4.2

1. Sep 3, 2014
    Rob Marshall is by far one of the finest directors in the musical genre. This time he's taken a lesser known musical and has attempted to raise it as high as 2002's Chicago. Unfortunately, other than some gifted music, it falls completely flat.
  2. Jul 14, 2011
    I wish I could have graded 2 and 1/8ths because "nine" the movie is exactly that, the original 8 1/2 turned into a musical, then turned into a movie again, losing half of its potency with every transformation. too bad that marion cotillard's elegance is wasted on "nine".
  3. Jun 5, 2011
    This movie was very poor. There was very little story development and half the time you couldn't even tell what was going on. Marion Cotillard and Judi Dench stood out in terms of her acting, but the needless overuse of risque poses really let this one down. I really did not enjoy this and was spending a lot of the movie hoping for it to end.
  4. Mar 23, 2011
    This movie was an insult to musical theatre. I honestly think it was the worst movie I have ever seen. I could hardly sit through it. Of all the musicals to turn into a movie, this was not the one.
  5. Jan 16, 2011
    Unbelievable trash - Fellini would turn in his grave. Daniel Day Lewis and Kate Hudson will be ashamed of playing in this forever. Judy Dench - totally miscast. Worst musical score I've ever heard. Cheesy, ugly and pathetic. Zero points.
  6. Sep 28, 2010
    A film's stylistic vision is perhaps the aspect of film that I most personally adore. But although a film may employ all of the chic characteristics possible, it is completely futile if it possesses a lack of plot. Unfortunately, this is ultimately the importune description of Rob Marshall's(Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha) Nine.

Nine is a story of a director, Guido Contini (Daniel Day
    Lewis), that finds himself in a creative rut and endless romantic quandaries. So in facile terminology, the film is a story solely about writer's block. Though I was doubtful of the mundane premise, I was positive that the music and art direction of the film would compensate for it. While I was somewhat satisfied with the musical numbers- particularly Marion Cotillard's Take It All- it did not possess enough meaning to have any sort of relative significance when watching the film.

Before exemplifying the logic of my criticism, I must compliment the brilliance of the art direction within Nine. The choreography of the film is just mesmerizing as Fergie and her company effortlessly implement images of sand combined with dance. Also, the transition between gray scale and color in Kate Hudson's number was just simply creative in the way it depicted modernness versus antiquity. Penelope Cruz does execute an adequate performance, but having only a small portion on screen, I find myself confused of her Best Actress nomination. The true star of the film is Marion Cotillard, the subtle but complex manner of her performances is perhaps the highlight of the film. If you enjoyed her performance in french biopic La Vie En Rose, you will undoubtedly find satisfaction in this portion of the film.

Here is the characteristic of the film that makes all of the above compliments ineffective: the numbers are stringed in immensely vague manner. Many of the performances occur abruptly, with hardly no lead-in or relevance to the plot. What it comes down to is that Nine resembles MTV prior to the 2000s decade. It is just a series of music videos that only slightly are relevant towards each other. The plot is so weak, that it cannot support the brilliance of the art direction. It is hard to enjoy the sequences if they hardly have any sense. This leads me to question, who wants to watch a film about writer's block? Additionally, it does not help if the lyrics are so meaningless and simple (one of the chorus lines is "my husband makes movies").

If you are solely watching Nine for the musical performances, then it will fulfill that desire. But overall, Nine is not as a whole a good film. There is no memorable plot, which ultimately makes the music hollow and meaningless. Nine is an impressive sequence of music numbers, not an overall splendid film.
  7. Aug 26, 2010
    only good parts were when Penelope Cruz was on screen..worth renting if nothing else..........................................................................................................................................
  8. Lyn
    Aug 22, 2010
    I thought "Chicago" was brilliant and enjoyable, but with a story so thin that it evaporated from one's mind before one got home from the theater. By contrast, "Nine" has some brilliant and enjoyable song-and-dance performances, but virtually no story at all! To me, it's a waste of a lot of excellent actors, but people who are deeply appreciative of song-and-dance efforts might find it worthwhile. Expand

1. The numbers, while lively, remain cluttered and stage-bound. The women, however, are spirited and sexy.
  2. The disappointments here are many, from a starry cast the film ill-uses to flat musical numbers that never fully integrate into the dramatic story. The only easy prediction is that Nine is not going to revive the slumbering musical-film genre.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Sophisticated, sexy and stylishly decked out, Rob Marshall's disciplined, tightly focused film impresses and amuses.