No Country for Old Men

7.6

1. TylerK.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Excellent thriller. Very stripped-down, not sensationalized or predictable. One of the best villains to hit the big screen since Hannibal Lecter
  2. RobertL.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Riveting and simply sensational. Pulls you in like a vaccuum and does not let go. Not only does Javier Bardem create the greatest screen terror since Hannibal Lecter, his performance results in the most suspenseful and electric experience I've had at the theaters in years.
  3. BibliotechaSanchez
    Nov 22, 2007
    Best movie I've seen in the 2000s. I say the ending was the way it was because, There Will Be a Sequel. Camera work perfect. I love the western Hills Have Eyes feel, and backdrop. The two old couples sitting in front of me dressed in tuxes, jumped about a mile and a half out of their seats toward the end of the movie. I've Never seen old people move so fast. I thought that they Best movie I've seen in the 2000s. I say the ending was the way it was because, There Will Be a Sequel. Camera work perfect. I love the western Hills Have Eyes feel, and backdrop. The two old couples sitting in front of me dressed in tuxes, jumped about a mile and a half out of their seats toward the end of the movie. I've Never seen old people move so fast. I thought that they would die of cardiac arrest right on the spot in front of me they were so spooked. My chair was rattled by the younguns behind me too. I'm the only one that didn't move, because, well, I've got nerves of steel, and in my job in real life I deal with extreme stress. Nothing phases me. All in all, GREAT movie! I liked the way I felt when leaving the movie. I liked the music while walking out of the theatre. I somehow felt like the murder was not all bad of a guy who lived by his principles, lived in his Own reality, and was just trying to seek the truth in others. Sure he was pure evil, but people straightened up and thought Real hard about their answers when talking to him, maybe because they sensed that he was a volatile man and dangerous. Kind of reminds me of Brad Pitt in Kalifornia. 4 out of 4. Excellent movie that puts you right in it, as if you're there. Not like Children of Men (hated it). Better. Plus that former Goonie James Brolin is a great actor. Expand
  4. ShameM.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Those that give this movie a bad review should stick with the summer blockbusters. Not every movie has to follow the same tired formula to be good. This movie breaks the mold and actually makes you think, God forbid. Simply brilliant!
  5. MikeH.
    Nov 24, 2007
    I see about 100 movies a year in the theater and this was my most anticipated film of 2007 since I read all the film festival praise. " No Coubtry For Old Men" is an instant classic and it works on several levels depending on how much thought one wishes to invest. The characters, dialogue, photography, mood, pacing, acting and tone are all essential ingredients in the film's abilty I see about 100 movies a year in the theater and this was my most anticipated film of 2007 since I read all the film festival praise. " No Coubtry For Old Men" is an instant classic and it works on several levels depending on how much thought one wishes to invest. The characters, dialogue, photography, mood, pacing, acting and tone are all essential ingredients in the film's abilty to entertain and enlighten. So much so that " No Country For Old Men" is likely to be the best film of the year. It must be seen as soon as possible by everyone reading these words. Expand
  6. LesleyW.
    Nov 25, 2007
    An enthralling, well-crafted, suspenseful movie. I couldn't wait to see what happened next. Javier Bardem is an imposing villain. Amazing directorial nuances. I loved it!
  7. AA
    Nov 25, 2007
    The best and most-superbly haunting movie I've ever seen. Brilliant for what it depicts in stark gruesome detail and equally so for what it leaves to the imagination. Brief moments of dry wit, perfectly timed. A cat and mouse game that churned my stomach so that I wanted to turn away... but couldn't.
  8. BrendanM.P-diddy
    Nov 28, 2007
    This debate is truly fascinating, the way that the praise is clearly separated from the "criticism." On the one hand, those of us who love this movie clearly don't have a problem violence, especially violence that is so morally and thoughtfully infused. Perhaps we're sick--perhaps I'm sick (I'll entertain the notion)--but I found the amount and nature of the violence This debate is truly fascinating, the way that the praise is clearly separated from the "criticism." On the one hand, those of us who love this movie clearly don't have a problem violence, especially violence that is so morally and thoughtfully infused. Perhaps we're sick--perhaps I'm sick (I'll entertain the notion)--but I found the amount and nature of the violence powerful yet palatable. Those who condemn the movie might have accidentally missed the entrance for "Enchanted" or "Fred Claus." The other distinction to be made is that most of the praise tends to be eloquent, intelligent, and knowledgeable, whereas the so-called criticism is almost invariably shallow, vapid, and practically illiterate. I know that I sound like an elitist, but please, if you are going to condemn such well-wrought, meticulously crafted art, please check your spelling and your grammar. Expand
  9. CarldaddyC.
    Nov 30, 2007
    The cinemtography in this movie was good stuff. So good I think I crapped mi pantelones...The movies symbolism was amazing..I highly recommend it. ..(pooping noises silently sounding)But if you go wear a diaper.
  10. AaronS.
    Nov 7, 2007
    The best film of 2007.
  11. ProgGrrl
    Nov 9, 2007
    A fantastic film. See it twice. Incredible artistry at work on all levels.
  12. ColinS
    Dec 16, 2007
    I guess Matt B needs to be spoon fed his explanations in a generic doses of generic, in-your-face, make-sure-everything-is-wapped-up-in-a-tightly-wound-package-because-the-audience-can-only-be-entertained-and-never-enlightened kind of conclusion, rather than being challenged by the mature ending that presents itself in No Country. For once, I had something to ponder on the ride home. I guess Matt B needs to be spoon fed his explanations in a generic doses of generic, in-your-face, make-sure-everything-is-wapped-up-in-a-tightly-wound-package-because-the-audience-can-only-be-entertained-and-never-enlightened kind of conclusion, rather than being challenged by the mature ending that presents itself in No Country. For once, I had something to ponder on the ride home. After Transformers, all I had plastered in my brain was the Chevy brand symbol. Exceptional movie, with the most involving environment I've experienced since Fargo. There's not one misstep here. Expand
  13. NancyO.
    Dec 17, 2007
    Enthralling film by the Coen Brothers. Their incredible taste in storytelling is amazing. Loved the performances by all three principals. Their best work since the incredible Fargo, in my opinion.
  14. MaureenC.
    Dec 18, 2007
    Terrific movie - found my self laughing at inappropriate moments - the dialogue is sparse, economic and right thru the heart. Bardem IS a bad-ass fab actor!!
  15. LarryS.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Brilliant film. Outstanding casting, great characters. The direction is superb. A fabulous film that has something to say! NOT FOR THE AVERAGE MOVIE GOER WHO LIKES THE formula films that the studios pass off as filmaking.
  16. JohnB.
    Dec 20, 2007
    No Country for Old Men is absolutely brilliant. All the performances were mesmerizing and had me looking at their every movement, face, gesture. This is about as flawless of an adaptation as it gets. The best part of the movie was its suspense making every scene so strong. The movie manages to draw the viewer in and keep him/her glued to their seat eyes fixated on the movie screen. This No Country for Old Men is absolutely brilliant. All the performances were mesmerizing and had me looking at their every movement, face, gesture. This is about as flawless of an adaptation as it gets. The best part of the movie was its suspense making every scene so strong. The movie manages to draw the viewer in and keep him/her glued to their seat eyes fixated on the movie screen. This is most likely the best American movie of 2007. Expand
  17. MikeS.
    Dec 3, 2007
    A near perfect movie. Do not go expecting a typically told formulaic story. This is an exploration on a theme. And it was a pleasure to go on the journey. Great performances and direction. This movie pulls you in a way none other has since American Beauty. Best film of the year - hands down.
  18. DonJ.
    Dec 4, 2007
    It's not surprising that people who complain about this movie have no idea what they're talking about. Anyone that has ever watched a Coen Bros' movie should know there's much more going on than what you see. The movie is a contemplative masterpiece about the universal good vs. evil, and how-as the title states-each generation thinks the next will bring an end to It's not surprising that people who complain about this movie have no idea what they're talking about. Anyone that has ever watched a Coen Bros' movie should know there's much more going on than what you see. The movie is a contemplative masterpiece about the universal good vs. evil, and how-as the title states-each generation thinks the next will bring an end to everything good they've ever known(note: the scene where Jones talks to the old sheriff in the wheelchair, and asks him about how it was when he ran things). It truly has become no country for old men... And, finally, if you've read the book, you'll realize the movie is almost identical; hence the abrupt ending. One more thing: ever notice the Coens always have a theme related to money? their characters look for the quick fix and all hell ensues...(lebowski, arizona, fargo, no country...). Expand
  19. JaredM.
    Dec 7, 2007
    I do not give out 10's on a regular basis, so trust me when I tell you that if you want a movie that is perfectly paced, gripping, and contains the BEST dialogue in any movie this year or last, you want to see No Country for Old Men.
  20. RawlinR
    Dec 8, 2007
    A stunning movie that takes an in depth look at the true nature of violence. Do not go see this movie expecting to see superb fight scenes or leave the theater feeling good. In fact it is quite possible that when you leave the theater hating it, just as I did. But as one thinks about the movie and its statement about the nature of violence, one recognizes the genius of the movie and A stunning movie that takes an in depth look at the true nature of violence. Do not go see this movie expecting to see superb fight scenes or leave the theater feeling good. In fact it is quite possible that when you leave the theater hating it, just as I did. But as one thinks about the movie and its statement about the nature of violence, one recognizes the genius of the movie and realizes that the ending is not lacking but is in reality the only proper way to conclude the story. Expand
  21. WTFPancakes
    Jan 14, 2008
    This is probably the most technically perfect exercise in filmaking since 12 Monkeys. It isn't overstating it to say that the character of Anton Chigurh is one of the most memorable ever to haunt the silver screen. He isn't "evil" in the sense that terms like "good" and "evil" don't apply to him. He embodies the Nietzschean superman and, as such, regards humanity in much This is probably the most technically perfect exercise in filmaking since 12 Monkeys. It isn't overstating it to say that the character of Anton Chigurh is one of the most memorable ever to haunt the silver screen. He isn't "evil" in the sense that terms like "good" and "evil" don't apply to him. He embodies the Nietzschean superman and, as such, regards humanity in much the same way we regard livestock. He is, at once, a magnificent symbol and a memorably drawn character, and the Coen brothers deserve enormous praise for bringing such an enormously complicated creature to the screen so brilliantly. Expand
  22. AJ
    Jan 14, 2008
    In response to Jonathan Rosenbaum's poor review: One star? It seems you must be grading on a rather steep curve. Jonathan, how can it be a "well-made genre exercise" with admirable "creativity and storytelling" that has the "primal impact of silent pictures" and is "gorgeously shot" and yet earn one star from the reviewer? The very fact that a film that you describe as such has In response to Jonathan Rosenbaum's poor review: One star? It seems you must be grading on a rather steep curve. Jonathan, how can it be a "well-made genre exercise" with admirable "creativity and storytelling" that has the "primal impact of silent pictures" and is "gorgeously shot" and yet earn one star from the reviewer? The very fact that a film that you describe as such has provoked you to give it one star is evidence of its peculiar power. I hadn Expand
  23. kevinO
    Jan 16, 2008
    The Coen Brothers are what's great about America and they have hit the jackpot with this one.
  24. JohnS
    Jan 19, 2008
    Those who are looking for the satisfaction of a normal movie are missing the point. This movie is a parable. All of its characters are symbolic. Watch it again and ask yourself what each character represents, and you will get a lot more out of it. And you will better understand how masterful it is.
  25. Chris
    Jan 21, 2008
    In actuality, I give this film a 9.7 out of 10. It was a nearly perfect film that was so well captured. The film moves very fluidly and is very engaging. Javier Bardhem was brilliant, as was Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones. I would have liked Woody Harrellson's character to have been developed more and a little work with the editing knife would have been welcome, but in the end, this In actuality, I give this film a 9.7 out of 10. It was a nearly perfect film that was so well captured. The film moves very fluidly and is very engaging. Javier Bardhem was brilliant, as was Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones. I would have liked Woody Harrellson's character to have been developed more and a little work with the editing knife would have been welcome, but in the end, this film was spectacular. Easily the best film of 2007. Expand
  26. R.A.Lopez
    Jan 22, 2008
    A masterpiece. Extraordinary meditation on chance, choices, ethics and evil, that dares to play with the audiences' expectations in a way that resembles the randomness and brutality of life itself. The performances are great. Bardem and Kelly Macdonald are the standouts.
  27. AlC.
    Jan 23, 2008
    Quite an impressive film. I found that the absence of nondiagetic sound creates a wonderfully raw effect, leaving us feeling a bit naked, and unprotected. Best use of that technique I've seen in a while.
  28. RobH.
    Jan 24, 2008
    Very Coen. Like a darker version of Fargo - less humour, more violence (honestly portrayed). Morally complex and satisfying.
  29. JuneK.
    Jul 30, 2008
    Looking forward to the sequel. Too many unanswered questions. Such as where is the money? How did the anti-hero die? Did he really die or did the sheriff let him go away with his wife?
  30. MichaelE.
    Feb 12, 2008
    The best film of the year, much warmer and more meaningful than it's made out to be.
  31. Jun 28, 2011
    Having just wasted 2 hours watching No Country for old men I have to say that this was the most disappointing film I have ever watched. I wanted to like it and was intrigued for the first hour or so. The ending however was the biggest disappointment I can describe, far too many loose ends not explained and ultimately unsatisfactory!
  32. Dec 26, 2011
    I will never understand how any guy doesn't love this movie. Unless you're an idiot, of courseI will never understand how any guy doesn't love this movie. Unless you're an idiot, of course __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________- Expand
  33. May 15, 2014
    Great film as expected and one that really reminded me of my favorite Coen Brothers film, Fargo, at certain times, though this one is far, far darker. However, much like Fargo, this one is anchored by strong performances (especially Javier Bardem who was absolutely postively amazing), as well as brilliant cinematography by Roger Deakins, and great directing by the Coen Brothers. I am not aGreat film as expected and one that really reminded me of my favorite Coen Brothers film, Fargo, at certain times, though this one is far, far darker. However, much like Fargo, this one is anchored by strong performances (especially Javier Bardem who was absolutely postively amazing), as well as brilliant cinematography by Roger Deakins, and great directing by the Coen Brothers. I am not a huge huge Coen Brothers fan, but their skill is undeniable and it is on full display here. In particular, the thrills and then the lack of a "satisfying" ending were perfect. While many were bothered by the ending, I absolutely loved it. While it may not be what you are looking for, it feels all so appropriate. However, easily my favorite sequence is the opening sequence with the great monologue by Tommy Lee Jones, which really sets up the rest of the film perfectly. In addition, Anton's first victim that we see really sets the tone for how crazy and vicious he really is. Finally, the setting is gorgeous. I am a sucker for western settings in film and this one is no exception. It really lends itself to beautiful shot after beautiful shot and Deakins and the Coens really use it to its fullest.

On the negative side, the film is a tad slow admittedly. While it is thrilling and exciting and never really boring, it certainly drags at times (though everything has a purpose in the film). Not a major knock, but a knock all the same. Overall, a great accomplishment, this one is yet another entry into a great year in 2007.
  34. Mack
    Jan 6, 2009
    This movie was well made and was one of a very few movies that really knows how to build suspense and tension through quiet. Unfortunately, it is certainly not one of the all time great movies. It's basically the Terminator when you come down to it.
  35. MichaelH
    Dec 25, 2007
    I was prepared to like this movie more than I did. The timing dragged. I believe the Coen brothers wanted the spare words and images to say more than they did. I believe some critics and reviewers were mesmerized by the beautiful photography and were distracted from the rather fragmentary plot. I don't think its fragmentation spoke to me: the thriller portion of it and theI was prepared to like this movie more than I did. The timing dragged. I believe the Coen brothers wanted the spare words and images to say more than they did. I believe some critics and reviewers were mesmerized by the beautiful photography and were distracted from the rather fragmentary plot. I don't think its fragmentation spoke to me: the thriller portion of it and the philosophy didn't work together for me. I think the writing needed to be stronger.

I gave it an "8" on the strength of the cinematography which is gorgeous and the acting which is good. I thought a couple of the monologues could have been spoken in a way that was more meaningful...I felt a couple of them wandered..
  36. SiskelsGhost
    Dec 3, 2007
    An awesomely well directed, paced, and acted film on the tragic state of man. The film basically highlights the trouble we (as individuals or a society) get into when we try to satisfy our most unquenchable base motivations of greed and ego. Tommy Lee Jones, who plays an aging sheriff, seems frustrated by this merciless nonsensical "modern world" but soon realizes - hey this is just how usAn awesomely well directed, paced, and acted film on the tragic state of man. The film basically highlights the trouble we (as individuals or a society) get into when we try to satisfy our most unquenchable base motivations of greed and ego. Tommy Lee Jones, who plays an aging sheriff, seems frustrated by this merciless nonsensical "modern world" but soon realizes - hey this is just how us humans have been and always will be! In general, I feel the "evil" (Chiguhr) was portrayed as a little too extreme and simplistic. The films "beast of man" is simply too easy to identify. I would prefer a more subtle characterization of our most base instinct. For example out of control consumerism or blind patriotism instead of the cliched mass murderism. As the infamous Kaiser Soze once explained... "the most cunning thing the Devil every did was to convince us that he doesn't exist...". Expand
  37. JohnPapas
    Oct 29, 2008
    Just because I don't like Wes Anderson, it doesn't mean I don't understand comedy. Just because I don't enjoy Coen Brothers movies, doesn't mean I don't understand unique American filmmaking. Overrated by film nerds, another Memento/Fight Club, I'm-smarter-about-films-than-you following. Watch it once then decide. But it's easy to win best pictureJust because I don't like Wes Anderson, it doesn't mean I don't understand comedy. Just because I don't enjoy Coen Brothers movies, doesn't mean I don't understand unique American filmmaking. Overrated by film nerds, another Memento/Fight Club, I'm-smarter-about-films-than-you following. Watch it once then decide. But it's easy to win best picture when most films are crap competition nowadays anyhow. People real defensive about the ratings here need to get off their high horse. Not liking the Coen Brothers does not make you a movie heathen. Lighten up, it's not that good. Expand
  38. notmyrealname
    Jan 30, 2008
    Great acting, direction, story, everything. Ending did kind of seem unfulfilled at first, but, later, I realized how meaningful it really is.
  39. AD
    Oct 7, 2008
    I understand and take into account how this film is an allegory for good and evil, and how evil is an unstoppable force, showed in the way that severe injuries obtained my chigurh are merely minor inconveniences. However there are many parts that i looked on at all levels and couldn't see any meaning or story in them. I appreciate the fact that this movie can be taken on a different I understand and take into account how this film is an allegory for good and evil, and how evil is an unstoppable force, showed in the way that severe injuries obtained my chigurh are merely minor inconveniences. However there are many parts that i looked on at all levels and couldn't see any meaning or story in them. I appreciate the fact that this movie can be taken on a different level, however this level is just one, and only one level. Allegories such as Animal Farm can be taken on 3 levels - a childish story, a satire on the Russian Revolution, and a satire on revolution in general. However the reason this movie has got average user reviews is that No Country for Old Men can only be taken on one level, which is the allegory level. The people who gave this movie bad reviews cannot see the movie on this level. They see movies like they see crap hollywood rubbish - no attention to acting, just jokes and successful protagonists. This, is what I consider to be a major flaw in this potentially perfect film. At around 2 hours long, No Country for Old Men may continue to share its numerous messages, however it can be compared to sitting down for 2 hours learning about lessons in life and views on good and evil. The storyline is solid, but could be better, to avoid this lesson-learning process. To all those people wondering where the money went, Chigurh got it and its proved when he pays the boy 100 dollars for his shirt after the crash. Also, TO ALL THOSE CONCERNED WITH THE ENDING READ THIS. The ending is somewhat perfect. Yes you heard me. At 15 years old even I understand it. The story is another allegory for good and evil. The mountains being darkness, that envelop the good and surround it, almost cornering it. Bell is carrying the flame of good, but it is aging and is going to be extinguished as Bell is aging and is going to retire. Can everyone see my logic with the points i raised? Comments please Expand
  40. JL
    Feb 12, 2008
    Overall I enjoyed this movie, but given the hype I was a bit disappointed. The cinematography, acting, and dialogue was quite strong. But I thought plot felt awkwardly compressed, particularly towards the end. Also, I found the amount of bloodshed to be comically excessive in an otherwise serious and well adapted movie. I liked the film, but it is certainly not the Coens' best.
  41. ChaseW.
    Feb 2, 2008
    This movie actually excelled in areas except conclusion. While it's definitely not for everyone, I highly recommend this film. If you're a fan of mafia movies or other storylines that ooze violence and have often unexpected grim outcomes then you sit through this movie. With that said, the violence is not overly gory as some other films have sought out to be. The acting in this This movie actually excelled in areas except conclusion. While it's definitely not for everyone, I highly recommend this film. If you're a fan of mafia movies or other storylines that ooze violence and have often unexpected grim outcomes then you sit through this movie. With that said, the violence is not overly gory as some other films have sought out to be. The acting in this film is excellent and Bardem has landed a role that not only is worthy of Oscar but should be classified as one of the all-time great villains in movie history. The only reason I have it an 8, is this continued trend of the last five years to not conclude stories. Continuing to reference The Sopranos, why can't we bring things to a conclusion any longer? It's almost as if we're trying to leave things open for a sequel or something. While I appreciate that life doesn't come all wrapped up with a bow on top, stories usually do. It's called an ending and this movie would have earned a 10 if it had a solid one. Expand
  42. WesM.
    Jun 15, 2008
    Great filmmaking. Stupid message that appeals to bitter old people. The world isn't going to hell.
  43. VerminD
    Sep 5, 2009
    If you think reality TV is cool (every emotion vocalised, contrived confrontation in everything, no use for self respect/restraint), then this movie probably isn
  44. AlexP.
    Nov 11, 2007
    This movie is in huge danger of being over-praised. It is an expertly made crime-gone-wrong western, but it is not a masterpiece and I'm not sure it's even great. The movie (and this probably issues from the book) seeks to be more than a genre story. About 70 minutes in, it starts to become an existential fable about how Death waits on the other side of the door for us all. And This movie is in huge danger of being over-praised. It is an expertly made crime-gone-wrong western, but it is not a masterpiece and I'm not sure it's even great. The movie (and this probably issues from the book) seeks to be more than a genre story. About 70 minutes in, it starts to become an existential fable about how Death waits on the other side of the door for us all. And though it starts with thrilling efficiency, it finishes with needless scenes and dubious monologues about dreams, fathers, and the hazards of police work. Josh Brolin is tremendous but when he disappears, the momentum peters out. Great movies have great endings. This movie does not finish so wonderfullyl. Critics will admire it; audiences will be puzzled. Expand
  45. Filmfan
    Nov 18, 2007
    The film is absorbing, well paced and well acted. The hip ironic dialogue is entertaining, but the film is propped up too much by Tarantino type blood humor.
  46. BillC
    Nov 22, 2007
    With all the great reviews this film has gotten I was anxious to see it. While watching it I couldn't get the thought out of my mind that this film was a lot like FARGO. Change the location from Minnesota to Texas and presto. It's paced well and filmed beautifully. Fargo is the better picture IMO , but this film was good.
  47. ChristopherW.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Excellent cast, sharp dialogue, deadly good cinematic touches, and fascinatingly morose murders and near murders by a villian as evil as they come...undone a bit by a rather languid pace, some undercooked character motivations, and an instantly controversial ending that just sort of arrives without a truly cohesive resolution. It's unconventional to be sure, but the Coen Brothers Excellent cast, sharp dialogue, deadly good cinematic touches, and fascinatingly morose murders and near murders by a villian as evil as they come...undone a bit by a rather languid pace, some undercooked character motivations, and an instantly controversial ending that just sort of arrives without a truly cohesive resolution. It's unconventional to be sure, but the Coen Brothers live for this kind of stuff! Expand
  48. HerbertN.
    Nov 27, 2007
    maybe i'm becoming a softy in my old age, but there was just something so unrelentingly nihilistic about this film that kept me from giving it a higher score. that said, this may be one of the most brilliantly realized and deftly crafted films from the coen brothers (and that's no small feat). worth seeing.
  49. BenB
    Nov 30, 2007
    Not a bad movie by any standards, but one of the worst movie disappointments that I have ever seen. A fairly taut, well-written thriller, the movie is a little too ponderous at times, stretching for a greatness that is not quite there. The Coens made the most ambitious movie possible with this story, that generally comes off well. However, this moves a bit too slow, and the plot is a Not a bad movie by any standards, but one of the worst movie disappointments that I have ever seen. A fairly taut, well-written thriller, the movie is a little too ponderous at times, stretching for a greatness that is not quite there. The Coens made the most ambitious movie possible with this story, that generally comes off well. However, this moves a bit too slow, and the plot is a little too unoriginal. I think the reason this movie deserves a 7 is Cormac McCarthy's source novel, which simply doesn't deserve any hype, and having the Coen brothers adapt a movie from this script is like asking a 4-star restaturant to do the best they can with a McDonald's recipe. Watchable, but nothing that special. Expand
  50. GeorgeM
    Nov 9, 2007
    Brilliant film with an abrupt, unsatisfactory conclusion. Outstanding performances for all involved.
  51. AndrewT.
    Dec 1, 2007
    Entertaining with intense characters and scenes. However, I found the ending emotionally unsatisfying. And a movie like this has to work on an emotional level to be truly great. So only a 8, despite the critic's raves.
  52. StevenM
    Dec 31, 2007
    Every great piece of art has its detractors, hence the few downer votes here. The Coen brothers serve up their most serious film in a decade -- a slow burn look at violence in America. Bardem is a psycho who is violence; Brolin is a guy who thinks he can only play with violence; Jones is the veteran of violence, submitted by its power. Don't go in expecting a Leathal Weapon film orEvery great piece of art has its detractors, hence the few downer votes here. The Coen brothers serve up their most serious film in a decade -- a slow burn look at violence in America. Bardem is a psycho who is violence; Brolin is a guy who thinks he can only play with violence; Jones is the veteran of violence, submitted by its power. Don't go in expecting a Leathal Weapon film or Fargo; this is a slow methodical character study. The last scene is a stunner, and demands that Jones win a second Oscar. Not the best of the year, but close. Expand
  53. JasonJ.
    Dec 3, 2007
    I've never seen a movie come so close to being a 9 or 10 when, in the last 20 minutes, loses the audience on a dime. What an exciting premise. The beginning is spectacular and it just gets more dramatic from there. But, the movie takes a nose-dive when the principal character is nonchalantly killed (they don't even show the scene) and we are left with a cast of actors that were I've never seen a movie come so close to being a 9 or 10 when, in the last 20 minutes, loses the audience on a dime. What an exciting premise. The beginning is spectacular and it just gets more dramatic from there. But, the movie takes a nose-dive when the principal character is nonchalantly killed (they don't even show the scene) and we are left with a cast of actors that were more or less very minor to the interesting part of the plot. It was great entertainment and it certainly holds up to almost anything made lately, but it was butchered at the end needlessly. Expand
  54. JoeH.
    Dec 4, 2007
    The Coens love movies, love to recreate them and making loving homages to them, but it's always been American films and now they have decided to take an "art" novel and give it their best Bergman take. Note the suddenly still camera, the spectre of Death, ala Seventh Seal, the final "dream" ripped right out of that film. This movie is about a "plague" and it fits in perfectly with The Coens love movies, love to recreate them and making loving homages to them, but it's always been American films and now they have decided to take an "art" novel and give it their best Bergman take. Note the suddenly still camera, the spectre of Death, ala Seventh Seal, the final "dream" ripped right out of that film. This movie is about a "plague" and it fits in perfectly with the boys deciding to focus on Bergman for their story telling inspiration. Expand
  55. KeirB.
    Dec 7, 2007
    Very well acted and written, with great Cinematography. My only problem with the film, is that I feel that it glorifies violence. It is a good film, by all standards. I do hope that "Atonement" beats this for Best Picture.
  56. MarkL.
    Jan 24, 2008
    Brilliant. Up there with Fargo and Pulp Fiction.
  57. CooperH.
    Stunningly good acting - flawless dialogue - hauntingly real
  58. Amber
    Jan 26, 2008
    Fantastic. Don't read the reader reviews- there's spoilers galore, and they're all too stupid to mention it.
  59. AnthonyS
    Jan 26, 2008
    Wonderful film. It was very dark, and I can see where some people may not be satisfied with the ending. The mistake these people make is that they confuse who the main character really is. This is a story about old men. Men who live until they are old. Get that and you'll have a different perspective of the film's ending.
  60. RobertP.
    Jan 31, 2008
    Amazing, I hope Bardem gets an Oscar, he was terribly perfect with his character. I think this film is one of the surprises of the year, perhaps one of the best in the 20's, i went out of the cinema containing my feelings, incredibly exciting!!! I think I'll get the DVD.
  61. RichRainey
    Jan 5, 2008
    Perfectly paced, written, filmed, acted, directed and conceived. There is more emotion in one frame here than in most other entire movies. I have always loved the Coen brothers stuff, but this is the best one yet. I felt just as uncomfortable (that's a compliment, because that's how I'm supposed to feel) throughout the entire film as Woody did in his last scene. This has toPerfectly paced, written, filmed, acted, directed and conceived. There is more emotion in one frame here than in most other entire movies. I have always loved the Coen brothers stuff, but this is the best one yet. I felt just as uncomfortable (that's a compliment, because that's how I'm supposed to feel) throughout the entire film as Woody did in his last scene. This has to win the Best Picture award, hands down. Expand
  62. NS
    Feb 12, 2008
    I think one of the problems is that for 90 minutes the movie trades brilliantly on being a fantastically tense action thriller and then apparently decides that it doesn't care about being that at all for the last 20 minutes. Surely it's understandable that some people might feel cheated by a movie full of charismatic fantasy psychos and resilient everyday supermen slaying people I think one of the problems is that for 90 minutes the movie trades brilliantly on being a fantastically tense action thriller and then apparently decides that it doesn't care about being that at all for the last 20 minutes. Surely it's understandable that some people might feel cheated by a movie full of charismatic fantasy psychos and resilient everyday supermen slaying people and having gunfights and car crashes that never attract attention but which then tries to claim 'this is how the real world is' at its bleak end? Not that the movie does not present some interesting ideas to chew on at the conclusion. Still, a fantastically riveting film overall. Expand
  63. JayH.
    Feb 26, 2008
    An absolutely brilliant film. Every cast member is outstanding, especially Javier Bardem. The pace is perfect, it grabs your attention from the first frame right to the last. Outstanding cinematography and editing. Tense and suspenseful, thoroughly engrossing. The Coen Brothers have made a remarkable movie, well deserving of it's four Oscars.
  64. LeoC.
    Feb 4, 2008
    The film is a masterpiece from the Coen Brothers.
  65. DanielJ
    Feb 7, 2008
    I am completely surprised at how many people simply don't understand the movie and hence lambast it with tripe like "it's pointless and too violent." First of all, as if to scream at the audience that the film is not solely about violence, the Coens decide to tone down many of the book's murder scenes and don't even show (physically) the fates of Chigurh's last I am completely surprised at how many people simply don't understand the movie and hence lambast it with tripe like "it's pointless and too violent." First of all, as if to scream at the audience that the film is not solely about violence, the Coens decide to tone down many of the book's murder scenes and don't even show (physically) the fates of Chigurh's last victims. It is consistently well directed, shot, and acted throughout, resulting in a completely in-depth environment and characters. By no means is it ever boring or choppy, as long as you understand the motives and developments of the characters throughout the whole movie. Chad would have you believe that the first third is nothing but slow and boring nonsense, but it is in actuality the whole basis for the characters. The first part establishes Moss's motivation (which is not simply greed for those of you who think 300 is the best film of 2007), Bell's contempt for the modern state of man, and Chigurh's inhuman nature that propels each man to his own distinct fate. Aside from the constant intensity, I believe one of the film's greatest strengths is its dialogue. Not much is changed from the book, but some is to fit a different scene in the movie better. Each time a character speaks the viewer can see straight into his head and view his motivation, his worldview, his disillusionment, or, in Chigurh's case, his nonchalant disregard for humanity. Finally, the ending of the movie, while much reviled by incompetent viewers, is absolutely perfect. That's not just my opinion, it's a fact. (Spoilers) Yes, every good person except Bell dies and the villain gets away with the money, and the last line is a seemingly disconnected reflection on Bell's dream. However, one of the most prevalent themes of the movie is how evil has come to envelope society, harming the innocent (i.e. Carla Jean) while evil itself often gets away and further spreads its venom. Thus, the ending may be depressing, but it is necessary. With that in mind, there really weren't any loose ends that needed to be tied up, there were only certain characters' uncertain futures. As to Bell's last line, in which he describes his dream, reflects how Bell is second guessing his whole existence because he earnestly feels that it is futile to try to ward off the encompassing evil that Chigurh represents and he has wasted his whole life in a vain attempt to do so. All in all, the direction, acting, cinematography, editing, and even the sounds of the movie serve to bring McCarthy's chilling novel of profound insight into haunting reality. Don't listen to the morons who give it anything less than an 8. Anyone who is able to actually interpret and apply the film beyond its outer surface would see just how incredible a job the Coens did in writing and directing the film. It's even better than Fargo, and that's saying something. Expand
  66. DavidF.
    Mar 11, 2008
    I thought the movie was great. People complain about the ending, but I don't understand what they want. Is anything short of the bad guy dying or killing everyone else a non-ending? Great acting, interesting characters, suspenseful. Was pretty violent, but if that doesn't bother you, then I highly recommend it.
  67. halb
    Mar 11, 2008
    Dark and nihilistic? Yes. Not your typical feel-good, tie-everything-up-in-a-nice-ribbon, hollywood ending? Check. Not everyone's 'cup of tea'? Yes, most definitely. But to suggest that this is a bad movie, or that it didn't deserve its Oscars... Well, that's just flat out wrong-headed. This film, based on the excellent story by Cormac McCarthy, is *exceedingly* Dark and nihilistic? Yes. Not your typical feel-good, tie-everything-up-in-a-nice-ribbon, hollywood ending? Check. Not everyone's 'cup of tea'? Yes, most definitely. But to suggest that this is a bad movie, or that it didn't deserve its Oscars... Well, that's just flat out wrong-headed. This film, based on the excellent story by Cormac McCarthy, is *exceedingly* well written, well acted, well paced, beautifully photographed, well edited and well directed. The three leads - Bardem, Jones and Brolin - are outstanding. This film does not -- as some suggest -- glorify violence or nihilism. It absolutely does NOT glorify or condone the cold-blooded actions of the killer (actually, killers plural). Dig just a little deeper, all you nay-sayers, and you may understand the central point of McCarthy's book and of this excellent film. Then again, maybe this is just a bit too profound and clear-headed a morality tale (and character study) for many viewers. There are one or two scenes alone that are worth the price of admission ... e.g., the pit bull chasing Brolin's character down the turbulent river, closing on him as relentlessly as Death. Amazing stuff. Expand
  68. SeanP
    Mar 11, 2008
    Or they really liked the movie Mike. Movies here aren't rated on originality but enjoyment. Its okay though because dismissing other peoples opinions is a good way to get yours dismissed. It is easy to hate the movie if you go in with unreasonable expectations.
  69. benp.
    Mar 14, 2008
    Love it or hate it, cause the only way to leave the theatre feeling different is if you have vegetable brains. And anyone who hates it must have lived their whole life in colorado city or behind padded walls. It doesn't mean their crazy or stupid, just that whatever goes on in the world isn't their reality. No Country For Old Men portrays drugs, money, greed and the fate that Love it or hate it, cause the only way to leave the theatre feeling different is if you have vegetable brains. And anyone who hates it must have lived their whole life in colorado city or behind padded walls. It doesn't mean their crazy or stupid, just that whatever goes on in the world isn't their reality. No Country For Old Men portrays drugs, money, greed and the fate that comes with it in a very eery and extreme, yet completely realistic way. Any one of us could be Llewelyn and in this world we live in, his fate could be ours as well. What a raw display of how powerful and unforgiving the nature of men can be. Expand
  70. EdT
    Mar 15, 2008
    I wouldn't say 30+million people is nobody, would you? Is that your definition of nobody? If so, you might want to find a dictionary. Regardless, at this point, is there such a thing as an original story? No, there isn't. But what makes No Country for Old Men a great film is its terrific sense of pace, understated, powerful performances from everyone involved (especially Tommy I wouldn't say 30+million people is nobody, would you? Is that your definition of nobody? If so, you might want to find a dictionary. Regardless, at this point, is there such a thing as an original story? No, there isn't. But what makes No Country for Old Men a great film is its terrific sense of pace, understated, powerful performances from everyone involved (especially Tommy Lee Jones and Kelly MacDonald, who deserved a nomination), a script that's both darkly funny and fearsome and of course, the sure-handed direction of the Coens. As for its conclusion, it underscores the point and theme of the film perfectly: that life is ambiguous, that fate and chance both have their roles to play and that life, no matter how hard we try to impose some sort of meaning and narrative upon it, just is a series of randomly connected events. Expand
  71. HaroldR.
    Mar 17, 2008
    It's so amusing to watch people frequently try to disparage this movie because it doesn't cater to what they perceive the average movie as being. The movie is thrilling, well written, imaginative and purposefully unique. It doesn't possess the cliched "we got the back guy!!" ending that everyone is accustomed to. No, it reflects the real world, where things cannot be It's so amusing to watch people frequently try to disparage this movie because it doesn't cater to what they perceive the average movie as being. The movie is thrilling, well written, imaginative and purposefully unique. It doesn't possess the cliched "we got the back guy!!" ending that everyone is accustomed to. No, it reflects the real world, where things cannot be anticipated. If you crave eccentric films, that follow no set path, then this movie is for you. Oh, and it deserved Best Movie of the Year, and no amount of petty 1 out of 10 ratings is going to change that. Expand
  72. LesterF.
    Mar 17, 2008
    An understated, post-modern masterpiece. It is the way it is told that makes this film so wonderful. Yes, it disconcertingly prises your hands from their obedient grasp on reality but the payoff is worth it. The running time is a little over two hours but I challenge anyone to refute that this film did not stick with them for far longer. Love it or hate it Anton Chigurh's pageboy An understated, post-modern masterpiece. It is the way it is told that makes this film so wonderful. Yes, it disconcertingly prises your hands from their obedient grasp on reality but the payoff is worth it. The running time is a little over two hours but I challenge anyone to refute that this film did not stick with them for far longer. Love it or hate it Anton Chigurh's pageboy hair, hallow eyes and hateful tongue; and the romantic ramblings of Sherrif Ed Tom Bell were part of our conscious and subconscious thought for days after this one. Phantasmagorical. Poetic. Brilliant. Expand
  73. JRo
    Mar 18, 2008
    Wow. The people that give low ratings on this movie seem to not be able to understand ....anything about life. Useless filler? Building suspense without using music is incredible enough in itself. You have to try to interpret what happens in the movie. Apparently, some of you are typical Americans and fail to be able to watch a movie that is not completely straightforwad. Congrats on the Wow. The people that give low ratings on this movie seem to not be able to understand ....anything about life. Useless filler? Building suspense without using music is incredible enough in itself. You have to try to interpret what happens in the movie. Apparently, some of you are typical Americans and fail to be able to watch a movie that is not completely straightforwad. Congrats on the lack of progression in being a normal functioning human adult. This movie is one of the best that you could ever hope for. Expand
  74. MarcB.
    Mar 26, 2008
    Real life characters rather than movie characters. Real life result rather than movie result where everyone lives happily ever after. Two contemporary scenes which struck me as insightful occurred when Moss was shot and when Anton was involved in a car crash. Both situations revealed more emphasis on money than health by one of the parties. The young men on the bridge were more Real life characters rather than movie characters. Real life result rather than movie result where everyone lives happily ever after. Two contemporary scenes which struck me as insightful occurred when Moss was shot and when Anton was involved in a car crash. Both situations revealed more emphasis on money than health by one of the parties. The young men on the bridge were more inquisitive than helpful and Anton felt compelled to pay for the kid's shirt when his immediate need was healthcare . The modern priorities are held up to the light for inspection here. Tommie Lee Jones as sherrif skulks into retirement rather than confronting the criminal.Much food for thought in this movie. Those who rate it shamefully low were probably expecting a more commonly seen conclusion where the bad guys are vanquished in some way. Expand
  75. MattM.
    Mar 3, 2008
    This movie was absolutely magnificent. I loved this movie everything about it made it wonderful experience. The plot, the characters, and the dialogue was great. I'm not sure what the other people rating it 1's are talking about they obviously have no taste.
  76. klm
    Mar 7, 2008
    "Apart from using Josh Brolin, who just isn't up to the task, nevermind being repeatedly referred to in this contemporary setting as a Viet Nam vet, which would have put him in combat at around age five" - DWilly. Err DWilly you obviously weren't paying close attention to the funeral scene near the end! The the birth to death date clearly indicated that the year was 1980 NOT "Apart from using Josh Brolin, who just isn't up to the task, nevermind being repeatedly referred to in this contemporary setting as a Viet Nam vet, which would have put him in combat at around age five" - DWilly. Err DWilly you obviously weren't paying close attention to the funeral scene near the end! The the birth to death date clearly indicated that the year was 1980 NOT 2007/8 as you seem to have surmised! Expand
  77. Chrystal
    Mar 8, 2008
    Amazing movie!! Going in, I though it would be kind of boring and that maybe it was also overrated. I was definitely wrong. This movie is going on my top ten greatest movies of all time!! You have to see it!!
  78. OdhranH.
    Apr 20, 2008
    seems to me every criticism of this wonderful film stems from the fact that it does not follow generic convention and structure- so what? do you people really find it so insulting to be challenged a bit by filmmakers, or have we all got so boring and safe that we just want visceral thrills, we just want what we expect? we don't like being invited to think for ourselves? also all the seems to me every criticism of this wonderful film stems from the fact that it does not follow generic convention and structure- so what? do you people really find it so insulting to be challenged a bit by filmmakers, or have we all got so boring and safe that we just want visceral thrills, we just want what we expect? we don't like being invited to think for ourselves? also all the Coens really did with the structure was stay faithful to the novel, so I don't get the criticism of them as being arrogant or trying to be clever- to all who say that- go and read the book. Expand
  79. DarrenP.
    Apr 22, 2008
    very very good film, best l've seen in months.on par with Shawshank Redemption.a film were you don't want to get out of your seat.
  80. Aj
    Apr 25, 2008
    Very intense thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. BIG LEBOWSKI baby.
  81. ShortyGT500
    Apr 3, 2008
    Never heard of Javier Bardem, but truly impressed...
  82. NikkoC.
    May 23, 2008
    Slow? Confusing? Oh my.... When people rave that a film is great like, say, Schindler's List (and it is, it's a five star film, don't get me wrong), it always gets straight 9s and 10s.... No one gets thrown by it and it is well-acted and moving and y-a-w-n..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. But the real greats, the true greats, do not pander to everyone (euphemism). Great art never Slow? Confusing? Oh my.... When people rave that a film is great like, say, Schindler's List (and it is, it's a five star film, don't get me wrong), it always gets straight 9s and 10s.... No one gets thrown by it and it is well-acted and moving and y-a-w-n..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. But the real greats, the true greats, do not pander to everyone (euphemism). Great art never does. And then it consequently takes the risks that occasionally, as is so true here, make it better. Firstly, NCFOM has one of the all-time greatest bad guys in cinematic history. Complex in his simplicity, driven and scary as hell. In a metaphorical sense he has to represent a force and evil that cannot be quantified or understood and it only works because he gives the single-most scariest and most intoxicating performance I have ever seen along with Hopkins in SOTL. Like the Reaper himself, there is a lure and dread that accompany him and it is an achievement in selfless acting and craft that cannot be cheapened by words. It simply must be watched to be believed. God Bless you Javier. Secondly, it is not an oxygen tank per se, and it pains me that people do not watch movies more attentively. The devil is in the detail, as they say. The remark at the beginning is a MacGuffin, yet, instead of going on in that vein to rival Hitchcock's best films scenes and moments, this film outdoes them. Tommy says explicitly what it is, but, it's worth repeat viewings and I can't wait to see it again anyway, so, no biggie..... thirdly, the ending is so good, so perfect, that I am happy to admit that I wept for its brilliance. I said out loud, 'please end' and it cut to black and the credits began and I just dropped my head and in that moment I have to say, it was like a strong narcotic, that moment of knowing I had watched a perfect film. It was perfect folks. Perhaps better than perfect and, as Ron Burgundy would say, "That makes no sense." But then, it plays against a backlog of accepted movie 'traditions' that were always formulaic and trite, and instead the Coens, like the book (I imagine) make the brave choices true to the story, or most importantly, the ALLEGORY. See, people who are confused, or who don't spot the allegory and its bleak and moral undertones, will be 'gunning' for the hero, the old cop come good, the blah blah blah... they will be disappointed for reasons I will not go into and, well, sorry, but it's all bollocks. Grow up. It's a world of grey, not black and white. Santa's not real. Get over it. What you wanted is far less than what you got, but you can't see the wood for the trees. Please, open your eyes. It always was bollocks. The Coens knew this and they rise above over a hundred years of film-making tripe to deliver, regardless of some people's and even critics' (as indicated from the 30 - yes, 30 - above...what an idiot) inability to recognize it due to it placing an IQ-pre-requisite on the audience, the greatest and most perfectly shot and intensely-realized motion picture since the likes of Citizen Kane and The Godfather. Fargo!? Blood Simple (which I saw two weeks ago)!? You MUST be joking. Only someone who is afraid to enter the ghost world (if you will), the darkness itself and delve DEEP, as this film does, could say that those films come close to this film. This is indisputably the Coen brothers finest work and I say that as someone who LOVES them. Miller's Crossing is one of my all-time favs. But it can't match NCFOM.... Not remotely. It makes me want to reassess every perfect mark I have ever given! **SPOILERS** The Hotel Scene, the tracking device, the dog, the coin toss, the thematic and allegorical perfection...... as a film buff I recall somewhere along the way I had to pause the dvd, have a sip of tea and permit myself the audible admission that I was close to shitting myself for the amount of tension... and that I was in the midst of some bizarre cinematic orgasm (emotional/spiritual) as a result - and I say that as someone who has yawned through a thousand horror films. In fact if you are a horror fan, it is worth mentioning that this is also the best horror film I have seen in sometime. For you see, it is so thrilling and tense, it is horrific. And I loved it! Oh and the sound.... oh the sound is SOOOOOOO good. Watch this thing on 5.1, seriously. When it ended I simply was unable to move, but then, I got it. And bravo Coens, bravo.... Don't stress that some are like, "Oh, but ___," this and that.... you compromised nothing and you made my favourite film of all time. Thank you. I mean shit guys, this is easily the best film of this millenium even from an objective point of view..... Easily. Am I being a little elitist in saying this when some people clearly don't seem to 'like' (get) it? Um, I don't care. That's not how you go beyond the expected and create masterpieces. So the answer is, yes, the people who don't like it ARE wrong. Sorry, but it's that simple. They might not like NCFOM, that's fine, but it IS a great movie nonetheless. It just went over your head. You may lack a bit of dimension and/or be naive.... Don't sweat it. Even now, two days after seeing NCFOM, and just the one time, I ache. The best film I have seen this millenium. But by no means for everyone. Oh HELL NO.... if you'll excuse the pun..... And shoot me with a cattle-gun for saying it, but thank God for that. 11/10 Expand
  83. AnonNy'Mous
    May 3, 2008
    Great film, in spite of what the others say. Maybe the way it breaks away from the norm after the first helps aid the point? Anyway how can a film with a villain such as that be unentertaining?
  84. DylanM
    May 3, 2008
    I thought it was a great movie. Mainly due to its intelligence, if that makes sense. Its great action and story, but it could be real. Its not a movie that has dazzling special effects but really something that could have happened. Now the ending left me puzzled at first then i realized that that's just how it is in real life. Sometimes nobody wins, villains get away, and innocent I thought it was a great movie. Mainly due to its intelligence, if that makes sense. Its great action and story, but it could be real. Its not a movie that has dazzling special effects but really something that could have happened. Now the ending left me puzzled at first then i realized that that's just how it is in real life. Sometimes nobody wins, villains get away, and innocent people die. Not every movie can have a happy ending. Not every movie should. Its basically a commentary on how we as a society are today. We kill for pleasure (drugs) and those who stick to their morals often die or go crazy (pro and antagonist) Really makes you step back and look at your life and the people that surround you. Expand
  85. AdamC
    Jul 27, 2008
    Wow, great movie. I can't believe so many people voted it low. To all of those who did: not everything is spoon fed to you, I realize it is kind of difficult, but use your mind. Although the background on Bell could have been better, coming from someone who hadn't read the book, just thinking about what happened in the movie, and the point the movie gets across is pretty Wow, great movie. I can't believe so many people voted it low. To all of those who did: not everything is spoon fed to you, I realize it is kind of difficult, but use your mind. Although the background on Bell could have been better, coming from someone who hadn't read the book, just thinking about what happened in the movie, and the point the movie gets across is pretty amazing. I know it won't fit everyone's viewing style, but seeing it knowing that the outcome isn't just good over evil, will make the movie so much better to you. Overall, excellent movie. Very well done. Expand
  86. Kenny
    Jul 8, 2008
    Superb film, almost flawless.
  87. DanP
    Feb 2, 2009
    Awesome.
  88. KM
    Mar 19, 2009
    I can watch this movie a thousand times and still not get the significance of it, but I still liked it.
  89. LeviH
    May 21, 2009
    Action films are, by definition, hot medium. The design is for the audience to be given all the information they desire and to be taken on a pretty ride. No Country For Old Men defies this by answering nothing. Who is Chigurh? What kind of man is he? Is he even a man at all? The Coen Brother's seem to have a distinct interpretation of the character, yet in keeping with their style Action films are, by definition, hot medium. The design is for the audience to be given all the information they desire and to be taken on a pretty ride. No Country For Old Men defies this by answering nothing. Who is Chigurh? What kind of man is he? Is he even a man at all? The Coen Brother's seem to have a distinct interpretation of the character, yet in keeping with their style they aren't exactly going to spell it out for the audience. This film, for days afterward, will make you think. This film, during it's screen time, will engross you in top notch cinematography, acting, editing, writing, and directing. Coming from a novel I considered largely unfilmable, the Coen's have created something special and unique, as only they could. Expand
  90. RommelA
    May 9, 2009
    The movie provides great thrills and awesome acting. The actors know how to play their parts and they play them really well. I really recommend this game anyone!
  91. saran
    Jul 17, 2009
    No country for old men is arguably one of the finest ever thriller movies made in hollywood.James Bardem is simply awesome with a stunning performance.
  92. MikeR.
    Aug 2, 2009
    This movie will go down as one of the top films ever. Its sad that so many people cant shut there rambling gum chewing, instant judgment, minds off and just be zen with the movie. If they did they would be amazed by the atmosphere and pathos. I loved the ending. Poetic and true to his character.God how people just piss at genius like they know what these artist.
  93. DanP
    Sep 5, 2009
    Awesome.
  94. SteveH
    Nov 11, 2007
    My biggest problem with this movie, is that it is not at the Fargo level. The critics are over hyping this movie. The acting is great but I got tired of Kelly Maconald's character, Your southern, naive and not too smart, ok, I get it. Where Fargo tied up most of the loose ends, this movie leaves you wondering.
  95. JonathanF.
    Nov 11, 2007
    great, really great. tense. the ending kind of caught me off guard so i missed what was said.. it kind of had a bit of a lag before the great conclusion. other than that it was great.
  96. DMil
    Nov 11, 2007
    The film making here is flawless. The performances, spot on! The locations were textured and retrospectively American. The film had a subversively liberal subtext which is a little cliche'. 2 problems for me were in it's general relevance and the (sorry) contrived story. By the end, I knew where it was headed and couldn't wait for it to be there. It will grow on me. Not the The film making here is flawless. The performances, spot on! The locations were textured and retrospectively American. The film had a subversively liberal subtext which is a little cliche'. 2 problems for me were in it's general relevance and the (sorry) contrived story. By the end, I knew where it was headed and couldn't wait for it to be there. It will grow on me. Not the subtext, but its wonderful ability to create tension through memorable images and twisted air blasts. Expand
  97. JackF.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Wow! Mesmerizing! Brilliant from the opening scene to the poignant and bleak conclusion. Unfortunately, a certain core of movie fans will stay home. This is a very violent film! There will be others that will leave the theater disappointed or bewildered with the conclusion. The Coen's were faithful to the Cormac McCarthy book. Any other ending ruins the basic premise: it's Wow! Mesmerizing! Brilliant from the opening scene to the poignant and bleak conclusion. Unfortunately, a certain core of movie fans will stay home. This is a very violent film! There will be others that will leave the theater disappointed or bewildered with the conclusion. The Coen's were faithful to the Cormac McCarthy book. Any other ending ruins the basic premise: it's about the way life was and the way life is. If I hadn't read the book I may feel like many of you. Expand
  98. NathanT.
    Nov 12, 2007
    A masterpiece that is every bit on the same level as the Coen Brother's "Fargo." It's a thrilling moral and ethical lesson disguised as a chase movie. Javier Berdam is mesmerizing as the villain, while Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin are riveting as the good guy and the harder to define character, respectively. This is one of the few perfect movies I've ever seen and it A masterpiece that is every bit on the same level as the Coen Brother's "Fargo." It's a thrilling moral and ethical lesson disguised as a chase movie. Javier Berdam is mesmerizing as the villain, while Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin are riveting as the good guy and the harder to define character, respectively. This is one of the few perfect movies I've ever seen and it already stands as one of the great theater-going experiences of my life. Expand
  99. JesseL
    Nov 12, 2007
    DWilly, the movie doesn't take place now, it takes place a little over twenty years ago. Pay closer attention. Awesome movie. Brilliant. People who say that the ending is unsatisfactory may have missed the point. It isn't about Moss, the money, or any of the other characters. It is about Tommy Lee Jones losing his faith in humanity and his belief in their being a point. Hence DWilly, the movie doesn't take place now, it takes place a little over twenty years ago. Pay closer attention. Awesome movie. Brilliant. People who say that the ending is unsatisfactory may have missed the point. It isn't about Moss, the money, or any of the other characters. It is about Tommy Lee Jones losing his faith in humanity and his belief in their being a point. Hence the name and the ending. Expand
  100. MarcusF.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Great movie, loved it, wonderful plot and well done story.

1. It’s a near masterpiece.
    Joel and Ethan Coen's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's 2005 novel is an indisputably great movie, at this point the year's very best.
    It's the most ambitious and impressive Coen film in at least a decade, featuring the flat, sun-blasted landscapes of west Texas -- spectacularly shot by cinematographer Roger Deakins -- and an eerily memorable performance by Javier Bardem, in a Ringo Starr haircut.