7.6

1. Dave
    Dec 28, 2009
    Horrid movie. What you have is a psychopath running amok, killing 3 random people before he even eats his breakfast. Meanwhile, out of all the law enforcement in the U.S., it seems that only one chronically depressed sheriff even cares to try to track the guy down... but apparently he isn't smart enough to look for fingerprints on that glass of milk. Somehow the critics were fooled Horrid movie. What you have is a psychopath running amok, killing 3 random people before he even eats his breakfast. Meanwhile, out of all the law enforcement in the U.S., it seems that only one chronically depressed sheriff even cares to try to track the guy down... but apparently he isn't smart enough to look for fingerprints on that glass of milk. Somehow the critics were fooled by the various displays of technical expertise into thinking this was a good movie. In reality, all these shining little aspects can't save the movie from its own dismal plot. Expand
  2. KrisKelley
    Apr 6, 2008
    Unsatisfying ending.
  3. DC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Good performances, interesting enough characters with a nice tone of its own. I was really enjoying it, feeling the tension build and build and then whoosh the cohens whip the rug out from under you and as you sit there lying on your back going "Hey what the hell happened?" the two brothers pull down their pants and take a nice big steaming dump on your face. While shouting "Ha Ha fuck Good performances, interesting enough characters with a nice tone of its own. I was really enjoying it, feeling the tension build and build and then whoosh the cohens whip the rug out from under you and as you sit there lying on your back going "Hey what the hell happened?" the two brothers pull down their pants and take a nice big steaming dump on your face. While shouting "Ha Ha fuck you consumer, fuck you. You want closure? You want an ending that is in some way satisfying to the viewer? You want to at least have a final denouement between one of the protagonists and the psycho? Fuck you moron eat our filth!!" That's how I felt anyway. A film that could have been great totally destroyed by the most horrendous "bait and switch" I've ever had the misfortune to see. In a word "Disgusting". Expand
  4. KyleB.
    Nov 30, 2007
    Good movie, but the ranking needs to go down because of the ending, no way it should be 8.0 more like 5 or 6.
  5. MattB
    Dec 14, 2007
    The end of the movie was honestly the most awkward experience I have ever had at the movies. People of all ages and levels of maturity were left dumbfounded. We all sat there looking at the screen waiting for the film to resume, but it never did. This movie is getting great reviews and I in no doubt assume it to be a bad story. I do in fact claim that this film is a terrible The end of the movie was honestly the most awkward experience I have ever had at the movies. People of all ages and levels of maturity were left dumbfounded. We all sat there looking at the screen waiting for the film to resume, but it never did. This movie is getting great reviews and I in no doubt assume it to be a bad story. I do in fact claim that this film is a terrible representation of that story. It left me bored and lost, when it should have left me in a spot where I am not having to try to understand what the hell the point is. For the majority of movie goers I would recommend seeing a film that presents itself to the audience, unless of course they are just looking for a cool gun. Expand
  6. JohnD.
    Oct 27, 2008
    Intriguing but not a movie I would say was enjoyable. The acting was incredibly good but the ending left me with no closure which I so desperately was looking for in a movie that was convoluted in many ways. Too many unanswered questions for me and I would not recommend this movie and do not understand all the hype it has received.
  7. JeffB.
    Jul 20, 2009
    Although the actors did a great job ... the plot had no substance or meaning due to a poorly written ending. I don't even think the Director could tell you what it meant. All i can figure out is they reached thier target budget and said "Alright ... let's end it here".
  8. DavidS.
    Mar 13, 2008
    Overrated, over-hyped, couldn't wait until it was over. Enough said.
  9. JacoboN.
    Apr 20, 2008
    Overrated movie, a not so good FARGO .
  10. TedT.
    Apr 13, 2008
    What was all the hype about???? You must be kidding me. This was shot like something from the 70's. If thats what turned you on..then watch something from the 70's. I'm still scratching my head over why I heard so many people say "best movie I've seen" are you serious? This was nothing more than...nothing.
  11. Maggie
    Mar 15, 2008
    Soooo stupid, soooo lame, soooo boring. Give me my 2 hours back. Soooo hollywood crap.
  12. SK
    Apr 20, 2008
    A VERY VERY bad movie. I have no idea how this movie won an Oscar. I contemplated multiple times during the movie of walking out, but I endured till the end in the hope that the end would salvage the movie. No such thing, the end leaves you with an even worse feeling. Horrible, horrible movie.
  13. MikeSt.
    Mar 4, 2008
    Anyone who rated this movie higher than five must be unaware that it has been made dozens of times before. Guy takes drug dealers money and drug dealer chases him - the only difference is the other movies actually had an ending. The Coen brothers borrowed a tired plot and the ending of "The Sopranos" and get an academy award? No wonder nobody watches that joke of an awards ceremony anymore.
  14. ewenm.
    Mar 8, 2008
    Way over-rated. pointless, characters void of any interest; been done better many times before.
  15. Rich
    Jan 28, 2008
    This movie has to be the worst movie of the year and yet it gets acclaim from reviewers. When I go see a movie I want a good plot maybe a twist here and there and some action. You get all of that in this movie correction except the plot because the plot is totally dumb. Its so linear and when the main guy dies 3 quarters into the movie you stop caring bout the movie and start wonderingThis movie has to be the worst movie of the year and yet it gets acclaim from reviewers. When I go see a movie I want a good plot maybe a twist here and there and some action. You get all of that in this movie correction except the plot because the plot is totally dumb. Its so linear and when the main guy dies 3 quarters into the movie you stop caring bout the movie and start wondering why is this movie still going. It has its moments in the middle of the movie but thats bout it. Don't get me wrong the movie has some great acting but damn I don't go to the movies to be bored to death bout sumthing not relevent. Thats how I felt bout the ending like wtf!!!. Everyone in the thetear even the older folks were cursing this movie as a waste of time. And that is exactly what it was. So basically if you want to see a movie with great acting and a boring plot go see this movie. If not then see anything else but this please don't waste your hard earned cash on this crap. Expand
  16. blueenigma-blackgirl
    Feb 10, 2008
    When I watch a film, I expect to experience a series of emotional pulls throughout the movie, either from the characters, the setting, the storyline, or a combination of elements. While watching this movie, I felt distinctly flat, and became increasing disenchanted as the story went on. The characters were underdeveloped, and I never cared what happened to any of them. The sparseness of When I watch a film, I expect to experience a series of emotional pulls throughout the movie, either from the characters, the setting, the storyline, or a combination of elements. While watching this movie, I felt distinctly flat, and became increasing disenchanted as the story went on. The characters were underdeveloped, and I never cared what happened to any of them. The sparseness of the set and the lack of a true score are both unique ideas, and in the right hands can be great stock for a masterful film; however, technique alone cannot carry a film, particularly if paired with ill-designed substance. For example, the movie is ridden with peculiar scenes that defy common sense and left me more distracted than engrossed. If we look at the scene where Llewelyn passed the suitcase of money through the duct to a different room, the question of purpose comes to mind. Recall, he did this prior to discovering the money was fitted with a tracking device. Thus, it wasn Expand
  17. Doug
    Mar 14, 2008
    Pointless violence strung together by a thin plot with an ending that looks like they just run out of money and stopped. Hard to fathom how it could get nominated let alone win any award.
    Nov 14, 2007
    I would like to point out that the reason for DWilly's confusion is probably because the book itself is confused. Moss is supposed to be 37 in the book, a Vietnam vet, yet people are described using cell phones. So something's not right.
  19. HughB
    Apr 18, 2010
    The worst movie I have ever seen, this is saying a lot seeing as I am a film student, have watched Birth Of A Nation and can usually enjoy ANY type of movie for one reason or another. No character development, boring characters (No the killer is not scary), jumpy plot and useless sound track (I have heard people call the silence tense, watch The Hurt Locker for a good example of that) The worst movie I have ever seen, this is saying a lot seeing as I am a film student, have watched Birth Of A Nation and can usually enjoy ANY type of movie for one reason or another. No character development, boring characters (No the killer is not scary), jumpy plot and useless sound track (I have heard people call the silence tense, watch The Hurt Locker for a good example of that) NCFOM is just boring. If you like it and write good reviews for this film maybe you should actually watch it first. Expand
  20. DWilly
    Nov 9, 2007
    This movie makes the list of all time promising films that derail into crap. I know the critical numbers are high because the filmmaking is very strong (apart from using Josh Brolin, who just isn't up to the task, nevermind being repeatedly referred to in this contemporary setting as a Viet Nam vet, which would have put him in combat at around age five), but you can't, not only This movie makes the list of all time promising films that derail into crap. I know the critical numbers are high because the filmmaking is very strong (apart from using Josh Brolin, who just isn't up to the task, nevermind being repeatedly referred to in this contemporary setting as a Viet Nam vet, which would have put him in combat at around age five), but you can't, not only jerk the rug out from underneath your audience, but then go at them with a baseball bat as the story becomes devoid of clarity, humanity or point. Collapse
  21. Joel
    Jan 20, 2008
    I'm with Steve and M B on this one its like the Coen bros. are paying the review crew to suck their cocks; the only reason I give this Boring ass movie a 1 is for the cool ass Air gun and thats IT.
  22. Aug 21, 2011
    I think they are ill. After about an hour one no longer cares who lives or dies. My own life experience is utterly at odds with what is shown. We are told that the theme is biblical. Tosh. I repeat: I think that the Coen brothers are ill.
  23. Aug 24, 2011
    This film is a steaming pile of **** and one of the worst movies I have ever scene 0 out of 10
  24. TinoR.
    May 3, 2008
    Rented the video for a dollar at a vending machine in the local drug store. It wasn't even worth the dollar.
  25. Stung47000
    Jan 20, 2009
    Who told Hollywood that in order to make an original movie nowadays you have to make it suck at the end? The movie was a 10 until the last act, but then it ended so god-awful it actually deserves a negative score for failing so hard!
  26. LarryT.
    Nov 13, 2007
    The pretentious laughter in the audience was the worst part of this film.
  27. Oct 7, 2012
    This movie sucked. There's a reason why it lost money at the box office, and was winner at the least-watched Academy Awards of all time. That reason is this: it's boring, pretentious, and shoddily made.
  28. Aug 29, 2010
    I thought this movie was such a waste of time that I have gone out of my way to write a review. As it is based on a fictional work (book) there seems to be no logical sence for brutal violence then for pure entertainment. I don't find brutal and senseless violence entertaining. I do not find it artistic or enriching or in any way psychologically interesting.
    The movie did not have the
    The movie did not have the riveting plot or entertainment value of Silence of the Lambs or Pulp Fiction. It did not have strong characters such as Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugative whith it's suspence. There was no witty dialogue or great music.
    In my opinion the movie lacked everything in quality. The ending was a total letdown as if someone who was working on the ending just handed it in unfinished and left.
    72 people were murdered in Mexico last week - do people find that entertaining? I understand that art is up to interpretation but just as there are great works of art there are really poor ones. A broken lightbulb on a wet floor at the Guggenheim that is exhibited for a month draws reaction and it is weak - just because something is new and has not been done before does not mean that it is great art and good. Awarding this piece of dung with an academy award takes away from all the great productions which have been awarded in the past and cheats the public into thinking that any junk, no matter how bad it is will be great and worth enduring and spending your money on just because it was awarded and got great reviews. This movie is one of the worst ever and a disgrace to have been awarded. Javier Bardem Bardem is a good actor in many things - not an academy award winner in this one. The Coen brothers should pay me back for my time wasted watching their junk but I will know better in the future. I am watching every Best Picture Academy Award winner and about 60% of the way through, this is by far the worst movie. Had it not been on the list I would not have bothered to watch it until the end.
    Don't waste your time or money. Sensless violence can be had daily on the news.
  29. AnonymousMC
    Feb 3, 2008
    The beging was great! had all the makings of a good movie......then it just flat out sucked. All of the plot just came to a crashing end, they didnt even show how the hotel scene went down. How can the main charicter just be cut out of a movie with no explination? And, just when you think you might get some get some little closer on the film, the damn credits come on. How anyone in thereThe beging was great! had all the makings of a good movie......then it just flat out sucked. All of the plot just came to a crashing end, they didnt even show how the hotel scene went down. How can the main charicter just be cut out of a movie with no explination? And, just when you think you might get some get some little closer on the film, the damn credits come on. How anyone in there right mind would say this is the best movie of the year, I don't know. It was a horrible way to end a movie, and makes me think that I should be a director. Becasue anyone could do that and make millions of dollars. If all you have to do is make a few exciting shooting scenes and then roll the credits. Who would chose that as a job. Expand
  30. FrankMonteleone
    Jan 7, 2008
    The key to going to the movies is fairly simple, to be entertained. When the movie is good, you feel as though you are part of the cinematic landscape, and you move with the participants. When it stinks, you know you are watching a movie, and feel very far from the screen. After a spirited start, I found myself drifting back into my seat, and watching an arcade game unfold before me.The key to going to the movies is fairly simple, to be entertained. When the movie is good, you feel as though you are part of the cinematic landscape, and you move with the participants. When it stinks, you know you are watching a movie, and feel very far from the screen. After a spirited start, I found myself drifting back into my seat, and watching an arcade game unfold before me. Contrary to those who have professed their love for this film, and McCarthy, I found no redeeming value or statement from this film. I found myself more and more annoyed at the 'puppets with guns' dancing through a non-reactive society. There are many ways to communicate the theme of an indifferent society, but an uncaring Sheriff appeared more expositional than thematic, and by the last forty five minutes, I was left wondering if the three teenagers sitting behind me who had already walked out on this snoozer were rbighter than me. The Emporer had no clothes, and No country was missing a plot. Expand

1. It’s a near masterpiece.
    Joel and Ethan Coen's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's 2005 novel is an indisputably great movie, at this point the year's very best.
    It's the most ambitious and impressive Coen film in at least a decade, featuring the flat, sun-blasted landscapes of west Texas -- spectacularly shot by cinematographer Roger Deakins -- and an eerily memorable performance by Javier Bardem, in a Ringo Starr haircut.