7.6

1. Jan 16, 2014
    No Country For Old Men is exhilaratingly brilliant, with raw and to-the-point dialogue that makes the transitions of scenes smooth. The cinematography is excellent, and the plot is exciting. Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones, and and Javier Bodem are excellent in this film, and captivate you with their performances.
  2. Mar 10, 2013
    When it comes to great moving films that hook you up from the beginning to end, The Coen Brothers have it all. No Country For Old Men is so good you will clap at the climax, you will remember this movie for the rest of your life.
  3. Sep 19, 2011
    The Coen Brothers did it again; "No Country for Old Men" proceeds its way to the oscars as a quiet, deep movie that strikes the core of tension, a true masterpiece.
  4. Jan 16, 2014
    A blunt, almost blatant tale of why you should never run from those chasing you. A gritty and oddly pragmatic tale that slowly drifts (which many consider the film's taciturn banality) into an aberration of the era and the situation. Acted out beautifully, mostly by the man of many roles, and hairstyles, Javier Bardem. With the amount of graphic violence that is ultimately timed right, theA blunt, almost blatant tale of why you should never run from those chasing you. A gritty and oddly pragmatic tale that slowly drifts (which many consider the film's taciturn banality) into an aberration of the era and the situation. Acted out beautifully, mostly by the man of many roles, and hairstyles, Javier Bardem. With the amount of graphic violence that is ultimately timed right, the Coen brothers have once made a film that, for me personally, cannot be banal or dreary in the slightest, but the absolute opposite. Expand
  5. Jan 8, 2013
    Powerful, stunning, horrific, it must be another Coen movie!
    The Coen brothers pull the concept of this film off so well that it was more intense to see Tommy Lee Jones anxiety when approaching a crime scene than actually seeing any of said occurrence actually happen.

Another notable scene within the film is when Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem)walks into a gas station and responds to the shop
  6. Jan 5, 2013
    This is actually one of the best book adaptions ever. It's almost impossible to tell a story accurately with such little dialogues and without a narrator voice, but the Coen brothers accomplished it fantastically. A perfect cast till minor roles and Javier Bardem makes one of the best film villains of all time! The style of the film is absolutely unique and the mixture of western, thrillerThis is actually one of the best book adaptions ever. It's almost impossible to tell a story accurately with such little dialogues and without a narrator voice, but the Coen brothers accomplished it fantastically. A perfect cast till minor roles and Javier Bardem makes one of the best film villains of all time! The style of the film is absolutely unique and the mixture of western, thriller and satire is excellent. The ending is realistic and leaves a couple of questions open, which makes you think a lot about the film afterwards. Everything seems sophisticated, even how scenes succeed on one another and that's what is so fantastic about this movie. Everything that happens in No Country For Old Men keeps your eyes peeled on the TV screen, even if it's just normal dialogue. I.e. the showdown between Chigurh and Moss, which is one of the most thrilling scenes I've seen lately or the Chigurh's conversation with the gas station proprietor which is absolutely awesome. The screenplay, the direction and Javier Bardem totally deserved the Oscar. There were better movies in 2006 but this flick is a very favorable tale about bad people that is both confusing and stunning. Collapse
  7. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    No Country for Old Men was an amazing adaptation of the book by Cormac McCarthy. (I've actually read the book. That's why I can say that) The story was great, and the actors were extraordinary (mainly Javier Bardem).
  8. Jan 25, 2014
    In this film we get to see the Coen brothers' version of a true psychopath. We follow two story lines until they converge and become one. Chigurh (Javier Bardem) is a lunatic who has no conscience whatsoever. Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) is the man who we root for, even though he is far from being a saint. But the fact that he doesn't kill people over nothing certainly gives him an edgeIn this film we get to see the Coen brothers' version of a true psychopath. We follow two story lines until they converge and become one. Chigurh (Javier Bardem) is a lunatic who has no conscience whatsoever. Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) is the man who we root for, even though he is far from being a saint. But the fact that he doesn't kill people over nothing certainly gives him an edge over his opponents in gaining our sympathy.

Moss finds a ridiculous amount of money in the desert and decides to keep it. Two sets of sides then follow him around the country as he outwits them at every step. Chigurh is called in and joins the chase, but he has his own agenda, which is to say none that can be understood by a sane man. Needless to say, we get to see a whole lot of shootouts and deaths and close calls.

Chigurh was the most enduring character from the bunch. He has two weapons he puts to deadly use at every occasion. A psychopath in every sense of the word, he looks for quarrels in nothing that would suggest to offend a normal person.

Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) is an aging sheriff. He quips and jokes with a poker face. I thoroughly enjoyed his peculiar sense of humour. Always trying to do the right thing, he feels that he isn't upto the task of apprehending these criminals who have suddenly decided to make the territory under his jurisdiction their battlefield. The title of the movie is probably about him.

There were more than a few memorable scenes of violence and gore. The art direction depicted the time splendidly with the costume and cars and cafes. The cinematography captured the beautiful bleak landscape of the southern wilderness with finesse. The open plains and deserts certainly felt like a character unto itself.

The first hour and a half nailed the action, suspense and dialogue with a craftsman's precision, and had not one scene that threatened to slow the pace. Despite the entertaining pace, every one of the main characters was well developed and distinct. The gunfights seemed realistic. People actually got injured and had no ability to dodge the bullets. There were a few scenes with conversations reflecting upon the changing times in terms of the violence being perpetrated. Some of the older audience may have felt nostalgic for a bit around this time. The film had the quality that takes the viewers imperceptibly from scene to scene.

I've always wondered how action sequences would feel like without supporting score to pump our adrenaline, and relying solely on content. They felt raw and genuine. Coen brothers showed us how they should be done. But if I made a film, I would have some music in the scenes about reflection and resolution.

Unlike the other great films in the genre of crime/thriller, this one chose to show what was happening only during the present. There was literally no transtion of time. In that it was like Raiders of the Lost Ark. But that movie had an extended cop-out ending.

The minute the main story ends abruptly, we move into a five minute interlude which felt forced and left me restless. There were no visible stakes and instead there were some conversations that were kind of conclusory remarks about what had taken place before. Everything before this had me absorbed in the narrative and that scene had nothing to do with anything that we were already shown. As the pacing was breakneck before this, some of the audience may have felt it to be more dragging even when the film returns to the main story. The extraction of a message or theme should be left entirely to the audience. I would have respected the Coens a lot more if they had the sense to know what should be left out. But since that scene wasn't long, I won't be harsh. But this blunder in editing took away from the strengths of the movie and thus the film failed to leave a lasting impression. The last scene was retainable but forgettable.
  9. Nov 9, 2014
    At the risk of sounding unprofessional, (and I guess I'm not since no one pays me for this), this movie is awesome. It's tense, eerie, violent, bloody, action packed.... I could go on forever. This is probably my favorite Cohen brothers movie. They direct it with such obsessive detail in every little action that it's impossible not to be impressed with their work here. I like a lot ofAt the risk of sounding unprofessional, (and I guess I'm not since no one pays me for this), this movie is awesome. It's tense, eerie, violent, bloody, action packed.... I could go on forever. This is probably my favorite Cohen brothers movie. They direct it with such obsessive detail in every little action that it's impossible not to be impressed with their work here. I like a lot of their movies, but none of them can match this one's sublime mix of violence, story, and character. Anton Chigur has to be one of the top five screen villains of all time. He really does come close to Hannibal Lecter status, and how often can you say that? The only real flaw here is an unsatisfying ending, but I've seen plenty of movies that have ended a lot worse. Probably one of the best Best Picture winners ever, and perhaps my favorite crime thriller. Expand
  10. Apr 3, 2012
    No country for old men is a thrilling film with an ending that will either disapoint or complete this masterfully made film. I am in the middle on the end but i cannot dismiss it because all the things that came previous in the film.
  11. Feb 9, 2014
    Absolutely outstanding! The acting is spot on in all parts. It's magnificently written and manages to shock you and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. At the same time the writing manages to show many different walks of life in a heavily realistic fashion. The writing also amazing show cases the character progression of the villain, played by Javier Bardem and hisAbsolutely outstanding! The acting is spot on in all parts. It's magnificently written and manages to shock you and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. At the same time the writing manages to show many different walks of life in a heavily realistic fashion. The writing also amazing show cases the character progression of the villain, played by Javier Bardem and his performance solidifies his character as possibly one of the most memorable movie characters of all time. This film is a must watch plain and simple. Expand
  12. Mar 10, 2013
    The Coen brothers provide one of the most strongest films ever. It provides awesome performances and extremely thrilling murderous suspense that makes the film suceed on all levels. Its by far the best direction that the Coen brothers have ever done in their spectacular career.
  13. Jul 2, 2013
    Los hermanos Coen lograron conseguir esta película fantásticamente hecha...............................................................................
  14. Nov 11, 2012
    The beauty of this movie is the simplicity. One guy has the suitcase full of money, other guy wants the suitcase full of money and so begins a chase interwoven with a hurricane of tension. Just watching the creativity with which these two characters try to best one another is enthralling in itself. The entire movie is slow, quiet and irresistible. Great acting and brilliant directing.The beauty of this movie is the simplicity. One guy has the suitcase full of money, other guy wants the suitcase full of money and so begins a chase interwoven with a hurricane of tension. Just watching the creativity with which these two characters try to best one another is enthralling in itself. The entire movie is slow, quiet and irresistible. Great acting and brilliant directing. Overall, I would describe No Country for Old Men as a dark and sinister pleasure. Expand
  15. Jan 21, 2015
    Bold, gothic, commanding and visceral. No Country for Old Men is as brilliant a movie you'll see from the past decade. The visual beauty and lack of score pulls us into a tense, anxious and deeply disturbed atmosphere, dragging us through sunny landscapes so bleak that just by watching the film, you'll put your soul at hazard. Tommy Lee Jones opens the film with a monologue where he talksBold, gothic, commanding and visceral. No Country for Old Men is as brilliant a movie you'll see from the past decade. The visual beauty and lack of score pulls us into a tense, anxious and deeply disturbed atmosphere, dragging us through sunny landscapes so bleak that just by watching the film, you'll put your soul at hazard. Tommy Lee Jones opens the film with a monologue where he talks about how criminals have changed (or dare I say evolved) to a point where he no longer understands them. The film draws attention to this idea through the character Anton Chigurh. He's a criminal who'll outrightly kill anyone who brings him inconvenience. But Chigurh's a much more complex character. Although it's never quite revealed why he wants the satchel of money, one can reasonably argue that he wants it because it would aid his survival (same can be said for Josh Brolin's Lewellyn). But what makes Chigurh different is that he believes following the rules and morals set by society don't really help you survive. Rather they're shackles. Chigurh's morals are decided by the toss of a coin. He'll kill an innocent person who's brought him no inconvenience only if the coin permits. In other words, Chigurh believes in a random and chaotic world and for the most part it seems as though he's the person who decides others' destiny through chance. But the Coens make it clear that Chigurh is no divine/ supernatural figure. He too is subject to random events (as witnessed when he crashes his car). But how do you categorise a person like that? A person who is so dispassionate and mechanical but still believes in an ideology (or a lack of ideology). He's not a nihilist. Tommy Lee Jones' Sheriff doesn't get it. He doesn't want to chase a killer he doesn't understand. He doesn't want to be some hero, he just wants to retire before something hazardous happens to him. The genius of No Country for Old Men lies in the way it escapes banality and tightens its grip as it progresses. By the time its over, you'll be all out breath feeling as though you've just spiralled into the seventh circle of hell. It pulls you out not by heroism but by capitulation.
    At the beginning, Tommy Lee Jones is askes himself - how do I make sense of a crazy, violent and unstable world that has lost all its bearings? Ultimately the film's bleak and melancholy answer is - You can't.
  16. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, this is a 10 out of 10. It's an amazing masterpiece. Acting is amazing. Everyone gives Oscar worthy performances. There's not that much music but that adds to the intensity, and when there is, it's great. The story is phenomical. Its so intense and you just want to stay around to see what'll happen next. Overall, this is a masterpiece. No country for old men is a great thriller,First off, this is a 10 out of 10. It's an amazing masterpiece. Acting is amazing. Everyone gives Oscar worthy performances. There's not that much music but that adds to the intensity, and when there is, it's great. The story is phenomical. Its so intense and you just want to stay around to see what'll happen next. Overall, this is a masterpiece. No country for old men is a great thriller, great western, and a even better movie. This is highly recommended for anyone wanting to watch a good movie. Expand
  17. Nov 25, 2013
    The America was marked by bloodshed, was sometimes accurate and sometimes totally useless form, were always involved power and money somehow, the book by Cormac M. portrays it interesting and visceral way, the same can be said of the Cohen brothers movie that captures the competitive spirit of Americans and brutal when it puts money in the game, but the most interesting are theThe America was marked by bloodshed, was sometimes accurate and sometimes totally useless form, were always involved power and money somehow, the book by Cormac M. portrays it interesting and visceral way, the same can be said of the Cohen brothers movie that captures the competitive spirit of Americans and brutal when it puts money in the game, but the most interesting are the performances of Javier B. and Tommy L. Jones that capture impressively (especially Bardem) the state of its characters, which explains all the euphoria that critics have with this film. Expand
  18. Apr 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite an abrupt ending, this movie is a fantastic masterpiece from the Coen Brothers. Beautifully shot, superb acting (particularly from Javier Bardem in an Academy Award winning role), and a fast, suspenseful pace, this is story telling at its best. Expand
  19. Apr 29, 2014
    Sinister, brutal and in possession of an abundance of lines to read between, 'No Country for Old Men' is a modern day masterpiece from the boots of it's cinematography right up to the Stetson of typically multi dimensional, Coen characterisation. I will no longer feel safe behind a locked door having witnessed the now, iconic realisation of Anton Chigurh.
  20. Feb 4, 2011
    A truely unique movie. An effective thriller and much more besides. Visually a joy. Perfect casting for the three male leads. Has the stamp of the Coen Bros: gentle humor slipping underneath great drama (and great violence).
  21. May 13, 2015
    even though there is no OST in the film the Coen brother's nightmarish masterpiece of the hellish underworld in the country seems so vividly real you can't run away from your seats even if you want to.
    marking 2007 a great year for darker movies
  22. Nov 10, 2012
    Cohen movies have been misunderstood for years..some people find them to boring or to hard to follow (millers crossing). I think they are marvelous and extremely witty, filled with some the most realistic characters you could want in a movie. They also do not end in happy cheery ways or tight hollywood endings that may hint at sequel. This one of my favorites right behind millersCohen movies have been misunderstood for years..some people find them to boring or to hard to follow (millers crossing). I think they are marvelous and extremely witty, filled with some the most realistic characters you could want in a movie. They also do not end in happy cheery ways or tight hollywood endings that may hint at sequel. This one of my favorites right behind millers crossing..which is i believe one the best movies ever made. Expand
  23. Jan 17, 2013
    One of the best movie ever made. Very nice story with some of the best actors. Amazing movie!
  24. Jun 1, 2012
    No Country for Old Men is the best Coen Brothers movie since Fargo. The highlight of the movie is the amazing cast, particularly Javier Bardem as the ruthless killer Anton Chigurh. His haircut alone will give you nightmares. Then there is the always great Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson, and Kelly McDonald. But this is more than just a showcase of great acting, it is aNo Country for Old Men is the best Coen Brothers movie since Fargo. The highlight of the movie is the amazing cast, particularly Javier Bardem as the ruthless killer Anton Chigurh. His haircut alone will give you nightmares. Then there is the always great Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson, and Kelly McDonald. But this is more than just a showcase of great acting, it is a technical masterpiece with amazing sound effects and film editing that really maximizes intensity and suspense. The story is one that has been told a thousand times before, but it's never been told quite like this. It doesn't follow the typical mold of a get away film. The good guys don't always win, and the bad guy doesn't always find justice. Furthermore, No Country has one of the best film endings of all time, even if others often claim it is anticlimactic or whatever it is they accuse it of being. I won't spoil the ending, but it fits perfectly and it has an allegorical meaning that really ties the whole movie together. Expand
  25. Aug 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My personal pick for best film of the 2000's. The Coen brothers made their finest film here (yes that includes "Fargo") by perfectly adapting McArthy's novel into a Southern lament about fate and circumstance. I love the way the characters grow closer and closer and their stories twist tighter and tighter but never get to see each other. I love the way the Coens lead the audience deeper and deeper into an abyss of nightmares and darkness, forcing us to watch as Llewellyn is slowly but surely found and killed. I love the performances, not giving too much away, but letting its classical philosophies float throughout the air and recur multiple times before the end of the film in its beautiful poetic dialogue that is individualized so perfectly that we could never imagine another character trying to speak their words. I love the ambiguous ending, showing that the film is more about philosophy rather than "who lived, who didn't", and forcing modern audiences to realize that sometimes it's simply better to just not kno. I love this movie. Expand
  26. May 25, 2012
    "No Country for Old Men" is a close to perfect film and one of the Coens' best films in a while. They can be darkly funny at times, laugh out loud hilarious other times, and SRS BSNS other times.
  27. Dec 22, 2010
    Some reasons why this movie is great... that the haters just seem to utterly miss. a) Superb cinematography focused on a bleak southern landscape that easily reflects the movie's naturalistic theme b) Motifs such as different portrayals of money determining fate c) Pithy dialogue in which the Coens' derive cornpone wisdom out of people who have seen too much (love the scene with the twoSome reasons why this movie is great... that the haters just seem to utterly miss. a) Superb cinematography focused on a bleak southern landscape that easily reflects the movie's naturalistic theme b) Motifs such as different portrayals of money determining fate c) Pithy dialogue in which the Coens' derive cornpone wisdom out of people who have seen too much (love the scene with the two retired lawmen in the desert shack near the end) d) Tommy Lee Jones, all wrinkled and angst-ridden about the state of the world when he should be looking forward to retirement. e) lots more but you can read critics reviews to find out what those reasons are. I'm not prone to giving out 10s unless something deserves it. I've seen this three times and it's as perfect as movies come. Some of the haters here are just downright pretentious while others really are too dumb to get a great piece of film making like this. Expand
  28. Dec 24, 2010
    Absolutely amazing film. This was probably the first movie that ever actually affected me in a big way. Perfect casting, amazing performance from Javier and a perfect use of pretty much no musical score whatsoever. It's a western, but not the type of western I had expected. So different from any other film I had ever seen before it, I really was blown away by the amazing direction. This isAbsolutely amazing film. This was probably the first movie that ever actually affected me in a big way. Perfect casting, amazing performance from Javier and a perfect use of pretty much no musical score whatsoever. It's a western, but not the type of western I had expected. So different from any other film I had ever seen before it, I really was blown away by the amazing direction. This is the type of movie I love. It isn't really moved along with action and suspense (though it has plenty of both), but by character interaction and dialogue. Potentially the best western of all time. Expand
  29. Oct 10, 2012
    The finest work by the Cohen Brothers, No Country for Old Men is brutal, violent, truthful, and one hell of a ride. The acting is beyond superb, the editing and cinematography are some of the best I have ever seen, and Javier Bardem is the new Hannibal Lector as the film's nightmarish villain, Anton Chigurh. For those negative reviews you see (notice only on the user column, mind you),The finest work by the Cohen Brothers, No Country for Old Men is brutal, violent, truthful, and one hell of a ride. The acting is beyond superb, the editing and cinematography are some of the best I have ever seen, and Javier Bardem is the new Hannibal Lector as the film's nightmarish villain, Anton Chigurh. For those negative reviews you see (notice only on the user column, mind you), they are all from people that are looking for something directed by Michael Bay and require no thought process whatsoever. Even if the ending requires some out-of-theatre interpretation, see this movie. It's one that going down with some of the best in film history. Expand
  30. Aug 17, 2013
    In my mind, the greatest movie of all time (Better than Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, all of them). NCFOM explores humans in a way that no other film can. It shows us why people do what they do. It addresses how fate, and how things out of our control, can affect our lives. It comes the closest that any movie has come to showing us the true meaning of life. There is no definiteIn my mind, the greatest movie of all time (Better than Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, all of them). NCFOM explores humans in a way that no other film can. It shows us why people do what they do. It addresses how fate, and how things out of our control, can affect our lives. It comes the closest that any movie has come to showing us the true meaning of life. There is no definite meaning of life: We are all here, doing things, talking to people, participating in activities; we are all simply living. And this film comes the closest to showing us why. As a film itself, it has terrific acting, especially from Javier Bardem, a terrific script, and dark, suspenseful tone that keeps you on edge the entire time. As a piece of art, it is inferior to none. The greatest movie ever made, in my opinion. Expand
  31. Oct 14, 2010
    No Country For Old Men follows an antelope hunter, a man named Llewlyn Moss, who stumbles on a drug deal gone bad and takes a satchel stuffed full of money (Around two million dollars overall.) and from there on is relentlessly hunted down by Mexican criminals and a ruthless assassin named Anton Chigurh. Now, this might sound almost like a thin story, but it is pulled off perfectly. TheNo Country For Old Men follows an antelope hunter, a man named Llewlyn Moss, who stumbles on a drug deal gone bad and takes a satchel stuffed full of money (Around two million dollars overall.) and from there on is relentlessly hunted down by Mexican criminals and a ruthless assassin named Anton Chigurh. Now, this might sound almost like a thin story, but it is pulled off perfectly. The film takes place just after the Vietnam War in Texas. The movie has some amazing moments- you'll be on the edge of your seat as Anton chases Moss through the empty night streets of a Texan city, firing at the hunter with a silenced shotgun. But the movie isn't all guns and action, though those scenes are pulled off effortlessly. There are many meaningful characters, like Sheriff Bell, who is struggling to piece together the mass murders erupting on his streets. Really, I found my favorite character to be Anton Chigurh, the psychotic, incredibly intelligent character. Javier Bardem is so good at his role, it is simply shocking to see him in action. And the ending isn't a happy-crappy one where Moss becomes the big hero at the end and takes down his assassins; instead it is cold and almost slightly depressing. If you like action movies, a flick with a good story, or, hell, if you like movies in general, this is for you. Expand
  32. Apr 22, 2014
    I love this movie, with a cat-and-mouse theme, and some violance concept of Anton Chigurh. Some movies can't be better with the effect of the surprise elements, but this, this is some awesome 5H1+ to watched!
  33. Sep 24, 2011
    Cormac McCarthy's national bestseller help the coen brothers make their first and finest adaption. No Country For Old Men, the bloodiest hell ride that shows the horror of the notorious psychopath kilter, named Anton Chigurh. This madman soon chases this guy named llewelyn Moss, a Vietnam veteran who finds a truckload of mexican brown dope and a case filled with ten million dollars inCormac McCarthy's national bestseller help the coen brothers make their first and finest adaption. No Country For Old Men, the bloodiest hell ride that shows the horror of the notorious psychopath kilter, named Anton Chigurh. This madman soon chases this guy named llewelyn Moss, a Vietnam veteran who finds a truckload of mexican brown dope and a case filled with ten million dollars in cash, with dead bodies laying around him. So llewellyn tries to keep the ten million so his wife can have all that she needs, then thats when chigurh comes in. The man in back of the situation is Ed Tom Bell, an old sheriff thats new to these kind of crimes (hence the title of movie), with 1980s mexican border problems, much more murders happen.

These three men are never really filmed together throughout the movie, even though its a chase movie, but it shows how the creative mind of the coens put a unique their in there movie, which makes it not very visible to you. I've also heard that it stayed true to the book, and has set a great visual to it as well. The originality of this film definitely makes it a much watch, and its the bloodiest from the coens I've seen yet. Javier Bardem shows his skills in new type of work, being Chigurh. His creepy looks (mostly the haircut) shows that the character is insane, has no sense of humor, and no sense of compassion or regret. His weapons are as unique as him, being some strange air tank that shoots through locks, and this shotgon with a gigantic silencer, which probably makes most of the gore in the movie. Nobody can play a better role as Llewelyn than Josh Brolin. growing up as a country man made this role easy for him, just acting like himself will be perfect acting. Tommy Lee Jones plays sheriff Ed Tom Bell, which Jones also said that the character he was playing was a lot like him as well as Brolin, like some of the parts was just like a natural conversation to him. No Country For Old Men has inspired me in so many levels. A movie this original, could be one of the best. This movie is one of the best of the decade, very close to "There Will Be Blood", and thats one good compliment.
  34. Jan 20, 2013
    "No Country for Old Men" is so well crafted in the way of a dark crime film, and the actors deserve plenty of merit on their parts, especially from the antagonist played by Javier Bardem.
  35. Oct 30, 2010
    Draws the viewer in from the get-go and never lets up. Dark, atmospheric, tense and intense its almost **** worthy.

Central protagonist and antagonist are evenly matched, at least for the bulk of the film. Peripheral characters (Tommy Lee Jones, etc.) do a great job.

Before you watch, shake of all predeterminations, and let this movie entertain you fully.
  36. Dec 31, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No Country for Old Men is an incredibly taut thrill ride. It starts off with Sheriff Ed Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) discussing to the audience the story about a 14 year old girl who was murdered by her teenage lover because of the fact that he had been in the state of killing someone for an enduring time. This really sets the mood for No Country for Old Men as Sheriff Bell quickly summarizes the evil that lies deep in our hearts, his voice is flat, calm, and delegate. This in turn he is able to grasp and pull in the audience to forebode what terror may lie ahead. Then we're able to witness a gruesome murder in the hands of Anton Chigurh, the antagonist. What's so strong about this whole opening act is that Bell analyzes the very true nature of mankind, and then we're able to witness it as a whole ourselves. This act is brilliant, truly brilliant. Jones delivers his small speech with such clarity and confidence that it all seems too real. The plot is mostly focused on the 3 main characters Sheriff Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones), Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin), and Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem). While hunting antelope in the Texan desert, Moss stumbles upon an unusual scene of a drug deal gone really wrong. There are a few scattered bodies everywhere and a dead dog. After finding at least a dozen kilos of drugs neatly placed in the back of a truck, Moss figures that the money is probably somewhere near. He makes his way from the site and finds a deceased man with a briefcase in his lap; the contents are 2 million dollars. Moss makes off with the money and leaves town. Chigurh, the most evil soul in films since Hannibal Lecter, tries to hunt down Moss at all costs to get the money back that he thinks is his own, Sheriff Bell is hot on the trail of both trying to hunt down Chigurh and trying to find Moss before Chigurh does. It sounds like a typical cat and mouse game but it really isn't. The Coen brothers formula works yet again and they are able to deliver a true one of a kind gem. The three main actors are simply flawless and amazing, Chigurh being the best villain since Hannibal Lecter, as said above. Jones is his normal self taking on a character that is broken and flawed and Brolin is simply dazzling. All three characters are intelligent, each depicting a different personality that exhibits each of their downfall later near the climax of the story. That saying, Chigurh is unbelievably evil, unbelievably obsessed with his prey, unbelievably haunting, and unbelievably funny. Never have I seen a character as creepy as Bardem's Chigurh that I have cringed and laughed at the same time, he is truly perfect. The many different shootouts that occur in the film either between Brolin and Bardem, or other characters alike, are mesmerizing at times. The quiet shots of the alleyway shootout between the two is astounding because the quietness leaves so much suspense that you're literally on the edge of your seat waiting for the next shot to be fired. That famous Coen dialogue is in here as well. There are key moments where it really comes to light, especially the gas station scene with Chigurh and the clerk he tries to play the fate of life with. The interactions between each character is flawless, they all display emotions, react to those emotions, and ultimately deliver a brilliant scene. What I think is the strongest part of the film, though, is about the last half hour. In that timespan we're able to see these 3 characters for who they really are and what their ultimate goal really is, though the predicaments they face make them fail ultimately and none of the trio really find and take what they were going for the entire time, and almost all three make away with something else entirely. What's great about that whole scene is that it leaves you to wonder after viewing how these characters fail. Could they have succeeded? Could they have crossed a fatal path with each other? Who knows, and this is what makes it all worth while and it makes you think long after. After many viewings its easy to spot the discrepancy of the characters and what makes them who they really are and you could easily spot the solutions that they could have accomplished in order to have succeeded in their quests. The ending is debatable of course but what's so achieving about it is that it ends abruptly, so abruptly like a smack to the face. It leaves you to wonder why it does that, why it ends on such a low depressing note that leaves you in darkness, and why it leaves you to decide wholefully. No Country for Old Men is a marvel to films, a simple masterpiece that pushes itself far beyond the other boundaries that other films have tried to accomplish. It's underrated in some aspects of course, mostly because of the ending but all in all it is a truly miraculous film that's simply flawless and simply astounding. It's a twisted story with beautiful moments that delves deep into the dark roots of human nature. Expand
  37. Dec 9, 2013
    A flawless intense thriller that puts you on the edge of your seat throughout the whole darn film! The cinematography in this film is simply fantastic... the coens out did them self and in my opinion it is right up there w fargo maybe even better
  38. Dec 21, 2012
    The complexity appears in simple tension, but is crafted so well and delivered so uniquely that the result is unusually amazing. In major plot points, this film is completely unpredictable, and its final statement pins on the title.
  39. Mar 5, 2013
    Uma das melhores cenas de perseguição da história do cinema moderno, javier bardem está simplesmente assustador e sensacional. Brilhante história e atuações, filme para se ter em casa.
  40. May 2, 2015
    No Country for Old Men is one of the best movies that I have ever seen. It manages to portray complex emotional themes while maintaining one of the most entertaining story-lines of any neo-Western (or any movie, for that matter) to date. This is the Coen Brothers at the top of their craft.
  41. Jan 23, 2015
    This film is brilliant mainly because of the incredible character of Anton - the scariest maniac you could possibly meet. The acting is superb - this is one of those films that will leave you thinking in a daze. It will also give you nightmares about cattle spikes.
    10/10 - Ben Hazelden
  42. Jul 18, 2011
    The best movie I have seen in years. The story was compelling and the acting was incredible. The story and plot is not that predictable like other Hollywood movies -- so I was entirely hooked while watching it. Very well done!
  43. Sep 9, 2012
    If you don't like the ending you didn't understand the plot...
  44. Sep 20, 2014
    Javier Bardem is terrifying, the plot is thrilling, the directing is engaging and the themese are thought provoking. I can't ask for more from a movie.
  45. Oct 1, 2010
    My favorite movie. A misunderstood masterpiece. As complex as it is simple. As vague as it is clear. I have seen it eight times and it never gets old.
  46. Jan 5, 2014
    No Country For Old Men is Coen Brothers' brilliant film adaptation of Cormac MacCarthy novel of the same name. It focuses on the three stories of Sheriff Ed Bell, played by Tommy Lee Jones, Anton Chigurh a psychopathic murderer, played by Javier Bardem, and Llewelyn Moss, a welder who had stumbled upon 2 million dollars worth of drug money, played by Josh Brolin.

The backbone of the

The backbone of the plot itself has been used before but the slow pacing of the film allows the viewer to submerge themselves in the struggle of Jones and Brolin as they are hunted by and pursue Bardem's character. Bardem fabulously portrays Chigurh as an almost unpredictable yet rational killer intent on collecting the 2 million dollars collected by Brolin and killing anyone in his way. In one of his last scenes the viewer is allowed however to see a small amount of uncertain reasoning in how he kills.

The pacing, as well as excellent camerawork and sets creates a wonderful atmosphere in which the viewer can allow themselves to comfortably be submerged into while they enjoy this cinematic masterpiece.

In the end, this film can be enjoyed by all as long as they are patient enough to let a story be told.
  47. Aug 12, 2013
    It' s a very nice but also difficult film.
    I watched it twice and I don't still understand everything.
    The figure of Anton Chigurh is surely the most impressive. The crazy/foolish killer Chigurgh is in my opinion, the real protagonist of the film.

Everythig so rude and foolish, but PERFECT
  48. May 28, 2013
    Favorite movie of all time. Coen brothers are spot-on with suspenseful pacing, beautiful cinematography, and a simple story that gets its point across.
  49. Feb 1, 2011
    A great Coen movie. There's been a long time since I saw such an entertaining and at the same time, such a complex movie. Excellent direction work, insuperable interpretations and a superb script make this film a masterpiece; all on this movie is near to be perfect and it keeps you watching until it ends. Highly recommended to anybody. 9.0
  50. Aug 13, 2011
    This is easily one of my favorite films of all time. It's acting is superb, the cinematography the best I've ever seen, and deep. For those of you who don't care for the ending, it's never meant to have closure. This film is mysterious and very open to interpretation. I saw this one day and watched it again the next day just to ponder its messages. I highly recommend this, but it's not aThis is easily one of my favorite films of all time. It's acting is superb, the cinematography the best I've ever seen, and deep. For those of you who don't care for the ending, it's never meant to have closure. This film is mysterious and very open to interpretation. I saw this one day and watched it again the next day just to ponder its messages. I highly recommend this, but it's not a "sit-down-and-zone-out" movie. You need to keep a sharp eye. Expand
  51. Mar 28, 2014
    The movies was awesome with, Anton Chigurh (Bardem) and his awesome coin-tosser and, BANGG!!! I'm still wonder if other film/movies can be like this. I'm honestly wasn't expected to see the novels could be brought to the big screen.
  52. Oct 4, 2013
    I think this movie is one of the best movies I have ever seen. directors of this movie are my favorite directors.this movie has directed, written and acted very well.
  53. Oct 19, 2013
    One of my favorite movies. Excellent casting may have been the biggest pluses for it. Some are dissatisfied with the final 20 minutes or so of the movie, but it worked for me after giving it time to settle for lack of a better phrase.
  54. TomB.
    Feb 20, 2008
    Awesome film, a great re-visit of the Coens first naive masterpiece (Blood Simple) combined with all their work since. The scenery and cinematography are magnificent, and the character development is pitch-perfect. Thosee characters that demand development get it, and those that must remain a mystery are haunting. I did not read the book so I have no idea what the story was "supposed" to Awesome film, a great re-visit of the Coens first naive masterpiece (Blood Simple) combined with all their work since. The scenery and cinematography are magnificent, and the character development is pitch-perfect. Thosee characters that demand development get it, and those that must remain a mystery are haunting. I did not read the book so I have no idea what the story was "supposed" to be, but the screenplay stands by itself as a complex, absorbing, mysterious, and ultimately satisfying tale. Not satisfying in the sense that all the circles were closed, by any means, by satisfying in that it made you think and enjoy doing your thinking. The actors' performances were spot on, and everything techincal about the movie was near-perfect. Expand
  55. NebojsaN.
    Mar 4, 2008
    Reading the reviews, there seems to be a clear divide between those who require their movie experience to be one where they can turn off their brains, go on autopilot and be spoonfed a neat little predictable package, and those who are bored by this approach and instead appreciate something with more depth and theme. The poor reviews, almost without exception, complain about gratuitous Reading the reviews, there seems to be a clear divide between those who require their movie experience to be one where they can turn off their brains, go on autopilot and be spoonfed a neat little predictable package, and those who are bored by this approach and instead appreciate something with more depth and theme. The poor reviews, almost without exception, complain about gratuitous violence, the early demise of the protagonist and especially the ending, which they perceive as a non-ending. In my opinion, the ending was perfect and brought home the whole point of the movie. Any other "neat" ending that some folks seem to crave would have made this a completely different kind of movie - a movie of cheap, gratuitous violence - and I'm sure they would have loved it. Basically, if you need everything spelled out for you in obvious, simplistic terms - you will hate this movie. Most everyone else will love it. Expand
  56. JasonJ
    Apr 8, 2008
    The review from the Onion gets it right in its tag-line above: ''NCFOM reminds us that civilization is the aberration'; ugliness and evil are the norm in our world. That said: What if the film had a conventional ending, a shootout between Brolin and Chigurgh; and one of them got the money-- or perhaps neither of them? The film would likely have resolved with a formulaicThe review from the Onion gets it right in its tag-line above: ''NCFOM reminds us that civilization is the aberration'; ugliness and evil are the norm in our world. That said: What if the film had a conventional ending, a shootout between Brolin and Chigurgh; and one of them got the money-- or perhaps neither of them? The film would likely have resolved with a formulaic 'what is good?, what is evi? 'motif, probably thinking enough for most filmgoers. But that doesn't happen, and we are left with something much more difficult (or impossible) to digest. Jones will endure, like his father leading the way through the cold mountain pass, bearing the struggling, sputtering light into the unknown, into nothingness. And when our time comes, like Brolin's does (and Jones's will soon), none of us will see it coming. And the result? The world, with its default setting for ugliness, will continue to turn, unconcerned with us, or with our notions of good or evil and our struggles to define or contain either. And that's the message-- and it's bleak, no doubt. The film's draw for critics and other thinkers is this message, however; and it is precisely because it is far more sophisticated than a freshman philosophy resolution that would have left us questioning the nature of good and evil;or, heaven forbid, an ending that would have entailed the death of Chigurgh, the credits rolling on a final shot of a millionaire Brolin and his wife sipping Margaritas on a Mexican beach. The film's message is indeed nihilist, perhaps beyond nihilist; and it's great in the way that Macbeth is great, and for many of the same reasons. Expand
  57. TonyB.
    May 1, 2008
    Great film. Acting was incredible the story line was superb. I hate people commenting on the ending, the ending was extremly well done, it was how the story was supposed to end.
  58. ChristosM
    Sep 4, 2009
    There's a fragile allegory lurking behind the scenes of this so called,alternative western and it's that of a human world loosing it's humanity,drifting away from values and ideals,surrendering to the fascinating corruption of money,violence and lust of power.In this pitch-dark universe of vulgarity,killers like Anton Chigurh rule supreme and the few humane existences There's a fragile allegory lurking behind the scenes of this so called,alternative western and it's that of a human world loosing it's humanity,drifting away from values and ideals,surrendering to the fascinating corruption of money,violence and lust of power.In this pitch-dark universe of vulgarity,killers like Anton Chigurh rule supreme and the few humane existences left,like Sheriff Llewelyn Moss,struggle to proove humanity's evil urges are not native and spontaneous,though facts tend to proove them wrong.Hollywood endings have no space in such films! Expand
  59. DevinN.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Isn't it great that when people complain about this movie, it usually involves disdain at how well its rated? Excellent theme, excellent execution, brilliant film.
  60. AndrewJohnmeyer
    Dec 7, 2007
    Unsatisfactory resolution? Unclear plot and character motivations? Only if you are incapable of thinking for yourself. This is not a movie that everyone will like (obviously) but it is a fantastic movie for those who are willing to think about what they've just seen. One of the strongest points of this film is the sound/music editing, notably the strong role of silence in Unsatisfactory resolution? Unclear plot and character motivations? Only if you are incapable of thinking for yourself. This is not a movie that everyone will like (obviously) but it is a fantastic movie for those who are willing to think about what they've just seen. One of the strongest points of this film is the sound/music editing, notably the strong role of silence in sound//music editing in the film. In the absence of the usual barrage of sound, every click, scuff, and shuffle take on an unrivaled immediacy. Expand
  61. CoreyH.
    Jan 12, 2008
    Umm... haven't seen it. I would, however, like to point out, that your prediction was completely wrong, M G. The film did exceptionally well at the box-office. Just because you didn't like it, don't assume that other people, who actually think when they watch a movie, won't.
  62. KH.
    Feb 10, 2008
    The story works at a few levels and some folks were only looking at the basic plot and hence disliked the compressed narrative near the end. Some stories concern themselves with more than just the relating of plot. This movie is one of the more complicated movies. If you're looking for shooting action with a bad guy and a hero, you'll be disappointed and give this movie a low score.
  63. LindaS
    Feb 16, 2008
    My heart was in my throat from the very beginning of this movie and stayed there til the end. This was a definite Coen Bros. movie and possibly their best one yet. The fear that Bardem projected through the entire movie was so gripping that it needs to be seen twice - the monologues of Tommy Lee Jones (Sheriff Bell) were priceless - gave you the feeling that he was making them up trying My heart was in my throat from the very beginning of this movie and stayed there til the end. This was a definite Coen Bros. movie and possibly their best one yet. The fear that Bardem projected through the entire movie was so gripping that it needs to be seen twice - the monologues of Tommy Lee Jones (Sheriff Bell) were priceless - gave you the feeling that he was making them up trying to escape the overwhelming situation that was happening and he was helpless to correct it. Expand
  64. TylerC.
    Feb 6, 2008
    The Coen Brother's second perfect film. Acting, direction, cinematography, all exact.
  65. JoyceC.
    Mar 2, 2008
    After reading most of the reviews given here, people start yapping about how crappy the ending was. Well, from my opinion, I thought the ending was neat. I overhear people walking out of the theatre saying, "where did the oscars come from.." or "that ending was awful." Well what did you expect, for Ed Tom Bell to catch Chigurh and arrest him and happily ever after. The ending of the film After reading most of the reviews given here, people start yapping about how crappy the ending was. Well, from my opinion, I thought the ending was neat. I overhear people walking out of the theatre saying, "where did the oscars come from.." or "that ending was awful." Well what did you expect, for Ed Tom Bell to catch Chigurh and arrest him and happily ever after. The ending of the film would basically end how it would in real life because people have to realize that the bad guy doesn't always win. And it was kind of strange, but people who hated the ending won't shutup about the fact that the film didn't turn out how you expected. Well, the Coen brothers surprise us with a weird ending. Do you think that the movie should've been neatly wrapped up with an expected ending? Apparently no, the Coen brothers ended it how it would in real life which was kind of cool from my point of view. I thought No Country was a very good movie with suspenseful moments and an exciting premice. It's neat how the title fits in with the story how its no country for old men. Though in the end, you actually cared about the characters and overall, No Country for Old Men was definitely worth my day. Expand
  66. FlorianW.
    Mar 8, 2008
    A stunning piece of cinema, personally, I think it's one of the best movies of the decade. The superb acting, to the minimalist, yet deep narrative that forced you to watch it mindfully and last but not least the immense amount of symbolism and deeper meaning elevate it to heights I thought unreachable for today's mainstream cinema. The ending was superb, it got my mind racing, A stunning piece of cinema, personally, I think it's one of the best movies of the decade. The superb acting, to the minimalist, yet deep narrative that forced you to watch it mindfully and last but not least the immense amount of symbolism and deeper meaning elevate it to heights I thought unreachable for today's mainstream cinema. The ending was superb, it got my mind racing, even if most questions were answered more or less. The final 20 minutes were far from boring either, the insights into Chigurh's fatalistic mindset, establishing his role as a quasi-angel-of-vengeance as well as the role of greed in the movie thrilled me. Highly recommended, even if I can't guarantee you'll like it - but that's how it is with art, it is discourse put into form. Where entertainment tries to please the masses, art seeks to challenge the mind. Expand
  67. Jennifer
    Apr 4, 2008
    Could the guy with the lady do who only spoke what seemed to be five lines in the entire movie be any creepier! Although he didn't say much his presence in the movie was strong. Normally not the type of movie I would pick up but I am so glad I did. Make sure you see this movie. Yeah the movie feels like some things are left out or skipped but that is the style of this movie. Could the guy with the lady do who only spoke what seemed to be five lines in the entire movie be any creepier! Although he didn't say much his presence in the movie was strong. Normally not the type of movie I would pick up but I am so glad I did. Make sure you see this movie. Yeah the movie feels like some things are left out or skipped but that is the style of this movie. Don't score it down because everything isn't spelled out for you. I loved it. Best movie I have seen in a while. Expand
  68. JoeM.
    Apr 7, 2008
    Lean and mean, along with The Assassination of Jesse James my favourite film of last year. Both lensed by Roger Deakins coincidentally - or not, as his lonesome vistas and cool washes of colour add terrific intensity to both stories.
  69. KevinE.
    Jun 5, 2008
    inspiring, top movie I was glued to the screen wanting the main character to survive and ride off with the $$$.
  70. SteveD.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Great film, most enjoyable movie I've watched all year.
  71. KevinL.
    Nov 11, 2007
    Best American movie of the year, no doubt. Great contribution to the Western genre. NOT a Coen "black comedy," though, so I wish some critics would start reading it for the tragic contemplation about evil that it was written and directed to be.
  72. DanB.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Fantastic film on all levels. However the only reason I am voting is to let DWilly know that the film takes play in 1980. Therefore the lead character would have been in Vietnam just at the right time. Pay a little more attention next time. Coens, out!
  73. ChrisK.
    Nov 10, 2007
    Ridiculously good. 'No Country' will get under your skin and stay there; the Coen brothers' best since "Fargo."
  74. OgdenJ.
    Nov 29, 2007
    Great filmmaking loved the philosophical musings at the end by the sheriff exceeds whatever genre expectations
  75. DK
    Nov 7, 2007
    Brilliant. One of the best films this year. Barden will lead a slew of Academy Award nominations.
  76. JackP.
    Dec 10, 2007
    "No Country for Old Men" is a masterpiece. It is the Coen brothers' best movie, and it only gets better with repeated viewings.
  77. TaylorB.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Some of the most impressive dialogue within the last couple of years. Excellent performances all around; I especially liked Tommy Lee Jones. Extremely well shot. Superb film.
  78. MitchellZ
    Dec 5, 2007
    NO ENDING? POINTLESS?! TOO BLOODY?!!!! I am amazed when I see comments like these. If you wanted Die Hard, go see die hard. If you want a taught, complex, visually stunning, beautifully acted, thriller that also actually speaks to the complex realities of the present world, GO SEE THIS FILM! No, there's no big finish. Yes, the pace is slower than most action flicks. And, yes, NO ENDING? POINTLESS?! TOO BLOODY?!!!! I am amazed when I see comments like these. If you wanted Die Hard, go see die hard. If you want a taught, complex, visually stunning, beautifully acted, thriller that also actually speaks to the complex realities of the present world, GO SEE THIS FILM! No, there's no big finish. Yes, the pace is slower than most action flicks. And, yes, character motivations are confusing, but not ill conceived. A great movie from start to finish. (I, personally, loved the ending(s)). Expand
  79. JL
    Dec 8, 2007
    I think that people need to remember a couple of things about this movie: 1. Comparisons to 'Fargo' are invalid. 'Fargo' was written for the screen by the Coen brothers. This was an adaptation of someone else's work. Also, criticizing this movie for being excessively violent in one breath and saying that 'Fargo' was great in the next seems rather I think that people need to remember a couple of things about this movie: 1. Comparisons to 'Fargo' are invalid. 'Fargo' was written for the screen by the Coen brothers. This was an adaptation of someone else's work. Also, criticizing this movie for being excessively violent in one breath and saying that 'Fargo' was great in the next seems rather incongruous. 2. If you were expecting a tidy ending to this movie,for it be wrapped up with a bow or a shootout at the OK Corral, then you went to the wrong movie in the first place. That is not the typical style of neither the Coen brothers nor McCarthy. In other words, don't criticize a movie because you had unrealistic expectations of it. On the other hand, if you are looking for a movie that tells a story exceedingly well, with all of the elements of first rate film making, then this is definitely for you. Expand
  80. DanP
    Awesome.
  81. JosephA.
    Dec 8, 2007
    Just when I thought not a single notable movie would come out of 2007 the Coen brothers deliver a classic. Excellent movie. I haven't been so engaged at the movies since Lord of the Rings.
  82. JeffJ.
    Jan 13, 2008
    This movie was not only completely entertaining and engrossing but is what filmmaking should be - magical. Evil manifested in the character of Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem) couldn't be more chilling. The unconventional plot line was surprising and perfect for a movie like this. And for a movie about killing, it's surprisingly restrained. This could have been a graphic portrayal This movie was not only completely entertaining and engrossing but is what filmmaking should be - magical. Evil manifested in the character of Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem) couldn't be more chilling. The unconventional plot line was surprising and perfect for a movie like this. And for a movie about killing, it's surprisingly restrained. This could have been a graphic portrayal of what a man will do to get what he wants but it was far more effective to omit most of the brutal acts. I will see this again. Expand
  83. ColinC.
    Jan 13, 2008
    A devastating film. The idea that TLJ is wasted in this movie is utterly missing the point of his casting. He brings with him your assumptions of the idealistic sheriff of movies past and the Coen Brothers dismantle it expertly. The viewer is rendered as impotent as Sheriff Bell in the face of the pure formidable evil of Anton. I'm jealous of people who were cinema goers when A devastating film. The idea that TLJ is wasted in this movie is utterly missing the point of his casting. He brings with him your assumptions of the idealistic sheriff of movies past and the Coen Brothers dismantle it expertly. The viewer is rendered as impotent as Sheriff Bell in the face of the pure formidable evil of Anton. I'm jealous of people who were cinema goers when Hitchcock was hitting his stride. Now less so. Expand
  84. TimW
    Jan 19, 2008
    The dialogue alone makes this movie worth watching. A very well written script.
  85. AaronC
    Jan 2, 2008
    Best adaptation of a book to film. It manages to deliver the masterful pacing and detail of Cormac McCarthy's novel while realizing the inferred tone, color, and character. In it's own right it's an expertly crafted, acted, and directed film. Casting deserves awards. The suspense was top quality, the jumps were deserved, and not a single thing was gratuitous.

As for the

As for the story, the plot, the bit that people seem to love or hate most, it is clearly a rarity. It never gives you what you expect, it never let's you rest and it certainly never lets you win. It's an amazing experience to read, and just as amazing on screen thanks to the Coens. It's something primal, it's something you're forced to internalize, and it's a reminder of your humanity. Writing and storytelling at it's bravest.
    I don't know what lead poor souls into the theater expecting a happy ending. I like paying admission for a new experience. Sorry, your happy ending, predictable dialogue, and hokey thrill scenes are waiting for you in the next theater down.
  86. LukeW
    Jan 22, 2008
    The single greatest film I have ever seen. Anyone who does not like this film understands nothing about not only the art of film-making, but that medium's ability to mirror the most fundamental questions of humanity. This movie strikes at the very foundation of what it means to be human in ANY larger society, and questions the whole concept of "good and evil", or "right and wrong". The single greatest film I have ever seen. Anyone who does not like this film understands nothing about not only the art of film-making, but that medium's ability to mirror the most fundamental questions of humanity. This movie strikes at the very foundation of what it means to be human in ANY larger society, and questions the whole concept of "good and evil", or "right and wrong". For those who prefer more dramatic films such as "Independence Day", review THEM, and not movies that you most certainly fail to understand. Expand
  87. zaja
    Jan 27, 2008
    It's relatively easy to see why reviewers giving scores of 0 and 1 described the film as "disappointing", since it was devoid of any sense of resolution or redemption. It was, as many critics have said, one of the more bleak, nihilistic stories in a long time. I guess some people expect certain things from a film, and when their anticipations aren't met, well, the film must be It's relatively easy to see why reviewers giving scores of 0 and 1 described the film as "disappointing", since it was devoid of any sense of resolution or redemption. It was, as many critics have said, one of the more bleak, nihilistic stories in a long time. I guess some people expect certain things from a film, and when their anticipations aren't met, well, the film must be bad. What an uninteresting moviegoing experience that must be. For me, when a film defies my expectations, I experience what's called "surprise" (ala when protagonist is killed 2/3 before end, when film stops abruptly and bad guy wins, etc), a generally positive and entertaining experience, which forces me to re-think what have seen so far and/or expect to see, and makes me wonder what the purpose of such a cinematic twist could be. I believe this is the crucial moment where audiences split: being asked to think too much. As the credits rolled at the showing I saw, a loud guy in front of me told his girlfriend, "How do you pick these movies? Jesus Christ, you pick the worst movies." It irritated me, but it didn't surprise me. It's almost seems that for a given cultural product within art or film to be outstanding, the majority of the population has to really dislike it. And that's a shame. Even if the impeccable technical merits of the film were lost on someone, and the stellar writing, direction and acting were all overlooked, one cannot deny that the ideology that the filmmakers present provides the viewer with one hell of a tough, haunting knot of questions to tease apart for hours and days later. That's what made it great for me, that the film kept going even after it ended. It wasn't neat and easy, but challenging and unsettling. If you need a film to assure you that everyone lived happily ever after, then please don't see this film. If you don't mind being entrusted with some of the moral and intellectual heft of a film to mill around on your own, and conclude on your own, like a grown-up, then you are in for a treat. Expand
  88. LindaL.
    Jan 28, 2008
    Well, as of today I've seen all five of the "best picture" nominees. I have to say that this one -- bleak and nasty and violent though it is -- strikes me as the best. I sympathize with those who find the violence pointless. Hard to disagree. Yet the story and the acting and the cinematography are brilliant and haunting and a revelation. Can't say enough about Tommy Lee Jones as Well, as of today I've seen all five of the "best picture" nominees. I have to say that this one -- bleak and nasty and violent though it is -- strikes me as the best. I sympathize with those who find the violence pointless. Hard to disagree. Yet the story and the acting and the cinematography are brilliant and haunting and a revelation. Can't say enough about Tommy Lee Jones as the world-weary "old man" who is the insightful heart of the film. Josh Brolin is a wonder; Javier Bardem's performance is gripping. The movie stays with you the way great movies do. Expand
  89. VinceReighard
    Jan 3, 2008
    The Best Buddy Comedy Since 'White Men Can't Jump'

The Best Buddy Comedy Since 'White Men Can't Jump'

There isn't much to say about this movie that hasn't been said already, but I feel the need to add to the parade of praise this movie has received. Harrelson is brilliant and hilarious in his role as a tough talking hit-man who get's in waaaayyyy over his head! And Josh Brolin, as the kind-hearted welder who just keeps showing up at the wrong place at the wrong time, kept the audience rolling with laughter throughout. Javier Bardem will almost certainly receive a Golden Globe nod for his portrayal of the coin-flipping killer who definitely woke up on the wrong side of the bed, desperate to find his stolen loot! This is a must see!
  90. motive
    Jan 4, 2008
    I find it hilarious that people question the ending of this movie when they go to see something that is set up to be a sequel for money purposes and not look at the singular movie at work here. Amazing on every front. I saw this the first screening in my city and a lot of people didn't like the ending then I hear people that read the book give it praise... to understand the premiseI find it hilarious that people question the ending of this movie when they go to see something that is set up to be a sequel for money purposes and not look at the singular movie at work here. Amazing on every front. I saw this the first screening in my city and a lot of people didn't like the ending then I hear people that read the book give it praise... to understand the premise and meaning is to understand the movie. So well done but see it twice Expand
  91. KentC
    Jan 9, 2008
    This movie didn't have much of a purpose, but still was an incredible movie. Full of suspenseful scenes that were incredibly well done. Some people might find the lack of a musical score a bad thing, but I think it added to the subtle intensity that was pretty consistent throughout the movie. The tension was broken up by occasional humor which was actually funny. Those of you whoThis movie didn't have much of a purpose, but still was an incredible movie. Full of suspenseful scenes that were incredibly well done. Some people might find the lack of a musical score a bad thing, but I think it added to the subtle intensity that was pretty consistent throughout the movie. The tension was broken up by occasional humor which was actually funny. Those of you who don't like seeing strong violence, brutal killings, some language, humorous mexican stereotypes, bowl-shaped haircuts, and a cranky old lady shouldn't see this movie. For everyone else: go see this and Sweeney Todd now! Expand
  92. edzilla
    Feb 10, 2008
    This film was so gripping that it seemed life outside the theater walls melted way. It provokes so many questions as well. SPOILER I would love to hear theories on why Moss went back the crime scene. He barely looked at the dying Mexican man, let alone felt sympathy for him. Then, as he replays the day
  93. JayP.
    Feb 16, 2008
    Nihilistic, dark, unstoppable, and calculated. At the penultimate snapshot of the film, we see a subliminal glimpse of what lies at the rotten core of contemporary society: blood money, power and purposive rationality of destruction. A bold and mind bending movie.
  94. waynec.
    Feb 25, 2008
    great, great film; some will be turned off by the violence and the lack of "closure" in the ending, but i thought the ending was perfect
  95. JonathanS.
    Feb 7, 2008
    Oh please, all the people who are giving this horrible reviews are obviously not the kind of viewers who would ever be interested in this in the first place. How is it that people cannot realize that half of the movies on Metacritic with great reviews are going to be artistic or very non-mainstream. Look at chad for example: he lists alternate movies to go see, all of which are very Oh please, all the people who are giving this horrible reviews are obviously not the kind of viewers who would ever be interested in this in the first place. How is it that people cannot realize that half of the movies on Metacritic with great reviews are going to be artistic or very non-mainstream. Look at chad for example: he lists alternate movies to go see, all of which are very mainstream marketable. And he himself even states the real reason many people don't like it by referencing abstract art: some people like it, others don't. The fact that No Country is NOT a mainstream film should tell people that it will not appeal to those more linear tastes. And I am continuously wondering how can so many people not get the ending? Even I, a 16 year old, thought the ending was brilliant. And though I don't really want to type out the symbolism here, I would hope that those people who hated the ending can at least figure it out from here: Take into mind that the movie is completely allegorical-- the villain represents all of the evil in the world and it's unwavering continuity; the protagonist who finds the money is man kind, being subdued by a force they are trying to desperately understand and can never really defeat; and the sheriff is the weary old generation, trying to make sense of everything as it happens (hence the title of the movie). Now think about the second dream the sheriff had, and interpret the words' meaning. It had me floored; I couldn't move from my seat for a few minutes. This is purely a movie of taste-- people are just mad that they went to watch a movie which wasn't in their own taste. And while I want to avoid insulting anyone's intelligence level, so as not to assume, but I think that many people just couldn't understand this. But for those of you who can see deeper into such allegories and the more artistic nature of movies, this will completely hypnotize you and leave you numb by the end. At least Tricky and N K recognized the quality of the film without having to like it. Expand
  96. Chris
    Feb 9, 2008
    I think it's quite fascinating how far the divide between those who can view cinema as an art form and those who cannot has become. A majority of the harsh critiques for this film cite how "slow" or "boring" the film is and/or how the film has no "ending." First off, I don't believe one should be able to cite their review of this film unless they know what "allegory" means.I think it's quite fascinating how far the divide between those who can view cinema as an art form and those who cannot has become. A majority of the harsh critiques for this film cite how "slow" or "boring" the film is and/or how the film has no "ending." First off, I don't believe one should be able to cite their review of this film unless they know what "allegory" means. Another point I want to make - the main character in "Psycho," widely considered a masterpiece of cinema, was killed off halfway through the film. One doesn't need to see the "main character" make it through the film. This is NOT a formula film. Those who use the word "plot" should also not be allowed to review the film. Please, people, free your minds from formulaic thinking. And what's wrong with abstract art?! Expand
  97. JustinG.
    Mar 10, 2008
    1? Really? 1 is what my home videos deserve not the best picture of the year. Anyone who gives this movie less then an 8 doesn't even deserve to defend your position; you have no creative spirit and are more then likely stupid. I hate to be so blunt but seriously it doesn't even make sense to give this film a 1. You don't have to like it but, really, to give it 1 defies any 1? Really? 1 is what my home videos deserve not the best picture of the year. Anyone who gives this movie less then an 8 doesn't even deserve to defend your position; you have no creative spirit and are more then likely stupid. I hate to be so blunt but seriously it doesn't even make sense to give this film a 1. You don't have to like it but, really, to give it 1 defies any and all purusuits of analysis and intellect. Expand
  98. MattC.
    Mar 16, 2008
    This is a thinking man's film- the relationship between individuals in this movie and their motives are not spoon-fed to the viewer. Those willing to explore the themes and metaphors presented in No Country for Old Men will find this film compelling. Additionally, Tommy Lee Jones' cliche role as a policeman in this movie is justified by his stellar performance.
  99. Marc.D.
    Mar 7, 2008
    To cry foul at the plot...is to completely miss the point. A masterpiece. And deservedly so.
  100. norab.
    Mar 8, 2008
    I am not one for violent movies - I get a gut-wrenching feeling that makes me tremble inside - and I trembled from the opening scene of this film. But I was mesmerized by the story line - I think Cormac McCarthy's story as the source for the this amazing movie is as sharp and brilliant as the western landscape it takes place in. The Coen Brothers have made a masterpiece.

1. It’s a near masterpiece.
    Joel and Ethan Coen's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's 2005 novel is an indisputably great movie, at this point the year's very best.
    It's the most ambitious and impressive Coen film in at least a decade, featuring the flat, sun-blasted landscapes of west Texas -- spectacularly shot by cinematographer Roger Deakins -- and an eerily memorable performance by Javier Bardem, in a Ringo Starr haircut.