5.4

1. Aug 21, 2014
    Talk about divisive, haha. Though, I think much of the divisiveness surrounding this one is due to many religious folk walking in and expecting a re-enactment of the Bible word-for-word with no added elements and no alteration of anything. Even as a Christian, I realize how stupid that demand is. As a whole, I largely enjoyed Noah. The performances from Russell Crowe, Ray Winstone, and Emma Watson, are all very good. Jennifer Connelly is also alright (though there is one scene where she struggled pretty badly). I also enjoyed many of the added elements, such as the Watchers (the rock creatures). They received the most criticism from hardcore Christians, but for me, I loved what they added to the film and their journey was just as riveting as that of Noah. Up until the flood, this film is brilliant. Post-flood, however, things begin to follow apart (while I liked Winstone's acting, I don't like his character being added and it all felt so cliche). However, it does pick back up again towards the end and convinces me there is brilliance in this somewhat broken film. The cinematography is very consistently beautiful. Some of the shots here are absolutely gorgeous (by some I mean the vast majority). The direction from Darren Aronofsky is also characteristically strong here and while this may not be my favorite film by him, it is still a great example of his talent. Overall, Noah is far from perfect, but is a solid film that does not try to be a Bible film, so do not come expecting that. Rather, it is more along the line of apocalyptic epic, Expand
  2. Aug 20, 2014
    A friend told me it's a story believed and respected by hundreds of millions of people around the world..!!
    Hmmm really..??
    What i feel like that i am watching a world war II movie created by some old Hitler supporting German who is trying to justify the murder of humanity..!! He tried real hard to justify and done a very good job..!!
  3. Aug 19, 2014
    The only thing keeping this thing afloat was the collective effort of the actors. But all their relentless emoting was for naught. They lost their moorings, got caught in tangled story lines, and presumably landed on the isle of B-movieland. Alas.
  4. Aug 19, 2014
    I'm going to step away from all religious interpretations and regard this simply on its merits as a film, not as a traditional biblical story. The problem is, it doesn't really have many merits. This film was simply two hours and fifteen minutes of tedium. The special effects are barely worthy of a SyFy Channel original film. The acting is overly hammy and in some cases mind-numbingly wooden, part of which I feel is the part of the script, which eschews actually writing good dialogue for what seems to be just spewing out statements at random. The editing ranges in style from choppy to lingering overly long on mundane, uninteresting scenes. Everything is just...off. As bad as everything else felt, the score was possibly worse. I've never had issue with the work of Clint Mansell before, but for Noah he's opted for a blaring two note score that just keeps screaming the same two flipping horn blasts in your face over and over again. This is also the first time I would ever describe Aronofsky's directing as "ham-fisted". Everything feels overdone, self-indulgent and overproduced. I usually walk out of a Darren Aronofsky film contemplating the themes and mulling it over in my head to uncover deeper meanings. This one only stayed with me as a bad memory. Expand
  5. Aug 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I must admit I was very biased against this film when I watched it. I generally don't like biblical films, because, in most cases, they put to the big screen what is a matter of inner faith and not some story to entertain the public and get paid for that. This is my view, anyway. Aronofsky's approach, however, does not merely attempt to transform texts into pictures. In fact, a lot of the film's plot details are fictional. Therefore, you do not watch the film to learn what the Bible says about Noah and the Ark. Nor is it an effort to interpret it.

What I really liked was that it presented a different Noah, a different family of his, a different humanity, more realistic and multi-dimensional than the Bible's ones (even if the depiction of the world is neither familiar or historically accurate). Noah here seems to take his fate on his own hands, all these decisions he makes throughout the film are his and his only. The most astonishing detail is how Aronofsky places his dilemmas through the protagonists' thoughts and reactions. Should humanity ever survive? We know that humans always turn evil as the "evil" descendants of Cain. In fact, evil is an inner weakness, that may take many forms, and this is obviously shown in Noah's decision to kill the twins, in Ham's support of the villain or in Shem's attempt to kill his father. Was Tubal-cain wrong about the nature of men and their place in nature? What are the limits of human roles and power? There are a lot of dilemmas worth locating and debating from the beginning to the end. It is great to realize that a film based on such a shallow story is transformed into a study on what is good and evil, what is love, justice and kindness, what is a virtue and what is a weakness. I did not like the ending that seems to put an end to all dilemmas by saying that love is what matters, I would prefer the dilemmas remained there until the end for the audience to consider, but, in any case, this is also what the Bible aims at, presenting love as the most significant virtue, so I do not think of it as a weakness of the film.

Visuals are, of course, impressive, Aronofsky's direction is perfect for the darker looks of the film and Crowe's performance is satisfying. There are some cheesy details, especially the depiction of the Watchers or some overacted sequences, but overall "Noah" is a gripping film that does not hesitate to put aside the original story to discuss some serious issues about humanity and society, and surprisingly succeeds. It is not necessary to agree with Aronofsky's beliefs and interpretations, all you just need to do is try to find out an answer to the questions he raises.
  6. Aug 11, 2014
    Here we find another example of the typical mistake in epic movies nowadays: to excessively fulfill minutes and minutes with (let's recognize it) wonderful special effects, while leaving stories to a last plane, that get stuck and incomplete. So, we just get regular material, nothing transcendental (quite the opposite as the genre wants us to feel)
  7. Aug 11, 2014
    For a Christian it would be hard not to lend a biblical critique to this. It was odd to the point of irritating that a story about Noah not once uses the word "God" in the script, yet it certainly seems typical for Hollywood. There were semi-modern industrial references that seemed way out of place for the historically accepted time period. Even without the biblical errors, the show overall was excruciatingly long and it spends most of its time in a dark and sinister mood. Expand
  8. Aug 9, 2014
    First of all to deal with inane comments regarding deviation from the biblical texts. Firstly, the story in Genesis is slight. Secondly, it didn't actually happen! It's a myth! One of several deluge myths in ancient middle and near east religion. What Aronofsky does is mint a new version, and it works. Expectedly on some levels, as Aronosky uses typical visual inventiveness to tell the story. One highlight is the creation story-within-the-story interlude which is dazzling, another are his invention of the Watchers, and their nod to both Giacometti and Ray Harryhausen. But also unexpectedly, as we are, for the most part rooting for good Old Testament Yahweh and his plans to cleanse the world, such is Aronofsky's ability to depict it as relentlessly mired in vice, and in doing so hold an uncomfortable mirror up to our own rapaciousness. But this would be for nought if Crowe couldn't make the role work. He does, giving Noah pathos, intensity, a deep inner sadness. It's dark, it drags a bit if you're not lapping up the art direction, and arguably loses it's way a little in the final third, redeeming itself at the very end, but this is bold, intelligent film-making in a different league to the vacuous output of someone like Michael Bay. In time will be appreciated as a minor masterpiece. Expand
  9. Aug 9, 2014
    Usually everyone knows what it's about after reading the title, but the thing is how much it will surprise us with newly initiated contents like visuals, story alteration, performance and finally 3D. There are many versions of 'Noah's Ark' story including animations. So I expected it wouldn't work as a full-length feature film, Especially in live-shot version. But got a good response by performing decently everywhere. A perfect way to say about the movie is it was an ancient version of the movie '2012'. No science involved, only fantasies. Remember the character Noah was not exactly a good guy either bad in this story. He was portrayed in such a dark and complicated personality who take the responsibility that was given to him by the creator.

After witnessing his father's murder, now Noah is a grown up lives with his wife and three children along with one adopted daughter. One night he dreams with the unclear visuals. The next day he visits his grandfather to know more what the dream is about. Then he comes to know the message and prepare to face it. In between, a war commence waged by a king to save humanity. Who wins, who loose and how it all happens comes later with a few brutal incidents.

I like this director's 'The Wrestler' and 'Black Swan' than his other movies which were a massive hit. I expected this particular story could be more realistic manner, but I was wrong and it was a fairy-tale kind of approach made for grown ups. Why it suits only for adults? Because so many elements were too rude, especially inclusion of all the intense violences were not in favor of children to view. Other than that there's no nudity or sex scenes. All this is because of Noah was exhibited in such a strange shade. That end scene where Noah was drunk I can't even believe it. In the last half an hour Russell Crowe's role turns into what he did in 'Les Misérables' versus Emma Watson (Hermione, who was defenseless).

‘‘The rain has stopped
    but the creator has not smiled.’’

This is the story that must inspire the viewers, though it won't do that. One thing it did right was it was completely a different. Awesome visuals and really I enjoyed watching it in digital 3D. The cast was not bad at all, as being in a main role Russell Crowe had large portion and others were just into it to show their presence. Overall, I feel it was taken as a challenge by the filmmaker, but a well done work, definitely not offensive, maybe slightly regarding religious perspective. Entertainment wise, it was a better movie, especially for a film adaptation. In my opinion, I believe it is okay to see at once.
  10. Aug 7, 2014
    It may not be a Biblically accurate telling of the tale, but it is a gripping one. It focuses on aspects that you won't hear in Sunday school. It takes a look at the emotional and mental tole the events had on Noah and his family. Watching them break and suffer over what is happening to those not on the ark is powerful. Russell Crowe delivers a fantastic performance as Noah, truly bringing the character's emotional complexity to life as he slowly begins to question why these events are happening, why he was chosen, and what he should do next. It really focuses on the morally grey aspects of the events, and shows that God, or "The Creator" as he is called in the movie, is capable of wrath as well as love.

I feel that this side the movie shows, as well as the fact that it does take some liberties with the Biblical telling of the story, will anger many people. Most likely the Christian audience who refuse to accept anything but the truth. I can appreciate, respect, and understand why those like that will feel that way. So I recommend they avoid it because of that. It was already said before it came out that the movie was not meant or going to be Biblically accurate, so it's best that the two don't mix.

For others though this is a gripping, emotional, and complex movie that I really recommend be checked out. I believe it also has the potential to do something few other movies based on religion do; It has the potential to make people actually interested in what the Bible says about what actually happened. I find that incredibly impressive. As someone who thought the movie would fail I must say I am incredibly impressed with has happened here. It's an all around excellent movie, and one that has the potential to get people interested in the Bible. As far as I'm concerned it's a top-notch movie that should be at the top of your must-watch list.
  11. Aug 5, 2014
    Noah starts off surprisingly terrible and then manages to rise just above mediocrity in the end. A Strange way to present the story. It was no fun at all. The visuals were good at times.
  12. Aug 4, 2014
    Not at all what I expected it to be. Poorly acted, Weak special effects (some of them looked freaking awful considering the huge budget they had), and the story doesn't make a lick of sense. Don't bother with this at all.
  13. Aug 4, 2014
    As a movie, not from a religious point of view, this is a boring movie. Utterly unbelievable and dark. I played the last 45 mins at 2x speed. I do not know how much is historically correct, but I have never seen or heard about anything in history that was close to what is in this film. For a 2 plus hour film, no time was spent dealing with the struggle to build the ark. Poof it was built in 2 mins and all the kids were grown. Expand
  14. Aug 3, 2014
    Now before I share my opinion on this movie I just want to get one thing out of the way. I am a Christian, My relationship with God and his son Jesus is the most important thing in my life! Now with that being said, I absolutely loved Noah! Do not listen to what all of the people are saying about this film. Yes, it does have one particular element where the director obviously took some creative liberties with the story but to me that was okay. The story of Noah is one of the shortest in the Bible, and a lot of the details are left to your imagination. That is where this film comes in, it shows the dark side of Noah. The stories we heard when we were little kids are the same stories per say, but they are much much darker than we could understand. Which is exactly what I loved about this film! Instead of exploring humans through the eyes of God like so many other movies do, this explores God through the eyes of his servants. It shows their struggles, their sacrifices, their doubts and ultimately how strong their relationship with their creator must be in order to make it in this harsh world! Noah is one of the best films I saw all year! If you are a Christian, or even if you're not, give it a try. I'm sure you will be glad you did! Expand
  15. Aug 3, 2014
    The first hour is unbearable, the last hour is boring and the entire movie had no life to it. The epic story of Noah has been turned into a disaster of epic proportions.
  16. Aug 3, 2014
    A nice fiction/adventure story. I liked the rock creatures, unlike most people who reviewed the film! It made the movie a lot of interesting! Some parts of the movie were actually good! Overall a good movie, something to watch on Netflix if youre bored.
  17. Aug 3, 2014
    This film was created for the sole purpose of making fun of the Bible and spit in the face to Christians. Is horribly inaccurate on purpose and Noah looks like a psychopath. Do fallen angels wanted to help the man? Think before you shoot this smoked marijuana, pure chlorine injected and even licked a poisonous frog.
  18. Aug 2, 2014
    A fascinating retelling of the Noah story. An epic derived, not from the biblical telling of Noah, but from Hebrew, Gnostic, and Kabbalist texts, interweaving the familiar story with stark and beautiful pagan imagery to create a wholly unique film. With Noah, Aronofsky proves that the story of the great flood does not belong just to Christians, but comes to us from a multitude of different faiths and, with it, different interpretations.

Fascinating history aside, I would recommend this film on the visuals alone. Aronofsky affects a primordial landscape; the world of Noah is as alien a world as our planet would have been hundreds of thousands of years ago, a wholly different and unfamiliar place. Great care is taken with every detail and I loved the little touches like the animals on the ark consisting of prehistoric creatures.

My only complaint would be that the tone and pacing of the story is a tad disjointed. The movie begins as sort of post-apocalyptic fantasy, slowly evolving into a full-blown LotR styled epic as giants, mystics, and massive battles are introduced, only to take a jarringly dark left turn once Noah and his family are actually on the ark. Though I highly enjoyed the idea that a man who speaks to God can't help but lose his mind, the third act is drawn out needlessly long.

Noah is a fantastic modern epic. No matter your faith or belief, I highly suggest you give this movie a chance. You may be pleasantly surprised with what you find.
  19. Aug 1, 2014
    Aronofsky's film has the same flaw as the Biblical Noah story. At the end, Noah is still hearing voices from on high and believing that, because of that, he is right, infallible, and righteous. The history of humanity has been haunted by these voices from on high resulting in most of the wars, killing, and general misery. Despite the "killing" part of his philosophy, the Cainanite (sic.) King was right in his comments about free will. Noah was a truly evil man. Expand
  20. Aug 1, 2014
    The film presented a few interesting moments and some satisfactory acting especially from Russel Crowe. However, the directing and cinematography were terrible, the script beyond terrible, and the conclusion left much wanting. The oddest addition to the film by far was the symbolic nature of the snakes skin.
  21. Aug 1, 2014
    Noah es una película que lleva una historia bíblica al cine, y lo hace de una forma bien hecha, además hay que destacar que Emma Watson a mejorado como actriz, todos los del reparto tuvieron buenas actuaciones. En general, un muy buen film.
  22. Jul 31, 2014
    Very moving version of the classic old testament story. Really keeps your attention from start to finish. A powerful tale of good versus evil. One man's struggle to decide the fate of humanity.
  23. Jul 31, 2014
    from now on when people tell me to stop waiting my time i will think in this movie, seariously dont watch it. unless you are really a religious one (fanatic), cheers.
  24. Jul 21, 2014
    Dark, brooding and surreal; Aronofsky's epic is beautifully shot and ambitiously conceived. Most importantly it gives Biblical lore a healthy dose of human realism - not a bad thing at all.
  25. Jul 20, 2014
    We shouldn't be disappointed that this movie doesn't repeat the biblical story of Noah. We know that the Noah story borrows many elements from the Epic of Gilgamesh. This movie creates an even deeper story that finds that man has destroyed his environment and his lust for violence and domination has brought him to the brink of ruin. It recreates the whole history of creation by fast forwarding the “days” of creation into the evolution of the universe and the life forms on earth. This is a new and revivifying story and one that needs to be told alongside our other stories to carry us forward with the mission of Noah to renew the earth all over again. Expand
  26. Jul 19, 2014
    Um filme duvidoso, vamos começar pelo lado bom

Pros
    A ambientação e espetacular e incrivel e inesplicavel, os atores atuaram bem disso nao tenho duvidas

Contras
    A historia fugiu muito do comum, na biblia jesus vem da um aviso a Noé que ele tem que construir a arca a historia que todo mundo conheçe, mas no filme o diretor misturou adão e eva, descendencia, muitas coisas sem noção.
  27. Jul 19, 2014
    As a filmmaker, I would simply be ashamed to present this garbage to an audience. Sub par CGI, horrible acting, dialogue that makes you cringe. The costume department must have had an off day as well. Just awful.
  28. Jul 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Noah started promisingly enough by positioning the titular Biblical character as something of an environmentalist - a completely natural trait to show, as anyone who cares about animals must, by default, also care about their habitats and flora - who was at odds with what appeared to be something of a Man-created wasteland in the souring world around him.

However, from here the film drifted more than the ark atop the floodwaters, ultimately washing up at an underwhelming finale. As an atheist, I've no problem whatsoever with Aronofsky having added rock-angels (the Watchers) to central roles within the first half of Noah's story, as such fallen figures - in other elemental forms - actually do (rarely) pop up in (much, much) lesser-known niche corners of the broadly Christian faith, albeit not in Noah's story. So, it didn't bother me at all that, essentially, some cranky, spidery rock monsters helped Noah build the ark in this film, in preparation for The Flood. Fine.

The problem was that once The Flood gets under way, Crowe's sympathetic Noah switches from being a largely sympathetic and decent (if driven) character to someone who could just be seen as a near sociopath with borderline schizophrenic tendencies, by contemporary standards. After all, if God has decided that the world is to be destroyed, and that *everyone* else must die - as heard/known by Noah alone, of all men - well, that's good enough for Crowe's character, who helps God out by killing/murdering desperate people trying to get aboard the ark as the flood washes in - all the while as The Watchers jerkily play whack-a-mole with the throng trying to get past their perimeter around the ark. Stab, stab, stab. Squish, squish, squish. Splash, splash, splash. No, Noah, no!

Then, once the boat's afloat, Noah's character appears to go somewhat mad, driven by his absolute religious fervour and devotion to the will of God that he alone can tune into, as he prowls and stalks the ark. While that was potentially an interesting treatment - was Noah saving his family, or were they trapped aboard with a madman? - it just felt jarring, as Noah's brooding character became stranger and angrier, creating something of an antihero.

Some ill-advised casting also add a few rocks to the ride - Emma Watson is particularly all at sea; her boat-bound beau has little to do but stand around like a hirsute Hipster, looking cute but gormless; and Ray Winston's character has all the depth of a puddle - don't help, although Tony Hopkins has a cute and kindly cameo.

The terror and power of The Flood was never really to the fore; the wisdom of God's decision (if any) to have a do-over for Humanity never really shone through, and the somewhat turgid pace just saw the film plod along in the second half, like one of those deathly-dull religious films used as filler in the wee hours on smaller TV channels, albeit with brisk enough dialogue, while the score never hit any particular high notes.

It wasn't all dull fare, as Aronofsky added a number of almost stop-motion jump-cut sequences here and there, such as tracing The Creation - a sequence beautifully presented and designed with flickering artistry, and a suggestion that, of course, the Seven Days don't necessarily tally with Man's understanding of days and time. In this regard, Aronofsky pretty successfully - if briefly - tapped into a number of wider religious/spiritual themes that deserve following through, whether by him or another.

So. Conclusion. It was an interesting film that doesn't deserve the nonsensical bile and insults hurled at it from certain Christian fundamentalist quarters. However... it just wasn't a very good one, either, being a little too dull and earthly, for want of a better word. Angry Noah certainly wasn't someone who I'd choose to reboot a world with, put it that way, while a central conceit of the tale - Could *you* live with the guilt if *everybody* else in the world was killed - including every newborn baby and child - except for you and your small family? Could you accept that *you* did *nothing* to help drowning people all around you? - was never touched upon.

I'd be interested if Aronofsky were to take another story from the Bible, Koran or whatever for another film, but as it stands, the thought of having to sit through Noah again would leave me with a sinking feeling...
  29. Jul 15, 2014
    Aronofsky’s long-waited follow-up after BLACK SWAN (2010, 9/10) is a re-enactment of biblically inspired story of Noah’s ark, NOAH is a spectacular visual stunt spiked with Aronofsky’s atheist re-construction of a life-or-death conflict between God’s will and humanity.

continue reading my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
  30. Jul 14, 2014
    Grounded by a superb performance from Crowe and brilliant special effects emphasised with FANTASTIC camera work, Noah is an ambitious, wholly satisfying take on a biblical tale.
  31. Jul 13, 2014
    Forget that the movie completely ignores the actual Noah story and puts an environmentalist spin on it. The look of the movie wasn't good even. Everything looks bleak. The graphics did not impress me. it looked outdated, in fact. Couldn't they have designed the Rock monsters a little better? I know Scifi channel could have done a better job. The story was dull, the characters cranky, and in the end, it all seem pointless. Aronofsky ruined the character of Noah and turned him into a maniac.
    I'm concerned that future generations will turn to this movie and consider this trash as the actual Noah story when it is pure blasphemy and far from what's told in the Bible.
  32. Jul 12, 2014
    Darren Aronofsky brings Noah into the 21st century with this silly but thought-provoking visual-effects ridden blockbuster epic. The special effects and family conflicts work, but more respect to it's source material and stronger sub-plots would have improved it.
  33. Jul 11, 2014
    I just saw this movie and I regret every minute of it. This is the first thing I'm doing after the movie was over, writing a review of how bad it was.
  34. Jul 11, 2014
    I am a longtime fan of the director so my disappointment here is massive. In a nutshell it is a pro-veganism, pro-ecology,pro-self-hating,pro-social isolation and anti-progress gritty reboot of the known tale of the Bible. The main problem with this movie and its most unforgivable trait is that it tries sadistically hard to enforce those ideals to the viewer, to the point that it makes the viewer actually hate the protagonist and his headstrong self-righteous opinions. The society it shows of Sodom and Gomorrah is clearly a parallel of our society today. The only things that differentiate it is the lack of iphones and presence of rugs. 'We are evil and deserve to be destroyed' he preaches. 'It is a crime against nature to eat an animal' he says and insinuates by showing a man gutting a lamb with his bare hands and eating it raw. This is the work of a raging misanthropist wrapped in a Michael Bay exterior so the masses he hates so much will flock and pay to watch his delirium. Despite sharing some of his views,I cannot help but hate this unprecedented ideological enforcement and the movie as a whole as a result. If you can ignore all of the above, the movie has some strong visuals and performances by the cast and maybe you should give it a go. If not stay away. Expand
  35. Jul 8, 2014
    Even if the story is not close to the Holy Books, it is a unique imagination and interpretation of what could have happened with Noah, and it turned out pretty epic so watch out for it is a must see film!
  36. Jul 7, 2014
    It's hard to believe that Noah is actually produced, wrote & directed by Darren Aronofsky, the very man behind masterpiece like Black Swan. The artistic approach, the dramatization is just fail. Classless weak scenes scattered everywhere.
    Even the animals & ark, 2 important "characters" in every story about Noah, don't stand out. They're just being used as a complementary objects. Why
    don't give them larger portion? Since VFX is no longer an obstacle for movie maker these days, this is a question should be asked to writing department.

Well, there are some decent ideas, yes. Like loyalty issue or the scientific visualization of 7 Days of Creation. But since they (the movie maker) are not brave enough to bring Noah out of conservative view, those ideas are left unexplored.

After all, Noah is not being made with the intention of raising a thoughtful debate about religion, but instead it will raise a debate about Darren Aronofsky quality as a film maker.
  37. Jul 6, 2014
    if it hadn't been for the stunning visuals and good casting choice with russell crowe, jennifer connelly and emma watson, this movie wouldn't have fostered. in fact, i'd like to think of NOAH as a weak work of arrenofsky. there were high expectations.
  38. Jul 6, 2014
    This movie can't possibly be directed by Aronofsky. Everything from the art direction, to the acting, the plot and pace was horrible. Goes on to show how corrupted journalists are hypocritical liers...
  39. Jul 6, 2014
    One of the most controversial film of the year. Aronofsky's version of NOAH is a mix up between his usual eccentric approach, and a blockbuster film. Its interpretation of Biblical 'hero' Noah seems to either piss of religious people or acclaimed by critics everywhere. Sure he took great liberties, but the end result is a riveting and unusual 'bible' film that pull no punches in humanizing its hero, a man considered a great prophets by many Religions. Well acted by Crowe in his best performance in years, highly recommended if you are a bit open minded about it. Expand
  40. Jul 5, 2014
    i REALLY liked this movie...it was awesome! i really liked Emma Watsons acting in this movie...and the story line was very well put together, i like the other actor they chose...like Logan Lerman. i really liked this movie and i would recommend you watch it.
  41. Jul 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was fun to watch. Lots of cool things happen in this movie. The real story of Noah is boring as **** so I am glad they changed it to be entertaining. Most people talk about how they love the story of Noah, but most people don't even know a half of it.

People seem to forget that Noah got sodomized by Ham in his vineyard when he was passed out drunk and naked (oh yeah Noah was a boozer) who liked to pass out naked places.

They do make a reference to it in the movie, and I though that alone made the movie awesome.
  42. Jul 2, 2014
    If you didn't tell who the director of the new Noah movie was I would assume almost immediately that it was Michael Bay, not the talented Darron Aronovsky that everyone has come to know. I'm not rating this movie from a Biblical standpoint because everyone should know by now that it isn't accurate at all. (fallen angels that look like rock versions of Optimus Prime, no wives for the other two sons, someone actually getting into the ark) This movie is being completely rated based completely on the production which is sorely lacking in an interesting story. First the good is that the leads do an excellent job of acting the story out and Ruselle Crowe hasn't looked this alive in a movie in about ten years. The scenery is also quite the spectacle and the special effects are almost Bay-like and definitely had a lot of money put into them. That money was spent in vain though. First this movie needed an actual script that didn't sound like it was written by a five year old. Some of the one liners in this movie are actually almost painful to listen too. The acting by a few of the minor characters is awful. The directing by Aronovsky almost seems like the man is truly confused. He almost doesn't even seem to know where this movie was going. The score is almost too ridiculous for its own good. Its constantly too epic and blasts practically throughout the entire movie even when a scene doesn't have any tension whatsoever. Ultimately the bad outweighs the good in this movie. Anybody into explosions and Transformers will be into this film but anyone who actually wants to see a good movie might as well steer clear of this one. Expand
  43. Jun 27, 2014
    If you watch Noah with an open mind, you will be treated to an intense experience that has created a whole new world from one we thought we knew. From the very first scene I knew the movie was going to be well-made, and I was not disappointed. The movie does not hold your hand. As a good movie should, I had unanswered questions, and the movie stayed with me afterwards and the next day.
  44. Jun 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. $130 million? $130 million should have made the movie a lot better. Okay, I'll admit it, I liked the graphics. Giant world-covering tsunamis do actually look good. However combine that with a story many centuries old, and mix it with a madman who carries the name Noah, and throw in some random rock people, and this movie becomes plain disrespectful. Battle scenes? Rubbish. Lame tactics (they only charged and used infantry, no cavalry, siege engines, or arrows, javelins, shields, not even slings!), men with no swords, and this adds on to the level of disrespect this movie brings on. If you're Jewish or strongly Catholic, this will not make you happy at all. Expand
  45. Jun 7, 2014
    People who rated this amazing movie 1 or 0 is what is wrong with the world. Don't listen to the idiots downrating this movie. This is a masterpiece and with top notch performances. Kudos to everyone involved.
  46. May 28, 2014
    Good and ambitious film. An incredible and cohesive movie under his own universe with great story, graphics and characters.

.....
  47. May 27, 2014
    I really enjoyed this film, much more than I was expecting. The rock monsters felt a bit out of place but they were a necessary plot device and I think they did work. I think the film interpretation of the story was very well done and the values that the film was trying to convey came across well for me, it did make me think afterwards and very few films these days do that. The special effects were very well done, the scenery was beautiful and the water effects were powerful and very well done. Expand
  48. May 26, 2014
    Being a Russell Crowe Fan I personally thought he put on an Oscar Winning Performance. There was never any reference to God only to the Creator.. When you add alien looking creatures as the Watchers of The Wall you tend to think the producers believe we were created by Alien Beings.I thought all the actors put in terrific performances and the movie had a strong theme of Good vs. Evil with of course Good winning out. As whacked out as Hollywood is at least up to this point they do not have Evil prevailing. Expand
  49. May 26, 2014
    a breathtaking movie and its nowhere near being a horrible movie for what everybody else says ..This movie can be the most beautifully movie I've seen in awhile .. A True biblical movie that's put together nicely.
  50. May 25, 2014
    As a Christian, I can accept somethings about this movie that could be in the bible. For example there is no mention of people wanting to get onto Noahs ark in the bible. However I am sure during this time period, people probably thought Noah was crazy, but I have little doubt that they tried to get on, with the impending doom. The rock monsters I am not so sure about.

What was
    ridiculous is when Noah flipped out and wanted to kill the unborn. Utter nonsense. Expand
  51. May 17, 2014
    Noah may be visually outstanding and very well-acted, but it is unable to satisfy due to a weak third act and unnecessary liberties Darren Aronofsky decides to take.
  52. May 16, 2014
    A nice fresh take on an old story. I enjoyed the originality and the acting was overall solid. The action sqeuences were amazing. Yes you understand there is a God, you understand, humans are to be punished, you understand love conquers all. This was the basic principle behind the original story but updated in a new unique way. I am a person of faith and I apretiated the new take on it.
  53. May 16, 2014
    So-So... Well thought out details to fill the gaps in bible story. Special effecs good to OK. Expected a little more from a Russel Crow flick, but good enough to rent from Red-Box when available.
  54. May 11, 2014
    As an Atheist, i dont care about accuracy.

Its just dull. **** action sequence, 2 hours of pointless stuff, then action sequence, then done. More or less a waste of time, its not very good. Also, the acting is quite **** so thats done
  55. May 7, 2014
    Seriously, why is everyone freaking out about this? Do I have to be a religious fanatic in order to hate this movie? Because this film was amazing! "Worst movie ever"??? Get over yourselves!
  56. May 6, 2014
    I'm a fairly big fan of Aronofsky, I have enjoyed all of his films and until 'Noah' I considered his portfolio of work to be incredibly consistent in terms of quality. I went into the cinema with the expectation of perhaps, a great but flawed film. But i wasn't prepared for the mess that is 'Noah' The entire film just felt second rate considering the talent involved. By far Aronofsky's weakest film but it wasn't just the director who seemed lost here. Clint Mansell's music is normally spectacular to hear but it felt like he was going through the motions as well, the score was bombastic to the point of being irritating, and parts felt lifted straight out of his other scores.

The actors clearly struggled with the hammy, preachy dialogue. Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson in particular were impressive in the few short scenes they actually had something worthwhile to do or say but it never made me care even remotely about what was happening on screen. Russell Crowe and Ray Winston on the other hand felt like they were on auto pilot, both great actors but the truth is we have seen them play these sort of roles before, and better. Still, it's nothing new to see good actors dragged down in bad films so I can't really blame some of the cast.

The rest of the characters barely had a word to speak, and then later in the film the audience is expected to care about them when the overblown thematic's come to their fruition, simply poor storytelling.

And then we have Anthony Hopkins playing the wise old man character, with a particular sweet tooth for berries. Sigh. I wont even bother with the ridiculous rock giants...

There were a few good scenes, in particular later in the film when Noah tells the creation story with elements of evolution mixed in; sure to piss a lot of people off but at least it felt raw and passionate.

But a couple of good scenes and some artsy visuals doesn't raise a film from mediocrity, there are some serious double standards going on when a film like Noah gets good reviews from critics while other generic blockbusters get slated.
  57. May 2, 2014
    A very well done movie. I went in without knowing much about it. The story is good, the animation is good as well. The story is easy to follow and doesn't leave you confused. I would watch it again, and that says a lot. If you like stories like the Hobbit you will enjoy this movie.Watch it from the perspective of a story you've never heard before and you can't help but love it. I felt a range of emotions: happiness, anger, sadness, hope, despair. Worth the watch, for sure Expand
  58. May 2, 2014
    Saw this movie for free and was angry I spent so much to get in. HORRIFIC! Only thing it has to do with Noah is the title. The actual biblical account of Noah could have made a fantastic movie, this was a bad mix of generic Star Wars type characters that didn't belong, muddled dialog, bad cinematography, horrible special effects and extreme violence that seemed to be thrown in just to have extreme violence. Didn't add to the story one whit. Towards the end seemed to be nothing more than a flagrant attempt to paint important Christian figures as weak and evil. Expand
  59. May 1, 2014
    Noah tries to be an epic biblical journey, a visual spectacle, a psychological thriller, but it fails in every aspect. It's true, the performances are great, but there's something about the plot that turns out to be dull and flat. Aronofsky has done way better films.
  60. Apr 29, 2014
    An interesting movie to say none the less it never stops amazing you. Finally a religious movie that raises the roof and exposes what will happen to the wicked hearted.
  61. Apr 28, 2014
    Very poor and nearly sent me to sleep. The highlights included a scene which followed the earth from its birth to now and Russell Crowes performance. Apart from that it was a dour film in which another Bible adventure was depicted in a boring way. The issue I have with Bible stories is that you know the plot and the ending therefore no suspense or even a slight bit of interest towards the end of the film. Expand
  62. Apr 27, 2014
    This biblical inspired action adventure from Darren Aronofsky is not as great as any of his previous films but it does stand out because of it's darkly narrated plot with superior performances by it's cast. Clint Mansell's score is an asset to the film though the film's CGI went haywire at few places.
  63. Apr 27, 2014
    Dont waste youre money or youre time on this one, if you are going to make a Biblical epic at least follow the story. This was Holly Wood at its worst making things up as it goes along, worst film i have ever seen.
    Total fabrication and not in the same league as other epics like "Ben Hur", "The Robe", "Ten Commandments", it was just drivel.
  64. Apr 25, 2014
    Darren Aronofsy is being billed as “visionary” director, and in general, I would have to agree with that assessment. He's still young, and his fame is based on a mere handful of movies, so there are still great expectations for this brilliant and politically engaged director. With Noah, Aronofsky reached for the sky, almost literally, and went slightly askew in an attempt to do a strange admixture that included disaster movie, blockbuster-for-teenagers movie, and a Biblical epic that would appeal to the faith-based audience. It was a tall order. Did Aronofsky succeed? To a certain extent, although there are some glaring weaknesses.

In general Noah is a sweeping and inspirational film. It explores the faith of one man who was chosen to lead the world forward after certain disaster, and also the frustration of dealing with G-d, who is often silent and remote, or who communicates with signs and wonders that are open to multiple interpretations. Let's not forget that in Exodus, Moses wants to know the Lord's name. The answer in Hebrew has been translated as “I am who I am,” which is inaccurate because it's more literally translated as “I will be what I will be.” What kind of name is that? G-d never gives a straight answer. His answers sound like a New Age philosopher. Yoko Ono would probably come up with lines like that.

Aronofsky mined the Midrash, the rabbinical interpretation of the Bible, for some of his own interpretation. The Midrash is a good source, but Aronofsky also took some strange liberties. Probably the greatest anomaly in the film, or Aronofsky's most fantastical element, is that Noah supposedly received help in building the ark from a horde of fallen angels. These angels appear in the form of giant rock monsters, and they vaguely resemble transformers; they don't just help with the ark—they pretty much do all of the heavy labor. The idea of angels helping Noah is entirely acceptable; rock monsters, however, are a little off-the-wall.

And the costumes sometimes look too modern—did they really wear scarves that are fashionably wrapped around their necks? (Aronofsky is often photographed wearing fashionable scarves.) In one scene, Noah (Russell Crowe) is wearing what vaguely looks like a polo shirt and jeans. There is an overemphasis on the purity and innocence of animals, and the sanctity of vegetarianism. Animals hunt and kill other animals, although they do it by instinct and not design. Aronofsky is reported to be a vegan. Some scholars say the Garden of Eden was meant to be vegetarian; others disagree. Nevertheless, if the Old Testament demanded it, every Orthodox Jew would be a vegetarian to this day. There are strict rules for koshering meat given in great detail in the Bible—killing an animal painlessly is paramount. Kosher slaughter is quick and painless; if pain is incurred even accidentally, then the meat is not kosher. Noah's vegetarianism may have been implied by a Biblical passage where permission to eat meat, with restrictions, seems to have been given after, but not before, the Flood.

Another exaggeration in the film was that some kind of Industrial Revolution was destroying the Earth at the time. No one is sure when Noah lived. However, in Biblical times the population of the planet was just a tiny fraction of what it is today. Even if every individual did something to poison the Earth, with so few people, the affect would be negligible. Nevertheless, the Biblical version states that humans were evil and had to be wiped off the face of the Earth, with the exception of Noah and his family. The story is open to interpretation, especially if the entire story is an allegory, which is another theory.

To complicate matters, shortly after the release of the film, Aronofsky announced that he was an atheist. Atheists are entitled to make Biblical films if they are so inclined, but for the faith-based audience, the director's atheism might be a serious sticking point, if not positively baffling.
  65. Apr 22, 2014
    Is 2014 a magnet to biblical movies?Despite the spot on performance from Emma it just feels like...i don't know 'reverse sci-fi' with too much imagination
  66. Apr 22, 2014
    Rock creatures built the Ark, rock creatures ? Such a weird movie.....using bad cartoons to explain the state of the earth and how it came to be....Movie was watchable but could have been GREAT. The Rock Creatures made the movie laughable.....too much MAGIC....the movie should not be called NOAH because it really was a different movie.
  67. Apr 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have met people who "knew" they would hate this movie before they saw it so they either didn't see it and dis it anyway which makes no sense or they went to the theater and made a point of walking out loudly and rudely. One person said he was VERY angry that the word "God" was replaced with "Creator" and for him it "had to be" downhill from there. A lot of the negative reviews here and elsewhere seem to be coming from the same mindset. Obviously this review is not for these people. Either they won't read it or if they do they won't like it. But for the rest of you, those with open curious minds in search of a film worth spending money on, this is a very good movie. Russell Crowe leads an excellent cast through a script respectful of the Creator and his Creation, especially the innocent, the animals. And we humans must admit that we have not been very good caretakers of this planet and the flora and fauna who share it with us. It's an excellent movie for Earth Day! And it's also full of mindblowing special effects. You won't be bored! Expand
  68. Apr 21, 2014
    So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” (Genesis 6:7)
    The story of Noah is the first apocalypse story ever told. Humanity has become corrupt and vain and now must be destroyed as punishment. In this version of the tale,
    Noah (Russell Crowe), is the last descendant of Seth, Adam and Eve's third son. He is a righteous man tasked by the Creator to save the innocents from humanity's impending doom. The rest of the world is made up of descendants of Cain, Adam and Eve's first son. They are wicked and have corrupted the world, and it is because of this that the Creator wishes to destroy humanity, by sending a massive flood. Noah and his family are tasked with saving the innocent by building an ark that can carry them as well as two of every kind of animal, so that creation can continue after the flood ends.
    The story is only five chapters long in the book of Genesis. It can be read in less than ten minutes, but this movie is almost two and a half hours long. How does such a short story get made into such a long movie? It strays from the story A LOT. There are so many differences between this story and the story in the Bible. There are already so many interpretations of the story, but this film is a very interesting interpretation.
    The particular interpretation that is getting the most attention is that of the Creator. God is referred to as the Creator in this film, and nothing else. The word God is not mentioned once in the entire movie. More observant people in many different religions might be offended by this, but this film is not a particularly religious interpretation of the story. This is a big plus for me. I'm not the biggest fan of movies based on religious interpretations.
    As a movie, it's very entertaining. It's quite slow and could probably be about an hour shorter than it already is, but it is still worth seeing. The special effects are pretty good and it's almost like an action/adventure movie. When we think of movies about the apocalypse, we think about movies that have to do with the apocalypse happening in modern times. The story of Noah is the first recorded apocalypse story we know of, and there are so many other cultures with similar stories of a great flood destroying the world. It's a very serious movie and there isn't any comic relief at all.
    Russell Crowe delivers a fine performance, as does Jennifer Connelly. Anthony Hopkins is a pleasure to watch on screen, as he is always. But this isn't really a movie that's going to be best known for its acting performances, nor its special effects. This is a movie that's going to be known as another interpretation of the story we all know.
    There's something interesting that happens after the movie ends and you walk out of the theater though. You might find yourself wondering if at some point in the future, humanity is to face this story in real life. Have we corrupted our world? If so, are we going to face consequences for it? How is humanity to survive such destruction should it come our way? This aspect is perhaps the best part of the film. It's a conversation starter about the state of humanity today. Perhaps it's relevant to today's world.
    Noah is a movie that is not to be missed. While the Bible may not paint the most horrifying picture of this story that one could imagine, that's where Aronofsky comes in. The film is excellently directed and will take you on a truly fascinating journey.
  69. Apr 20, 2014
    This movies is a waste of money, both in the production of and the going to see of. Not only does it not follow the actual story of Noah, it is fully of absurd situations and creatures that have no real bearing on the story being told. The agnostic and environmentalist agenda is being pushed so hard that it detracts seriously from the movie as a whole regardless of what religion or view point you are coming from. It takes away from what could have been an entertaining movie, that was about something other than the story of Noah, and instead makes it a mixmash of explosions, special effects, poor acting and lines, that is painful to sit through. Sad. Expand
  70. Apr 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My husband and I just saw Noah and we both loved it. Well and bravely written, beautifully acted, creative CGI & not "biblical" but certainly spiritual and ultimately inspiring, especially for nature lovers like ourselves. Noah: "We have to be gentle with the animals and we have to be protective. If something were to happen to them, a small piece of creation would be lost for ever" And so it has. And there are many way to appreciate this movie outside of its reference to the Old Testament story. As clever science fiction/fantasy ~ an intense family drama ~ edge of your seat action/adventure ~ a cautionary tale that could inspire some interesting discussion about the state of the world and our place in it afterward. Expand
  71. Apr 20, 2014
    Not sure how people who query accuracy have a leg to stand unless they were there at the time of Adam, Eve, Noah and friends. However, that does not excuse the film makers coming up with probably the worst film I have ever seen. There is simply nothing positive I can say about it. Refund please, for my wasted time and money.
  72. Apr 18, 2014
    Transformer rocks and that's all you need to know about this nonsensical fantasy film. Bad, very bad. The liberal film critics liked Noah more due to it's left leaning Biblical story.
  73. Apr 18, 2014
    While it left me feeling drained as I left the cinema, "Noah" was technically superb, offering yet another outlet for Darren Aronofsky to showcase his skill as a director, and well-acted; Russell Crowe, in particular, fit the lead better than I expected he would; his performance is haunted, sunken and finely nuanced. It drags, it feels an hour longer than it actually was, and only loosely adherent to the Bible, which may leave some offended. But it was an impressive piece of filmmaking, even if its entertainment value didn't quite measure up. Expand
  74. Apr 18, 2014
    Noe es una historia interesante donde se cuenta con un excelente elenco de actores, la película suele rodarse y tornarse lenta pero al mismo tiempo interesante es una combinación que no me gusta mucho pues en ciertas partes predomina el aburrimiento y la desolacion
  75. Apr 16, 2014
    I would have given this movie a 0 if it wasn't for the spectacular special effects put into this movie. However, I'm not a Christian so I was bored half-way through the movie. It had a weird storyline of Noah killing all humans on earth including himself. To be honest, the movie Evan Almighty was even way better than this. I know, Noah was way more darker but I found Evan Almighty more fun and entertaining to watch. Expand
  76. glg
    Apr 16, 2014
    "Noah" is the worst movie my two friends and I have ever seen in a theater -- and we're in our 60s and love movies, so that's saying a lot. (And no, we aren't religious fanatics.) It's so bad it's laughable, beginning with the Adam and Eve sequence to the Hobbit-ripoff rock monsters. The plot is boring and so full of plot holes (including a huge tent that the characters just happen to put together out of backpacks) that it's beyond stupid.. The acting is bad, even though we all three usually love Crowe. It was like the actors were cringing at having to put up with anything so moronic. Don't waste your money! Expand
  77. Apr 15, 2014
    Noah review

It´s weird that I´ve heard many people saying that it rained on the day they watched Noah and it got even weirder when the same happened to me. My theory is Arnofsky made a pact with god to make it rain while his movie is screening to get us viewers in the mood. If that is true, it may have worked because I kinda liked this movie!

The movie is obviously based around the
    biblical story of Noah, who builds an arch to save the animals and the good from a great flood send by god as a catastrophe to cleanse the world. Arnofsky uses the source material to build his own mythology and world which is an aspect I respect. That is why many aspects created or "added" by Arnofsky don´t feel out of place. This adds tension to the movie as you cannot predict what the characters will do next as Noah is not the cheerful old dude that stuck a thousand animals in a boat that we pictured from what we had heard. This story is a lot darker. The characters are darker, especially Noah whose conviction to what he feels he is meant to do takes him into some VERY scary places. Logan Lerman´s character is a conflicted one too and has a nice arch written for him. The majority of these actors do a good job, even Jennifer Connelly who I thought was gonna be a generic character has his shining moments. I can´t tell you a lot about Emma Watson because holy hell she is beautiful and it got me a little distracted and the dude who bangs her is pretty forgettable as I can´t remember his name and I don´t even feel like looking it up. The one that really shone for me was Iron Man´s director, Jon Favreau. Nah I´m kidding it´s Ray Winstone, but jesus, does he look like Jon Favreau! Ray Winston made the villain as imposing and badass as the character got and I congratulate him on that. Hopkins got a few scenes in this movie and the two of them were charming. He even got his berry!

Aside from the darker parts of this movie, of which there are some that may surprise you and maybe stick in your brain for a few days, this movie is absolutely epic! EPIC, in capitals. From them moments the prophecy is shown you know something big is coming. But when the douchey villain is introduced and the movie starts going from the arch to the villain´s army camp back and forth it starts picking up on the epicness and it all climaxes when the rain drops start hitting that bald Russel Crowes head! That battle sequence was one well done action setpiece. All the rock giants are swinging legions of bad guys across the screen... it is awesome!

As seen in the battle sequences, this movie is very well filmed and directed. It even has an evolution montage which used an awesome technique that made it unique.

This movie goes a little bit further than an epic summer/spring movie and I give it props for it. It isn´t Arnofsky´s best and it won´t leave you burning your brain while you decode it afterwards and it is weirdly edited in some scenes, but it sure is a little bit better than a very good time at the movies.

I give Noah an 8 out of 10.

I do have a question that bothered me throughout the movie: If the rock angel commited suicide why did it go to heaven?? I´ll let Arnofsky go on this one for that Mila Kunis + Natalie Portman scene he gifted us with.
    Check my other reviews in http://thechannelofawesome.blogspot.mx/ !
  78. Apr 15, 2014
    Film felt confused; it just added content inconsistent with original Biblical teaching, but then tried to approach evolution, and even mix in the story of Abraham instead of just telling the story.

Cinematography was quite well--honestly one of the better approaches to use of imagery and special effects which is why I give it a 3. But the film is probably best watched on mute.
  79. Apr 15, 2014
    Saw it yesterday. Just made an account to write this. What a waste of time, money, humor.... You name it. Went out of the movie very disappointed, a little angry too. Story sucks, play sucks, effects sucks. I rate with 1 for those who took the time to get together one of the worste movie ever.
  80. Apr 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be clear on this review: I did NOT read the bible story of Noah's ark recently when going into this film. I wasn't looking for a faithful adaptation or something to recapture my feelings on my first experience reading the bible: all I was looking for was a good film.

And, after the beginning and middle parts of the film went by, It didn't look like I would get it and I was ready to give this film a 4/10. While it may have had artistically stunning visuals, solid acting and a compelling story: my reasonable enjoyment of it was hampered by its shallow script, underdeveloped characters and their various plot points, weak villain and its occasional sluggish pacing. That was when I noticed a change in the third act, and my enjoyment was rekindled again. Aronofsky did a fantastic job at portraying Noah's complexity in the last third: where he was at constant battle with himself contemplating on what the right thing to do was, what he felt he had to do for his 'lord'. Some of the other characters gained an extra dimension to them too (Naameh and ila in particular). Perhaps the biggest factors in the last third that really appealed to me were its great messages, and genuine emotions shared between characters at the ending. That was enough to take my rating of this film up to 6/10. Still not a great film: but a surprisingly decent and occasionally epic film that I was glad I saw in the end; for the aspects that were worth it at least.
  81. Apr 15, 2014
    What should have been an at least 'so bad its good' disaster movie, compounded to create one of the most drab and dull films i've seen in cinema for years. Each line feels as though it drags on longer than its previous, the script in itself as wooden and repetitive as the acting. And one of the most irritating pauses after each and every line to try and emphasise the 'cleansing' or whatever drivel the actor/actress was spouting. I couldn't care less about it's religious inaccuracies, as long as you make it a decent story, but unfortunately the film fails on both accounts. Not worth anyones time. Expand
  82. Apr 15, 2014
    Over dramatized; that's what I told myself about 5 minutes into this drawn out epic, and that feeling only continued to overpower my thrill of this fantastical story which includes the Watchers within a decently explained creationism framework. Aronofsky is such a skilled director that I didn't think he would ever rely on such an unevenly paced story, disjointed and overly emotional characters, or plot devices that stretched the movie to an uncomfortable length, while failing to truly complete the yarn. That being said, much of the drama culminated in Watson's outtro, which was finally well executed... thereby making sense of the build up, yet not in a way that warranted the sloppy footwork of the preamble. Expand
  83. Apr 14, 2014
    Let’s begin where the Book does…

5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. 7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and
    the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. Genesis 6:5-7 KJV

Let’s allow the movie to begin where it desires to as well (these are the first words at the top of the movie’s website)…

The film is inspired by the story of Noah. While artistic license has been taken, we believe that this film is true to the essence, values and integrity of a story that is a cornerstone of faith for millions of people worldwide. The biblical story of Noah can be found in the book of Genesis.

Since its March 28th release (and before, really) I have had the advantage (and in some cases, disadvantage) of reading many passionate reviews… all before I had seen the movie. I was reminded that some of us actually read reviews to decide whether or not we will go to the theater to see a movie. So reviews have their place. As usual, I come to this evaluation process from a bit of a different angle. For the last 20+ yrs. I have been a professional storyteller. You may look at my resume and wonder why a pastor would call himself that, but that’s exactly what we who deliver sermons are doing… we are telling and retelling the stories found in the Scriptures.

If you were/are looking to the Noah movie to retell the story word-for-word as the Scripture does, I nearly certain that you will walk away as many have… disappointed. However, most of us who attend Christian churches would be equally disappointed if we showed up to a worship service and the sermon for the day was solely the reading of Scripture. We want to know some perspective. How does that text apply to my life? What am I supposed to do or be because of what the Scripture teaches? I think this movie does both masterfully. Here a few of the high points that stood out to me:

- total ownership of why God was destroying the earth… the wickedness of man… sin
    - acknowledging God as Creator
    - even enumerating the very acts of creation day by day
    - showing Noah as the righteous yet fallen human that he was
    - even the weird stuff (you already have your list) does not diminish the power of the story

So even if you don’t end up liking the movie, let’s be the ones that are known what we’re for instead of what we’re against. May this retelling of the story of Noah cause audiences to consider the greatness and grace of our God.
  84. Apr 14, 2014
    Like many of the other 'user reviews', I didn't expect to see an exact representation of the biblical account, but I did expect to see a movie that included the basic facts of the 'Noah' story. Unfortunately, this debacle was so far removed from the original story that I'm tempted to call it intentional blasphemy and I'm left wondering whether God will hold the author or authors accountable. My wife and I nearly left the theater when the 'Watchers' were introduced but managed to endure until Russell Crowe told his family that they all would die, implying that God only used them to build a boat to save the animals. Disgusting! Expand
  85. Apr 14, 2014
    Personally I was divided by 'Noah'. I'm not well acquainted with the intricacies of the Bible story so I entered the cinema not really sure what to expect. I immediately, however, recognized that this rendition of the story would be embellished and changed, something I have absolutely no problem with.

I thought the first half of the movie was interesting and actually rather good. It was
    well shot and, as an origin story for humanity on this early version of earth, quite effective. I thought the depiction of the animals as less evolved versions of their modern counterparts was a nice touch. Taken out of context of the biblical scripture it had a good, mythical element to it's story which I appreciated. Sure there are a few inconsistencies here and there especially regarding the biology of repopulating the earth from one family (severe inbreeding... although it may explain a few things about the state of humanity now... Joke) but I was happy to overlook them as I just saw the story taking place in a parallel reality.

However, when Ray Winstone starts to get involved I thought it all went to **** In the second half of the movie Aronofsky throws his subtle camera work and interesting tale of legend out the window and replaces it with Hollywood drama and CGI bonanza. Granted, the effects look great but it was boring. Plus all the time on the Arc gave Emma Watson a chance to really show off her acting talent... of which she has none. Her constant crying or screaming in her remarkably quick childbirth were just awful.

So I'm giving it a 5. I wish Aronofsky had chosen to continue to deal with the story with the care and artistic integrity he used in the first half of the movie. It can not redeem what was simply just an awful, cliched final act.
  86. Apr 13, 2014
    One of the worst movies I have ever seen in years. Do not go to this movie expecting any accuracy to the Bible stories. The acting is ok but the plot is so dragged out and just becomes pointless after the 2 hour mark. I even began to side with the villain at one point hoping that he would end the movie , but nope , it dragged giving me a headache and making me ponder wither to leave or not. Even me giving it a 3 is a bit too generous. Expand
  87. Apr 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The fallen angels were really something to see and added a bit of depth to an otherwise same old story. The animals should have been more brightly colored and have more to do with the story than just falling asleep. Expand
  88. Apr 12, 2014
    not even close to the bible. what a let down. The sad thing is some will watch it and think that was what the bible said. Very sad. If only it would have been called by another name. It might have been an o.k. story.
  89. Apr 11, 2014
    Any logical person will know that the Bible is a work of fiction, The director also thinks this as he has openly created Noah as a fantasy movie and it does not try to pretend to be anything else, people who have liked any other big blockbuster fantasy movie like the LOTR series will probably enjoy this movie. I can see why some people are creating a fuss about this movie because the director Darren Aronofsky makes it clear in every scene that this stuff obviously did not happen. Anyone who tries to argue that this movie was based on a true story would get laughed at, Aronofsky does not even attempt to hide the logical problems with the source material instead he puts a spotlight onto them and goes out of his way to remind people that the story he is telling is pure fantasy. Expand
  90. Apr 11, 2014
    I went to see this full of high expectation,but almost left halfway through I was so disappointed...Lots of looking into the distance, histrionics and overloud music does not compensate for a poor script. Too many holes in the film for my liking,my friend felt the same way.Basically a waste of money, wish I had not bothered. Some of the story was hard to follow too, and did not bear much resemblance to the actual biblical story! Save your money!. An epic it is not inspite of the good actors(Crowe, Winstone & Watson).
    The directing is beyond poor in my opinion and I am a seasoned film viewer! Rubbish!
  91. Apr 10, 2014
    So, it may not follow the bible, but Noah has a powerful message worth telling. The visuals are so incredible. It is one of the most beautiful (in the darkest way) movies that I've ever seen. If you open your mind and don't expect a bible story, you are in for a really good and powerful movie.
  92. Apr 9, 2014
    Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Nice movie Expand
  93. Apr 9, 2014
    Noah is definitely not one for the purists. Opening in a bleak landscape and adopting a preachy tone, the film takes a good hour to really get going. Darren Aronofsky, usually one of the best visual directors around, takes a fair while to bring his undoubted talent to the fore concentrating instead on character development and uninteresting family dialogue. Even the visual effects, including some rock monsters that look as if they have just stepped out of a Transformers movie, seem dislocated from everything else going on at this time. In fact, it's not until the tremendous battle for the ark that things start to improve. From here, it's onwards and upwards and the cast finally have some dialogue and drama to sink their teeth into. A crazed Russell Crowe starts to lose it; Jennifer Connelly steals the acting honours in just two scenes; Emma Watson cries a lot, but shows real promise here, and even Ray Winstone is rather good in a baddie role that he can play in his sleep.

Once aboard the ark Aronofsky finally delivers what one has come to expect from him and the visual effects also become more integrated into the story. The animals arrival at the ark is wonderful as is a backwards tracking shot of the vessel from end to end. Also, one sequence is surprising in its unpredictability. Ultimately you leave the cinema fairly satisfied even as you begin to question things like; if they are the only ones left how did they re-populate? Oh well, it's only a film.
  94. Apr 8, 2014
    I was with a girl at the time, and I felt nothing but embarrassment watching this with her, as it was my choice for movie. Boy, I'll check out more than one crazy fundamentalist christian review next time. **** insane, that part I liked. But to many parts were just cringeworthy and cheesy.
  95. Apr 8, 2014
    Saw this movie on 4/2. While we were expecting somewhat of a fantasy movie we had no idea that it would be so preposterous. We're not fans of the Hobbit-type movies and this was really in that genera. None the less, I (male) found the acting to be atrocious. Compare this movie to Beautiful Mind in which both these actors starred. It is a masterful work. We expected a fictional movie, not a science fiction movie.

Save your money, rent it if you must see it. The CGI effects are worthy of a large screen but the remainder can be viewed on anything. As it droned on we found ourselves hoping that each scene was the last so we could go. When the credits ran, so did we.
  96. Apr 8, 2014
    "Noah" is possibly Darren Aronofsky's worst movie. That being said it's still an entertaining well made film in it's own right. I was a little disappointed, but only because I hold him in such high regard with such an amazing track record of movies (The Fountain alone is enough to mark him as a modern master in my opinion, not to even mention Black Swan, The Wrestler, and Requiem). I think his first foray into CGI may have demanded enough of his attention that the film suffered a little. It's not as succinct as his previous outings.

With that "disclaimer" out of the way, this ain't your momma's Noah. There's no Gandalfian white beard, no shepherd's hook, no fluffy white lambs being led two-by-two into a wooden ship. Instead we follow the ass-kicking Noah and his family, the last "good people" in the world, as they prepare for and weather (no pun intended) the destruction of mankind, who in the years since their creation, have fallen corrupt and one step from downright evil.

The movie is solid on all fronts. The acting is great, especially from Ray Winstone, who I could barely recognize, playing the anti-Noah Tubal-Cain ferociously to my delight. The cinematography is excellent, as we've come to expect from Aronofsky, and shines especially in Noah's visions and few time-lapse sequences about the creation of the universe and evolution of earth, and the Creator's (as he is referred to in the film) miraculous conjuration of a forest from which Noah is to build his ark. The dialogue and story is interesting for the most part, and while straying from the little detail given in the bible and the torah, works within it's own world.

My only real problems with the movie are that it is a little too long at some where around 2hrs 20min and it feels this way because the last third of the movie feels a little slow compared to it's dramatic first parts and largely focuses on Noah's internal struggle and clashing with his family over whether mankind is ordained to live on through them or simply die out.

Don't listen to the bad reviews on here, however and ignore the 0,1, and 2 point attack-reduced User Score. Even if it wan't a good movie, which it is, it would warrant a 4 or 5 based solely on it's quality production. But by reading them you can tell that largely they are from a bunch a religious types that wanted to watch the same story they've been told a thousands time come to life on the big screen. While this is the Noah story at it's core, from start to finish, there is plenty of interpretation and creativity applied as well, which for my money worked very well.

I give it a 6 or 7, although I was tempted to give it a 10 to counteract all the knee-jerk negativity flowing around this movie. Maybe you don't need to see it in theaters, but if you're curious and open, definitely check it out.
  97. Apr 8, 2014
    People were quick to judge the movie based on that fact it is biblical, but that should be put aside because it never mattered.
    Story: Seemed like a story that was meant for environmentalists. A lot of it emphasized the importance of maintaining the Earth the way it was when it was originally created.
    Acting: Emma Watson and Jennifer Connolly stole the show with their sorrowful
    performances. Russell Crowe and Logan Lerman gave an average performance, which was limited by the script.
    Direction: The Watchers were a bad idea, they never felt like they belonged in that world. Almost like a poor man's Lord of the Rings. Their clunky animations made it look like a stop motion animation. Very poor choice on Darren Aronfsky's part.
    Enjoyability - Regardless of whether the story of The Great Flood means anything to you. It wouldn't be a movie you'd pay for if you wanted to watch something enjoyable.
  98. Apr 8, 2014
    I usually can't be bothered to write reviews, but 'NOAH' was so bad I've even gone to the trouble of creating an account (yep, another password to forget) in order to share this. Oh grief, 'NOAH is rubbish. Russell Crowe did his usual half asleep lump of acting except when he was required to become a gladiator and kill someone, Anthony Hopkins (who has seemingly cornered the market in twinkly wisdom) twinkled and Ray Winstone looked menacing (as he always does, so no change there) About the only actor who was remotely convincing was Jennifer Connelly, emoting like a steam train on heat. Directing was lumpen and the special effects (such as they were) scored about 3/10 on the special effects scale while the script was devoid of both humanity and humour, everyone talking in constipated statements and trying to look serious. Why don't they hire people who know how to write?

OK, having got that off my chest, let's be constructive. As with most films, you have to either go big or go small. A tight, intense drama of family tension, madness, incest and infanticide inside a big boat, written by a proper writer and well acted, might work. Or something OTT with special effects and cataclysmic events coming along every ten minutes or so, I could see that working as well. But this film was neither. It lasted about five years, the first year of which was tedious, the next year a little better (Ray Winstone inventing - would you believe - a primitive gun), then a year of special effects (yep, when it started to rain) and finally 3 years of more tedium. At the very least, someone should have been sea-sick.

Russell Crowe might be a great actor (the point is moot) but he can't do mad, in the same way that Tilda Swinton (now there is someone who can act) can't do comedy. Sorry, I digress.

Well, that's it. Go and see it if you like, but frankly, save your money.

Zero points.
  99. Apr 7, 2014
    How could anyone possibly think the special effects were any good? The Watchers were almost funny in their ridiculousness - they definitely took you out of the movie every time they appeared on screen. Aronofsky bragged that none of the animals were real - NO JOKE. They were anything but. Watch 'The Life of Pi' for some incredible CGI animals (I still can't believe the Lion was not real). Muddles story, poor execution and sometimes painful to sit through. I could care less if this adheres to the biblical story - just do it well. Expand
  100. Apr 7, 2014
    They ignored every little bit pof personality the original bible lore had and turned into an action oriented bull **** This movie could of gone much better had they stuck with the spiritual interpretation of the original.

But then again what could you expect knowing this was directed by an Atheist, those who take anything about the bible LITTERALY, when it should actualy be
    interpreted. But at least he tried. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    Darren Aronofsky's Noah is not just one of the most ambitious films I've seen this year, it's one of the most ambitious films I've ever seen.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 9, 2014
    Noah may not make much sense, but only an artist could have made it. [7 April 2014, p.74]
  3. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Apr 2, 2014
    Aronofsky’s story of Noah and his ark is far-removed from our collective recollections of Sunday school pageants and Cecil B. DeMille extravaganzas. Instead, this film opts for the sort of human-scaled realism that almost allows us to smell the dank stench of a menagerie cooped up for 40 days and nights on a water-swept barge.