Notting Hill

8.1

1. Apr 9, 2016
    This is one of those movies you either like or don't, and I hereby acknowledge there are those who don't. The songs are cringe-inducing, it would be better if it were 10 minutes shorter, and there are sappy moments, but this is a formidable feelgood picture of its time (along w/ Shakespeare In Love). A few real critics have pointed out that it's a rare for romantic comedy to be aboutThis is one of those movies you either like or don't, and I hereby acknowledge there are those who don't. The songs are cringe-inducing, it would be better if it were 10 minutes shorter, and there are sappy moments, but this is a formidable feelgood picture of its time (along w/ Shakespeare In Love). A few real critics have pointed out that it's a rare for romantic comedy to be about something besides the romance. It has things to say about celebrity, and the casting plays off that quite well. It's mostly well written and funny. Supporting kudos to the guy who plays the roommate (Rhys Ifans). Attention was paid to details. The result is not perfect but not sloppy either. Expand
  2. Nov 29, 2015
    Boy meets girl; boy loses girl, boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy wins girl back. Okay, you get the idea. But Julia and Hugh in this movie have that magic that doesn't happen very often. Let's see, Julia and Richard Gere in Pretty Woman. Great pairing so they made Runaway Bride. Nope. So Hugh is a travel book shop owner and Julia is a big time movie star. What do they have inBoy meets girl; boy loses girl, boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy wins girl back. Okay, you get the idea. But Julia and Hugh in this movie have that magic that doesn't happen very often. Let's see, Julia and Richard Gere in Pretty Woman. Great pairing so they made Runaway Bride. Nope. So Hugh is a travel book shop owner and Julia is a big time movie star. What do they have in common? Maybe movies like this result in a 50% divorce rate. Enough of that! It's a great, maybe the best, romantic comedy, The sound track of love songs really add to the movie so see it with a home theater sound system. Yes, when I went to London I did go to Notting Hill to see the locations for the movie. I don't have that many DVDs but this one is in my collection. Expand
  3. Dec 24, 2014
    When one of the World's most famous movie stars (played by Julia Roberts) wonders into his book store Will's (Hugh Grant) life is about to change forever.

Hugh Grant has made some pretty terrible movies of late but, while this isn't up in the same league as Four Wedding's and a Funeral, it does prove that he once made some fairly enjoyable feel good romantic comedies. Funny in places and emotional in others suspend your belief for a couple of hours, sit back and enjoy a bit of light hearted entertainment.
  4. Oct 19, 2014
    One of the rare genuine non-cliched romantic films. A movie so sweet and tender, it makes you feel like a wide-eyed child, watching the Looney Tunes for the first time in his life.
  5. Capo
    Oct 17, 2009
    This film could be the best classics of all time.
  6. EllisA.
    Jan 28, 2009
    This movie is suck a feel good movie. You can watch it at all times, it cheers up every moment! It's lovely!
  7. susanl.
    Mar 1, 2008
    Romance, celebrity and laughs.
  8. ricof.
    May 13, 2005
    Perfect couple... perfect story...absolutely funny.... and most of all u will cry if you seen this movie.... absolutely deligthful.
  9. christiang.
    Apr 29, 2005
    As far as romantic comedies go, this is the real deal. Julia Roberts is tremendously charming, and she makes a perfect match with Grant.
  10. PaulC.
    Mar 25, 2005
    Wonderful premise and superbly executed. One of the best romantic comidies ever.
  11. farahd
    Mar 10, 2005
    I have watched it again and over again, and still, every sentence and every single movement add to the idea that cinema could so close and real.
  12. Ben
    Oct 4, 2004
    This is my favourite movie, because it breaks the cliché?s from all the other hopeless romantic movies. Immensely recommended!
  13. PamR.
    Apr 27, 2004
    I loved this movie. It's sweet, romantic, and funny!
  14. KathyC.
    Apr 11, 2004
    Julia Roberts shines in this romantic comedy!
  15. VickiB.
    Oct 24, 2003
    A really funny film, Grant is really good as Will but the show stealer has to be Spike as the welsh roomate, he is hilarious! And those t-shirts!
  16. Tie
    Nov 5, 2002
    Romance, comedy, drama, ... this movie has it all! Roberts and Grant... perfect match!
  17. EmilyB.
    Sep 16, 2002
    It mixes reality with surrealism perfectly to make a believable, and brilliant plot.
  18. BrianM.
    Jul 18, 2002
    An awesome movie!!! Buy it... rent it... just see it.
  19. MiloslavS.
    Apr 15, 2002
    Pretty good.
  20. SedatT.
    Feb 14, 2002
    It's great. I love u julia roberts...
  21. KimR.
    Jan 6, 2002
    Absolutely fantastic movie, have only seen it a couple of times but it got to my heart from the very moment I first saw it, and it's really, really good.
  22. CristinaS.
    Nov 29, 2001
    Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant show what it takes to make a great romantic comedy, proving that love can come from unexpected circumstances.
  23. KentM.
    Nov 2, 2001
    Great movie, awesome cast and I've probably seen it at least a dozen times. My only regret was not catching it in the theatres when it was playing.
  24. Nicole
    Jul 30, 2001
    This one is an original. There is no movie like it. Excellent story.
  25. ConradR.
    Jul 9, 2001
    Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant at their best.
  26. JosieP.
    Apr 3, 2001
    I've probably seen this thing like 15 times, and it never seems to get old. Great music, especially the Elvis Costello.

1. A smartly cast and consistently amusing romantic comedy.
  2. The overall result is a romantic comedy that indulges fantasies, calms insecurities (can an ordinary bloke stack up?), and breaks and mends hearts with surgical precision.
  3. The deft, hilarious Notting Hill finds Grant's dour-droll-deprecating affliction at its most dead-on.