6.9

1. Nov 15, 2011
    "Night At the Museum" is way too formulaic, but hey, at least it makes you laugh.
  2. ChristopherW.
    Apr 27, 2007
    Reasonably good family entertainment. Nifty special effects and some good bits of humor help the film coast along during story lags and a mostly languid plot.
  3. ErikH
    Feb 2, 2007
    Fun, but instantly forgettable.
  4. Andy
    Jan 1, 2007
    I agree with the USA Today review. Has the potential to be very funny but they don't properly use the premise. Probably good for kids though.
  5. AMovieCritic
    Jan 28, 2007
    It was extremely average. Got off to a decent start but I was just bored during it. I found Ben Stiller kind of annoying, actually, which is weird because I usually like his performances. Some decent special effects and Owen Wilson is a scene-stealer, but...just....nothing special here. There's some humor in the script but director Shawn Levy (proving again after his humorless It was extremely average. Got off to a decent start but I was just bored during it. I found Ben Stiller kind of annoying, actually, which is weird because I usually like his performances. Some decent special effects and Owen Wilson is a scene-stealer, but...just....nothing special here. There's some humor in the script but director Shawn Levy (proving again after his humorless Cheaper by the Dozen and annoying Pink Panther) is unable to make this movie truly funny. Little kids will love it, though. Older audiences...at least won't be COMPLETELY bored. Expand
  6. elKodos
    Jan 3, 2007
    On the whole, I don't mind that I spent $4 to see this at a matinee. I'd be seriously disappointed if I had paid full price. There are a number of snickers, but just one solitary laugh, by my count. The effects are competent (that's a compliment), but not very exciting. The win-respect-from-the-non-custodial-kid and attractive-co-worker subplots are lame, lame, LAME. On the whole, I don't mind that I spent $4 to see this at a matinee. I'd be seriously disappointed if I had paid full price. There are a number of snickers, but just one solitary laugh, by my count. The effects are competent (that's a compliment), but not very exciting. The win-respect-from-the-non-custodial-kid and attractive-co-worker subplots are lame, lame, LAME. It's for people who are easily impressed, eg, kids. Expand
  7. KathleenG.
    Feb 18, 2007
    Fun popcorn movie, even clever in spots. Standard plot: divorced dad w/o job tries to prove himself to his son. I would think kids would like this. It was amusing to see Ben with his mother at the employment agency!
  8. RandyM.
    Apr 29, 2007
    Though I hardly found it funny at all, it was an enjoyable family film. However, I probably won't see it again for a while.
  9. PatrickC.
    May 8, 2007
    The best thing about this movie is the cast, which includes veterain actors Bill Cobbs, Mickey Rooney and Dick Van Dick as well as british actors Steve Coogan and Ricky Gervais. Sadly Ben Stiller isn't very good in the film and boredom strikes fifteen minutes into the film. It has too many problems for a movie which could have been good. I wanted to like this movie but found it The best thing about this movie is the cast, which includes veterain actors Bill Cobbs, Mickey Rooney and Dick Van Dick as well as british actors Steve Coogan and Ricky Gervais. Sadly Ben Stiller isn't very good in the film and boredom strikes fifteen minutes into the film. It has too many problems for a movie which could have been good. I wanted to like this movie but found it impossible as the clock clicked away. Expand
  10. StephanieS.
    Jun 10, 2007
    I was less than amused with this movie. Because of Ben Stiller I expected this movie to be a riot, but came out disappointed. It was okay but I wouldn't suggest buying it.
  11. JasonL
    Dec 25, 2006
    Don't let the 6 confuse you. I actually liked this movie quite a bit. If you are a parent and you want to take your kids to the movies, you have 18 months between pixar films. That can make for some tough family movie experiences. I can honestly say I enjoyed the movie, so did my wife and the two kids (ages 3 and 7). Steve Coogan (Octavius) and Owen Wilson really steal the show. Don't let the 6 confuse you. I actually liked this movie quite a bit. If you are a parent and you want to take your kids to the movies, you have 18 months between pixar films. That can make for some tough family movie experiences. I can honestly say I enjoyed the movie, so did my wife and the two kids (ages 3 and 7). Steve Coogan (Octavius) and Owen Wilson really steal the show. Definitely a worthy family film that I thought deserves more of a 60 metacritic rating that the one it did. Expand
  12. Brendan
    Apr 17, 2007
    This is a good family film that is will please the entire family. There is some silly homor that children will find amusing. The special effects will keep the average teen quiet. Finally the once-in-a-while smart joke and fairly funny performances put on by old pros like Mickey Rooney and Dick Van Dyke will keep adults happy. So all in all it's not the best film out there and some This is a good family film that is will please the entire family. There is some silly homor that children will find amusing. The special effects will keep the average teen quiet. Finally the once-in-a-while smart joke and fairly funny performances put on by old pros like Mickey Rooney and Dick Van Dyke will keep adults happy. So all in all it's not the best film out there and some parts can bore but it's a great experoence in IMAX or just a pleasent rainy day at the movies. Expand
  13. DavidT.
    Apr 26, 2007
    Trust me...I really wanted to like this movie!!! Big cast...adventurous plot but it was absolutely terrible! It's just dumb-founding how a movie can have that many big time actors in one movie and yet it was written and acted soooooo terribly. Ah well...guess you can't win them all!
  14. PamB
    Dec 26, 2006
    This movie was not horrible, but it was not that good either. The special effects were pretty good, but the story is preachy and predictable. And the music score sounds like it came off the assembly line for sappy family movies. Overall, it was ok family entertainment, but if we were watching it at home on the TV, I would have changed the channel.
  15. DKMcGimpsey
    Dec 27, 2006
    As far as Holiday "family" movies go it's pretty good, but judged on it's own merits and in comparison to better kiddy fair it comes of as mediocre. The effects are cool and in particular the T-Rex skeleton has a real feeling of authenticity. Some performances are good Dick Van Dyke, Ricky Gervais (who is underused here) and Stiller in the lead all spark of each of the script As far as Holiday "family" movies go it's pretty good, but judged on it's own merits and in comparison to better kiddy fair it comes of as mediocre. The effects are cool and in particular the T-Rex skeleton has a real feeling of authenticity. Some performances are good Dick Van Dyke, Ricky Gervais (who is underused here) and Stiller in the lead all spark of each of the script well enough. Carla Gugino and Robin Williams sappy turns are pivital weak points however. THe stars of the human cast were for me Owen Wilson and Steve Coogan who provide the film's only real belly laughs, and double it's watchability. The story is preachy, saccharine and syrupy but some nice comic performances and spectacular effects make it one of the very few films this winter season worth seeking out, but expect to have long forgotten it come the Summer and hopefully some more consistently funny movies. Expand
  16. MattS.
    Dec 29, 2006
    My son enjoyed it, and it is certainly innocuous enough. I laughed a couple times, but for the most part the humor was uncomfortably unfunny. I was particularly put off by the PHD candidate who insisted on correcting Ben Stiller's pronunciation of Sacagawea's name with an equally incorrect pronunciation. Good luck with that dissertation defense, sister.
  17. Jan 9, 2012
    No big deal but not terrible. Ben Stiller is quite funny, but he gets boring after some time. The movie has some funny parts, but it's no big deal. Nice to watch at night to break a leg, but not the best option of a comedy movie.
  18. Apr 12, 2015
    Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant are clearly more than able to write an amusing, family-friendly flick. Yet, Night at the Museum seems to miss anything to really sink our teeth into.
  19. Nov 15, 2013
    "Night at the Museum" has some memorable funny scenes, but has some memorable annoying scenes too. Like that monkey slapping scene, it's so irritating. The movie itself was pretty surprising, because I didn't think that the story would be like this.
  20. Jan 12, 2013
    Entertaining and original.
  21. May 10, 2013
    Owen Wilson and Steve Coogan are the only actors that keep this movie up with comedy and massive laughs as the little warring guys. They get small parts (No pun intended) and were easily the best parts of the movie. However, Larry Dayley is a boring, dull role to play and even though Stiller tries to craft memorable scenes, most of it falls flat. It's watchability doesn't rest in theOwen Wilson and Steve Coogan are the only actors that keep this movie up with comedy and massive laughs as the little warring guys. They get small parts (No pun intended) and were easily the best parts of the movie. However, Larry Dayley is a boring, dull role to play and even though Stiller tries to craft memorable scenes, most of it falls flat. It's watchability doesn't rest in the hands of the cavemen, slightly stiff Robin Williams or the cute monkey But in the hands of Jed and Octavious. Those guys deserve their own film. Expand
  22. Apr 23, 2013
    Night at the Museum wasn't as great as I thought, but still, never the less, it's still somewhat enjoyable. The story sets in very well, but with some slow paced moments, it really kind of stresses a little bit. It has its funny moments and also has its heart-felt moments. As far as characters go, Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) is the only one that really has got what it takes to keep the movieNight at the Museum wasn't as great as I thought, but still, never the less, it's still somewhat enjoyable. The story sets in very well, but with some slow paced moments, it really kind of stresses a little bit. It has its funny moments and also has its heart-felt moments. As far as characters go, Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) is the only one that really has got what it takes to keep the movie going. Other characters such as Teddy Rosevelt (Robin Williams) and Sacajawea (Mizuo Peck) kind of make the story boring and uninteresting. Overall, even with its negativities, it's still a fun movie to watch. Expand
  23. Jan 16, 2015
    Watched it recently on BD and for the first time. Its not that good. Its indented as a family comedy fun movie but it ends up not being very good. Jokes get old fast.
  24. Jul 24, 2014
    When it first came out, I enjoyed it an laughed along. As the years go by, on the other hand, the film becomes more cheesy and formulaic and underwhelming. Ben Stiller simply acts like an idiot to be funny, which is his 'thing', but he has to try something new. The ensemble cast could generate a few laughs, but in hindsight, there will probably be no reviewing.
  25. Nov 13, 2013
    Night at the Museum is just a fun loving film.
    There is nothing spectacular nor bad about this family comedy. Fairly predictable without much depth, but a few good laughs and a well paced cinema.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Wilonsky
    The first half-hour's too slow; the last half-hour's too manic, as if to compensate. But at least it entertains, thanks in large measure to the buddy-pic relationship between Owen Wilson's miniature cowpoke and his Roman pal Steve Coogan.
  2. This season's answer to "Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas," it's an overstuffed grab bag in which lumps of coal are glued together with melted candy.
  3. Director Levy struggles to find a uniform pitch that would agreeably blend together the gags, the visual effects and the obligatory heart moments. In its absence, there's a stop-and-start hollowness that confuses noise and chaos for comic energy.