Ninja Assassin

6.8

1. KeijiM
    Nov 27, 2009
    There are much better "ninja" movies out there than this. That both out perform it in action and story. 70% of the movie is in the dark and you can't see anything. The other 30% things are happening so fast you don't really see any action. and the story is worthless.
  2. MarcS
    Nov 25, 2009
    It's so unreal it hurts.
  3. JoeD
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anyone who gave this movie more than a 1 obviously doesn't know cinema. This movie was repetitive and overly-gory. It lacked a story and was a mess. Nothing could have saved this movie from utter disaster.
  4. NicLi
    Nov 28, 2009
    This movie was a waste of time. An overall lame attempt to wow the audience with fake looking CG blood and moronic special chain swinging effects which partake 90% of the movie. The plot is nothing less than laughable, I've stepped in puddles less superficial. Anyone less then 16 braincells would find a redeeming quality in this cinematic train wreck.
  5. SamJ
    Nov 29, 2009
    This was a terrible movie in every imaginable way. The story is retarded, the pacing is awful, and I've seen acting on soap operas that put this movie to shame. Normally if it was supposed to be some stupid mindless action movie, I'd let it slide, but even the action sucked! The fight scenes are repetitive and hard to follow. How could they have messed this up so bad?! I mean This was a terrible movie in every imaginable way. The story is retarded, the pacing is awful, and I've seen acting on soap operas that put this movie to shame. Normally if it was supposed to be some stupid mindless action movie, I'd let it slide, but even the action sucked! The fight scenes are repetitive and hard to follow. How could they have messed this up so bad?! I mean it's freakin ninjas, how do you make NINJAS LAME!?! Seriously don't waste your money on this, hell even the Twilight movies would be better than this quasi-ninja-wannabe crap. Expand
  6. MarcoP
    Nov 30, 2009
    YIKES what a horrible movie. I'm only giving it 1 star for the awesomeness that was the precredits sequence, whcih was pretty well done. But after those 10 minutes, everything goes to hell in a handbasket. Poorly choreographed fights (if you can call them that), the endless CGI blood was a joke, the plot/story was paper thin, the acting was atrocious (outside of Rain, he's YIKES what a horrible movie. I'm only giving it 1 star for the awesomeness that was the precredits sequence, whcih was pretty well done. But after those 10 minutes, everything goes to hell in a handbasket. Poorly choreographed fights (if you can call them that), the endless CGI blood was a joke, the plot/story was paper thin, the acting was atrocious (outside of Rain, he's actually quite good). Most of all, many of the fight scenes were poorly lit and badly edited, making it impossible to figure out what was going on. Adding to that, these were the noisiest ninjjas I have ever seen..Do yourself a favor save your money for when this comes out at the bargain bin, or rent it on netflix. Just stay home and play Ninja Gaiden instead. Expand
  7. kgm
    Dec 1, 2009
    Brutal child beatings issued from other children and the tasteless act of a man beating a child are part & parcel of this flick. Cue in the relentless violence and copious amounts of blood in this senseless and moral repugnant excuse for moviemaking. Sadistic people and sociopaths will rush to see this film
  8. Aug 27, 2010
    All other standards aside, to me 'Ninja Assassin" is really flawed on two fundamental levels - first of all, the plot is completely overthought, overwritten, and completely irrelevant to the action onscreen. We don't need a complicated trisecting storyline with braindead characters to complement random limbs getting hacked apart (and believe me, there are plenty of limbs flying around thisAll other standards aside, to me 'Ninja Assassin" is really flawed on two fundamental levels - first of all, the plot is completely overthought, overwritten, and completely irrelevant to the action onscreen. We don't need a complicated trisecting storyline with braindead characters to complement random limbs getting hacked apart (and believe me, there are plenty of limbs flying around this movie). The second main flaw, to me at least, is the movie's idea of a ninja. To me, ninjas are meant to be unassuming, enigmatic, killers who work alone for some self-defined benefit. Not in this movie. Here, ninjas are essentially as refined as an LA street-gang who run aimlessly around and throw ungodly amounts of ninja stars, which coincidentally sound like loud bullets, which ruins the point of a using a ninja star over a gun. Most of the ninjas in the movie are there to simply get shot down by the SWAT team (the movie wastes no time for epic, romantic battle scenes, save for the few with the Asian superstar Rain). To top it all off, there is not a single smoke bomb! Dammit! Expand
  9. Jul 16, 2012
    Rain's performance is awesome, but the action really sucks. The blood doesn't have very good visual effects, the film editing is terrible, and the rest of the acting is also terrible. The story is also senseless and lacking depth.
  10. Dec 12, 2013
    To be expected, all it has to offer is gruesome violence. Other than that there is nothing to interested in, and a ninja swinging a blade around- no matter how skilled he is- gets boring when that is all there is to be interested in.
  11. Oct 31, 2015
    As I looked in the Bluray cover my friend borrowed me, I already knew what I was going for in this film: A brutally violent, yet overly serious and too choppy motion picture to be entertaining. That is the case with this movie, but what's worst is the addition of paper-thin characters, half-baked plotting, and poorly directed, edited gory scenes, with zero knowledge of what is going on inAs I looked in the Bluray cover my friend borrowed me, I already knew what I was going for in this film: A brutally violent, yet overly serious and too choppy motion picture to be entertaining. That is the case with this movie, but what's worst is the addition of paper-thin characters, half-baked plotting, and poorly directed, edited gory scenes, with zero knowledge of what is going on in the particular scenes. There was no sense of fun in those sequences. Sure, there were ninjas with knives, swords, bladed chains, but does that really equal to good action? Absolutely no. The way director James McTeigue structured the action beats was beyond rushed and horrendous, with quick cuts, unnecessary close-ups and unrealistic jumps, along with awful editing, which is in display just by looking at the obviously shoddy CGI blood effect. Of course this guy learned nothing about "Matrix".

The first half of the movie really focus too much on flashbacks, rather on the main storyline. Not that the latter was less than bland, but there you have it. Too often I forgot I was watching "Ninja Assassin" with too many flashes to Raizo's past. Those scenes didn't do anything but to flesh out the character a little bit, and to offer more incomprehensible fights. The bad guy truly stood out as one of the most clichéd antagonists. Apart from the obvious perspective that he's a bad guy, there was no backstory nor humanity for this character to feel sympathetic. As for the other characters, what can I say about them, honestly? They got the simple plot moving, although I did like some performances. SOME. While the goons who were killed in the beginning of the movie were too over-the-top, star Rain portrayed his character finely, showing his emotions both as a ruthless killer and as good person underneath consistently. Naomie Harris portrayed her character just fine, but unfortunately she wasn't given much material to work with, being more kind of a love interest for our "hero". The movie didn't really need that romantic tension, but given how empty the script was, it probably was for the better.

If you are looking for a smartly plotted film, you won't find one in this mess. The narrative shows Raizo being trained by a highly secret society known as "Ozunu Clan", transforming himself into a cold-blooded warrior. His association with the group ends as they kill his best friend, escaping and hiding from them. He allies with agent Mika and Maslow (honestly I had to search this name because the guy was so forgettable) to stop this organization and kill his master. There's no emotional hook or depth whatsoever. It's just merely a preposterous, spaghetti-like clusterf*ck of a story that wants to generate action scenes, but not even that they can get it right. They don't even explain what's the purpose of having a ninja society that kills people who betray them.

This movie fails to live up to its title? Maybe to what's supposed to be (a great action flick), but this film assassinates too many elements that could have worked in favor for it. The only thing I recommend you is that if your favorite TV channel decides to air this movie one evening, or if someone brings the cover of this film, you be as fast as a ninja to avoid it.

Final Score: 3/10

1. Ninja isn't a great movie, but if you're in the right frame of mind, it is a bloody good time.
  2. Reviewed by: Rob Nelson
    Seemingly made to capitalize on a dubious CG innovation -- namely, the slicing of bodies in half by whizzing five-pointed stars -- Ninja Assassin has little else to recommend it, not even laughs.
  3. Numbingly gory when it isn’t just plain numbing.