6.9

1. Jun 14, 2013
    This was one of my worst movie experiences in the past ten years: terribly derivative, intellectually insulting, and a complete waste of time. The sequence of events are too convenient for a heist movie, so the magic element had to be thrown in. However, the magic show scenes are too boring, and the interplay between the characters is too dull to be a magic movie...so some heist element had to be thrown in. This was my general take it is neither one nor the other, nor good enough to be either.

The bright spots in the movie are Dave Franco and Mélanie Laurent (Shosanna from Inglourious Basterds), the only two actors given real characters and a chance to turn in decent performances. Everyone else plays a smug version of themselves.

Any specific complaint about the movie would include spoilers, so here are some surface-level observations:
    Acting mediocre, with hints of terrible by Mark Ruffalo.
    Plot much more convenient than clever, with "magic" used to explain away impossible plot points.
    Dialog snarky and witty (excluding Ruffalo's character), but so much so that there are no real characters, just one-liner automatons.
    Plot twists there are no real plot twists...if you think "what is the most ridiculous thing that can happen in this situation," that is exactly what will happen.
    The ending I almost threw up in my empty pop-corn box. Saccharine doesn't come close to describing it.
    Overall philosophy Magic exists? Insurance companies are evil? Revenge is sweet? Love pops up in the strangest places?
  2. May 31, 2013
    this the worst movies I have seen so far this year, you would think with a cast like this. it would be good, but it wasn't. this was two hour of my life that I will never get back The entire cast should find new agents. They are all talented enough not to waste their time on stuff like this A bank getting robbed in this movie, I got robbed. The thing you don't see coming sitting through and getting nothing in return. I would rather sit through a boring Las Vegas magic show. No you me telling every disappear yourselves from this one. If it on for the bad movies like this, you could not appreciate the good one. Expand
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    "Now You See Me" was itself a type of magic trick. Louis Leterrier uses a great cast with the premise of magic and bank robbery to draw us in. Unfortunately it doesn't take long to realize that instead of character development we get Morgan Freeman explaining the plot after the fact. At no point did I find myself wondering "how is this going to turn out?" The magic has little excitement because we know that using CGI, anything is possible. Add that to the fact that the "big reveal" is exactly what you would expect and you end up with the feeling that the trick was on you. Expand
  4. Aug 25, 2013
    This is possibly the worst film i've ever seen, and i'm not saying that lightly. I cannot understand these positive reviews other than they're mentally deficient or paid to do so.

Basically the plot is a poorly executed mess. The film itself lies to the audience, so when the lame twists happen they just feel like the writers trying to get back on course. It's like a script that's not
    gone through so much as one revised draft.

The only way to explain the cast, budget, etc. is that the film simply fell apart in production. Perhaps the emphasis was put on all the wrong aspects.

If you like this... I can't respect you. It's wholly broken. I'd sooner watch Human Centipede, Battleship or a rom com.
  5. Aug 25, 2013
    Terrible Movie however it's weirdly entertaining.
    What was the whole point in the movie? (spoiler alert)
    Mark Ruffalo spent 30 years working his way up in the FBI to exact revenge on some people who were in no way responsible for the death of his father. Is it just me that thinks it stupid that mark ruffalo wants to put Morgan Freeman in prison for simple telling people how his dad did a
    magic trick, how all of Micheal Cains money is stolen because he didn't pay out on an insurance claim and how they stole half a billion dollars because the company made a safe below standard?
    And as for the ending……
    So mark ruffalo was part of 'the eye' and the four horsemen for no apparent reason put themselves into the public eye as wanted criminals to become part of a secret society. The four horseman have given up their whole lives to help Mark Ruffalo for no reason at all apart from being initiated into a secret society, again which they will gain nothing from.
    So in conclusion: incredibly far-fetched and far to complicated for no reason, there was no character development and in my opinion one of the worst and most pointless movies i have seen in years….
  6. Oct 13, 2013
    Intellectually insulting, The story felt like it was written as they were shooting the movie! as did the twists and turns. I couldn't believe people are rating this movie so high!
  7. Jun 9, 2013
    This movie relies on every cliche used in movies and bad writing. Can Isla Fisher actually act? The only movie she was remotely good in was The Wedding Crashers. Woody Harrelson's acting is always great and consistent as is Mark Ruffalo's but in this case, the writing was so awful nothing could help it. Yuck blech. At first I thought the movie was a metaphor for the awful Obama administration, but then it digressed into another "hate the rich guy and the little guy gets screwed" movie and needs to have his revenge. Not much of a surprise. Bring a pillow if you want to snooze.

Based on reviews of critics here, I wish I had given the Great Gatsby a TEN in retrospect.
  8. Jul 21, 2013
    Visually appealing movie that is brought down by the very stupid and unbelievable twists that really stretch the suspension of disbelief. Heavy reliance on CGI when trying to show "magic" which breaks the illusion that the Four Horsemen are only illusionists. Add to that a pretty pointless and shoehorned romance subplot and you get Now You See Me.
  9. Jul 4, 2013
    I guess where this film fails the most is that despite it being a film about magic, I didn't really feel any sense of wonder or disbelief. Nothing about this film was captivating which is a real shame because the premise is a very cool one. It's just a case of really mediocre execution. To the film's credit there were some really quite nice camera sequences and the twist at the end, whilst not entirely unpredictable considering the nature of the film was a very good one but the film as a whole felt so empty and unsatisfying. The characters are probably the worst part of the film. The main 4 characters were some of the blandest main characters I've seen in a long time and I felt like I couldn't connect with them at all. They felt so stock, the kind of characters a 13 year old would try to come up with. The film also tries to be clever in the way it executes a number of things but it just falls short completely. Personally the worst thing a film can be for me is boring and unsatisfying which is what this film was for me. There's a few positive factors but overall the film just felt like a waste of time and money. Expand
  10. Jul 4, 2013
    There is actually the seed of a good idea here, but the confused execution lets it down. An interesting cast helps and the film is lively enough, but it is all smoke and mirrors. Red herrings abound and there is a surprise revelation at the end, but the improbable premise cannot withstand any serious analysis. An Insistent, almost 70'ish, music score and swirling camera movements try to elevate proceedings to a higher and slicker plane that the material just doesn't deserve. Morgan Freeman redeems himself after his nothing turn in oblivion and some of the editing helps things along. Expand
  11. Jul 3, 2013
    This is one of the worst movies i've ever seen! I'm not going to add anything. Watch it if you want, but i don't recommend it. My score is 2/10 ,without no doubt
  12. Jun 15, 2013
    WAY too hard to follow
    very confusing and unbeleivable
    it could have been made much better if it was less technicale and understandable

now i did go with a girl and was paying attetntion to her also but neither of us understood it and our too friends that went

i would not recomend this movie
  13. Jul 23, 2013
    This movie is not good. The preview is twice the production the movie is. There is no character building, and you are instantly thrust into this story that does not pan out. Do not waste your time.
  14. Aug 21, 2013
    "All flash and no trousers" A weird saying, but who's Father isn't full of oddness? Mine certainly was and he used this expression regularly when something was, basically, bollocks. Now You See Me falls in to this category. Cool cast, flashy effects, great locations, mixed with a predictable story line, average script and some truly wooden performances Dave Franco, I'm looking at you.

It's mindless entertainment for the masses. Avoid paying cinema ticket price, perhaps watch for free when it hits your PTV provider; provided you are fully up to date with your TV series viewing....
  15. Sep 15, 2013
    Horrid. Its ccomes across as an arrogant movie which one is supposed to suspend all belief in order to enjoy it. May be find for cult members but the general public dont buy it.
  16. Oct 12, 2013
    Now You See Me may have an interesting concept and enjoyable at times but it is a huge mess. The film comes off as overproduced; being filled with CGI (and bad CGI of course) and unrealistic scenes that viewers (who aren't already enamoured by the fact that the film is indeed performing a trick on the audience) won't believe at all. The first act comes off as egotistical and the third and final act of the film comes off as frustratingly bad; the unnecessary "twist" ending comes off as...well, unnecessary and incredibly stupid. Like previously stated, the film's second act is the better of the acts since it is somewhat enjoyable to watch. The film is also very confused since it just cannot decide if it wants to be a comedy, an action film or a straight up crime thriller, and also it's characters are confused as well since it keeps changing the depictions of the characters themselves (for example; one moment "The Four Horseman" are anti-heroes, the other moment they are straight-up villains). Speaking of characters, "The Four Horseman" were unlikable and the law-enforcement characters were both dumb and annoying. The only good characters in the film were Morgan Freeman's and Michael Caine's character who also happen to be the best actors in the film as well, the worst actor being Mark Ruffalo, who's acting was absolutely atrocious. In the end, Now You See Me may be entertaining at times but at the end, it just plays a trick on the audience; it may look like a good film but if you look closer, it truly isn't very good. Expand
  17. Sep 8, 2013
    Now You See Me might have the most misleading trailers of all-time. The previews make you think that story follow the four magicians, played by Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, and Dave Franco. However, the characters with the most screen time are actually an FBI agent played by Mark Ruffalo, an interpol agent played by Melanie Laurent, and a washed up magician played by Morgan Freeman. Guess what? I didn't know any of those actors were even in the movie. The movie also didn't seem to have an identity. It constantly jumped back and forth between magic not being real and then certain things not being possible without magic. This constant uncertainty from the film's perspective created a lazy feeling in the script. As for the individual characters, Woody was hilarious, Isla was absolutely gorgeous, and Eisenberg was, well, the same character he always is. Which reminds me, can we stop calling Jesse Eisenberg a great actor? The kid plays the exact same role every single time and that's who he is in real life. He isn't "acting", he's just playing himself in different situations. Back to the movie, it had decent plot development but with so many characters involved, none of them were really fleshed out properly. Lastly, it had the typical twist in the end that's become almost cliched where it wasn't written into the story well but just forced on the viewer. All-in-all, if you want to be mildly entertained with over-the-top magic tricks and a chaotic story and then toss in a romance for no reason, this is the movie for you. Expand
  18. Aug 25, 2013
    A movie that starts promising and quickly fizzles into nothing. The real magicians are the people behind the film, which did a very good job at distracting you from shallow characters, a movie that had zero plot and making you think you saw something great.
  19. Mar 13, 2014
    Although certainly entertaining and with a great cast Now You See Me has a multitude of problems. One of the most notable is how generally dislikable many of the characters are (especially Ruffalo's character). Also the action sequences seem a bit ridiculous considering that it's magicians that are being chased. Not to mention that the twist is idiotic and not all that surprising and it leads to an even less satisfying ending. That said the magic and heist scenes are well done and fun to watch. Expand
  20. Nov 2, 2013
    One of the worst movies I have seen this year, two hours of my life that I will never get back. The entire cast just did this film for a paycheck. The real magic trick was taking my money.
  21. Oct 11, 2013
    This was an absolute awful movie, I know what they tried to do but my god could any movie fall any shorter from the mark, the CGI was garbage, the "Magic tricks" was just a bunch of mombo jumbo. I wish i never rented it...
  22. Oct 31, 2013
    You will not get the time you spend watching this movie back. I just feel bad that Morgan Freeman spent even more of it to make this slick looking, but stupid, stupid movie.
  23. Jun 5, 2013
    Here's the deal, mind-bending movies like Inception and The Prestige have revealed an entirely new genre of film. Movies like "Now You See Me" attempt to reflect elements of that genre, and ultimately find themselves in a realm closer to "summer throwaway". The script is what really throws a wrench in the final cut of this film. Even high caliber actors such as Morgan Freeman and Michael Cain can't save this script from the sloppy mess that the writers left it in. Now, having said that, if you've seen Fast 6 and Star Trek, and you're still forcing yourself to go to the cinema, by all means spare your mind the stress of figuring out a plot and see this movie. Otherwise #skipit. Expand
  24. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Now You See Me" has one of the best movie concepts that I've seen in a while. Adding the idea of magicians and a heist is genius. However, the movie in itself was a mixed bag. The acting was weak in the movie, and Thaddeus was able to debunk the magic tricks way too quick. We get no debunking scenes where Thaddeus is breaking down the puzzle. Instead, he just walks up on stage and tells the FBI agent about every single step and operation. The magic performances were really interesting, we get to learn how the 4 horsemen "teleported" a man from Vegas to Paris in under 3 seconds. Definitely something that I was looking forward to. There were some good laughs in the movie placed here and there. But the part of the movie that made me so upset was the ending. Unlike most people, I disliked the plot twist. It was too unexpected. Not in the good way. We had no indication that the FBI agent was in "The Eye" and that he would turn on Thaddeus. In the end, it's not an awful movie, and it's very controversial. I say that you should give it a chance. Don't take my word for it. Everyone sees things differently. Expand
  25. Sep 26, 2013
    It frankly doesn't surprise me that this film has received more positive than negative feedback; it gives an audience almost everything the trailers and cast lead them to believe they'll get. Plenty of twists, turns, face time with noteworthy actors and a story that doesn't force you to believe in magic in order to believe what's happening on screen. All that being said, there is a minority of viewers, myself included, who know they could have done much more with all the talent and potential lying within Now You See Me...or maybe they couldn't, and shouldn't have bothered to try.

I'm hesitant to say the movie is bad, because deep down it truly isn't. Everyone, from Woody Harrelson to Michael Caine and every name-drop in between does their job and fits in snug with what's going on. Somewhere between the intriguing first 20 minutes and the disappointing last hour or so, I kept asking myself, "why am I not enjoying this?" The answer? It could have been so much more.

Hasty references to the "why" of it all do nothing to satisfy the curiosity of the curious, and when the final credits rolled, I realized that this was the point all along. Even after the major reveal takes place and you finally understand the "how", the "why" never materializes. The introduction of the film makes that question the focal point, and the rest of the film does its best to make you forget you ever had the question in your head to begin with.

Again, I can understand the praise, but I felt as if left the theater having been cheated out of my money. Considering a couple of the main scenes in the film, perhaps this was the filmmakers' entire goal to begin with. It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Regardless, most people seemed to enjoy it, so there's no reason to bash it any further than by saying it simply wasn't what I wanted it to be. It happens sometimes.
  26. Aug 22, 2013
    Relies far too much on unconvincing 'magic'. The producers pushed the boat out too far, filling the movie with a collection of tricks that would have required extensive setup in reality, but appear out of thin air. As a result, the main characters come across as little more than a bunch of talentless, arrogant twits coasting through a CGI playground. Tedious, boring, and ultimately far too obvious. Expand
  27. Aug 23, 2013
    If only this movie would've disappeared in front of my eyes. The only magic thing about this is how people are going to give their money to this crap.
  28. Aug 25, 2013
    First, I was excited because I like magic and I like bank heists. But then it all came down in a big crumble. There is no character development throughout the movie. There was no real good guys or real bad guys, which made is very subtile and took the suspense out completely. Nothing more Tuesday night lullaby.
  29. Sep 7, 2013
    Wanna see a magic trick that's only possible via computer graphics? Suffer through Now You See Me. The music and sweeping camera does all it can to make you care, but since little time is spent developing the four horsemen characters, you really can't be bothered. This movie will drag you around back and fourth in an attempt to throw you off, but when the big reveal comes, all you can think about is how meaningless it turned out to be.

Also, what the heck is with all the occult references that turn out to be meaningless. Randomly chosen tarot cards, weird uneducated references to the eye of horus, four horsemen? It's like they pulled this stuff out of a hat and stuck them in the script to create a cheap sense of mystery.
  30. Sep 8, 2013
    Horrible! This movie is the turd in the spiked punch bowel. Excellent cast, interesting subject that somehow managed to thoroughly and completely jump the shark! They did a pretty good of building anticipation that SOMETHING interesting was coming....just stick with us...we know the movie doesn't make a whole lot of sense yet, but SOMETHING is going to happen just hang in there......That something didn't help the movie make anymore sense, served to make everyone in the room stop the movie and stay...HUH???? WHY??

It completely jumped the shark and made the entire movie pointless. It's like they threw the plot lines into a hat, shook them up and reached and and grabbed 3 and said OK, THAT'S THE MOVIE! We will dazzle them with shock and awe, nobody will care about the plot! It didn't work in Iraq, and it doesn't work for this movie. Simply horrid. Stay far far away, it will only serve to piss you off trying to figure out how this ever made sense to anyone not high on dope.
  31. Sep 21, 2013
    Una historia que se esforzó demasiado por ser más inteligente de lo que realmente es. Presentándonos la mayor cantidad de cliché que pueden existir en un libreto. Que tratan de robar nuestro aliento llevándose un bostezo. No me pareció algo fuera de lo normal, más bien me pareció una película que se puede ver en la comodidad del hogar. Aclarando que sin una bolsa de popcorn lo que mencioné anteriormente es debatible. Es más impresionante ver un espectáculo de magos en vivo, que un espectáculo de magos en una película donde todo es posible. ¿Por qué me tiene que impresionar un grupo de magos que gozan de toda la magia del cine a su favor? Expand
  32. Sep 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I did have high hopes when I entered the cinema to see this movie; one of my friends had said it was 'amazing', and as I trusted his judgement, I thought I would see just how good it was. For the first 45 minutes or so, I was reasonably impressed. The bank heist I thought was igneous, and the way it had been explained to the audience well measured. The words of the characters 'this is only the beginning', or whatever it was, awoke my curiousity, and that attention was reasonably maintained until afterwards the New Orleans scene.

And then it fell to exactly the same fate that many other movies have done, and hence is the origin of my low scoring. It became unoriginal to the point of disgust, and for the last forty minutes (I know it was forty minutes because I was constantly checking my watch) I was thinking to myself "how could I have not seen before how utterly terrible this film is?". There were signs before that I ignored, dismissing them as one of a couple of cliches all modern films inevitably have. The most prominent is the female police character I have forgotten her name. Her character is perhaps the most uninteresting, cliched, predictable character type. From the moment she uttered her first lines, you know EXACTLY what her character is going to be like. On the exterior somewhat unimpressive, but supremely confident. Full of witty lines, becomes serious when she needs to be, tells emotional stories that have some 'hidden meaning', and of course she and the investigator (again, I forgotten the name, I'll call him X) have a relationship. After all of my expectations were fulfilled, I became so disgusted with this movie. It actually truly confuses me these directors, filmmakers, actors, producers, have all seen more movies than I, and would surely know how to construct a good movie. WHY would you have her conform to every cliche in the book? Surely, after viewing it, you know how retch-inducing it? Maybe someday I'll know. To bring this into some perspective, the exact same thing happened in The Dark Knight Rises, with the character of Cat woman, and is the one of the reasons I detest that movie as well. Contrastingly, The Dark Knight is one of my favourite films of all time. It just goes to show what difference originality makes in the making of a film. Or if not complete originality, not complete cliched material.

That character epitomises many of the similar things wrong with this movie the annoyingly 'witty' dialog between the mentalist and Jesse Eisenberg, the unintelligent lines of X, the lame plot involving the Magic Circle or whatever its called, with the dusty old book, and finally the ending. Perhaps the reason why this ending is without doubt, the worst I have ever seen, is that it tears the entire film apart. Looking back at all the action, not one line, or event, even makes sense, as it turns out the policeman is actually the one helping them? What? The film just self-destructs for this very reason. Again, I shall provide some perspective. After watching NYSM, I watched Ocean's Eleven and the difference was laughable. It's not just the sophistication, the characterisation of the latter, but the ending. The ending of Ocean's Eleven is clever, the rest of the film works perfectly, and you marvel in the ingenuity of the heist. By contrast, Ocean's Twelve self-destructs in a similar way to this film the last five minutes just renders the previous hour watched absolutely useless. It makes the audience feels like they've been tricked no, it does not make one marvel.

I did give this a 4, and the actual method of the heist (especially the last and first one) are reasonably ingenious, meriting some score. But what promise this movie did have was primarily destroyed as some many films are nowadays, by the loss of originality and the way in which everything it in characters, events, dialogue is cliched and predictable.
  33. Oct 16, 2013
    this movie had great actors that I'm a fan and an interesting plot about magic, but the movie is very boring and is full of things quite annoying part until the end was good but the tail end collapsed the entire movie.
  34. Nov 30, 2013
    Given the characters in it,I kind of expected more from this one.Over-exaggeration,inflation,underestimating the IQ of viewers are some of the biggest mistakes of this movie.They tired pulling out The prestige and Italian Job in this one and just got stuck on The Cabin in the Woods i.e Insanity.Some scenes just make you feel "are the police and other guys so dumb!"I am giving a 4 just for the crew..out of which 3 are for Morgan Freeman Expand
  35. Dec 13, 2013
    Really hated this movie. It's been months since I've seen it, but whilst browsing youtube I was reminded of this piece of turd and feel the need to vent. I've never been to a movie and felt so awful after walking out. Even my friend who was super excited to see this film looked at me in the middle of the climax and said "this is really bad". I hated the characters. They were slick and arrogant, con men and thieves but of course they turn out to have hearts of gold and help people get back at evil corporations. The motivation for the main character is so laughably weak I'm left wondering if this movie is suppose to be a satire of bad action movies. The characters were really bland and the plot is super predictable. Although I have to admit I didn't see the plot twist coming, but that's because despite how bad the movie was I didn't think it was going to be that bad. However, The brilliant film makers proved me wrong and overturned whatever little they established in the movie and quickly crammed a whole new back story/character motivation in the final five minutes. I honestly can't say I'm surprised either, I was in such an emotional limbo I couldn't bring myself to care. Expand
  36. Dec 24, 2013
    I rarely see bad movies in theaters, I rarely do, but I was forced to watch this, THIS, due to a theater that was so poor on selection, I only picked it because it was the best movie I could think and wasn't a sequel. Oh God, why didn't I just swallow up my idea of watching all movies before sequels and watch like Fast and Furious 5 or 6, because this is the worst I've seen this year, I know it's probably not the worst of the year for most, but since I don't see many bad ones, this is. This movie manages to somehow suck away all of the talent of it's (admittedly charming) cast, and makes them all either repeating a movie they've already been in (Mark Ruffalo) or just sucks away any of their charm or wit (Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, Woody Harrelson). It's horribly structured, poorly edited, and clumsily executed, however, the biggest error in this disaster heist movie is that it never, NEVER EVER EVER EVER, EXPLAINS WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING, You will constantly be wondering about plot motivations, character motivations, how someone is still alive, how a plan worked, why in the hell would anyone do this, what sense does that make, why, OH WHY, can't these people just sit down, and talk about exposition that we need, not exposition that we don't, somehow, it has a talent of having too MUCH plot, or NO plot at all. This movie is a statistical anomaly, and not in the good way, so just stay away, what ever you do, just stay far away from this film which will bring questions to your head, and not of the thought-provoking kind Expand
  37. Feb 19, 2014
    Entirely subpar in every aspect. The story is a weak heist meets Robin Hood, meets magic mix, and the magic is meant to be illusions. The plot annoyingly relies on shear luck to get through any situations, although the 8/10 cast, try as they might cant bring this movie up from its score,

4/10 its a little below average, due to the twist that makes most of the story pointless and
    uninteresting story throughout. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Jul 5, 2013
    Ocean’s Eleven meets The Prestige? Not quite. Starts well, ends in a heap, but in between there’s just enough splash and flash to distract from the lack of substance
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jul 5, 2013
    Overcooked, overcomplicated and underinteresting, this heist caper turns into a mess.
  3. Reviewed by:  Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 6, 2013
    Much of what makes Now You See Me so entertaining — in a gaudy, disposable, Vegas act sort of way — is its ever-escalating ridiculousness.