8.0

1. Nov 11, 2013
    The film is exhausting, not the bad side of the word, he is strong and causes the viewer to anxiety and despair, and in the end, you feel. Wei is a heroine of the real world.
  2. TYL
    Dec 2, 2008
    Innocent, charming, real and moving. I've traveled the east and this movie reminds me of some of the harsh realities of rural areas and the small yet significant miracles of humanity.
  3. R.C,
    Nov 2, 2007
    After living in China for 1 1/2 years I related to the interesting dynamics of the people in the movie. It was not unlike real life experienced by those that live in the country. Very Chinese.
  4. PenelopeV.
    Oct 7, 2005
    Simple story but with a great message. A teacher has to look beyond the eyes of her students, love and understand her students. Her job goes beyond teaching. Her jobs means reaching out to her learners with her mind and heart. I love the movie!
  5. DonnaHillR.
    Jul 4, 2004
    It's great. it depicts harsh and beautiful realities that exists even up to date. a moving film.
  6. RobertH.
    Jan 2, 2002
    It's simple and heartwarming... my fave movie of all time!!

1. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    This is much more than a typically one-dimensional message-movie -- it's obviously the work of a master filmmaker .
  2. At first, the picture is moving. . And suddenly charm turns to quasi-commie didacticism.
    If it touches up against the syrupy at a very few moments, it's nevertheless consistently clear-eyed and convincing.