6.8

1. Mar 14, 2014
    First of all I do admit I am a sucker for video game movies. Given that, this movie is awesome. This movie will give fans of the video game series what they should expect. Within the first 10 minutes there is already a race. You will get lots of police chase scenes and lots of crashes with tons of flying parts. There is a decent variety of high end cars you will see. This movie made me want to dust off my PS Vita and play my copy of NFS Most Wanted again. I usually end up falling asleep in the theater for most movies but this is one of those few movies I stayed wide awake the whole time from start to finish. Expand
  2. Mar 14, 2014
    Went to see this last night for my birthday. I don't really see a huge problem with the film. At the very least its better than the first fast and furious film. Cant say it's better than the others though, but its definitely not the worst racing film I've seen. Definitely feels very NFS with the landscape driving and the police chases also.

Characters can seem a little bland at times
    but they help to drive the story forward. A couple of plotholes and some moments are predictable; however other moments you won't see coming. Aaron Paul is... good. Better in Breaking Bad but he gives it a good shot as the starring role in the film.

Thought this was going to be bad; its probably one of the better video game-to-movie adaptations. Better than Prince of Persia methinks.
  3. Mar 14, 2014
    Firstly it should be stated that I am a big fan of car movies. If you have enjoyed movies such as Gone in 60 Seconds or Fast and Furious, you will most likely enjoy this movie. The car selection isn't all that varied but the action and chase scenes make up for it. The setting is similar to a track from the Need For Speed games, and the overview screen of the race fits in perfectly. The story is nothing to look too deeply into. It has common themes found in most racing movies, aspects like revenge and honor. The characters honestly felt a bit stale only because they seem so familiar. Michael Keaton's role was probably my favorite, though Aaron Paul & Kid Cudi did very good (though I was hoping for some sort of Breaking Bad reference; a perfectly timed **** or crystal blue colored car, anything lol). Overall it was an enjoyable car flick with some great stunt work & very exotic cars. Expand
  4. cfh
    Mar 14, 2014
    I personally loved the movie. It was a little slow at first, then it was out of control action and comedy. I saw the movie in 3D and I would recommend it in 3D. I have not played any of the Need for Speed video games, but apparently it has some of the same characters. Hope you enjoy it!
  5. Mar 14, 2014
    I remember the first time I saw the Fast and the Furious, and how it made me feel after leaving the theatre. By the time the credits rolled, I wanted to get into my car and drive…fast. Unfortunately at the time, I was just barely fourteen years-old and not even able to drive, let alone drive fast. Since then, there have been five more entries to the Fast franchise, a tragic death within the series and an upcoming seventh entry that will no doubt pay homage to the late, great racing action star Paul Walker. Obvious comparisons from this film will be made to the Fast film franchise, but I can assure you that Need for Speed will gracefully race near to, if not speed right in front of the series that made street racing cool.

When was the last time you saw a car fly? Like actually fly? And I’m not talking about the CGI filled James Bond/science-fiction films that show flying cars with wings as the norm in the future. For the first time in a very long time at the movies, I had fun! I held my arms close, my palms were sweaty, and tension was flowing through me like the warm synthetic engine oil of a race car, and it was all thanks to the high-octane energy of Need for Speed.

Based on the famous video game franchise of the same name released in 1994, the film had many hurdles to overcome even before its release; horrible track records among critics and in the box office for video game film adaptations (Super Mario Bros., Doom, Max Payne); direct comparisons to the Fast films; and a television star Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad) leading the film. But despite all the hurdles, Need for Speed delivers on its promise for an urgency to entertain, enthral, and perform, giving a whole new realism to the illegal street racing action genre.

Now the word realism can be misconstrued in the context of this review. The disclaimer at the end of the film does state that “many of the stunts performed were done by trained professionals on closed courses”, including the actors, who had extensive training with street cars and performance racing. Now when I say realism, there is no way we can explain that word without mentioning director Steve Waugh. Waugh, who was a seasoned stunt performer before he became a director (Act of Valor), on films like Bad Boys II, Spider-Man and The Italian Job, opted for genuine stunt performances from his actors, director of photography, and stuntmen, and mostly abandoned the use of CGI in the film, which gives a slight edge to the longing of danger to be put back into filmmaking.

The video games, which popularized the use of ‘first-person racing’, put gamers in the driver’s seat and revolutionized the way in which racing games were made. Need for Speed may be light on story, completely absurd on intent and plot, and have many two-dimensional characters, but makes up for it in action, thrills, and impulsive entertainment. The film then becomes a blend of buddy comedy/road-trip actioner/hard boiled revenge thriller that will have you rooting for our hero and born underdog Tobey Marshall, with every gear shift and sharp turn ahead.

The film spends a hefty amount of time establishing its characters, especially its lead Tobey Marshall (Paul). A natural behind the wheel but behind on most of his payments on the shop his late father left him in Mt. Kisco, N.Y, Marshall makes up for his payments and barely keeps the shop afloat and his close friends employed through a string of minor street races. After a generous offer from an old acquaintance, pro NASCAR driver and suave bad boy Dino Brewster (Dominic Cooper), Marshall sees an opportunity for the business to flourish for him and his group of loyal friends. But after Dino double-crosses Marshall in a race for winner-takes-all, Marshall serves two years in prison, only igniting a burning scheme for vengeance.

Need for Speed spends a dedicated amount of time behind the wheel with it’s characters. From the moment Marshall is released from prison, he makes his way to California to the infamous, invite only De Leon street race, held by an anonymous organizer. Desperate to use the last car that he and his team worked on, a 50th Anniversary Ford Mustang that Carroll Shelby reportedly worked on before his eventual death in 2012, a car that produces 800+ horsepower and reaches a max speed of 234mph, Marshall and his team, accompanied by the wealthy investor associate Julia (Imogen Poots) race to an unknown location in search of proving Marshall’s innocence and making Brewster pay for the death of his friend.
  6. Mar 15, 2014
    I thought this movie would be terrible considering the other movies based off games (Battleship, Prince of Persia, etc.) but it really surprised me. It was AMAZING. Any FAst and Furious, racing, car fans will have a blast watching this!
  7. Mar 14, 2014
    Need for Speed is a dumb movie, and not a dumb fun one. As far as video game movies go, Need for Speed is certainly not an unwatchable turd like Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li. That's because it's really less a video game movie than it is the next Torque or Biker Boyz. So it looks like it's up to Warcraft to be the video game movie that could finally elevate the genre. Despite all the automotive eye candy and action movie elements, Need for Speed never provides the viewer with a sense of escape or abandon. It doesn't make you want to buy the game or go racing out of the cinema parking lot lost in some lead foot fantasy. It makes you want to buy a Volvo and drive 35mph. Expand
  8. Mar 15, 2014
    If you went to watch Need For Speed to get some deep plot or meaning to life then you deserve to be disappointed. This movie is about cars and racing and it does both reasonably well. The acting may not be the best and the plot is nothing new but its Need For Speed! The cars look amazing and sound even better. I can honestly say this movie is better than some in the Fast & Furious Franchise and much better than the movie Drive( with one driving sequence). They can always improve from here and I hope them make a sequel but this movie deserves a much better score than most are giving it. Expand
  9. Mar 26, 2014
    I played NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 for many an hour, many a year ago, and if the filmmakers' intent was to create a tribute to the game, they did a hell of a job. The action sequences are pretty spectacular, and the male/female leads get the job done. Aaron Paul may well be the modern answer to the Perfect Weapon, Jeff Speakman, but he'll never beat out Jason Statham and the other A or B-list action heroes for roles. But he's good enough. With moderated expectations, I had a great time with this movie. Expand
  10. Mar 16, 2014
    Need for speed has to me at least, everything heart-pounding action from my beloved games ,a great emotional tale ,excellent performances (especially from Michael Keaton and Aaron Paul),a great cast with a funny chemistry,excellent soundtrack ,great sound design ,you can feel like you are there ,you are in the front seat,the director Scott Waugh didn't lie when he pormised us about a trip so fast and incredible ,we wouldn't forget it,honestly the last race had me sweating, shaking in pure exhiliration something that i haven't experinced in a long time from movies.I also think that critics have forgotten how to have fun with these kind of movies,they are wayy too blinded with fast and furious.But need for speed is everything the first fast and furious should have been a crazy ,fun ride with underrated but great actors,Aaron Paul owns his role and he is definetely an incredible actor,who should be in more movies like this,the last race is not only intense but also very nostalgic to the games,where cops start using spike-strips ,roadblocks ,helicopters ,it surely reminds you of the games(mostly nfs rivals and nfs the run).

but yeah i loved this movie as a big fan of the nfs series and Aaron Paul and Michael Keaton,this is the best videogame-to-movie adaptation out there,if you want to see some great action ,stunts and actors this movie definetely deserves your attention.
  11. Mar 14, 2014
    Honestly I had not heard of the video game on which this was based, but its origins don't surprise me. It is pretty much like watching a video game. Don't get me wrong; Aaron Paul is Aaron Paul, but his character is minimally developed and the supporting cast is mixed at best. The plot is one cliche after another, and it's hard to feel bad for the plucky sidekick who dies, or for the villain's wife who discovers she's the villain's wife, or even to hate the lamely villainous villain. Don't ask who the mysterious announcer who sets up illegal high-stakes drag racing is; the movie won't tell you much about who he is or how he gets away with it.

The movie somewhat inevitably cheapens the consequences of its action; people die or get injured only when it's convenient for the plot, despite frequent car crashes, and the only real collateral damage from all the mayhem is a homeless guy's cart that they all laugh about (despite the fact that they came a few feet from accidentally killing the guy and probably destroyed his only property). Hilarious. The hero's jail time is likewise scoffed at. That's why it's kind of hard to feel bad for the one guy who actually dies during all this drag racing; everyone is basically a psychopath but suddenly they care about this one twerp who got killed and feel the need to take revenge.

The movie's upside comes from the visuals of the 3D chases and the occasional mild laugh (this movie needed more of Rami Malek, as many movies do). The car chasing does look good. If that's all you want out of this movie, you'll be satisfied.
  12. Mar 17, 2014
    This movie was probably the most morally challenged flick I have seen in quite a while. I had a hard time getting past the total disregard for other motorist safety. This movie seemed to glorify causing harm and/or property damage to others. I Love a good action movie unfortunately, this one was devoid of any common sense or any real story line. Really Disappointing.
  13. Mar 16, 2014
    It's a shame this film waste such a talent that is Aaron Paul after his performance in one of the greatest TV dramas of all time, Breaking Bad. Videos games don't make great films because it's hard to transform a game (especially one that's all about the gameplay like NFS in this case) into a film with a coherent story. Even games with a brilliant storyline (FF) have been unsuccessful in films. I still have high hopes that one day, there will be a good video game adaptation. I heard they're going to adapt AC and TLoU (mostly story-based games) but adapting NFS is like adapting Bejeweled as NFS has never been about story or characters.

I knew this film was going to be bad from the beginning and it's not just because of the "video game adaptations make bad films" trend but because the execution is pure F&F, all sexy sport cars but little on the substances. Alas, and unfortunately, my predictions were right. I've seen far too many movies that I can tell if a film is going to be bad or good just by watching the trailer. NFS film gave away everything in the trailer, and that's always a bad sign. I decided to watch this film anyway, just for Aaron Paul.

The plot is ridiculous, getting revenge on a guy who killed his friend and then framing him (ending up in prison for 2 years) by racing in a cross-country competition against the guy. That's all there is to it plot wise and guess what happens in the end? I won't spoil it for ya but this is as thin as the plot can get and the form of revenge is just so stupid. It would be less nonsensical if he went after and kill the guy but of course, this is a NFS film. Still, you can come up with a better plot that also showcases the film's action sequences and set pieces.

There is very little characterization as there are barely anything we know about the characters except that they all love fast cars. There is no story for any of the characters making them just as stock and cliche like many action movies; one good guy, one bad guy and one girl. It follows a tight formula without making the characters any different than we've seen before.

Although there are a couple of decent action scenes and the cast were strong, there is very little writing and that's precisely the problem with this movie. It doesn't have to be an Oscar winning movie, but a movie about fast cars should be distinct (something F&F have only, and surprisingly, done in their last two movies) because there are far too many of them with the F&F being the most popular. It's a video game adaptation and in no way is this movie a F&F rip-off but because of the execution, it definitely comes off as one. I give it a 2 just for Aaron Paul but no actor could have saved this movie from being a wreck.
  14. Apr 2, 2014
    This move was a bad**** move because i went to the moves over and over because i like it that much. I F*******ing like it they should make the second one and 3 one.
  15. Mar 16, 2014
    it's an awesome move!! I liked it more than FF. overall it was an awesome one of 2014 until now. Enjoyed it a lot......................................
  16. Apr 1, 2014
    How many people will be killed on the highways because of the release of yet another movie of this type?
    When the late, not great, Paul Walker and Vin Diesel series of films came out years back there was clearly a pickup in wannabes doing 100 mph multiple lane changes, etc. all over the country, particularly here in CA. We saw it every time we drove on the Freeways here. It had died
    down gradually in recent years...but no doubt it will be back with a vengeance now that another movie is out there to overstimulate a fresh batch of video game numbed miscreants. Oh, well, thousands of innocents will die but, hey, that's not the producers problem, right? (Unless he or his loved ones drives on the freeways!). Expand
  17. Mar 26, 2014
    Great movie! Certainly better than all the other racing movies I've seen.

The story is acceptable, the actors are very good (didn't expect less than amazing from Aaron Paul anyway) and the action scenes are marvelous.

Granted, if you compare it to the all-time masterpieces you might give it a 4, however compared to its genre and to other releases of the same type, I'd definitely give it a 9.
  18. RiZ
    Mar 16, 2014
    Awesome movie! I love F&F, but NFS much better. Why? Only cars, beautiful driving and effect of the presence, thats why. I'm a big fan of NFS video game series, and i saw many references and fan base in movie. Amazing and accurate actors play, human qualities and whole movie duration keeps us in suspense. Also very cool filmed, amazing views and angles, amazing sounds. I'm sure, that movie will be legendary also like classic "gone in 60 seconds", "vanishing point" and "Smokey and the Bandit" (Pontiac Firebird in NFS movie is great moment)) NFS movie - Live Legend. All in the best traditions and canons NFS series.
    P.S.: F&F? Whats is?

10 of 10.
  19. Mar 16, 2014
    As one knows, acquiring the name of a driving game franchise immediately legitimizes a movie adaptation, giving unique character needed to differentiate it from Fast and Furious. Regardless of how thin plot from any Need for Speed games are, the movie manages to trip itself with overly inconceivably ridiculous story and actually failing an already low expectation. It's a fusion of hot mess with barely any charisma, only offering display of expensive cars, as the movie constantly brags, and high level of stupidity on everything it does. Fans would be better off attending car shows.

Story is completely absurd, while motivations are necessary as reasons for the lethal unlawful races, the movie would've been better if characters would just race randomly. They make plot holes in every turns; it has surpassed the redeeming point long before they reach finish line. People would do things so numbingly reckless simply because Fast and Furious clearly inspired them, not to mention script and screenplay are done haphazardly, there's little to no humor or emotional investment to be had.

Aaron Paul as Tobey Marshall tries to put some sense of personality with gruff voice. He looks tense and worried in almost all scenes, probably trying to decipher of the script. Imogen Poots as Julia Maddon is a complete waste of space. Never mind it's stupid for a car dealer to be involved deeply in the first place, she has neither charm nor wit to hold a scene. Probably the purpose she's badly shoehorned is she's blond and has thick English accent, a supposed independent love interest, but she's just nagging, yelling obvious things or trying to ensure the audience how radical the stunts are.

The rest of ragtag team is stereotype support characters, such as the savvy mechanic, another savvy mechanic who can only be differentiated by stripping erratically, and a pilot who arrives timely with array of aerial vehicles, always cracking jokes. The movie never decides whether they are a fully coordinated team or just a bunch of clowns. And there's Michael Keaton, who passionately wants to sell the movie as if he's a used car salesman. Throwing high tag prices and misleading dramatization of what's actually a life-threatening road rage disguised as a race on par with F1, where the participants are constantly facing the threat of death or incarceration. He does a good job or narrating crash near a bus school and mocking the police as cool things.

Its racing scenes are admittedly pretty decent. There are some scenes that utilize camera angles very well, like occasional drivers' perspective or strategically placed shots of near misses and crashes. They exhibit orotund energy, conveying the fast heated rivalry. If only the movie focuses more on this aspect instead of the nonsensical plot, doesn't try too hard to be pretentiously dramatic or funny, it could've been fun to watch. Furthermore, the movie is about two hours, that's a lot of time to drive in obscurity.

With idiotic story, poor attempt on comedy and altogether bad acting, Need for Speed ruins yet another video game adaptation and hopefully crashes so terribly, there won't be a sequel.
  20. Jul 15, 2014
    With the most generic plot for a racing related film ever, Not to mention the god awful acting that is hurt even more by the god awful dialogue. The racing scenes weren't even entertaining in the slightest. What a disappointment.
  21. Mar 22, 2014
    This movie was better than alright. Not quite "good" though.
    The good: Aaron Paul. He's got a lot of stupid lines to deliver in this movie, but with his subtle tormented acting style not one of them comes off sounding cheesy or forced. That he can make such terrible writing sound organic is worthy of some kind of award.
    Imogen Poots. She is a believable person and real sparks are
    bouncing between her and Aaron Paul, even if her character is completely ridiculous. If only I had a friend who would pay me 3 million dollars to build an uber car and then be willing to loan the finished product back to me!
    The bad: The plot. It was so predictable it may even have been ripped off from another racing movie. Don't get me wrong. There are individual pieces of it that are good. The part in the convince store for instance. That sequence is, in itself, quite effective. And there are other bits of the film like that. Its that the over-arching plot is so dumb and predictable. The villain is so bland and one dimensional I don't even recall his name. He was just rich douche in leather coat. Its refreshing the main character has an entire team of people helping him race, but not one of them is memorable or really original. Or likable for that matter. We are supposed to accept that these monkeys are car mechanic/support crew extraordinaire and I don't even think we ever see one of them so much as holding a wrench. Probably because it would look so unnatural.

The ugly: Car wrecks! Car wrecks everywhere! OK this is a reason to see the film. Unlike the Fast and the Furious franchise Need For Speed was shot with a minimum of CGI special effects. They used as many conventional effects as they could pull off. And you can tell. When a window gets smashed for a scene the stunt glass is still there in the next. Still looking real. The car crashes, with one fireball exception, all look real. Vehicle damage and driving physics is believable and consistent throughout. And the world it is set in. Its not sanitized in the way Fast and Furious has become. When they force a car to run into the ditch because they are doing something very illegal, speeding the wrong way down a freeway for instance, you get the feeling whoever was in that car got hurt.
    You very much get the sensation in this film that the cops are not just bitter old men trying to stop fun, but rather actually trying to protect the public from the colossal amount of damage these street racers cause.
    Basically it comes down to this. If you are a big fan of car chase and car racing films then you can't miss out on this gem. If you are looking for something with character development and a plot that makes sense, you can find more of that in a single episode of Braking Bad. You're better off watching that.
  22. Mar 17, 2014
    Best Breaking Bad sequel. Just amazing. As Jessie Pinkman returns to becoming a Meth addict, Walter White gets resurrected from the dead as they both take over the Meth industry.
  23. Mar 16, 2014
    I had no problem watching it. Aaron Paul was good, Imogen Poots was good, the rest of the cast sucked, but you shouldn't go to this movie for the acting. My problem with the stuns is that I found them intense and a bit disturbing rather than entertaining. They're so realistic that it seems brutal when they occur. Overall, a perfectly decent movie to pass the time til May.
  24. lox
    May 19, 2014
    Need For Speed has exotic sports car eye-candy and an adequate lead from Aaron Paul going for it, but not much else thanks to an insipid script. Riddled with boring moments, an overused and annoying Michael Keaton, corny humor from Kid Cudi, methodical plot points, a few pointless camera shots, some unconvincing performances from the supporting cast, generic dialogue and unremarkable race sequences, I was longing for it to end an hour in. A chore to sit through, Need For Speed and its two-dimensional characters left me relieved when it was over, not satisfied. Expand
  25. Mar 15, 2014
    I was really looking forward to this action-packed adventure, mainly because of Aaron Paul! Ever since "Breaking Bad" ended, I've been waiting to see each of those actors see what they could do on the big screen. And still, I received a great Aaron Paul performance, but not enough of a good movie. "Need For Speed" is a murky action movie with a lame and cliched story and an often murky screenplay. The acting from pretty much everyone else in the movie didn't even stand a chance in comparison to Aaron Paul and even Michael Keaton. The chemistry from the main cast didn't work. They looked like they had fun playing off each other, but there was no spark between any of them; with the exception of Aaron Paul and Imogen Poots. The chemistry between actually and surprisingly worked. Even though their relationship is cliched, you end up buying it. Overall, "Need For Speed" is a disappointing action-thrill ride that only presents great action and Aaron Paul, but essentially fails at everything else. I give it a C! Expand
  26. Apr 18, 2014
    I honestly don't get the low rating of the movie. The movie was really good for me and it has to be one of my favorites. I am a fan of Fast and Furious, but I did my best not to compare. Its a movie about cars, and rivalry I guess. What more can a person ask for? The cast was perfect, and there were amazing cars in the movie. Sometimes people get too technical, and they look for negative things that shouldn't be looked upon in the first place. I would recommend this movie with no hesitation whatsoever. Expand
  27. Mar 21, 2014
    Need For Speed is a excellent movie... Critics claim that the movie's scenes make them feel emotions, and that is why they give it low ratings - HOWEVER that is the goal of the writers, producers and directors of all movies. And now that Need For Speed has succeeded to do so to many reviewers, they complain about it. For me, it's a good thing that emotions are manipulated by the actors' work. And most who complain about the 'brutality' of some scenes (personally I didn't regard them as brutal, but that's just my opinion) are forgetting that - It's only a movie! A great movie at that! Watch the movie, enjoy and write about your opinion.... Just look at the user score vs critic score! Expand
  28. Mar 16, 2014
    is the best racing movie that i have seen before like fast an furious 1 ,2,3 the others aren't racing need for speed is more realistic i liked very much
  29. Mar 16, 2014
    For real just ignore all the bad reviews, if you like fast cars, if you like racing movies, if you like the Fast and Furious movies or if you are a fan of the the Need for Speed games you will really have a good time seeing this movie. I loved it, I didnt care if story isnt the best, or that the cast besides Aaron Paul is not the best, I enjoyed the ride, the races and stunts are really awesome and realistic without CGI, I was impressed !

Its an awesome movie
  30. Mar 21, 2014
    If im going to say one thing its this, Fast and Furious has a fight now and its already loosing in this one movie there is more police chases more racing and much much higher speeds despite the fact that the race at the end may have been biased towards a specific car, but finally a story that means something. I hope though that they don't crap on this by making a sequel.
  31. Mar 16, 2014
    Need for Speed was one of the single best movies I have ever seen. It was pretty stupid, I'm not going to lie, but it was the best type of stupid. May have surpassed Deep Blue Sea as my favorite guilty pleasure movie
  32. Mar 23, 2014
    What producers have against supervisory script? Is it so bad read it and who wrote it have to do something decent? Or better, send the director to stop putting shameful and unimportant scenes? Or even to ask where I was thinking when I gave someone money to do this? Hollywood Why Why? making a film with a weak story, useless, shameful stereotypical characters and actors more shameful still, except for Aaron Paul, and how flashy single chase scenes potent cloying but soon will not bring money or fame only attestations of decay. Expand
  33. Mar 16, 2014
    Esto es una verdadera pena, lo que pensamos que era un actor en una carrera bastante provocativa se convierte en algo que el dinero puede corromper fácilmente y resulta que el actor Aaron Paul desperdicia talento en esta película, aparte que todos ya sabemos que la química entre personajes masculinos vacíos y autos lindos es una verdadera estupidez y nunca funciona, también cabe mencionar que "La ley de Murphy" dice que las películas basadas en videojuegos nunca son ni van a ser buenas; obviamente Need for Speed no es una excepción. Expand
  34. May 26, 2014
    Need for speed delivers the high action racing scenes with very nice cars and some good dramatic tone but it lacks a good narrtitave ..it kind of feels like a average racing movie with nothing really added to the movie genre.
  35. Mar 15, 2014
    Saw movie, left feeling confused? Not really what i expected from it. I want to see a sequel to this movie, but not sure how better or worse it can get. Go see the movie but don't expect it to be better than a 5-6 out of 10
  36. Mar 16, 2014
    What sucks about reviews is the people reviewing. If you expect a good, well written movie, don't review a movie based on a video game and expect anything more than that. For those of us who know the games and know how cheesy the plot line and characters are, and are SUPPOSED to be, we get it and love it. Everything done in the mustang was plausible given the amount of money put into the car. And I think anyone giving a bad review needs to go to a theatre with RPX Real 3D or Dbox seating and re-watch it. You'll love it!! Expand
  37. Mar 21, 2014
    I'm a little shocked that so many critics slammed this movie. It's actually quite a lot of fun and the female lead is spectacularly beautiful. See it on the big screen or don't see it all.
  38. Mar 17, 2014
    Going into this film I didn't expect much other than Aaron Paul to be honest. Being a huge Breaking Bad fan I wanted to see these actors go into other projects and see how they do, Need for Speed however was a wasted potential. With generic characters, and a bland story not even the cars could save this train wreck of a racing movie. The only thing that I found remotely interesting about it is well... the car chases and even then the movie was boring and un-stylized. Expand
  39. Mar 18, 2014
    If you want to see a movie about Mustangs, then this is definitely for you. If you were hoping for interesting races with a diverse range of cars, then you'll be disappointed.
  40. Mar 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't see why this movie has a score of 40. If one has half a brain, they will clearly see the developed plot throughout the film. Car fans, this is the movie for us. Speed, fire, smoke, drifts, crashes, etc. There isn't any set of words that describe how fantastic this movie is.
    10/10 will purchase.
  41. Mar 21, 2014
    Not as fun as it wants to be, Though I have to admit it has a lot of really well done action sequences, And one of the best street racing sequences you will ever see
  42. May 6, 2014
    I don't understand why people complain about car's movies. We got something that doesn't fall in drugs/alcohol/sex/prohibition, and just bases on cars, just like NFS games. There are a lot of reference to the game, without falling in the fan service.
    I had a good time with this movie, no matter what are though people '' shocked '' because they saw two cars being in infraction.
  43. May 9, 2014
    Hmm... Actually, those who says that this movie sucks, sucks... It's one of the best racing movies, I've ever watched... I'll b waiting for the return of need for speed... My score 10 is too less for this, I wished I could boost it up by 370km/h..
  44. Jul 23, 2014
    The movie put up on the scene what is happening when you play the already famous game. Rivalry races , cops chases and a lot of crashes. Given that , it's a good movie , maybe not as good as Fast 2 Furious series , but it;s worth seeing it
  45. Aug 17, 2014
    Boring ass story, boring ass action scenes. It somehow gets a 6.9 rating. Well, I'm here to lower it! This movie was boring and just plain stupid. **** this movie.
  46. Mar 21, 2014
    Aaron Paul sells out in his first major role since "Breaking Bad," but maybe it takes a strong actor like him to carry off this predictable story and these obvious emotions. He plays a wrongfully accused street racer who speeds across country to compete in an absurd competition. Along the way, there's plenty of fast driving, but little of it shows off fancy direction. Some of the crashes are spectacular and there's one stunt that's impressive. Even though the cast is enjoyable, the writing is simply painful and the action isn't strong enough to put it in the fast lane. Expand
  47. Mar 27, 2014
    Another video game adaptation done wrong. As a fan of the franchise, it's like they took the good parts from the games, and make stuff up as they go along. Some of the games have a plot, most of it consists of racing. Just from the poster, it looks like a Fast and the Furious knock off. It's plot is uninteresting, the characters are unlikeable and flat, the writing is beyond lazy, and the racing scenes are boring. you'll be better off watching Bullitt, Ronin, Death Race 2000, or better yet play the Need For Speed video games. They're more entertaining than this unfinished demo reel. Expand
  48. Aug 25, 2014
    Not only is it a great way to hold yourself over until Fast & Furious 7 comes out, it's a good enough movie on it's own to compete with it. Filled with plenty of awesome races, action, and humor, as well as a great story with believable characters, you might not be able to find a better automotive-type movie like this one outside of the well-loved F&F series.

For me it succeeds first
    and foremost thanks to it's awesome casting and character writing. Aaron Paul is awesome as the lead, Dominic Cooper makes for a great villain, and Michael Keaton's character is just crazy fun. The rest of the supporting cast (which includes an enjoyable Imogen Poots) are just as great with their characters. The brotherly love Paul's character shares with his friends is believable, making his motives feel natural.

The plot does have a familiar revenge tale that can lead to a lot of predictable moments with how things turn out, but the movie remains fun throughout. It does exactly what this type of movie should do; make you want to get behind the wheel and drive fast. In my eyes it manages to avoid the curse that most video games movies have fallen prey to, and that's completely sucking. It's a heck of a lot of fun and gives the F&F series a run for it's money. I give it an 8.5/10.
  49. Jul 17, 2014
    The car scenes are nicely shot, paying a great deal of homage to the videogames. If only the screenplay hadn't been written by 4 years old douchebags and the acting wasn't only divided between "staring at a blank mirror" and "I can't relieve myself since a week but I'm gonna try right now" it might have not bored me to death.
  50. Mar 30, 2014
    imagine if Fast and Furious wasn't as good as it is. That's Need For Speed. It's not atrocious per se but it's still far from good. Writing, acting, directing, special effects, nothing is exemplary in the slightest.
  51. May 9, 2014
    Fun as hell, the dumbest plot I think I might have seen. If you love cars, and the sound of an engine this is your movie. Three races that pump adrenaline and take their time to start and finish, a ton of Highway driving and such as well, but this movie does such a great job catching street racing action that you will just lose yourself in this movies amazing racing scenes. Come for the ride, stay for the drive. This movie has no plot, expect racing not thought, just engine. Expand
  52. Jul 29, 2014
    If Marvel turns their comic books into the movies and WWE with their men then why not EA. It was co-produced by EA with the other leading production houses. Nice move for the first step and well done overall. I am not into the computer games, but I was playing when I was young and 'NFS Most Wanted' is one of my favorites. No need to say any further that I was looking for this movie.

I
    thought the story will be borrowed straight from the game and move a level after another to the peak till the end commence. But what I saw was only the 5%, I mean only the introduction with lots of drama than what the title symbolizes. Because it is a business, a smart move by the production house. The idea is to split everything into at least for 4 to 5 movies in the series. Like what the final part of the Harry Potter's 'The Deathly Hallows' and The Twilight's 'Breaking Dawn' did. They are going to do it here from the very beginning, so don't expect like the Himalayas, especially if you are NFS MW freak.

Tobey Marshall, a custom car maker who is behind the loan takes up the street race challenge to make few bucks quick. But the race ends in a tragedy and locked behind the bars for someone's fault. After out of the prison he's raged to avenge. Now he needs a car, the faster one, so the story proceeds with his new adventures which involves cops pursuing him. But he set his mind that to make the real offender to pay for his crime. This road movie, which commence in New York and ends in San Francisco was told grandly.

‘‘The racers should race,
    cops should eat donuts.’’

No offense, but I did not like the lead guy, except him the rest were great. It is not fair to find defect in him to blame, actually he was good, but I expected someone good looking than him or existing young popular star. If you see in other franchises in the middle of the movie series they replacing with industry's giant and I won't surprise if that happens in the future for this. In the game we are the protagonists and to see him in our position I kind of find uncomfortable. Maybe it could have happened same to me if the other guys were in his place. So it is not the lead guy, but he's not anywhere near to me is the issue. Lol.

Overall movie is not one breathtaking entertainment. I liked the pieces of the movie, the scenes. There are a few great scenes that give excitement and pleasure. Commonly we see a computer hacker who hangs out with the movie's protagonist to assist in his expertise area. The same guy here was excellent who came up with extraordinary ideas, but not satisfied with what happens to him at the end. I could not believe this young and not-so-popular cast done the wonderful job. I don't know why I liked Imogen Poots a lot who even not had best shot from the movie, hopefully in a sequel she going to expose her physical strength for the stunts.

The first movie in a movie series is always very important & I don't know why they didn't go to complete the action-adventure pack with sufficient pace. To me the story was not pleased enough, but screen presentation with the game like the angle of the camera panning and all promised me to stick with it. There were no locations that are taken from the game except in one scene where the car jumps over the road. If you have played the game will know it what I am saying. The digital 3D was okay. What I learnt from this format is that only graphical movies either animated or live action are awesome to watch. The normal regular live shot movies are totally useless in digital 3D. In this movie the best effects came in those stunt sequences and rest were plain. So digital 3D is not that worth. The car movie that does not look like a where it belongs to. A decent one, hopefully the second movie could be what I am expecting. Better it should come up with something great or the franchise is going to fall in the pit. This movie is exclusively for youngsters & I see no reason for others to take interest on it.

7.5/10
  53. Aug 31, 2014
    " I do not fear, for you are with me. All those who defied me, shall be ashamed and disgraced. Those who wage war against me, shall perish. I will find strength, find guidance, and I will triumph." - Tobey Marshall

I like this movie because is not with impossible stunts and is only with cars, races.
  54. Aug 9, 2014
    Positives: Aaron Paul, great car racing scenes
    Negatives: Weak screenplay, major script problems
    Overview: Some really cool scenes with an actor I like, but some terrible dialogue and a lot of inconsistencies.
    Grade: C
  55. Aug 26, 2014
    Total disgrace to the Need for Speed game franchise. An absolute cash grab. How ANYBODY could even think this movie is good blows my mind. Unless if you enjoy watching terrible actors in cliched roles. I was so glad when Pete died. I would have gone mad watching that stupid grin, and useless one-liners for 2 hours. Please, if you're a fan of the Need for Speed games, avoid at all costs.
  56. Aug 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a load of garbage. It had a few good scenes here and there but overall it was a horrible movie. Story is horrible, Tobey Marshall has no problems endangering other people in their street races but when his friend dies oh no its the end of the world wtf. Main actors (Aaron Paul) face looks like he just jumped out of some comedy and I just couldn't take him seriously. Actually the acting in general was very bad, well ok Michael Keaton did good playing Monarch. Expand
  57. Mar 18, 2014
    Esta reseña es para los verdaderos fans (dueños o no) de los autos.

Fuí a ver Need for Speed, en el mar de estupidez que dejo convertido, Fast Five (FF saga), el género de autos y racing en el cine. (Ok, no existe tal cosa como género, pero digamos que sutilmente está presente). Y me encontré con una película, producida con el ojo maldito-bendito de Electronic Arts. Un ojo que produce
    un icono del racing en los VG y que llevan haciéndolo desde hace muchísimo tiempo. Esto por su puesto me encantó, y ahora les diré por qué.

1.- Aterrizaron una realidad.

Dejaron claro que las carreras en calles citadinas no van a cientos de kilómetros por hora, en su defecto dejaron las tomas de falsa velocidad y optaron por jugar con otro tipo de encuadre que permite lucir de forma delicada lo difícil e interesante que es una carrera de baja o media velocidad. Las cámaras no le hacen justicia a la velocidad, pero preferible la realidad y buenos encuadres que una exageración de efectos que dejen al publico más bobo de lo que está en lugar de educarlos con el ejemplo.

Por cierto, y esto me encantó; dejaron claro que el mundo oscuro de las carreras de este tipo ni hay mujeres en paños menores moviendo el culo con canciones de regueton, ni hay los cientos de tipos extremadamente ricos aventando dinero. Sería una falta de educación reproducir lo mismo que F&F.

2.- Los autos.

Si bien nos deleitan con clásicos muscle cars en la primer carrera, la película va introduciendo de forma gradual y sutil, los autos que nos emocionan, y más saber en que forma los dejan verse. Tener 6 de los mejores autos de gama millonaria y colocar entre ellos a Veyron y Sesto Elemento fue no solo una buena razón para verla si no un muy buen acierto al dejar los pilotos con sus respectivos autos en la película. Al verla me darán la razón. El fanfarrón siempre usa el auto con mayor posibilidad de vencer, por que no es lo suficientemente talentoso.

3.- La pasión.

La forma de ver la película solo se puede digerir si uno ha experimentado antes la velocidad. Esto es por que muchas de las maniobras que se ejecutan podrían ser sencillas a la vista pero son un implacable golpe de emoción para quien comprende la complejidad y riesgo (a pesar de ser una película) que conlleva realizarlas.

Insisto, la verdadera pasión por la velocidad esta representada en la película, desde el personaje principal, hasta la ultima carrera, que se vuelve de las escenas más memorables que el género ha visto.
    4.- Need For Speed.

Si usted conoce de Need for Speed y los ha jugado a lo largo de su evolución le puedo decir: Me sentí en Need for Speed, sentí las situaciones, la susceptibilidad de un auto a gran velocidad de ser destruido por una infinidad de razones. Es Need for Speed, es una película digna del Videogame.

5.- Suficiente.

La película tiene la narrativa y situaciones lo suficientemente atractivos y bien realizados que no se necesitaron tanques, capos de la droga y demás para exponer de forma magistral el género racing. Al principio, tenemos un leve plano que desaparece pronto y permite a la trama desenvolverse, solo es un momento en que la película es plana.

Calificación 9.0

Es la película que el género necesitaba, después de los documentales Senna y KAZ, el racing es un género atípico que cualquiera puede profanar, pero pocos han podido generar marca entre los fans. Estamos frente a un ejemplo de esto. Ahora solo nos queda esperar a Gran Turismo.

¿Por que 9 y no 10?
    Aaron Paul crece como actor pero se necesita más que eso para creer que puede conducir así.

No vimos modelos asiáticos. Pero eso también puede significar que la siguiente película los incluirá; esperemos que haya segunda película con trama y personajes diferentes.

Al parecer se concentraron en la producción y mezcla del soundFX que olvidaron que la banda sonora es muy importante y solo tiene un par de brillos en la película.
  58. Jul 14, 2014
    While you wouldn't expect a movie about illegal street racing, based on a video game to be very complicated the story and plot of Need for speed is so docile its hard to not cringe. I don't mind that its glorifying dangerous driving, but having the main character appear to be some sort of great guy while he nearly runs a bus full of children of the road is just bad writing. Ive played NFS games for years and the movie has found some great locations that felt like they were out of the games and there is some great cars. But overall the action felt drab, with no coherency in plot and a ridiculous revenge story the francize should stick to games with no story. Expand
  59. LTR
    Aug 24, 2014
    This is an average racing film. The story is pretty good, the characters are some what interesting, the racing scenes are okay and is one of the better video game movies.
  60. Mar 16, 2014
    not a perfect movie, but still very good. the characters and story were alright and not unlikable. the racing scenes were done well too, as well as the police chases, and the cars looked great. i saw the movie in 3d, however there was barely anything 3d about it. it's not worth the extra money to see in 3d. sometimes the movies logic is a bit questionable, like the jail sentences which are completely unrealistic and the physics, which at times make no sense, and sometimes act in a way of plot convenience. despite this, it's a pretty enjoyable film, that's worth watching. Expand
  61. Oct 17, 2014
    I believed was impossible to make an so awful movie with 1 milion dollars cars, explosions, frenetics chases and so on. I have been unearthing that its possible.
  62. Jul 19, 2014
    Need for Speed is undeniably sleek and stylish, but those qualities are completely wasted on a disjointed script and ridiculous premise, leaving it not quite as well oiled as it cars.
  63. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i am actually surprised that critics made the right judgment but the actual viewers **** up lol how can u give this movie anything higher than 4, directing was somewhat ok, actors omg they are soo ameture, u feel that they are acting all the time they never felt like pros or did a movie before except one of them i cant remember his name right now but he was in one of the fast and furious movies. anyways story was the best thing about the movie but acting and directing this movie totally ruined the story and entire movie. thank god i didnt go to movies for this garbage its barely worth 4.99, i was curious about it thats why i watched it. only good thing this movie is the cars and the sound thats about it rest is useless Expand
  64. Mar 25, 2014
    i'm not the biggest fan of cars but i am a sucker for video game movie adaptations, i felt that this was a really good movie that i found easy to follow with a lot of loveable characters in it. it had a deeper story than i was expected, although i found it to be a bit predictable at times as well. But in the end, all of the driving sequences looked great, and satisfied my need for speedy movies.
  65. Jul 29, 2014
    Need for Speed provides a decent amount of entertainment but unfortunately, in terms of plot, characters and action set pieces, this one need some refueling.
  66. Mar 26, 2014
    A movie that keeps you at the edge of your seat and at times quiver with excitement, the “Need for Speed” movie is full of adrenaline with a slight tinge of comedy. It’s a movie for all car lovers featuring various hyper cars. Convicted for a crime he did not commit, Tobey Marshall (Aaron Paul), gets out of jail to hunt down the person who actually committed the crime. From the high speed racing to the crashes shown in the driver’s point of view, I loved it all. I am always interested in car movies but this one was one of its kind. This movie is based on the game by EA, “Need for Speed”. Expand
  67. Mar 15, 2014
    I thought the movie was great. It paid a great deal of respect to the origins and set up of the Need for Speed world. Packed full of hardcore racing just as I recalled in the game and just like in the game police got involved and things got broken. If you've never played the game then you just don't get it. Need for Speed lives up to the game and it was just as fun a ride. And, I pray to God no movie makes anyone want to go street racing. It's stupid and you will hurt someone. Leave that stuff to the pro drivers it is not for mortal men. Expand
  68. chw
    Aug 21, 2014
    Need for Speed wasn't as terrible as the movie critics say it is. I'd probably buy it, and I don't buy movies that are even decent. Wasn't as great as The Fast and the Furious movies, but still a must-see.
  69. Mar 18, 2014
    This movie was made to the gamers, and this deserve my respect. I wasn't expecting a good one, but Dreamworks shows more than just good cars and a fast climax. It's a very simple history, but I love it.
  70. Mar 23, 2014
    Come on, you guys. You were a little too harsh on this one. In no way is it a revolutionary start for awesome video game movies or Aaron Paul acting in theatre, but its still exactly what you want out of action movies. Great violence (God, that sounded cruel), little bit of humor, good acting, and fast cars. Now that sounds like some fun to me, and of course it's in this movie. The biggest problem is that it's just nothing new and has many cliches. Let's talk about the biggest attraction first: Aaron Paul. He's just as good as he should be, and his love interest is tied up with him. Supporting cast? Nothing more than good. Is it too similiar to Fast and Furious? Some elements are taken straight out of it, but it still feels like Need for Speed very much. The action here is what you'd expect. Cars get damaged and or blown up, but it's introduced amazingly, both looks and awesomeness. The cliche? One of the biggest themes is "oh I need to get payback on this guy for killing my friend let's go". Hate it? So do I. Yet, I still enjoyed this flick and walked out thinking it was good. Expand
  71. Mar 23, 2014
    If you are a Hollywood snob then I am sure you can find many faults with any movie. In my opinion, these people need to stop reviewing movies as most of us don't care if they stand up to what their college professor told them should be in a movie.

If you're like me and go to the movies to have a good time, this one delivers. The action is great, the storyline is engaging, the acting
    believable and satisfying. There is no nudity (well, one guy butt but it's a comedy piece), minimal swearing and no blood.

I took my 8 and 11 year olds to see it and we had a blast, not once did I worry that any part was too adult for them.

Aaron Paul (Jesse Pinkman) is really great and I was happy to see him in something besides breaking bad. Hopefully the start to a long career for him and everyone else who worked hard on the movie. Also, the end is straight out of a Need For Speed video game, it was just tremendous fun!
  72. Mar 25, 2014
    If you're expecting fast cars, amazing chase scenes, big crashes, crazy stunts, and a cute sidekick girl who may just fall for the bad boy, this is your movie. If you're expecting innovative plots and cool character development, forget it. NFS is a joyride in stunt movie-making. Thrilling, exciting, and fun, this movie delivers more octane than some other movies of it's genre. If you're looking to feel young and don't expect much out of this movie, you'll like it. It's not a stinker, but being a predictable plot and the characters being cardboard, it won't win awards. But boy it was fun. Expand
  73. Apr 2, 2014
    This movie, is atrocious. I'm giving it the score of 1, and that is through sheer generosity. The acting is appauling. Aaron Paul deserves so much better than this trashy script. if I enjoyed anything, it'd be the chick. She was hot. Other than that, this movie, really is a 0/10. Cringeworthy.
  74. Aug 23, 2014
    I liked it mostly because I always kept up with NFS series since it started and I liked the racing with exotic cars and muscle cars, the end was ok but that's it.
  75. Mar 31, 2014
    This movie is okay. Is don,t a big movie is a slow movie whit so few acción. This is a copy of fast and furiosos if you think that this movie is gonna be incredible you are bad, this movie is decepcionaly from an a video game adaptation. This movie it's to stay whit FRIENDS but you say is SO BAD, and This movie is dont good.
  76. Apr 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Need For Speed is an okay movie if you can get past some of the mistakes that were made. The movie is basically just a giant chase scene leading up to the big race. Even though the movie may seem to have some kind of character development, what is shown is all you know.
    For instance, there are multiple scenes where a pilot simply appears in a new plane or helicopter. He even shows up in an Apache helicopter, and nobody seems to care until after he helped the main characters out of a tough situation by lifting them away to safety using high strength cables.
    One of the biggest mistakes I noticed was THE WHOLE MOVIE!! Tobey introduces the idea of racing the Mustang that he finished into the biggest private race of the year. The final race is full of cars that hold world records for speed, acceleration, and agility. All of these cars can reach at least a top speed of 225. Tobey's car has a top speed of over 230, but can't accelerate, turn, or brake as fast as the others. It is almost as if the film crew filmed the last race first, then skipped to the beginning, then as they were 3/4 of the way through filming the scenes were the Mustang appears, they realize that the American muscle car is way to slow to race European super cars. So they go along and decide to destroy the Mustang so Tobey could find the car that killed one of his best friends, and race that car in the final scene. The Mustang is almost like a fill in car until they get to the important parts. However, the movie has its moments. The characters are archetypal, but surprisingly have some development throughout the movie considering this movie is a street racing movie. There was a lot of time and money put into this movie, and it shows. And yes, all of the cars were real, and were destroyed.
  77. Aug 16, 2014
    At first I thought the movie is going to be terrible because critics didn't like it. But For Now, I like it. Car Races and Crashes, Really Amazing. Sound Mixing, Terrific. The Part where the guy was naked. Really Funny and a little bit Disturbing because it shows the guy's bottom. But Still, Terrific Movie Based on a Video Game.
  78. Apr 8, 2014
    What made The Fast and the Furious an enjoyable film series is that it wasn't just about the fast cars, but the family that enjoyed them. Dom, Brian, Mia etc. Need for Speed is The Fast and the Furious without the family element, they try to portray it but you never get a feel for it since most of the movie involved being inside a car. The lacking in character development is the reason why the characters don't leave a lasting impression.
    But if you are a fan of the classic Need for Speed video games, you will know that it's all about running from the cops in the best car you can afford. If that's what you're after then this movie is for you. Overall, it is an enjoyable movie, so long as you're not asking for more than 132 mins of dazzle.
  79. Apr 9, 2014
    This is a beautiful movie and I was not expecting it to be as good as it was. I was shocked at how well made the story was, the races, the comedy, and about anything else.

I really like super cars, so seeing them in 3D was perfection. But I am not a fan of movies with the racing genre, if there is a sequel for Need For Speed I will most likely be seeing it.
  80. Apr 9, 2014
    I think that Need for Speed is an action packed, non- stopped thrill ride about a street racer recently out of prison and out for revenge for childhood friend's death.
  81. Apr 18, 2014
    Not a very well done racing movie. The one really positive thing I can say about this movie was Aaron Paul's acting was really well done. The race scenes were boring and really clichéd and didn't live up to the standards I was hoping for.
  82. Apr 22, 2014
    If you liked the game it means that you like the NFS Hot pursuit atmosphere. And this movie is just that! Unrealistic arcade drive with first person camera angle and hot cars you don't see every day on the street. Blowing cars and flying cops, tuned up with nice soundtrack would make you remember it's a Need For Speed movie. It's almost nothing more than that, but exactly what you're expecting from the title. Expand
  83. Aug 18, 2014
    It's a car-movie. If you're complaining about a shallow story then you're looking in the wrong genre. Of course it was going to be a basic story-line, it's a movie on one of the games with the most ridiculous stories ever, what else did you expect??

Great action, great POV cams and nicer cars than what we've seen in a movie in quite a few years. I loved it.
  84. Apr 26, 2014
    Un bon film plutôt plaisant, et distrayant. Pas trop de prise de tête, ni de réflexion inutile, c'est un film à voir détendu. Il n'y a pas d'erreur flagrante de réalisation, les événements s'enchaînent bien et on a pas le temps de s'ennuyer. Et retrouver Aaron Paul après Breaking Bad était intéressant. Dans l'ensemble, c'est ce à quoi je m'attendais. Le bilan est très positif.
  85. May 11, 2014
    The story in Need for Speed was excellent and well developed. The realism of the car crashes was part of the reason the movie was so great. You'll never get bored watching Need for Speed, with captivating romance and comedy. The action sequences are great, exciting and suspenseful. With such a well developed story and great cast, you would have to try to dislike this movie.

This movie
    has action, romance, and comedy tied together perfectly. Watch it with an open mind, you'll enjoy it. Expand
  86. Oct 14, 2014
    As usual, the smug liberal hipster critics with broomsticks up their you know whats... are making their usual puns they think are clever to bash a movie they could never understand. If it's not a movie about a gay man finding himself or a drama about a young boy getting picked on they want nothing to do with it.

If you love cars, you'll LOVE this move.. If you love need for speed, you
    will LOVE this movie, if you like high adrenaline palm sweating over the top action, you will LOVE this move. I LOVE this movie.

So glad someone is willing to make this even though they know the critics have their heads between their legs.
  87. Jul 15, 2014
    Since when DrimWorks requests work on blockbusters to the cleaners? Say that the potential was huge - not to say anything. If successful, it was possible to create as many sequels that many films never dreamed of. But. Acting, scenario, camera work, music (sometimes it seems that it forgot to put in the film) - do not deserve the name of the famous series such as play. As for the acting skills of the protagonist, the right director correctly adjusted it. But. Expand
  88. JcD
    Jul 17, 2014
    Playing the game since i was a kid, i'm happy to see that this was a good movie. I hope it will be part 2 also. Absolutely no comparison with fast and furious boredom.
  89. Jul 24, 2014
    Really good movie, really good story, really good acting... Aaron Paul adopted that he is new star... Best movie ever in racing... Of course better than Fast and Furious film series, and in the end 10/10
  90. Jul 25, 2014
    I personally loved it. I don't get the low rating of the movie. The first Fast and Furious was worst. I loved the fast cars and the adrenalin, and Aaron Paul is amazing , i think he's a great actor.
  91. Sep 1, 2014
    Just like the Fast and Furious series if you looking for nothing but action then here you go. Expensive cars being drove really fast with horrible dialog is what you get and is about all you will get from movies like this.
    The one thing this movie had going for it was the use of real cars and letting the actors drive said cars, the behind the scenes and making of are worth watching.
  92. Aug 4, 2014
    An OK movie with an OK story with very poor acting and dialogues ......................................................................................................................!
  93. Aug 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not Bad at all... few funny moments - this movie is the first of it's kind, i honestly played one need for speed game on xbox years ago and it was enjoyable. i had no expectations for this film, and it turned out **** amazing! dark and gritty as **** like the way Little Pete goes out is just so brutal... this whole movie is just simply entertaining. thrilling, and pure adrenaline keeping the tone from the video games. this cinematographer/dp, Shane Hurlbut is amazing I love all the birds eye view shots! and a nod to the director, Scott Waugh for doing a fantastic job. Expand
  94. Aug 13, 2014
    This was an awesome movie, I have idea what the critics are talking about or where they're coming from. Other then what seems to be a lack of life flowing through their veins on their part, to call this a boring move. Some of it did have some different acting compared to most of hollywoods block busters, is it worse i don't know, acting that diverts it's way from hollywoods standard often seems more natural and relatable.. Personally i enjoyed every minute of it, with a good transition from story to action, i felt connected to the movie as if i could relate.. Many moments of it put me in an oh so comfortable nostalgic state where i could feel some of the good days i have seen through this movie, great movie! - Yeah the girl, i really enjoyed her character, she's smoking too!!

10/10 because i fell in love with her, other wise a 9/10.
  95. Aug 13, 2014
    This "movie" should be named: "NFS: The Advertisement of some super cars" Story is boring, action is also boring. Fast and Furious is 100x better the this "thing" You can watch this, but dont buy it! Its waste of money!
  96. Sep 5, 2014
    "Need for Speed" is just an OK movie. Nothing that will make you go crazy or say that this movie was something special but hell, it's not a boring one. Acting, plot and pretty much anything could have been better. Very forgettable and mediocre movie overall.
  97. Sep 23, 2014
    If you are looking for a decent plot, you will not find it here. The characters are corny and cliche, and the whole concept of a race for revenge is pitiful. But that was not the point of this movie.
    This movie is about stunts and action, just like the video games. The stunts get to the point of absurdity, like when a car gets a helicopter lift across a canyon. The racetrack gets
    overcrowded by discoordinated cops and gratuitous car smashing, just like my favourite racing games.
    This movie is for anyone who wants to watch fast cars and/or love the Need For Speed games.

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    Need For Speed is several different movies at once, and most of them are very stupid.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 17, 2014
    Subtle it isn't. But the entertainment rev counter more or less keeps turning over.
  3. Reviewed by: James Dyer
    Mar 17, 2014
    Less a three-lane pile-up than a minor traffic violation in a residential area. Three points for Waugh, then, and a £60 fine.