8.4

1. NancyW.
    Mar 4, 2007
    Truth is stranger than fiction. Fame at a young age has come to many a musician, only to have drugs and alcohol take down the band. Not many get a 2nd chance for musical redemption. And many who got lost along the way never find their way. I was very touched by this documentary. I was a Dolls fan but never knew what became of them, other than the obvious David Johanssen. Rent this for sure!
  2. TonyD.
    Nov 25, 2005
    It was awesome!!! It made me think about life and gave me a new perspective.
  3. AaronK.
    Nov 7, 2005
    Great Documentary, creative, intelligent, informative, and touching. The director got lucky and was able to capture the story at the perfect moment.
  4. KurtW.
    Dec 10, 2005
    Timing is everything. A moving true story about decadence, humility, redemption, and reconciliation. You can't script a story like this one because it is absolutely real. Do not miss this film.
  5. KevinS.
    Apr 18, 2006
    An absolutely wonderful movie. A wildly delightul combination of rock and roll and the Mormon church. The story is marvelously stranger than fiction.
  6. ChrisK
    Nov 20, 2005
    Wow what a documentary. A story of dreams and tragedies. of Demons and God, of falling-outs and redemption...Go see it!
  7. christineh
    Nov 24, 2005
    I have never seen anything quite like this, i almost did not believe it had really happened, but it obviously did.
  8. LClark
    Dec 9, 2005
    A great view and contrast between the life of a former rock star and his new life as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (a.k.a. Mormons). Too bad he didn't find it sooner. Humorous, unique, has artistic timeline presentation and is inspirational. I highly recommend it.

Overall, New York Doll is an affectionate (occasionally too much so) look at Arthur Kane.
  2. A tender take on life after stardom.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    A charmer whose lack of profane language or images renders it unexpectedly viable for general broadcast.