6.1

1. Jun 8, 2012
    I like independent movies and music. I like them not because they're independent, but because they break away from the mainstream to offer something different. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is the sort of movie that celebrates indie for indie's sake while attempting to appeal to the masses. It's a calculated, soulless trod through a calculated, soulless evening with calculated, soulless characters. There's not a bit of humanity in the thing. Sure, it can be seen as a celebration of the city at night, of underground music, of young love, etc. But if there's going to be a movie celebrating those things, shouldn't it be at least a little bit fun? The dull proceedings begin and end as just another Michael Cera vehicle. I have nothing against Cera, but filmmakers and producers seem to think just putting him in movies will work. Not so. He makes for a dull, meek protagonist who has what the movie thinks is excellent taste in music. Kat Dennings makes for a similarly dull, meek love interest; imagine a manic pixie dream girl as realized by a twentysomething Andie MacDowell. It's no surprise when sparks fail to fly. The movie is fairly typical for its ilk, relying heavily on cutesy moments and lame attempts at understated humor. None of it is cute or funny, making for one of the most boring trips through NYC with some of its least interesting inhabitants, a night on the town for those whose bedtimes lie between 9:30 and 10:00. Nothing of importance or interest is ever at stake, and it constantly shows; when Nick and Norah seem pretty apathetic about what they're up to, why should an audience care? And the word "Infinite" definitely fits in the title; though the movie doesn't quite reach ninety minutes, it feels like twice that. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist attempts to blend indie and mainstream sensibilities the way successful independent breakthroughs have, namely Juno and Little Miss Sunshine. With those movies, it worked. Here, it forms a toxic combination, devoid of anything resembling life or soul. Expand
  2. Mar 21, 2011

My real infatuation with this movie has to be the whole idea. It's very indie music heavy which is what I'm steeped in in real life. So I can relate very well. I also really like indie romance flicks so this movie has the best of two worlds for me. With that being said I don't blame any of you if you hate this
    movie, it's very genrelized and it works in my opinion.

Humor wise I thought this hit the spot, just enough laughs for me and none that were over the top really. The storyline had it's moments where it was a little stale but for the most part the other parts outshines them all. I say def check this out if you haven't already and especially if you like music, being hipster, romance and Micheal Cera.
  3. Apr 26, 2011
    A charming little film, and Cera's chemistry in this with his opposite number (Kat Dennings' Norah) was far more endearing than that he had with Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Ramona Flowers in Scott Pilgrim, where the romance we were supposed to buy into just came off as cold and rigid.

This said, a bit like the same Scott Pilgrim, Infinite Playlist has as much to owe to its supporting cast
    - Nick's bandmates in particular stand out in much the same way his flatmate and hangers-on did in Scott Pilgrim.

Indeed, you'll have to forgive the direct comparisons, as it's what the other half and I kept doing while watching it. You'll definitely enjoy this if you like Cera's other more recent work. While I'd say that it's lightness on the obscure Indie references makes it accessible to the majority, it is a relatively straightforward film where some character development is sorely lacking.

We were agreed it's a good little watch for a quick, cute movie, but I think a lot of our enthusiasm was carried by Cera's presence and Dennings' own performance.
  4. May 10, 2013
    One of my favorite movies of all time! Micheal and Kat acting is amazing. All of the funny jokes and cute scenes. This movie will make you smile al the way through.
  5. May 20, 2013
    Michael Cera finally grows up in this film, he is more confident, clever and his onscreen chemistry with co-star Kat Dennings is believable and enjoyable, yet the film itself plays a muddled and sometimes frustrating game.
    Nick (Cera) is depressed over the break up from his girlfriend Tris (Alexis Dziena) and spends his time making countless CDs for her in the hope that she will take him
    back. Tris continuously throws the CDs away, but another girl in the form of Norah (Dennings) is listening, and realises she has the very same taste in music as this person she has never met before.
    When they happen upon each other when Nick and his music band of gay friends are playing, they are immediately taken with each other in the most awkward of ways, much to the dismay of Tris, if she can't (or doesn't want to) have him, no one can.
    As Nick and Norah set out with Nicks friends to search for Norah's drunk friend Caroline (Ari Graynor), they continue to get to know each other in a very limited yet effective capacity, awkward conversations and extended glances at each other.
    The film jumps to many different stories throughout the run time that doesn't benefit the main plot of the film, it really should have been just Cera and Dennings, their combined capabilities in front of the camera are not fully explored in the film, and while the film is a decent flick, it doesn't quite reach the mark it seemed to promise at the enjoyable opening, it started with funny moments and decent character set up, but then brought others into the equation and lost its path.
    But the surprising pace of the film, which plays out at a steady but sometimes meaningless pace, is benefited by its brilliant soundtrack, with plenty of feel-good tunes and in the moment sounds. The other characters, mainly Nicks gay friends, make up for most of the comedy of the film, but the real humour does come from the dialogue between Nick and Norah, which obviously plays up the romanticism of it all.
    While not the cleverest or most enjoyable music laden film to come along, the film plays a good tune with its interesting characters, upbeat setting and excellent soundtrack, but the pacing of the film and the muddled plot of everything going on could have been given more care, but still a good effort.

1. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    This is the kind of sparsely plotted comedy that depends on compelling characters, but it stars two young actors defined by ironic detachment.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Wilonsky
    Plays like something crafted in a lab by 54-year-old hucksters trying to sell shit to the kids under the cheerless guise of "alternative." The only thing it's an alternative to? Good.
  3. So much goes down on Nick and Norah's one enchanted evening that the best advice is to enjoy the ride -- the actual ride -- around this vibrant new New York.