4.2

1. Jan 16, 2011
    Unbelievable trash - Fellini would turn in his grave. Daniel Day Lewis and Kate Hudson will be ashamed of playing in this forever. Judy Dench - totally miscast. Worst musical score I've ever heard. Cheesy, ugly and pathetic. Zero points.
  2. killdarren
    Feb 13, 2010
    Question: who thought this was filmmable? What's wrong with Kidman's face, it never moves. This film is misogyny incarnate. Every woman is either a slut or a virgin and there only to kneel to men. Yes it deserves an award for worst film in recent memory.
  3. JeanR
    Jan 1, 2010
    Probably the worst movie that I have seen in many years.
  4. KatieY
    Jan 2, 2010
    Nine was a chaotic movie that was long (2.5 hours!) and dragged out. I'd never got the gist of Nine and I was confused of what was going on in most of the scenes. On a positive note, Marion Cotillard was outstanding in Nine and indeed was my favorite of Guido's many women.
  5. FrankJ
    Jan 5, 2010
    What was Rob Marshall thinking? Or Daniel Day Lewis for that matter? I walked out of the theater. Give me back my Fellini.
  6. tjallet
    Jan 10, 2010
    Sophia Loren, in her 30 second apperance, talks an almost accent-free English with Daniel Day-Lewis, who in his turn sounds like Sophia Loren used to in her early English-speaking films. That's funny!!
  7. AaronS
    Jan 11, 2010
    We the people are beyond disappointed with Rob Marshall. Chicago was undeniably a well-acted and well-sung masterpiece. And Nine was the exact opposite- a complete, uncomfortable and utter disaster.
  8. Gloria
    A lame, lame film.
  9. BaltazarH
    Jan 16, 2010
    The "Italian" acting in my opinion was kind of in the middle for me...either you exaggerate the funny Italian accent or you do it for real. None of the songs were very interesting at all. I don't understand how a movie with so many top actors wasn't entertaining to me at all.
  10. GaryD.
    Jan 19, 2010
    A nightmare of timing with a staggering start leading to a collapse in the middle with an inadequate finish. The music poorly contrived. Though the costumes were beautiful the movie failed to capitalize on the period. Kate Hudson and Fergie had the best numbers and the best choreography. Daniel Day Lewis had the worst.
  11. MattA
    Jan 2, 2010
    I want 2 hours of my life back. This movie will go down as the worst movie of 2009/10. Don't waste your money or time. The trailer makes this movie look better than it was. Gweedo Gweedo Gweedo
  12. PeterP.
    Jan 30, 2010
    Colossal waste of great talent! I saw 8 1/2 when it first came out and this "musical" is a vague, mumbled mess of a movie. I wanted to like it but couldn't. The music was straight out of "Cabaret" and was more German than Italian. Shame on you!
  13. Agnes
    Jan 3, 2010
    One of the worst movies I ever saw. Totally disjointed. Avoid.
  14. MarkI
    Dec 26, 2009
    I didn't like Marshall's new musical. I enjoyed 'Chicago' a lot, but 'Nine' is not a good film. I just liked Penelope Cruz's performance. She's a goddess, a great actress.
  15. Fantasy
    Dec 30, 2009
    Shoot Me Now. Possibly the most boring movie I ever saw. Run!
  16. Mia
    Jan 11, 2010
    A mess of emotionless overproduction, wretched songs, terrible acting and disorganized writing. Easily the worst film of 2009.
  17. Nintendo
    Jan 11, 2010
    John Lennon once said, "There's a great woman behind every idiot." This time, I'm counting seven of them.
  18. Fred
    Jan 11, 2010
    The golden globes, by nominating Nine for Best Picture and 4 other awards, have lost all credibility. Todd McCarthy's review for Variety lost him all credibility. Anyone with a brain for criticism and honesty knows this movie is horrendous. Laughable until it's not funny anymore. Laughable until its time to leave the theater.
  19. FilipeM
    Jan 13, 2010
    Good performances, but it reminded me of Thurdays nights, because I was like completely LOST. =P
  20. ChrisR.
    Jan 22, 2010
    The cast gave it their all, but this movie is completely devoid of any point of connection or relatability for the audience. It is impossible to care about any of these characters, no matter the skill of the actors portraying them(Cottilard is possibly the only exception). You can't even sit back and enjoy the dance numbers because the choreography is lost among the editing and the The cast gave it their all, but this movie is completely devoid of any point of connection or relatability for the audience. It is impossible to care about any of these characters, no matter the skill of the actors portraying them(Cottilard is possibly the only exception). You can't even sit back and enjoy the dance numbers because the choreography is lost among the editing and the tunes are just dirge. Terrible. Expand
  21. MichaelB
    Jan 26, 2010
    Emotionless crap. Pretentious and avant garde for the sake of it. Lacks a good story line and substance. The songs feature awful lyricism. It's a dud. Worst film i've ever seen.
  22. KennethS.
    Feb 15, 2010
    Absolutely the worst freaking junk of 2009. The lyrics to the tiring, boring, exhausting, and blaring songs were absolutely emotionless and meandering. The plot goes nowhere, and there's no central theme. Daniel-Day Lewis and Nicole Kidman and Sophia Loren and Judie Dench are all fine, accomplished actors but are truly horrible in this film, doing absolutely nothing but standing Absolutely the worst freaking junk of 2009. The lyrics to the tiring, boring, exhausting, and blaring songs were absolutely emotionless and meandering. The plot goes nowhere, and there's no central theme. Daniel-Day Lewis and Nicole Kidman and Sophia Loren and Judie Dench are all fine, accomplished actors but are truly horrible in this film, doing absolutely nothing but standing around, smoking, and singing. The costumes were flat and not spectacular at all, and overall, this "musical" was nothing but nothing. Expand
  23. QBeing
    Dec 28, 2009
    Another film about a self destructive man al la "All that Jazz". where the music wasn't as good, the story wasn't as good. But you do have an all star cast, most of them can't sing, but hey who needs to sing in a musical.
  24. Happy
    Dec 31, 2009
    I would rather have bamboo splints stuck under my fingernails then be subjected to this mess. This is awful as nothing works. Not a memorable song or dance routine in the entire movie. And Judy Dench singing please! Every song is BAD!
  25. AndresB.
    Dec 30, 2009
    This movie had no plot whatsoever. The songs didn't add anything to the story, it was a repetition of what we already knew about the characters. This is probably one of the worst movies I have seen this year. What a waste of time and money.
  26. AntonT
    Dec 31, 2009
    Stunningly bad. How could so many people with so much collective tallent produce something so worthless? Vapid lyrics, mediocre choreography, innane story. This movie comes at you until you can no longer stand it. Like watching a Slasher film--how will this next starlet's appeal be killed, you wonder as each breaks into innane son.
  27. BahHumbug
    Dec 19, 2009
    Fellini is going to rise from his grave and kill those responsible for this steaming pile.
  28. AllenF
    Dec 25, 2009
    This film is nearly a complete failure. Difficult to watch, boring through most of its length, except for Cotillard's early scenes. The musical numbers are superfluous and totally unnecessary to the storytelling. A sad, alienating failure and a big step backward for the movie musical genre.
  29. RipsiK
    Dec 26, 2009
    We were very disappointed. None of the songs were interesting or catchy, and there wasn't a storyline or plot - very chaotic. We sat through the entire thing hoping that something was going to happen that would help justify the money that we spent but were left wishing we had seen Avatar again instead.
  30. MojitoK
    Dec 26, 2009
    Visually artistic but that is where the good points end. This movie was terrible, boring, and disappointing. I was hoping for an entertaining musical like Chicago or Moulin Rouge, but got a two hour snooze-fest without a cohesive storyline or catchy tune. Save your money!
  31. DeanU
    Dec 26, 2009
    Very loosely based on the award-winning stage play but misses the growth the play showed. Good acting but only two numbers (Fergie & Kate Hudson) are up to Rob Marshall's standards. The rest are lame at best. Has all the charm of cardboard. The trailer should win the Oscar for best performance not depicting the movie.
  32. Anka
    Dec 29, 2009
    Daniel Day Lewis speaking in that terrible imitation of an italian accent. That's probably the best part of the film.
  33. Virgina
    Dec 31, 2009
    You know what made Seinfeld great? It was a show about nothing that was fantasically funny. Nine is a movie about nothing that is neither funny, interesting, and offers nothing to the arts.
  34. Lyn
    Aug 22, 2010
    I thought "Chicago" was brilliant and enjoyable, but with a story so thin that it evaporated from one's mind before one got home from the theater. By contrast, "Nine" has some brilliant and enjoyable song-and-dance performances, but virtually no story at all! To me, it's a waste of a lot of excellent actors, but people who are deeply appreciative of song-and-dance efforts might find itI thought "Chicago" was brilliant and enjoyable, but with a story so thin that it evaporated from one's mind before one got home from the theater. By contrast, "Nine" has some brilliant and enjoyable song-and-dance performances, but virtually no story at all! To me, it's a waste of a lot of excellent actors, but people who are deeply appreciative of song-and-dance efforts might find it worthwhile. Expand
  35. Aug 26, 2010
    only good parts were when Penelope Cruz was on screen..worth renting if nothing else..........................................................................................................................................
  36. Sep 28, 2010
    A film's stylistic vision is perhaps the aspect of film that I most personally adore. But although a film may employ all of the chic characteristics possible, it is completely futile if it possesses a lack of plot. Unfortunately, this is ultimately the importune description of Rob Marshall's(Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha) Nine.

Nine is a story of a director, Guido Contini (Daniel Day

Nine is a story of a director, Guido Contini (Daniel Day Lewis), that finds himself in a creative rut and endless romantic quandaries. So in facile terminology, the film is a story solely about writer's block. Though I was doubtful of the mundane premise, I was positive that the music and art direction of the film would compensate for it. While I was somewhat satisfied with the musical numbers- particularly Marion Cotillard's Take It All- it did not possess enough meaning to have any sort of relative significance when watching the film.

Before exemplifying the logic of my criticism, I must compliment the brilliance of the art direction within Nine. The choreography of the film is just mesmerizing as Fergie and her company effortlessly implement images of sand combined with dance. Also, the transition between gray scale and color in Kate Hudson's number was just simply creative in the way it depicted modernness versus antiquity. Penelope Cruz does execute an adequate performance, but having only a small portion on screen, I find myself confused of her Best Actress nomination. The true star of the film is Marion Cotillard, the subtle but complex manner of her performances is perhaps the highlight of the film. If you enjoyed her performance in french biopic La Vie En Rose, you will undoubtedly find satisfaction in this portion of the film.

Here is the characteristic of the film that makes all of the above compliments ineffective: the numbers are stringed in immensely vague manner. Many of the performances occur abruptly, with hardly no lead-in or relevance to the plot. What it comes down to is that Nine resembles MTV prior to the 2000s decade. It is just a series of music videos that only slightly are relevant towards each other. The plot is so weak, that it cannot support the brilliance of the art direction. It is hard to enjoy the sequences if they hardly have any sense. This leads me to question, who wants to watch a film about writer's block? Additionally, it does not help if the lyrics are so meaningless and simple (one of the chorus lines is "my husband makes movies").

If you are solely watching Nine for the musical performances, then it will fulfill that desire. But overall, Nine is not as a whole a good film. There is no memorable plot, which ultimately makes the music hollow and meaningless. Nine is an impressive sequence of music numbers, not an overall splendid film.
  37. Jul 14, 2011
    I wish I could have graded 2 and 1/8ths because "nine" the movie is exactly that, the original 8 1/2 turned into a musical, then turned into a movie again, losing half of its potency with every transformation. too bad that marion cotillard's elegance is wasted on "nine".
  38. Mar 23, 2011
    This movie was an insult to musical theatre. I honestly think it was the worst movie I have ever seen. I could hardly sit through it. Of all the musicals to turn into a movie, this was not the one.
  39. Jun 5, 2011
    This movie was very poor. There was very little story development and half the time you couldn't even tell what was going on. Marion Cotillard and Judi Dench stood out in terms of her acting, but the needless overuse of risque poses really let this one down. I really did not enjoy this and was spending a lot of the movie hoping for it to end.
  40. Sep 3, 2014
    Rob Marshall is by far one of the finest directors in the musical genre. This time he's taken a lesser known musical and has attempted to raise it as high as 2002's Chicago. Unfortunately, other than some gifted music, it falls completely flat.

1. The numbers, while lively, remain cluttered and stage-bound. The women, however, are spirited and sexy.
  2. The disappointments here are many, from a starry cast the film ill-uses to flat musical numbers that never fully integrate into the dramatic story. The only easy prediction is that Nine is not going to revive the slumbering musical-film genre.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Sophisticated, sexy and stylishly decked out, Rob Marshall's disciplined, tightly focused film impresses and amuses.