6.3

1. Nov 28, 2012
    This is possibly my favorite movie ever. It's not for everyone, but if you like unique, intelligent, creative, engaging films you better not pass up on this one. Don't go into it with expectations of some Hollywood-esqe experience, this is a very different creature. I almost never watch movies more than once, but I have a desire to watch this movie pretty much annually. If you like thisThis is possibly my favorite movie ever. It's not for everyone, but if you like unique, intelligent, creative, engaging films you better not pass up on this one. Don't go into it with expectations of some Hollywood-esqe experience, this is a very different creature. I almost never watch movies more than once, but I have a desire to watch this movie pretty much annually. If you like this movie, check out other films by Hal Hartley (Henry Fool, Book of Life, etc). I've never seen one I haven't been impressed with. Expand

Hartley's most ambitious film, but it's also among his most uneven, shifting away at moments when its characters should be allowed to connect, underemphasizing some themes, overemphasizing others, and letting a general clash of ideas stand in for momentum.
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Deadly dull in stretches, and just plain embarrassing in others.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    The film is little more than a stylish exercise in revisionism whose point -- we create, then destroy our own monsters in order to assure ourselves we're human -- is no doubt true, but serves as a rather thin moral to such a knowing fable.