5.3

1. Aug 5, 2014
    Noah starts off surprisingly terrible and then manages to rise just above mediocrity in the end. A Strange way to present the story. It was no fun at all. The visuals were good at times.
  2. May 1, 2014
    Noah tries to be an epic biblical journey, a visual spectacle, a psychological thriller, but it fails in every aspect. It's true, the performances are great, but there's something about the plot that turns out to be dull and flat. Aronofsky has done way better films.
  3. Apr 7, 2014
    No, I didnt like this. First of all this movie is rough misinterpretation of Bible story, for me, religious man, this is bad. I am not any sort of religious fanatic, I am not going to curse this movie, no. I just didnt enjoy the fact of such Bible rework. Second, actors are kinda overplaying, especially Conelly and Watson. I know Conelly is a great drama actress, and I like her, but thisNo, I didnt like this. First of all this movie is rough misinterpretation of Bible story, for me, religious man, this is bad. I am not any sort of religious fanatic, I am not going to curse this movie, no. I just didnt enjoy the fact of such Bible rework. Second, actors are kinda overplaying, especially Conelly and Watson. I know Conelly is a great drama actress, and I like her, but this movie should be about Noah, God and The Sundering, not about Noahs wife nerves and arguing. I watch movies to enjoy the plot, decorations or actors play, but spitting tears and saliva at the face of Noah is quite disgusting. Scenes of pregnancy and birth accompanying by Watson screams is even more disgusting. This movie is dirty - this is the right word - dirty and dark. This is not a drama, not a disaster film, I dont know what is it. Aronofski is a great director, but I believe he failed this time. Expand
  4. May 6, 2014
    I'm a fairly big fan of Aronofsky, I have enjoyed all of his films and until 'Noah' I considered his portfolio of work to be incredibly consistent in terms of quality.

I went into the cinema with the expectation of perhaps, a great but flawed film. But i wasn't prepared for the mess that is 'Noah' The entire film just felt second rate considering the talent involved. By far

But i wasn't prepared for the mess that is 'Noah'

The entire film just felt second rate considering the talent involved. By far Aronofsky's weakest film but it wasn't just the director who seemed lost here. Clint Mansell's music is normally spectacular to hear but it felt like he was going through the motions as well, the score was bombastic to the point of being irritating, and parts felt lifted straight out of his other scores.

The actors clearly struggled with the hammy, preachy dialogue. Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson in particular were impressive in the few short scenes they actually had something worthwhile to do or say but it never made me care even remotely about what was happening on screen. Russell Crowe and Ray Winston on the other hand felt like they were on auto pilot, both great actors but the truth is we have seen them play these sort of roles before, and better. Still, it's nothing new to see good actors dragged down in bad films so I can't really blame some of the cast.

The rest of the characters barely had a word to speak, and then later in the film the audience is expected to care about them when the overblown thematic's come to their fruition, simply poor storytelling.

And then we have Anthony Hopkins playing the wise old man character, with a particular sweet tooth for berries. Sigh. I wont even bother with the ridiculous rock giants...

There were a few good scenes, in particular later in the film when Noah tells the creation story with elements of evolution mixed in; sure to piss a lot of people off but at least it felt raw and passionate.

But a couple of good scenes and some artsy visuals doesn't raise a film from mediocrity, there are some serious double standards going on when a film like Noah gets good reviews from critics while other generic blockbusters get slated.
  5. Apr 14, 2014
    Personally I was divided by 'Noah'. I'm not well acquainted with the intricacies of the Bible story so I entered the cinema not really sure what to expect. I immediately, however, recognized that this rendition of the story would be embellished and changed, something I have absolutely no problem with.

I thought the first half of the movie was interesting and actually rather good. It was well shot and, as an origin story for humanity on this early version of earth, quite effective. I thought the depiction of the animals as less evolved versions of their modern counterparts was a nice touch. Taken out of context of the biblical scripture it had a good, mythical element to it's story which I appreciated. Sure there are a few inconsistencies here and there especially regarding the biology of repopulating the earth from one family (severe inbreeding... although it may explain a few things about the state of humanity now... Joke) but I was happy to overlook them as I just saw the story taking place in a parallel reality.

However, when Ray Winstone starts to get involved I thought it all went to **** In the second half of the movie Aronofsky throws his subtle camera work and interesting tale of legend out the window and replaces it with Hollywood drama and CGI bonanza. Granted, the effects look great but it was boring. Plus all the time on the Arc gave Emma Watson a chance to really show off her acting talent... of which she has none. Her constant crying or screaming in her remarkably quick childbirth were just awful.

So I'm giving it a 5. I wish Aronofsky had chosen to continue to deal with the story with the care and artistic integrity he used in the first half of the movie. It can not redeem what was simply just an awful, cliched final act.
  6. May 16, 2014
    So-So... Well thought out details to fill the gaps in bible story. Special effecs good to OK. Expected a little more from a Russel Crow flick, but good enough to rent from Red-Box when available.
  7. May 17, 2014
    Noah may be visually outstanding and very well-acted, but it is unable to satisfy due to a weak third act and unnecessary liberties Darren Aronofsky decides to take.
  8. Apr 4, 2014
    I wasn't expecting any accuracy to the bible story but this was frustating. So many drugs man. Don't watch. Unless you like special effects and CGI, but if so keep away from the plot
  9. Apr 5, 2014
    It would be hard to predict who might like this show, and who might not.

If you had never heard the story of Noah, and had no religious interest in the film, you might think it was a decent, not great, epic movie. Some things were over the top, but some things were really pretty cool. I enjoyed it for what it was. If you expect this to be a religious exposition of the Bible in
    It would be hard to predict who might like this show, and who might not.

If you expect this to be a religious exposition of the Bible in detail, with a Christian message underneath, don't even think about seeing it. The creators of this movie took the simple basics of the Noah story and then turned it into a modern fantasy tale.
  10. Mar 28, 2014
    There is as much good as bad in “Noah” with good being the acting of Russell Crowe as the title character doing a strong role convincingly with Jennifer Connelly as his wife, repeating a role she played opposite Crowe in “A Beautiful Mind”. Their sons are played by Douglas Booth as the eldest boy Shem, Logan Lerman themiddle son Ham and with Leo Carroll as the youngest Japheth and EmmaThere is as much good as bad in “Noah” with good being the acting of Russell Crowe as the title character doing a strong role convincingly with Jennifer Connelly as his wife, repeating a role she played opposite Crowe in “A Beautiful Mind”. Their sons are played by Douglas Booth as the eldest boy Shem, Logan Lerman themiddle son Ham and with Leo Carroll as the youngest Japheth and Emma Watson as the adopted daughter Ila.

The central story of the bible of Noah building an Ark, taking his family and two of every earthly creature, spending 40 days and nights at sea and starting a new world. (I have very little knowledge about how the world would be repopulated but I suppose that is for bible studiers to answer.) The story has been expanded---one of the bads of the film is the length of the movie--to include a super villain Tubal-cain, a descendant of the Abel killer, his brother Cain, played by Ray Winstone,--by the director Darren Aronofsky and he with co-writer Art Handel. I am almost sure there were no such characters as The Watchers, live rock formations, in the bible though I was told they were the equivalent of Nephilim, supposedly fallen angels. The Watchers are voiced by unrecognizable sounds of Frank Langella and Nick Nolte.

The watchers are the biggest waste of time--and they are a big part of the second half--but save the director and writers explaining how the Ark was built and how the creatures were gathered. The use of special effects is becoming an excuse not to explain things in movies and bringing a certain unreality to the screen.

The production values are first rate and even the musical score never overtakes the story.

“Noah” is neither a good or bad movie though it is good to see Russell Crowe handling a deep role with ease as he did in his early days but even with that though Moses will always be Charlton Heston, Crowe may not always be Noah.
  11. Apr 9, 2014
    Noah is definitely not one for the purists. Opening in a bleak landscape and adopting a preachy tone, the film takes a good hour to really get going. Darren Aronofsky, usually one of the best visual directors around, takes a fair while to bring his undoubted talent to the fore concentrating instead on character development and uninteresting family dialogue. Even the visual effects,Noah is definitely not one for the purists. Opening in a bleak landscape and adopting a preachy tone, the film takes a good hour to really get going. Darren Aronofsky, usually one of the best visual directors around, takes a fair while to bring his undoubted talent to the fore concentrating instead on character development and uninteresting family dialogue. Even the visual effects, including some rock monsters that look as if they have just stepped out of a Transformers movie, seem dislocated from everything else going on at this time. In fact, it's not until the tremendous battle for the ark that things start to improve. From here, it's onwards and upwards and the cast finally have some dialogue and drama to sink their teeth into. A crazed Russell Crowe starts to lose it; Jennifer Connelly steals the acting honours in just two scenes; Emma Watson cries a lot, but shows real promise here, and even Ray Winstone is rather good in a baddie role that he can play in his sleep.

Once aboard the ark Aronofsky finally delivers what one has come to expect from him and the visual effects also become more integrated into the story. The animals arrival at the ark is wonderful as is a backwards tracking shot of the vessel from end to end. Also, one sequence is surprising in its unpredictability. Ultimately you leave the cinema fairly satisfied even as you begin to question things like; if they are the only ones left how did they re-populate? Oh well, it's only a film.
  12. Apr 18, 2014
    While it left me feeling drained as I left the cinema, "Noah" was technically superb, offering yet another outlet for Darren Aronofsky to showcase his skill as a director, and well-acted; Russell Crowe, in particular, fit the lead better than I expected he would; his performance is haunted, sunken and finely nuanced. It drags, it feels an hour longer than it actually was, and only looselyWhile it left me feeling drained as I left the cinema, "Noah" was technically superb, offering yet another outlet for Darren Aronofsky to showcase his skill as a director, and well-acted; Russell Crowe, in particular, fit the lead better than I expected he would; his performance is haunted, sunken and finely nuanced. It drags, it feels an hour longer than it actually was, and only loosely adherent to the Bible, which may leave some offended. But it was an impressive piece of filmmaking, even if its entertainment value didn't quite measure up. Expand
  13. May 11, 2014
    As an Atheist, i dont care about accuracy.

Its just dull. **** action sequence, 2 hours of pointless stuff, then action sequence, then done. More or less a waste of time, its not very good. Also, the acting is quite **** so thats done
  14. Mar 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was quite disappointing in the way it was hyped as this bold version of the telling of Noah. The story Darren tells is quite bold and it had a great dark tone to it. However, its message was thrown at you in a way that pissed me off. This idea that god would kill off the bad is a good thing, but to let the good suffer along with them is stupid. The loss of mental control of Noah wasn't something I was taught but maybe it was true. I'm right on the fence with this one; until I read the actually story (which is something I need to do). Maybe the story was true which would piss me off more than I'm already at. In the context of the bible of course. Stories of things that I believe were put there to tell the world what is wrong and right. Nothing to be interpreted as real life. So if this was the real story of Noah, then I've lost most my fate in the Bible all together. The story of how one man could get something wrong from god was good and the extent of his awakening was pretty satisfying. Though the decision of Noah to go to that extent where he thinks god is telling him he should kill kids is ridiculous and I wouldn't want a god like that. Though his revaluation at the end kind of made up for it. So at this point its more of a good movie than a bad, but I've got to read the story to see how much the movie is true to it. 7.6/10 Expand
  15. Apr 15, 2014
    Over dramatized; that's what I told myself about 5 minutes into this drawn out epic, and that feeling only continued to overpower my thrill of this fantastical story which includes the Watchers within a decently explained creationism framework. Aronofsky is such a skilled director that I didn't think he would ever rely on such an unevenly paced story, disjointed and overly emotionalOver dramatized; that's what I told myself about 5 minutes into this drawn out epic, and that feeling only continued to overpower my thrill of this fantastical story which includes the Watchers within a decently explained creationism framework. Aronofsky is such a skilled director that I didn't think he would ever rely on such an unevenly paced story, disjointed and overly emotional characters, or plot devices that stretched the movie to an uncomfortable length, while failing to truly complete the yarn. That being said, much of the drama culminated in Watson's outtro, which was finally well executed... thereby making sense of the build up, yet not in a way that warranted the sloppy footwork of the preamble. Expand
  16. Apr 11, 2014
    Any logical person will know that the Bible is a work of fiction, The director also thinks this as he has openly created Noah as a fantasy movie and it does not try to pretend to be anything else, people who have liked any other big blockbuster fantasy movie like the LOTR series will probably enjoy this movie. I can see why some people are creating a fuss about this movie because theAny logical person will know that the Bible is a work of fiction, The director also thinks this as he has openly created Noah as a fantasy movie and it does not try to pretend to be anything else, people who have liked any other big blockbuster fantasy movie like the LOTR series will probably enjoy this movie. I can see why some people are creating a fuss about this movie because the director Darren Aronofsky makes it clear in every scene that this stuff obviously did not happen. Anyone who tries to argue that this movie was based on a true story would get laughed at, Aronofsky does not even attempt to hide the logical problems with the source material instead he puts a spotlight onto them and goes out of his way to remind people that the story he is telling is pure fantasy. Expand
  17. Mar 30, 2014
    Though it's almost undone by some absolutely ridiculous conceptual elements throughout, Darren Aronofsky's "Noah" still retains its entertainment value with a bevy of powerful performances and some characteristically striking visuals for the director.
  18. Mar 31, 2014
    This movie is interesting. The beginning is very hard to understand, with odd editing choices and a sluggish pace. The middle of the film is pretty good, with some standout fight sequences, but still no story that makes sense. Then the end of the movie drags on in an overly dramatic sequence on the ark. The acting is alright, with Ray Winstone being the standout. But ultimately none of theThis movie is interesting. The beginning is very hard to understand, with odd editing choices and a sluggish pace. The middle of the film is pretty good, with some standout fight sequences, but still no story that makes sense. Then the end of the movie drags on in an overly dramatic sequence on the ark. The acting is alright, with Ray Winstone being the standout. But ultimately none of the characters are put to good use. However, some the CGI is very good, the "world-creation" scenes being the standouts. But, in the end, the movie fails. Expand
  19. Mar 30, 2014
    The acting is great and it's a well-made movie overall. It could have been a great movie by accurately portraying Noah and his relationship with God. The movie could have expanded on the story on Noah in much the same way while keeping these essentials truths 1. Noah loved God and clearly heard His voice. There was a relationship there. 2. God loves people and He wanted to preserve themThe acting is great and it's a well-made movie overall. It could have been a great movie by accurately portraying Noah and his relationship with God. The movie could have expanded on the story on Noah in much the same way while keeping these essentials truths 1. Noah loved God and clearly heard His voice. There was a relationship there. 2. God loves people and He wanted to preserve them as much as the animals through the flood.
    I highly recommend reading the original story in Genesis chapters 6 to 8 (or 1 to 8 since the movie talks about creation too).

For non-Christians I recommend both seeing the movie and reading the original story in the book of Genesis in the Bible. Then read the book of John to put God's love for us into context.

For Christians, I suggest reading the 3-part article on Noah at Christianity Today magazine and then decide whether to see the movie. Search for the articles "Noah: Five Positive Facts about this Film", "Noah: Five Negative Features about this Film" and "Noah: Application for Christians and Hollywood". The Focus on Family PluggedIn review is wimpy and seems like it is trying to avoid offending anyone by holding back their opinions, perhaps to avoid discouraging Hollywood from making more movies on Bible events.

The movie does not closely follow the Bible's account step-by-step. See the press release from Paramount pictures for more details. "The film is a dramatization of the major scriptural themes and not a line-by-line retelling of the Bible story."
  20. Mar 31, 2014
    Nick Nolte rock monster. Nick Nolte rock monster. Nick Nolte rock monster. Nick Nolte rock monster. Nick Nolte rock monster. Nick Nolte rock monster...
  21. Apr 18, 2014
    Noe es una historia interesante donde se cuenta con un excelente elenco de actores, la película suele rodarse y tornarse lenta pero al mismo tiempo interesante es una combinación que no me gusta mucho pues en ciertas partes predomina el aburrimiento y la desolacion
  22. Apr 9, 2014
    Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie NiceNice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Expand
  23. Mar 31, 2014
    This movie was one I was skeptical about since the first trailer. Yes, it is directed by Darren Aronofsky. And while he has a pretty good track record, I honestly did not love this film. It was intriguing in some standout scenes, and it was very beautifully shot, but I felt that it wasn't well put together and the editing was a bit "off". The movie was filled with little continuity errors,This movie was one I was skeptical about since the first trailer. Yes, it is directed by Darren Aronofsky. And while he has a pretty good track record, I honestly did not love this film. It was intriguing in some standout scenes, and it was very beautifully shot, but I felt that it wasn't well put together and the editing was a bit "off". The movie was filled with little continuity errors, and overall screw-ups. It didn't have a great start, and then got gradually better, it then got to an incredibly well-shot action scene which definitely upped my review, but, it then got boring and predictable, it went on for far too long and didn't have the intrigue that Aronofsky's other films have clearly shown. So, yes, it's worth renting, but I honestly wouldn't go out of your way to see this film. Expand
  24. Mar 30, 2014
    So the movie has some very good moments such as the acting and Aronofsky's direction, some very bad moments such as the length and some of the horrible special effects, and some strange moments such as the rock Transformers that move as if they were animated with go-motion technology. In the end the movie is okay, I don’t dislike it, but I have no desire to watch it again. However forSo the movie has some very good moments such as the acting and Aronofsky's direction, some very bad moments such as the length and some of the horrible special effects, and some strange moments such as the rock Transformers that move as if they were animated with go-motion technology. In the end the movie is okay, I don’t dislike it, but I have no desire to watch it again. However for something I originally had no desire in seeing, it was definitely better than what I imagined it would be. Expand
  25. Apr 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be clear on this review: I did NOT read the bible story of Noah's ark recently when going into this film. I wasn't looking for a faithful adaptation or something to recapture my feelings on my first experience reading the bible: all I was looking for was a good film.

And, after the beginning and middle parts of the film went by, It didn't look like I would get it and I was ready to give this film a 4/10. While it may have had artistically stunning visuals, solid acting and a compelling story: my reasonable enjoyment of it was hampered by its shallow script, underdeveloped characters and their various plot points, weak villain and its occasional sluggish pacing. That was when I noticed a change in the third act, and my enjoyment was rekindled again. Aronofsky did a fantastic job at portraying Noah's complexity in the last third: where he was at constant battle with himself contemplating on what the right thing to do was, what he felt he had to do for his 'lord'. Some of the other characters gained an extra dimension to them too (Naameh and ila in particular). Perhaps the biggest factors in the last third that really appealed to me were its great messages, and genuine emotions shared between characters at the ending. That was enough to take my rating of this film up to 6/10. Still not a great film: but a surprisingly decent and occasionally epic film that I was glad I saw in the end; for the aspects that were worth it at least.
  26. Aug 3, 2014
    A nice fiction/adventure story. I liked the rock creatures, unlike most people who reviewed the film! It made the movie a lot of interesting! Some parts of the movie were actually good! Overall a good movie, something to watch on Netflix if youre bored.
  27. Dec 20, 2014
    We all know Noah and the great flood. I won't go into the details of it. Story line is good, Russell and Emma performances were good. The funny thing is Noah got help from fallen angels such as azazel and Semjaza to build the ark. In history, these 2 and the other fallen angels were punished and locked during enoch time, so it's been long before noah time. I generously give 6 stars becauseWe all know Noah and the great flood. I won't go into the details of it. Story line is good, Russell and Emma performances were good. The funny thing is Noah got help from fallen angels such as azazel and Semjaza to build the ark. In history, these 2 and the other fallen angels were punished and locked during enoch time, so it's been long before noah time. I generously give 6 stars because it's a good movie to watch. Expand
  28. Aug 9, 2014
    Usually everyone knows what it's about after reading the title, but the thing is how much it will surprise us with newly initiated contents like visuals, story alteration, performance and finally 3D. There are many versions of 'Noah's Ark' story including animations. So I expected it wouldn't work as a full-length feature film, Especially in live-shot version. But got a good response byUsually everyone knows what it's about after reading the title, but the thing is how much it will surprise us with newly initiated contents like visuals, story alteration, performance and finally 3D. There are many versions of 'Noah's Ark' story including animations. So I expected it wouldn't work as a full-length feature film, Especially in live-shot version. But got a good response by performing decently everywhere. A perfect way to say about the movie is it was an ancient version of the movie '2012'. No science involved, only fantasies. Remember the character Noah was not exactly a good guy either bad in this story. He was portrayed in such a dark and complicated personality who take the responsibility that was given to him by the creator.

After witnessing his father's murder, now Noah is a grown up lives with his wife and three children along with one adopted daughter. One night he dreams with the unclear visuals. The next day he visits his grandfather to know more what the dream is about. Then he comes to know the message and prepare to face it. In between, a war commence waged by a king to save humanity. Who wins, who loose and how it all happens comes later with a few brutal incidents.

I like this director's 'The Wrestler' and 'Black Swan' than his other movies which were a massive hit. I expected this particular story could be more realistic manner, but I was wrong and it was a fairy-tale kind of approach made for grown ups. Why it suits only for adults? Because so many elements were too rude, especially inclusion of all the intense violences were not in favor of children to view. Other than that there's no nudity or sex scenes. All this is because of Noah was exhibited in such a strange shade. That end scene where Noah was drunk I can't even believe it. In the last half an hour Russell Crowe's role turns into what he did in 'Les Misérables' versus Emma Watson (Hermione, who was defenseless).

‘‘The rain has stopped
    but the creator has not smiled.’’

This is the story that must inspire the viewers, though it won't do that. One thing it did right was it was completely a different. Awesome visuals and really I enjoyed watching it in digital 3D. The cast was not bad at all, as being in a main role Russell Crowe had large portion and others were just into it to show their presence. Overall, I feel it was taken as a challenge by the filmmaker, but a well done work, definitely not offensive, maybe slightly regarding religious perspective. Entertainment wise, it was a better movie, especially for a film adaptation. In my opinion, I believe it is okay to see at once.
  29. Jan 25, 2015
    This is a film that gets a pass from me (nothing else) because putting together a big film is always hard and the performances by everybody are correct. The film is watchable and kind of entertaining. Not much more going on with this fictional take on how the invented events wrote by some men centuries ago in the Bible. Decent.
  30. Jul 7, 2014
    It's hard to believe that Noah is actually produced, wrote & directed by Darren Aronofsky, the very man behind masterpiece like Black Swan. The artistic approach, the dramatization is just fail. Classless weak scenes scattered everywhere.
    Even the animals & ark, 2 important "characters" in every story about Noah, don't stand out. They're just being used as a complementary objects. Why don't give them larger portion? Since VFX is no longer an obstacle for movie maker these days, this is a question should be asked to writing department.

Well, there are some decent ideas, yes. Like loyalty issue or the scientific visualization of 7 Days of Creation. But since they (the movie maker) are not brave enough to bring Noah out of conservative view, those ideas are left unexplored.

After all, Noah is not being made with the intention of raising a thoughtful debate about religion, but instead it will raise a debate about Darren Aronofsky quality as a film maker.
  31. Jul 12, 2014
    Darren Aronofsky brings Noah into the 21st century with this silly but thought-provoking visual-effects ridden blockbuster epic. The special effects and family conflicts work, but more respect to it's source material and stronger sub-plots would have improved it.
  32. Aug 4, 2014
    As a movie, not from a religious point of view, this is a boring movie. Utterly unbelievable and dark. I played the last 45 mins at 2x speed. I do not know how much is historically correct, but I have never seen or heard about anything in history that was close to what is in this film. For a 2 plus hour film, no time was spent dealing with the struggle to build the ark. Poof it wasAs a movie, not from a religious point of view, this is a boring movie. Utterly unbelievable and dark. I played the last 45 mins at 2x speed. I do not know how much is historically correct, but I have never seen or heard about anything in history that was close to what is in this film. For a 2 plus hour film, no time was spent dealing with the struggle to build the ark. Poof it was built in 2 mins and all the kids were grown. Expand
  33. chw
    Apr 10, 2015
    One would think this focuses on Noah's Ark. But instead it focuses on the consequences of a pregnant girl, while on the ark. Honestly, extremely overrated. Critics do not realize what good acting is or what a good story is anymore.
  34. Dec 20, 2014
    A big-budget Biblical flick that tries to add some psychological drama to the spectacle. Succeeds in some areas, but fails in others. The CG babies were almost as bad as the one in Twilight.
  35. Jun 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. $130 million? $130 million should have made the movie a lot better. Okay, I'll admit it, I liked the graphics. Giant world-covering tsunamis do actually look good. However combine that with a story many centuries old, and mix it with a madman who carries the name Noah, and throw in some random rock people, and this movie becomes plain disrespectful. Battle scenes? Rubbish. Lame tactics (they only charged and used infantry, no cavalry, siege engines, or arrows, javelins, shields, not even slings!), men with no swords, and this adds on to the level of disrespect this movie brings on. If you're Jewish or strongly Catholic, this will not make you happy at all. Expand
  36. Aug 26, 2014
    Noah was an entertaining spin on the classic biblical tale that'd be able to capture an audience greater then the diehard religious faithful. Could have been a bit shorter.
  37. Jul 2, 2014
    If you didn't tell who the director of the new Noah movie was I would assume almost immediately that it was Michael Bay, not the talented Darron Aronovsky that everyone has come to know. I'm not rating this movie from a Biblical standpoint because everyone should know by now that it isn't accurate at all. (fallen angels that look like rock versions of Optimus Prime, no wives for the otherIf you didn't tell who the director of the new Noah movie was I would assume almost immediately that it was Michael Bay, not the talented Darron Aronovsky that everyone has come to know. I'm not rating this movie from a Biblical standpoint because everyone should know by now that it isn't accurate at all. (fallen angels that look like rock versions of Optimus Prime, no wives for the other two sons, someone actually getting into the ark) This movie is being completely rated based completely on the production which is sorely lacking in an interesting story. First the good is that the leads do an excellent job of acting the story out and Ruselle Crowe hasn't looked this alive in a movie in about ten years. The scenery is also quite the spectacle and the special effects are almost Bay-like and definitely had a lot of money put into them. That money was spent in vain though. First this movie needed an actual script that didn't sound like it was written by a five year old. Some of the one liners in this movie are actually almost painful to listen too. The acting by a few of the minor characters is awful. The directing by Aronovsky almost seems like the man is truly confused. He almost doesn't even seem to know where this movie was going. The score is almost too ridiculous for its own good. Its constantly too epic and blasts practically throughout the entire movie even when a scene doesn't have any tension whatsoever. Ultimately the bad outweighs the good in this movie. Anybody into explosions and Transformers will be into this film but anyone who actually wants to see a good movie might as well steer clear of this one. Expand
  38. Nov 10, 2014
  39. Nov 13, 2014
    "Noah" 10 Scale Rating: 5.0 (Mediocre) ...

"Noah" 10 Scale Rating: 5.0 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: The cast was outstanding, especially Russell Crowe as Noah. The film goes through several stages of Noah's life and his personality changes throughout. Crowe was more than capable of making that seem realistic and believable. The film's base premise is a man balancing what he believes is right with what is best for humanity. That aspect was interesting and comes to a head late in the final act. Portions of the last 30 minutes are amazing. At it's core, it's also an interesting take on a tale that we all know by heart.

The Bad: It's too long and isn't quite interesting enough to fill the time. The first hour or so is difficult to get through and the last 10 minutes drag on way too long. Some aspects are sort of silly as the film blends historical fiction with sword and sorcery. It doesn't mesh well.
  40. Nov 27, 2014
    *Keep in mind, if you've read the Bible or religious in any sort of way, DO NOT watch Noah*

I enjoyed half of Noah (get to that in a moment). Russell Crowe is excellent in the title role and the great Anthony Hopkins gives great supporting work along with Emma Watson who's proven that she's going places outside Harry Potter. The visuals are great and the rock warriors were the coolest part of the entire movie.
  41. Dec 27, 2014
    Despite its visuals and strong performances, Noah has an uneven narrative and bad storytelling. Not to mention the underused Russel Crowe who was one of the only highlights of this movie. 4/10 (Below Average)
  42. Mar 21, 2015
    Decisamente mediocre, irrealistico e scarsamente attendibile.
    Come peraltro buona parte dei film hollywoodiani, la storia scade nell'ignoranza della fiction.

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    Darren Aronofsky's Noah is not just one of the most ambitious films I've seen this year, it's one of the most ambitious films I've ever seen.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 9, 2014
    Noah may not make much sense, but only an artist could have made it. [7 April 2014, p.74]
  3. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Apr 2, 2014
    Aronofsky’s story of Noah and his ark is far-removed from our collective recollections of Sunday school pageants and Cecil B. DeMille extravaganzas. Instead, this film opts for the sort of human-scaled realism that almost allows us to smell the dank stench of a menagerie cooped up for 40 days and nights on a water-swept barge.