6.9

1. Jul 4, 2013
    I guess where this film fails the most is that despite it being a film about magic, I didn't really feel any sense of wonder or disbelief. Nothing about this film was captivating which is a real shame because the premise is a very cool one. It's just a case of really mediocre execution. To the film's credit there were some really quite nice camera sequences and the twist at the end,I guess where this film fails the most is that despite it being a film about magic, I didn't really feel any sense of wonder or disbelief. Nothing about this film was captivating which is a real shame because the premise is a very cool one. It's just a case of really mediocre execution. To the film's credit there were some really quite nice camera sequences and the twist at the end, whilst not entirely unpredictable considering the nature of the film was a very good one but the film as a whole felt so empty and unsatisfying. The characters are probably the worst part of the film. The main 4 characters were some of the blandest main characters I've seen in a long time and I felt like I couldn't connect with them at all. They felt so stock, the kind of characters a 13 year old would try to come up with. The film also tries to be clever in the way it executes a number of things but it just falls short completely. Personally the worst thing a film can be for me is boring and unsatisfying which is what this film was for me. There's a few positive factors but overall the film just felt like a waste of time and money. Expand
  2. May 4, 2014
    Given the movie's cast and word of mouth, I was expecting a lot more than I got. Not a total waste of time--the two female leads are gorgeous--but not far from it, either.
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    "Now You See Me" was itself a type of magic trick. Louis Leterrier uses a great cast with the premise of magic and bank robbery to draw us in. Unfortunately it doesn't take long to realize that instead of character development we get Morgan Freeman explaining the plot after the fact. At no point did I find myself wondering "how is this going to turn out?" The magic has little excitement"Now You See Me" was itself a type of magic trick. Louis Leterrier uses a great cast with the premise of magic and bank robbery to draw us in. Unfortunately it doesn't take long to realize that instead of character development we get Morgan Freeman explaining the plot after the fact. At no point did I find myself wondering "how is this going to turn out?" The magic has little excitement because we know that using CGI, anything is possible. Add that to the fact that the "big reveal" is exactly what you would expect and you end up with the feeling that the trick was on you. Expand
  4. Jul 4, 2013
    There is actually the seed of a good idea here, but the confused execution lets it down. An interesting cast helps and the film is lively enough, but it is all smoke and mirrors. Red herrings abound and there is a surprise revelation at the end, but the improbable premise cannot withstand any serious analysis. An Insistent, almost 70'ish, music score and swirling camera movements try toThere is actually the seed of a good idea here, but the confused execution lets it down. An interesting cast helps and the film is lively enough, but it is all smoke and mirrors. Red herrings abound and there is a surprise revelation at the end, but the improbable premise cannot withstand any serious analysis. An Insistent, almost 70'ish, music score and swirling camera movements try to elevate proceedings to a higher and slicker plane that the material just doesn't deserve. Morgan Freeman redeems himself after his nothing turn in oblivion and some of the editing helps things along. Expand
  5. Jul 21, 2013
    Visually appealing movie that is brought down by the very stupid and unbelievable twists that really stretch the suspension of disbelief. Heavy reliance on CGI when trying to show "magic" which breaks the illusion that the Four Horsemen are only illusionists. Add to that a pretty pointless and shoehorned romance subplot and you get Now You See Me.
  6. Jul 23, 2013
    This movie is not good. The preview is twice the production the movie is. There is no character building, and you are instantly thrust into this story that does not pan out. Do not waste your time.
  7. Aug 21, 2013
    "All flash and no trousers" A weird saying, but who's Father isn't full of oddness? Mine certainly was and he used this expression regularly when something was, basically, bollocks. Now You See Me falls in to this category. Cool cast, flashy effects, great locations, mixed with a predictable story line, average script and some truly wooden performances Dave Franco, I'm looking at"All flash and no trousers" A weird saying, but who's Father isn't full of oddness? Mine certainly was and he used this expression regularly when something was, basically, bollocks. Now You See Me falls in to this category. Cool cast, flashy effects, great locations, mixed with a predictable story line, average script and some truly wooden performances Dave Franco, I'm looking at you.

It's mindless entertainment for the masses. Avoid paying cinema ticket price, perhaps watch for free when it hits your PTV provider; provided you are fully up to date with your TV series viewing....
  8. Aug 23, 2013
    If only this movie would've disappeared in front of my eyes. The only magic thing about this is how people are going to give their money to this crap.
  9. Sep 7, 2013
    Wanna see a magic trick that's only possible via computer graphics? Suffer through Now You See Me. The music and sweeping camera does all it can to make you care, but since little time is spent developing the four horsemen characters, you really can't be bothered. This movie will drag you around back and fourth in an attempt to throw you off, but when the big reveal comes, all you canWanna see a magic trick that's only possible via computer graphics? Suffer through Now You See Me. The music and sweeping camera does all it can to make you care, but since little time is spent developing the four horsemen characters, you really can't be bothered. This movie will drag you around back and fourth in an attempt to throw you off, but when the big reveal comes, all you can think about is how meaningless it turned out to be.

Also, what the heck is with all the occult references that turn out to be meaningless. Randomly chosen tarot cards, weird uneducated references to the eye of horus, four horsemen? It's like they pulled this stuff out of a hat and stuck them in the script to create a cheap sense of mystery.
  10. Oct 16, 2013
    this movie had great actors that I'm a fan and an interesting plot about magic, but the movie is very boring and is full of things quite annoying part until the end was good but the tail end collapsed the entire movie.
  11. Jun 14, 2013
    This was one of my worst movie experiences in the past ten years: terribly derivative, intellectually insulting, and a complete waste of time. The sequence of events are too convenient for a heist movie, so the magic element had to be thrown in. However, the magic show scenes are too boring, and the interplay between the characters is too dull to be a magic movie...so some heist elementThis was one of my worst movie experiences in the past ten years: terribly derivative, intellectually insulting, and a complete waste of time. The sequence of events are too convenient for a heist movie, so the magic element had to be thrown in. However, the magic show scenes are too boring, and the interplay between the characters is too dull to be a magic movie...so some heist element had to be thrown in. This was my general take it is neither one nor the other, nor good enough to be either.

The bright spots in the movie are Dave Franco and Mélanie Laurent (Shosanna from Inglourious Basterds), the only two actors given real characters and a chance to turn in decent performances. Everyone else plays a smug version of themselves.

Any specific complaint about the movie would include spoilers, so here are some surface-level observations:
    Acting mediocre, with hints of terrible by Mark Ruffalo.
    Plot much more convenient than clever, with "magic" used to explain away impossible plot points.
    Dialog snarky and witty (excluding Ruffalo's character), but so much so that there are no real characters, just one-liner automatons.
    Plot twists there are no real plot twists...if you think "what is the most ridiculous thing that can happen in this situation," that is exactly what will happen.
    The ending I almost threw up in my empty pop-corn box. Saccharine doesn't come close to describing it.
    Overall philosophy Magic exists? Insurance companies are evil? Revenge is sweet? Love pops up in the strangest places?
  12. Apr 29, 2014
    Like hairography, camera movement is relentless to disguise the lack of innovation and originality beneath it. It features dialogue which serves only to further stereotypes and drag plot in a direction slightly resembling forwards. Were I a magician, I would make this film disappear. I am not, so it remains.
  13. Jul 3, 2013
    This is one of the worst movies i've ever seen! I'm not going to add anything. Watch it if you want, but i don't recommend it. My score is 2/10 ,without no doubt
  14. Aug 25, 2013
    Terrible Movie however it's weirdly entertaining.
    What was the whole point in the movie? (spoiler alert)
    Terrible Movie however it's weirdly entertaining.
    What was the whole point in the movie? (spoiler alert)
    Mark Ruffalo spent 30 years working his way up in the FBI to exact revenge on some people who were in no way responsible for the death of his father. Is it just me that thinks it stupid that mark ruffalo wants to put Morgan Freeman in prison for simple telling people how his dad did a magic trick, how all of Micheal Cains money is stolen because he didn't pay out on an insurance claim and how they stole half a billion dollars because the company made a safe below standard?
    And as for the ending……
    So mark ruffalo was part of 'the eye' and the four horsemen for no apparent reason put themselves into the public eye as wanted criminals to become part of a secret society. The four horseman have given up their whole lives to help Mark Ruffalo for no reason at all apart from being initiated into a secret society, again which they will gain nothing from.
    So in conclusion: incredibly far-fetched and far to complicated for no reason, there was no character development and in my opinion one of the worst and most pointless movies i have seen in years….
  15. Sep 21, 2013
    Una historia que se esforzó demasiado por ser más inteligente de lo que realmente es. Presentándonos la mayor cantidad de cliché que pueden existir en un libreto. Que tratan de robar nuestro aliento llevándose un bostezo. No me pareció algo fuera de lo normal, más bien me pareció una película que se puede ver en la comodidad del hogar. Aclarando que sin una bolsa de popcorn lo queUna historia que se esforzó demasiado por ser más inteligente de lo que realmente es. Presentándonos la mayor cantidad de cliché que pueden existir en un libreto. Que tratan de robar nuestro aliento llevándose un bostezo. No me pareció algo fuera de lo normal, más bien me pareció una película que se puede ver en la comodidad del hogar. Aclarando que sin una bolsa de popcorn lo que mencioné anteriormente es debatible. Es más impresionante ver un espectáculo de magos en vivo, que un espectáculo de magos en una película donde todo es posible. ¿Por qué me tiene que impresionar un grupo de magos que gozan de toda la magia del cine a su favor? Expand
  16. Dec 24, 2013
    I rarely see bad movies in theaters, I rarely do, but I was forced to watch this, THIS, due to a theater that was so poor on selection, I only picked it because it was the best movie I could think and wasn't a sequel. Oh God, why didn't I just swallow up my idea of watching all movies before sequels and watch like Fast and Furious 5 or 6, because this is the worst I've seen this year, II rarely see bad movies in theaters, I rarely do, but I was forced to watch this, THIS, due to a theater that was so poor on selection, I only picked it because it was the best movie I could think and wasn't a sequel. Oh God, why didn't I just swallow up my idea of watching all movies before sequels and watch like Fast and Furious 5 or 6, because this is the worst I've seen this year, I know it's probably not the worst of the year for most, but since I don't see many bad ones, this is. This movie manages to somehow suck away all of the talent of it's (admittedly charming) cast, and makes them all either repeating a movie they've already been in (Mark Ruffalo) or just sucks away any of their charm or wit (Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, Woody Harrelson). It's horribly structured, poorly edited, and clumsily executed, however, the biggest error in this disaster heist movie is that it never, NEVER EVER EVER EVER, EXPLAINS WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING, You will constantly be wondering about plot motivations, character motivations, how someone is still alive, how a plan worked, why in the hell would anyone do this, what sense does that make, why, OH WHY, can't these people just sit down, and talk about exposition that we need, not exposition that we don't, somehow, it has a talent of having too MUCH plot, or NO plot at all. This movie is a statistical anomaly, and not in the good way, so just stay away, what ever you do, just stay far away from this film which will bring questions to your head, and not of the thought-provoking kind Expand
  17. Sep 15, 2013
    Horrid. Its ccomes across as an arrogant movie which one is supposed to suspend all belief in order to enjoy it. May be find for cult members but the general public dont buy it.
  18. Jun 9, 2013
    This movie relies on every cliche used in movies and bad writing. Can Isla Fisher actually act? The only movie she was remotely good in was The Wedding Crashers. Woody Harrelson's acting is always great and consistent as is Mark Ruffalo's but in this case, the writing was so awful nothing could help it. Yuck blech. At first I thought the movie was a metaphor for the awful ObamaThis movie relies on every cliche used in movies and bad writing. Can Isla Fisher actually act? The only movie she was remotely good in was The Wedding Crashers. Woody Harrelson's acting is always great and consistent as is Mark Ruffalo's but in this case, the writing was so awful nothing could help it. Yuck blech. At first I thought the movie was a metaphor for the awful Obama administration, but then it digressed into another "hate the rich guy and the little guy gets screwed" movie and needs to have his revenge. Not much of a surprise. Bring a pillow if you want to snooze.

Based on reviews of critics here, I wish I had given the Great Gatsby a TEN in retrospect.
  19. Oct 11, 2013
    This was an absolute awful movie, I know what they tried to do but my god could any movie fall any shorter from the mark, the CGI was garbage, the "Magic tricks" was just a bunch of mombo jumbo. I wish i never rented it...
  20. Oct 31, 2013
    You will not get the time you spend watching this movie back. I just feel bad that Morgan Freeman spent even more of it to make this slick looking, but stupid, stupid movie.
  21. Jun 15, 2013
    WAY too hard to follow
    very confusing and unbeleivable
    it could have been made much better if it was less technicale and understandable

now i did go with a girl and was paying attetntion to her also but neither of us understood it and our too friends that went

i would not recomend this movie
  22. Aug 22, 2013
    Relies far too much on unconvincing 'magic'. The producers pushed the boat out too far, filling the movie with a collection of tricks that would have required extensive setup in reality, but appear out of thin air. As a result, the main characters come across as little more than a bunch of talentless, arrogant twits coasting through a CGI playground. Tedious, boring, and ultimately far tooRelies far too much on unconvincing 'magic'. The producers pushed the boat out too far, filling the movie with a collection of tricks that would have required extensive setup in reality, but appear out of thin air. As a result, the main characters come across as little more than a bunch of talentless, arrogant twits coasting through a CGI playground. Tedious, boring, and ultimately far too obvious. Expand
  23. Aug 25, 2013
    First, I was excited because I like magic and I like bank heists. But then it all came down in a big crumble. There is no character development throughout the movie. There was no real good guys or real bad guys, which made is very subtile and took the suspense out completely. Nothing more Tuesday night lullaby.
  24. Sep 8, 2013
    Horrible! This movie is the turd in the spiked punch bowel. Excellent cast, interesting subject that somehow managed to thoroughly and completely jump the shark! They did a pretty good of building anticipation that SOMETHING interesting was coming....just stick with us...we know the movie doesn't make a whole lot of sense yet, but SOMETHING is going to happen just hang in there......ThatHorrible! This movie is the turd in the spiked punch bowel. Excellent cast, interesting subject that somehow managed to thoroughly and completely jump the shark! They did a pretty good of building anticipation that SOMETHING interesting was coming....just stick with us...we know the movie doesn't make a whole lot of sense yet, but SOMETHING is going to happen just hang in there......That something didn't help the movie make anymore sense, served to make everyone in the room stop the movie and stay...HUH???? WHY??

It completely jumped the shark and made the entire movie pointless. It's like they threw the plot lines into a hat, shook them up and reached and and grabbed 3 and said OK, THAT'S THE MOVIE! We will dazzle them with shock and awe, nobody will care about the plot! It didn't work in Iraq, and it doesn't work for this movie. Simply horrid. Stay far far away, it will only serve to piss you off trying to figure out how this ever made sense to anyone not high on dope.
  25. Dec 13, 2013
    Really hated this movie. It's been months since I've seen it, but whilst browsing youtube I was reminded of this piece of turd and feel the need to vent. I've never been to a movie and felt so awful after walking out. Even my friend who was super excited to see this film looked at me in the middle of the climax and said "this is really bad". I hated the characters. They were slick andReally hated this movie. It's been months since I've seen it, but whilst browsing youtube I was reminded of this piece of turd and feel the need to vent. I've never been to a movie and felt so awful after walking out. Even my friend who was super excited to see this film looked at me in the middle of the climax and said "this is really bad". I hated the characters. They were slick and arrogant, con men and thieves but of course they turn out to have hearts of gold and help people get back at evil corporations. The motivation for the main character is so laughably weak I'm left wondering if this movie is suppose to be a satire of bad action movies. The characters were really bland and the plot is super predictable. Although I have to admit I didn't see the plot twist coming, but that's because despite how bad the movie was I didn't think it was going to be that bad. However, The brilliant film makers proved me wrong and overturned whatever little they established in the movie and quickly crammed a whole new back story/character motivation in the final five minutes. I honestly can't say I'm surprised either, I was in such an emotional limbo I couldn't bring myself to care. Expand
  26. Oct 13, 2013
    Intellectually insulting, The story felt like it was written as they were shooting the movie! as did the twists and turns. I couldn't believe people are rating this movie so high!
  27. Jul 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh how convenient, the "inside guy" was running the whole investigation the entire time. Yeah you really tricked the audience there, haha that was a great trick. And Morgan Freeman finally gets stumped by the tricky plot, so no freckle this time. Expand
  28. Nov 2, 2013
    One of the worst movies I have seen this year, two hours of my life that I will never get back. The entire cast just did this film for a paycheck. The real magic trick was taking my money.
  29. Aug 25, 2013
    This is possibly the worst film i've ever seen, and i'm not saying that lightly. I cannot understand these positive reviews other than they're mentally deficient or paid to do so.

Basically the plot is a poorly executed mess. The film itself lies to the audience, so when the lame twists happen they just feel like the writers trying to get back on course. It's like a script that's not gone through so much as one revised draft.

The only way to explain the cast, budget, etc. is that the film simply fell apart in production. Perhaps the emphasis was put on all the wrong aspects.

If you like this... I can't respect you. It's wholly broken. I'd sooner watch Human Centipede, Battleship or a rom com.
  30. May 31, 2013
    this the worst movies I have seen so far this year, you would think with a cast like this. it would be good, but it wasn't. this was two hour of my life that I will never get back The entire cast should find new agents. They are all talented enough not to waste their time on stuff like this A bank getting robbed in this movie, I got robbed. The thing you don't see coming sitting throughthis the worst movies I have seen so far this year, you would think with a cast like this. it would be good, but it wasn't. this was two hour of my life that I will never get back The entire cast should find new agents. They are all talented enough not to waste their time on stuff like this A bank getting robbed in this movie, I got robbed. The thing you don't see coming sitting through and getting nothing in return. I would rather sit through a boring Las Vegas magic show. No you me telling every disappear yourselves from this one. If it on for the bad movies like this, you could not appreciate the good one. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Jul 5, 2013
    Ocean’s Eleven meets The Prestige? Not quite. Starts well, ends in a heap, but in between there’s just enough splash and flash to distract from the lack of substance
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jul 5, 2013
    Overcooked, overcomplicated and underinteresting, this heist caper turns into a mess.
  3. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 6, 2013
    Much of what makes Now You See Me so entertaining — in a gaudy, disposable, Vegas act sort of way — is its ever-escalating ridiculousness.