6.1

1. May 20, 2013
    Michael Cera finally grows up in this film, he is more confident, clever and his onscreen chemistry with co-star Kat Dennings is believable and enjoyable, yet the film itself plays a muddled and sometimes frustrating game.
    Nick (Cera) is depressed over the break up from his girlfriend Tris (Alexis Dziena) and spends his time making countless CDs for her in the hope that she will take him back. Tris continuously throws the CDs away, but another girl in the form of Norah (Dennings) is listening, and realises she has the very same taste in music as this person she has never met before.
    When they happen upon each other when Nick and his music band of gay friends are playing, they are immediately taken with each other in the most awkward of ways, much to the dismay of Tris, if she can't (or doesn't want to) have him, no one can.
    As Nick and Norah set out with Nicks friends to search for Norah's drunk friend Caroline (Ari Graynor), they continue to get to know each other in a very limited yet effective capacity, awkward conversations and extended glances at each other.
    The film jumps to many different stories throughout the run time that doesn't benefit the main plot of the film, it really should have been just Cera and Dennings, their combined capabilities in front of the camera are not fully explored in the film, and while the film is a decent flick, it doesn't quite reach the mark it seemed to promise at the enjoyable opening, it started with funny moments and decent character set up, but then brought others into the equation and lost its path.
    But the surprising pace of the film, which plays out at a steady but sometimes meaningless pace, is benefited by its brilliant soundtrack, with plenty of feel-good tunes and in the moment sounds. The other characters, mainly Nicks gay friends, make up for most of the comedy of the film, but the real humour does come from the dialogue between Nick and Norah, which obviously plays up the romanticism of it all.
    While not the cleverest or most enjoyable music laden film to come along, the film plays a good tune with its interesting characters, upbeat setting and excellent soundtrack, but the pacing of the film and the muddled plot of everything going on could have been given more care, but still a good effort.
  2. May 10, 2013
    One of my favorite movies of all time! Micheal and Kat acting is amazing. All of the funny jokes and cute scenes. This movie will make you smile al the way through.
  3. Jun 8, 2012
    I like independent movies and music. I like them not because they're independent, but because they break away from the mainstream to offer something different. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is the sort of movie that celebrates indie for indie's sake while attempting to appeal to the masses. It's a calculated, soulless trod through a calculated, soulless evening with calculated,I like independent movies and music. I like them not because they're independent, but because they break away from the mainstream to offer something different. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is the sort of movie that celebrates indie for indie's sake while attempting to appeal to the masses. It's a calculated, soulless trod through a calculated, soulless evening with calculated, soulless characters. There's not a bit of humanity in the thing. Sure, it can be seen as a celebration of the city at night, of underground music, of young love, etc. But if there's going to be a movie celebrating those things, shouldn't it be at least a little bit fun? The dull proceedings begin and end as just another Michael Cera vehicle. I have nothing against Cera, but filmmakers and producers seem to think just putting him in movies will work. Not so. He makes for a dull, meek protagonist who has what the movie thinks is excellent taste in music. Kat Dennings makes for a similarly dull, meek love interest; imagine a manic pixie dream girl as realized by a twentysomething Andie MacDowell. It's no surprise when sparks fail to fly. The movie is fairly typical for its ilk, relying heavily on cutesy moments and lame attempts at understated humor. None of it is cute or funny, making for one of the most boring trips through NYC with some of its least interesting inhabitants, a night on the town for those whose bedtimes lie between 9:30 and 10:00. Nothing of importance or interest is ever at stake, and it constantly shows; when Nick and Norah seem pretty apathetic about what they're up to, why should an audience care? And the word "Infinite" definitely fits in the title; though the movie doesn't quite reach ninety minutes, it feels like twice that. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist attempts to blend indie and mainstream sensibilities the way successful independent breakthroughs have, namely Juno and Little Miss Sunshine. With those movies, it worked. Here, it forms a toxic combination, devoid of anything resembling life or soul. Collapse
  4. Apr 26, 2011
    A charming little film, and Cera's chemistry in this with his opposite number (Kat Dennings' Norah) was far more endearing than that he had with Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Ramona Flowers in Scott Pilgrim, where the romance we were supposed to buy into just came off as cold and rigid.

This said, a bit like the same Scott Pilgrim, Infinite Playlist has as much to owe to its supporting cast - Nick's bandmates in particular stand out in much the same way his flatmate and hangers-on did in Scott Pilgrim.

Indeed, you'll have to forgive the direct comparisons, as it's what the other half and I kept doing while watching it. You'll definitely enjoy this if you like Cera's other more recent work. While I'd say that it's lightness on the obscure Indie references makes it accessible to the majority, it is a relatively straightforward film where some character development is sorely lacking.

We were agreed it's a good little watch for a quick, cute movie, but I think a lot of our enthusiasm was carried by Cera's presence and Dennings' own performance.
  5. Mar 21, 2011

My real infatuation with this movie has to be the whole idea. It's very indie music heavy which is what I'm steeped in in real life. So I can relate very well. I also really like indie romance flicks so this movie has the best of two worlds for me. With that being said I don't blame any of you if you hate this movie, it's very genrelized and it works in my opinion.

Humor wise I thought this hit the spot, just enough laughs for me and none that were over the top really. The storyline had it's moments where it was a little stale but for the most part the other parts outshines them all. I say def check this out if you haven't already and especially if you like music, being hipster, romance and Micheal Cera.
  6. JennS
    Apr 21, 2009
    An annoying film with annoying characters who shared zero chemistry.
  7. DaveW.
    Mar 5, 2009
    This movie was somewhat entertaining to watch, but don't expect to get much out of it. From the title, I assumed Nick and Nora were together, which they weren't. The majority of the movie is spent looking for a concert from a band that does poor advertising, and judging by the size of the concert, should probably advertise their venues, rather than not telling anyone. The only This movie was somewhat entertaining to watch, but don't expect to get much out of it. From the title, I assumed Nick and Nora were together, which they weren't. The majority of the movie is spent looking for a concert from a band that does poor advertising, and judging by the size of the concert, should probably advertise their venues, rather than not telling anyone. The only thing that was really accomplished in the movie, was Nick and Nora getting together, which I assumed we would have started with, given the title. Expand
  8. AaronM.
    Feb 13, 2009
    Poorly acted, poorly written. I didn't care about any of the characters, and music did not play as big a role as we were led to believe it would. I wanted my 90 minutes back.
  9. RyanM.
    Feb 9, 2009
    Slowly paced, rather boring. Promising young actors though, just poorly utilized. Weak script, not many laughs. More of a teenage romantic comedy.
  10. OmarG.
    Feb 5, 2009
    It's a great movie, from beginning to end. Idiots will demur.
  11. KadeeC.
    Feb 5, 2009
    this movie would get more if it wasn't made after a book that I loved so much.and totally not even close to the book The movie wasn't that great. But I wont say I didn't like it.
  12. EricM.
    Feb 5, 2009
    I never written a review for a movie but I had to due to the harsh treatment this one was receiving. I felt something for the characters and that says a lot. IIt was a little cheesy at times, but thats fine, with these types of movies you have to lose yourself, it's fiction after all.
  13. AMovieCritic
    Feb 4, 2009
    It's an interesting film about a group of teens who spend a night driving through New York City after a concert looking for their lost and drunk friend. Essentially, it's an "indie-like" movie aimed at the mainstream, which means loads of hi-jinks and cartoony situations and forced plot are thrown into what should have been a realistic and thought-provoking film. It's an It's an interesting film about a group of teens who spend a night driving through New York City after a concert looking for their lost and drunk friend. Essentially, it's an "indie-like" movie aimed at the mainstream, which means loads of hi-jinks and cartoony situations and forced plot are thrown into what should have been a realistic and thought-provoking film. It's an interesting end result, with an amazing soundtrack and a real sense of fun, and it portrays New York City as a playground. There's one scene of danger (And oddly enough it doesn't happen to a drunk girl alone in the Port Authority after 2:00 in the morning) but otherwise, this movie takes place in a city that's a safe and magical site for fun adventures and falling in love; It's like what immigrants in the 19th century must have imagined New York City was like; a sparkling city with roads paved with gold. I liked the music and I liked the world created. I wasn't a fan of the two leads (the actors are great, I just didn't think they were given much to work with) and I was disappointed that what began as a fairly realistic movie turned into nearly a cartoon by the end. (Seriously, if someone drank enough alcohol to be as "drunk" as Caroline supposedly was, they'd be dead,) but I still say it's a decent watch, I really liked the world the filmmakers created... I sort of wish it actually existed. Definitely a worthwhile date movie, just don't expect much. Expand
  14. AndrewS.
    Oct 25, 2008
    A disclaimer: I loved Juno, and didn't expect to, in fact probably didn't want to. I had a bad feeling on this one but went along anyway, encouraged by my wife. This is one of the ten worst films I have ever seen. It literally feels like something made by old guys in an ad agency after a bunch of focus groups. Do not waste your money or your time. (PS My wife concurs).
  15. MonicaP.
    Oct 22, 2008
    The movie Nick and Norah
  16. Andrew
    Oct 20, 2008
    The movie was at all times painfully aware of its teenage audience and was constantly trying to impress them with that hip offbeat humor that only Juno was been able to capture.
  17. JerryJ.
    Oct 16, 2008
    Sheer garbage. I love Michael Cera... but this is a sad cliche programmed for 13-16 year olds with low self-esteem. Ironically, it's faux-awkward gimick is so blatant - it's unintentionally awkward. Completely self aware and poorly written.
  18. StevenL
    Oct 15, 2008
    this movie is a six, but i downgraded it because i could have watched burn after reading or body of lies instead. remember jay from knocked up? apparently he's a badass in this movie. at a whopping 150 lbs., he is clearly the biggest guy in the movie. maybe not, but still. my name is whatever you need it to be? i don't subscribe to any label? this movie has been done 1000 times this movie is a six, but i downgraded it because i could have watched burn after reading or body of lies instead. remember jay from knocked up? apparently he's a badass in this movie. at a whopping 150 lbs., he is clearly the biggest guy in the movie. maybe not, but still. my name is whatever you need it to be? i don't subscribe to any label? this movie has been done 1000 times and 500 times better. the ride is predictable, all the funny parts are shown in the previews, and nothing is really that funny. skip it. Expand
  19. carlg
    Oct 14, 2008
    Stay away from this one unless you're under 18. If you're over 18 just buy the soundtrack. Also, what was up with that sex scene????? Could they wear any more clothes?
  20. MichaelMarcinkus
    Oct 13, 2008
    Everything a movie should be. It loses you in the moment and you feel like you are a part of the characters' lives for a night. Lessons are learned without being hit over the head with a hammer.
  21. AdamC.
    Oct 12, 2008
    A completely insane night out. Lots of laughs to be had. Believable acting. A great postcard for New York City night life. All in all, a great film with a well thought out premise and a satisfying conclusion.
  22. McKenzieA
    Oct 12, 2008
    this movie was a joke. me and all my friends left the theatre wondering what the hell happened. we are all teenagers..which was the audience this movie aimed for and all 6 of us hated it.
  23. MikeB.
    Oct 11, 2008
    Very enjoyable, raunchy enough to be cool but not raunchy for raunchiness's sake. Clever and funny but with a lot of heart.
  24. JefferyS.
    Oct 10, 2008
    Every skinny-jean wearing teenager's wet dream. Unlikable characters + zero laughs = no fun.
  25. WillM.
    Oct 9, 2008
    If you're a prepubescent kid you might enjoy this movie. Otherwise, save your $10.
  26. martin
    Oct 9, 2008
    maybe even an 8....this is the first pg 13 movie that made me laugh out loud in a while... well hancock did, but that wasn't supposed to be funny... at least not the parts i laughed at. but its worth the theater ticket, it is a good movie to see with your girlfriend that she will like and you will laugh at too.
  27. JamesC.
    Oct 8, 2008
    I went with some friends; we enjoyed it, and thought it was funny, and a little gross (in a good, hilarious way).
  28. JillD
    Oct 6, 2008
    Cute with some funny parts. I would wait for the DVD.
  29. AislinnP.
    Oct 5, 2008
    This movie was straight up amazing. It is real life. Love it!
  30. CAE.
    Oct 5, 2008
    Solid film from start to finish. This movie defines a generation of emo kids, hipsters and modern day rock. In addition, it emulates relationships that are more authentic than surreal. Great laughs, great soundtrack, great time.
  31. RobertP.
    Oct 4, 2008
    It's pleasant enough, with a lot of heart, and is quite realistic. Maybe for the teenage, young college set, but then again, the reviews so far my indicate that older adults should take a little bit more from this. Quit being such bastards. Is life really that bad?
  32. JasonP.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Very funny movie. Quality acting and a killer soundtrack.
  33. ChadS.
    Oct 4, 2008
    The Feelies. The Feelies are from Hoboken, from Nick's neck of the woods. If Big Dipper merits a place on his wall-of-fame, so should the Glenn Mercer-led band who were like The Beatles of New Jersey during the mid-to-late eighties. But Nick is a New Yorker now(The Magnetic Fields are from N.Y.C.), an incoming student the Berklee School of Music(Big Dipper is from Boston), so this The Feelies. The Feelies are from Hoboken, from Nick's neck of the woods. If Big Dipper merits a place on his wall-of-fame, so should the Glenn Mercer-led band who were like The Beatles of New Jersey during the mid-to-late eighties. But Nick is a New Yorker now(The Magnetic Fields are from N.Y.C.), an incoming student the Berklee School of Music(Big Dipper is from Boston), so this Garden State defector just isn't in a New Jersey-state-of-mind anymore. So you want to know what Nick is all about? Just look at his room, a veritable shrine to a kind of music, an ethos that rebelled against corporate rock which went through several name changes over the years, starting with punk(college music, post-modern, and alternative were all applicable at one time or another) and ending up as indie-rock, for the time being. For lack of a better word, Nick is a hipster. He's a Generation Y William Miller(the Cameron Crowe-alter ego from "Almost Famous"); he missed both Kennedy the president and Kennedy the MTV vee-jay. But the bassist from "that gay band" has an old soul. A poster of The Buzzcocks hangs proudly in his room. The Manchester punk rockers aren't vintage to the extent of another former-Hoboken resident, Frank Sinatra, but Pete Shelley and his mates started recording thirty-three years ago. "Ever Fallen in Love(With Someone You Shouldn't've)" is the new "Strangers in the Night". Anyway, the success of "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" hinges on Nick's indie cred. Luckily, he met Norah(Kat Dennings), his musical soulmate, in the nick of time; fifteen more minutes with Tris(Alexis Dziena) would've resulted in him losing all his indie cred. Tris is the sort of girl who secretly loves Maroon 5, but pretends to be into The Arcade Fire, just because of the Montreal band's cool cachet. In one scene, Norah's sturdy indie cred goes toe-to-toe with Tris' own shaky indie cred, when Nick's ex forgets the "Where's" in "Where's Fluffy?", a band so elitist, they make themselves inaccesible to their own fans. The film frustrates, like all rom-coms, in which the audience is way ahead of the protagonist, who's painfully slow to recognize which way true love lies. But then it finally happens. To paraphrase Bono's intro to U2's cover of The Beatles' "Helter Skelter" from "Rattle and Hum", "This is a song Tris stole from Hot Chocolate, well, Nick is stealing it back," and gives it to Norah; his electric lady, his sexy thing. "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" is about being young and alive on a Friday night. It's also about being in love with music. Expand
  34. BobK.
    Oct 3, 2008
    Maybe 13 yr olds will think it is clever.
  35. JesusH.
    Oct 1, 2008
    The mentality this movie attempts to present is already played out, even before you enter the theater. Completely one-dimensional.
  36. MilesM.
    Sep 30, 2008
    Simply horrible...what a waste of my paycheck.

1. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    This is the kind of sparsely plotted comedy that depends on compelling characters, but it stars two young actors defined by ironic detachment.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Wilonsky
    Plays like something crafted in a lab by 54-year-old hucksters trying to sell shit to the kids under the cheerless guise of "alternative." The only thing it's an alternative to? Good.
  3. So much goes down on Nick and Norah's one enchanted evening that the best advice is to enjoy the ride -- the actual ride -- around this vibrant new New York.