4.2

1. Sep 29, 2011
    Yes, "Nine" is not a strong movie and I also agree that Federico Fellini would have despised it. But the veteran actors (especially Daniel Day Lewis) saves the day for the movie.
  2. Jan 16, 2011
    Unbelievable trash - Fellini would turn in his grave. Daniel Day Lewis and Kate Hudson will be ashamed of playing in this forever. Judy Dench - totally miscast. Worst musical score I've ever heard. Cheesy, ugly and pathetic. Zero points.
  3. Dec 24, 2012
    Rob Marshall proves here that he still having the talent that made Chicago a Best picture winning,it has strong performances from Daniel Day Lewis and Marion Cotillard and dazzling musical sequences.
  4. Aug 12, 2010
    Well, 'Nine' surely is not Rob Marshall's masterpiece (especially after 'Chicago' and 'Memoirs of a Geisha'), but it does have some good points.
    First of, technically, there is not much to say against it. Good costumes and set design, nice cinematography and good enough music. The performances are very good, especially Penelope Cruz and Marion Cotillard. Penelope Cruz, once again, proves that she is a very versatile performer and excellently pin-points the Italian accent for the role of Contini's mistress. Cotillard is also excellent, but somewhat underwhelming after her amazing performance in 'La Vie en Rose'. However, the rest of the cast is very good, too. Daniel Day-Lewis is not as good as usual, but still decent. Judi Dench is, well.. somewhat disturbing, but still ok. Nicole Kidman is perfect as the actress-diva of the 60s, but is somewhat underused, since the first half of the film is just building up for her arrival and then: nothing. Lovely performance and singing, though. The story is hard to follow and at the end of the film one wonders what it was all about. A writers block? A mid-life crisis? Many women? A man who does not know what he wants with his life? With his film? Seems ironical, since it reflects Rob Marshall's confusion over what to do with this film, for he surely could have done a much better job.
  5. Lyn
    Aug 22, 2010
    I thought "Chicago" was brilliant and enjoyable, but with a story so thin that it evaporated from one's mind before one got home from the theater. By contrast, "Nine" has some brilliant and enjoyable song-and-dance performances, but virtually no story at all! To me, it's a waste of a lot of excellent actors, but people who are deeply appreciative of song-and-dance efforts might find itI thought "Chicago" was brilliant and enjoyable, but with a story so thin that it evaporated from one's mind before one got home from the theater. By contrast, "Nine" has some brilliant and enjoyable song-and-dance performances, but virtually no story at all! To me, it's a waste of a lot of excellent actors, but people who are deeply appreciative of song-and-dance efforts might find it worthwhile. Expand
  6. Aug 26, 2010
    only good parts were when Penelope Cruz was on screen..worth renting if nothing else..........................................................................................................................................
  7. Sep 28, 2010
    A film's stylistic vision is perhaps the aspect of film that I most personally adore. But although a film may employ all of the chic characteristics possible, it is completely futile if it possesses a lack of plot. Unfortunately, this is ultimately the importune description of Rob Marshall's(Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha) Nine.

Nine is a story of a director, Guido Contini (Daniel Day

Nine is a story of a director, Guido Contini (Daniel Day Lewis), that finds himself in a creative rut and endless romantic quandaries. So in facile terminology, the film is a story solely about writer's block. Though I was doubtful of the mundane premise, I was positive that the music and art direction of the film would compensate for it. While I was somewhat satisfied with the musical numbers- particularly Marion Cotillard's Take It All- it did not possess enough meaning to have any sort of relative significance when watching the film.

Before exemplifying the logic of my criticism, I must compliment the brilliance of the art direction within Nine. The choreography of the film is just mesmerizing as Fergie and her company effortlessly implement images of sand combined with dance. Also, the transition between gray scale and color in Kate Hudson's number was just simply creative in the way it depicted modernness versus antiquity. Penelope Cruz does execute an adequate performance, but having only a small portion on screen, I find myself confused of her Best Actress nomination. The true star of the film is Marion Cotillard, the subtle but complex manner of her performances is perhaps the highlight of the film. If you enjoyed her performance in french biopic La Vie En Rose, you will undoubtedly find satisfaction in this portion of the film.

Here is the characteristic of the film that makes all of the above compliments ineffective: the numbers are stringed in immensely vague manner. Many of the performances occur abruptly, with hardly no lead-in or relevance to the plot. What it comes down to is that Nine resembles MTV prior to the 2000s decade. It is just a series of music videos that only slightly are relevant towards each other. The plot is so weak, that it cannot support the brilliance of the art direction. It is hard to enjoy the sequences if they hardly have any sense. This leads me to question, who wants to watch a film about writer's block? Additionally, it does not help if the lyrics are so meaningless and simple (one of the chorus lines is "my husband makes movies").

If you are solely watching Nine for the musical performances, then it will fulfill that desire. But overall, Nine is not as a whole a good film. There is no memorable plot, which ultimately makes the music hollow and meaningless. Nine is an impressive sequence of music numbers, not an overall splendid film.
  8. Jul 14, 2011
    I wish I could have graded 2 and 1/8ths because "nine" the movie is exactly that, the original 8 1/2 turned into a musical, then turned into a movie again, losing half of its potency with every transformation. too bad that marion cotillard's elegance is wasted on "nine".
  9. Jan 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the movie´s photography is simply perfect, i swear i love it´s scenography, BUT the movie, it´s kind of boring, i admit i like every kind of movies like musicals, historic drama´s but i was REALLY bored. Penelope Cruz actuation was not bad at all, but i consider that is NOT that greatful to be nominated for AcademyAwrds. . I thnk that the movie get´s so long, without an important topic, at the end, WHO cares Contini ? . Expand
  10. Mar 23, 2011
    This movie was an insult to musical theatre. I honestly think it was the worst movie I have ever seen. I could hardly sit through it. Of all the musicals to turn into a movie, this was not the one.
  11. Jun 5, 2011
    This movie was very poor. There was very little story development and half the time you couldn't even tell what was going on. Marion Cotillard and Judi Dench stood out in terms of her acting, but the needless overuse of risque poses really let this one down. I really did not enjoy this and was spending a lot of the movie hoping for it to end.
  12. Feb 21, 2012
    Overall the movie falls very short of being much more than a composite work that fails. Individually the film is filmed with performances that had they been somehow blended with each other it might have been much more satisfying. Lewis was an excellent choice for the protoganist but he has his limitations. The women each in their own way deliver the goods it's the goods they are askedOverall the movie falls very short of being much more than a composite work that fails. Individually the film is filmed with performances that had they been somehow blended with each other it might have been much more satisfying. Lewis was an excellent choice for the protoganist but he has his limitations. The women each in their own way deliver the goods it's the goods they are asked to deliver that are questionable, and not so much the goods as to the way in which they are asked to deliver them. Cruz, Coitllard and Loren are excellent within their limitations. Kidman is quite good as is Dench and Fergie. Only Kate Hudson seems lost in the shuffle and in many respects just wasn't needed. The cohesion is missing. That's the failing. Expand
  13. May 21, 2011
    I don't understand why so many people hate this movie. It's such a luscious film. Perhaps the only downside is being unable to understand Penelope Cruz when she's singing. Fergie's "Be Italian" is one of the best musical numbers ever. This movie is poignant, fabulous, and charming.
  14. Feb 3, 2013
    Daniel Day-Lewis is most definitely not in his best form; but Marion Cotillard,who steals the show, and help from the other women in this cast make this musical a triumph. Although not a single song is really entertaining enough to keep you engaged the whole time. I give this film 76%.
  15. Sep 3, 2014
    Rob Marshall is by far one of the finest directors in the musical genre. This time he's taken a lesser known musical and has attempted to raise it as high as 2002's Chicago. Unfortunately, other than some gifted music, it falls completely flat.
  16. Jan 24, 2013
    Academy Award nominated for Best Supporting Actress I resent the fact that this movie would have negative reviews from fans.
  17. Dec 4, 2013
    The saving grace is Dion Beebe's beautiful cinematography, Cotillard, Cruz and a superb ending that is delicately delivered and adds an excellent final touch tying up loose ends and book-ending the feature with its opening number, which will most likely be confusing for those that aren't familiar with Fellini's original film. Everything said, I'm interested in seeing it again. I am leavingThe saving grace is Dion Beebe's beautiful cinematography, Cotillard, Cruz and a superb ending that is delicately delivered and adds an excellent final touch tying up loose ends and book-ending the feature with its opening number, which will most likely be confusing for those that aren't familiar with Fellini's original film. Everything said, I'm interested in seeing it again. I am leaving room for this one to grow on me. Expand
  18. Feb 5, 2014
    For me was a very good movie, if you enjoy movies and musicals, this is for you. The cinematography was excellent. Kidman, Dench, Cruz, Cotillard, Fergie, HUdson look very nice in the movie. you must to see it.
  19. Jul 29, 2014
    "Nine" may be blabbering nonsense, but is admittedly great-looking. Nice performances from Cotillard and Cruz, enjoyable musical numbers, stunningly directed choreography and many improvements on the musical. Among its many weaknesses, the plot is confusingly pointless, the characters terribly one-sided and the premise too generic. It is pretty to look at, though, and an impressive piece"Nine" may be blabbering nonsense, but is admittedly great-looking. Nice performances from Cotillard and Cruz, enjoyable musical numbers, stunningly directed choreography and many improvements on the musical. Among its many weaknesses, the plot is confusingly pointless, the characters terribly one-sided and the premise too generic. It is pretty to look at, though, and an impressive piece of the movie-musical genre, even when compared to "Chicago". Expand

1. The numbers, while lively, remain cluttered and stage-bound. The women, however, are spirited and sexy.
  2. The disappointments here are many, from a starry cast the film ill-uses to flat musical numbers that never fully integrate into the dramatic story. The only easy prediction is that Nine is not going to revive the slumbering musical-film genre.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Sophisticated, sexy and stylishly decked out, Rob Marshall's disciplined, tightly focused film impresses and amuses.