North Country

7.4

1. KatyL
    Nov 8, 2005
    This movie was entertaining enough to sit through, but I was pretty disappointed. The performances were good, as was the cinematography, which so clearly evoked the link between geography, chronology, and psychology. My gripe is with the character development. All of the characters seemed to be stereotypes rather than people. Everyone was clearly a goodie or a baddie, and no attempt was This movie was entertaining enough to sit through, but I was pretty disappointed. The performances were good, as was the cinematography, which so clearly evoked the link between geography, chronology, and psychology. My gripe is with the character development. All of the characters seemed to be stereotypes rather than people. Everyone was clearly a goodie or a baddie, and no attempt was made to understand or explore the flaws of the goodies or the motives and fears of the baddies. The story and the message are wonderful and powerful and important, but often, I felt more like I was watching a Lifetime movie than an intelligent social commentary or feminist anthem. Expand
  2. PatC.
    Oct 25, 2006
    As is sometimes the case in these types of stories, the focus on the profane attitudes of the mine workers creates a permanent cloud of resignation even after their victims are vindicated. I thought the movie dragged on a bit, but I appreciated its refusal to go completely feminist.
  3. DavidG.
    Feb 25, 2006
    Lots of dead footage, even when it looks good. You could have cut 30 minutes out of this melodrama and not missed a thing.

1. The issue of sexual politics so dominates the story that it's a relief when an emotional showdown involves family rather than workplace issues. Not so surprisingly, these are the movie's best scenes.
  2. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    An emotionally potent story told with great dignity.
    Charlize Theron, in nonglam mode, dominates this powerful drama about sexual harassment at a Minnesota iron ore mine in the early 90s.