7.6

1. May 13, 2015
    even though there is no OST in the film the Coen brother's nightmarish masterpiece of the hellish underworld in the country seems so vividly real you can't run away from your seats even if you want to.
    marking 2007 a great year for darker movies
  2. May 2, 2015
    No Country for Old Men is one of the best movies that I have ever seen. It manages to portray complex emotional themes while maintaining one of the most entertaining story-lines of any neo-Western (or any movie, for that matter) to date. This is the Coen Brothers at the top of their craft.
  3. Jan 23, 2015
    This film is brilliant mainly because of the incredible character of Anton - the scariest maniac you could possibly meet. The acting is superb - this is one of those films that will leave you thinking in a daze. It will also give you nightmares about cattle spikes.
    10/10 - Ben Hazelden
  4. Jan 21, 2015
    Bold, gothic, commanding and visceral. No Country for Old Men is as brilliant a movie you'll see from the past decade. The visual beauty and lack of score pulls us into a tense, anxious and deeply disturbed atmosphere, dragging us through sunny landscapes so bleak that just by watching the film, you'll put your soul at hazard. Tommy Lee Jones opens the film with a monologue where he talksBold, gothic, commanding and visceral. No Country for Old Men is as brilliant a movie you'll see from the past decade. The visual beauty and lack of score pulls us into a tense, anxious and deeply disturbed atmosphere, dragging us through sunny landscapes so bleak that just by watching the film, you'll put your soul at hazard. Tommy Lee Jones opens the film with a monologue where he talks about how criminals have changed (or dare I say evolved) to a point where he no longer understands them. The film draws attention to this idea through the character Anton Chigurh. He's a criminal who'll outrightly kill anyone who brings him inconvenience. But Chigurh's a much more complex character. Although it's never quite revealed why he wants the satchel of money, one can reasonably argue that he wants it because it would aid his survival (same can be said for Josh Brolin's Lewellyn). But what makes Chigurh different is that he believes following the rules and morals set by society don't really help you survive. Rather they're shackles. Chigurh's morals are decided by the toss of a coin. He'll kill an innocent person who's brought him no inconvenience only if the coin permits. In other words, Chigurh believes in a random and chaotic world and for the most part it seems as though he's the person who decides others' destiny through chance. But the Coens make it clear that Chigurh is no divine/ supernatural figure. He too is subject to random events (as witnessed when he crashes his car). But how do you categorise a person like that? A person who is so dispassionate and mechanical but still believes in an ideology (or a lack of ideology). He's not a nihilist. Tommy Lee Jones' Sheriff doesn't get it. He doesn't want to chase a killer he doesn't understand. He doesn't want to be some hero, he just wants to retire before something hazardous happens to him. The genius of No Country for Old Men lies in the way it escapes banality and tightens its grip as it progresses. By the time its over, you'll be all out breath feeling as though you've just spiralled into the seventh circle of hell. It pulls you out not by heroism but by capitulation.
    At the beginning, Tommy Lee Jones is askes himself - how do I make sense of a crazy, violent and unstable world that has lost all its bearings? Ultimately the film's bleak and melancholy answer is - You can't.
  5. Nov 9, 2014
    At the risk of sounding unprofessional, (and I guess I'm not since no one pays me for this), this movie is awesome. It's tense, eerie, violent, bloody, action packed.... I could go on forever. This is probably my favorite Cohen brothers movie. They direct it with such obsessive detail in every little action that it's impossible not to be impressed with their work here. I like a lot ofAt the risk of sounding unprofessional, (and I guess I'm not since no one pays me for this), this movie is awesome. It's tense, eerie, violent, bloody, action packed.... I could go on forever. This is probably my favorite Cohen brothers movie. They direct it with such obsessive detail in every little action that it's impossible not to be impressed with their work here. I like a lot of their movies, but none of them can match this one's sublime mix of violence, story, and character. Anton Chigur has to be one of the top five screen villains of all time. He really does come close to Hannibal Lecter status, and how often can you say that? The only real flaw here is an unsatisfying ending, but I've seen plenty of movies that have ended a lot worse. Probably one of the best Best Picture winners ever, and perhaps my favorite crime thriller. Expand
  6. Sep 20, 2014
    Javier Bardem is terrifying, the plot is thrilling, the directing is engaging and the themese are thought provoking. I can't ask for more from a movie.
  7. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    No Country for Old Men was an amazing adaptation of the book by Cormac McCarthy. (I've actually read the book. That's why I can say that) The story was great, and the actors were extraordinary (mainly Javier Bardem).
  8. Apr 29, 2014
    Sinister, brutal and in possession of an abundance of lines to read between, 'No Country for Old Men' is a modern day masterpiece from the boots of it's cinematography right up to the Stetson of typically multi dimensional, Coen characterisation. I will no longer feel safe behind a locked door having witnessed the now, iconic realisation of Anton Chigurh.
  9. Apr 22, 2014
    I love this movie, with a cat-and-mouse theme, and some violance concept of Anton Chigurh. Some movies can't be better with the effect of the surprise elements, but this, this is some awesome 5H1+ to watched!
  10. Mar 28, 2014
    The movies was awesome with, Anton Chigurh (Bardem) and his awesome coin-tosser and, BANGG!!! I'm still wonder if other film/movies can be like this. I'm honestly wasn't expected to see the novels could be brought to the big screen.
  11. Feb 9, 2014
    Absolutely outstanding! The acting is spot on in all parts. It's magnificently written and manages to shock you and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. At the same time the writing manages to show many different walks of life in a heavily realistic fashion. The writing also amazing show cases the character progression of the villain, played by Javier Bardem and hisAbsolutely outstanding! The acting is spot on in all parts. It's magnificently written and manages to shock you and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. At the same time the writing manages to show many different walks of life in a heavily realistic fashion. The writing also amazing show cases the character progression of the villain, played by Javier Bardem and his performance solidifies his character as possibly one of the most memorable movie characters of all time. This film is a must watch plain and simple. Expand
  12. Jan 25, 2014
    In this film we get to see the Coen brothers' version of a true psychopath. We follow two story lines until they converge and become one. Chigurh (Javier Bardem) is a lunatic who has no conscience whatsoever. Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) is the man who we root for, even though he is far from being a saint. But the fact that he doesn't kill people over nothing certainly gives him an edgeIn this film we get to see the Coen brothers' version of a true psychopath. We follow two story lines until they converge and become one. Chigurh (Javier Bardem) is a lunatic who has no conscience whatsoever. Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) is the man who we root for, even though he is far from being a saint. But the fact that he doesn't kill people over nothing certainly gives him an edge over his opponents in gaining our sympathy.

Moss finds a ridiculous amount of money in the desert and decides to keep it. Two sets of sides then follow him around the country as he outwits them at every step. Chigurh is called in and joins the chase, but he has his own agenda, which is to say none that can be understood by a sane man. Needless to say, we get to see a whole lot of shootouts and deaths and close calls.

Chigurh was the most enduring character from the bunch. He has two weapons he puts to deadly use at every occasion. A psychopath in every sense of the word, he looks for quarrels in nothing that would suggest to offend a normal person.

Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) is an aging sheriff. He quips and jokes with a poker face. I thoroughly enjoyed his peculiar sense of humour. Always trying to do the right thing, he feels that he isn't upto the task of apprehending these criminals who have suddenly decided to make the territory under his jurisdiction their battlefield. The title of the movie is probably about him.

There were more than a few memorable scenes of violence and gore. The art direction depicted the time splendidly with the costume and cars and cafes. The cinematography captured the beautiful bleak landscape of the southern wilderness with finesse. The open plains and deserts certainly felt like a character unto itself.

The first hour and a half nailed the action, suspense and dialogue with a craftsman's precision, and had not one scene that threatened to slow the pace. Despite the entertaining pace, every one of the main characters was well developed and distinct. The gunfights seemed realistic. People actually got injured and had no ability to dodge the bullets. There were a few scenes with conversations reflecting upon the changing times in terms of the violence being perpetrated. Some of the older audience may have felt nostalgic for a bit around this time. The film had the quality that takes the viewers imperceptibly from scene to scene.

I've always wondered how action sequences would feel like without supporting score to pump our adrenaline, and relying solely on content. They felt raw and genuine. Coen brothers showed us how they should be done. But if I made a film, I would have some music in the scenes about reflection and resolution.

Unlike the other great films in the genre of crime/thriller, this one chose to show what was happening only during the present. There was literally no transtion of time. In that it was like Raiders of the Lost Ark. But that movie had an extended cop-out ending.

The minute the main story ends abruptly, we move into a five minute interlude which felt forced and left me restless. There were no visible stakes and instead there were some conversations that were kind of conclusory remarks about what had taken place before. Everything before this had me absorbed in the narrative and that scene had nothing to do with anything that we were already shown. As the pacing was breakneck before this, some of the audience may have felt it to be more dragging even when the film returns to the main story. The extraction of a message or theme should be left entirely to the audience. I would have respected the Coens a lot more if they had the sense to know what should be left out. But since that scene wasn't long, I won't be harsh. But this blunder in editing took away from the strengths of the movie and thus the film failed to leave a lasting impression. The last scene was retainable but forgettable.
  13. Jan 16, 2014
    A blunt, almost blatant tale of why you should never run from those chasing you. A gritty and oddly pragmatic tale that slowly drifts (which many consider the film's taciturn banality) into an aberration of the era and the situation. Acted out beautifully, mostly by the man of many roles, and hairstyles, Javier Bardem. With the amount of graphic violence that is ultimately timed right, theA blunt, almost blatant tale of why you should never run from those chasing you. A gritty and oddly pragmatic tale that slowly drifts (which many consider the film's taciturn banality) into an aberration of the era and the situation. Acted out beautifully, mostly by the man of many roles, and hairstyles, Javier Bardem. With the amount of graphic violence that is ultimately timed right, the Coen brothers have once made a film that, for me personally, cannot be banal or dreary in the slightest, but the absolute opposite. Expand
  14. Jan 16, 2014
    No Country For Old Men is exhilaratingly brilliant, with raw and to-the-point dialogue that makes the transitions of scenes smooth. The cinematography is excellent, and the plot is exciting. Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones, and and Javier Bodem are excellent in this film, and captivate you with their performances.
  15. Jan 5, 2014
    No Country For Old Men is Coen Brothers' brilliant film adaptation of Cormac MacCarthy novel of the same name. It focuses on the three stories of Sheriff Ed Bell, played by Tommy Lee Jones, Anton Chigurh a psychopathic murderer, played by Javier Bardem, and Llewelyn Moss, a welder who had stumbled upon 2 million dollars worth of drug money, played by Josh Brolin.

The backbone of the

The backbone of the plot itself has been used before but the slow pacing of the film allows the viewer to submerge themselves in the struggle of Jones and Brolin as they are hunted by and pursue Bardem's character. Bardem fabulously portrays Chigurh as an almost unpredictable yet rational killer intent on collecting the 2 million dollars collected by Brolin and killing anyone in his way. In one of his last scenes the viewer is allowed however to see a small amount of uncertain reasoning in how he kills.

The pacing, as well as excellent camerawork and sets creates a wonderful atmosphere in which the viewer can allow themselves to comfortably be submerged into while they enjoy this cinematic masterpiece.

In the end, this film can be enjoyed by all as long as they are patient enough to let a story be told.
  16. Dec 9, 2013
    A flawless intense thriller that puts you on the edge of your seat throughout the whole darn film! The cinematography in this film is simply fantastic... the coens out did them self and in my opinion it is right up there w fargo maybe even better
  17. Nov 25, 2013
    The America was marked by bloodshed, was sometimes accurate and sometimes totally useless form, were always involved power and money somehow, the book by Cormac M. portrays it interesting and visceral way, the same can be said of the Cohen brothers movie that captures the competitive spirit of Americans and brutal when it puts money in the game, but the most interesting are theThe America was marked by bloodshed, was sometimes accurate and sometimes totally useless form, were always involved power and money somehow, the book by Cormac M. portrays it interesting and visceral way, the same can be said of the Cohen brothers movie that captures the competitive spirit of Americans and brutal when it puts money in the game, but the most interesting are the performances of Javier B. and Tommy L. Jones that capture impressively (especially Bardem) the state of its characters, which explains all the euphoria that critics have with this film. Expand
  18. Oct 19, 2013
    One of my favorite movies. Excellent casting may have been the biggest pluses for it. Some are dissatisfied with the final 20 minutes or so of the movie, but it worked for me after giving it time to settle for lack of a better phrase.
  19. Oct 4, 2013
    I think this movie is one of the best movies I have ever seen. directors of this movie are my favorite directors.this movie has directed, written and acted very well.
  20. Aug 28, 2013
    A masterpiece. The quality of the acting, as well as the outstanding directing by the Coen brothers, propel the film from initially being a mere adaptation of a successful novel to becoming an absolute classic, that garnered the approval of most viewers and was met with universal critical acclaim. Besides, the well-deserved Oscar win properly rewards the brilliant overall directing careerA masterpiece. The quality of the acting, as well as the outstanding directing by the Coen brothers, propel the film from initially being a mere adaptation of a successful novel to becoming an absolute classic, that garnered the approval of most viewers and was met with universal critical acclaim. Besides, the well-deserved Oscar win properly rewards the brilliant overall directing career of the Coens. Eventually, one cannot watch the movie without being fascinated by the stately performance of Javier Bardem, who perfectly embodies a ruthless lunatic bounty hunter, to such an extent that every viewer will ultimately reminisce the disqueting character of Anton Chigurh. Expand
  21. Aug 17, 2013
    In my mind, the greatest movie of all time (Better than Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, all of them). NCFOM explores humans in a way that no other film can. It shows us why people do what they do. It addresses how fate, and how things out of our control, can affect our lives. It comes the closest that any movie has come to showing us the true meaning of life. There is no definiteIn my mind, the greatest movie of all time (Better than Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, all of them). NCFOM explores humans in a way that no other film can. It shows us why people do what they do. It addresses how fate, and how things out of our control, can affect our lives. It comes the closest that any movie has come to showing us the true meaning of life. There is no definite meaning of life: We are all here, doing things, talking to people, participating in activities; we are all simply living. And this film comes the closest to showing us why. As a film itself, it has terrific acting, especially from Javier Bardem, a terrific script, and dark, suspenseful tone that keeps you on edge the entire time. As a piece of art, it is inferior to none. The greatest movie ever made, in my opinion. Expand
  22. Aug 12, 2013
    It' s a very nice but also difficult film.
    I watched it twice and I don't still understand everything.
    The figure of Anton Chigurh is surely the most impressive. The crazy/foolish killer Chigurgh is in my opinion, the real protagonist of the film.

Everythig so rude and foolish, but PERFECT
  23. Jul 2, 2013
    Los hermanos Coen lograron conseguir esta película fantásticamente hecha...............................................................................
  24. May 28, 2013
    Favorite movie of all time. Coen brothers are spot-on with suspenseful pacing, beautiful cinematography, and a simple story that gets its point across.
  25. Apr 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite an abrupt ending, this movie is a fantastic masterpiece from the Coen Brothers. Beautifully shot, superb acting (particularly from Javier Bardem in an Academy Award winning role), and a fast, suspenseful pace, this is story telling at its best. Expand
  26. Mar 10, 2013
    When it comes to great moving films that hook you up from the beginning to end, The Coen Brothers have it all. No Country For Old Men is so good you will clap at the climax, you will remember this movie for the rest of your life.
  27. Mar 10, 2013
    The Coen brothers provide one of the most strongest films ever. It provides awesome performances and extremely thrilling murderous suspense that makes the film suceed on all levels. Its by far the best direction that the Coen brothers have ever done in their spectacular career.
  28. Mar 5, 2013
    Uma das melhores cenas de perseguição da história do cinema moderno, javier bardem está simplesmente assustador e sensacional. Brilhante história e atuações, filme para se ter em casa.
  29. Jan 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have a problem with almost all of the reviews on the site from critics to users. This movie is a philosophical exercise and like most philosophy needs to be critically evaluated multiple times before an adequate understanding can be achieved. The movie is about the conflict between natural uncertainty and the human desire for certainty. The villain (Bardem) uses his knowledge of these facts to his advantage throughout the movie, i.e. flipping coins to determine outcomes with the intention of making his actions seem random, and at a meta level ends up falling into the the human fallacy of certainty. Once the viewer realizes this it is obvious the Cohen brothers tailor the final 30 minutes of the movie to reinforce the fact that no one has full control. The conversation with Moss's wife illustrates his situation perfectly. He does not need to kill her. He feels compelled by his method to carry out the process to his predetermined end. She refuses to play into his false belief that he is the master of this anarchy and points out the fact that he is there by his own choice. After the house he gets injured in a car accident reinforcing his lack of control. This ties in perfectly with the final scenes with Jones from the conversation with the old deputy to the final scene with his wife. In his dream he feels comfortable on his own because he knows his father will be there when needed. Then he woke up. Watch the movie a few more times and you will realize a multitude of interactions and conversations that are there to enrich this message. I love movies like this because the replay value is endless. Expand
  30. Jan 20, 2013
    "No Country for Old Men" is so well crafted in the way of a dark crime film, and the actors deserve plenty of merit on their parts, especially from the antagonist played by Javier Bardem.
  31. Jan 17, 2013
    One of the best movie ever made. Very nice story with some of the best actors. Amazing movie!
  32. Jan 8, 2013
    Powerful, stunning, horrific, it must be another Coen movie!
    The Coen brothers pull the concept of this film off so well that it was more intense to see Tommy Lee Jones anxiety when approaching a crime scene than actually seeing any of said occurrence actually happen.

Another notable scene within the film is when Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem)walks into a gas station and responds to the shop
  33. Jan 5, 2013
    This is actually one of the best book adaptions ever. It's almost impossible to tell a story accurately with such little dialogues and without a narrator voice, but the Coen brothers accomplished it fantastically. A perfect cast till minor roles and Javier Bardem makes one of the best film villains of all time! The style of the film is absolutely unique and the mixture of western, thrillerThis is actually one of the best book adaptions ever. It's almost impossible to tell a story accurately with such little dialogues and without a narrator voice, but the Coen brothers accomplished it fantastically. A perfect cast till minor roles and Javier Bardem makes one of the best film villains of all time! The style of the film is absolutely unique and the mixture of western, thriller and satire is excellent. The ending is realistic and leaves a couple of questions open, which makes you think a lot about the film afterwards. Everything seems sophisticated, even how scenes succeed on one another and that's what is so fantastic about this movie. Everything that happens in No Country For Old Men keeps your eyes peeled on the TV screen, even if it's just normal dialogue. I.e. the showdown between Chigurh and Moss, which is one of the most thrilling scenes I've seen lately or the Chigurh's conversation with the gas station proprietor which is absolutely awesome. The screenplay, the direction and Javier Bardem totally deserved the Oscar. There were better movies in 2006 but this flick is a very favorable tale about bad people that is both confusing and stunning. Expand
  34. Dec 21, 2012
    The complexity appears in simple tension, but is crafted so well and delivered so uniquely that the result is unusually amazing. In major plot points, this film is completely unpredictable, and its final statement pins on the title.
  35. Nov 11, 2012
    The beauty of this movie is the simplicity. One guy has the suitcase full of money, other guy wants the suitcase full of money and so begins a chase interwoven with a hurricane of tension. Just watching the creativity with which these two characters try to best one another is enthralling in itself. The entire movie is slow, quiet and irresistible. Great acting and brilliant directing.The beauty of this movie is the simplicity. One guy has the suitcase full of money, other guy wants the suitcase full of money and so begins a chase interwoven with a hurricane of tension. Just watching the creativity with which these two characters try to best one another is enthralling in itself. The entire movie is slow, quiet and irresistible. Great acting and brilliant directing. Overall, I would describe No Country for Old Men as a dark and sinister pleasure. Expand
  36. Nov 10, 2012
    Cohen movies have been misunderstood for years..some people find them to boring or to hard to follow (millers crossing). I think they are marvelous and extremely witty, filled with some the most realistic characters you could want in a movie. They also do not end in happy cheery ways or tight hollywood endings that may hint at sequel. This one of my favorites right behind millersCohen movies have been misunderstood for years..some people find them to boring or to hard to follow (millers crossing). I think they are marvelous and extremely witty, filled with some the most realistic characters you could want in a movie. They also do not end in happy cheery ways or tight hollywood endings that may hint at sequel. This one of my favorites right behind millers crossing..which is i believe one the best movies ever made. Expand
  37. Oct 10, 2012
    The finest work by the Cohen Brothers, No Country for Old Men is brutal, violent, truthful, and one hell of a ride. The acting is beyond superb, the editing and cinematography are some of the best I have ever seen, and Javier Bardem is the new Hannibal Lector as the film's nightmarish villain, Anton Chigurh. For those negative reviews you see (notice only on the user column, mind you),The finest work by the Cohen Brothers, No Country for Old Men is brutal, violent, truthful, and one hell of a ride. The acting is beyond superb, the editing and cinematography are some of the best I have ever seen, and Javier Bardem is the new Hannibal Lector as the film's nightmarish villain, Anton Chigurh. For those negative reviews you see (notice only on the user column, mind you), they are all from people that are looking for something directed by Michael Bay and require no thought process whatsoever. Even if the ending requires some out-of-theatre interpretation, see this movie. It's one that going down with some of the best in film history. Expand
  38. Sep 9, 2012
    If you don't like the ending you didn't understand the plot...
  39. Jun 1, 2012
    No Country for Old Men is the best Coen Brothers movie since Fargo. The highlight of the movie is the amazing cast, particularly Javier Bardem as the ruthless killer Anton Chigurh. His haircut alone will give you nightmares. Then there is the always great Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson, and Kelly McDonald. But this is more than just a showcase of great acting, it is aNo Country for Old Men is the best Coen Brothers movie since Fargo. The highlight of the movie is the amazing cast, particularly Javier Bardem as the ruthless killer Anton Chigurh. His haircut alone will give you nightmares. Then there is the always great Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson, and Kelly McDonald. But this is more than just a showcase of great acting, it is a technical masterpiece with amazing sound effects and film editing that really maximizes intensity and suspense. The story is one that has been told a thousand times before, but it's never been told quite like this. It doesn't follow the typical mold of a get away film. The good guys don't always win, and the bad guy doesn't always find justice. Furthermore, No Country has one of the best film endings of all time, even if others often claim it is anticlimactic or whatever it is they accuse it of being. I won't spoil the ending, but it fits perfectly and it has an allegorical meaning that really ties the whole movie together. Expand
  40. May 25, 2012
    "No Country for Old Men" is a close to perfect film and one of the Coens' best films in a while. They can be darkly funny at times, laugh out loud hilarious other times, and SRS BSNS other times.
  41. Apr 3, 2012
    No country for old men is a thrilling film with an ending that will either disapoint or complete this masterfully made film. I am in the middle on the end but i cannot dismiss it because all the things that came previous in the film.
  42. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, this is a 10 out of 10. It's an amazing masterpiece. Acting is amazing. Everyone gives Oscar worthy performances. There's not that much music but that adds to the intensity, and when there is, it's great. The story is phenomical. Its so intense and you just want to stay around to see what'll happen next. Overall, this is a masterpiece. No country for old men is a great thriller,First off, this is a 10 out of 10. It's an amazing masterpiece. Acting is amazing. Everyone gives Oscar worthy performances. There's not that much music but that adds to the intensity, and when there is, it's great. The story is phenomical. Its so intense and you just want to stay around to see what'll happen next. Overall, this is a masterpiece. No country for old men is a great thriller, great western, and a even better movie. This is highly recommended for anyone wanting to watch a good movie. Expand
  43. Dec 26, 2011
    I will never understand how any guy doesn't love this movie. Unless you're an idiot, of courseI will never understand how any guy doesn't love this movie. Unless you're an idiot, of course __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________- Expand
  44. Sep 24, 2011
    Cormac McCarthy's national bestseller help the coen brothers make their first and finest adaption. No Country For Old Men, the bloodiest hell ride that shows the horror of the notorious psychopath kilter, named Anton Chigurh. This madman soon chases this guy named llewelyn Moss, a Vietnam veteran who finds a truckload of mexican brown dope and a case filled with ten million dollars inCormac McCarthy's national bestseller help the coen brothers make their first and finest adaption. No Country For Old Men, the bloodiest hell ride that shows the horror of the notorious psychopath kilter, named Anton Chigurh. This madman soon chases this guy named llewelyn Moss, a Vietnam veteran who finds a truckload of mexican brown dope and a case filled with ten million dollars in cash, with dead bodies laying around him. So llewellyn tries to keep the ten million so his wife can have all that she needs, then thats when chigurh comes in. The man in back of the situation is Ed Tom Bell, an old sheriff thats new to these kind of crimes (hence the title of movie), with 1980s mexican border problems, much more murders happen.

These three men are never really filmed together throughout the movie, even though its a chase movie, but it shows how the creative mind of the coens put a unique their in there movie, which makes it not very visible to you. I've also heard that it stayed true to the book, and has set a great visual to it as well. The originality of this film definitely makes it a much watch, and its the bloodiest from the coens I've seen yet. Javier Bardem shows his skills in new type of work, being Chigurh. His creepy looks (mostly the haircut) shows that the character is insane, has no sense of humor, and no sense of compassion or regret. His weapons are as unique as him, being some strange air tank that shoots through locks, and this shotgon with a gigantic silencer, which probably makes most of the gore in the movie. Nobody can play a better role as Llewelyn than Josh Brolin. growing up as a country man made this role easy for him, just acting like himself will be perfect acting. Tommy Lee Jones plays sheriff Ed Tom Bell, which Jones also said that the character he was playing was a lot like him as well as Brolin, like some of the parts was just like a natural conversation to him. No Country For Old Men has inspired me in so many levels. A movie this original, could be one of the best. This movie is one of the best of the decade, very close to "There Will Be Blood", and thats one good compliment.
  45. Sep 19, 2011
    The Coen Brothers did it again; "No Country for Old Men" proceeds its way to the oscars as a quiet, deep movie that strikes the core of tension, a true masterpiece.
  46. Aug 13, 2011
    This is easily one of my favorite films of all time. It's acting is superb, the cinematography the best I've ever seen, and deep. For those of you who don't care for the ending, it's never meant to have closure. This film is mysterious and very open to interpretation. I saw this one day and watched it again the next day just to ponder its messages. I highly recommend this, but it's not aThis is easily one of my favorite films of all time. It's acting is superb, the cinematography the best I've ever seen, and deep. For those of you who don't care for the ending, it's never meant to have closure. This film is mysterious and very open to interpretation. I saw this one day and watched it again the next day just to ponder its messages. I highly recommend this, but it's not a "sit-down-and-zone-out" movie. You need to keep a sharp eye. Expand
  47. Jul 18, 2011
    The best movie I have seen in years. The story was compelling and the acting was incredible. The story and plot is not that predictable like other Hollywood movies -- so I was entirely hooked while watching it. Very well done!
  48. Jun 28, 2011
    Having just wasted 2 hours watching No Country for old men I have to say that this was the most disappointing film I have ever watched. I wanted to like it and was intrigued for the first hour or so. The ending however was the biggest disappointment I can describe, far too many loose ends not explained and ultimately unsatisfactory!
  49. Feb 4, 2011
    A truely unique movie. An effective thriller and much more besides. Visually a joy. Perfect casting for the three male leads. Has the stamp of the Coen Bros: gentle humor slipping underneath great drama (and great violence).
  50. Feb 1, 2011
    A great Coen movie. There's been a long time since I saw such an entertaining and at the same time, such a complex movie. Excellent direction work, insuperable interpretations and a superb script make this film a masterpiece; all on this movie is near to be perfect and it keeps you watching until it ends. Highly recommended to anybody. 9.0
  51. Dec 31, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No Country for Old Men is an incredibly taut thrill ride. It starts off with Sheriff Ed Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) discussing to the audience the story about a 14 year old girl who was murdered by her teenage lover because of the fact that he had been in the state of killing someone for an enduring time. This really sets the mood for No Country for Old Men as Sheriff Bell quickly summarizes the evil that lies deep in our hearts, his voice is flat, calm, and delegate. This in turn he is able to grasp and pull in the audience to forebode what terror may lie ahead. Then we're able to witness a gruesome murder in the hands of Anton Chigurh, the antagonist. What's so strong about this whole opening act is that Bell analyzes the very true nature of mankind, and then we're able to witness it as a whole ourselves. This act is brilliant, truly brilliant. Jones delivers his small speech with such clarity and confidence that it all seems too real. The plot is mostly focused on the 3 main characters Sheriff Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones), Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin), and Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem). While hunting antelope in the Texan desert, Moss stumbles upon an unusual scene of a drug deal gone really wrong. There are a few scattered bodies everywhere and a dead dog. After finding at least a dozen kilos of drugs neatly placed in the back of a truck, Moss figures that the money is probably somewhere near. He makes his way from the site and finds a deceased man with a briefcase in his lap; the contents are 2 million dollars. Moss makes off with the money and leaves town. Chigurh, the most evil soul in films since Hannibal Lecter, tries to hunt down Moss at all costs to get the money back that he thinks is his own, Sheriff Bell is hot on the trail of both trying to hunt down Chigurh and trying to find Moss before Chigurh does. It sounds like a typical cat and mouse game but it really isn't. The Coen brothers formula works yet again and they are able to deliver a true one of a kind gem. The three main actors are simply flawless and amazing, Chigurh being the best villain since Hannibal Lecter, as said above. Jones is his normal self taking on a character that is broken and flawed and Brolin is simply dazzling. All three characters are intelligent, each depicting a different personality that exhibits each of their downfall later near the climax of the story. That saying, Chigurh is unbelievably evil, unbelievably obsessed with his prey, unbelievably haunting, and unbelievably funny. Never have I seen a character as creepy as Bardem's Chigurh that I have cringed and laughed at the same time, he is truly perfect. The many different shootouts that occur in the film either between Brolin and Bardem, or other characters alike, are mesmerizing at times. The quiet shots of the alleyway shootout between the two is astounding because the quietness leaves so much suspense that you're literally on the edge of your seat waiting for the next shot to be fired. That famous Coen dialogue is in here as well. There are key moments where it really comes to light, especially the gas station scene with Chigurh and the clerk he tries to play the fate of life with. The interactions between each character is flawless, they all display emotions, react to those emotions, and ultimately deliver a brilliant scene. What I think is the strongest part of the film, though, is about the last half hour. In that timespan we're able to see these 3 characters for who they really are and what their ultimate goal really is, though the predicaments they face make them fail ultimately and none of the trio really find and take what they were going for the entire time, and almost all three make away with something else entirely. What's great about that whole scene is that it leaves you to wonder after viewing how these characters fail. Could they have succeeded? Could they have crossed a fatal path with each other? Who knows, and this is what makes it all worth while and it makes you think long after. After many viewings its easy to spot the discrepancy of the characters and what makes them who they really are and you could easily spot the solutions that they could have accomplished in order to have succeeded in their quests. The ending is debatable of course but what's so achieving about it is that it ends abruptly, so abruptly like a smack to the face. It leaves you to wonder why it does that, why it ends on such a low depressing note that leaves you in darkness, and why it leaves you to decide wholefully. No Country for Old Men is a marvel to films, a simple masterpiece that pushes itself far beyond the other boundaries that other films have tried to accomplish. It's underrated in some aspects of course, mostly because of the ending but all in all it is a truly miraculous film that's simply flawless and simply astounding. It's a twisted story with beautiful moments that delves deep into the dark roots of human nature. Expand
  52. Dec 24, 2010
    Absolutely amazing film. This was probably the first movie that ever actually affected me in a big way. Perfect casting, amazing performance from Javier and a perfect use of pretty much no musical score whatsoever. It's a western, but not the type of western I had expected. So different from any other film I had ever seen before it, I really was blown away by the amazing direction. This isAbsolutely amazing film. This was probably the first movie that ever actually affected me in a big way. Perfect casting, amazing performance from Javier and a perfect use of pretty much no musical score whatsoever. It's a western, but not the type of western I had expected. So different from any other film I had ever seen before it, I really was blown away by the amazing direction. This is the type of movie I love. It isn't really moved along with action and suspense (though it has plenty of both), but by character interaction and dialogue. Potentially the best western of all time. Expand
  53. Dec 22, 2010
    Some reasons why this movie is great... that the haters just seem to utterly miss. a) Superb cinematography focused on a bleak southern landscape that easily reflects the movie's naturalistic theme b) Motifs such as different portrayals of money determining fate c) Pithy dialogue in which the Coens' derive cornpone wisdom out of people who have seen too much (love the scene with the twoSome reasons why this movie is great... that the haters just seem to utterly miss. a) Superb cinematography focused on a bleak southern landscape that easily reflects the movie's naturalistic theme b) Motifs such as different portrayals of money determining fate c) Pithy dialogue in which the Coens' derive cornpone wisdom out of people who have seen too much (love the scene with the two retired lawmen in the desert shack near the end) d) Tommy Lee Jones, all wrinkled and angst-ridden about the state of the world when he should be looking forward to retirement. e) lots more but you can read critics reviews to find out what those reasons are. I'm not prone to giving out 10s unless something deserves it. I've seen this three times and it's as perfect as movies come. Some of the haters here are just downright pretentious while others really are too dumb to get a great piece of film making like this. Expand
  54. Oct 30, 2010
    Draws the viewer in from the get-go and never lets up. Dark, atmospheric, tense and intense its almost **** worthy.

Central protagonist and antagonist are evenly matched, at least for the bulk of the film. Peripheral characters (Tommy Lee Jones, etc.) do a great job.

Before you watch, shake of all predeterminations, and let this movie entertain you fully.
  55. Oct 14, 2010
    No Country For Old Men follows an antelope hunter, a man named Llewlyn Moss, who stumbles on a drug deal gone bad and takes a satchel stuffed full of money (Around two million dollars overall.) and from there on is relentlessly hunted down by Mexican criminals and a ruthless assassin named Anton Chigurh. Now, this might sound almost like a thin story, but it is pulled off perfectly. TheNo Country For Old Men follows an antelope hunter, a man named Llewlyn Moss, who stumbles on a drug deal gone bad and takes a satchel stuffed full of money (Around two million dollars overall.) and from there on is relentlessly hunted down by Mexican criminals and a ruthless assassin named Anton Chigurh. Now, this might sound almost like a thin story, but it is pulled off perfectly. The film takes place just after the Vietnam War in Texas. The movie has some amazing moments- you'll be on the edge of your seat as Anton chases Moss through the empty night streets of a Texan city, firing at the hunter with a silenced shotgun. But the movie isn't all guns and action, though those scenes are pulled off effortlessly. There are many meaningful characters, like Sheriff Bell, who is struggling to piece together the mass murders erupting on his streets. Really, I found my favorite character to be Anton Chigurh, the psychotic, incredibly intelligent character. Javier Bardem is so good at his role, it is simply shocking to see him in action. And the ending isn't a happy-crappy one where Moss becomes the big hero at the end and takes down his assassins; instead it is cold and almost slightly depressing. If you like action movies, a flick with a good story, or, hell, if you like movies in general, this is for you. Expand
  56. Oct 1, 2010
    My favorite movie. A misunderstood masterpiece. As complex as it is simple. As vague as it is clear. I have seen it eight times and it never gets old.
  57. Aug 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My personal pick for best film of the 2000's. The Coen brothers made their finest film here (yes that includes "Fargo") by perfectly adapting McArthy's novel into a Southern lament about fate and circumstance. I love the way the characters grow closer and closer and their stories twist tighter and tighter but never get to see each other. I love the way the Coens lead the audience deeper and deeper into an abyss of nightmares and darkness, forcing us to watch as Llewellyn is slowly but surely found and killed. I love the performances, not giving too much away, but letting its classical philosophies float throughout the air and recur multiple times before the end of the film in its beautiful poetic dialogue that is individualized so perfectly that we could never imagine another character trying to speak their words. I love the ambiguous ending, showing that the film is more about philosophy rather than "who lived, who didn't", and forcing modern audiences to realize that sometimes it's simply better to just not kno. I love this movie. Expand
  58. MikeC
    Jan 19, 2010
    Movies just don't get much better than this. No Country for Old Men is a thrilling tale that will constantly keep you hooked. It will blow you away; absolutely a must see.
  59. NathanielJ
    Dec 7, 2009
    This is a great black alternative western. It has a creepy yet undeniably cool villain, a protagonist that everyone wants to root for, and... Woody Harrelson. The movie shows how people can always die with dignity even if a serial killer with a humongous silenced shotgun is about to kill you. If you were watching this movie with the expectation of it being over hyped, then you screwed This is a great black alternative western. It has a creepy yet undeniably cool villain, a protagonist that everyone wants to root for, and... Woody Harrelson. The movie shows how people can always die with dignity even if a serial killer with a humongous silenced shotgun is about to kill you. If you were watching this movie with the expectation of it being over hyped, then you screwed yourself over. Expand
  60. JacobE.
    Oct 18, 2009
    The best movie of the 2007. However, it was strange to have the main character part almost split in threes for Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, and Javier Bardem.
  61. DanP
    Sep 5, 2009
    Awesome.
  62. ChristosM
    Sep 4, 2009
    There's a fragile allegory lurking behind the scenes of this so called,alternative western and it's that of a human world loosing it's humanity,drifting away from values and ideals,surrendering to the fascinating corruption of money,violence and lust of power.In this pitch-dark universe of vulgarity,killers like Anton Chigurh rule supreme and the few humane existences There's a fragile allegory lurking behind the scenes of this so called,alternative western and it's that of a human world loosing it's humanity,drifting away from values and ideals,surrendering to the fascinating corruption of money,violence and lust of power.In this pitch-dark universe of vulgarity,killers like Anton Chigurh rule supreme and the few humane existences left,like Sheriff Llewelyn Moss,struggle to proove humanity's evil urges are not native and spontaneous,though facts tend to proove them wrong.Hollywood endings have no space in such films! Expand
  63. mohammedi
    Aug 10, 2009
    Film projection on the harsh reality faced by the world.
  64. MikeR.
    Aug 2, 2009
    This movie will go down as one of the top films ever. Its sad that so many people cant shut there rambling gum chewing, instant judgment, minds off and just be zen with the movie. If they did they would be amazed by the atmosphere and pathos. I loved the ending. Poetic and true to his character.God how people just piss at genius like they know what these artist.
  65. saran
    Jul 17, 2009
    No country for old men is arguably one of the finest ever thriller movies made in hollywood.James Bardem is simply awesome with a stunning performance.
  66. LeviH
    May 21, 2009
    Action films are, by definition, hot medium. The design is for the audience to be given all the information they desire and to be taken on a pretty ride. No Country For Old Men defies this by answering nothing. Who is Chigurh? What kind of man is he? Is he even a man at all? The Coen Brother's seem to have a distinct interpretation of the character, yet in keeping with their style Action films are, by definition, hot medium. The design is for the audience to be given all the information they desire and to be taken on a pretty ride. No Country For Old Men defies this by answering nothing. Who is Chigurh? What kind of man is he? Is he even a man at all? The Coen Brother's seem to have a distinct interpretation of the character, yet in keeping with their style they aren't exactly going to spell it out for the audience. This film, for days afterward, will make you think. This film, during it's screen time, will engross you in top notch cinematography, acting, editing, writing, and directing. Coming from a novel I considered largely unfilmable, the Coen's have created something special and unique, as only they could. Expand
  67. RommelA
    May 9, 2009
    The movie provides great thrills and awesome acting. The actors know how to play their parts and they play them really well. I really recommend this game anyone!
  68. KM
    Mar 19, 2009
    I can watch this movie a thousand times and still not get the significance of it, but I still liked it.
  69. JamesV.
    Mar 8, 2009
    Outstanding film. Reminded me of Apocalypse Now in a broader sense that in the heart of many men lies darkness, with a key difference being that in AN we get a glimpse of Col. Kurtz's inner being while in NCFOM Chigurh's character is opaque and impenetrable. Another parallel to AN is that evil infects all of the characters to some degree -- Moss is undone by his own greed for Outstanding film. Reminded me of Apocalypse Now in a broader sense that in the heart of many men lies darkness, with a key difference being that in AN we get a glimpse of Col. Kurtz's inner being while in NCFOM Chigurh's character is opaque and impenetrable. Another parallel to AN is that evil infects all of the characters to some degree -- Moss is undone by his own greed for trying to keep the money instead of turning it in; Chigurh is a psychopath who cannot feel anyone's pain and not even his own; even the good 'ol Sheriff Bell is called out for vanity and retires just when duty calls. Many people complain about ambiguity in the plot, but that is by design; in real life, Good and Evil are rarely so black and white and at times fate and circumstance interfere with justice. The cinematography, the acting and the dialogue are all top drawer. Kept me on the edge of my seat the entire film. Expand
  70. JackS.
    Mar 8, 2009
    Possibly one of the best films ever made. It's rare that a picture is created with so much philosophical depth and intrigue, yet manages to be so unbelievably entertaining. The Coen Brothers continue to impress the film making industry with their bleak, ingeniously constructed tales; No Country for Old Men only boosts their repertoire. As the final shot abruptly cuts to slow credits, Possibly one of the best films ever made. It's rare that a picture is created with so much philosophical depth and intrigue, yet manages to be so unbelievably entertaining. The Coen Brothers continue to impress the film making industry with their bleak, ingeniously constructed tales; No Country for Old Men only boosts their repertoire. As the final shot abruptly cuts to slow credits, I sat, and I thought. Even when I finally left the theater, the movie just wouldn't leave my mind. It's so deep, so interesting, and so tense. It really just makes you think. How many movies do that nowadays? With all the mindless crap out there, it's refreshing to see a film that will make you really stop and wonder. As great as No Country is, one is able to see its brilliance at its pinnacle after the film is over. A true masterpiece, and completely deserving of its Oscars. Expand
  71. RobbieB.
    Feb 2, 2009
    Breathtaking! I loved this movie, almost every single thing about it! I disliked the ending, feeling it was a bit anti-climatic, but not one preformance is bad in this film. Every now-and-then a film comes alog and changes the way we think of everything, this IS that one!
  72. DanP
    Feb 2, 2009
    Awesome.
  73. JohnW.
    Jan 17, 2009
    It was an amazing movie. I had to watch it at least 5 times before I truly understood it, but than again I never read the book. It skews the lines that distinguish the token 'good guy' and 'bad guy,' which is my favorite part of all. And the fact that in the end, the 'protagonist' does, the 'bad guy' lives and the real 'good guy' It was an amazing movie. I had to watch it at least 5 times before I truly understood it, but than again I never read the book. It skews the lines that distinguish the token 'good guy' and 'bad guy,' which is my favorite part of all. And the fact that in the end, the 'protagonist' does, the 'bad guy' lives and the real 'good guy' doesn't have a clue just leaves realizing that this is quite a peice of work. I would have given it a 10, but I feel it was a little bit confusing.. But than againthat may be a good thing, causing me to watch it many times and really dissecting it. Cormack McCarthy is a literary genius. Expand
  74. LawrenceP.
    Jan 6, 2009
    No Country For Old Men was the best picture of 2008 -- without a doubt. Criticized by some for its graphic violence, the movie in fact had a mere few moments of blood and guts. And the violence was more psychological than it was graphic. Having read the book, I was amazed at how close the script stayed to the book. With the exception of Bell's war careerm it was pretty much all No Country For Old Men was the best picture of 2008 -- without a doubt. Criticized by some for its graphic violence, the movie in fact had a mere few moments of blood and guts. And the violence was more psychological than it was graphic. Having read the book, I was amazed at how close the script stayed to the book. With the exception of Bell's war careerm it was pretty much all there. The aspect of the movie that struck me most was that in discussing it with literary people, it was discussed as if it were in fact a book, not a movie. When discussing it with those of a lesser literary bent, it was discussed simply as a drug/crime movie. As for that latter perception, it's not even close. Drugs and money were incidental -- a vehicle on which to place the themes of fate, change, acceptance, time, and place. And while some talk of good and evil in No Country For Old Men, it played no role at all. In fact Anton showed no evil in his character or actions. He lacked good and evil in equal proportions. Of all the charactors in the movie, he was perhaps the most sane in that he had his principles and beliefs and stuck by them. His integrity was intact at the end of the movie. One could go so far as to say Anton show as much compassion in the movie as did Bell. Several times he removed himself from the equation to allow the coin to decide -- it was the best he could do. My point in writing this simple review is to refute much of what I've seen concerning Anton. Much in the same way as I've written to defend Shylock as a victim in The Merchant of Venice. Expand
  75. SteveD.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Great film, most enjoyable movie I've watched all year.
  76. EricC.
    Dec 28, 2008
    I admit to being dissapointed when No Country won Best Picture. There Will Be Blood was easily the better film. But anyway, it's still a classic. The Coen brothers were able to adapt Cormac McCarthy to the big screen with out losing the author's overpowering horror, dread, and beauty. It works as a horror movie, an action movie, and as an artistic statement. Hell, there's a I admit to being dissapointed when No Country won Best Picture. There Will Be Blood was easily the better film. But anyway, it's still a classic. The Coen brothers were able to adapt Cormac McCarthy to the big screen with out losing the author's overpowering horror, dread, and beauty. It works as a horror movie, an action movie, and as an artistic statement. Hell, there's a black comedy in there too if you look for it. But in the end, it's just a well made, well acted film. Nothing pretentious about it. Expand
  77. NC.
    Sep 30, 2008
    Well said Seb H... I really pity the user reviews that declare that 'most people say they like it b/c they don't get it so it must be intelligent and so they pretend it's good'. LOL... Dude, grow up... read a bit. Or shut up and steer clear of art - it's clearly WELL over your head. People who are smart or who have studied and understand the language of film (much Well said Seb H... I really pity the user reviews that declare that 'most people say they like it b/c they don't get it so it must be intelligent and so they pretend it's good'. LOL... Dude, grow up... read a bit. Or shut up and steer clear of art - it's clearly WELL over your head. People who are smart or who have studied and understand the language of film (much like the language and rhythm of life), like myself, enjoy and appreciate the movie BECAUSE we are intelligent enough to get it - and love it (It is my top 2 favourite films of all time with Taxi Driver). There is no pretending going on my sad friend. That is a 'truth' that exists only in your mind (if it qualifies to be labelled as such).. The ending is indisputably one of the greatest endings in film history (I wept... but then, I got it, I listened to what he was saying, and I have lived a life both in personal experience and in worldliness, that allows me to understand precisely what is being said)...... and there is absolutely NO confusion WHATSOEVER with working out a/ what happened to Llewellyn (RIP) who Chigurh does not kill at all b/ what happens to the money (the money is a macguffin you idiots, it is NOT relevant and is taken back half way thru the film... HE HAS IT ALREADY morons (and from Woody NOT Llewellyn). His pursuit is a matter of principal, not of profit) c/ whether llewellyn's wife is or is not toast at the end?.... there is NO ambiguity... None whatsoever. The point is, she dies a hero, with courage, because she utters the most beguiling line of the movie b4 she meets her maker: "There's no coin mister - there's only you." Brilliant. Sums up so much... and is the most courageous line and act in the movie. She never calls the coin. With all the tough talk and bombast flying around, she is the toughest character in the film. No, the real problem is that originality, intelligence, poetry, thematics and the magic of life, the spaces inbetween the space between, have passed you and your lives and minds by..... so, I am afraid it's true, if you don't like this movie because you claim that it is confusiong, has a bad ending, does not make sense or is in need of concluding further..... rather than, say, criticise it for being too cynical, cathartic, scary or violent, which you COULD do..... then you are simply WRONG. This is not a matter of opinion. The average critic is smarter and more intuitive with film than the average user... Fact. That's how they became critics... get it? Hence the average review of this film, as it is so brilliant, being lower with users than with the critics. Can you work that one out chumps? Honestly, you should be embarrassed that you felt so self-consious on a sub-conscious level in not enjoying the film that you had to post a bad review to save your pride. Somewhat hilarious, but deeply embarrassing for each of you....as you ironically, in doing so, demonstrate you missed the movie's narrative, charcterisation and thematics almost entirely. "In need of a sequel"!!?? I truly, honestly pity you. Chigurh wins becasue he is not weighed down with little things like decency, compassion, empathy and so forth.... which is one of the points of the movie. If you want to benefit quickly from other's demise and troubles (get the politic allegory now), you won't get away with it and get to have your cake and eat it too and simultaneously be in the right and covered in glory. You will be pursued... and by an enemy you don't understand or relate to.... and if you stay true to being good, to yourself, if you display fanciful things like 'courage' or 'bombast' (llewellyn is tracked ONLY b/c he returns to the scene with water for someone who has already died - get it?), this enemy will mercilesly send you and everyone you love to hell. And they will not be punished by karma, they will just walk, or in this case limp, off into the sunset. There's a starting point for you... think poetically when you watch this film, not literally... and see what is on screen, not what you expect to be. Good luck. Expand
  78. SebH
    Sep 30, 2008
    It seems that a lot of people really don't get this movie - do American audiences honestly want to turn up to a movie that's all hokey, corny action, catchphrases and OTT melodrama? the whole point of this film is that we don't have a protagonist to root for - can people not understand that it's not a totally classic storyline, or is that too much for you to handle? it It seems that a lot of people really don't get this movie - do American audiences honestly want to turn up to a movie that's all hokey, corny action, catchphrases and OTT melodrama? the whole point of this film is that we don't have a protagonist to root for - can people not understand that it's not a totally classic storyline, or is that too much for you to handle? it all makes sense if you think about it - it might be abstract in parts, such as when the sheriff sees Chigurgh in the motel room (I believe it's his mind's projection of what he believes will be behind the door), but the plot makes perfect sense and has quite a powerful message, the most potent being the fact that Chigurgh is the only one still alive and fighting by the end of the film. I think that the lack of a protagonist makes it easier to look at all the characters as mere human beings - it's total realism as there are some parts where we even see Chigurgh's vulnerability, but also the flaws of Llewellyn. It's an exercise in harsh realism, not idealism, which is a rare thing in modern films. And yes, the plot may be confusing, but a confusing film is usually far more brain-engaging and fascinating than a clear-cut, black-and-white movie that requires no insight (i.e. the crap we usually get from Hollywood these days). It might not appeal to the lowest demographics, as it does require a brain to be appreciated, but it really is a stunning movie that contrasts the gruesome and tense with the prophetic, 'dull' if you like, insightful. Excellent film, still one of my favourites. Expand
  79. AdamC
    Jul 27, 2008
    Wow, great movie. I can't believe so many people voted it low. To all of those who did: not everything is spoon fed to you, I realize it is kind of difficult, but use your mind. Although the background on Bell could have been better, coming from someone who hadn't read the book, just thinking about what happened in the movie, and the point the movie gets across is pretty Wow, great movie. I can't believe so many people voted it low. To all of those who did: not everything is spoon fed to you, I realize it is kind of difficult, but use your mind. Although the background on Bell could have been better, coming from someone who hadn't read the book, just thinking about what happened in the movie, and the point the movie gets across is pretty amazing. I know it won't fit everyone's viewing style, but seeing it knowing that the outcome isn't just good over evil, will make the movie so much better to you. Overall, excellent movie. Very well done. Expand
  80. Kenny
    Jul 8, 2008
    Superb film, almost flawless.
  81. BenT.
    Jun 22, 2008
    After seeing it twice, i think it is brilliantly clever and simplistic.
  82. KevinE.
    Jun 5, 2008
    inspiring, top movie I was glued to the screen wanting the main character to survive and ride off with the $$$.
  83. KathyH.
    May 28, 2008
    A brilliant piece of filmmaking from the Coen Brothers once again. Rivaling "Fargo" in intensity and morality, I found the script. the casting, the direction and the editing almost flawless. This movie compels the viewer to be a part of the film; as you take this dark journey with Javier Bardem's character, you are forced to figure out what he figures out and in doing so, you gain a A brilliant piece of filmmaking from the Coen Brothers once again. Rivaling "Fargo" in intensity and morality, I found the script. the casting, the direction and the editing almost flawless. This movie compels the viewer to be a part of the film; as you take this dark journey with Javier Bardem's character, you are forced to figure out what he figures out and in doing so, you gain a sense of his genius as well as his madness. Did he find Tommy Lee Jones and kill him? Did Tommy Lee Jones go for a ride on his horse and find his nemesis dead? Do their paths ever cross? One thing is for sure: it is up to the viewer to decide the ending. Total thumbs up and it totally deserved the "Best Picture" Oscar. Not many do. Expand
  84. NikkoC.
    May 23, 2008
    Slow? Confusing? Oh my.... When people rave that a film is great like, say, Schindler's List (and it is, it's a five star film, don't get me wrong), it always gets straight 9s and 10s.... No one gets thrown by it and it is well-acted and moving and y-a-w-n..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. But the real greats, the true greats, do not pander to everyone (euphemism). Great art never Slow? Confusing? Oh my.... When people rave that a film is great like, say, Schindler's List (and it is, it's a five star film, don't get me wrong), it always gets straight 9s and 10s.... No one gets thrown by it and it is well-acted and moving and y-a-w-n..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. But the real greats, the true greats, do not pander to everyone (euphemism). Great art never does. And then it consequently takes the risks that occasionally, as is so true here, make it better. Firstly, NCFOM has one of the all-time greatest bad guys in cinematic history. Complex in his simplicity, driven and scary as hell. In a metaphorical sense he has to represent a force and evil that cannot be quantified or understood and it only works because he gives the single-most scariest and most intoxicating performance I have ever seen along with Hopkins in SOTL. Like the Reaper himself, there is a lure and dread that accompany him and it is an achievement in selfless acting and craft that cannot be cheapened by words. It simply must be watched to be believed. God Bless you Javier. Secondly, it is not an oxygen tank per se, and it pains me that people do not watch movies more attentively. The devil is in the detail, as they say. The remark at the beginning is a MacGuffin, yet, instead of going on in that vein to rival Hitchcock's best films scenes and moments, this film outdoes them. Tommy says explicitly what it is, but, it's worth repeat viewings and I can't wait to see it again anyway, so, no biggie..... thirdly, the ending is so good, so perfect, that I am happy to admit that I wept for its brilliance. I said out loud, 'please end' and it cut to black and the credits began and I just dropped my head and in that moment I have to say, it was like a strong narcotic, that moment of knowing I had watched a perfect film. It was perfect folks. Perhaps better than perfect and, as Ron Burgundy would say, "That makes no sense." But then, it plays against a backlog of accepted movie 'traditions' that were always formulaic and trite, and instead the Coens, like the book (I imagine) make the brave choices true to the story, or most importantly, the ALLEGORY. See, people who are confused, or who don't spot the allegory and its bleak and moral undertones, will be 'gunning' for the hero, the old cop come good, the blah blah blah... they will be disappointed for reasons I will not go into and, well, sorry, but it's all bollocks. Grow up. It's a world of grey, not black and white. Santa's not real. Get over it. What you wanted is far less than what you got, but you can't see the wood for the trees. Please, open your eyes. It always was bollocks. The Coens knew this and they rise above over a hundred years of film-making tripe to deliver, regardless of some people's and even critics' (as indicated from the 30 - yes, 30 - above...what an idiot) inability to recognize it due to it placing an IQ-pre-requisite on the audience, the greatest and most perfectly shot and intensely-realized motion picture since the likes of Citizen Kane and The Godfather. Fargo!? Blood Simple (which I saw two weeks ago)!? You MUST be joking. Only someone who is afraid to enter the ghost world (if you will), the darkness itself and delve DEEP, as this film does, could say that those films come close to this film. This is indisputably the Coen brothers finest work and I say that as someone who LOVES them. Miller's Crossing is one of my all-time favs. But it can't match NCFOM.... Not remotely. It makes me want to reassess every perfect mark I have ever given! **SPOILERS** The Hotel Scene, the tracking device, the dog, the coin toss, the thematic and allegorical perfection...... as a film buff I recall somewhere along the way I had to pause the dvd, have a sip of tea and permit myself the audible admission that I was close to shitting myself for the amount of tension... and that I was in the midst of some bizarre cinematic orgasm (emotional/spiritual) as a result - and I say that as someone who has yawned through a thousand horror films. In fact if you are a horror fan, it is worth mentioning that this is also the best horror film I have seen in sometime. For you see, it is so thrilling and tense, it is horrific. And I loved it! Oh and the sound.... oh the sound is SOOOOOOO good. Watch this thing on 5.1, seriously. When it ended I simply was unable to move, but then, I got it. And bravo Coens, bravo.... Don't stress that some are like, "Oh, but ___," this and that.... you compromised nothing and you made my favourite film of all time. Thank you. I mean shit guys, this is easily the best film of this millenium even from an objective point of view..... Easily. Am I being a little elitist in saying this when some people clearly don't seem to 'like' (get) it? Um, I don't care. That's not how you go beyond the expected and create masterpieces. So the answer is, yes, the people who don't like it ARE wrong. Sorry, but it's that simple. They might not like NCFOM, that's fine, but it IS a great movie nonetheless. It just went over your head. You may lack a bit of dimension and/or be naive.... Don't sweat it. Even now, two days after seeing NCFOM, and just the one time, I ache. The best film I have seen this millenium. But by no means for everyone. Oh HELL NO.... if you'll excuse the pun..... And shoot me with a cattle-gun for saying it, but thank God for that. 11/10 Expand
  85. DylanM
    May 3, 2008
    I thought it was a great movie. Mainly due to its intelligence, if that makes sense. Its great action and story, but it could be real. Its not a movie that has dazzling special effects but really something that could have happened. Now the ending left me puzzled at first then i realized that that's just how it is in real life. Sometimes nobody wins, villains get away, and innocent I thought it was a great movie. Mainly due to its intelligence, if that makes sense. Its great action and story, but it could be real. Its not a movie that has dazzling special effects but really something that could have happened. Now the ending left me puzzled at first then i realized that that's just how it is in real life. Sometimes nobody wins, villains get away, and innocent people die. Not every movie can have a happy ending. Not every movie should. Its basically a commentary on how we as a society are today. We kill for pleasure (drugs) and those who stick to their morals often die or go crazy (pro and antagonist) Really makes you step back and look at your life and the people that surround you. Expand
  86. AnonNy'Mous
    May 3, 2008
    Great film, in spite of what the others say. Maybe the way it breaks away from the norm after the first helps aid the point? Anyway how can a film with a villain such as that be unentertaining?
  87. TonyB.
    May 1, 2008
    Great film. Acting was incredible the story line was superb. I hate people commenting on the ending, the ending was extremly well done, it was how the story was supposed to end.
  88. anonymousanonymous
    Apr 27, 2008
    This is a brilliant piece of cinematography and storytelling, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  89. DevonC.
    Apr 26, 2008
    No Country For Old Men Movie Review: In a nutshell. No Country For Old Men is definitely a hit classic, and is the Coen brother
  90. Aj
    Apr 25, 2008
    Very intense thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. BIG LEBOWSKI baby.
  91. DarrenP.
    Apr 22, 2008
    very very good film, best l've seen in months.on par with Shawshank Redemption.a film were you don't want to get out of your seat.
  92. OdhranH.
    Apr 20, 2008
    seems to me every criticism of this wonderful film stems from the fact that it does not follow generic convention and structure- so what? do you people really find it so insulting to be challenged a bit by filmmakers, or have we all got so boring and safe that we just want visceral thrills, we just want what we expect? we don't like being invited to think for ourselves? also all the seems to me every criticism of this wonderful film stems from the fact that it does not follow generic convention and structure- so what? do you people really find it so insulting to be challenged a bit by filmmakers, or have we all got so boring and safe that we just want visceral thrills, we just want what we expect? we don't like being invited to think for ourselves? also all the Coens really did with the structure was stay faithful to the novel, so I don't get the criticism of them as being arrogant or trying to be clever- to all who say that- go and read the book. Expand
  93. FrederickM.
    Apr 9, 2008
    to tell you the truth i was not expecting to much heading into the theatre to see no country, but as i walked i wanted to tell everyone to go see this movie, i was not priorly influenced by the critics because my cuzzin let me see an advanced screening in his theatre about 2 weeks prior to the films release. after 2 weeks i was still lovin and saw that the critics loved, i should be one, to tell you the truth i was not expecting to much heading into the theatre to see no country, but as i walked i wanted to tell everyone to go see this movie, i was not priorly influenced by the critics because my cuzzin let me see an advanced screening in his theatre about 2 weeks prior to the films release. after 2 weeks i was still lovin and saw that the critics loved, i should be one, this is the most perfect movie i have ever seen it kept me at the edge of my seat until the very end!! thank you thank you!! Expand
  94. JasonJ
    Apr 8, 2008
    The review from the Onion gets it right in its tag-line above: ''NCFOM reminds us that civilization is the aberration'; ugliness and evil are the norm in our world. That said: What if the film had a conventional ending, a shootout between Brolin and Chigurgh; and one of them got the money-- or perhaps neither of them? The film would likely have resolved with a formulaicThe review from the Onion gets it right in its tag-line above: ''NCFOM reminds us that civilization is the aberration'; ugliness and evil are the norm in our world. That said: What if the film had a conventional ending, a shootout between Brolin and Chigurgh; and one of them got the money-- or perhaps neither of them? The film would likely have resolved with a formulaic 'what is good?, what is evi? 'motif, probably thinking enough for most filmgoers. But that doesn't happen, and we are left with something much more difficult (or impossible) to digest. Jones will endure, like his father leading the way through the cold mountain pass, bearing the struggling, sputtering light into the unknown, into nothingness. And when our time comes, like Brolin's does (and Jones's will soon), none of us will see it coming. And the result? The world, with its default setting for ugliness, will continue to turn, unconcerned with us, or with our notions of good or evil and our struggles to define or contain either. And that's the message-- and it's bleak, no doubt. The film's draw for critics and other thinkers is this message, however; and it is precisely because it is far more sophisticated than a freshman philosophy resolution that would have left us questioning the nature of good and evil;or, heaven forbid, an ending that would have entailed the death of Chigurgh, the credits rolling on a final shot of a millionaire Brolin and his wife sipping Margaritas on a Mexican beach. The film's message is indeed nihilist, perhaps beyond nihilist; and it's great in the way that Macbeth is great, and for many of the same reasons. Expand
  95. JoeM.
    Apr 7, 2008
    Lean and mean, along with The Assassination of Jesse James my favourite film of last year. Both lensed by Roger Deakins coincidentally - or not, as his lonesome vistas and cool washes of colour add terrific intensity to both stories.
  96. AlexB.
    Apr 4, 2008
    First of all this is one of the greatest movies ever made and not because of the brilliant acting, direction, perfectly adapted screenplay, brilliant cinematagraphy but the dark realism that most people don't want to accept so they shun it for being Real. I'm sick and tired of people bitching about the ending or the fact that Brolin's demise isn't shown because read First of all this is one of the greatest movies ever made and not because of the brilliant acting, direction, perfectly adapted screenplay, brilliant cinematagraphy but the dark realism that most people don't want to accept so they shun it for being Real. I'm sick and tired of people bitching about the ending or the fact that Brolin's demise isn't shown because read the damn book. There weren't many loose ends neither people just don't want to think about them and the ending is perfectly interrelated with the entire movie and he finally woke up to the fact that things don't turn out the way they are expected; Good guys lose, Bad guys win. Expand
  97. Jennifer
    Apr 4, 2008
    Could the guy with the lady do who only spoke what seemed to be five lines in the entire movie be any creepier! Although he didn't say much his presence in the movie was strong. Normally not the type of movie I would pick up but I am so glad I did. Make sure you see this movie. Yeah the movie feels like some things are left out or skipped but that is the style of this movie. Could the guy with the lady do who only spoke what seemed to be five lines in the entire movie be any creepier! Although he didn't say much his presence in the movie was strong. Normally not the type of movie I would pick up but I am so glad I did. Make sure you see this movie. Yeah the movie feels like some things are left out or skipped but that is the style of this movie. Don't score it down because everything isn't spelled out for you. I loved it. Best movie I have seen in a while. Expand
  98. ShortyGT500
    Apr 3, 2008
    Never heard of Javier Bardem, but truly impressed...
  99. DavidShepherd
    Apr 2, 2008
    I absolutely LOVE this movie, it has some of the greatest acting I've seen, they either make you love them, or hate them, theres no in between. The intensity is so great, keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. The ending is the only part that I don't like, there are so many questions and loose end that need to answered, it makes me so mad.
  100. JRo
    Mar 18, 2008
    Wow. The people that give low ratings on this movie seem to not be able to understand ....anything about life. Useless filler? Building suspense without using music is incredible enough in itself. You have to try to interpret what happens in the movie. Apparently, some of you are typical Americans and fail to be able to watch a movie that is not completely straightforwad. Congrats on the Wow. The people that give low ratings on this movie seem to not be able to understand ....anything about life. Useless filler? Building suspense without using music is incredible enough in itself. You have to try to interpret what happens in the movie. Apparently, some of you are typical Americans and fail to be able to watch a movie that is not completely straightforwad. Congrats on the lack of progression in being a normal functioning human adult. This movie is one of the best that you could ever hope for. Expand

1. It’s a near masterpiece.
    Joel and Ethan Coen's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's 2005 novel is an indisputably great movie, at this point the year's very best.
    It's the most ambitious and impressive Coen film in at least a decade, featuring the flat, sun-blasted landscapes of west Texas -- spectacularly shot by cinematographer Roger Deakins -- and an eerily memorable performance by Javier Bardem, in a Ringo Starr haircut.