Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: March 14, 2014
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 461 Ratings
Watch Now
RetroAggressionMar 14, 2014
First of all I do admit I am a sucker for video game movies. Given that, this movie is awesome. This movie will give fans of the video game series what they should expect. Within the first 10 minutes there is already a race. You will get lotsFirst of all I do admit I am a sucker for video game movies. Given that, this movie is awesome. This movie will give fans of the video game series what they should expect. Within the first 10 minutes there is already a race. You will get lots of police chase scenes and lots of crashes with tons of flying parts. There is a decent variety of high end cars you will see. This movie made me want to dust off my PS Vita and play my copy of NFS Most Wanted again. I usually end up falling asleep in the theater for most movies but this is one of those few movies I stayed wide awake the whole time from start to finish. Expand
mariusik008Jul 23, 2014
The movie put up on the scene what is happening when you play the already famous game. Rivalry races , cops chases and a lot of crashes. Given that , it's a good movie , maybe not as good as Fast 2 Furious series , but it;s worth seeing it
NightReviewsMar 14, 2014
I remember the first time I saw the Fast and the Furious, and how it made me feel after leaving the theatre. By the time the credits rolled, I wanted to get into my car and drive…fast. Unfortunately at the time, I was just barely fourteenI remember the first time I saw the Fast and the Furious, and how it made me feel after leaving the theatre. By the time the credits rolled, I wanted to get into my car and drive…fast. Unfortunately at the time, I was just barely fourteen years-old and not even able to drive, let alone drive fast. Since then, there have been five more entries to the Fast franchise, a tragic death within the series and an upcoming seventh entry that will no doubt pay homage to the late, great racing action star Paul Walker. Obvious comparisons from this film will be made to the Fast film franchise, but I can assure you that Need for Speed will gracefully race near to, if not speed right in front of the series that made street racing cool.

When was the last time you saw a car fly? Like actually fly? And I’m not talking about the CGI filled James Bond/science-fiction films that show flying cars with wings as the norm in the future. For the first time in a very long time at the movies, I had fun! I held my arms close, my palms were sweaty, and tension was flowing through me like the warm synthetic engine oil of a race car, and it was all thanks to the high-octane energy of Need for Speed.

Based on the famous video game franchise of the same name released in 1994, the film had many hurdles to overcome even before its release; horrible track records among critics and in the box office for video game film adaptations (Super Mario Bros., Doom, Max Payne); direct comparisons to the Fast films; and a television star Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad) leading the film. But despite all the hurdles, Need for Speed delivers on its promise for an urgency to entertain, enthral, and perform, giving a whole new realism to the illegal street racing action genre.

Now the word realism can be misconstrued in the context of this review. The disclaimer at the end of the film does state that “many of the stunts performed were done by trained professionals on closed courses”, including the actors, who had extensive training with street cars and performance racing. Now when I say realism, there is no way we can explain that word without mentioning director Steve Waugh. Waugh, who was a seasoned stunt performer before he became a director (Act of Valor), on films like Bad Boys II, Spider-Man and The Italian Job, opted for genuine stunt performances from his actors, director of photography, and stuntmen, and mostly abandoned the use of CGI in the film, which gives a slight edge to the longing of danger to be put back into filmmaking.

The video games, which popularized the use of ‘first-person racing’, put gamers in the driver’s seat and revolutionized the way in which racing games were made. Need for Speed may be light on story, completely absurd on intent and plot, and have many two-dimensional characters, but makes up for it in action, thrills, and impulsive entertainment. The film then becomes a blend of buddy comedy/road-trip actioner/hard boiled revenge thriller that will have you rooting for our hero and born underdog Tobey Marshall, with every gear shift and sharp turn ahead.

The film spends a hefty amount of time establishing its characters, especially its lead Tobey Marshall (Paul). A natural behind the wheel but behind on most of his payments on the shop his late father left him in Mt. Kisco, N.Y, Marshall makes up for his payments and barely keeps the shop afloat and his close friends employed through a string of minor street races. After a generous offer from an old acquaintance, pro NASCAR driver and suave bad boy Dino Brewster (Dominic Cooper), Marshall sees an opportunity for the business to flourish for him and his group of loyal friends. But after Dino double-crosses Marshall in a race for winner-takes-all, Marshall serves two years in prison, only igniting a burning scheme for vengeance.

Need for Speed spends a dedicated amount of time behind the wheel with it’s characters. From the moment Marshall is released from prison, he makes his way to California to the infamous, invite only De Leon street race, held by an anonymous organizer. Desperate to use the last car that he and his team worked on, a 50th Anniversary Ford Mustang that Carroll Shelby reportedly worked on before his eventual death in 2012, a car that produces 800+ horsepower and reaches a max speed of 234mph, Marshall and his team, accompanied by the wealthy investor associate Julia (Imogen Poots) race to an unknown location in search of proving Marshall’s innocence and making Brewster pay for the death of his friend.
superboogMar 15, 2014
If you went to watch Need For Speed to get some deep plot or meaning to life then you deserve to be disappointed. This movie is about cars and racing and it does both reasonably well. The acting may not be the best and the plot is nothingIf you went to watch Need For Speed to get some deep plot or meaning to life then you deserve to be disappointed. This movie is about cars and racing and it does both reasonably well. The acting may not be the best and the plot is nothing new but its Need For Speed! The cars look amazing and sound even better. I can honestly say this movie is better than some in the Fast & Furious Franchise and much better than the movie Drive( with one driving sequence). They can always improve from here and I hope them make a sequel but this movie deserves a much better score than most are giving it. Expand
dnl247365Mar 14, 2014
Firstly it should be stated that I am a big fan of car movies. If you have enjoyed movies such as Gone in 60 Seconds or Fast and Furious, you will most likely enjoy this movie. The car selection isn't all that varied but the action and chaseFirstly it should be stated that I am a big fan of car movies. If you have enjoyed movies such as Gone in 60 Seconds or Fast and Furious, you will most likely enjoy this movie. The car selection isn't all that varied but the action and chase scenes make up for it. The setting is similar to a track from the Need For Speed games, and the overview screen of the race fits in perfectly. The story is nothing to look too deeply into. It has common themes found in most racing movies, aspects like revenge and honor. The characters honestly felt a bit stale only because they seem so familiar. Michael Keaton's role was probably my favorite, though Aaron Paul & Kid Cudi did very good (though I was hoping for some sort of Breaking Bad reference; a perfectly timed **** or crystal blue colored car, anything lol). Overall it was an enjoyable car flick with some great stunt work & very exotic cars. Expand
Airbourne47Mar 15, 2014
I thought this movie would be terrible considering the other movies based off games (Battleship, Prince of Persia, etc.) but it really surprised me. It was AMAZING. Any FAst and Furious, racing, car fans will have a blast watching this!
thebeast007Mar 16, 2014
Need for speed has to me at least, everything heart-pounding action from my beloved games ,a great emotional tale ,excellent performances (especially from Michael Keaton and Aaron Paul),a great cast with a funny chemistry,excellent soundtrackNeed for speed has to me at least, everything heart-pounding action from my beloved games ,a great emotional tale ,excellent performances (especially from Michael Keaton and Aaron Paul),a great cast with a funny chemistry,excellent soundtrack ,great sound design ,you can feel like you are there ,you are in the front seat,the director Scott Waugh didn't lie when he pormised us about a trip so fast and incredible ,we wouldn't forget it,honestly the last race had me sweating, shaking in pure exhiliration something that i haven't experinced in a long time from movies.I also think that critics have forgotten how to have fun with these kind of movies,they are wayy too blinded with fast and furious.But need for speed is everything the first fast and furious should have been a crazy ,fun ride with underrated but great actors,Aaron Paul owns his role and he is definetely an incredible actor,who should be in more movies like this,the last race is not only intense but also very nostalgic to the games,where cops start using spike-strips ,roadblocks ,helicopters ,it surely reminds you of the games(mostly nfs rivals and nfs the run).

but yeah i loved this movie as a big fan of the nfs series and Aaron Paul and Michael Keaton,this is the best videogame-to-movie adaptation out there,if you want to see some great action ,stunts and actors this movie definetely deserves your attention.
cfhMar 14, 2014
I personally loved the movie. It was a little slow at first, then it was out of control action and comedy. I saw the movie in 3D and I would recommend it in 3D. I have not played any of the Need for Speed video games, but apparently it hasI personally loved the movie. It was a little slow at first, then it was out of control action and comedy. I saw the movie in 3D and I would recommend it in 3D. I have not played any of the Need for Speed video games, but apparently it has some of the same characters. Hope you enjoy it! Expand
RazvMar 26, 2014
Great movie! Certainly better than all the other racing movies I've seen.

The story is acceptable, the actors are very good (didn't expect less than amazing from Aaron Paul anyway) and the action scenes are marvelous. Granted, if you
Great movie! Certainly better than all the other racing movies I've seen.

Granted, if you compare it to the all-time masterpieces you might give it a 4, however compared to its genre and to other releases of the same type, I'd definitely give it a 9.
LienooneMar 16, 2014
For real just ignore all the bad reviews, if you like fast cars, if you like racing movies, if you like the Fast and Furious movies or if you are a fan of the the Need for Speed games you will really have a good time seeing this movie. IFor real just ignore all the bad reviews, if you like fast cars, if you like racing movies, if you like the Fast and Furious movies or if you are a fan of the the Need for Speed games you will really have a good time seeing this movie. I loved it, I didnt care if story isnt the best, or that the cast besides Aaron Paul is not the best, I enjoyed the ride, the races and stunts are really awesome and realistic without CGI, I was impressed !

Its an awesome movie
enryApr 2, 2014
This move was a bad**** move because i went to the moves over and over because i like it that much. I F*******ing like it they should make the second one and 3 one.
enayatharoonMar 16, 2014
it's an awesome move!! I liked it more than FF. overall it was an awesome one of 2014 until now. Enjoyed it a lot......................................
KranitokoMar 14, 2014
Went to see this last night for my birthday. I don't really see a huge problem with the film. At the very least its better than the first fast and furious film. Cant say it's better than the others though, but its definitely not the worstWent to see this last night for my birthday. I don't really see a huge problem with the film. At the very least its better than the first fast and furious film. Cant say it's better than the others though, but its definitely not the worst racing film I've seen. Definitely feels very NFS with the landscape driving and the police chases also.

Characters can seem a little bland at times but they help to drive the story forward. A couple of plotholes and some moments are predictable; however other moments you won't see coming. Aaron Paul is... good. Better in Breaking Bad but he gives it a good shot as the starring role in the film.

Thought this was going to be bad; its probably one of the better video game-to-movie adaptations. Better than Prince of Persia methinks.
MarcDoyleMar 26, 2014
I played NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 for many an hour, many a year ago, and if the filmmakers' intent was to create a tribute to the game, they did a hell of a job. The action sequences are pretty spectacular, and the male/female leads get the jobI played NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 for many an hour, many a year ago, and if the filmmakers' intent was to create a tribute to the game, they did a hell of a job. The action sequences are pretty spectacular, and the male/female leads get the job done. Aaron Paul may well be the modern answer to the Perfect Weapon, Jeff Speakman, but he'll never beat out Jason Statham and the other A or B-list action heroes for roles. But he's good enough. With moderated expectations, I had a great time with this movie. Expand
oneandonlywm3Apr 18, 2014
I honestly don't get the low rating of the movie. The movie was really good for me and it has to be one of my favorites. I am a fan of Fast and Furious, but I did my best not to compare. Its a movie about cars, and rivalry I guess. What moreI honestly don't get the low rating of the movie. The movie was really good for me and it has to be one of my favorites. I am a fan of Fast and Furious, but I did my best not to compare. Its a movie about cars, and rivalry I guess. What more can a person ask for? The cast was perfect, and there were amazing cars in the movie. Sometimes people get too technical, and they look for negative things that shouldn't be looked upon in the first place. I would recommend this movie with no hesitation whatsoever. Expand
zpotgieterMar 21, 2014
Need For Speed is a excellent movie... Critics claim that the movie's scenes make them feel emotions, and that is why they give it low ratings - HOWEVER that is the goal of the writers, producers and directors of all movies. And now that NeedNeed For Speed is a excellent movie... Critics claim that the movie's scenes make them feel emotions, and that is why they give it low ratings - HOWEVER that is the goal of the writers, producers and directors of all movies. And now that Need For Speed has succeeded to do so to many reviewers, they complain about it. For me, it's a good thing that emotions are manipulated by the actors' work. And most who complain about the 'brutality' of some scenes (personally I didn't regard them as brutal, but that's just my opinion) are forgetting that - It's only a movie! A great movie at that! Watch the movie, enjoy and write about your opinion.... Just look at the user score vs critic score! Expand
JOSHDILISIMar 25, 2014
i'm not the biggest fan of cars but i am a sucker for video game movie adaptations, i felt that this was a really good movie that i found easy to follow with a lot of loveable characters in it. it had a deeper story than i was expected,i'm not the biggest fan of cars but i am a sucker for video game movie adaptations, i felt that this was a really good movie that i found easy to follow with a lot of loveable characters in it. it had a deeper story than i was expected, although i found it to be a bit predictable at times as well. But in the end, all of the driving sequences looked great, and satisfied my need for speedy movies. Expand
AsterflyMay 6, 2014
I don't understand why people complain about car's movies. We got something that doesn't fall in drugs/alcohol/sex/prohibition, and just bases on cars, just like NFS games. There are a lot of reference to the game, without falling in the fanI don't understand why people complain about car's movies. We got something that doesn't fall in drugs/alcohol/sex/prohibition, and just bases on cars, just like NFS games. There are a lot of reference to the game, without falling in the fan service.
I had a good time with this movie, no matter what are though people '' shocked '' because they saw two cars being in infraction.
RiZMar 16, 2014
Awesome movie! I love F&F, but NFS much better. Why? Only cars, beautiful driving and effect of the presence, thats why. I'm a big fan of NFS video game series, and i saw many references and fan base in movie. Amazing and accurate actorsAwesome movie! I love F&F, but NFS much better. Why? Only cars, beautiful driving and effect of the presence, thats why. I'm a big fan of NFS video game series, and i saw many references and fan base in movie. Amazing and accurate actors play, human qualities and whole movie duration keeps us in suspense. Also very cool filmed, amazing views and angles, amazing sounds. I'm sure, that movie will be legendary also like classic "gone in 60 seconds", "vanishing point" and "Smokey and the Bandit" (Pontiac Firebird in NFS movie is great moment)) NFS movie - Live Legend. All in the best traditions and canons NFS series.
P.S.: F&F? Whats is?

10 of 10.
SimpleMethodMar 16, 2014
I had no problem watching it. Aaron Paul was good, Imogen Poots was good, the rest of the cast sucked, but you shouldn't go to this movie for the acting. My problem with the stuns is that I found them intense and a bit disturbing rather thanI had no problem watching it. Aaron Paul was good, Imogen Poots was good, the rest of the cast sucked, but you shouldn't go to this movie for the acting. My problem with the stuns is that I found them intense and a bit disturbing rather than entertaining. They're so realistic that it seems brutal when they occur. Overall, a perfectly decent movie to pass the time til May. Expand
Nick97Mar 21, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't see why this movie has a score of 40. If one has half a brain, they will clearly see the developed plot throughout the film. Car fans, this is the movie for us. Speed, fire, smoke, drifts, crashes, etc. There isn't any set of words that describe how fantastic this movie is.
10/10 will purchase.
RazzaMar 21, 2014
If im going to say one thing its this, Fast and Furious has a fight now and its already loosing in this one movie there is more police chases more racing and much much higher speeds despite the fact that the race at the end may have beenIf im going to say one thing its this, Fast and Furious has a fight now and its already loosing in this one movie there is more police chases more racing and much much higher speeds despite the fact that the race at the end may have been biased towards a specific car, but finally a story that means something. I hope though that they don't crap on this by making a sequel. Expand
KnightbatMar 17, 2014
Best Breaking Bad sequel. Just amazing. As Jessie Pinkman returns to becoming a Meth addict, Walter White gets resurrected from the dead as they both take over the Meth industry.
AlvinMunglaMay 9, 2014
Hmm... Actually, those who says that this movie sucks, sucks... It's one of the best racing movies, I've ever watched... I'll b waiting for the return of need for speed... My score 10 is too less for this, I wished I could boost it up by 370km/h..
geo3rdrowOct 14, 2014
As usual, the smug liberal hipster critics with broomsticks up their you know whats... are making their usual puns they think are clever to bash a movie they could never understand. If it's not a movie about a gay man finding himself or aAs usual, the smug liberal hipster critics with broomsticks up their you know whats... are making their usual puns they think are clever to bash a movie they could never understand. If it's not a movie about a gay man finding himself or a drama about a young boy getting picked on they want nothing to do with it.

If you love cars, you'll LOVE this move.. If you love need for speed, you will LOVE this movie, if you like high adrenaline palm sweating over the top action, you will LOVE this move. I LOVE this movie.

So glad someone is willing to make this even though they know the critics have their heads between their legs.
Kikex22Mar 16, 2014
is the best racing movie that i have seen before like fast an furious 1 ,2,3 the others aren't racing need for speed is more realistic i liked very much
SaintValtielMar 16, 2014
Need for Speed was one of the single best movies I have ever seen. It was pretty stupid, I'm not going to lie, but it was the best type of stupid. May have surpassed Deep Blue Sea as my favorite guilty pleasure movie
BAMFsn95Mar 16, 2014
What sucks about reviews is the people reviewing. If you expect a good, well written movie, don't review a movie based on a video game and expect anything more than that. For those of us who know the games and know how cheesy the plot lineWhat sucks about reviews is the people reviewing. If you expect a good, well written movie, don't review a movie based on a video game and expect anything more than that. For those of us who know the games and know how cheesy the plot line and characters are, and are SUPPOSED to be, we get it and love it. Everything done in the mustang was plausible given the amount of money put into the car. And I think anyone giving a bad review needs to go to a theatre with RPX Real 3D or Dbox seating and re-watch it. You'll love it!! Expand
TheQuietGamerAug 25, 2014
Not only is it a great way to hold yourself over until Fast & Furious 7 comes out, it's a good enough movie on it's own to compete with it. Filled with plenty of awesome races, action, and humor, as well as a great story with believableNot only is it a great way to hold yourself over until Fast & Furious 7 comes out, it's a good enough movie on it's own to compete with it. Filled with plenty of awesome races, action, and humor, as well as a great story with believable characters, you might not be able to find a better automotive-type movie like this one outside of the well-loved F&F series.

For me it succeeds first and foremost thanks to it's awesome casting and character writing. Aaron Paul is awesome as the lead, Dominic Cooper makes for a great villain, and Michael Keaton's character is just crazy fun. The rest of the supporting cast (which includes an enjoyable Imogen Poots) are just as great with their characters. The brotherly love Paul's character shares with his friends is believable, making his motives feel natural.

The plot does have a familiar revenge tale that can lead to a lot of predictable moments with how things turn out, but the movie remains fun throughout. It does exactly what this type of movie should do; make you want to get behind the wheel and drive fast. In my eyes it manages to avoid the curse that most video games movies have fallen prey to, and that's completely sucking. It's a heck of a lot of fun and gives the F&F series a run for it's money. I give it an 8.5/10.
EludiumQ36Mar 1, 2015
The only thing I know about the assoc. video game is when it hit the News, so I'm not biased by it. The movie itself was really quite good. There were several action scenes that were first-ever which helps support my rating to 8. There was aThe only thing I know about the assoc. video game is when it hit the News, so I'm not biased by it. The movie itself was really quite good. There were several action scenes that were first-ever which helps support my rating to 8. There was a lull near the middle, during the cross-country road trip where I almost fell asleep. That would've made for a good edit since this film is a long-ish 2hrs. And I can't help but think that at the end of the race, if this was filmed in the 70s, the cop would've walked up to Tobey to arrest him with some amount of admiration, but these days you get the militarized, hyper-response with all guns drawn on a skinny, exhausted racer - pitiful, good film otherwise. Expand