7.5

1. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    No Country for Old Men was an amazing adaptation of the book by Cormac McCarthy. (I've actually read the book. That's why I can say that) The story was great, and the actors were extraordinary (mainly Javier Bardem).
  2. Jun 22, 2014
    No Country for Old Men should go down as a masterpiece. It has the perfect mixture of terror, depth, intensity and subtlety. The film is powerful, suspenseful and really makes you contemplate about the state of our present-day society. The Coens shot the film beautifully. Every image is a delicious meal for the eye. Javier Bardem -magnificent as always really steps up his game here, so does Tommy Lee Jones. This is the Coen's best since "Fargo". Expand
  3. Apr 29, 2014
    Sinister, brutal and in possession of an abundance of lines to read between, 'No Country for Old Men' is a modern day masterpiece from the boots of it's cinematography right up to the Stetson of typically multi dimensional, Coen characterisation. I will no longer feel safe behind a locked door having witnessed the now, iconic realisation of Anton Chigurh.
  4. Apr 22, 2014
    I love this movie, with a cat-and-mouse theme, and some violance concept of Anton Chigurh. Some movies can't be better with the effect of the surprise elements, but this, this is some awesome 5H1+ to watched!
  5. Mar 28, 2014
    The movies was awesome with, Anton Chigurh (Bardem) and his awesome coin-tosser and, BANGG!!! I'm still wonder if other film/movies can be like this. I'm honestly wasn't expected to see the novels could be brought to the big screen.
  6. Feb 9, 2014
    Absolutely outstanding! The acting is spot on in all parts. It's magnificently written and manages to shock you and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. At the same time the writing manages to show many different walks of life in a heavily realistic fashion. The writing also amazing show cases the character progression of the villain, played by Javier Bardem and his performance solidifies his character as possibly one of the most memorable movie characters of all time. This film is a must watch plain and simple. Expand
  7. Jan 25, 2014
    In this film we get to see the Coen brothers' version of a true psychopath. We follow two story lines until they converge and become one. Chigurh (Javier Bardem) is a lunatic who has no conscience whatsoever. Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) is the man who we root for, even though he is far from being a saint. But the fact that he doesn't kill people over nothing certainly gives him an edge over his opponents in gaining our sympathy.

Moss finds a ridiculous amount of money in the desert and decides to keep it. Two sets of sides then follow him around the country as he outwits them at every step. Chigurh is called in and joins the chase, but he has his own agenda, which is to say none that can be understood by a sane man. Needless to say, we get to see a whole lot of shootouts and deaths and close calls.

Chigurh was the most enduring character from the bunch. He has two weapons he puts to deadly use at every occasion. A psychopath in every sense of the word, he looks for quarrels in nothing that would suggest to offend a normal person.

Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) is an aging sheriff. He quips and jokes with a poker face. I thoroughly enjoyed his peculiar sense of humour. Always trying to do the right thing, he feels that he isn't upto the task of apprehending these criminals who have suddenly decided to make the territory under his jurisdiction their battlefield. The title of the movie is probably about him.

There were more than a few memorable scenes of violence and gore. The art direction depicted the time splendidly with the costume and cars and cafes. The cinematography captured the beautiful bleak landscape of the southern wilderness with finesse. The open plains and deserts certainly felt like a character unto itself.

The first hour and a half nailed the action, suspense and dialogue with a craftsman's precision, and had not one scene that threatened to slow the pace. Despite the entertaining pace, every one of the main characters was well developed and distinct. The gunfights seemed realistic. People actually got injured and had no ability to dodge the bullets. There were a few scenes with conversations reflecting upon the changing times in terms of the violence being perpetrated. Some of the older audience may have felt nostalgic for a bit around this time. The film had the quality that takes the viewers imperceptibly from scene to scene.

I've always wondered how action sequences would feel like without supporting score to pump our adrenaline, and relying solely on content. They felt raw and genuine. Coen brothers showed us how they should be done. But if I made a film, I would have some music in the scenes about reflection and resolution.

Unlike the other great films in the genre of crime/thriller, this one chose to show what was happening only during the present. There was literally no transtion of time. In that it was like Raiders of the Lost Ark. But that movie had an extended cop-out ending.

The minute the main story ends abruptly, we move into a five minute interlude which felt forced and left me restless. There were no visible stakes and instead there were some conversations that were kind of conclusory remarks about what had taken place before. Everything before this had me absorbed in the narrative and that scene had nothing to do with anything that we were already shown. As the pacing was breakneck before this, some of the audience may have felt it to be more dragging even when the film returns to the main story. The extraction of a message or theme should be left entirely to the audience. I would have respected the Coens a lot more if they had the sense to know what should be left out. But since that scene wasn't long, I won't be harsh. But this blunder in editing took away from the strengths of the movie and thus the film failed to leave a lasting impression. The last scene was retainable but forgettable.
  8. Jan 16, 2014
    A blunt, almost blatant tale of why you should never run from those chasing you. A gritty and oddly pragmatic tale that slowly drifts (which many consider the film's taciturn banality) into an aberration of the era and the situation. Acted out beautifully, mostly by the man of many roles, and hairstyles, Javier Bardem. With the amount of graphic violence that is ultimately timed right, the Coen brothers have once made a film that, for me personally, cannot be banal or dreary in the slightest, but the absolute opposite. Expand
  9. Jan 16, 2014
    No Country For Old Men is exhilaratingly brilliant, with raw and to-the-point dialogue that makes the transitions of scenes smooth. The cinematography is excellent, and the plot is exciting. Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones, and and Javier Bodem are excellent in this film, and captivate you with their performances.
  10. Jan 5, 2014
    No Country For Old Men is Coen Brothers' brilliant film adaptation of Cormac MacCarthy novel of the same name. It focuses on the three stories of Sheriff Ed Bell, played by Tommy Lee Jones, Anton Chigurh a psychopathic murderer, played by Javier Bardem, and Llewelyn Moss, a welder who had stumbled upon 2 million dollars worth of drug money, played by Josh Brolin.

The backbone of the
    plot itself has been used before but the slow pacing of the film allows the viewer to submerge themselves in the struggle of Jones and Brolin as they are hunted by and pursue Bardem's character. Bardem fabulously portrays Chigurh as an almost unpredictable yet rational killer intent on collecting the 2 million dollars collected by Brolin and killing anyone in his way. In one of his last scenes the viewer is allowed however to see a small amount of uncertain reasoning in how he kills.

The pacing, as well as excellent camerawork and sets creates a wonderful atmosphere in which the viewer can allow themselves to comfortably be submerged into while they enjoy this cinematic masterpiece.

In the end, this film can be enjoyed by all as long as they are patient enough to let a story be told.
  11. Dec 9, 2013
    A flawless intense thriller that puts you on the edge of your seat throughout the whole darn film! The cinematography in this film is simply fantastic... the coens out did them self and in my opinion it is right up there w fargo maybe even better
  12. Nov 25, 2013
    The America was marked by bloodshed, was sometimes accurate and sometimes totally useless form, were always involved power and money somehow, the book by Cormac M. portrays it interesting and visceral way, the same can be said of the Cohen brothers movie that captures the competitive spirit of Americans and brutal when it puts money in the game, but the most interesting are the performances of Javier B. and Tommy L. Jones that capture impressively (especially Bardem) the state of its characters, which explains all the euphoria that critics have with this film. Expand
  13. Oct 19, 2013
    One of my favorite movies. Excellent casting may have been the biggest pluses for it. Some are dissatisfied with the final 20 minutes or so of the movie, but it worked for me after giving it time to settle for lack of a better phrase.
  14. Oct 4, 2013
    I think this movie is one of the best movies I have ever seen. directors of this movie are my favorite directors.this movie has directed, written and acted very well.
  15. Aug 28, 2013
    A masterpiece. The quality of the acting, as well as the outstanding directing by the Coen brothers, propel the film from initially being a mere adaptation of a successful novel to becoming an absolute classic, that garnered the approval of most viewers and was met with universal critical acclaim. Besides, the well-deserved Oscar win properly rewards the brilliant overall directing career of the Coens. Eventually, one cannot watch the movie without being fascinated by the stately performance of Javier Bardem, who perfectly embodies a ruthless lunatic bounty hunter, to such an extent that every viewer will ultimately reminisce the disqueting character of Anton Chigurh. Expand
  16. Aug 17, 2013
    In my mind, the greatest movie of all time (Better than Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, all of them). NCFOM explores humans in a way that no other film can. It shows us why people do what they do. It addresses how fate, and how things out of our control, can affect our lives. It comes the closest that any movie has come to showing us the true meaning of life. There is no definite meaning of life: We are all here, doing things, talking to people, participating in activities; we are all simply living. And this film comes the closest to showing us why. As a film itself, it has terrific acting, especially from Javier Bardem, a terrific script, and dark, suspenseful tone that keeps you on edge the entire time. As a piece of art, it is inferior to none. The greatest movie ever made, in my opinion. Expand
  17. Aug 12, 2013
    It' s a very nice but also difficult film.
    I watched it twice and I don't still understand everything.
    The figure of Anton Chigurh is surely the most impressive. The crazy/foolish killer Chigurgh is in my opinion, the real protagonist of the film.

Everythig so rude and foolish, but PERFECT
  18. Jul 2, 2013
    Los hermanos Coen lograron conseguir esta película fantásticamente hecha...............................................................................
  19. May 28, 2013
    Favorite movie of all time. Coen brothers are spot-on with suspenseful pacing, beautiful cinematography, and a simple story that gets its point across.
  20. Apr 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite an abrupt ending, this movie is a fantastic masterpiece from the Coen Brothers. Beautifully shot, superb acting (particularly from Javier Bardem in an Academy Award winning role), and a fast, suspenseful pace, this is story telling at its best. Expand
  21. Mar 10, 2013
    When it comes to great moving films that hook you up from the beginning to end, The Coen Brothers have it all. No Country For Old Men is so good you will clap at the climax, you will remember this movie for the rest of your life.
  22. Mar 10, 2013
    The Coen brothers provide one of the most strongest films ever. It provides awesome performances and extremely thrilling murderous suspense that makes the film suceed on all levels. Its by far the best direction that the Coen brothers have ever done in their spectacular career.
  23. Mar 5, 2013
    Uma das melhores cenas de perseguição da história do cinema moderno, javier bardem está simplesmente assustador e sensacional. Brilhante história e atuações, filme para se ter em casa.
  24. Jan 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have a problem with almost all of the reviews on the site from critics to users. This movie is a philosophical exercise and like most philosophy needs to be critically evaluated multiple times before an adequate understanding can be achieved. The movie is about the conflict between natural uncertainty and the human desire for certainty. The villain (Bardem) uses his knowledge of these facts to his advantage throughout the movie, i.e. flipping coins to determine outcomes with the intention of making his actions seem random, and at a meta level ends up falling into the the human fallacy of certainty. Once the viewer realizes this it is obvious the Cohen brothers tailor the final 30 minutes of the movie to reinforce the fact that no one has full control. The conversation with Moss's wife illustrates his situation perfectly. He does not need to kill her. He feels compelled by his method to carry out the process to his predetermined end. She refuses to play into his false belief that he is the master of this anarchy and points out the fact that he is there by his own choice. After the house he gets injured in a car accident reinforcing his lack of control. This ties in perfectly with the final scenes with Jones from the conversation with the old deputy to the final scene with his wife. In his dream he feels comfortable on his own because he knows his father will be there when needed. Then he woke up. Watch the movie a few more times and you will realize a multitude of interactions and conversations that are there to enrich this message. I love movies like this because the replay value is endless. Expand
  25. Jan 20, 2013
    "No Country for Old Men" is so well crafted in the way of a dark crime film, and the actors deserve plenty of merit on their parts, especially from the antagonist played by Javier Bardem.
  26. Jan 17, 2013
    One of the best movie ever made. Very nice story with some of the best actors. Amazing movie!
  27. Jan 8, 2013
    Powerful, stunning, horrific, it must be another Coen movie!
    The Coen brothers pull the concept of this film off so well that it was more intense to see Tommy Lee Jones anxiety when approaching a crime scene than actually seeing any of said occurrence actually happen.

Another notable scene within the film is when Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem)walks into a gas station and responds to the shop
  28. Jan 5, 2013
    This is actually one of the best book adaptions ever. It's almost impossible to tell a story accurately with such little dialogues and without a narrator voice, but the Coen brothers accomplished it fantastically. A perfect cast till minor roles and Javier Bardem makes one of the best film villains of all time! The style of the film is absolutely unique and the mixture of western, thriller and satire is excellent. The ending is realistic and leaves a couple of questions open, which makes you think a lot about the film afterwards. Everything seems sophisticated, even how scenes succeed on one another and that's what is so fantastic about this movie. Everything that happens in No Country For Old Men keeps your eyes peeled on the TV screen, even if it's just normal dialogue. I.e. the showdown between Chigurh and Moss, which is one of the most thrilling scenes I've seen lately or the Chigurh's conversation with the gas station proprietor which is absolutely awesome. The screenplay, the direction and Javier Bardem totally deserved the Oscar. There were better movies in 2006 but this flick is a very favorable tale about bad people that is both confusing and stunning. Expand
  29. Dec 21, 2012
    The complexity appears in simple tension, but is crafted so well and delivered so uniquely that the result is unusually amazing. In major plot points, this film is completely unpredictable, and its final statement pins on the title.
  30. Nov 11, 2012
    The beauty of this movie is the simplicity. One guy has the suitcase full of money, other guy wants the suitcase full of money and so begins a chase interwoven with a hurricane of tension. Just watching the creativity with which these two characters try to best one another is enthralling in itself. The entire movie is slow, quiet and irresistible. Great acting and brilliant directing. Overall, I would describe No Country for Old Men as a dark and sinister pleasure. Expand
  31. Nov 10, 2012
    Cohen movies have been misunderstood for years..some people find them to boring or to hard to follow (millers crossing). I think they are marvelous and extremely witty, filled with some the most realistic characters you could want in a movie. They also do not end in happy cheery ways or tight hollywood endings that may hint at sequel. This one of my favorites right behind millers crossing..which is i believe one the best movies ever made. Expand
  32. Oct 10, 2012
    The finest work by the Cohen Brothers, No Country for Old Men is brutal, violent, truthful, and one hell of a ride. The acting is beyond superb, the editing and cinematography are some of the best I have ever seen, and Javier Bardem is the new Hannibal Lector as the film's nightmarish villain, Anton Chigurh. For those negative reviews you see (notice only on the user column, mind you), they are all from people that are looking for something directed by Michael Bay and require no thought process whatsoever. Even if the ending requires some out-of-theatre interpretation, see this movie. It's one that going down with some of the best in film history. Expand
  33. Sep 9, 2012
    If you don't like the ending you didn't understand the plot...
  34. Jun 1, 2012
    No Country for Old Men is the best Coen Brothers movie since Fargo. The highlight of the movie is the amazing cast, particularly Javier Bardem as the ruthless killer Anton Chigurh. His haircut alone will give you nightmares. Then there is the always great Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson, and Kelly McDonald. But this is more than just a showcase of great acting, it is a technical masterpiece with amazing sound effects and film editing that really maximizes intensity and suspense. The story is one that has been told a thousand times before, but it's never been told quite like this. It doesn't follow the typical mold of a get away film. The good guys don't always win, and the bad guy doesn't always find justice. Furthermore, No Country has one of the best film endings of all time, even if others often claim it is anticlimactic or whatever it is they accuse it of being. I won't spoil the ending, but it fits perfectly and it has an allegorical meaning that really ties the whole movie together. Expand
  35. May 25, 2012
    "No Country for Old Men" is a close to perfect film and one of the Coens' best films in a while. They can be darkly funny at times, laugh out loud hilarious other times, and SRS BSNS other times.
  36. Apr 3, 2012
    No country for old men is a thrilling film with an ending that will either disapoint or complete this masterfully made film. I am in the middle on the end but i cannot dismiss it because all the things that came previous in the film.
  37. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, this is a 10 out of 10. It's an amazing masterpiece. Acting is amazing. Everyone gives Oscar worthy performances. There's not that much music but that adds to the intensity, and when there is, it's great. The story is phenomical. Its so intense and you just want to stay around to see what'll happen next. Overall, this is a masterpiece. No country for old men is a great thriller, great western, and a even better movie. This is highly recommended for anyone wanting to watch a good movie. Expand
  38. Dec 26, 2011
    I will never understand how any guy doesn't love this movie. Unless you're an idiot, of course __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________- Expand
  39. Sep 24, 2011
    Cormac McCarthy's national bestseller help the coen brothers make their first and finest adaption. No Country For Old Men, the bloodiest hell ride that shows the horror of the notorious psychopath kilter, named Anton Chigurh. This madman soon chases this guy named llewelyn Moss, a Vietnam veteran who finds a truckload of mexican brown dope and a case filled with ten million dollars in cash, with dead bodies laying around him. So llewellyn tries to keep the ten million so his wife can have all that she needs, then thats when chigurh comes in. The man in back of the situation is Ed Tom Bell, an old sheriff thats new to these kind of crimes (hence the title of movie), with 1980s mexican border problems, much more murders happen.

These three men are never really filmed together throughout the movie, even though its a chase movie, but it shows how the creative mind of the coens put a unique their in there movie, which makes it not very visible to you. I've also heard that it stayed true to the book, and has set a great visual to it as well. The originality of this film definitely makes it a much watch, and its the bloodiest from the coens I've seen yet. Javier Bardem shows his skills in new type of work, being Chigurh. His creepy looks (mostly the haircut) shows that the character is insane, has no sense of humor, and no sense of compassion or regret. His weapons are as unique as him, being some strange air tank that shoots through locks, and this shotgon with a gigantic silencer, which probably makes most of the gore in the movie. Nobody can play a better role as Llewelyn than Josh Brolin. growing up as a country man made this role easy for him, just acting like himself will be perfect acting. Tommy Lee Jones plays sheriff Ed Tom Bell, which Jones also said that the character he was playing was a lot like him as well as Brolin, like some of the parts was just like a natural conversation to him. No Country For Old Men has inspired me in so many levels. A movie this original, could be one of the best. This movie is one of the best of the decade, very close to "There Will Be Blood", and thats one good compliment.
  40. Sep 19, 2011
    The Coen Brothers did it again; "No Country for Old Men" proceeds its way to the oscars as a quiet, deep movie that strikes the core of tension, a true masterpiece.
  41. Aug 13, 2011
    This is easily one of my favorite films of all time. It's acting is superb, the cinematography the best I've ever seen, and deep. For those of you who don't care for the ending, it's never meant to have closure. This film is mysterious and very open to interpretation. I saw this one day and watched it again the next day just to ponder its messages. I highly recommend this, but it's not a "sit-down-and-zone-out" movie. You need to keep a sharp eye. Expand
  42. Jul 18, 2011
    The best movie I have seen in years. The story was compelling and the acting was incredible. The story and plot is not that predictable like other Hollywood movies -- so I was entirely hooked while watching it. Very well done!
  43. Jun 28, 2011
    Having just wasted 2 hours watching No Country for old men I have to say that this was the most disappointing film I have ever watched. I wanted to like it and was intrigued for the first hour or so. The ending however was the biggest disappointment I can describe, far too many loose ends not explained and ultimately unsatisfactory!
  44. Feb 4, 2011
    A truely unique movie. An effective thriller and much more besides. Visually a joy. Perfect casting for the three male leads. Has the stamp of the Coen Bros: gentle humor slipping underneath great drama (and great violence).
  45. Feb 1, 2011
    A great Coen movie. There's been a long time since I saw such an entertaining and at the same time, such a complex movie. Excellent direction work, insuperable interpretations and a superb script make this film a masterpiece; all on this movie is near to be perfect and it keeps you watching until it ends. Highly recommended to anybody. 9.0
  46. Dec 31, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No Country for Old Men is an incredibly taut thrill ride. It starts off with Sheriff Ed Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) discussing to the audience the story about a 14 year old girl who was murdered by her teenage lover because of the fact that he had been in the state of killing someone for an enduring time. This really sets the mood for No Country for Old Men as Sheriff Bell quickly summarizes the evil that lies deep in our hearts, his voice is flat, calm, and delegate. This in turn he is able to grasp and pull in the audience to forebode what terror may lie ahead. Then we're able to witness a gruesome murder in the hands of Anton Chigurh, the antagonist. What's so strong about this whole opening act is that Bell analyzes the very true nature of mankind, and then we're able to witness it as a whole ourselves. This act is brilliant, truly brilliant. Jones delivers his small speech with such clarity and confidence that it all seems too real. The plot is mostly focused on the 3 main characters Sheriff Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones), Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin), and Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem). While hunting antelope in the Texan desert, Moss stumbles upon an unusual scene of a drug deal gone really wrong. There are a few scattered bodies everywhere and a dead dog. After finding at least a dozen kilos of drugs neatly placed in the back of a truck, Moss figures that the money is probably somewhere near. He makes his way from the site and finds a deceased man with a briefcase in his lap; the contents are 2 million dollars. Moss makes off with the money and leaves town. Chigurh, the most evil soul in films since Hannibal Lecter, tries to hunt down Moss at all costs to get the money back that he thinks is his own, Sheriff Bell is hot on the trail of both trying to hunt down Chigurh and trying to find Moss before Chigurh does. It sounds like a typical cat and mouse game but it really isn't. The Coen brothers formula works yet again and they are able to deliver a true one of a kind gem. The three main actors are simply flawless and amazing, Chigurh being the best villain since Hannibal Lecter, as said above. Jones is his normal self taking on a character that is broken and flawed and Brolin is simply dazzling. All three characters are intelligent, each depicting a different personality that exhibits each of their downfall later near the climax of the story. That saying, Chigurh is unbelievably evil, unbelievably obsessed with his prey, unbelievably haunting, and unbelievably funny. Never have I seen a character as creepy as Bardem's Chigurh that I have cringed and laughed at the same time, he is truly perfect. The many different shootouts that occur in the film either between Brolin and Bardem, or other characters alike, are mesmerizing at times. The quiet shots of the alleyway shootout between the two is astounding because the quietness leaves so much suspense that you're literally on the edge of your seat waiting for the next shot to be fired. That famous Coen dialogue is in here as well. There are key moments where it really comes to light, especially the gas station scene with Chigurh and the clerk he tries to play the fate of life with. The interactions between each character is flawless, they all display emotions, react to those emotions, and ultimately deliver a brilliant scene. What I think is the strongest part of the film, though, is about the last half hour. In that timespan we're able to see these 3 characters for who they really are and what their ultimate goal really is, though the predicaments they face make them fail ultimately and none of the trio really find and take what they were going for the entire time, and almost all three make away with something else entirely. What's great about that whole scene is that it leaves you to wonder after viewing how these characters fail. Could they have succeeded? Could they have crossed a fatal path with each other? Who knows, and this is what makes it all worth while and it makes you think long after. After many viewings its easy to spot the discrepancy of the characters and what makes them who they really are and you could easily spot the solutions that they could have accomplished in order to have succeeded in their quests. The ending is debatable of course but what's so achieving about it is that it ends abruptly, so abruptly like a smack to the face. It leaves you to wonder why it does that, why it ends on such a low depressing note that leaves you in darkness, and why it leaves you to decide wholefully. No Country for Old Men is a marvel to films, a simple masterpiece that pushes itself far beyond the other boundaries that other films have tried to accomplish. It's underrated in some aspects of course, mostly because of the ending but all in all it is a truly miraculous film that's simply flawless and simply astounding. It's a twisted story with beautiful moments that delves deep into the dark roots of human nature. Expand
  47. Dec 24, 2010
    Absolutely amazing film. This was probably the first movie that ever actually affected me in a big way. Perfect casting, amazing performance from Javier and a perfect use of pretty much no musical score whatsoever. It's a western, but not the type of western I had expected. So different from any other film I had ever seen before it, I really was blown away by the amazing direction. This is the type of movie I love. It isn't really moved along with action and suspense (though it has plenty of both), but by character interaction and dialogue. Potentially the best western of all time. Expand
  48. Dec 22, 2010
    Some reasons why this movie is great... that the haters just seem to utterly miss. a) Superb cinematography focused on a bleak southern landscape that easily reflects the movie's naturalistic theme b) Motifs such as different portrayals of money determining fate c) Pithy dialogue in which the Coens' derive cornpone wisdom out of people who have seen too much (love the scene with the two retired lawmen in the desert shack near the end) d) Tommy Lee Jones, all wrinkled and angst-ridden about the state of the world when he should be looking forward to retirement. e) lots more but you can read critics reviews to find out what those reasons are. I'm not prone to giving out 10s unless something deserves it. I've seen this three times and it's as perfect as movies come. Some of the haters here are just downright pretentious while others really are too dumb to get a great piece of film making like this. Expand
  49. Oct 30, 2010
    Draws the viewer in from the get-go and never lets up. Dark, atmospheric, tense and intense its almost **** worthy.

Central protagonist and antagonist are evenly matched, at least for the bulk of the film. Peripheral characters (Tommy Lee Jones, etc.) do a great job.

Before you watch, shake of all predeterminations, and let this movie entertain you fully.
  50. Oct 14, 2010
    No Country For Old Men follows an antelope hunter, a man named Llewlyn Moss, who stumbles on a drug deal gone bad and takes a satchel stuffed full of money (Around two million dollars overall.) and from there on is relentlessly hunted down by Mexican criminals and a ruthless assassin named Anton Chigurh. Now, this might sound almost like a thin story, but it is pulled off perfectly. The film takes place just after the Vietnam War in Texas. The movie has some amazing moments- you'll be on the edge of your seat as Anton chases Moss through the empty night streets of a Texan city, firing at the hunter with a silenced shotgun. But the movie isn't all guns and action, though those scenes are pulled off effortlessly. There are many meaningful characters, like Sheriff Bell, who is struggling to piece together the mass murders erupting on his streets. Really, I found my favorite character to be Anton Chigurh, the psychotic, incredibly intelligent character. Javier Bardem is so good at his role, it is simply shocking to see him in action. And the ending isn't a happy-crappy one where Moss becomes the big hero at the end and takes down his assassins; instead it is cold and almost slightly depressing. If you like action movies, a flick with a good story, or, hell, if you like movies in general, this is for you. Expand
  51. Oct 1, 2010
    My favorite movie. A misunderstood masterpiece. As complex as it is simple. As vague as it is clear. I have seen it eight times and it never gets old.
  52. Aug 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My personal pick for best film of the 2000's. The Coen brothers made their finest film here (yes that includes "Fargo") by perfectly adapting McArthy's novel into a Southern lament about fate and circumstance. I love the way the characters grow closer and closer and their stories twist tighter and tighter but never get to see each other. I love the way the Coens lead the audience deeper and deeper into an abyss of nightmares and darkness, forcing us to watch as Llewellyn is slowly but surely found and killed. I love the performances, not giving too much away, but letting its classical philosophies float throughout the air and recur multiple times before the end of the film in its beautiful poetic dialogue that is individualized so perfectly that we could never imagine another character trying to speak their words. I love the ambiguous ending, showing that the film is more about philosophy rather than "who lived, who didn't", and forcing modern audiences to realize that sometimes it's simply better to just not kno. I love this movie. Expand

1. It’s a near masterpiece.
    Joel and Ethan Coen's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's 2005 novel is an indisputably great movie, at this point the year's very best.
    It's the most ambitious and impressive Coen film in at least a decade, featuring the flat, sun-blasted landscapes of west Texas -- spectacularly shot by cinematographer Roger Deakins -- and an eerily memorable performance by Javier Bardem, in a Ringo Starr haircut.