maker who is behind the loan takes up the street race challenge to make few bucks quick. But the race ends in a tragedy and locked behind the bars for someone's fault. After out of the prison he's raged to avenge. Now he needs a car, the faster one, so the story proceeds with his new adventures which involves cops pursuing him. But he set his mind that to make the real offender to pay for his crime. This road movie, which commence in New York and ends in San Francisco was told grandly.

‘‘The racers should race,
cops should eat donuts.’’

No offense, but I did not like the lead guy, except him the rest were great. It is not fair to find defect in him to blame, actually he was good, but I expected someone good looking than him or existing young popular star. If you see in other franchises in the middle of the movie series they replacing with industry's giant and I won't surprise if that happens in the future for this. In the game we are the protagonists and to see him in our position I kind of find uncomfortable. Maybe it could have happened same to me if the other guys were in his place. So it is not the lead guy, but he's not anywhere near to me is the issue. Lol.

Overall movie is not one breathtaking entertainment. I liked the pieces of the movie, the scenes. There are a few great scenes that give excitement and pleasure. Commonly we see a computer hacker who hangs out with the movie's protagonist to assist in his expertise area. The same guy here was excellent who came up with extraordinary ideas, but not satisfied with what happens to him at the end. I could not believe this young and not-so-popular cast done the wonderful job. I don't know why I liked Imogen Poots a lot who even not had best shot from the movie, hopefully in a sequel she going to expose her physical strength for the stunts.

The first movie in a movie series is always very important & I don't know why they didn't go to complete the action-adventure pack with sufficient pace. To me the story was not pleased enough, but screen presentation with the game like the angle of the camera panning and all promised me to stick with it. There were no locations that are taken from the game except in one scene where the car jumps over the road. If you have played the game will know it what I am saying. The digital 3D was okay. What I learnt from this format is that only graphical movies either animated or live action are awesome to watch. The normal regular live shot movies are totally useless in digital 3D. In this movie the best effects came in those stunt sequences and rest were plain. So digital 3D is not that worth. The car movie that does not look like a where it belongs to. A decent one, hopefully the second movie could be what I am expecting. Better it should come up with something great or the franchise is going to fall in the pit. This movie is exclusively for youngsters & I see no reason for others to take interest on it.

7.5/10
BrianMcCriticAug 9, 2014
Positives: Aaron Paul, great car racing scenes
Negatives: Weak screenplay, major script problems
Overview: Some really cool scenes with an actor I like, but some terrible dialogue and a lot of inconsistencies.
Grade: C
ThegodfathersonMar 14, 2014
Need for Speed is a dumb movie, and not a dumb fun one. As far as video game movies go, Need for Speed is certainly not an unwatchable turd like Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li. That's because it's really less a video game movie than it isNeed for Speed is a dumb movie, and not a dumb fun one. As far as video game movies go, Need for Speed is certainly not an unwatchable turd like Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li. That's because it's really less a video game movie than it is the next Torque or Biker Boyz. So it looks like it's up to Warcraft to be the video game movie that could finally elevate the genre. Despite all the automotive eye candy and action movie elements, Need for Speed never provides the viewer with a sense of escape or abandon. It doesn't make you want to buy the game or go racing out of the cinema parking lot lost in some lead foot fantasy. It makes you want to buy a Volvo and drive 35mph. Expand
MarcDoyleMar 26, 2014
I played NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 for many an hour, many a year ago, and if the filmmakers' intent was to create a tribute to the game, they did a hell of a job. The action sequences are pretty spectacular, and the male/female leads get the jobI played NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 for many an hour, many a year ago, and if the filmmakers' intent was to create a tribute to the game, they did a hell of a job. The action sequences are pretty spectacular, and the male/female leads get the job done. Aaron Paul may well be the modern answer to the Perfect Weapon, Jeff Speakman, but he'll never beat out Jason Statham and the other A or B-list action heroes for roles. But he's good enough. With moderated expectations, I had a great time with this movie. Expand
eagleeyevikingJul 29, 2014
Need for Speed provides a decent amount of entertainment but unfortunately, in terms of plot, characters and action set pieces, this one need some refueling.
Movie1997Mar 15, 2014
I was really looking forward to this action-packed adventure, mainly because of Aaron Paul! Ever since "Breaking Bad" ended, I've been waiting to see each of those actors see what they could do on the big screen. And still, I received a greatI was really looking forward to this action-packed adventure, mainly because of Aaron Paul! Ever since "Breaking Bad" ended, I've been waiting to see each of those actors see what they could do on the big screen. And still, I received a great Aaron Paul performance, but not enough of a good movie. "Need For Speed" is a murky action movie with a lame and cliched story and an often murky screenplay. The acting from pretty much everyone else in the movie didn't even stand a chance in comparison to Aaron Paul and even Michael Keaton. The chemistry from the main cast didn't work. They looked like they had fun playing off each other, but there was no spark between any of them; with the exception of Aaron Paul and Imogen Poots. The chemistry between actually and surprisingly worked. Even though their relationship is cliched, you end up buying it. Overall, "Need For Speed" is a disappointing action-thrill ride that only presents great action and Aaron Paul, but essentially fails at everything else. I give it a C! Expand
NerdConsultantJan 4, 2015
Yep its another awful live action adaptation of a video game. What a surprise. I actually thought this film was going to be genuinely good when I saw Aaron Paul’s interview on Top Gear. He promoted this film like it was going to be likeYep its another awful live action adaptation of a video game. What a surprise. I actually thought this film was going to be genuinely good when I saw Aaron Paul’s interview on Top Gear. He promoted this film like it was going to be like one of the classic car films such as Bullet and Vanishing Point, but what it is, is an un-inspired waste of time. For a film called Need for Speed, this films pacing is slow as hell. Aaron Paul and Dominic Cooper are completely wasted and while it’s admirable that the film is using actual cars rather than CGI, it makes the destruction scenes of very expensive (near £200,000) cars seem even more wasteful and given the way the economy is going at the minute that may not be the best way to go, as your audience have paid a lot of money at the cinema to see this. Couple that with a story that tries to combine the plot of too many games in a short space of time and you have pure pain. Don’t see this one, it’s a waste of time. Expand
diogomendesDec 9, 2014
Need for Speed is ah… bad. I think that was expect, seeing all films based on videogames received poor reviews from film critics (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Tomb Raider). This is no exception. It’s noisy, blandly directedNeed for Speed is ah… bad. I think that was expect, seeing all films based on videogames received poor reviews from film critics (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Tomb Raider). This is no exception. It’s noisy, blandly directed and mostly stupid. It’s a shame because I really like Need for Speed games. They are thrilling at least. This movie is not entertaining. I mean, occasionally it is, but when I see a movie, I don’t want the movie just to be “entertaining”. I want the movie to be satisfying, well-paced and decently plotted. Not what’s happening here. There are some points really good, but that’s about it. It’s not “Need for Speed”. It’s “Need for Coherence”. Before pointing out all the flaws, let’s start telling the plot summary of this film.

Framed by an ex-partner for a murder he did not commit, Tobey Marshall, a financially struggling custom-car builder and street-racer, spends two years in jail thinking about one moment. Fresh out of prison he reacquires the fastest car his workshop ever built and sold, and seeks to enter a secretive and extremely high-stakes race known as The Deleon. His purpose; redemption, recognition from the world of racing and to solve his problems. Yet all this fades in comparison to his driving reason. Revenge. Above all, revenge. This is a story about love, redemption, revenge and motor oil all swirled together, but above all; It's a story about fast, fast cars.

The plot above makes absolutely no goddamn sense. See, when you play Grand Theft Auto, you don’t want to understand the complexity of the characters’ relationships or relish the entire narrative of the game. You want to steal cars, you want to kill people, you want to run over them with cars, tanks and trucks, you want to rob a bank, you want to explode everything. You want to make Liberty City (or whatever the hell they’re located) into a big Michael Bay horror show, you want to torture people, kill your own girlfriend or your best friend. So, for the most part, no one cares about the story. They just want to f*ck everything. No one gives a **** about the story of Need for Speed too. So when you fit the plot of a game into a live-action movie, it doesn’t work. Because these movies should be grounded in reality and with this movie already having realism applied to it, when it comes to action sequences, it doesn’t work. It becomes so stupid. That’s not the only complaint I have for this film, as the characterization in this flick is so damn poor it makes me feel nothing about the characters. Before we get to that, let’s talk about the race scenes.

The race scenes are pretty freaking cool. I mean, the stunts, the flips, the explosions are so exhilarating it prevents myself from giving a lower score, and the actors’ performances are really pretty cool to see but when the characters are so underdeveloped like these in this movie, you can’t feel emotion in them. For instance, when Tobey’s friend died, I didn’t feel anything about the deceased character. Why? Because the character was underdeveloped, so when the character is not entirely developed throughout the movie, you can’t feel anything for it. Oh by the way, how the hell did Tobey get framed for a crime he did not commit? There wasn’t any proof that he did that. *Sighs*

As I was saying, you don’t feel anything for the characters and that’s a major flaw. Actually, it’s pretty much what ruins a movie. I felt sad for Gwen’s death in “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” and Groot’s supposed death in “Guardians of the Galaxy”. In “Need for Speed”, I didn’t feel anything for Peter. What am I going to learn about the character to feel sad for her? Nothing. I didn’t learn anything about the character. Peter is not the only stock character this movie. Tobey Marshall is the most developed character in the film, and that’s not saying much because it still lacks emotion within the character. Besides him, there’s a sh*t ton of characters with short development, one of them being the love interest, Julia Maddon. She clearly is in the movie to be another “pretty face” cliché. How sad.

Final Score to Need for Speed: 3/10. While there’s, undeniably, some fun attached to it, this video game adaptation fails to please moviegoers due to its absurd plot, bloated direction and underwritten characters. If the Uncharted film eventually comes out in 2016, it will definitely suck and it’s not because it has bad writers or a bad director (which there’s not), but because this whole concept doesn’t work. Face it, Hollywood. Adapting videogames into the cinema won’t work unless if there’s something new to add in the formula.
quincytheodoreMar 16, 2014
As one knows, acquiring the name of a driving game franchise immediately legitimizes a movie adaptation, giving unique character needed to differentiate it from Fast and Furious. Regardless of how thin plot from any Need for Speed games are,As one knows, acquiring the name of a driving game franchise immediately legitimizes a movie adaptation, giving unique character needed to differentiate it from Fast and Furious. Regardless of how thin plot from any Need for Speed games are, the movie manages to trip itself with overly inconceivably ridiculous story and actually failing an already low expectation. It's a fusion of hot mess with barely any charisma, only offering display of expensive cars, as the movie constantly brags, and high level of stupidity on everything it does. Fans would be better off attending car shows.

Story is completely absurd, while motivations are necessary as reasons for the lethal unlawful races, the movie would've been better if characters would just race randomly. They make plot holes in every turns; it has surpassed the redeeming point long before they reach finish line. People would do things so numbingly reckless simply because Fast and Furious clearly inspired them, not to mention script and screenplay are done haphazardly, there's little to no humor or emotional investment to be had.

Aaron Paul as Tobey Marshall tries to put some sense of personality with gruff voice. He looks tense and worried in almost all scenes, probably trying to decipher of the script. Imogen Poots as Julia Maddon is a complete waste of space. Never mind it's stupid for a car dealer to be involved deeply in the first place, she has neither charm nor wit to hold a scene. Probably the purpose she's badly shoehorned is she's blond and has thick English accent, a supposed independent love interest, but she's just nagging, yelling obvious things or trying to ensure the audience how radical the stunts are.

The rest of ragtag team is stereotype support characters, such as the savvy mechanic, another savvy mechanic who can only be differentiated by stripping erratically, and a pilot who arrives timely with array of aerial vehicles, always cracking jokes. The movie never decides whether they are a fully coordinated team or just a bunch of clowns. And there's Michael Keaton, who passionately wants to sell the movie as if he's a used car salesman. Throwing high tag prices and misleading dramatization of what's actually a life-threatening road rage disguised as a race on par with F1, where the participants are constantly facing the threat of death or incarceration. He does a good job or narrating crash near a bus school and mocking the police as cool things.

Its racing scenes are admittedly pretty decent. There are some scenes that utilize camera angles very well, like occasional drivers' perspective or strategically placed shots of near misses and crashes. They exhibit orotund energy, conveying the fast heated rivalry. If only the movie focuses more on this aspect instead of the nonsensical plot, doesn't try too hard to be pretentiously dramatic or funny, it could've been fun to watch. Furthermore, the movie is about two hours, that's a lot of time to drive in obscurity.

With idiotic story, poor attempt on comedy and altogether bad acting, Need for Speed ruins yet another video game adaptation and hopefully crashes so terribly, there won't be a sequel.
vikesh2206Nov 10, 2014
chwMay 25, 2015
Need for Speed is basically a mix of Fast and the Furious and Dumb and Dumber. Two people are on a road trip (in a Shelby, making the mix) which then just gets dumb..and dumber..and dumber than Dumb and Dumber.
WJSFeb 14, 2015
While this movie looks great, its over-fuelled bravado takes forever to get anywhere. It could do with some serious editing. This used to be one of my favorite video games, but not anymore. Very clichéd and predictable.
EludiumQ36Mar 1, 2015
The only thing I know about the assoc. video game is when it hit the News, so I'm not biased by it. The movie itself was really quite good. There were several action scenes that were first-ever which helps support my rating to 8. There was aThe only thing I know about the assoc. video game is when it hit the News, so I'm not biased by it. The movie itself was really quite good. There were several action scenes that were first-ever which helps support my rating to 8. There was a lull near the middle, during the cross-country road trip where I almost fell asleep. That would've made for a good edit since this film is a long-ish 2hrs. And I can't help but think that at the end of the race, if this was filmed in the 70s, the cop would've walked up to Tobey to arrest him with some amount of admiration, but these days you get the militarized, hyper-response with all guns drawn on a skinny, exhausted racer - pitiful, good film otherwise. Expand
SimpleMethodMar 16, 2014
I had no problem watching it. Aaron Paul was good, Imogen Poots was good, the rest of the cast sucked, but you shouldn't go to this movie for the acting. My problem with the stuns is that I found them intense and a bit disturbing rather thanI had no problem watching it. Aaron Paul was good, Imogen Poots was good, the rest of the cast sucked, but you shouldn't go to this movie for the acting. My problem with the stuns is that I found them intense and a bit disturbing rather than entertaining. They're so realistic that it seems brutal when they occur. Overall, a perfectly decent movie to pass the time til May. Expand
Viper8787Apr 18, 2014
Not a very well done racing movie. The one really positive thing I can say about this movie was Aaron Paul's acting was really well done. The race scenes were boring and really clichéd and didn't live up to the standards I was hoping for.
NightReviewsMar 14, 2014
I remember the first time I saw the Fast and the Furious, and how it made me feel after leaving the theatre. By the time the credits rolled, I wanted to get into my car and drive…fast. Unfortunately at the time, I was just barely fourteenI remember the first time I saw the Fast and the Furious, and how it made me feel after leaving the theatre. By the time the credits rolled, I wanted to get into my car and drive…fast. Unfortunately at the time, I was just barely fourteen years-old and not even able to drive, let alone drive fast. Since then, there have been five more entries to the Fast franchise, a tragic death within the series and an upcoming seventh entry that will no doubt pay homage to the late, great racing action star Paul Walker. Obvious comparisons from this film will be made to the Fast film franchise, but I can assure you that Need for Speed will gracefully race near to, if not speed right in front of the series that made street racing cool.

When was the last time you saw a car fly? Like actually fly? And I’m not talking about the CGI filled James Bond/science-fiction films that show flying cars with wings as the norm in the future. For the first time in a very long time at the movies, I had fun! I held my arms close, my palms were sweaty, and tension was flowing through me like the warm synthetic engine oil of a race car, and it was all thanks to the high-octane energy of Need for Speed.

Based on the famous video game franchise of the same name released in 1994, the film had many hurdles to overcome even before its release; horrible track records among critics and in the box office for video game film adaptations (Super Mario Bros., Doom, Max Payne); direct comparisons to the Fast films; and a television star Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad) leading the film. But despite all the hurdles, Need for Speed delivers on its promise for an urgency to entertain, enthral, and perform, giving a whole new realism to the illegal street racing action genre.

Now the word realism can be misconstrued in the context of this review. The disclaimer at the end of the film does state that “many of the stunts performed were done by trained professionals on closed courses”, including the actors, who had extensive training with street cars and performance racing. Now when I say realism, there is no way we can explain that word without mentioning director Steve Waugh. Waugh, who was a seasoned stunt performer before he became a director (Act of Valor), on films like Bad Boys II, Spider-Man and The Italian Job, opted for genuine stunt performances from his actors, director of photography, and stuntmen, and mostly abandoned the use of CGI in the film, which gives a slight edge to the longing of danger to be put back into filmmaking.

The video games, which popularized the use of ‘first-person racing’, put gamers in the driver’s seat and revolutionized the way in which racing games were made. Need for Speed may be light on story, completely absurd on intent and plot, and have many two-dimensional characters, but makes up for it in action, thrills, and impulsive entertainment. The film then becomes a blend of buddy comedy/road-trip actioner/hard boiled revenge thriller that will have you rooting for our hero and born underdog Tobey Marshall, with every gear shift and sharp turn ahead.

The film spends a hefty amount of time establishing its characters, especially its lead Tobey Marshall (Paul). A natural behind the wheel but behind on most of his payments on the shop his late father left him in Mt. Kisco, N.Y, Marshall makes up for his payments and barely keeps the shop afloat and his close friends employed through a string of minor street races. After a generous offer from an old acquaintance, pro NASCAR driver and suave bad boy Dino Brewster (Dominic Cooper), Marshall sees an opportunity for the business to flourish for him and his group of loyal friends. But after Dino double-crosses Marshall in a race for winner-takes-all, Marshall serves two years in prison, only igniting a burning scheme for vengeance.

Need for Speed spends a dedicated amount of time behind the wheel with it’s characters. From the moment Marshall is released from prison, he makes his way to California to the infamous, invite only De Leon street race, held by an anonymous organizer. Desperate to use the last car that he and his team worked on, a 50th Anniversary Ford Mustang that Carroll Shelby reportedly worked on before his eventual death in 2012, a car that produces 800+ horsepower and reaches a max speed of 234mph, Marshall and his team, accompanied by the wealthy investor associate Julia (Imogen Poots) race to an unknown location in search of proving Marshall’s innocence and making Brewster pay for the death of his friend.
Tessara_VejganAug 4, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a load of garbage. It had a few good scenes here and there but overall it was a horrible movie. Story is horrible, Tobey Marshall has no problems endangering other people in their street races but when his friend dies oh no its the end of the world wtf. Main actors (Aaron Paul) face looks like he just jumped out of some comedy and I just couldn't take him seriously. Actually the acting in general was very bad, well ok Michael Keaton did good playing Monarch. Expand
ahnehnoisMar 14, 2014
Honestly I had not heard of the video game on which this was based, but its origins don't surprise me. It is pretty much like watching a video game. Don't get me wrong; Aaron Paul is Aaron Paul, but his character is minimally developed andHonestly I had not heard of the video game on which this was based, but its origins don't surprise me. It is pretty much like watching a video game. Don't get me wrong; Aaron Paul is Aaron Paul, but his character is minimally developed and the supporting cast is mixed at best. The plot is one cliche after another, and it's hard to feel bad for the plucky sidekick who dies, or for the villain's wife who discovers she's the villain's wife, or even to hate the lamely villainous villain. Don't ask who the mysterious announcer who sets up illegal high-stakes drag racing is; the movie won't tell you much about who he is or how he gets away with it.

The movie somewhat inevitably cheapens the consequences of its action; people die or get injured only when it's convenient for the plot, despite frequent car crashes, and the only real collateral damage from all the mayhem is a homeless guy's cart that they all laugh about (despite the fact that they came a few feet from accidentally killing the guy and probably destroyed his only property). Hilarious. The hero's jail time is likewise scoffed at. That's why it's kind of hard to feel bad for the one guy who actually dies during all this drag racing; everyone is basically a psychopath but suddenly they care about this one twerp who got killed and feel the need to take revenge.

The movie's upside comes from the visuals of the 3D chases and the occasional mild laugh (this movie needed more of Rami Malek, as many movies do). The car chasing does look good. If that's all you want out of this movie, you'll be satisfied.
reellmJul 22, 2015
2/5★ Coming off of Breaking Bad, Aaron Paul stars in the video game adaptation of Need For Speed. Uncreative and logic defying, and when not focused on cars driving insanely fast, is boring and overly long. Cut out the talking and forgettable2/5★ Coming off of Breaking Bad, Aaron Paul stars in the video game adaptation of Need For Speed. Uncreative and logic defying, and when not focused on cars driving insanely fast, is boring and overly long. Cut out the talking and forgettable characters and ramp up the stunts and what you got is beautiful cars doin' the fast and furious tango. Or you could just play the game.
Verdict: Car stunt enthusiasts and adrenaline junkies.
sammurphy66Jul 19, 2014
Need for Speed is undeniably sleek and stylish, but those qualities are completely wasted on a disjointed script and ridiculous premise, leaving it not quite as well oiled as it cars.
ToFewViewsSep 1, 2014
Just like the Fast and Furious series if you looking for nothing but action then here you go. Expensive cars being drove really fast with horrible dialog is what you get and is about all you will get from movies like this.
The one thing
The one thing this movie had going for it was the use of real cars and letting the actors drive said cars, the behind the scenes and making of are worth watching.
ScorpionMar 23, 2014
What producers have against supervisory script? Is it so bad read it and who wrote it have to do something decent? Or better, send the director to stop putting shameful and unimportant scenes? Or even to ask where I was thinking when I gaveWhat producers have against supervisory script? Is it so bad read it and who wrote it have to do something decent? Or better, send the director to stop putting shameful and unimportant scenes? Or even to ask where I was thinking when I gave someone money to do this? Hollywood Why Why? making a film with a weak story, useless, shameful stereotypical characters and actors more shameful still, except for Aaron Paul, and how flashy single chase scenes potent cloying but soon will not bring money or fame only attestations of decay. Expand
TheFilmFanaticNov 2, 2014
Need for Speed is a prototypical racing film that brings nothing new to the car-centric action genre. Although the premise of a revenge film revolving around drag racing sounds intriguing, it is filled with a sloppy, disjointed plot andNeed for Speed is a prototypical racing film that brings nothing new to the car-centric action genre. Although the premise of a revenge film revolving around drag racing sounds intriguing, it is filled with a sloppy, disjointed plot and boring stock characters. Wastes relatively good acting by the leads of Aaron Paul and Dominic Cooper by creating rather disconnected, unempathetic characters. Michael Keaton brought a strong comedic performance to help break up any tension throughout the film. However the tension never really seemed to be there at the level it should have been. The film relied too heavily on the video game franchise and cars rather than actual story, trying to cash in on the current success of its star. If the writers focused on a more innovative story for a rather overdone genre than flashy cars perhaps this film would have defined a new age of racing films. Need for Speed certainly has a need for some speed. Expand
Gamed2longMar 22, 2014
This movie was better than alright. Not quite "good" though.
This movie was better than alright. Not quite "good" though.
The good: Aaron Paul. He's got a lot of stupid lines to deliver in this movie, but with his subtle tormented acting style not one of them comes off sounding cheesy or forced. That he can make such terrible writing sound organic is worthy of some kind of award.
Imogen Poots. She is a believable person and real sparks are bouncing between her and Aaron Paul, even if her character is completely ridiculous. If only I had a friend who would pay me 3 million dollars to build an uber car and then be willing to loan the finished product back to me!
The bad: The plot. It was so predictable it may even have been ripped off from another racing movie. Don't get me wrong. There are individual pieces of it that are good. The part in the convince store for instance. That sequence is, in itself, quite effective. And there are other bits of the film like that. Its that the over-arching plot is so dumb and predictable. The villain is so bland and one dimensional I don't even recall his name. He was just rich douche in leather coat. Its refreshing the main character has an entire team of people helping him race, but not one of them is memorable or really original. Or likable for that matter. We are supposed to accept that these monkeys are car mechanic/support crew extraordinaire and I don't even think we ever see one of them so much as holding a wrench. Probably because it would look so unnatural.

The ugly: Car wrecks! Car wrecks everywhere! OK this is a reason to see the film. Unlike the Fast and the Furious franchise Need For Speed was shot with a minimum of CGI special effects. They used as many conventional effects as they could pull off. And you can tell. When a window gets smashed for a scene the stunt glass is still there in the next. Still looking real. The car crashes, with one fireball exception, all look real. Vehicle damage and driving physics is believable and consistent throughout. And the world it is set in. Its not sanitized in the way Fast and Furious has become. When they force a car to run into the ditch because they are doing something very illegal, speeding the wrong way down a freeway for instance, you get the feeling whoever was in that car got hurt.
You very much get the sensation in this film that the cops are not just bitter old men trying to stop fun, but rather actually trying to protect the public from the colossal amount of damage these street racers cause.
Basically it comes down to this. If you are a big fan of car chase and car racing films then you can't miss out on this gem. If you are looking for something with character development and a plot that makes sense, you can find more of that in a single episode of Braking Bad. You're better off watching that.
RazvMar 26, 2014
Great movie! Certainly better than all the other racing movies I've seen.

The story is acceptable, the actors are very good (didn't expect less than amazing from Aaron Paul anyway) and the action scenes are marvelous. Granted, if you
Great movie! Certainly better than all the other racing movies I've seen.

Granted, if you compare it to the all-time masterpieces you might give it a 4, however compared to its genre and to other releases of the same type, I'd definitely give it a 9.
BlaKDemonaZJan 3, 2015
Um dos piores filmes de 2014, a adaptação é totalmente clichê, nada tem a ver com a franquia do game de mesmo nome. O filme é uma total perca de tempo e realmente o ÚNICO ponto positivo no filme é o ator de Breaking Bad, Aaron Paul.
IMAX500Aug 16, 2014
At first I thought the movie is going to be terrible because critics didn't like it. But For Now, I like it. Car Races and Crashes, Really Amazing. Sound Mixing, Terrific. The Part where the guy was naked. Really Funny and a little bitAt first I thought the movie is going to be terrible because critics didn't like it. But For Now, I like it. Car Races and Crashes, Really Amazing. Sound Mixing, Terrific. The Part where the guy was naked. Really Funny and a little bit Disturbing because it shows the guy's bottom. But Still, Terrific Movie Based on a Video Game. Expand