7.6

1. Jan 16, 2014
    No Country For Old Men is exhilaratingly brilliant, with raw and to-the-point dialogue that makes the transitions of scenes smooth. The cinematography is excellent, and the plot is exciting. Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones, and and Javier Bodem are excellent in this film, and captivate you with their performances.
  2. Mar 10, 2013
    When it comes to great moving films that hook you up from the beginning to end, The Coen Brothers have it all. No Country For Old Men is so good you will clap at the climax, you will remember this movie for the rest of your life.
  3. Sep 19, 2011
    The Coen Brothers did it again; "No Country for Old Men" proceeds its way to the oscars as a quiet, deep movie that strikes the core of tension, a true masterpiece.
  4. Jan 16, 2014
    A blunt, almost blatant tale of why you should never run from those chasing you. A gritty and oddly pragmatic tale that slowly drifts (which many consider the film's taciturn banality) into an aberration of the era and the situation. Acted out beautifully, mostly by the man of many roles, and hairstyles, Javier Bardem. With the amount of graphic violence that is ultimately timed right, theA blunt, almost blatant tale of why you should never run from those chasing you. A gritty and oddly pragmatic tale that slowly drifts (which many consider the film's taciturn banality) into an aberration of the era and the situation. Acted out beautifully, mostly by the man of many roles, and hairstyles, Javier Bardem. With the amount of graphic violence that is ultimately timed right, the Coen brothers have once made a film that, for me personally, cannot be banal or dreary in the slightest, but the absolute opposite. Expand
  5. Jan 8, 2013
    Powerful, stunning, horrific, it must be another Coen movie!
    The Coen brothers pull the concept of this film off so well that it was more intense to see Tommy Lee Jones anxiety when approaching a crime scene than actually seeing any of said occurrence actually happen.

Another notable scene within the film is when Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem)walks into a gas station and responds to the shop
  6. Jan 5, 2013
    This is actually one of the best book adaptions ever. It's almost impossible to tell a story accurately with such little dialogues and without a narrator voice, but the Coen brothers accomplished it fantastically. A perfect cast till minor roles and Javier Bardem makes one of the best film villains of all time! The style of the film is absolutely unique and the mixture of western, thrillerThis is actually one of the best book adaptions ever. It's almost impossible to tell a story accurately with such little dialogues and without a narrator voice, but the Coen brothers accomplished it fantastically. A perfect cast till minor roles and Javier Bardem makes one of the best film villains of all time! The style of the film is absolutely unique and the mixture of western, thriller and satire is excellent. The ending is realistic and leaves a couple of questions open, which makes you think a lot about the film afterwards. Everything seems sophisticated, even how scenes succeed on one another and that's what is so fantastic about this movie. Everything that happens in No Country For Old Men keeps your eyes peeled on the TV screen, even if it's just normal dialogue. I.e. the showdown between Chigurh and Moss, which is one of the most thrilling scenes I've seen lately or the Chigurh's conversation with the gas station proprietor which is absolutely awesome. The screenplay, the direction and Javier Bardem totally deserved the Oscar. There were better movies in 2006 but this flick is a very favorable tale about bad people that is both confusing and stunning. Expand
  7. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    No Country for Old Men was an amazing adaptation of the book by Cormac McCarthy. (I've actually read the book. That's why I can say that) The story was great, and the actors were extraordinary (mainly Javier Bardem).
  8. Jan 25, 2014
    In this film we get to see the Coen brothers' version of a true psychopath. We follow two story lines until they converge and become one. Chigurh (Javier Bardem) is a lunatic who has no conscience whatsoever. Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) is the man who we root for, even though he is far from being a saint. But the fact that he doesn't kill people over nothing certainly gives him an edgeIn this film we get to see the Coen brothers' version of a true psychopath. We follow two story lines until they converge and become one. Chigurh (Javier Bardem) is a lunatic who has no conscience whatsoever. Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) is the man who we root for, even though he is far from being a saint. But the fact that he doesn't kill people over nothing certainly gives him an edge over his opponents in gaining our sympathy.

Moss finds a ridiculous amount of money in the desert and decides to keep it. Two sets of sides then follow him around the country as he outwits them at every step. Chigurh is called in and joins the chase, but he has his own agenda, which is to say none that can be understood by a sane man. Needless to say, we get to see a whole lot of shootouts and deaths and close calls.

Chigurh was the most enduring character from the bunch. He has two weapons he puts to deadly use at every occasion. A psychopath in every sense of the word, he looks for quarrels in nothing that would suggest to offend a normal person.

Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) is an aging sheriff. He quips and jokes with a poker face. I thoroughly enjoyed his peculiar sense of humour. Always trying to do the right thing, he feels that he isn't upto the task of apprehending these criminals who have suddenly decided to make the territory under his jurisdiction their battlefield. The title of the movie is probably about him.

There were more than a few memorable scenes of violence and gore. The art direction depicted the time splendidly with the costume and cars and cafes. The cinematography captured the beautiful bleak landscape of the southern wilderness with finesse. The open plains and deserts certainly felt like a character unto itself.

The first hour and a half nailed the action, suspense and dialogue with a craftsman's precision, and had not one scene that threatened to slow the pace. Despite the entertaining pace, every one of the main characters was well developed and distinct. The gunfights seemed realistic. People actually got injured and had no ability to dodge the bullets. There were a few scenes with conversations reflecting upon the changing times in terms of the violence being perpetrated. Some of the older audience may have felt nostalgic for a bit around this time. The film had the quality that takes the viewers imperceptibly from scene to scene.

I've always wondered how action sequences would feel like without supporting score to pump our adrenaline, and relying solely on content. They felt raw and genuine. Coen brothers showed us how they should be done. But if I made a film, I would have some music in the scenes about reflection and resolution.

Unlike the other great films in the genre of crime/thriller, this one chose to show what was happening only during the present. There was literally no transtion of time. In that it was like Raiders of the Lost Ark. But that movie had an extended cop-out ending.

The minute the main story ends abruptly, we move into a five minute interlude which felt forced and left me restless. There were no visible stakes and instead there were some conversations that were kind of conclusory remarks about what had taken place before. Everything before this had me absorbed in the narrative and that scene had nothing to do with anything that we were already shown. As the pacing was breakneck before this, some of the audience may have felt it to be more dragging even when the film returns to the main story. The extraction of a message or theme should be left entirely to the audience. I would have respected the Coens a lot more if they had the sense to know what should be left out. But since that scene wasn't long, I won't be harsh. But this blunder in editing took away from the strengths of the movie and thus the film failed to leave a lasting impression. The last scene was retainable but forgettable.
  9. Apr 3, 2012
    No country for old men is a thrilling film with an ending that will either disapoint or complete this masterfully made film. I am in the middle on the end but i cannot dismiss it because all the things that came previous in the film.
  10. Nov 9, 2014
    At the risk of sounding unprofessional, (and I guess I'm not since no one pays me for this), this movie is awesome. It's tense, eerie, violent, bloody, action packed.... I could go on forever. This is probably my favorite Cohen brothers movie. They direct it with such obsessive detail in every little action that it's impossible not to be impressed with their work here. I like a lot ofAt the risk of sounding unprofessional, (and I guess I'm not since no one pays me for this), this movie is awesome. It's tense, eerie, violent, bloody, action packed.... I could go on forever. This is probably my favorite Cohen brothers movie. They direct it with such obsessive detail in every little action that it's impossible not to be impressed with their work here. I like a lot of their movies, but none of them can match this one's sublime mix of violence, story, and character. Anton Chigur has to be one of the top five screen villains of all time. He really does come close to Hannibal Lecter status, and how often can you say that? The only real flaw here is an unsatisfying ending, but I've seen plenty of movies that have ended a lot worse. Probably one of the best Best Picture winners ever, and perhaps my favorite crime thriller. Expand
  11. Feb 9, 2014
    Absolutely outstanding! The acting is spot on in all parts. It's magnificently written and manages to shock you and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. At the same time the writing manages to show many different walks of life in a heavily realistic fashion. The writing also amazing show cases the character progression of the villain, played by Javier Bardem and hisAbsolutely outstanding! The acting is spot on in all parts. It's magnificently written and manages to shock you and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. At the same time the writing manages to show many different walks of life in a heavily realistic fashion. The writing also amazing show cases the character progression of the villain, played by Javier Bardem and his performance solidifies his character as possibly one of the most memorable movie characters of all time. This film is a must watch plain and simple. Expand
  12. Mar 10, 2013
    The Coen brothers provide one of the most strongest films ever. It provides awesome performances and extremely thrilling murderous suspense that makes the film suceed on all levels. Its by far the best direction that the Coen brothers have ever done in their spectacular career.
  13. Jul 2, 2013
    Los hermanos Coen lograron conseguir esta película fantásticamente hecha...............................................................................
  14. Nov 11, 2012
    The beauty of this movie is the simplicity. One guy has the suitcase full of money, other guy wants the suitcase full of money and so begins a chase interwoven with a hurricane of tension. Just watching the creativity with which these two characters try to best one another is enthralling in itself. The entire movie is slow, quiet and irresistible. Great acting and brilliant directing.The beauty of this movie is the simplicity. One guy has the suitcase full of money, other guy wants the suitcase full of money and so begins a chase interwoven with a hurricane of tension. Just watching the creativity with which these two characters try to best one another is enthralling in itself. The entire movie is slow, quiet and irresistible. Great acting and brilliant directing. Overall, I would describe No Country for Old Men as a dark and sinister pleasure. Expand
  15. Jan 21, 2015
    Bold, gothic, commanding and visceral. No Country for Old Men is as brilliant a movie you'll see from the past decade. The visual beauty and lack of score pulls us into a tense, anxious and deeply disturbed atmosphere, dragging us through sunny landscapes so bleak that just by watching the film, you'll put your soul at hazard. Tommy Lee Jones opens the film with a monologue where he talksBold, gothic, commanding and visceral. No Country for Old Men is as brilliant a movie you'll see from the past decade. The visual beauty and lack of score pulls us into a tense, anxious and deeply disturbed atmosphere, dragging us through sunny landscapes so bleak that just by watching the film, you'll put your soul at hazard. Tommy Lee Jones opens the film with a monologue where he talks about how criminals have changed (or dare I say evolved) to a point where he no longer understands them. The film draws attention to this idea through the character Anton Chigurh. He's a criminal who'll outrightly kill anyone who brings him inconvenience. But Chigurh's a much more complex character. Although it's never quite revealed why he wants the satchel of money, one can reasonably argue that he wants it because it would aid his survival (same can be said for Josh Brolin's Lewellyn). But what makes Chigurh different is that he believes following the rules and morals set by society don't really help you survive. Rather they're shackles. Chigurh's morals are decided by the toss of a coin. He'll kill an innocent person who's brought him no inconvenience only if the coin permits. In other words, Chigurh believes in a random and chaotic world and for the most part it seems as though he's the person who decides others' destiny through chance. But the Coens make it clear that Chigurh is no divine/ supernatural figure. He too is subject to random events (as witnessed when he crashes his car). But how do you categorise a person like that? A person who is so dispassionate and mechanical but still believes in an ideology (or a lack of ideology). He's not a nihilist. Tommy Lee Jones' Sheriff doesn't get it. He doesn't want to chase a killer he doesn't understand. He doesn't want to be some hero, he just wants to retire before something hazardous happens to him. The genius of No Country for Old Men lies in the way it escapes banality and tightens its grip as it progresses. By the time its over, you'll be all out breath feeling as though you've just spiralled into the seventh circle of hell. It pulls you out not by heroism but by capitulation.
    At the beginning, Tommy Lee Jones is askes himself - how do I make sense of a crazy, violent and unstable world that has lost all its bearings? Ultimately the film's bleak and melancholy answer is - You can't.
  16. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, this is a 10 out of 10. It's an amazing masterpiece. Acting is amazing. Everyone gives Oscar worthy performances. There's not that much music but that adds to the intensity, and when there is, it's great. The story is phenomical. Its so intense and you just want to stay around to see what'll happen next. Overall, this is a masterpiece. No country for old men is a great thriller,First off, this is a 10 out of 10. It's an amazing masterpiece. Acting is amazing. Everyone gives Oscar worthy performances. There's not that much music but that adds to the intensity, and when there is, it's great. The story is phenomical. Its so intense and you just want to stay around to see what'll happen next. Overall, this is a masterpiece. No country for old men is a great thriller, great western, and a even better movie. This is highly recommended for anyone wanting to watch a good movie. Expand
  17. Nov 25, 2013
    The America was marked by bloodshed, was sometimes accurate and sometimes totally useless form, were always involved power and money somehow, the book by Cormac M. portrays it interesting and visceral way, the same can be said of the Cohen brothers movie that captures the competitive spirit of Americans and brutal when it puts money in the game, but the most interesting are theThe America was marked by bloodshed, was sometimes accurate and sometimes totally useless form, were always involved power and money somehow, the book by Cormac M. portrays it interesting and visceral way, the same can be said of the Cohen brothers movie that captures the competitive spirit of Americans and brutal when it puts money in the game, but the most interesting are the performances of Javier B. and Tommy L. Jones that capture impressively (especially Bardem) the state of its characters, which explains all the euphoria that critics have with this film. Expand
  18. Apr 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite an abrupt ending, this movie is a fantastic masterpiece from the Coen Brothers. Beautifully shot, superb acting (particularly from Javier Bardem in an Academy Award winning role), and a fast, suspenseful pace, this is story telling at its best. Expand
  19. Apr 29, 2014
    Sinister, brutal and in possession of an abundance of lines to read between, 'No Country for Old Men' is a modern day masterpiece from the boots of it's cinematography right up to the Stetson of typically multi dimensional, Coen characterisation. I will no longer feel safe behind a locked door having witnessed the now, iconic realisation of Anton Chigurh.
  20. Feb 4, 2011
    A truely unique movie. An effective thriller and much more besides. Visually a joy. Perfect casting for the three male leads. Has the stamp of the Coen Bros: gentle humor slipping underneath great drama (and great violence).
  21. May 13, 2015
    even though there is no OST in the film the Coen brother's nightmarish masterpiece of the hellish underworld in the country seems so vividly real you can't run away from your seats even if you want to.
    marking 2007 a great year for darker movies
  22. Nov 10, 2012
    Cohen movies have been misunderstood for years..some people find them to boring or to hard to follow (millers crossing). I think they are marvelous and extremely witty, filled with some the most realistic characters you could want in a movie. They also do not end in happy cheery ways or tight hollywood endings that may hint at sequel. This one of my favorites right behind millersCohen movies have been misunderstood for years..some people find them to boring or to hard to follow (millers crossing). I think they are marvelous and extremely witty, filled with some the most realistic characters you could want in a movie. They also do not end in happy cheery ways or tight hollywood endings that may hint at sequel. This one of my favorites right behind millers crossing..which is i believe one the best movies ever made. Expand
  23. Jan 17, 2013
    One of the best movie ever made. Very nice story with some of the best actors. Amazing movie!
  24. Jun 1, 2012
    No Country for Old Men is the best Coen Brothers movie since Fargo. The highlight of the movie is the amazing cast, particularly Javier Bardem as the ruthless killer Anton Chigurh. His haircut alone will give you nightmares. Then there is the always great Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson, and Kelly McDonald. But this is more than just a showcase of great acting, it is aNo Country for Old Men is the best Coen Brothers movie since Fargo. The highlight of the movie is the amazing cast, particularly Javier Bardem as the ruthless killer Anton Chigurh. His haircut alone will give you nightmares. Then there is the always great Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson, and Kelly McDonald. But this is more than just a showcase of great acting, it is a technical masterpiece with amazing sound effects and film editing that really maximizes intensity and suspense. The story is one that has been told a thousand times before, but it's never been told quite like this. It doesn't follow the typical mold of a get away film. The good guys don't always win, and the bad guy doesn't always find justice. Furthermore, No Country has one of the best film endings of all time, even if others often claim it is anticlimactic or whatever it is they accuse it of being. I won't spoil the ending, but it fits perfectly and it has an allegorical meaning that really ties the whole movie together. Expand
  25. Aug 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My personal pick for best film of the 2000's. The Coen brothers made their finest film here (yes that includes "Fargo") by perfectly adapting McArthy's novel into a Southern lament about fate and circumstance. I love the way the characters grow closer and closer and their stories twist tighter and tighter but never get to see each other. I love the way the Coens lead the audience deeper and deeper into an abyss of nightmares and darkness, forcing us to watch as Llewellyn is slowly but surely found and killed. I love the performances, not giving too much away, but letting its classical philosophies float throughout the air and recur multiple times before the end of the film in its beautiful poetic dialogue that is individualized so perfectly that we could never imagine another character trying to speak their words. I love the ambiguous ending, showing that the film is more about philosophy rather than "who lived, who didn't", and forcing modern audiences to realize that sometimes it's simply better to just not kno. I love this movie. Expand
  26. May 25, 2012
    "No Country for Old Men" is a close to perfect film and one of the Coens' best films in a while. They can be darkly funny at times, laugh out loud hilarious other times, and SRS BSNS other times.
  27. Dec 22, 2010
    Some reasons why this movie is great... that the haters just seem to utterly miss. a) Superb cinematography focused on a bleak southern landscape that easily reflects the movie's naturalistic theme b) Motifs such as different portrayals of money determining fate c) Pithy dialogue in which the Coens' derive cornpone wisdom out of people who have seen too much (love the scene with the twoSome reasons why this movie is great... that the haters just seem to utterly miss. a) Superb cinematography focused on a bleak southern landscape that easily reflects the movie's naturalistic theme b) Motifs such as different portrayals of money determining fate c) Pithy dialogue in which the Coens' derive cornpone wisdom out of people who have seen too much (love the scene with the two retired lawmen in the desert shack near the end) d) Tommy Lee Jones, all wrinkled and angst-ridden about the state of the world when he should be looking forward to retirement. e) lots more but you can read critics reviews to find out what those reasons are. I'm not prone to giving out 10s unless something deserves it. I've seen this three times and it's as perfect as movies come. Some of the haters here are just downright pretentious while others really are too dumb to get a great piece of film making like this. Expand
  28. Dec 24, 2010
    Absolutely amazing film. This was probably the first movie that ever actually affected me in a big way. Perfect casting, amazing performance from Javier and a perfect use of pretty much no musical score whatsoever. It's a western, but not the type of western I had expected. So different from any other film I had ever seen before it, I really was blown away by the amazing direction. This isAbsolutely amazing film. This was probably the first movie that ever actually affected me in a big way. Perfect casting, amazing performance from Javier and a perfect use of pretty much no musical score whatsoever. It's a western, but not the type of western I had expected. So different from any other film I had ever seen before it, I really was blown away by the amazing direction. This is the type of movie I love. It isn't really moved along with action and suspense (though it has plenty of both), but by character interaction and dialogue. Potentially the best western of all time. Expand
  29. Oct 10, 2012
    The finest work by the Cohen Brothers, No Country for Old Men is brutal, violent, truthful, and one hell of a ride. The acting is beyond superb, the editing and cinematography are some of the best I have ever seen, and Javier Bardem is the new Hannibal Lector as the film's nightmarish villain, Anton Chigurh. For those negative reviews you see (notice only on the user column, mind you),The finest work by the Cohen Brothers, No Country for Old Men is brutal, violent, truthful, and one hell of a ride. The acting is beyond superb, the editing and cinematography are some of the best I have ever seen, and Javier Bardem is the new Hannibal Lector as the film's nightmarish villain, Anton Chigurh. For those negative reviews you see (notice only on the user column, mind you), they are all from people that are looking for something directed by Michael Bay and require no thought process whatsoever. Even if the ending requires some out-of-theatre interpretation, see this movie. It's one that going down with some of the best in film history. Expand
  30. Aug 17, 2013
    In my mind, the greatest movie of all time (Better than Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, all of them). NCFOM explores humans in a way that no other film can. It shows us why people do what they do. It addresses how fate, and how things out of our control, can affect our lives. It comes the closest that any movie has come to showing us the true meaning of life. There is no definiteIn my mind, the greatest movie of all time (Better than Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, all of them). NCFOM explores humans in a way that no other film can. It shows us why people do what they do. It addresses how fate, and how things out of our control, can affect our lives. It comes the closest that any movie has come to showing us the true meaning of life. There is no definite meaning of life: We are all here, doing things, talking to people, participating in activities; we are all simply living. And this film comes the closest to showing us why. As a film itself, it has terrific acting, especially from Javier Bardem, a terrific script, and dark, suspenseful tone that keeps you on edge the entire time. As a piece of art, it is inferior to none. The greatest movie ever made, in my opinion. Expand

1. It’s a near masterpiece.
    Joel and Ethan Coen's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's 2005 novel is an indisputably great movie, at this point the year's very best.
    It's the most ambitious and impressive Coen film in at least a decade, featuring the flat, sun-blasted landscapes of west Texas -- spectacularly shot by cinematographer Roger Deakins -- and an eerily memorable performance by Javier Bardem, in a Ringo Starr haircut.