Nobody Knows

8.5

1. Sep 20, 2012
    I was quite disappointed with this movie, it was very slow, lacking in character arcs, plot or emotion. The abandonment and the 'fending for themselves' is interesting, but it's half shot like a documentary, half shot like a progressive drama. But there's very little to take from the film. The characters are pretty shallow, despite the great acting and close-up shots. A movie thisI was quite disappointed with this movie, it was very slow, lacking in character arcs, plot or emotion. The abandonment and the 'fending for themselves' is interesting, but it's half shot like a documentary, half shot like a progressive drama. But there's very little to take from the film. The characters are pretty shallow, despite the great acting and close-up shots. A movie this reminded me a lot of is King Of the Hill, a fantastically made movie about a boy left to fend for himself as his parents have to leave. There's adventure, a coming-of-age character arc, a plot with strong overtones. Very strongly written characters in addition to the good cast. Obviously they're not identical films, but I would recommend King Of The Hill tenfold over this. I'm a hugely into Asian cinema, but other than good camerawork, there's very little to this film. Expand
  2. JohensP.
    Mar 5, 2005
    Oppressive and inert. Film is in serious need of editing -- too long by 45 minutes. Well executed, yes, but is in love with itself.
  3. genec
    May 27, 2005
    While this movie had great potential, it was easily twice as long as it should have been. The emotional impact is lost as you just wait for something, anything, different to happen than what you've already been watching for the past half hour.
  4. Potechi
    Jan 20, 2007
    The movie was good but could've used some serious cutting. The film also lost it's realism near the end for me because of the children's unnatural, unwavering behaviour. It's pushing it already to think that the 3 siblings would act in this certain manner but adding a juniorhigh/highschool outsider to the bunch makes it the more unbelievable.

Yuya Yagira, winner of the best actor award at Cannes this year, is superb as the protective eldest child; he and his other nonprofessional costars are quietly heartbreaking.
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Kore-eda sketches the inner, spiritual and emotional lives of the children with subtlety and sensitivity, delivering the goods after a seemingly directionless first half.
    I certainly came out of Nobody Knows feeling numb; only later, reflecting on the fact that the movie was inspired by a true story, did it occur to me that the numbness could have been deliberate, and that what suffused this picture was a mist of anger.