6.9

1. Nov 15, 2011
    "Night At the Museum" is way too formulaic, but hey, at least it makes you laugh.
  2. HessaM
    Aug 5, 2007
    Its really amazing film i like bin stiller and his funny films.
  3. MarkB.
    Feb 8, 2007
    And a long, slow, boring and seemingly endless night it is, too...in short, everything that the Museum of Natural History absolutely is NOT. The partial premise, that this museum is losing money and needs to lay off employees, is flimsier than the footbridge in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, but it's only the beginning of the film's problems: they're compounded by an And a long, slow, boring and seemingly endless night it is, too...in short, everything that the Museum of Natural History absolutely is NOT. The partial premise, that this museum is losing money and needs to lay off employees, is flimsier than the footbridge in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, but it's only the beginning of the film's problems: they're compounded by an annoyingly witless, unimaginative script that assumes that merely assembling a cast consisting of Ben Stiller, Robin Williams, Owen Wilson, Dick Van Dyke and Mickey Rooney will automatically grow the laughs and energy that it failed to provide in and of itself. Well, in Aerosmith's immortal words, dream on. Stiller's ineffectual, bumbling schlemiel schtick, which was actually funny once upon a time when he premiered it in There's Something About Mary and followed it up with Meet the Parents, got irreversibly old and tiresome around the time of Along Came Polly roughly 94 movies ago. (An early scene that Stiller shares here with his real-life mom, the legendary comedienne Anne Meara, fails to generate any comic sparks whatsoever because the punchline deals with an invention whose mere mention in a joke renders said joke only slightly less outdated than jokes about streaking or pet rocks. And speaking of lame material, didn't Brokeback Mountain gags die out the week after last year's Oscars...and even if not, what's one doing in what's supposed to be a family film?) Stiller plays a divorced, unemployed father attempting to regain his little boy's respect by taking a night watchman's position at the museum...but he gets more than he expected or prepared for when dinosaurs, cowboys, gladiators and Teddy Roosevelt routinely come to life after the lights go out. The inevitable special effects jamboree that ensues IS genuinely impressive and extremely well done, but since it's in the service of such lackluster material, the result is comparable to Halston or Oscar de la Renta costuming a corpse. And Shawn Levy's traffic-cop direction is forcing me to re-evaluate my long-held ranking of Michael Bay as the biggest hack currently working in Hollywood. Bay may be offensive and obnoxious, but at least he's got a distinctive style. Levy, on the other hand, has specialized almost exclusively in cannibalizing the past: he turned the fine old 1950 Clifton Webb-Myrna Loy period piece Cheaper by the Dozen into just another forgettable slapstick family sitcom that did nothing for Steve Martin except stuff his bank account, and earlier in 2006 he and Martin destroyed Inspector Clouseau for an entire generation. With Night at the Museum, Levy apparently endeavors to do the same for Jurassic Park, The Indian in the Cupboard, Ghostbusters and much, much more, so I guess the man is more ambitious than I initially thought. The real mystery is why America so enthusiastically embraced this thing, making it the Number One box office draw of the Christmas season (outperforming such infinitely superior family fare as Charlotte's Web and even Happy Feet). In contrast, the biggest moneymaker of the previous holiday season was the superb, truly magical fantasy-adventure drama The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; while that was a real diamond, Night at the Museum is a lump of...well, no, I can't say coal because coal at least has the POTENTIAL to eventually become a diamond. Decorum prevents me from going into too much further detail in describing just what it is that most of Night at the Museum constitutes a lump of, except to say that finding it in your Christmas stocking is especially unfortunate because in most parts of the country it's far too cold to open the door and air out the house. Expand
  4. BenW
    Jan 2, 2007
    Enjoyable, this; the script is better than it's been given credit for by the critics and the concept is fun. It doesn't pretend to be anything it's not, but it does what it wants to well. A good film to pass 90 minutes or so with some very funny moments.
  5. NathanH
    Jan 3, 2007
    It was a kids movie. A 7 year old does not care about a plot or story line. They just want to be entertained. Its a good basic funny movie. Its good for distracting kids for an hour and 20 min
  6. Ray
    Jan 5, 2007
    My daughters thought it was funny, but I though it was pretty awful. Ben Stiller is not funny, the "old guys" of movie were pathetic, Owen Wilson sounded like he was ad-libbing, and Robin Williams seemed as stiff as the wax figure. Yet another movie with a divorced, hapless dad tyring to impress his kid.
  7. TijanaK.
    Jan 8, 2007
    It is a very funny movie. It is really entertaining movie and is planned very well. A clever film..I loved it!!
  8. WillH.
    Feb 3, 2007
    Just not funny for anyone over the age of 10. Should have dumbed it down even more and made it G-rated.
  9. MarkT.
    Mar 22, 2007
    How can you not enjoy this? A'C fun comedic adventure film that never takes itself too seriously.
  10. Guy!
    Apr 23, 2007
    This movie may seem really bad, but you'll enjoy it. I just wish it was scarier, but ever so slightly. Definitely worth seeing.
  11. MonkMonkey
    Apr 25, 2007
    It was pretty good and the critics were right about who it is targeting...but is overall funny.
  12. ChristopherW.
    Apr 27, 2007
    Reasonably good family entertainment. Nifty special effects and some good bits of humor help the film coast along during story lags and a mostly languid plot.
  13. Jeff
    Jan 10, 2007
    I'm perplexed why this movie got so many mediocre to bad reviews. Maybe with all the hype and promotion people want to shoot it down. It's not serious cinema but it was very entertaining and touching sometimes. The monkey slapping scene was one of the funniest I've seen in any film. Mickey Rooney was hilarious and the Stiller line about the South losing the war but getting I'm perplexed why this movie got so many mediocre to bad reviews. Maybe with all the hype and promotion people want to shoot it down. It's not serious cinema but it was very entertaining and touching sometimes. The monkey slapping scene was one of the funniest I've seen in any film. Mickey Rooney was hilarious and the Stiller line about the South losing the war but getting "The Allman Brothers and NASCAR" was one of my favorites. What's not to like? Expand
  14. Fantasy
    Jan 19, 2007
    Great movie if you checked your brains at the door, are under the age of ten, or recently had a lobotomy; otherwise it is moronic.
  15. ShellS
    Jan 2, 2007
    Entertaining enough, they could have done more with the idea though.
  16. AaronE
    Jan 4, 2007
    As far as family comedies go this was a very solid movie, nothing in the movie was the greatest but all the parts worked out to produce a movie that was entertaining and humorous. Everyone from my younger sister to my mom enjoyed the movie...maybe critics just want movies that appeal to the 18-29 alternative lifestyles crowd.
  17. JasonK
    Jan 8, 2007
    Probably a great movie if you're younger than 12-years old. For anybody else, it was a dull 90 minutes. The jokes fell flat, Stiller's slapstick act was even worse, and the laughs were scarce. I might have chuckled a few times. Also disappointing was the poor use of CGI. This movie had lots of potential. It's too bad it was wasted.
  18. BobT
    Jan 8, 2007
    It is a great movie that the whole family can enjoy together. That means that Comedy, Art Film, or Barnie-o-phile snobs will come away disappointed, but everyone else will enjoy the ride.
  19. ChandraS.
    Jan 8, 2007
    This movie was great for my entire family. I didn't think it would be very good, but I found it hilarious and laughed through the whole movie!
    Jan 8, 2007
    This movie definitely had some funny moments, but the father-son relationship was terrible, all of Ben Stiller's dialogue was pathetic. It was the secondary characters that made the movie.
  21. JamieK.
    Feb 21, 2007
    Very good actors & really funny! Two thumbs up!
  22. Deanna
    Feb 25, 2007
    This movie isn't bad, but it isn't AWESOME either. It had a few funny moments and clever scenes.
  23. ErikH
    Feb 2, 2007
    Fun, but instantly forgettable.
  24. FionaO.
    Mar 13, 2007
    I think it was unfair that people rate it 5 or less. I admit the bits with just Ben Stiller were a bit boring, but what is best about it is the minature romans and cowboys, a.k.a. Jedediah and Octavius!
  25. LouisH.
    Apr 23, 2007
    I wasn't expecting this movie to be really good, but I was pleseantly suprised. It was funny and exciting, but a bit confusing also. Still, I've never seen a bad Ben Stiller movie. I recommend seeing and buying this movie,
  26. ChrisB.
    Apr 26, 2007
    This is a quality family comedy movie. Ben Stiller does an amazing job of acting like always. If you don't like him, you won't like the movie. Robin Williams does an excellent job playing his role as well. If you want to laugh, you will enjoy this. It's not a disappointment. If you're going to be snobby and dislike the movie before you even watch it... then you might This is a quality family comedy movie. Ben Stiller does an amazing job of acting like always. If you don't like him, you won't like the movie. Robin Williams does an excellent job playing his role as well. If you want to laugh, you will enjoy this. It's not a disappointment. If you're going to be snobby and dislike the movie before you even watch it... then you might as well not even watch it! Expand
  27. EricC.
    May 13, 2007
    Bland, seen-it-before comedy could be forgivable if this movie spent more time simply running around the museum with its entertaining inhabitants. Unfortunately, most of the movie tries to develop a story, and a terrible one at that.
  28. DougO.
    Dec 25, 2006
    This movie is great for both chlidren and adults. Too bad the critics arent smart enough to realize Ben Stiller's comedy style.
  29. IanG.
    Dec 28, 2006
    I went into this film expecting some sort of Jumanji clone, but it was actually really good. The actors made the film of course (shouldn't they always?), and while it is clearly a children's film, it was a good Christmas movie that even a man in his twenties (as I am) can enjoy.
  30. B.O.
    Jan 11, 2007
    Man this movie had potential, but the last 30 mins were so lame that it brought down the whole movie; what a joke!
  31. Andy
    Jan 1, 2007
    I agree with the USA Today review. Has the potential to be very funny but they don't properly use the premise. Probably good for kids though.
  32. BenB.
    Jan 16, 2007
    This movie may not be the best ever, but it sure was funny and definitely deserved more than a 48. The last thirty minutes, where they tried to turn it into a touchy-feely bad-guys-watch-out-here-come-the-good-guys wasn't as good as could be, but it was very funny! It deserves better ratings than this.
  33. KevinD.
    Jan 17, 2007
    I was instantly put off by the movie from the opnening scene after being surrounded by classes full of kindergardeners through the previews. This movie could have been a clear cut laugh out loud comedy. But tried to hard. Not only with the jokes, of which a few were funny, but the movie's concept was not. In fact, the concept of the movie made me feel like a three-year-old. It I was instantly put off by the movie from the opnening scene after being surrounded by classes full of kindergardeners through the previews. This movie could have been a clear cut laugh out loud comedy. But tried to hard. Not only with the jokes, of which a few were funny, but the movie's concept was not. In fact, the concept of the movie made me feel like a three-year-old. It attempts at being touching made me sick to my stomach. Stiller makes a bad move, Williams continues to spiral, and Mickey Rooney gives the only half solid performance in his minor role. The ending of the film was ridiculously lame. Overall, it was depressing. Expand
  34. DennisL.
    Jan 21, 2007
    I was also surprised it got tepid reviews. It was really pretty good. It had a good spirit without being sappy. Stiller has always played the poor, reasionable slob surrounded by idiots role perfectly. I think 'Nacho Libre' got better reviews, and that movie stank abominably.
  35. RobertB.
    Jan 2, 2007
    I took my family (kids aged 12, 13, & 16) to see this pic over the weekend, and we really enjoyed it. While not a film with lots of storyline, it did serve up laughs pretty well. I think the critics have unfairly blasted the film.
  36. AMovieCritic
    Jan 28, 2007
    It was extremely average. Got off to a decent start but I was just bored during it. I found Ben Stiller kind of annoying, actually, which is weird because I usually like his performances. Some decent special effects and Owen Wilson is a scene-stealer, but...just....nothing special here. There's some humor in the script but director Shawn Levy (proving again after his humorless It was extremely average. Got off to a decent start but I was just bored during it. I found Ben Stiller kind of annoying, actually, which is weird because I usually like his performances. Some decent special effects and Owen Wilson is a scene-stealer, but...just....nothing special here. There's some humor in the script but director Shawn Levy (proving again after his humorless Cheaper by the Dozen and annoying Pink Panther) is unable to make this movie truly funny. Little kids will love it, though. Older audiences...at least won't be COMPLETELY bored. Expand
  37. elKodos
    Jan 3, 2007
    On the whole, I don't mind that I spent $4 to see this at a matinee. I'd be seriously disappointed if I had paid full price. There are a number of snickers, but just one solitary laugh, by my count. The effects are competent (that's a compliment), but not very exciting. The win-respect-from-the-non-custodial-kid and attractive-co-worker subplots are lame, lame, LAME. On the whole, I don't mind that I spent $4 to see this at a matinee. I'd be seriously disappointed if I had paid full price. There are a number of snickers, but just one solitary laugh, by my count. The effects are competent (that's a compliment), but not very exciting. The win-respect-from-the-non-custodial-kid and attractive-co-worker subplots are lame, lame, LAME. It's for people who are easily impressed, eg, kids. Expand
  38. Molly
    Jan 3, 2007
    It seems strange to me that comedies like this often seem to get low scores on Metacritic. Anyway, for what the movie was, I thought it was great. It made me laugh and had some touching moments, and some fun cameo apperances. Not a masterpiece of theater but an enjoyable flim - I highly recommend it if you're in the mood for a comedy!!
  39. BrianG.
    Jan 3, 2007
    A whole lot better than I thought it was going to be. A good New Year's day movie to see.
  40. DustinW.
    Jan 4, 2007
    Simply the best movie I've ever seen. It's so entertaining, clever, and just overall humourous.
  41. DuWayneB
    Jan 5, 2007
    Going in, I knew this was geared to kids and families. This does not mean that it doesn't need to have some form of educational value. This would have been a real way to give some meaning to the movie outside of the stale "role of males" stereotypes crap. Not clever or engaging, unless you really don't get out much.
  42. GregM
    Jan 7, 2007
    My kids had a wonderful time at this movie, as did my wife and I. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a fun fantasy movie that you can be comfortable taking the whole family to.
  43. RalphN.
    Feb 16, 2007
    Entertaining, safe for kids and inspires learning of history. We could do much worse.
  44. HeidiD.
    Feb 18, 2007
    This was incredibly clever. Perhaps the reviewers looking for pure comedy should check out the Three Stooges or maybe the Simpsons. Anyone with half a brain will appreciate the clever way history is brought forth in this movie.
  45. KathleenG.
    Feb 18, 2007
    Fun popcorn movie, even clever in spots. Standard plot: divorced dad w/o job tries to prove himself to his son. I would think kids would like this. It was amusing to see Ben with his mother at the employment agency!
  46. ChadS.
    Mar 13, 2007
    If you thought the remake of "The Stepford Wives" was severely flawed at the conceptual stage(were they humans or androids?), "Night at the Museum" manages to be even more befuddling as to the nature of such fantastical beings. Why are some museum pieces aware of their true selves(Teddy Roosevelt as played by Robin Williams), while other seem to believe that they're actual historical If you thought the remake of "The Stepford Wives" was severely flawed at the conceptual stage(were they humans or androids?), "Night at the Museum" manages to be even more befuddling as to the nature of such fantastical beings. Why are some museum pieces aware of their true selves(Teddy Roosevelt as played by Robin Williams), while other seem to believe that they're actual historical figures(or animals)? It's just a comedy, I know, but you need to establish some rules and abide by them. Take the mummy for instance; he either should have a face that indicates it's of very, very, very, very mature vintage(if the mummy is genuine), or possess no face whatsoever; just a blank slate of a visage(if the mummy is merely a wax display, why bother with a face at all underneath those bandages?). These lapses in logic would be forgivable if "Night at the Museum" was entertaining. It's not. There's no awe factor that these inanimate objects are injected with life. Worst of all, the film doesn't build any suspense in leading up to Larry's supposed-to-be-grand-discovery. "A Night at the Museum" shoots its load too early by stupidly going jurassic on us as a way of introduction. It also rips off "Field of Dreams"(people do indeed come), and "Cocoon"(Dick Van Dyke & Mickey Rooney remind me of the Orbitz ads with Wink Martindale; they're old men so old, you would believe that a magic tablet revived them). And no self-proclaimed history geek alive writing a nine-hundred page book on an "Indian" princess looks like Carla Gugino. When she's ready to interview Sacajawea(Mizuo Peck), you wonder(well, you should wonder) how a wax body learned about its representational self. "Night at the Museum" has got to be a candidate for worst film to ever gross more than two-hundred million dollars at the box office. It should've tanked. Expand
  47. Ed
    Apr 26, 2007
    Some laughs and definitely amusing. Sit back and enjoy.
  48. RandyM.
    Apr 29, 2007
    Though I hardly found it funny at all, it was an enjoyable family film. However, I probably won't see it again for a while.
  49. PnArdyPnArdy
    May 13, 2007
    A good action comedy with Ben Stiller, Robin Williams and the blond guy from You, Me and Dupree - can't remember his name. Great FX, dinosaurs, cowboys, romans, mongols and stuff. However, visiting the same place three times (Ben Stiller's night shift as a guard at the museum of Natural History) is rather boring idea - could have been better.
  50. PatrickC.
    May 8, 2007
    The best thing about this movie is the cast, which includes veterain actors Bill Cobbs, Mickey Rooney and Dick Van Dick as well as british actors Steve Coogan and Ricky Gervais. Sadly Ben Stiller isn't very good in the film and boredom strikes fifteen minutes into the film. It has too many problems for a movie which could have been good. I wanted to like this movie but found it The best thing about this movie is the cast, which includes veterain actors Bill Cobbs, Mickey Rooney and Dick Van Dick as well as british actors Steve Coogan and Ricky Gervais. Sadly Ben Stiller isn't very good in the film and boredom strikes fifteen minutes into the film. It has too many problems for a movie which could have been good. I wanted to like this movie but found it impossible as the clock clicked away. Expand
  51. StephanieS.
    Jun 10, 2007
    I was less than amused with this movie. Because of Ben Stiller I expected this movie to be a riot, but came out disappointed. It was okay but I wouldn't suggest buying it.
  52. WilliamB.
    Jun 21, 2007
    Great laughs, and I'm not a huge Ben Stiller fan, but the supporting cast made it a truly fun time.
  53. JonathanN.
    Feb 19, 2008
    Great movie and I love rewatching it. Really nice. Different, and that is what I love about it.
  54. RoyE.
    Dec 13, 2006
    A complete blast! Enormously entertaining!
  55. MikeN.
    Dec 15, 2006
    A very funny film and a really nice balance between a film the kids can enjoy and one that won't bore (or offend) the adults. If you have any kids around ten or so (I took my nephew - 10(and a half!)) he loved it.) it will make a great Christmas treat! And if you are a fan of Ben Stiller, (definitely one of his better movies) with great support from Dick Van Dyke , Mickey Rooney, A very funny film and a really nice balance between a film the kids can enjoy and one that won't bore (or offend) the adults. If you have any kids around ten or so (I took my nephew - 10(and a half!)) he loved it.) it will make a great Christmas treat! And if you are a fan of Ben Stiller, (definitely one of his better movies) with great support from Dick Van Dyke , Mickey Rooney, Ricky Gervais, Robin Williams and two little parts for Owen Wilson and Steve Coogan ;o) Thoroughly recommended... Expand
  56. e.z.
    Dec 19, 2006
    very entertaining. caught it at a sneak preview of the movie. owen wilson stole the movie. it was kind of predictable, but is was still good. ricky gervais was pretty funny. and it wasn't a crass movie. so everyone can enjoy it.
  57. wayneB.
    Dec 22, 2006
    After getting off to as slow start, the movie goes into overdrive with spectacular special effects and nonstop action. Clever, well worth the ride!
  58. TeeB.
    Dec 23, 2006
    Good movie - worth taking to whole family to see. Both yound and old can enjoy this flick.
  59. LynnG.
    Dec 24, 2006
    It was really fun. As a huge fan of the real American Museum of Natural History in NYC, my 7-year-old son LOVED this movie. (btw, the inside of the museum in the movie isn't like the real museum, though the outdoor shots look authentic.) My husband just it was "just OK" but I enjoyed it immensely. The thing is, you know a film was a good time when the day after you see it you keep It was really fun. As a huge fan of the real American Museum of Natural History in NYC, my 7-year-old son LOVED this movie. (btw, the inside of the museum in the movie isn't like the real museum, though the outdoor shots look authentic.) My husband just it was "just OK" but I enjoyed it immensely. The thing is, you know a film was a good time when the day after you see it you keep quoting lines. The one we keep saying is "Good Lord, Larry, you're slapping a monkey!" It's slapstick and silly, but a great movie for families that's set in a cool place. Take your kids, they'll love it! Expand
  60. JasonL
    Dec 25, 2006
    Don't let the 6 confuse you. I actually liked this movie quite a bit. If you are a parent and you want to take your kids to the movies, you have 18 months between pixar films. That can make for some tough family movie experiences. I can honestly say I enjoyed the movie, so did my wife and the two kids (ages 3 and 7). Steve Coogan (Octavius) and Owen Wilson really steal the show. Don't let the 6 confuse you. I actually liked this movie quite a bit. If you are a parent and you want to take your kids to the movies, you have 18 months between pixar films. That can make for some tough family movie experiences. I can honestly say I enjoyed the movie, so did my wife and the two kids (ages 3 and 7). Steve Coogan (Octavius) and Owen Wilson really steal the show. Definitely a worthy family film that I thought deserves more of a 60 metacritic rating that the one it did. Expand
  61. johnn.
    Dec 26, 2006
    This holiday movies was a real escape into fun. My family loved the action the story and the small hidden feeding of history. It deserves better rating from "critics".
  62. MikeH
    Dec 27, 2006
    Normally I cant stand movies with predictable plots and little substance compensated by special effects, but the idea of a museum coming to life is amazing, and they do manage to pull that part off, which more than makes up for the sketchy interaction between the characters and the bizarre loose ends. It makes great escapist fun.
  63. KatarinaJ.
    Dec 30, 2006
    Funny! Very creative, average acting.
  64. masong.
    Dec 30, 2006
    I am 7 years old, I went to the movie with my 5 year old sister and 6 year old cousin, also my mom, dad, aunt, uncle, grandma and grandpa. WE ALL LOVED IT!! I would go to see this movie again.
  65. AshleyB.
    Jan 29, 2007
    I came into the movie thinking it was going to be really funny and it was very disappointing. There were some funny parts but over all it sucked.
  66. JaredB.
    Feb 21, 2007
    Was a good movie that provided plenty of laughter throughout
  67. Brendan
    Apr 17, 2007
    This is a good family film that is will please the entire family. There is some silly homor that children will find amusing. The special effects will keep the average teen quiet. Finally the once-in-a-while smart joke and fairly funny performances put on by old pros like Mickey Rooney and Dick Van Dyke will keep adults happy. So all in all it's not the best film out there and some This is a good family film that is will please the entire family. There is some silly homor that children will find amusing. The special effects will keep the average teen quiet. Finally the once-in-a-while smart joke and fairly funny performances put on by old pros like Mickey Rooney and Dick Van Dyke will keep adults happy. So all in all it's not the best film out there and some parts can bore but it's a great experoence in IMAX or just a pleasent rainy day at the movies. Expand
  68. AdamE.
    Apr 19, 2007
    If you don't think about it too hard and simply enjoy the laughs that come with any comedy, you'll find yourself enjoying it. However, it will undoubtedly be quickly forgotten and is certainly not an "movie to watch again and again."
  69. DavidT.
    Apr 26, 2007
    Trust me...I really wanted to like this movie!!! Big cast...adventurous plot but it was absolutely terrible! It's just dumb-founding how a movie can have that many big time actors in one movie and yet it was written and acted soooooo terribly. Ah well...guess you can't win them all!
  70. DustinB.
    Apr 29, 2007
    This was a good clean film that would be fun for a family. No gratuitous language, etc. And Ben Stiller did a good job.
  71. HughR.
    May 24, 2007
    Good fun for the family. Full of lots of silly humor.
  72. DaleM.
    Dec 26, 2006
    Critics having been misunderstanding Stiller's best comedic work since Zoolander so ignore them. This movie is funny and you'll probably want to catch it again and again as it shows up on videos and tv later. I still laugh at many of the gags in Zoolander after seeing it numerous times and am sure I will be laughing at many of the gags in this movie time and time again.
  73. PamB
    Dec 26, 2006
    This movie was not horrible, but it was not that good either. The special effects were pretty good, but the story is preachy and predictable. And the music score sounds like it came off the assembly line for sappy family movies. Overall, it was ok family entertainment, but if we were watching it at home on the TV, I would have changed the channel.
  74. KevinS.
    Dec 26, 2006
    A film that squanders its many good comic talents deserves to be locked up in a vault in the museum basement. This is the kind of lazy screenwriting and witless direction that has become prevalent in many big hollywood films these days. Having grown up on far superior films like the Indiana Jones series, ET and I daresay Batteries Not Included and The Goonies, I don't think it's A film that squanders its many good comic talents deserves to be locked up in a vault in the museum basement. This is the kind of lazy screenwriting and witless direction that has become prevalent in many big hollywood films these days. Having grown up on far superior films like the Indiana Jones series, ET and I daresay Batteries Not Included and The Goonies, I don't think it's much to expect, that in the age of CGI, films should only get better. Very disappointing. Expand
  75. DKMcGimpsey
    Dec 27, 2006
    As far as Holiday "family" movies go it's pretty good, but judged on it's own merits and in comparison to better kiddy fair it comes of as mediocre. The effects are cool and in particular the T-Rex skeleton has a real feeling of authenticity. Some performances are good Dick Van Dyke, Ricky Gervais (who is underused here) and Stiller in the lead all spark of each of the script As far as Holiday "family" movies go it's pretty good, but judged on it's own merits and in comparison to better kiddy fair it comes of as mediocre. The effects are cool and in particular the T-Rex skeleton has a real feeling of authenticity. Some performances are good Dick Van Dyke, Ricky Gervais (who is underused here) and Stiller in the lead all spark of each of the script well enough. Carla Gugino and Robin Williams sappy turns are pivital weak points however. THe stars of the human cast were for me Owen Wilson and Steve Coogan who provide the film's only real belly laughs, and double it's watchability. The story is preachy, saccharine and syrupy but some nice comic performances and spectacular effects make it one of the very few films this winter season worth seeking out, but expect to have long forgotten it come the Summer and hopefully some more consistently funny movies. Expand
  76. mitchk.
    Dec 28, 2006
    This movie is a mix of fun,history and craziness. The whole family will like it. I loved Mickey Rooney's character. It's great to see the likes of him and Dick Van Dyke doing such a fantastic job.
  77. MelissaN.
    Dec 29, 2006
    My kids 9 & 11 thought this was the best movie they had ever seen and we enjoyed it also.
  78. MattS.
    Dec 29, 2006
    My son enjoyed it, and it is certainly innocuous enough. I laughed a couple times, but for the most part the humor was uncomfortably unfunny. I was particularly put off by the PHD candidate who insisted on correcting Ben Stiller's pronunciation of Sacagawea's name with an equally incorrect pronunciation. Good luck with that dissertation defense, sister.
  79. AmyB.
    Nov 28, 2007
    I love the movie, not just because of how funny it was, but also of all the history. I'm only 14 and i love history. Although not many like history in that way, the movie, because we watched it for an English assignment, every one was talking non-stop about all the interesting things.
  80. Aug 22, 2010
    A wonderful movie that has many great, funny moments. It isn't strenuous on your mind but still is very entertaining. One of the best movies of 2006.
  81. Oct 5, 2010
    Thinking it over, Night at the Museum isn't really that good. But it does offer a solid enough family film, thats different enough to justify watching it. Its plot is half hearted and generic, but thats not the point. It's a family firendly and fun film, with some great ideas, just let down by other half hearted ideas.
  82. May 7, 2011
    Surprisingly entertaining movie, one of Ben Stiller's best. It was also great to see Robin Williams as Theodore Roosevelt. Good movie for the entire family.
  83. Mar 3, 2011
    This is a movie kids ands adults will both enjoy, it's funny, enjoyable, and charming, add some actual history facts thrown in, and you've got a movie that I can't help but recommend to everyone.
  84. Jul 17, 2011
    I watched this largely because my nephew said it was good. Since he's usually right about movies I gave it a shot. I didn't care much for the beginning of the film but it got a lot better as the second act came to a close. The ending was uplifting in a way these kinds of movies can't really avoid. But it wasn't cliche.
  85. Jun 17, 2012
    This was a great movie, It was so fun to watch this one. The characters were full with variation and all of them made me laugh. Cavemen, T-rex, americans, romans, Attila and lots of weird characters made this movie a very original thing.
  86. Nov 18, 2011
    It is not as predictable and formulatic as everyone says it is. A great idea is well executed and the result is a fun family film with a lot of good performances.
  87. Aug 28, 2014
    Just as good of a movie as I expected it to be. Lots of humor, good build-up thorough the story, great shades of personalities from humans and animals - and other things - alike.

Perhaps this could have been funnier still, but then again, it worked better this way. The visuals looked great and believable. (And I am beginning to grow convinced that Ben Stiller cannot star without

The visuals looked great and believable.

(And I am beginning to grow convinced that Ben Stiller cannot star without Owen Wilson - and likewise.)
  88. Jan 9, 2012
    No big deal but not terrible. Ben Stiller is quite funny, but he gets boring after some time. The movie has some funny parts, but it's no big deal. Nice to watch at night to break a leg, but not the best option of a comedy movie.
  89. Apr 12, 2015
    Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant are clearly more than able to write an amusing, family-friendly flick. Yet, Night at the Museum seems to miss anything to really sink our teeth into.
  90. Nov 15, 2013
    "Night at the Museum" has some memorable funny scenes, but has some memorable annoying scenes too. Like that monkey slapping scene, it's so irritating. The movie itself was pretty surprising, because I didn't think that the story would be like this.
  91. Jan 12, 2013
    Entertaining and original.
  92. Dec 22, 2012
    Boasting jaw dropping special effects and big laughs. Non stop fun
  93. May 10, 2015
    Not bad. For when it came out, this movie was something that we hadn't seen in a while.

As per usual, Stiller is as bland as ever, being upstaged by any one or anything else that wonders into frame. I'm sorry, but I just don't get hist style of humor. It's too bland and pointless. Aside from him, I loved everything else. Decent effects, interesting story, and aside from when Stiller

Aside from him, I loved everything else. Decent effects, interesting story, and aside from when Stiller is talking, good humor.

Overall:
    Night at the museum was surprisingly enjoyable, even with Stiller in the lead.
  94. Jul 8, 2013
    A fun family comedy that works in most ways. Ben Stiller is funny in the way he reacts to all the exhibits coming to life and it is always good to see Dick Van Dyke.
  95. May 10, 2013
    Owen Wilson and Steve Coogan are the only actors that keep this movie up with comedy and massive laughs as the little warring guys. They get small parts (No pun intended) and were easily the best parts of the movie. However, Larry Dayley is a boring, dull role to play and even though Stiller tries to craft memorable scenes, most of it falls flat. It's watchability doesn't rest in theOwen Wilson and Steve Coogan are the only actors that keep this movie up with comedy and massive laughs as the little warring guys. They get small parts (No pun intended) and were easily the best parts of the movie. However, Larry Dayley is a boring, dull role to play and even though Stiller tries to craft memorable scenes, most of it falls flat. It's watchability doesn't rest in the hands of the cavemen, slightly stiff Robin Williams or the cute monkey But in the hands of Jed and Octavious. Those guys deserve their own film. Expand
  96. Apr 23, 2013
    Night at the Museum wasn't as great as I thought, but still, never the less, it's still somewhat enjoyable. The story sets in very well, but with some slow paced moments, it really kind of stresses a little bit. It has its funny moments and also has its heart-felt moments. As far as characters go, Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) is the only one that really has got what it takes to keep the movieNight at the Museum wasn't as great as I thought, but still, never the less, it's still somewhat enjoyable. The story sets in very well, but with some slow paced moments, it really kind of stresses a little bit. It has its funny moments and also has its heart-felt moments. As far as characters go, Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) is the only one that really has got what it takes to keep the movie going. Other characters such as Teddy Rosevelt (Robin Williams) and Sacajawea (Mizuo Peck) kind of make the story boring and uninteresting. Overall, even with its negativities, it's still a fun movie to watch. Expand
  97. Jan 16, 2015
    Watched it recently on BD and for the first time. Its not that good. Its indented as a family comedy fun movie but it ends up not being very good. Jokes get old fast.
  98. Jul 24, 2014
    When it first came out, I enjoyed it an laughed along. As the years go by, on the other hand, the film becomes more cheesy and formulaic and underwhelming. Ben Stiller simply acts like an idiot to be funny, which is his 'thing', but he has to try something new. The ensemble cast could generate a few laughs, but in hindsight, there will probably be no reviewing.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Wilonsky
    The first half-hour's too slow; the last half-hour's too manic, as if to compensate. But at least it entertains, thanks in large measure to the buddy-pic relationship between Owen Wilson's miniature cowpoke and his Roman pal Steve Coogan.
  2. This season's answer to "Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas," it's an overstuffed grab bag in which lumps of coal are glued together with melted candy.
  3. Director Levy struggles to find a uniform pitch that would agreeably blend together the gags, the visual effects and the obligatory heart moments. In its absence, there's a stop-and-start hollowness that confuses noise and chaos for comic energy.