Miramax Films | Release Date: November 9, 2007
Generally favorable reviews based on 1534 Ratings
1,178
WATCH NOW
SpangleMay 15, 2014
Great film as expected and one that really reminded me of my favorite Coen Brothers film, Fargo, at certain times, though this one is far, far darker. However, much like Fargo, this one is anchored by strong performances (especially JavierGreat film as expected and one that really reminded me of my favorite Coen Brothers film, Fargo, at certain times, though this one is far, far darker. However, much like Fargo, this one is anchored by strong performances (especially Javier Bardem who was absolutely postively amazing), as well as brilliant cinematography by Roger Deakins, and great directing by the Coen Brothers. I am not a huge huge Coen Brothers fan, but their skill is undeniable and it is on full display here. In particular, the thrills and then the lack of a "satisfying" ending were perfect. While many were bothered by the ending, I absolutely loved it. While it may not be what you are looking for, it feels all so appropriate. However, easily my favorite sequence is the opening sequence with the great monologue by Tommy Lee Jones, which really sets up the rest of the film perfectly. In addition, Anton's first victim that we see really sets the tone for how crazy and vicious he really is. Finally, the setting is gorgeous. I am a sucker for western settings in film and this one is no exception. It really lends itself to beautiful shot after beautiful shot and Deakins and the Coens really use it to its fullest.

On the negative side, the film is a tad slow admittedly. While it is thrilling and exciting and never really boring, it certainly drags at times (though everything has a purpose in the film). Not a major knock, but a knock all the same. Overall, a great accomplishment, this one is yet another entry into a great year in 2007.
MovieGuysJan 16, 2014
No Country For Old Men is exhilaratingly brilliant, with raw and to-the-point dialogue that makes the transitions of scenes smooth. The cinematography is excellent, and the plot is exciting. Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones, and and Javier BodemNo Country For Old Men is exhilaratingly brilliant, with raw and to-the-point dialogue that makes the transitions of scenes smooth. The cinematography is excellent, and the plot is exciting. Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones, and and Javier Bodem are excellent in this film, and captivate you with their performances. Expand
Compi24Mar 30, 2016
While not necessarily an overt crowd-pleaser of a film, "No Country For Old Men" is definitely more of a healthy, stick-to-your-ribs dose of auteuristic filmmaking at its finest. It almost seems like the eponymous Cormac McCarthy novel wasWhile not necessarily an overt crowd-pleaser of a film, "No Country For Old Men" is definitely more of a healthy, stick-to-your-ribs dose of auteuristic filmmaking at its finest. It almost seems like the eponymous Cormac McCarthy novel was tailor-made for the Coen Brothers' hands to latch onto. With the pointed nihilism, blistering moral commentary, and occasional kernels of pitch black humor already so intrinsic to McCarthy's story, the Coens' involvement was almost inarguably meant to be. Top them off with some of Roger Deakins' finest camerawork, excellent sound design, and Javier Bardem's legendary turn as "Anton Chigurh," and you have the makings of a truly memorable cinematic experience. Expand
beingryanjudeSep 2, 2014
The Coen Brothers at the very top of their game. No Country for Old Men is a well-executed modern western which bites hard. Javier Bardem is impressive as the assassin Anton Chigurh.
ThegodfathersonMar 10, 2013
When it comes to great moving films that hook you up from the beginning to end, The Coen Brothers have it all. No Country For Old Men is so good you will clap at the climax, you will remember this movie for the rest of your life.
grandpajoe6191Sep 19, 2011
The Coen Brothers did it again; "No Country for Old Men" proceeds its way to the oscars as a quiet, deep movie that strikes the core of tension, a true masterpiece.
Meth-dudeAug 9, 2016
With excellent performances, an interesting and entertaining story and great characters, No Country for Old Men definitely is a must see and, without a doubt, a classic.
imthenoobJan 2, 2013
It is a very good movie. It's well acted and written and it keeps you interested through out. Bardem gives an amazing performance as the film's villain. However, The whole Tommy Lee Jones sub-plot sort of ruined the pace of the movie,It is a very good movie. It's well acted and written and it keeps you interested through out. Bardem gives an amazing performance as the film's villain. However, The whole Tommy Lee Jones sub-plot sort of ruined the pace of the movie, Especially the ending. Expand
FranzHcriticJan 16, 2014
A blunt, almost blatant tale of why you should never run from those chasing you. A gritty and oddly pragmatic tale that slowly drifts (which many consider the film's taciturn banality) into an aberration of the era and the situation. ActedA blunt, almost blatant tale of why you should never run from those chasing you. A gritty and oddly pragmatic tale that slowly drifts (which many consider the film's taciturn banality) into an aberration of the era and the situation. Acted out beautifully, mostly by the man of many roles, and hairstyles, Javier Bardem. With the amount of graphic violence that is ultimately timed right, the Coen brothers have once made a film that, for me personally, cannot be banal or dreary in the slightest, but the absolute opposite. Expand
StevenFJan 8, 2013
Powerful, stunning, horrific, it must be another Coen movie!
Powerful, stunning, horrific, it must be another Coen movie!
The Coen brothers pull the concept of this film off so well that it was more intense to see Tommy Lee Jones anxiety when approaching a crime scene than actually seeing any of said occurrence actually happen.

Another notable scene within the film is when Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem)walks into a gas station and responds to the shop
axelkochJan 5, 2013
This is actually one of the best book adaptions ever. It's almost impossible to tell a story accurately with such little dialogues and without a narrator voice, but the Coen brothers accomplished it fantastically. A perfect cast till minorThis is actually one of the best book adaptions ever. It's almost impossible to tell a story accurately with such little dialogues and without a narrator voice, but the Coen brothers accomplished it fantastically. A perfect cast till minor roles and Javier Bardem makes one of the best film villains of all time! The style of the film is absolutely unique and the mixture of western, thriller and satire is excellent. The ending is realistic and leaves a couple of questions open, which makes you think a lot about the film afterwards. Everything seems sophisticated, even how scenes succeed on one another and that's what is so fantastic about this movie. Everything that happens in No Country For Old Men keeps your eyes peeled on the TV screen, even if it's just normal dialogue. I.e. the showdown between Chigurh and Moss, which is one of the most thrilling scenes I've seen lately or the Chigurh's conversation with the gas station proprietor which is absolutely awesome. The screenplay, the direction and Javier Bardem totally deserved the Oscar. There were better movies in 2006 but this flick is a very favorable tale about bad people that is both confusing and stunning. Expand
drlowdonAug 12, 2013
Llewelyn Moss stumbles upon the remains of a drug deal gone bad in the Texas desert including a case containing two million dollars. He decides the keep the money for himself but soon finds he has a dangerous man on his trail.

Part crime

Part crime drama, part western No Country for Old Men is undoubtedly the Coen brothers best movie since Fargo. Telling a cracking story and featuring a number of truly memorable performances this is one movie that truly deserves the critical acclaim it has received.
chwJul 17, 2014
No Country for Old Men was an amazing adaptation of the book by Cormac McCarthy. (I've actually read the book. That's why I can say that) The story was great, and the actors were extraordinary (mainly Javier Bardem).
ERG1008Sep 17, 2010
Hunter/cowboy bloke stumbles across a load of cash after a drug deal shootout in the middle of the Texas desert. Javier Bardem comes after him.
Very well acted & shot & the scenes with Bardem are fantastic. The "Where does he work?" & Gas Station scenes are just superb.
The only problem was the last half hour which went a bit up it's own arse.
spadenxJan 5, 2012
Javier Bardem really makes this film, His performance is not only haunting but its amazing. His supporting cast is good as well. The film is interesting ,as is the plot, but I just cant put it up there with other top films. Its theJavier Bardem really makes this film, His performance is not only haunting but its amazing. His supporting cast is good as well. The film is interesting ,as is the plot, but I just cant put it up there with other top films. Its the performances that make this film and it shows through out. Expand
BradySmithNov 9, 2014
At the risk of sounding unprofessional, (and I guess I'm not since no one pays me for this), this movie is awesome. It's tense, eerie, violent, bloody, action packed.... I could go on forever. This is probably my favorite Cohen brothersAt the risk of sounding unprofessional, (and I guess I'm not since no one pays me for this), this movie is awesome. It's tense, eerie, violent, bloody, action packed.... I could go on forever. This is probably my favorite Cohen brothers movie. They direct it with such obsessive detail in every little action that it's impossible not to be impressed with their work here. I like a lot of their movies, but none of them can match this one's sublime mix of violence, story, and character. Anton Chigur has to be one of the top five screen villains of all time. He really does come close to Hannibal Lecter status, and how often can you say that? The only real flaw here is an unsatisfying ending, but I've seen plenty of movies that have ended a lot worse. Probably one of the best Best Picture winners ever, and perhaps my favorite crime thriller. Expand
asylumspadezNov 24, 2011
I liked it but I thinkts its far too overrated. Javier Bardem gives an amazing, chilling performance in this film and he is really the only reason worth watching it for.
SwatiJan 25, 2014
In this film we get to see the Coen brothers' version of a true psychopath. We follow two story lines until they converge and become one. Chigurh (Javier Bardem) is a lunatic who has no conscience whatsoever. Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) isIn this film we get to see the Coen brothers' version of a true psychopath. We follow two story lines until they converge and become one. Chigurh (Javier Bardem) is a lunatic who has no conscience whatsoever. Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) is the man who we root for, even though he is far from being a saint. But the fact that he doesn't kill people over nothing certainly gives him an edge over his opponents in gaining our sympathy.

Moss finds a ridiculous amount of money in the desert and decides to keep it. Two sets of sides then follow him around the country as he outwits them at every step. Chigurh is called in and joins the chase, but he has his own agenda, which is to say none that can be understood by a sane man. Needless to say, we get to see a whole lot of shootouts and deaths and close calls.

Chigurh was the most enduring character from the bunch. He has two weapons he puts to deadly use at every occasion. A psychopath in every sense of the word, he looks for quarrels in nothing that would suggest to offend a normal person.

Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) is an aging sheriff. He quips and jokes with a poker face. I thoroughly enjoyed his peculiar sense of humour. Always trying to do the right thing, he feels that he isn't upto the task of apprehending these criminals who have suddenly decided to make the territory under his jurisdiction their battlefield. The title of the movie is probably about him.

There were more than a few memorable scenes of violence and gore. The art direction depicted the time splendidly with the costume and cars and cafes. The cinematography captured the beautiful bleak landscape of the southern wilderness with finesse. The open plains and deserts certainly felt like a character unto itself.

The first hour and a half nailed the action, suspense and dialogue with a craftsman's precision, and had not one scene that threatened to slow the pace. Despite the entertaining pace, every one of the main characters was well developed and distinct. The gunfights seemed realistic. People actually got injured and had no ability to dodge the bullets. There were a few scenes with conversations reflecting upon the changing times in terms of the violence being perpetrated. Some of the older audience may have felt nostalgic for a bit around this time. The film had the quality that takes the viewers imperceptibly from scene to scene.

I've always wondered how action sequences would feel like without supporting score to pump our adrenaline, and relying solely on content. They felt raw and genuine. Coen brothers showed us how they should be done. But if I made a film, I would have some music in the scenes about reflection and resolution.

Unlike the other great films in the genre of crime/thriller, this one chose to show what was happening only during the present. There was literally no transtion of time. In that it was like Raiders of the Lost Ark. But that movie had an extended cop-out ending.

The minute the main story ends abruptly, we move into a five minute interlude which felt forced and left me restless. There were no visible stakes and instead there were some conversations that were kind of conclusory remarks about what had taken place before. Everything before this had me absorbed in the narrative and that scene had nothing to do with anything that we were already shown. As the pacing was breakneck before this, some of the audience may have felt it to be more dragging even when the film returns to the main story. The extraction of a message or theme should be left entirely to the audience. I would have respected the Coens a lot more if they had the sense to know what should be left out. But since that scene wasn't long, I won't be harsh. But this blunder in editing took away from the strengths of the movie and thus the film failed to leave a lasting impression. The last scene was retainable but forgettable.
cabritaApr 3, 2012
No country for old men is a thrilling film with an ending that will either disapoint or complete this masterfully made film. I am in the middle on the end but i cannot dismiss it because all the things that came previous in the film.
StaticSpineJun 11, 2014
A bit strange movie, especially the ending, but it keeps you attracted to the screen and feel the growing tension. The filming is great. The actors and the characters are superb! Should be definitely seen by anyone who loves good movies.
alejandro970Jun 4, 2017
A grim hunter & prey story about a man who came to wrong place in worst moment. Javier Bardem remarks as the clever, cold- hearted hit man, so Tommy Lee Jones as the tired, decaying sheriff. The sequence of mexican banda is cool.
moonman1994Feb 9, 2014
Absolutely outstanding! The acting is spot on in all parts. It's magnificently written and manages to shock you and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. At the same time the writing manages to show many different walks of lifeAbsolutely outstanding! The acting is spot on in all parts. It's magnificently written and manages to shock you and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. At the same time the writing manages to show many different walks of life in a heavily realistic fashion. The writing also amazing show cases the character progression of the villain, played by Javier Bardem and his performance solidifies his character as possibly one of the most memorable movie characters of all time. This film is a must watch plain and simple. Expand
TheWalrus2000Mar 10, 2013
The Coen brothers provide one of the most strongest films ever. It provides awesome performances and extremely thrilling murderous suspense that makes the film suceed on all levels. Its by far the best direction that the Coen brothers haveThe Coen brothers provide one of the most strongest films ever. It provides awesome performances and extremely thrilling murderous suspense that makes the film suceed on all levels. Its by far the best direction that the Coen brothers have ever done in their spectacular career. Expand
JmsbppJul 2, 2013
Los hermanos Coen lograron conseguir esta película fantásticamente hecha...............................................................................
nahtan1244Mar 23, 2016
wow this movie swept me off my feet. What we have here is a superbly acted written and plotted cat and mouse game between a hitman and a cowboy. Everyone here does a great job but hats off to Javier bardem as an original villain with awow this movie swept me off my feet. What we have here is a superbly acted written and plotted cat and mouse game between a hitman and a cowboy. Everyone here does a great job but hats off to Javier bardem as an original villain with a purpose not to just kill but kill with a purpose. Nothing goes right for any one in this film. All the character meet there fate in some form or another. There is an underlying theme about how nowadays the sheriff ed tom bell the villain and Llewellyn moss might not have a place and have dreams of something different. The ending may leave one frustrated upon fist viewing but once you do your research you will find yourself appreciate it a little more. This film has violence and it is gritty but the coen brothers have decided to favor heavy though provoking themes over the violence which results in a deeply magnificent intelligent cat and mouse thriller across west Texas. Hats off to the coen brothers for making such a great film Expand
MonsieurEamesJan 7, 2013
A chilling, unforgettable experience propelled by a mesmerizing performance from Javier Bardem. The ending was rather unrewarding, though, although it adds to the film's uniqueness.
YoursTrulyNov 11, 2012
The beauty of this movie is the simplicity. One guy has the suitcase full of money, other guy wants the suitcase full of money and so begins a chase interwoven with a hurricane of tension. Just watching the creativity with which these twoThe beauty of this movie is the simplicity. One guy has the suitcase full of money, other guy wants the suitcase full of money and so begins a chase interwoven with a hurricane of tension. Just watching the creativity with which these two characters try to best one another is enthralling in itself. The entire movie is slow, quiet and irresistible. Great acting and brilliant directing. Overall, I would describe No Country for Old Men as a dark and sinister pleasure. Expand
DokaluJun 24, 2015
I'm sorry, I'm not a genius, a philosopher, a professional critic, or anything like that. I'm just an average person, who likes average movies. I simply don't get the good thing in this film. Yes, it most surely has things to be appreciated,I'm sorry, I'm not a genius, a philosopher, a professional critic, or anything like that. I'm just an average person, who likes average movies. I simply don't get the good thing in this film. Yes, it most surely has things to be appreciated, things that are going to make a lot of people remember it, and things that are going to leave you thinking a lot; but I'm not that kind of person. And for a common movies watcher, this film is just slow and boring, It has beautiful acting, a flawless script, and it's certainly original, but I simply didn't enjoy the story it tells, even when it can get you really engrossed in the plot. Watch it if you are fairly smart and want to see what some can certainly consider a piece of art (and I don't disagree with them). Expand
VinceRocks123May 13, 2015
even though there is no OST in the film the Coen brother's nightmarish masterpiece of the hellish underworld in the country seems so vividly real you can't run away from your seats even if you want to.
marking 2007 a great year for darker movies
AkashVijayJan 21, 2015
Bold, gothic, commanding and visceral. No Country for Old Men is as brilliant a movie you'll see from the past decade. The visual beauty and lack of score pulls us into a tense, anxious and deeply disturbed atmosphere, dragging us throughBold, gothic, commanding and visceral. No Country for Old Men is as brilliant a movie you'll see from the past decade. The visual beauty and lack of score pulls us into a tense, anxious and deeply disturbed atmosphere, dragging us through sunny landscapes so bleak that just by watching the film, you'll put your soul at hazard. Tommy Lee Jones opens the film with a monologue where he talks about how criminals have changed (or dare I say evolved) to a point where he no longer understands them. The film draws attention to this idea through the character Anton Chigurh. He's a criminal who'll outrightly kill anyone who brings him inconvenience. But Chigurh's a much more complex character. Although it's never quite revealed why he wants the satchel of money, one can reasonably argue that he wants it because it would aid his survival (same can be said for Josh Brolin's Lewellyn). But what makes Chigurh different is that he believes following the rules and morals set by society don't really help you survive. Rather they're shackles. Chigurh's morals are decided by the toss of a coin. He'll kill an innocent person who's brought him no inconvenience only if the coin permits. In other words, Chigurh believes in a random and chaotic world and for the most part it seems as though he's the person who decides others' destiny through chance. But the Coens make it clear that Chigurh is no divine/ supernatural figure. He too is subject to random events (as witnessed when he crashes his car). But how do you categorise a person like that? A person who is so dispassionate and mechanical but still believes in an ideology (or a lack of ideology). He's not a nihilist. Tommy Lee Jones' Sheriff doesn't get it. He doesn't want to chase a killer he doesn't understand. He doesn't want to be some hero, he just wants to retire before something hazardous happens to him. The genius of No Country for Old Men lies in the way it escapes banality and tightens its grip as it progresses. By the time its over, you'll be all out breath feeling as though you've just spiralled into the seventh circle of hell. It pulls you out not by heroism but by capitulation.
At the beginning, Tommy Lee Jones is askes himself - how do I make sense of a crazy, violent and unstable world that has lost all its bearings? Ultimately the film's bleak and melancholy answer is - You can't.
JuanoloApr 2, 2012
First off, this is a 10 out of 10. It's an amazing masterpiece. Acting is amazing. Everyone gives Oscar worthy performances. There's not that much music but that adds to the intensity, and when there is, it's great. The story is phenomical.First off, this is a 10 out of 10. It's an amazing masterpiece. Acting is amazing. Everyone gives Oscar worthy performances. There's not that much music but that adds to the intensity, and when there is, it's great. The story is phenomical. Its so intense and you just want to stay around to see what'll happen next. Overall, this is a masterpiece. No country for old men is a great thriller, great western, and a even better movie. This is highly recommended for anyone wanting to watch a good movie. Expand
JunelKeanJul 2, 2017
The Coen Brothers bring a neo-western noir suspense film based on Cormac McCarthy's novel to the big screen. We see an all-star cast including Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem. The story follows when a hunter (Brolin) finds aThe Coen Brothers bring a neo-western noir suspense film based on Cormac McCarthy's novel to the big screen. We see an all-star cast including Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem. The story follows when a hunter (Brolin) finds a case full of money and then becomes a target of a psychotic killer (Bardem), but a sheriff (Jones) tries to protect him and stop the mayhem.

No Country for Old Men serves as one of the best films of the Coen Brothers with its powerful actors and storyline. They used bleak images and shots which are perfectly mastered by the cinematography of Roger Deakins. Furthermore, to skip music is entirely the most effective decision they did, in order to make the setting more desolate.

The disturbing performances of the cast make a dark mood for the adrenaline-fueled moments of the film. It features an energetic feel to the old Westerns and a once in a lifetime role of Bardem as the psychopath, Anton Cigurh.

VERDICT: The Coen brothers have successfully seized the merciless Wild West into a picture that tells about mayhem and violence to the grandest scale.
daviddelnorte23Apr 12, 2017
'No es país para viejos', ¡qué título, brutal! Pues sí, la película está a la altura del título y de que manera. Es de esas películas que empiezan en un momento concreto y que poco a poco vas conociendo el resto. Entre VIOLENCIA y VIOLENCIA'No es país para viejos', ¡qué título, brutal! Pues sí, la película está a la altura del título y de que manera. Es de esas películas que empiezan en un momento concreto y que poco a poco vas conociendo el resto. Entre VIOLENCIA y VIOLENCIA que es la palabra que mejor define este film.

Este largometraje tiene un tono muy 'Fargo' tanto de la serie como del filme. Y es que pocas veces he visto un psicópata como este. Increíble el personaje de Javier Bardem. Aunque no menos interesante es el de Josh Brolin o el de Tommy Lee Jones que le da ese puntito crepúscular a la película.

El guión es sensacional y no se echa atrás en ningún momento, llendo hasta las últimas consecuencias del mismo. Junto con la dirección de los Coen que llevan magníficamente la película y sus tiempos. La fotografía es excelente dando una sensación constante de western 'moderno' de 'fuera de la ley' todo. Genial.

En conclusión, este tipo de películas me encantan y me parecen geniales. Son de oir, ver y callar entre VIOLENCIA y VIOLENCIA. Absolutamente genial. Un 9 con tintes de 10.
ScorpionNov 25, 2013
The America was marked by bloodshed, was sometimes accurate and sometimes totally useless form, were always involved power and money somehow, the book by Cormac M. portrays it interesting and visceral way, the same can be said of the CohenThe America was marked by bloodshed, was sometimes accurate and sometimes totally useless form, were always involved power and money somehow, the book by Cormac M. portrays it interesting and visceral way, the same can be said of the Cohen brothers movie that captures the competitive spirit of Americans and brutal when it puts money in the game, but the most interesting are the performances of Javier B. and Tommy L. Jones that capture impressively (especially Bardem) the state of its characters, which explains all the euphoria that critics have with this film. Expand
hanneguacamoleDec 21, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No Country for Old Men was violent. I cringed several times. Usually that genre is not my cup of tea, yet here it managed to convey the sense of urgency, the psychopathic nature lying inside Anton. How far is too far for 2 million dollars?

The moment Llewelyn gets caught up in this mess of a crime, he is never getting out alive. His hands have soiled the crime scene and that is enough cuase for death – by a cattle stungun of all weapons. No Country for Old Men is a thriller and a crime, but the overlying idea seems to be introspection into these characters involved in a convoluted circle of violence.

Whatever you do, don't get caught in Anton's path – he will stop at nothing, despite his "principles." Killing may be his sport, but everyone has got to have rules. Another standout by the Coen brothers, a pair who have produced higher quality than probable by a coin toss.
YorkManFeb 4, 2016
No Country For Old Men is the Coen Brother's homage to Peckinpah, featuring a muted and somewhat distorted historical piece of storytelling.
The main crux of the movie is the cat and mouse engagement of a Vietnam veteran (Josh Brolin), who stumbles across a drug deal gone awry..... And a Mafia hitman (Javier Bardem) who is unleashed upon him in order to recover the $2 million that Brolin finds at the scene.
On both their heels is a soon to retire county Sheriff (Tommy Lee Jones) who suspects there is more going on than what those around him suspect.

From a film-making perspective this is the Coen's at their best. Every aspect of the production is impeccable, and the lack of a musical score heightens the suspense when other directors would have imposed some kind of background music to 'tell' the audience something suspenseful is happening.
The acting across the board is fantastic. Tommy Lee Jones is as gravelly as always, Josh Brolin delivers the best performance of his career up to that point, but it's Javier Bardem who steals the film in terms of acting. His portrayal of the seemingly invincible hitman whose own motives are clouded and contradictory is a real revelation. Unfortunately his position as THE go to foreign star/co-star has been usurped by Christoph Waltz, and it's likely he'll simply fade back into the smaller films he starred in before.

But, for all the positives, there are some big negatives. The main issue I had with the film is that it feels like a collection of set pieces joined together, and it's been noted that the narrative of the book on which the film is based does flesh out some of the character development the film completely omits. It's like the screenplay was written to include title cards along the way, announcing each 'chapter' so as to let the audience understand that there are intended gaps in the narrative which the director is highlighting. Without that highlighting, things happen and you're not sure how or why the film leaps from character to character, because they're not interlinked.
The other big problem is that there is very little exposition, meaning the viewer has little comprehension of where people are going, or how certain characters figure certain things out. For a film in which the tension is defined by the actions of the main characters, it created questions in my mind surrounding people's actions, when it would have made a lot more sense to do something else.

Overall though, this is a great film. Switch off your deep-thinking sensibilities, and roll along with three completely different men, each trying to figure out what they need to do next, whilst marveling at the imagery and depth of what is captured on the film.
LaGuertaApr 29, 2014
Sinister, brutal and in possession of an abundance of lines to read between, 'No Country for Old Men' is a modern day masterpiece from the boots of it's cinematography right up to the Stetson of typically multi dimensional, CoenSinister, brutal and in possession of an abundance of lines to read between, 'No Country for Old Men' is a modern day masterpiece from the boots of it's cinematography right up to the Stetson of typically multi dimensional, Coen characterisation. I will no longer feel safe behind a locked door having witnessed the now, iconic realisation of Anton Chigurh. Expand
tonyGreenFeb 4, 2011
A truely unique movie. An effective thriller and much more besides. Visually a joy. Perfect casting for the three male leads. Has the stamp of the Coen Bros: gentle humor slipping underneath great drama (and great violence).
JamesCannonNov 10, 2012
Cohen movies have been misunderstood for years..some people find them to boring or to hard to follow (millers crossing). I think they are marvelous and extremely witty, filled with some the most realistic characters you could want in aCohen movies have been misunderstood for years..some people find them to boring or to hard to follow (millers crossing). I think they are marvelous and extremely witty, filled with some the most realistic characters you could want in a movie. They also do not end in happy cheery ways or tight hollywood endings that may hint at sequel. This one of my favorites right behind millers crossing..which is i believe one the best movies ever made. Expand
WiesyJan 17, 2013
One of the best movie ever made. Very nice story with some of the best actors. Amazing movie!
MagnificentMJun 1, 2012
No Country for Old Men is the best Coen Brothers movie since Fargo. The highlight of the movie is the amazing cast, particularly Javier Bardem as the ruthless killer Anton Chigurh. His haircut alone will give you nightmares. Then there isNo Country for Old Men is the best Coen Brothers movie since Fargo. The highlight of the movie is the amazing cast, particularly Javier Bardem as the ruthless killer Anton Chigurh. His haircut alone will give you nightmares. Then there is the always great Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson, and Kelly McDonald. But this is more than just a showcase of great acting, it is a technical masterpiece with amazing sound effects and film editing that really maximizes intensity and suspense. The story is one that has been told a thousand times before, but it's never been told quite like this. It doesn't follow the typical mold of a get away film. The good guys don't always win, and the bad guy doesn't always find justice. Furthermore, No Country has one of the best film endings of all time, even if others often claim it is anticlimactic or whatever it is they accuse it of being. I won't spoil the ending, but it fits perfectly and it has an allegorical meaning that really ties the whole movie together. Expand
nboley08Aug 16, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My personal pick for best film of the 2000's. The Coen brothers made their finest film here (yes that includes "Fargo") by perfectly adapting McArthy's novel into a Southern lament about fate and circumstance. I love the way the characters grow closer and closer and their stories twist tighter and tighter but never get to see each other. I love the way the Coens lead the audience deeper and deeper into an abyss of nightmares and darkness, forcing us to watch as Llewellyn is slowly but surely found and killed. I love the performances, not giving too much away, but letting its classical philosophies float throughout the air and recur multiple times before the end of the film in its beautiful poetic dialogue that is individualized so perfectly that we could never imagine another character trying to speak their words. I love the ambiguous ending, showing that the film is more about philosophy rather than "who lived, who didn't", and forcing modern audiences to realize that sometimes it's simply better to just not kno. I love this movie. Expand
TheBearNov 3, 2010
A thrilling film most of the way through with an outstanding performance from Javier Bardem that disappoints with a finale which may have great meaning and suit the story but falls flat from a entertaining point of view. Don't let aA thrilling film most of the way through with an outstanding performance from Javier Bardem that disappoints with a finale which may have great meaning and suit the story but falls flat from a entertaining point of view. Don't let a disappointing albeit unique finale turn you off what is a great film. Expand
ScreenagerApr 5, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite an abrupt ending, this movie is a fantastic masterpiece from the Coen Brothers. Beautifully shot, superb acting (particularly from Javier Bardem in an Academy Award winning role), and a fast, suspenseful pace, this is story telling at its best. Expand
aryanruleFeb 3, 2011
A bit slow, but one of the best movies of 2007. Javier Bardem is absolutely great, and I can say with much confidence that this is role of his life. His accent is perfect, if u dont know him from previous movies, u would think he is bornA bit slow, but one of the best movies of 2007. Javier Bardem is absolutely great, and I can say with much confidence that this is role of his life. His accent is perfect, if u dont know him from previous movies, u would think he is born american. He plays psychopath with no sense of humanity or regret, and he does it so good. 4 stars. Expand
Christian0205Apr 13, 2014
brilliant masterpiece! The acting performed by Bardem is excellent. The touches of unexpected moments make it really entertaining. Might be a little dissapointing in the end for some.
SeanGamerDaysApr 22, 2014
I love this movie, with a cat-and-mouse theme, and some violance concept of Anton Chigurh. Some movies can't be better with the effect of the surprise elements, but this, this is some awesome 5H1+ to watched!
JUIKERDec 22, 2010
Some reasons why this movie is great... that the haters just seem to utterly miss. a) Superb cinematography focused on a bleak southern landscape that easily reflects the movie's naturalistic theme b) Motifs such as different portrayals ofSome reasons why this movie is great... that the haters just seem to utterly miss. a) Superb cinematography focused on a bleak southern landscape that easily reflects the movie's naturalistic theme b) Motifs such as different portrayals of money determining fate c) Pithy dialogue in which the Coens' derive cornpone wisdom out of people who have seen too much (love the scene with the two retired lawmen in the desert shack near the end) d) Tommy Lee Jones, all wrinkled and angst-ridden about the state of the world when he should be looking forward to retirement. e) lots more but you can read critics reviews to find out what those reasons are. I'm not prone to giving out 10s unless something deserves it. I've seen this three times and it's as perfect as movies come. Some of the haters here are just downright pretentious while others really are too dumb to get a great piece of film making like this. Expand
EmptyFilmStockMay 25, 2012
"No Country for Old Men" is a close to perfect film and one of the Coens' best films in a while. They can be darkly funny at times, laugh out loud hilarious other times, and SRS BSNS other times.
D-SliceDec 24, 2010
Absolutely amazing film. This was probably the first movie that ever actually affected me in a big way. Perfect casting, amazing performance from Javier and a perfect use of pretty much no musical score whatsoever. It's a western, but not theAbsolutely amazing film. This was probably the first movie that ever actually affected me in a big way. Perfect casting, amazing performance from Javier and a perfect use of pretty much no musical score whatsoever. It's a western, but not the type of western I had expected. So different from any other film I had ever seen before it, I really was blown away by the amazing direction. This is the type of movie I love. It isn't really moved along with action and suspense (though it has plenty of both), but by character interaction and dialogue. Potentially the best western of all time. Expand
Cotts1988Apr 28, 2011
No Country for Old Men is an example of how a chase movie should be done. When I first saw this film I thought that it was distinctly average, yet upon re-watching it I found it much more enjoyable. The film is gripping and tense, with allNo Country for Old Men is an example of how a chase movie should be done. When I first saw this film I thought that it was distinctly average, yet upon re-watching it I found it much more enjoyable. The film is gripping and tense, with all the performances being fantastic, particularly Javier Bardem whose performance is nothing short of chilling. Indeed, Bardem is involved in all of the films best scenes and helps massively to elevate the film above the average. The only major flaw with this movie is that the ending speech given by Tommy Lee Jones is immensely hard to understand, and after seeing the film twice I still don't get it. Nevertheless, No Country for Old Men is a great film and definitely well worth watching. Expand
DanielwWhiteDec 21, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No Country for Old Men is a very interesting movie. The plot to the movie is very interesting and keep viewers entertained. The best part of this movie is the antagonist, which is unlike any other character. Biggest problem was that the ending kinda sucked. Expand
rastapastaOct 10, 2012
The finest work by the Cohen Brothers, No Country for Old Men is brutal, violent, truthful, and one hell of a ride. The acting is beyond superb, the editing and cinematography are some of the best I have ever seen, and Javier Bardem is theThe finest work by the Cohen Brothers, No Country for Old Men is brutal, violent, truthful, and one hell of a ride. The acting is beyond superb, the editing and cinematography are some of the best I have ever seen, and Javier Bardem is the new Hannibal Lector as the film's nightmarish villain, Anton Chigurh. For those negative reviews you see (notice only on the user column, mind you), they are all from people that are looking for something directed by Michael Bay and require no thought process whatsoever. Even if the ending requires some out-of-theatre interpretation, see this movie. It's one that going down with some of the best in film history. Expand
SchizophreniacFeb 10, 2014
the film has an original story. brilliant film. javier bardem's performance is perfect, I was scared from Javier on this film, this is very important for this film's reality.
WymasterAug 17, 2013
In my mind, the greatest movie of all time (Better than Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, all of them). NCFOM explores humans in a way that no other film can. It shows us why people do what they do. It addresses how fate, and how thingsIn my mind, the greatest movie of all time (Better than Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, all of them). NCFOM explores humans in a way that no other film can. It shows us why people do what they do. It addresses how fate, and how things out of our control, can affect our lives. It comes the closest that any movie has come to showing us the true meaning of life. There is no definite meaning of life: We are all here, doing things, talking to people, participating in activities; we are all simply living. And this film comes the closest to showing us why. As a film itself, it has terrific acting, especially from Javier Bardem, a terrific script, and dark, suspenseful tone that keeps you on edge the entire time. As a piece of art, it is inferior to none. The greatest movie ever made, in my opinion. Expand
FrostbiteOct 14, 2010
No Country For Old Men follows an antelope hunter, a man named Llewlyn Moss, who stumbles on a drug deal gone bad and takes a satchel stuffed full of money (Around two million dollars overall.) and from there on is relentlessly hunted down byNo Country For Old Men follows an antelope hunter, a man named Llewlyn Moss, who stumbles on a drug deal gone bad and takes a satchel stuffed full of money (Around two million dollars overall.) and from there on is relentlessly hunted down by Mexican criminals and a ruthless assassin named Anton Chigurh. Now, this might sound almost like a thin story, but it is pulled off perfectly. The film takes place just after the Vietnam War in Texas. The movie has some amazing moments- you'll be on the edge of your seat as Anton chases Moss through the empty night streets of a Texan city, firing at the hunter with a silenced shotgun. But the movie isn't all guns and action, though those scenes are pulled off effortlessly. There are many meaningful characters, like Sheriff Bell, who is struggling to piece together the mass murders erupting on his streets. Really, I found my favorite character to be Anton Chigurh, the psychotic, incredibly intelligent character. Javier Bardem is so good at his role, it is simply shocking to see him in action. And the ending isn't a happy-crappy one where Moss becomes the big hero at the end and takes down his assassins; instead it is cold and almost slightly depressing. If you like action movies, a flick with a good story, or, hell, if you like movies in general, this is for you. Expand
JollyRogerOmniJul 17, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I believe that NCFOM is Oscar worthy, but the movie had that kind of needless "There will be Blood" depressiveness. I'm not talking about the mood of the film. I'm referring to the fact that the only sympathetic characterDon't get me wrong, I believe that NCFOM is Oscar worthy, but the movie had that kind of needless "There will be Blood" depressiveness. I'm not talking about the mood of the film. I'm referring to the fact that the only sympathetic character in the film was Tommy Lee Jones' character. I would have genuinely been upset if his character were killed. I can't really say the same thing about the rest of the characters. Expand
Giorgi751Aug 15, 2015
I think this movie is a test for sense of greatness. If you want to find out whether your mind is mature enough to see greatness or not, see this movie. And if you still rate it any below than 10... well, wait a couple of years and see itI think this movie is a test for sense of greatness. If you want to find out whether your mind is mature enough to see greatness or not, see this movie. And if you still rate it any below than 10... well, wait a couple of years and see it again. What if you grow... Expand
RichBlackSep 24, 2011
Cormac McCarthy's national bestseller help the coen brothers make their first and finest adaption. No Country For Old Men, the bloodiest hell ride that shows the horror of the notorious psychopath kilter, named Anton Chigurh. This madman soonCormac McCarthy's national bestseller help the coen brothers make their first and finest adaption. No Country For Old Men, the bloodiest hell ride that shows the horror of the notorious psychopath kilter, named Anton Chigurh. This madman soon chases this guy named llewelyn Moss, a Vietnam veteran who finds a truckload of mexican brown dope and a case filled with ten million dollars in cash, with dead bodies laying around him. So llewellyn tries to keep the ten million so his wife can have all that she needs, then thats when chigurh comes in. The man in back of the situation is Ed Tom Bell, an old sheriff thats new to these kind of crimes (hence the title of movie), with 1980s mexican border problems, much more murders happen.

These three men are never really filmed together throughout the movie, even though its a chase movie, but it shows how the creative mind of the coens put a unique their in there movie, which makes it not very visible to you. I've also heard that it stayed true to the book, and has set a great visual to it as well. The originality of this film definitely makes it a much watch, and its the bloodiest from the coens I've seen yet. Javier Bardem shows his skills in new type of work, being Chigurh. His creepy looks (mostly the haircut) shows that the character is insane, has no sense of humor, and no sense of compassion or regret. His weapons are as unique as him, being some strange air tank that shoots through locks, and this shotgon with a gigantic silencer, which probably makes most of the gore in the movie. Nobody can play a better role as Llewelyn than Josh Brolin. growing up as a country man made this role easy for him, just acting like himself will be perfect acting. Tommy Lee Jones plays sheriff Ed Tom Bell, which Jones also said that the character he was playing was a lot like him as well as Brolin, like some of the parts was just like a natural conversation to him. No Country For Old Men has inspired me in so many levels. A movie this original, could be one of the best. This movie is one of the best of the decade, very close to "There Will Be Blood", and thats one good compliment.
kevinhooksJan 20, 2013
"No Country for Old Men" is so well crafted in the way of a dark crime film, and the actors deserve plenty of merit on their parts, especially from the antagonist played by Javier Bardem.
Raven25Sep 20, 2014
Javier Bardem is terrifying, the plot is thrilling, the directing is engaging and the themese are thought provoking. I can't ask for more from a movie.
Scout523Jun 20, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of those movies where you really have to pay attention to what's going on in order to understand why the characters are doing what they are doing. Otherwise, you are going to be very confused. I was, too. Though, once I realized what was happening, the movie instantly got better. Javier Bardem, Tommy lee Jones and Josh Brolin are excellent in their roles. Bardem steals the show, Brolin is the hero, but Jones should have gotten more screen time. He was just simply that cop that's in a few scenes who's going after the bad guy, whereas the entire rest of the film is just the villain chasing the hero, plotting the hero's death (Brolin does die in this movie). Even though the ending is disappointing, the rest of the film is excellent. As can be expected with a movie with a psychopathic main villain, a lot of innocent people are killed in order for Bardem to get to Brolin, but it's kind of the point. Overall, despite a disappointing ending and some unnecessary deaths, this movie deserved to be the Oscar winner it was. Expand
jediboyOct 30, 2010
Draws the viewer in from the get-go and never lets up. Dark, atmospheric, tense and intense its almost **** worthy.

Central protagonist and antagonist are evenly matched, at least for the bulk of the film. Peripheral characters (Tommy Lee Jones, etc.) do a great job.

Before you watch, shake of all predeterminations, and let this movie entertain you fully.
horrorboyDec 31, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No Country for Old Men is an incredibly taut thrill ride. It starts off with Sheriff Ed Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) discussing to the audience the story about a 14 year old girl who was murdered by her teenage lover because of the fact that he had been in the state of killing someone for an enduring time. This really sets the mood for No Country for Old Men as Sheriff Bell quickly summarizes the evil that lies deep in our hearts, his voice is flat, calm, and delegate. This in turn he is able to grasp and pull in the audience to forebode what terror may lie ahead. Then we're able to witness a gruesome murder in the hands of Anton Chigurh, the antagonist. What's so strong about this whole opening act is that Bell analyzes the very true nature of mankind, and then we're able to witness it as a whole ourselves. This act is brilliant, truly brilliant. Jones delivers his small speech with such clarity and confidence that it all seems too real. The plot is mostly focused on the 3 main characters Sheriff Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones), Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin), and Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem). While hunting antelope in the Texan desert, Moss stumbles upon an unusual scene of a drug deal gone really wrong. There are a few scattered bodies everywhere and a dead dog. After finding at least a dozen kilos of drugs neatly placed in the back of a truck, Moss figures that the money is probably somewhere near. He makes his way from the site and finds a deceased man with a briefcase in his lap; the contents are 2 million dollars. Moss makes off with the money and leaves town. Chigurh, the most evil soul in films since Hannibal Lecter, tries to hunt down Moss at all costs to get the money back that he thinks is his own, Sheriff Bell is hot on the trail of both trying to hunt down Chigurh and trying to find Moss before Chigurh does. It sounds like a typical cat and mouse game but it really isn't. The Coen brothers formula works yet again and they are able to deliver a true one of a kind gem. The three main actors are simply flawless and amazing, Chigurh being the best villain since Hannibal Lecter, as said above. Jones is his normal self taking on a character that is broken and flawed and Brolin is simply dazzling. All three characters are intelligent, each depicting a different personality that exhibits each of their downfall later near the climax of the story. That saying, Chigurh is unbelievably evil, unbelievably obsessed with his prey, unbelievably haunting, and unbelievably funny. Never have I seen a character as creepy as Bardem's Chigurh that I have cringed and laughed at the same time, he is truly perfect. The many different shootouts that occur in the film either between Brolin and Bardem, or other characters alike, are mesmerizing at times. The quiet shots of the alleyway shootout between the two is astounding because the quietness leaves so much suspense that you're literally on the edge of your seat waiting for the next shot to be fired. That famous Coen dialogue is in here as well. There are key moments where it really comes to light, especially the gas station scene with Chigurh and the clerk he tries to play the fate of life with. The interactions between each character is flawless, they all display emotions, react to those emotions, and ultimately deliver a brilliant scene. What I think is the strongest part of the film, though, is about the last half hour. In that timespan we're able to see these 3 characters for who they really are and what their ultimate goal really is, though the predicaments they face make them fail ultimately and none of the trio really find and take what they were going for the entire time, and almost all three make away with something else entirely. What's great about that whole scene is that it leaves you to wonder after viewing how these characters fail. Could they have succeeded? Could they have crossed a fatal path with each other? Who knows, and this is what makes it all worth while and it makes you think long after. After many viewings its easy to spot the discrepancy of the characters and what makes them who they really are and you could easily spot the solutions that they could have accomplished in order to have succeeded in their quests. The ending is debatable of course but what's so achieving about it is that it ends abruptly, so abruptly like a smack to the face. It leaves you to wonder why it does that, why it ends on such a low depressing note that leaves you in darkness, and why it leaves you to decide wholefully. No Country for Old Men is a marvel to films, a simple masterpiece that pushes itself far beyond the other boundaries that other films have tried to accomplish. It's underrated in some aspects of course, mostly because of the ending but all in all it is a truly miraculous film that's simply flawless and simply astounding. It's a twisted story with beautiful moments that delves deep into the dark roots of human nature. Expand
jpwelsh101Dec 9, 2013
A flawless intense thriller that puts you on the edge of your seat throughout the whole darn film! The cinematography in this film is simply fantastic... the coens out did them self and in my opinion it is right up there w fargo maybe even better
InsanityOnABunDec 21, 2012
The complexity appears in simple tension, but is crafted so well and delivered so uniquely that the result is unusually amazing. In major plot points, this film is completely unpredictable, and its final statement pins on the title.
ksatchMar 5, 2013
Uma das melhores cenas de perseguição da história do cinema moderno, javier bardem está simplesmente assustador e sensacional. Brilhante história e atuações, filme para se ter em casa.
CaesaroctopusMay 2, 2015
No Country for Old Men is one of the best movies that I have ever seen. It manages to portray complex emotional themes while maintaining one of the most entertaining story-lines of any neo-Western (or any movie, for that matter) to date. ThisNo Country for Old Men is one of the best movies that I have ever seen. It manages to portray complex emotional themes while maintaining one of the most entertaining story-lines of any neo-Western (or any movie, for that matter) to date. This is the Coen Brothers at the top of their craft. Expand
BenHazeldenJan 23, 2015
This film is brilliant mainly because of the incredible character of Anton - the scariest maniac you could possibly meet. The acting is superb - this is one of those films that will leave you thinking in a daze. It will also give youThis film is brilliant mainly because of the incredible character of Anton - the scariest maniac you could possibly meet. The acting is superb - this is one of those films that will leave you thinking in a daze. It will also give you nightmares about cattle spikes.
10/10 - Ben Hazelden
krbcanJul 18, 2011
The best movie I have seen in years. The story was compelling and the acting was incredible. The story and plot is not that predictable like other Hollywood movies -- so I was entirely hooked while watching it. Very well done!
smithbhurricaneSep 9, 2012
If you don't like the ending you didn't understand the plot...
HrodwulfOct 1, 2010
My favorite movie. A misunderstood masterpiece. As complex as it is simple. As vague as it is clear. I have seen it eight times and it never gets old.
TeddyDSep 30, 2012
A near perfection. The Cohen Brothers clearly up'd their game before/whilst and after shooting this film. Superb cinematography, well adapted from the novel, and above all else, an incredible choice of cast. Javier Bardem's performance wasA near perfection. The Cohen Brothers clearly up'd their game before/whilst and after shooting this film. Superb cinematography, well adapted from the novel, and above all else, an incredible choice of cast. Javier Bardem's performance was perfectly terrifying and the use of unprecedented anti-climax's left me on the edge of my seat throughout. One of the best films to come out of 2007, if not, the best. Expand
FreeReviewerJan 5, 2014
No Country For Old Men is Coen Brothers' brilliant film adaptation of Cormac MacCarthy novel of the same name. It focuses on the three stories of Sheriff Ed Bell, played by Tommy Lee Jones, Anton Chigurh a psychopathic murderer, played byNo Country For Old Men is Coen Brothers' brilliant film adaptation of Cormac MacCarthy novel of the same name. It focuses on the three stories of Sheriff Ed Bell, played by Tommy Lee Jones, Anton Chigurh a psychopathic murderer, played by Javier Bardem, and Llewelyn Moss, a welder who had stumbled upon 2 million dollars worth of drug money, played by Josh Brolin.

The backbone of the plot itself has been used before but the slow pacing of the film allows the viewer to submerge themselves in the struggle of Jones and Brolin as they are hunted by and pursue Bardem's character. Bardem fabulously portrays Chigurh as an almost unpredictable yet rational killer intent on collecting the 2 million dollars collected by Brolin and killing anyone in his way. In one of his last scenes the viewer is allowed however to see a small amount of uncertain reasoning in how he kills.

The pacing, as well as excellent camerawork and sets creates a wonderful atmosphere in which the viewer can allow themselves to comfortably be submerged into while they enjoy this cinematic masterpiece.

In the end, this film can be enjoyed by all as long as they are patient enough to let a story be told.
Nicholash6321Jul 10, 2015
Brilliant acting and dialogue. It maintained a tense atmosphere throughout without mindless meandering violence but provided short bursts of ultra violence that moved the story along. It also presented one of the most chilling victims toBrilliant acting and dialogue. It maintained a tense atmosphere throughout without mindless meandering violence but provided short bursts of ultra violence that moved the story along. It also presented one of the most chilling victims to grace the silver screen. A great movie overall. Expand
henryesparzaSep 5, 2016
In order to truly be able to understand this film, you need to rewatch it one more time. Except this time, don't focus on Moss so much, you did so the first time. This time you need to focus on the Sheriff, Tommy Lee Jones' character. TheIn order to truly be able to understand this film, you need to rewatch it one more time. Except this time, don't focus on Moss so much, you did so the first time. This time you need to focus on the Sheriff, Tommy Lee Jones' character. The film revolves much around what Sheriff Ed Tom does and how he faces his demons, from the first narration of the movie to the last scene where he explains his dream. The villain portrayed by Bardem can never be matched, and the portrayal of the villain is what makes this movie as good as it is. Solid 9/10 for me. Expand
scartezzAug 12, 2013
It' s a very nice but also difficult film.
I watched it twice and I don't still understand everything.
It' s a very nice but also difficult film.
I watched it twice and I don't still understand everything.
The figure of Anton Chigurh is surely the most impressive. The crazy/foolish killer Chigurgh is in my opinion, the real protagonist of the film.

Everythig so rude and foolish, but PERFECT
SirOnion32May 28, 2013
Favorite movie of all time. Coen brothers are spot-on with suspenseful pacing, beautiful cinematography, and a simple story that gets its point across.
mwil236Aug 27, 2016
Unquestionable 10/10. The Coen Brothers fail to disappoint as usual. From Bardem's chilling portrayal of an uninhibited murderer down to the details even of the set, the characters work together perfectly. This is an amazing example ofUnquestionable 10/10. The Coen Brothers fail to disappoint as usual. From Bardem's chilling portrayal of an uninhibited murderer down to the details even of the set, the characters work together perfectly. This is an amazing example of what could almost be considered an anti-film: no substantial resolution, no resolution at all for some characters, just the viewer left with their perception of what might have been. Not for the faint of heart; a challenging movie because it refuses to spoon-feed you a classic hero-gets-the-girl or bad-guy-gets-caught stereotype. A film to be remembered. Expand
PerubiFeb 1, 2011
A great Coen movie. There's been a long time since I saw such an entertaining and at the same time, such a complex movie. Excellent direction work, insuperable interpretations and a superb script make this film a masterpiece; all on thisA great Coen movie. There's been a long time since I saw such an entertaining and at the same time, such a complex movie. Excellent direction work, insuperable interpretations and a superb script make this film a masterpiece; all on this movie is near to be perfect and it keeps you watching until it ends. Highly recommended to anybody. 9.0 Expand
Commanderkeen42Aug 13, 2011
This is easily one of my favorite films of all time. It's acting is superb, the cinematography the best I've ever seen, and deep. For those of you who don't care for the ending, it's never meant to have closure. This film is mysterious andThis is easily one of my favorite films of all time. It's acting is superb, the cinematography the best I've ever seen, and deep. For those of you who don't care for the ending, it's never meant to have closure. This film is mysterious and very open to interpretation. I saw this one day and watched it again the next day just to ponder its messages. I highly recommend this, but it's not a "sit-down-and-zone-out" movie. You need to keep a sharp eye. Expand
NatarajaAug 17, 2016
Gripping and intense from the opening moments to the end of the film. A masterpiece and perhaps the Coen Brothers best film ever. If you have an aversion to violence, this film is not for you. If you can see past it, then the movie becomesGripping and intense from the opening moments to the end of the film. A masterpiece and perhaps the Coen Brothers best film ever. If you have an aversion to violence, this film is not for you. If you can see past it, then the movie becomes unnerving and surreal. An amazing story with amazing acting and a superb script. Expand
GamerStreamMar 28, 2014
The movies was awesome with, Anton Chigurh (Bardem) and his awesome coin-tosser and, BANGG!!! I'm still wonder if other film/movies can be like this. I'm honestly wasn't expected to see the novels could be brought to the big screen.
hoseinOct 4, 2013
I think this movie is one of the best movies I have ever seen. directors of this movie are my favorite directors.this movie has directed, written and acted very well.
TkimGUYOct 19, 2013
One of my favorite movies. Excellent casting may have been the biggest pluses for it. Some are dissatisfied with the final 20 minutes or so of the movie, but it worked for me after giving it time to settle for lack of a better phrase.
TomB.Feb 20, 2008
Awesome film, a great re-visit of the Coens first naive masterpiece (Blood Simple) combined with all their work since. The scenery and cinematography are magnificent, and the character development is pitch-perfect. Thosee characters that Awesome film, a great re-visit of the Coens first naive masterpiece (Blood Simple) combined with all their work since. The scenery and cinematography are magnificent, and the character development is pitch-perfect. Thosee characters that demand development get it, and those that must remain a mystery are haunting. I did not read the book so I have no idea what the story was "supposed" to be, but the screenplay stands by itself as a complex, absorbing, mysterious, and ultimately satisfying tale. Not satisfying in the sense that all the circles were closed, by any means, by satisfying in that it made you think and enjoy doing your thinking. The actors' performances were spot on, and everything techincal about the movie was near-perfect. Expand
NebojsaN.Mar 4, 2008
Reading the reviews, there seems to be a clear divide between those who require their movie experience to be one where they can turn off their brains, go on autopilot and be spoonfed a neat little predictable package, and those who are bored Reading the reviews, there seems to be a clear divide between those who require their movie experience to be one where they can turn off their brains, go on autopilot and be spoonfed a neat little predictable package, and those who are bored by this approach and instead appreciate something with more depth and theme. The poor reviews, almost without exception, complain about gratuitous violence, the early demise of the protagonist and especially the ending, which they perceive as a non-ending. In my opinion, the ending was perfect and brought home the whole point of the movie. Any other "neat" ending that some folks seem to crave would have made this a completely different kind of movie - a movie of cheap, gratuitous violence - and I'm sure they would have loved it. Basically, if you need everything spelled out for you in obvious, simplistic terms - you will hate this movie. Most everyone else will love it. Expand
3 of 5 users found this helpful
JasonJApr 8, 2008
The review from the Onion gets it right in its tag-line above: ''NCFOM reminds us that civilization is the aberration'; ugliness and evil are the norm in our world. That said: What if the film had a conventional ending, aThe review from the Onion gets it right in its tag-line above: ''NCFOM reminds us that civilization is the aberration'; ugliness and evil are the norm in our world. That said: What if the film had a conventional ending, a shootout between Brolin and Chigurgh; and one of them got the money-- or perhaps neither of them? The film would likely have resolved with a formulaic 'what is good?, what is evi? 'motif, probably thinking enough for most filmgoers. But that doesn't happen, and we are left with something much more difficult (or impossible) to digest. Jones will endure, like his father leading the way through the cold mountain pass, bearing the struggling, sputtering light into the unknown, into nothingness. And when our time comes, like Brolin's does (and Jones's will soon), none of us will see it coming. And the result? The world, with its default setting for ugliness, will continue to turn, unconcerned with us, or with our notions of good or evil and our struggles to define or contain either. And that's the message-- and it's bleak, no doubt. The film's draw for critics and other thinkers is this message, however; and it is precisely because it is far more sophisticated than a freshman philosophy resolution that would have left us questioning the nature of good and evil;or, heaven forbid, an ending that would have entailed the death of Chigurgh, the credits rolling on a final shot of a millionaire Brolin and his wife sipping Margaritas on a Mexican beach. The film's message is indeed nihilist, perhaps beyond nihilist; and it's great in the way that Macbeth is great, and for many of the same reasons. Expand
TonyB.May 1, 2008
Great film. Acting was incredible the story line was superb. I hate people commenting on the ending, the ending was extremly well done, it was how the story was supposed to end.
1 of 3 users found this helpful
ChristosMSep 4, 2009
There's a fragile allegory lurking behind the scenes of this so called,alternative western and it's that of a human world loosing it's humanity,drifting away from values and ideals,surrendering to the fascinating corruption of There's a fragile allegory lurking behind the scenes of this so called,alternative western and it's that of a human world loosing it's humanity,drifting away from values and ideals,surrendering to the fascinating corruption of money,violence and lust of power.In this pitch-dark universe of vulgarity,killers like Anton Chigurh rule supreme and the few humane existences left,like Sheriff Llewelyn Moss,struggle to proove humanity's evil urges are not native and spontaneous,though facts tend to proove them wrong.Hollywood endings have no space in such films! Expand
2 of 4 users found this helpful
DevinN.Dec 2, 2007
Isn't it great that when people complain about this movie, it usually involves disdain at how well its rated? Excellent theme, excellent execution, brilliant film.
AndrewJohnmeyerDec 7, 2007
Unsatisfactory resolution? Unclear plot and character motivations? Only if you are incapable of thinking for yourself. This is not a movie that everyone will like (obviously) but it is a fantastic movie for those who are willing to think Unsatisfactory resolution? Unclear plot and character motivations? Only if you are incapable of thinking for yourself. This is not a movie that everyone will like (obviously) but it is a fantastic movie for those who are willing to think about what they've just seen. One of the strongest points of this film is the sound/music editing, notably the strong role of silence in sound//music editing in the film. In the absence of the usual barrage of sound, every click, scuff, and shuffle take on an unrivaled immediacy. Expand
5 of 6 users found this helpful
CoreyH.Jan 12, 2008
Umm... haven't seen it. I would, however, like to point out, that your prediction was completely wrong, M G. The film did exceptionally well at the box-office. Just because you didn't like it, don't assume that other people, Umm... haven't seen it. I would, however, like to point out, that your prediction was completely wrong, M G. The film did exceptionally well at the box-office. Just because you didn't like it, don't assume that other people, who actually think when they watch a movie, won't. Expand
0 of 5 users found this helpful
KH.Feb 10, 2008
The story works at a few levels and some folks were only looking at the basic plot and hence disliked the compressed narrative near the end. Some stories concern themselves with more than just the relating of plot. This movie is one of the The story works at a few levels and some folks were only looking at the basic plot and hence disliked the compressed narrative near the end. Some stories concern themselves with more than just the relating of plot. This movie is one of the more complicated movies. If you're looking for shooting action with a bad guy and a hero, you'll be disappointed and give this movie a low score. Expand
7 of 8 users found this helpful
LindaSFeb 16, 2008
My heart was in my throat from the very beginning of this movie and stayed there til the end. This was a definite Coen Bros. movie and possibly their best one yet. The fear that Bardem projected through the entire movie was so gripping that My heart was in my throat from the very beginning of this movie and stayed there til the end. This was a definite Coen Bros. movie and possibly their best one yet. The fear that Bardem projected through the entire movie was so gripping that it needs to be seen twice - the monologues of Tommy Lee Jones (Sheriff Bell) were priceless - gave you the feeling that he was making them up trying to escape the overwhelming situation that was happening and he was helpless to correct it. Collapse
TylerC.Feb 6, 2008
The Coen Brother's second perfect film. Acting, direction, cinematography, all exact.
JoyceC.Mar 2, 2008
After reading most of the reviews given here, people start yapping about how crappy the ending was. Well, from my opinion, I thought the ending was neat. I overhear people walking out of the theatre saying, "where did the oscars come from.." After reading most of the reviews given here, people start yapping about how crappy the ending was. Well, from my opinion, I thought the ending was neat. I overhear people walking out of the theatre saying, "where did the oscars come from.." or "that ending was awful." Well what did you expect, for Ed Tom Bell to catch Chigurh and arrest him and happily ever after. The ending of the film would basically end how it would in real life because people have to realize that the bad guy doesn't always win. And it was kind of strange, but people who hated the ending won't shutup about the fact that the film didn't turn out how you expected. Well, the Coen brothers surprise us with a weird ending. Do you think that the movie should've been neatly wrapped up with an expected ending? Apparently no, the Coen brothers ended it how it would in real life which was kind of cool from my point of view. I thought No Country was a very good movie with suspenseful moments and an exciting premice. It's neat how the title fits in with the story how its no country for old men. Though in the end, you actually cared about the characters and overall, No Country for Old Men was definitely worth my day. Expand
LeibnizMar 30, 2008
A real thriller. The actors and the director did a great job. Why a 7? The ending was like "Let Anton Chigurh decide what happens next".
KLMar 7, 2008
Not a bad film, and since the film seems to be a faithful adaption of the novel then the actual ending couldn't change. It is a subtle ending which, to some that might have got gripped by the Chigurh Vs Moss scenes may have got lost on, Not a bad film, and since the film seems to be a faithful adaption of the novel then the actual ending couldn't change. It is a subtle ending which, to some that might have got gripped by the Chigurh Vs Moss scenes may have got lost on, the film's opening lines spoken by Sherriff Tom Bell are crucial, but I can reasonable imagine that after 2 and a half hours most viewers would be a pains to remember what was said! That aside the film was well made but not quite the perfect film that some here have held it up to be. There are a few plot holds and scenes which didn't make much sence and wouldn't really happen in reality although this could be a critism of the writer of the original novel. Spoilers: Why did Moss go back with water to the injured man in the truck? Assuming that he did manage to survive after Moss left him, water alone wouldn't save the man. When the Chigurh come calling on Moss, why did Moss, a man that goes hunting not take some sort of cover or different position rather than sit squarely oin the bed so that Chigurh wouldn't be able to get a clean shot off first? Woody Haroldson's character also seemed to be rather pointless. Moss's off screen demise was truely anticlimatic having followed the guy's trials for much of the movie. Was this decision to do Moss death offscreen just done in that manner just to be different and suprising... perhaps but it still was very anticlimatical all the same. In conclusion No Country For Old Men was good but could have been better. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
FlorianW.Mar 8, 2008
A stunning piece of cinema, personally, I think it's one of the best movies of the decade. The superb acting, to the minimalist, yet deep narrative that forced you to watch it mindfully and last but not least the immense amount of A stunning piece of cinema, personally, I think it's one of the best movies of the decade. The superb acting, to the minimalist, yet deep narrative that forced you to watch it mindfully and last but not least the immense amount of symbolism and deeper meaning elevate it to heights I thought unreachable for today's mainstream cinema. The ending was superb, it got my mind racing, even if most questions were answered more or less. The final 20 minutes were far from boring either, the insights into Chigurh's fatalistic mindset, establishing his role as a quasi-angel-of-vengeance as well as the role of greed in the movie thrilled me. Highly recommended, even if I can't guarantee you'll like it - but that's how it is with art, it is discourse put into form. Where entertainment tries to please the masses, art seeks to challenge the mind. Expand
2 of 3 users found this helpful