4.4

1. Rick
    Mar 29, 2007
    Was this movie really this horrible, 27. This entire website discredits every comedy, from Blades of Glory to the Waterboy with Adam Sandler. Now, keep in mind that these are comedies and are not representative of reality, because if so, they would have been classified as documentaries. The reason I am giving this movie a ten is to raise this movie's rating up to somewhere it should Was this movie really this horrible, 27. This entire website discredits every comedy, from Blades of Glory to the Waterboy with Adam Sandler. Now, keep in mind that these are comedies and are not representative of reality, because if so, they would have been classified as documentaries. The reason I am giving this movie a ten is to raise this movie's rating up to somewhere it should be. There is many different types of jokes, though some of us like kid like comedies like "Finding Little Nemo", some of us do enjoy getting away from reality for a little while, and exercising our right to criticize all kinds of people in society. Expand
  2. LOL
    Jun 21, 2007
    haha haters. are you guys giving this movie low scores because you look like Rasputia and it hit a little close to home? don't get butthurt - it isn't the funniest movie around, but it surely doesn't deserve this low a score
  3. Oct 4, 2010
    This review contains spoilers. i really hate this!!! is pure garbage!!! but i really like Rasputia perfomance...haha!!! this movie is really discriminative...but sometimes funny...complicated Collapse
  4. Feb 11, 2011
    Very, very funny. I think that some people just have bad taste giving negative reviews but hey, I enjoyed it. I found it very funny and it does have some soft moments that feel just right. I would really check it out, I liked it and I think you will too.
  5. BrianT.
    Feb 11, 2007
    The Movie was funny. Every turn there was something funny and it kept you interested. Muphy two characters of Rasputia and Mr Wong were the funniest. Black Stereotypes Asian Stereotypes whit Stereotypes were all in the movie.
  6. Sep 20, 2010
    this movie is hilarious. watch it! the characters are very funny, especially resputia (lol). Who cares about stereotypes? hollywood is all stereotypes. critics are stupid, see the movie for yourself!
  7. Nov 15, 2011
    where is number 2? I love this movie and it is 100% funny. I would love a number 2. You people who rated bad dont know a good movie even if it hit you in the face. Please make norbit 2!!!!!!!1
  8. BlueF.
    Jun 14, 2007
    I think most of the low reviews are due to this movie not being politically correct. It's a funny and entertaining movie. And I'm a bit of a movie snob too - a little over critical usually. It's refreshing to have a movie that's not hyper sensitive to everyone who could be possibly be offended by the tiniest things.
  9. AndrewE.
    Jun 13, 2007
    Even if a lot of people basically think this movie is Eddie Murphy at it's worst. I personally think this movie is really well done. The jokes were sometimes funny, and most importantly. Eddie did very well of being three actors, especially Mr Wong. He looked so different from Eddie, I never thought it was him. I give it a 7.
  10. SteveA.
    Feb 18, 2007
    This movie was exactly what I thought it would be. It was mostly funny, sluggish in the middle, and overdone at the end. I found Eddie Murphy's asian character hilarious. I also loved the wife's character, although there were a few missed opportunities with her. The only thing that bothered me was the scene when the little, overweight girl was riding the pony, and Norbit says, This movie was exactly what I thought it would be. It was mostly funny, sluggish in the middle, and overdone at the end. I found Eddie Murphy's asian character hilarious. I also loved the wife's character, although there were a few missed opportunities with her. The only thing that bothered me was the scene when the little, overweight girl was riding the pony, and Norbit says, "I know how you feel, pony." And then the camera shows the pony crying. I just found that to be very cruel towards overweight people. In fact, the whole movie was cruel to overweight people. I just felt they should have toned it down some, or balanced it out by adding another overweight but positive character. Expand
  11. CarthatheM.
    Feb 13, 2007
    This movie was hilarious but at some points boring. It would flash to the fat girl, and then to the loser guy. The fat women was hilarious but everything else brought the movie down.
  12. MarkB.
    Apr 11, 2007
    This cheerfully overinflated, cheekily offensive comedy will retain a permanent footnote in movie history as The Movie That Cost Eddie Murphy An Oscar (for his spectacular supporting turn in Dreamgirls). It shouldn't have. Say what you will about the movie itself, but you can't deny Murphy's astounding comedic skill in his multiple roles as the nerdy title character, the This cheerfully overinflated, cheekily offensive comedy will retain a permanent footnote in movie history as The Movie That Cost Eddie Murphy An Oscar (for his spectacular supporting turn in Dreamgirls). It shouldn't have. Say what you will about the movie itself, but you can't deny Murphy's astounding comedic skill in his multiple roles as the nerdy title character, the grotesquely huge woman he marries, and an elderly Asian man who runs the orphanage/ restaurant that Norbit spends his formative years in. (It's even more of a compliment to Murphy's prowess that it took me a solid ten minutes to realize that he was playing this role, too.) Of course, Murphy is aided immeasurably by the phenomenal makeup work of Rick Baker, who performed the same services for Murphy when he played the Klump family in the Nutty Professor pictures...and on a less flashy but equally enjoyable technical level, Clay Griffith's and Richard Greenfield's slightly romanticized small-town sets are a joy to look at. There are several good one-liners; the scene in which gargantuan Rasputia boards a water slide is an effective comic set piece, and the running gag involving her and a car horn killed me. Quite frankly, if you were bothered by the preview, then nothing short of a gun to your head or the kidnapping of your children should've gotten you into the theater, so you really have nothing to complain about. This doesn't mean, however, that Norbit DOESN'T have some substantial problems on a very basic thematic and storytelling level. The Nutty Professor's Sherman Klump, who was almost as exaggeratedly proportioned as Rasputia, was also an extremely kind and decent soul who was thoroughly deserving of a rewarding romantic relationship, and it's clear very early on that Norbit ISN'T going to take that route. (Sherman's closest female counterpart was Gwyneth Paltrow's sweet Rosemary in the Farrelly brothers' best film to date, the endearing Shallow Hal.) In order to sell Norbit's emotional affair with childhood friend Kate (Thandie Newton) the moviemakers have to give Rasputia a thoroughly repellent personality, and they do: she's repulsively bossy, dictatorial, hypocritical and unfaithful to her husband. That's not the problem, but the casting of the other woman is; I can't knock Newton's performance because she's perfectly charming in this role (and does a lot to counteract her unplayable shrew in The Pursuit of Happyness), but consciously or not, Norbit's makers hired an actress who's far skinnier than the norm, and in doing so propounded the thinking that fat women--who, along with blondes, are the last feasible targets of derisive jokes in these politically correct times--are unworthy of being loved. Hiring an actress with curves, such as Queen Latifah, Oprah Winfrey or even Murphy's Dreamgirls costar Jennifer Hudson as the romantic interest would have done a lot to erase this caveat, but the moviemakers' failure to do so indicates that Norbit's central flaw isn't its silliness or its grossness but its inability to think outside the box. Moviegoers who are legitimately bothered by this can at least take comfort in knowing that TV's Ugly Betty (both the character and the actress, America Ferrera) has rapidly become not only a national heroine but a role model...and can count down the time before the show's first-season DVD set comes out. Expand
  13. NickM.
    Jun 19, 2007
    A comedy with stupid fun humor. It was a slapstick comedy, but it gets you to laugh a lot! I'm surprised at that I went to see it, because I'm a big movie critic sort of guy, but I don't regret it.
  14. Feb 22, 2011
    No a bad movie. It's a very silly movie and for the most part good. There were some slow/boring parts in the movie but over all a good movie. If you need a good laugh, this will gave you one. You won't be crying from laughter but you will walk away with a nice smile.
  15. Brendan
    Apr 16, 2007
    The film is fairly funny with some good lines and a notable performance by Eddie Murphy but for the most part it was more dumb-witted than it should have been. Some jokes were kind of sketchy and other hardly made sense. By the end it was like the writers ran out of ideas and expected the audience to continue laughing about Eddie Murphy in a obese female suit an hour in. All in all The film is fairly funny with some good lines and a notable performance by Eddie Murphy but for the most part it was more dumb-witted than it should have been. Some jokes were kind of sketchy and other hardly made sense. By the end it was like the writers ran out of ideas and expected the audience to continue laughing about Eddie Murphy in a obese female suit an hour in. All in all it's good for a laugh but not for the kids or a first choice movie pick. Expand
  16. Oct 6, 2010
    Not the greatest Comedy out there, but I did laugh. It doesnt deserve all the hate it's getting. And I am not a fan of the fact it was trying to be serious, but that didnt ruin it for me.
  17. Dec 12, 2011
    Was an ok comedy. It was funny at times but too similar to Eddie Murphy's other films and it didnt do enough to seperate itself. Worth the watch imo but thats about it.
  18. JulzK.
    Apr 25, 2007
    Boring and crap. They tried to make it too serious. Shoud have just been dumb fun.
  19. OshaB.
    Mar 1, 2007
    The way Eddie Murphy spoke of this movie, I thought it would be hilarious, but quite the contrary. It was a waste of nine dollars and very disappointing. Bad humor, predictable plot, and unneccessary bad language.It has too much adult content to take the young kids and not enough humor for any one older than 17 to enjoy. There were a few moments where you may have thought about laughing, The way Eddie Murphy spoke of this movie, I thought it would be hilarious, but quite the contrary. It was a waste of nine dollars and very disappointing. Bad humor, predictable plot, and unneccessary bad language.It has too much adult content to take the young kids and not enough humor for any one older than 17 to enjoy. There were a few moments where you may have thought about laughing, but that feeling soon went away.I know Eddie Murphy can do better than that. Expand
  20. Aug 5, 2013
    Norbit es la clase de pelicula fastidiosa que intenta llegar lejos de una forma mediocre,pero logra un poco dentro del fracaso pues logra tener algo de humor despues de un tiempo
  21. ClaytonH
    Aug 8, 2007
    Pure garbage. Vile and offensive.
  22. Deanna
    Feb 25, 2007
    I was disappointed. I was hoping for a few laughs, but this movie was obiously created for 8-year-olds.
  23. Feb 28, 2012
    I feel like if this movie had come out about the time The Nutty Professor came out it would have done better. The makeup they did for the the various Eddie Murphy characters was good and very realistic. That was the only positive in the movie though. I had a hard time identifying with any of the characters and in all honesty found Norbit annoying. The only more annoying character wasI feel like if this movie had come out about the time The Nutty Professor came out it would have done better. The makeup they did for the the various Eddie Murphy characters was good and very realistic. That was the only positive in the movie though. I had a hard time identifying with any of the characters and in all honesty found Norbit annoying. The only more annoying character was Rasputia. It makes me sad the Cuba Gooding Jr. was in this and it makes me really sad that Eddie Murphy feels like he has to go back to his old ways to re-make his career instead of moving forward as an actor. Expand
  24. Nov 12, 2012
    Another stupid comedy that tries WAY too hard to entertain you, and fails miserably.
  25. Jan 11, 2011
    was unacceptable really 1 is too much i should give it 0 was dreadful was worse than date movie '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
  26. Jan 4, 2015
    1/5★ Eddie Murphy is a funny, talented guy who can play several distinct characters in one film. Norbit is a disgusting, how was this made, why am I laughing film that is a mean and crass misfire that makes Big Momma look like Shakespeare. I have no doubt the cast in this film: respected actors like Thandie Newton and Cuba Gooding, Jr. wish that Norbit fade away, never to be spoken of1/5★ Eddie Murphy is a funny, talented guy who can play several distinct characters in one film. Norbit is a disgusting, how was this made, why am I laughing film that is a mean and crass misfire that makes Big Momma look like Shakespeare. I have no doubt the cast in this film: respected actors like Thandie Newton and Cuba Gooding, Jr. wish that Norbit fade away, never to be spoken of again.
    Verdict: Skip
  27. JonQ.
    Jun 5, 2007
    Eddie Murphy should be ashamed for producing this appalling piece of racist, sexist and horrendous rubbish which is claimed to be a comedy. It brings shame to the genre and cinema itself. We have a brilliant actor, a influential black one as well, showing his stupid side and making a poor film after creating such brilliant films such as the Nutty Professor. The reviews are harsh, I saw Eddie Murphy should be ashamed for producing this appalling piece of racist, sexist and horrendous rubbish which is claimed to be a comedy. It brings shame to the genre and cinema itself. We have a brilliant actor, a influential black one as well, showing his stupid side and making a poor film after creating such brilliant films such as the Nutty Professor. The reviews are harsh, I saw the film to see how awful it was - no redemption, perhaps the credits are good because you know this nonsense is over. Shame on Mr Murphy and don't bother even mentioning this name. Murphy is a great disappointment and he is better than all the other crappy comedy actors like Sandler, Ferrel and other low lives. He is brilliant but this is something he would want to forgot. Just avoid this film and watch something which is actually funny and show him how it is done - him being black is not the issue but the fact that he is a role model means that he has let people down and moved back years in terms of what people laugh at. crude and hard to watch - i feel sick and ill. Murphy is one of my favourite actors, he has let me down. Captain Meow over. Expand
  28. DarnellP.
    Feb 24, 2007
    I love Mr. Murphy but this was the most god awful piece of crap Ii've ever seen. The only thing that can explain Murphy agreeing to do something this bad is as a favor to his brother Charles. The always hilarious Katt Williams is wasted in this film and every "joke" fell flat on it's face.
  29. BobG.
    Feb 24, 2007
    It's incomprehensible why Eddie Murphey would subject himslef to this absolute garbage. He doesn't deserve this. Eddie is a fine actor, but wasting his talent in a formidable fat-suit cannot elevate a career.
  30. MandyB
    Mar 10, 2007
    It is the most awful offensive disturbing film i have ever seen. Racist, offensive to overweight people and what seems to be most unnoticed is that its a film which claims abuse is funny!!!!!!!! Something which is most definately is not. Watching some guy get beaten up by his wife--i have a sense of humour--and that is not funny, thats disturbing.
  31. EmoKid
    Mar 5, 2007
    When will Eddie Murphy stop? Well I can't wait to see the next movie...EXTRAS....Pshhh who needs them we have Eddie Murphy. Not worth the time or money to go see.
  32. SeanP.
    Mar 8, 2007
    Whoa, SF Chronicle, c'mon.... Even MENTIONING the Oscars in a review of this horrendous film is like sacrilege. Don't waste your money, even for a rental later on.
  33. EricC.
    Mar 23, 2007
    I know it's not fair to judge a genre on one movie, but wow. Black cinema, you better roll out something good to cover the wound this movie has done to your image. Don't worry, white people are having the same trouble. We just had WIld Hogs. And Ghost Rider. And Premonition. And TMNT. You know what, maybe Spanish cinema can fix this for us.
  34. JonW.
    May 11, 2007
    A movie with Eddie Murphy in a fat suit--yeah, there's something we haven't seen enough of.
  35. Jan 11, 2011
    this might be one of the most, if not the most unfunny movies I've ever seen. Waste of time, space, and talent.where's the old Eddie Murphy, the funny one. I think he died with Pluto Nash
  36. May 4, 2014
    Eddie Murphy supposedly insulted a lot of people with this film: foreigners, racial stereotypes, obese women, nerds, hopeless romantics, animals, intelligent people, and moviegoers. But the one person whose feelings he hurt more than anyone else was his own.
  37. Jun 8, 2014
    Awful movie, all the praise for this movie must be from the marketing department! This review must be 150 characters, but there are no words for how bad this film is. AWFUL.

The fun in Norbit is watching Murphy at work – the guy has a knack for bringing the physicality of his comic characters to life.
  2. Murphy speaks in a breathy lisp, as if his mouth had been partially buttoned shut, and he doesn't give himself the nerd's traditional redeeming feature of a geeky, slide-rule intellect. Norbit, all frozen gawk, is just a very dim bulb.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Nelson
    It's an astonishingly crass and vulgar film, crudely directed on a cut-rate budget by Brian Robbins, never more than almost funny or less than disturbing.