6.9

1. Jun 14, 2013
    This was one of my worst movie experiences in the past ten years: terribly derivative, intellectually insulting, and a complete waste of time. The sequence of events are too convenient for a heist movie, so the magic element had to be thrown in. However, the magic show scenes are too boring, and the interplay between the characters is too dull to be a magic movie...so some heist elementThis was one of my worst movie experiences in the past ten years: terribly derivative, intellectually insulting, and a complete waste of time. The sequence of events are too convenient for a heist movie, so the magic element had to be thrown in. However, the magic show scenes are too boring, and the interplay between the characters is too dull to be a magic movie...so some heist element had to be thrown in. This was my general take it is neither one nor the other, nor good enough to be either.

The bright spots in the movie are Dave Franco and Mélanie Laurent (Shosanna from Inglourious Basterds), the only two actors given real characters and a chance to turn in decent performances. Everyone else plays a smug version of themselves.

Any specific complaint about the movie would include spoilers, so here are some surface-level observations:
    Acting mediocre, with hints of terrible by Mark Ruffalo.
    Plot much more convenient than clever, with "magic" used to explain away impossible plot points.
    Dialog snarky and witty (excluding Ruffalo's character), but so much so that there are no real characters, just one-liner automatons.
    Plot twists there are no real plot twists...if you think "what is the most ridiculous thing that can happen in this situation," that is exactly what will happen.
    The ending I almost threw up in my empty pop-corn box. Saccharine doesn't come close to describing it.
    Overall philosophy Magic exists? Insurance companies are evil? Revenge is sweet? Love pops up in the strangest places?
  2. May 31, 2013
    this the worst movies I have seen so far this year, you would think with a cast like this. it would be good, but it wasn't. this was two hour of my life that I will never get back The entire cast should find new agents. They are all talented enough not to waste their time on stuff like this A bank getting robbed in this movie, I got robbed. The thing you don't see coming sitting throughthis the worst movies I have seen so far this year, you would think with a cast like this. it would be good, but it wasn't. this was two hour of my life that I will never get back The entire cast should find new agents. They are all talented enough not to waste their time on stuff like this A bank getting robbed in this movie, I got robbed. The thing you don't see coming sitting through and getting nothing in return. I would rather sit through a boring Las Vegas magic show. No you me telling every disappear yourselves from this one. If it on for the bad movies like this, you could not appreciate the good one. Expand
  3. May 31, 2013
    I was expecting a lot from this movie, as the premise (magicians AND heists?!?) sounded like a combination made in heaven, and the cast was a dream (Eisenberg and Harrelson back after an awesome Zombieland teamup, and then sprinkle in both Morgan Freeman AND Michael Caine?). This movie should have been a 10. "Unfortunately," it was just an 8. The movie was a lot of fun throughout, wasn'tI was expecting a lot from this movie, as the premise (magicians AND heists?!?) sounded like a combination made in heaven, and the cast was a dream (Eisenberg and Harrelson back after an awesome Zombieland teamup, and then sprinkle in both Morgan Freeman AND Michael Caine?). This movie should have been a 10. "Unfortunately," it was just an 8. The movie was a lot of fun throughout, wasn't patronizing, had some decent twists, was well acted and directed, and never tried to explain anything supernaturally (which I would have hated as a proud skeptic). It was just a bunch of smart, smooth magicians being awesome. The reason it wasn't a 10? It wasn't perfect, so no 10, and I simply never got goosebumps or was left reeling, which is the standard I hold most 9s to. However, I'd definitely recommend this movie very highly. Expand
  4. Jun 4, 2013
    "Now You See Me" was itself a type of magic trick. Louis Leterrier uses a great cast with the premise of magic and bank robbery to draw us in. Unfortunately it doesn't take long to realize that instead of character development we get Morgan Freeman explaining the plot after the fact. At no point did I find myself wondering "how is this going to turn out?" The magic has little excitement"Now You See Me" was itself a type of magic trick. Louis Leterrier uses a great cast with the premise of magic and bank robbery to draw us in. Unfortunately it doesn't take long to realize that instead of character development we get Morgan Freeman explaining the plot after the fact. At no point did I find myself wondering "how is this going to turn out?" The magic has little excitement because we know that using CGI, anything is possible. Add that to the fact that the "big reveal" is exactly what you would expect and you end up with the feeling that the trick was on you. Expand
  5. Aug 25, 2013
    This is possibly the worst film i've ever seen, and i'm not saying that lightly. I cannot understand these positive reviews other than they're mentally deficient or paid to do so.

Basically the plot is a poorly executed mess. The film itself lies to the audience, so when the lame twists happen they just feel like the writers trying to get back on course. It's like a script that's not gone through so much as one revised draft.

The only way to explain the cast, budget, etc. is that the film simply fell apart in production. Perhaps the emphasis was put on all the wrong aspects.

If you like this... I can't respect you. It's wholly broken. I'd sooner watch Human Centipede, Battleship or a rom com.
  6. Jun 4, 2013
    Just ignore all the bad critics and mediocre rate. This movie is incredible!. Even though, It isn't as perfect as The Prestige. But it's absolutely worth to watch! From the beginning till the end, you'll feel the tension and enlightened moment. The twist is awesome. Great job Morgan! you confused me a lot.
  7. May 31, 2013
    This was a surprisingly good crime thriller. The effects were great, story and actors were all well done. Pacing was good if not better than average for the length and it didn't try to force in room for a sequel or ruin it by showing to much in the previews. A must watch.
  8. Jun 5, 2013
    We thoroughly enjoyed this movie...fun entertainment with a surprising twist at the very end. Not a lot of magic in the film, but enough to keep you watching for the next trick. I do not like either Harrelson or Freeman since both seem so arrogant, but the cast just *worked* together. Certainly a far better movie than a lot I have seen lately, but I go to be lost in the magic of movies,We thoroughly enjoyed this movie...fun entertainment with a surprising twist at the very end. Not a lot of magic in the film, but enough to keep you watching for the next trick. I do not like either Harrelson or Freeman since both seem so arrogant, but the cast just *worked* together. Certainly a far better movie than a lot I have seen lately, but I go to be lost in the magic of movies, not for any deep psychological studies or great social commentary. Expand
  9. Oct 13, 2013
    Intellectually insulting, The story felt like it was written as they were shooting the movie! as did the twists and turns. I couldn't believe people are rating this movie so high!
  10. May 31, 2013
    You can get some "wow" moments from Now You See Me but limited amount. It's not Ocean's Eleven or Tower Heist. It's a heist movie with wow moments and magicians. Now You See Me was directed by Louis Leterrier, the filmmaker responsible for the European pop-art hit The Transporter as well as The Incredible Hulk and the Clash of the Titans remake. The film’s magician caper/heist storylineYou can get some "wow" moments from Now You See Me but limited amount. It's not Ocean's Eleven or Tower Heist. It's a heist movie with wow moments and magicians. Now You See Me was directed by Louis Leterrier, the filmmaker responsible for the European pop-art hit The Transporter as well as The Incredible Hulk and the Clash of the Titans remake. The film’s magician caper/heist storyline which was engineered by Boaz Yakin (Prince of Persia) and relative newcomer Edward Ricourt works in unison with Leterrier’s fine knowledge of cinematic technique. This gives rise to an interesting subtext about the enduring “magic” of movies, the purpose of art as entertainment, and the heightened importance of creative integrity in an age where cynical skepticism sells. Because of that, Now You See Me isn’t so much a character study one set in the world of magicians as Christopher Nolan’s The Prestige; instead, it approaches related subject matter from a very different angle and proves equally successful in certain regards. Leterrier’s film trades in the nihilism of The Prestige in favor of hopefulness and shows how referencing “movie magic” can be captivating; that is, without either coming off as self-congratulatory or waxing nostalgic about film artistry in an on-the-nose manner.
    That’s to say: if you’re interested in a suave demonstration of cinematic showmanship (no more, but no less) via a thrill-ride movie featuring devious (yet charming) magic performers, then you might want to consider giving this one a look.
  11. Jul 21, 2013
    Visually appealing movie that is brought down by the very stupid and unbelievable twists that really stretch the suspension of disbelief. Heavy reliance on CGI when trying to show "magic" which breaks the illusion that the Four Horsemen are only illusionists. Add to that a pretty pointless and shoehorned romance subplot and you get Now You See Me.
  12. May 31, 2013
    Just came from the theatre and talked all the way home about how much we enjoyed this movie from the very first minute. We felt it was well cast,well directed and totally entertaining. Even the music was catchy. It moved right along, did not spend too much time on character back stories and offered a number of interesting twists. I'd pay full price) to see it again!
  13. Aug 25, 2013
    Terrible Movie however it's weirdly entertaining.
    What was the whole point in the movie? (spoiler alert)
    Terrible Movie however it's weirdly entertaining.
    What was the whole point in the movie? (spoiler alert)
    Mark Ruffalo spent 30 years working his way up in the FBI to exact revenge on some people who were in no way responsible for the death of his father. Is it just me that thinks it stupid that mark ruffalo wants to put Morgan Freeman in prison for simple telling people how his dad did a magic trick, how all of Micheal Cains money is stolen because he didn't pay out on an insurance claim and how they stole half a billion dollars because the company made a safe below standard?
    And as for the ending……
    So mark ruffalo was part of 'the eye' and the four horsemen for no apparent reason put themselves into the public eye as wanted criminals to become part of a secret society. The four horseman have given up their whole lives to help Mark Ruffalo for no reason at all apart from being initiated into a secret society, again which they will gain nothing from.
    So in conclusion: incredibly far-fetched and far to complicated for no reason, there was no character development and in my opinion one of the worst and most pointless movies i have seen in years….
  14. Jun 8, 2013
    “Now You See Me” stars Woody Harrelson, Jesse Isenberg, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Mark Ruffalo and Isla Fisher in this film which is basically a poor imitiation of “Oceans Eleven”. The film tells the tale of four prestidigitators as they attempt to work their “magic” in order to commit grand theft (with the emphasis on the word “grand”).
    Directed by Louis Letterier (“The Incredible
    Directed by Louis Letterier (“The Incredible Hulk”, “Clash of the Titans”) the film never quite achieves its potential and ends up being too slick with events too difficult to believe or follow (despite the poor attempts by its 5 writers to gain that result).
    This is a movie that is confusing and contrived. Nevertheless, for some strange reason, it keeps the audience interested and involved although none of us were sure exactly what the circumstances were that we were witnessing..
    Good acting by all involved saves the day and earns the film a 7.5 rating but to make this film more than that is a feat even Houdini and Mandrake combined couldn’t accomplish..
  15. Jun 4, 2013
    "Well acted, well directed and an amazing concept and story. Now You See Me is the freshest, coolest and one of the most original flicks to come along this year. Filled with surprises at every corner and a stunning final act, its a film you have to see." A-
  16. Jun 8, 2013
    Yet another instance where I am glad I did not listen to the 'professional' reviewers. This movie kept me entertained every minute. 'Now You See Me' is clever and fun. I appreciated that there was humor without a bunch of silliness, no long lulls of character back story development, and no sequel set up at the end. I also like that it was smart, but not overly complicated. I tookYet another instance where I am glad I did not listen to the 'professional' reviewers. This movie kept me entertained every minute. 'Now You See Me' is clever and fun. I appreciated that there was humor without a bunch of silliness, no long lulls of character back story development, and no sequel set up at the end. I also like that it was smart, but not overly complicated. I took my mom and my teenaged kids and everyone was able follow the plot through all the twists and turns. We all loved it! Expand
  17. Jun 9, 2013
    This movie relies on every cliche used in movies and bad writing. Can Isla Fisher actually act? The only movie she was remotely good in was The Wedding Crashers. Woody Harrelson's acting is always great and consistent as is Mark Ruffalo's but in this case, the writing was so awful nothing could help it. Yuck blech. At first I thought the movie was a metaphor for the awful ObamaThis movie relies on every cliche used in movies and bad writing. Can Isla Fisher actually act? The only movie she was remotely good in was The Wedding Crashers. Woody Harrelson's acting is always great and consistent as is Mark Ruffalo's but in this case, the writing was so awful nothing could help it. Yuck blech. At first I thought the movie was a metaphor for the awful Obama administration, but then it digressed into another "hate the rich guy and the little guy gets screwed" movie and needs to have his revenge. Not much of a surprise. Bring a pillow if you want to snooze.

Based on reviews of critics here, I wish I had given the Great Gatsby a TEN in retrospect.
  18. May 31, 2013
    For what it's worth, it's surprisingly an interesting magic movie. It's entertaining and surprisinlgy well acted. As far as characters go, it's Morgan Freeman and Jesse Eisenberg that steal this movie. Most of the other characters are good, but they weren't as good as I expected them to be. To be honest the only characters I didn't really like was Dave Franco and Isla Fisher. The story wasFor what it's worth, it's surprisingly an interesting magic movie. It's entertaining and surprisinlgy well acted. As far as characters go, it's Morgan Freeman and Jesse Eisenberg that steal this movie. Most of the other characters are good, but they weren't as good as I expected them to be. To be honest the only characters I didn't really like was Dave Franco and Isla Fisher. The story was surprisingly interesting. It has certain layers to the story. I mean, you have the heist portion, then you have the action thriller type part, then you have well made drama. There are some scenes that were in a way unrelavent. But don't let that distract you from the story. Overall, it's a well made magic movie. Expand
  19. Jun 1, 2013
    Implausible, yes. Confusing, yes. At the end, WTF? Yes, yes, yes. Still, entertaining as hell. Suburb cast having a great time, and until everything kind of doesn't fall together, it's far more interesting than the usual summer fare. You will walk out at the end saying "wait a minute, what about..." and will not find a coherent answer. Doesn't matter, enjoy Woody and EisenbergImplausible, yes. Confusing, yes. At the end, WTF? Yes, yes, yes. Still, entertaining as hell. Suburb cast having a great time, and until everything kind of doesn't fall together, it's far more interesting than the usual summer fare. You will walk out at the end saying "wait a minute, what about..." and will not find a coherent answer. Doesn't matter, enjoy Woody and Eisenberg having a ball, and Morgan and Michael Caine adding their usual excellent work. Expand
  20. Jun 29, 2013
    Now you see me is pleasant and a clever surprise, with some fascinating effects and one of a kind cast. I loved what the movie is about and I had a really good time watching it, some problems with the movie that are not worth to talk about, despite mediocre reviews, Now you see me is one of the best of 2013.
  21. Jul 26, 2013
    It is not a disappointing film, but rather a disappointment of how good it could have been. There are a lot of great ideas, but then again there are so many holes in the storyline. There are some great actors, but then again one of the main roles is given to Eisenberg who instead of magical he is quite irritating.
  22. Jun 6, 2013
    4 magicians (Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, Dave Franco) are assembled into a super magic act that showers its audiences with money. Meanwhile, the FBI (Mark Ruffalo) and a magic debunker (Morgan Freeman) are out to bust them. The tricks are cool, the look is glossy, the pace never lags and the writing keeps it tight. Just like a good illusion, it's mostly flashy surface4 magicians (Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, Dave Franco) are assembled into a super magic act that showers its audiences with money. Meanwhile, the FBI (Mark Ruffalo) and a magic debunker (Morgan Freeman) are out to bust them. The tricks are cool, the look is glossy, the pace never lags and the writing keeps it tight. Just like a good illusion, it's mostly flashy surface with minimal deep meaning (thankfully). Go expecting slick summer fun and you'll be thoroughly entertained. Expand
  23. Jun 3, 2013
    Fun and flashy to watch; I enjoyed watching the actors and the story unfold. Not a lot of plot and what there was wasn't particularly deep, logical or resolved; and no real connection to the characters. But it was fun, and didn't involve bodily functions, which these days seems to be part of a lot of comedy films. An amusing and unbelievable heist tale.
  24. Jun 3, 2013
    Go see this movie! You will not be disappointed. I found it to be very clever and it has many twists and turns you will not see coming. I compare it to "Oceans 11" and the "Sting".
  25. Jul 4, 2013
    I guess where this film fails the most is that despite it being a film about magic, I didn't really feel any sense of wonder or disbelief. Nothing about this film was captivating which is a real shame because the premise is a very cool one. It's just a case of really mediocre execution. To the film's credit there were some really quite nice camera sequences and the twist at the end,I guess where this film fails the most is that despite it being a film about magic, I didn't really feel any sense of wonder or disbelief. Nothing about this film was captivating which is a real shame because the premise is a very cool one. It's just a case of really mediocre execution. To the film's credit there were some really quite nice camera sequences and the twist at the end, whilst not entirely unpredictable considering the nature of the film was a very good one but the film as a whole felt so empty and unsatisfying. The characters are probably the worst part of the film. The main 4 characters were some of the blandest main characters I've seen in a long time and I felt like I couldn't connect with them at all. They felt so stock, the kind of characters a 13 year old would try to come up with. The film also tries to be clever in the way it executes a number of things but it just falls short completely. Personally the worst thing a film can be for me is boring and unsatisfying which is what this film was for me. There's a few positive factors but overall the film just felt like a waste of time and money. Expand
  26. Jun 15, 2013
    A nice movie with a definitely intriguing plot, good actors but, unfortunately, also with a somewhat letting down conclusion, explaining (or not) things. Worth watching nevertheless.
  27. May 31, 2013
    It's fun in the moment. Some entertaining performances and chase scenes. But there are a half dozen plot holes and an ending that is just lazily handed to the audience. Not awful, just nothing special.
  28. Jun 17, 2013
    Everyone that I've talked to has enjoyed this movie. Could it have been better? Sure. But it was fun, entertaining, and well paced. What's more, even though I thought some of the plot was predictable, they did get me at the end.
  29. Jun 10, 2013
    Is this movie a "classic." No. Maybe to some people. It is a solid film though. I walked into it not sure what it was. Its a film about magic. But I was quite sure it would be a trick on the viewer. One big illusion with them cheating. (Those flashbacks to hidden scenes so that suddenly the pieces fit). I've always viewed that kind of thing as a cheap trick. But they didn't really goIs this movie a "classic." No. Maybe to some people. It is a solid film though. I walked into it not sure what it was. Its a film about magic. But I was quite sure it would be a trick on the viewer. One big illusion with them cheating. (Those flashbacks to hidden scenes so that suddenly the pieces fit). I've always viewed that kind of thing as a cheap trick. But they didn't really go there. The plot is solid. Although like most films riddled with twists your left wondering if a couple of them were un-necessary in the end.
    As far as I can recollect they aren't particularly guilty of that.

The pacing of the film is bang on. The actors are great although I would call this an ensemble piece. With Morgan Freeman and Michel Cain that is saying something the other bunch hold their weight.
    Overall an excellent flick.
  30. Jun 13, 2013
    one of the best this year,the plot will surprise you.you will not be able to take your eyes off.too bad Man of steel steals the light from this movie.if you liked The Prestige ,then you will love this one
  31. Jun 9, 2013
    I actually found this movie to be very enjoyable, with the unexpected twist at the end that had me and my friends looking at each other with wide eyes, mouths agape, and saying, "NO WAY!" haha Loved all the magic, of course, and that it was all mostly explained so we were not left wondering how in the hell they did all those impressive and seemingly impossible tricks. The cast is excellentI actually found this movie to be very enjoyable, with the unexpected twist at the end that had me and my friends looking at each other with wide eyes, mouths agape, and saying, "NO WAY!" haha Loved all the magic, of course, and that it was all mostly explained so we were not left wondering how in the hell they did all those impressive and seemingly impossible tricks. The cast is excellent with good acting to match. The romance angle they put into the story seemed forced, as if they finished the plot already but then some executive came in and said, "No, this needs some romance in it. Make it happen." There are some questionable elements in the plot as well, but not enough to seriously detract from the overall quality of the movie in my opinion. Expand
  32. Jul 4, 2013
    There is actually the seed of a good idea here, but the confused execution lets it down. An interesting cast helps and the film is lively enough, but it is all smoke and mirrors. Red herrings abound and there is a surprise revelation at the end, but the improbable premise cannot withstand any serious analysis. An Insistent, almost 70'ish, music score and swirling camera movements try toThere is actually the seed of a good idea here, but the confused execution lets it down. An interesting cast helps and the film is lively enough, but it is all smoke and mirrors. Red herrings abound and there is a surprise revelation at the end, but the improbable premise cannot withstand any serious analysis. An Insistent, almost 70'ish, music score and swirling camera movements try to elevate proceedings to a higher and slicker plane that the material just doesn't deserve. Morgan Freeman redeems himself after his nothing turn in oblivion and some of the editing helps things along. Expand
  33. Jun 18, 2013
    I thought it was very well acted and very intertaining. Had a few twists and turns and just great fun.It was great the way they explained how all the tricks were pulled off.
  34. Jun 18, 2013
    How refreshing it is to see a film where the child in you is brought out and bewildered. I found myself smiling from start to finish in awe of the magic and suspense.

Perhaps it is the magic or rather trickery that had me smiling; you don't know how they do it and a part of you thinks it is magic. But of course you know it isn't there must be a trick. Either way you have a good time regardless. I found myself agasp much in the same way someone would be if they were personally tricked by a magician.

It is cleverly written, humorous, and has action. What more could you ask from such a fun movie?
  35. Jul 3, 2013
    This is one of the worst movies i've ever seen! I'm not going to add anything. Watch it if you want, but i don't recommend it. My score is 2/10 ,without no doubt
  36. May 31, 2013
    To be honest, I was not expecting much for this movie. It wasn't as hyped as other movies and I would never have known about it if a friend hadn't suggested that we watch it. I have literally jut come home after watching it and I have to say, I enjoyed it. Sure, the characters could have used a little more development, and the movie may seem a little confusing for others, but I was able toTo be honest, I was not expecting much for this movie. It wasn't as hyped as other movies and I would never have known about it if a friend hadn't suggested that we watch it. I have literally jut come home after watching it and I have to say, I enjoyed it. Sure, the characters could have used a little more development, and the movie may seem a little confusing for others, but I was able to keep pace. There is also a rather surprising plot twist (which I won't reveal, obviously). Now You See Me may not be the best movie out there, but it's a pretty good one. Check it out. Expand
  37. Jun 2, 2013
    Most reviews of "Now You See Me" are comparing this movie to the "Ocean" series, but while the elaborate schemes are somewhat similar it really isn't the knockoff one expects. Rather, the movie follows the work of four magicians who call themselves "The Four Horsemen" and thrill audiences with some very intriguing stunts.
    There is the criminal element as stolen money is involved, but
    There is the criminal element as stolen money is involved, but the real story is the wonder of magic itself, or tries to be. Magic is the type of entertainment best seen in person. One cannot take magic too seriously when cameras are involved, at least I don't. There are a couple tricks explained in the movie and like any time you find out how the trick is done, you're surprised either at its simplicity or the amount of preparation that precedes it.
    "Now You See Me" is a fast paced fairly light hearted tale, all the actors and actresses turning in good performances, but none are going to be serious Oscar contenders. The ending has been criticized, but I found it an interesting one. Yes, some parts were ridiculous, but what movie with any action isn't? Overall, this is a decent movie, not mindblowing by any stretch, but worth the price of admission.
  38. Jun 8, 2013
    One of the most entertaining movie of this year. Great cast, interesting plot with some twists, some fun moments, impressive illusion tricks. Overall it a great time
  39. Jun 15, 2013
    WAY too hard to follow
    very confusing and unbeleivable
    it could have been made much better if it was less technicale and understandable

now i did go with a girl and was paying attetntion to her also but neither of us understood it and our too friends that went

i would not recomend this movie
  40. Jun 12, 2013
    This movie was incredible. Ignore the ratings on Metacritic and go see this film. It requires you to think and look in places you would never think to imagine and understand why the trick was happening. At the end there is a moral compass and core for which we should all live by. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie because it kept me on the edge my seat from the very beginning to the end.This movie was incredible. Ignore the ratings on Metacritic and go see this film. It requires you to think and look in places you would never think to imagine and understand why the trick was happening. At the end there is a moral compass and core for which we should all live by. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie because it kept me on the edge my seat from the very beginning to the end. 2 thumbs up! Expand
  41. Nov 2, 2013
    One of the worst movies I have seen this year, two hours of my life that I will never get back. The entire cast just did this film for a paycheck. The real magic trick was taking my money.
  42. Jul 22, 2013
    This film had a lot of problems.

a) There is no lead character, and you just do not know who you are supposed to root for. If you have an ensemble cast, you need to either have them all on the same time or clearly distinguish who is good and who is bad. Hence, all characters in this film were only superficially developed, and you end up not caring about any of them. b) Almost nothing
    This film had a lot of problems.

b) Almost nothing is explained. One of the best parts about heist films, which goes double for a film about magic, is when you get to explain everything in every little detail. This was not done. The narrative also had some gaping holes, such as the incredibly advanced technology which is used to create holograms. Never explained.

c) The twist at the end. I'm trying not to give anything away, but that twist at the end was interchangeable with any other character. The writer obviously just got to the end and thought I need to think of who the bad guy is going to be", and just picked a name out of a hat. Disappointing.

d) A very forced and unnecessary romantic interest.

HOWEVER.

The film was nevertheless enjoyable and entertaining, if not a bit predictable at times. The actors gave good performances, but the Harrelson/Eisenberg duo were begging for way more screentime. But despite my problems with it I enjoyed it and was never bored, just wished I had a character I could root for.
  43. Jun 11, 2013
    It is really smart and really good, I loved it a lot, it is an action in a different and in a really smart and entertaining way, the acting is good, and the actors really fit, the visuals are astonishing, everything in this movie is amazing except that it is somehow hard to understand.
  44. Jun 11, 2013
    I was really enjoying the movie at the beginning but then it sort of went downhill and they didn't pull off the final performance as well as the first one; I was starting to change my mind about this movie until the most mind-blowing, unexpected, and gut-wrenching ending came up that made me recap the whole movie and actually think it was one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen.
  45. Jun 4, 2013
    It's one of those movies that left you guessing until the very end. No one saw it coming. Incredible twist with flavor. It had comedy... And they wasn't trying to hard on the comedy, which is good because If you try to hard it could ruin the movie. I give it a ten.
  46. Jun 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't know how I feel about this film after finally watching it because I was too amped up in watching it that I researched it, read updates from those who saw it and got excited, too excited as my expectations were a bit cheated. (Word of advice, don't read critiques or opinions prior to viewing it) I didn't really read about the film and or have it spoiled for me except seeing previews, videos and hearing so much praise for it that I was expecting mind blowing results but I'm reminded of this saying from Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory) 'You told me it's mind-blowing, so my mind is going into it pre- blown, and once a mind is *pre*-blown, it cannot be *re*-blown.' that is EXACTLY how I felt leaving the theater. It was a great fun movie no doubt. I do not diminish anything about the film but I will say this you have to have the right mindset to thoroughly enjoy it. My only complaint is that there needed to be more development for the four horseman. (It could've used at least another 30 minutes if you ask me) because they needed more screen- time. Im not gonna give anything away but I was not all that blown away in the end. I kinda figured it out. However, great cast, great acting and I WILL see it again. See that is what was brilliant about it. TPTB made it in a way that YOU have to see it again. Whether its for pure enjoyment, catching up or you missed something the first time. Expand
  47. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give it a nine, without a second thought. The actors are all amazingly acclaimed talents, and every single one of them fulfilled his/her role. The pacing was great, the visual effects were stunning, and the plot was brilliantly executed. The catchline of the movie is 'Come in closer, because the more you look, the less you see.' I don't know that the audiences are realizing that THEY are the ones seeing the magic trick.
    The film doesn't center around the Four Horsemen. It's centered around Dylan Rhodes, and Ruffalo plays the bumbling cop who's always a step behind with the classic brilliance we've come to expect from him. You realize after watching it that YOU are the mark in this con, and you don't see the ending coming.
  48. Jun 6, 2013
    There are many things that movies do well and a handful of things that translate poorly onto film. Stage magic falls into the latter category. The spectacle of movie magic delivered by skilled editors and visual effects artists overshadows a sleight-of-hand trick of pulling a rabbit out of a hat or sawing a lady in half. When movie magic can bring to life superheroes, distant planets, andThere are many things that movies do well and a handful of things that translate poorly onto film. Stage magic falls into the latter category. The spectacle of movie magic delivered by skilled editors and visual effects artists overshadows a sleight-of-hand trick of pulling a rabbit out of a hat or sawing a lady in half. When movie magic can bring to life superheroes, distant planets, and creatures of the deep, the ability for an actor to guess a card out of a deck of 52 seems rather muted. The allure of stage magic is not in the act, but rather in the act occurring right under your very nose. Thus the task when creating a movie about magic is to make a movie that is about more than just magic. In this, Now You See Me is successful; creating a story that is entertaining enough to make you want to believe in the on-screen magic.

The thriller from Louis Leterrier Film Review Now You See Me delivers fast paced action sequences, clever dialogue, and its fair share of twists and gotchas. Now You See Me centers around four magicians: J. Daniel Atlas, a showman played by Jessie Eisenberg; Merritt McKinney, an aged mentalist played by Woody Harrelson; Jack Wilder, a pickpocket played by Dave Franco (yes James’ little brother), and Isla Fisher plays Henley Reeves, a former magician’s assistant turned daring escape artist. The four illusionists are joined through a mysterious figure in a gray hoodie and the financial backing of shady businessman, Arthur Tressler (Michael Caine) to form one of Las Vegas’ biggest acts, the Four Horsemen.

The Four Horsemen’s first act is the seemingly impossible act of robbing a bank in Paris while performing at the MGM Grand on the Vegas strip. Enter the authorities led by FBI agent Dylan Rhodes (Mark Ruffalo) and Interpol agent Alma Dray (Mélanie Laurent), who are befuddled and hard-pressed to arrest the group for an act that couldn’t possibly have happened. The duo, out of their element, enlists the help of world-renowned magic debunker Thaddeus Bradley (Morgan Freeman) to expose the Four Horsemen.

The film continues with the Four Horsemen performing even more elaborate heists in the same vein as the Ocean’s 11 franchise in a race to stay one step ahead of Agent Rhodes and the rest of the police force tasked to bring them to justice. Here Leterrier finds a way to mask the fact that none of the actors are trained magicians by filming the performances in a fun, whimsical manner. The heists are detailed and complex enough to keep the audience engaged while remaining just plausible enough to not overwhelm one’s ability to suspend disbelief.

Perhaps the most remarkable element of the heists is that the Four Horsemen keep none of the cash for themselves. This fact leads into an even more elaborate side plot involving secret societies, a mysterious murder, and possibly the existence of real magic. Now You See Me encourages the audience to “come in close, because the more you think you see the easier it will be to fool you.” Thaddeus Bradley’s words ring true. Despite my best efforts I was unable to predict the movie’s inevitable big reveal.
  49. Jun 7, 2013
    As the films mantra goes, the closer you look the less you see, but if you are going to enjoy this film it is a wise decision to do exactly the opposite. There is no need to investigate or inspect each and every twist and turn this film throws at you because there are bound to be holes. No, in fact what is best to do in order to enjoy Now You See Me is to simply sit back and take it in forAs the films mantra goes, the closer you look the less you see, but if you are going to enjoy this film it is a wise decision to do exactly the opposite. There is no need to investigate or inspect each and every twist and turn this film throws at you because there are bound to be holes. No, in fact what is best to do in order to enjoy Now You See Me is to simply sit back and take it in for what it is: pure, escapist cinema that delivers a relentlessly fun and entertaining ride that speeds by and leaves you satisfied when the credits begin to roll. Kudos to this movie for being able to stand on its own two feet in a season where every Friday is dominated by a sequel or spin off or re-make or something that is a familiar product that is sure to find an audience somewhere. Now You See Me is a completely original film in the midst of big studio fare that has the star power, the concept, and the appeal to win over those movie-goers who aren't just looking for an escape from the real world, but from the saturated sci-fi superhero adventure genres that are playing on every other screen. That is not to say I don't enjoy those kinds of movies as well and this year has been particularly good so far in terms of summer popcorn entertainment, but simply knowing going into this film that we are up for a fun ride that takes a subject that's commonly considered nerdy, such as magic, and combines it with the formula of a heist film to create something imaginative and fresh is indeed refreshing. Though there are certainly plot holes to be picked apart once people have the ability to re-watch the film several times, upon first viewing this is nothing more than a caper of a good time that has an incredibly strong cast each member of which is doing what they do best, churning out some solid and genuine laughs while balancing the never-serious tone with a fair amount of action and mystery that is compelling and keeps you guessing until the very end.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
  50. Jun 8, 2013
    I feel like the people who keep talking about the "thin" character development don't quite understand what was trying to be done with this movie. The underdeveloped individual characters was an intentional move so you would instead see them as one entity and one force. If you don't understand that then you probably didn't get the movie as a whole and would rather like a movie that is spoonI feel like the people who keep talking about the "thin" character development don't quite understand what was trying to be done with this movie. The underdeveloped individual characters was an intentional move so you would instead see them as one entity and one force. If you don't understand that then you probably didn't get the movie as a whole and would rather like a movie that is spoon fed to you rather than one that makes you think. Most things were wrapped up at the end...if you followed the movie closely. This was a great film...kudos to the actors for great performances. Clever concept, original idea. Go see it but don't waste your time comparing this to other films like The Prestige. It's like watching Life of Pi and comparing it to Titanic because hey, they both have sinking ships. Just go and enjoy the ride. Expand
  51. Jun 9, 2013
    good movie watch it good movie watch it good movie watch it good movie watch it good movie watch it good movie watch it what more can I say
  52. Jun 16, 2013
    The movie was smart the plot great, it was a combination of action and comedy and fantasy with a great result. I had to think twice the ending but it was a good one too. Really liked Isla Fisher. The movie in general is good and I think it's great for the cinema. Thumbs up
  53. Jun 18, 2013
    If you were actually paying attention the movie, you probably saw that twist coming from a mile away. Despite how predictable the ending was, the witty dialogue throughout the movie was enough to make me feel good about buying the ticket. This was Woody Harrelson's best performance in a long time. The interactions between him and Eisenberg had me laughing the whole time. The humor in thisIf you were actually paying attention the movie, you probably saw that twist coming from a mile away. Despite how predictable the ending was, the witty dialogue throughout the movie was enough to make me feel good about buying the ticket. This was Woody Harrelson's best performance in a long time. The interactions between him and Eisenberg had me laughing the whole time. The humor in this movie should be enough to make up for how predictable the ending was. Expand
  54. Jun 11, 2013
    I enjoyed the concept of the movie. However, I was hoping they would touch on the little things like the handcuffs, flying scarfs, and so on. I understand the point of the movie but more should have been put into explaining. By the time (over 3/4 way in) they started explaining the movie, however, they (the production team) confused me. Magic or real?

Director of Photography Mitchell

Director of Photography Mitchell Amundsen must have taken over the photography. I could tell it was him right away, circles around everything!!!! GRRR. It gives me headaches.

I do enjoy movies that keep me at the edge of my seat. WAY TO GO!!! It kept me on the edge the whole time. HOWEVER, the ending was left pretty wide open in my opinion. A possible sequel?
  55. Jun 12, 2013
    This movie deserves a round of applause. Its intricate, complicated plot and spectacular cast won me over moments into the film. Every single moment I thought I was completely on board with the plot, the following seconds had me second guessing. This film is definitely a favorite of mine. Well done!
  56. Jun 12, 2013
    "Now You See Me" is a good magic movie. When Morgan Freeman explains the magic tricks it takes a while to understand, but I liked the twist at the end. You kinda say to yourself I knew it! The heist they The Four Horse Men) performed was interesting and fun to figure out how they did it. At times it was hard to keep track with the movie, then your back in track with it. That was my only"Now You See Me" is a good magic movie. When Morgan Freeman explains the magic tricks it takes a while to understand, but I liked the twist at the end. You kinda say to yourself I knew it! The heist they The Four Horse Men) performed was interesting and fun to figure out how they did it. At times it was hard to keep track with the movie, then your back in track with it. That was my only problem with movie mostly. Overall i give it an 7 out of 10. The movie was really fun throughout though. Expand
  57. Jun 14, 2013
    It is what you'd expect it to be. An entertaining film without anything profound. I didn't go into it expecting Shawshank Redemption-level movie-making and I was entertained as a result.
  58. Jun 16, 2013
    Not the best movie on magic and heists, but not the worst either. Its extremely polished (great cinematography, music, art direction and special effects), very good acting (you can't go wrong with such a cast Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine are stalwarts, Ruffalo is dependably good, and Isla Fisher looks mesmerising), and a good premise. However, the story/screenplay is where the movieNot the best movie on magic and heists, but not the worst either. Its extremely polished (great cinematography, music, art direction and special effects), very good acting (you can't go wrong with such a cast Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine are stalwarts, Ruffalo is dependably good, and Isla Fisher looks mesmerising), and a good premise. However, the story/screenplay is where the movie takes a hit. Its not very convincing or captivating. It doesn't build the characters after introducing them. Doesn't show how they prepare for each act and how they work as a team except for some friendly banter now and then. And the final twist is not explained properly as to how he planned and executed this whole thing. Hence it leaves you wanting for more! Expand
  59. Jul 23, 2013
    This movie is not good. The preview is twice the production the movie is. There is no character building, and you are instantly thrust into this story that does not pan out. Do not waste your time.
  60. Aug 21, 2013
    "All flash and no trousers" A weird saying, but who's Father isn't full of oddness? Mine certainly was and he used this expression regularly when something was, basically, bollocks. Now You See Me falls in to this category. Cool cast, flashy effects, great locations, mixed with a predictable story line, average script and some truly wooden performances Dave Franco, I'm looking at"All flash and no trousers" A weird saying, but who's Father isn't full of oddness? Mine certainly was and he used this expression regularly when something was, basically, bollocks. Now You See Me falls in to this category. Cool cast, flashy effects, great locations, mixed with a predictable story line, average script and some truly wooden performances Dave Franco, I'm looking at you.

It's mindless entertainment for the masses. Avoid paying cinema ticket price, perhaps watch for free when it hits your PTV provider; provided you are fully up to date with your TV series viewing....
  61. Nov 1, 2013
    The movies plot really is extremely convenient, with it's story tied to random chance. Various plot points and questions were still unresolved at the film's conclusion. It's confusing at times and implausible. However, if you can ignore that, you will enjoy this movie. An entertaining movie with a strange premise but two huge twists at the end. A cast that really hold this entire movieThe movies plot really is extremely convenient, with it's story tied to random chance. Various plot points and questions were still unresolved at the film's conclusion. It's confusing at times and implausible. However, if you can ignore that, you will enjoy this movie. An entertaining movie with a strange premise but two huge twists at the end. A cast that really hold this entire movie up, and very well too. Liked the magic and action. You really must see this movie.
    And whether you like it or not, a sequel is being planned!

If you liked this review, read my other ones by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts!
  62. Nov 29, 2013
    Although it suffers from a flat ending and can't help feel fictional, Now You See Me provides great visuals and some smart twists (not the last one!) to succeed.
  63. Feb 19, 2014
    Entirely subpar in every aspect. The story is a weak heist meets Robin Hood, meets magic mix, and the magic is meant to be illusions. The plot annoyingly relies on shear luck to get through any situations, although the 8/10 cast, try as they might cant bring this movie up from its score,

4/10 its a little below average, due to the twist that makes most of the story pointless and uninteresting story throughout.
  64. Sep 12, 2013
    Great movie. I didn't go in expecting very much, and it pleasantly surprised me. The actors are top-notch and the story-line is very interesting (even though, at times, very predictable). The only big minus would be that they didn't focus more on the magicians. I would've loved to see more interactions and more situations between them. Overall, a very good movie!
  65. Sep 25, 2013
    A very enjoyable film that rests more on movie magic more than believable world-stage showcases in which Now You See Me spends most of its time focusing on. Still, Now You See Me hits a certain chord that resonates quite well with a plot that actually ends up being interesting instead of hollow and pointless, which could have easily been the case. It's the Prestige with more flash but aA very enjoyable film that rests more on movie magic more than believable world-stage showcases in which Now You See Me spends most of its time focusing on. Still, Now You See Me hits a certain chord that resonates quite well with a plot that actually ends up being interesting instead of hollow and pointless, which could have easily been the case. It's the Prestige with more flash but a bit less substance. Even so, it's easy to argue that just because it's not always perfect, doesn't mean you still can't have a lot of fun. The cast and lights draw you in and the pacing is swift enough to not make you feel like you need additional character development. I loved Now You See Me, and many others will too. Expand
  66. Sep 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a decently rewarding film–the final reveal is somewhat surprising and there are numerous scenes with very pretty cinematography. That being said, it is cheapened by two things: the unnecessary use of CGI in certain acts, and the romance forced upon the audience. While it is somewhat helpful to the narrative to have the character of Alma Dray (played by Mélanie Laurent) make it appear that Dylan Rhodes (played by Mark Ruffalo) is even more incompetent/out of his league, the romance is not. The Alma Dray component could have been played by a lesbian or heterosexual male agent (the point isn't the sexuality, just that closing off the potential for the any sort of romance wouldn't have hurt the purpose of the Dray character... hell just make her faithfully married for all I care). Or if you really want, let those characters partake in a romance in the world of this story...just don't show it to the audience. The tension, the lines, and the story between the two is patently forced...to then end on that note is to illogically end on a weaker "punch" for the movie. Expand
  67. Oct 24, 2013
    Well, it had good enough twists, as well as good acting from most of the cast. However, the plot left a lot of questions unanswered or answered unclearly. It was a good movie. I was just expecting something better.
  68. Apr 27, 2014
    One of the better heist-thrillers I've seen. With an all-star cast and plenty of twists and turns this is one that I found extremely entertaining. The use of magic makes this better than it otherwise would have been. Watching the tricks play out in the scenes is awesome. A particular fight scene's use of illusions and trick is particularly impressive. There are one or two slow moments inOne of the better heist-thrillers I've seen. With an all-star cast and plenty of twists and turns this is one that I found extremely entertaining. The use of magic makes this better than it otherwise would have been. Watching the tricks play out in the scenes is awesome. A particular fight scene's use of illusions and trick is particularly impressive. There are one or two slow moments in the film, and the romance between the interpol and FBI agent is predictable and bland, but otherwise this is one awesome movie. One of the best I've watched in quite a while. I give it a 9.8/10-Amazing. Expand
  69. Aug 5, 2014
    Now You See Me is a metaphor for itself. Everything is about misdirection. All the pomp, flash and promised reveals conspire to distract you from the fact that what you're actually watching is a vacuous, emotionally hollow, absurd movie with no real point or substance.
  70. May 4, 2014
    Given the movie's cast and word of mouth, I was expecting a lot more than I got. Not a total waste of time--the two female leads are gorgeous--but not far from it, either.
  71. Jun 13, 2014
    Less then the expected. The greatest problem is about the magic. Several of them are full of computer graphics, what makes you fell like even Chris Angel could never performance that.
    But at the end, you stares at the screen with the same face that when you discover how a magic is done.
    It worth to watch, but is a little bit wearisome.
    Enjoy
  72. Sep 15, 2013
    Horrid. Its ccomes across as an arrogant movie which one is supposed to suspend all belief in order to enjoy it. May be find for cult members but the general public dont buy it.
  73. Jul 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of those movies with a twist in the ending that just ruined the rest of the film. Regardless, it was an enjoyable movie. I was expecting the story to focus more on the Four Horsemen, but instead, most of the movie is told through the detective. (He reminds me of Detective Quentin Lance from CW's Arrow)

The twist in the end is handled poorly, and it creates lots of plot inconsistencies. It can even be fixed easily by saying that Ruffalo's character had himself hypnotised (and a trigger returned his memories) or something, which could explain his apparent ignorance. (I have a theory that Woody Harrison's character is more than who he say he is.) Also, not all the mysteries are answered; Who are the Eye? What is Rhodes' role in the organisation? Do they allow/approve of him using them for his personal vendetta? It seems like they may be setting it up for a sequel, but it may be unlikely now due to the mixed reviews. Despite that, I would love to see them have a shot to finish the story.

Enjoyable, but disappointing.
  74. Oct 12, 2013
    Now You See Me may have an interesting concept and enjoyable at times but it is a huge mess. The film comes off as overproduced; being filled with CGI (and bad CGI of course) and unrealistic scenes that viewers (who aren't already enamoured by the fact that the film is indeed performing a trick on the audience) won't believe at all. The first act comes off as egotistical and the third andNow You See Me may have an interesting concept and enjoyable at times but it is a huge mess. The film comes off as overproduced; being filled with CGI (and bad CGI of course) and unrealistic scenes that viewers (who aren't already enamoured by the fact that the film is indeed performing a trick on the audience) won't believe at all. The first act comes off as egotistical and the third and final act of the film comes off as frustratingly bad; the unnecessary "twist" ending comes off as...well, unnecessary and incredibly stupid. Like previously stated, the film's second act is the better of the acts since it is somewhat enjoyable to watch. The film is also very confused since it just cannot decide if it wants to be a comedy, an action film or a straight up crime thriller, and also it's characters are confused as well since it keeps changing the depictions of the characters themselves (for example; one moment "The Four Horseman" are anti-heroes, the other moment they are straight-up villains). Speaking of characters, "The Four Horseman" were unlikable and the law-enforcement characters were both dumb and annoying. The only good characters in the film were Morgan Freeman's and Michael Caine's character who also happen to be the best actors in the film as well, the worst actor being Mark Ruffalo, who's acting was absolutely atrocious. In the end, Now You See Me may be entertaining at times but at the end, it just plays a trick on the audience; it may look like a good film but if you look closer, it truly isn't very good. Collapse
  75. Nov 1, 2013
    This magician-fuelled attempt at being a thriller constantly reminds the viewer that while something is going on here, the real thing is going on elsewhere, a distraction if you will. Well this whole film, enjoyable yet shallow, is a constant distraction, it has a lot of flashing lights and booming music to draw the attention away from a plot that is drawn out to be very complex when, itThis magician-fuelled attempt at being a thriller constantly reminds the viewer that while something is going on here, the real thing is going on elsewhere, a distraction if you will. Well this whole film, enjoyable yet shallow, is a constant distraction, it has a lot of flashing lights and booming music to draw the attention away from a plot that is drawn out to be very complex when, it actual fact, is quite straightforward. It always makes a point of blowing every single detail out of proportion to the point where there are intentional moments to throw the viewer of a scent, a scent that is honestly not that difficult to follow. There is a star cast to back up such a colourful show, Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, Woody Harrelson and Dave Franco call themselves the Four Horsemen, we see them going about their day to day trickery as street hustlers and con artists, until they are mysteriously brought together as a collective group, Atlas is the showman and illusionist (Eisenberg), Merritt (Harrelson) is the mentalist who has quite a funny opening scene with a woman and her cheating husband, Henley (Fisher) is a beautiful escape artist while Jack (Franco) is a pickpocket and quite the entertaining fighter as well. As these four are brought together and financed by the shady Tressler (Michael Caine), they pull off a ban heist from their Las Vegas show, yet the heist happens in France, after they ‘teleported’ a man from their show to the vault of said bank. What then ensues is a race against time for the viewer, to see if they can outsmart the writers and get to the finish line of the whole plot, the illusions continue but no clear or reasonable motives ever seem to be present, the film definitely lacks in cause for these characters, particularly the role of Thaddeus (Morgan Freeman), a man who makes a living out of debunking magicians, who then decides to help out the FBI agent Rhodes (Mark Ruffalo) to bring down these magicians, only problem being they cannot figure out what their next move will be. As often impressive as the film looks and feels, it never seems anything more than just that, a nice shiny car that has no engine, it lacks the proper character direction, these four talented individuals show no real inclination of why they so desperately want to evade the police and put on a good show, no backstory whatsoever. But despite that, the talent playing them are bang on the mark in bringing a unique approach to each performance, confidence and wonderful trickery often ensues, but can get a bit long in the tooth as there is little point to a lot of it. This is certainly a flashy and in your face technique, delivered through a lot of dizzy camera movements and showmanship, yet drag it all away and there is still something worth seeing here, but it gets lost in all the glamour of trying to put on a big show, this ultimately prevents the film from being as enjoyable as it could have been, it has its thrills, but tries too hard to deliver more in the process. Expand
  76. Sep 8, 2013
    Now You See Me might have the most misleading trailers of all-time. The previews make you think that story follow the four magicians, played by Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, and Dave Franco. However, the characters with the most screen time are actually an FBI agent played by Mark Ruffalo, an interpol agent played by Melanie Laurent, and a washed up magician played byNow You See Me might have the most misleading trailers of all-time. The previews make you think that story follow the four magicians, played by Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, and Dave Franco. However, the characters with the most screen time are actually an FBI agent played by Mark Ruffalo, an interpol agent played by Melanie Laurent, and a washed up magician played by Morgan Freeman. Guess what? I didn't know any of those actors were even in the movie. The movie also didn't seem to have an identity. It constantly jumped back and forth between magic not being real and then certain things not being possible without magic. This constant uncertainty from the film's perspective created a lazy feeling in the script. As for the individual characters, Woody was hilarious, Isla was absolutely gorgeous, and Eisenberg was, well, the same character he always is. Which reminds me, can we stop calling Jesse Eisenberg a great actor? The kid plays the exact same role every single time and that's who he is in real life. He isn't "acting", he's just playing himself in different situations. Back to the movie, it had decent plot development but with so many characters involved, none of them were really fleshed out properly. Lastly, it had the typical twist in the end that's become almost cliched where it wasn't written into the story well but just forced on the viewer. All-in-all, if you want to be mildly entertained with over-the-top magic tricks and a chaotic story and then toss in a romance for no reason, this is the movie for you. Expand
  77. Aug 24, 2013
    A seriously underrated film. The acting was pretty solid through out Harrelson was hilarious, Freeman was solid, and Ruffalo was a good lead, The rest of the cast was solid as well. Incredibly entertaining movie with well done magic tricks, From start to finish I was entertained. The best part of the film however was the plot. Very well done with a twist you do not see coming at all, ItA seriously underrated film. The acting was pretty solid through out Harrelson was hilarious, Freeman was solid, and Ruffalo was a good lead, The rest of the cast was solid as well. Incredibly entertaining movie with well done magic tricks, From start to finish I was entertained. The best part of the film however was the plot. Very well done with a twist you do not see coming at all, It was a great end to the film in my opinion. I'd highly recommend. Expand
  78. Aug 25, 2013
    A movie that starts promising and quickly fizzles into nothing. The real magicians are the people behind the film, which did a very good job at distracting you from shallow characters, a movie that had zero plot and making you think you saw something great.
  79. Jun 4, 2013
    “Now You See Me” is a enjoyable popcorn flick. However, it tends to be more flash than actual substance.The concept of the film is intriguing, but it isn’t done in an all too interesting way. It’s just a fast paced film that throws a lot of stuff at you, but never truly lets you absorb what is happening. The magic show scenes are one of the highlights of the movie as it’s full of energy“Now You See Me” is a enjoyable popcorn flick. However, it tends to be more flash than actual substance.The concept of the film is intriguing, but it isn’t done in an all too interesting way. It’s just a fast paced film that throws a lot of stuff at you, but never truly lets you absorb what is happening. The magic show scenes are one of the highlights of the movie as it’s full of energy and the right amount of flash. My personal favorite moment is a fight/chase scene in the third act of the movie with Dave Franco. It’s shot well and has some really nice fight choreography.

My biggest gripe with the film is the cinematography and editing. The camera is always moving, either rotating around actors as they talk or around the scenery. It’s hard to focus and at times I became nauseated. Editing in the film is incredibly quick, which takes away from taking in some of these elaborate shots. On a positive note, it does get more tamed as the movie progresses mainly in the third act.

The cast is fine, but only two characters really stand out. Not that everyone else is giving a bad performance, but the characters they play lack substance or any really good one liners. The best characters are Woody Harrelson’s and Mark Ruffalo’s. Harrelson’s character has the best lines and the best moments. He’s funny, charismatic, and at the same time wise. Ruffalo’s character is the most developed and intriguing. He’s an FBI agent, who seems to have luck always against him and we can’t help, but cheer for him. The rest of the cast is either throw away, like Isla Fisher and Dave Franco, or interesting, but underdeveloped, like Jesse Eisenberg and Morgan Freeman.

Overall, “Now You See Me” is an enjoyable film that chooses flash over substance. Characters are mainly paper thin as they’re underdeveloped or pushed to the side aside from Ruffalo and Harrelson. The film has a nice soundtrack that gives it the right amount of energy. However, the dizzying camera work and rapid editing make it really hard to be absorbed into the story. I give it 2.5/5, an enjoyable film that doesn’t always engage with it’s high concept and original story.
  80. Sep 26, 2013
    The idea was pretty neat and some things were funny I guess, but this movie was bad. It was pretty much all a big buildup to a totally arbitrary plot twist, and that's one of the worst things I can think of in writing anything. The final resolution of the plot was... I don't know, it felt bland... as bland as the whole "Eye" (sub?)plot and the character of the detective which didn't makeThe idea was pretty neat and some things were funny I guess, but this movie was bad. It was pretty much all a big buildup to a totally arbitrary plot twist, and that's one of the worst things I can think of in writing anything. The final resolution of the plot was... I don't know, it felt bland... as bland as the whole "Eye" (sub?)plot and the character of the detective which didn't make much sense in any of its doings in the plot. I would also dare say that it had little to do with magicians... but I guess I couldn't expect explaining tricks/making plausible ones while still making them really interesting from a mainstream movie, and I guess "magicians" played this way is fine too, but... meh. It was entertaining as a light-entertainment action movie I guess, but other than that it was all a big waste of a good basis for a plot and a good cast. Expand
  81. Jul 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh how convenient, the "inside guy" was running the whole investigation the entire time. Yeah you really tricked the audience there, haha that was a great trick. And Morgan Freeman finally gets stumped by the tricky plot, so no freckle this time. Expand
  82. Jul 5, 2013
    If you go to the movies to be entertained, then ignore the critic's reviews. For some reason, they think movies must have some deep underlying impact on society or mankind, otherwise they are not worth viewing. I on the other hand watch movies to be entertained.....and this movie does exactly that. Although there are likely no oscar nominations here, the pace is fast, there is a lot ofIf you go to the movies to be entertained, then ignore the critic's reviews. For some reason, they think movies must have some deep underlying impact on society or mankind, otherwise they are not worth viewing. I on the other hand watch movies to be entertained.....and this movie does exactly that. Although there are likely no oscar nominations here, the pace is fast, there is a lot of action and the script keeps you guessing. What more could you want? As further validity to my conviction, notice that 43 or the top 45 most helpful user reviews are GREEN! Go see it. Expand
  83. Apr 1, 2014
    Totally entertaining and surprising. It was a perfect popcorn movie and nothing more. Great cast and just like going on an amusement ride. Of course it's not deep or meaningful -- if I wanted that, there are plenty of other films out there.
  84. Jun 22, 2013
    I liked a lot of things about this movie... I liked the story line, I liked the acting, I liked the cinematography, I liked the cast, but most of all I liked the fact that there was NO vulgar language or graphic sex scenes as seem to pervade most movies these days. It seems that the only way people communicate these days is with a lot of vulgar language.... It was so nice to set through aI liked a lot of things about this movie... I liked the story line, I liked the acting, I liked the cinematography, I liked the cast, but most of all I liked the fact that there was NO vulgar language or graphic sex scenes as seem to pervade most movies these days. It seems that the only way people communicate these days is with a lot of vulgar language.... It was so nice to set through a movie that I did not think to myself, is there any one who has enough of a vocabulary that they can write a script that contains a higher level of communication. I would categorize this movie as a type of old time classic... and give it a Bravo Expand
  85. Mar 13, 2014
    Although certainly entertaining and with a great cast Now You See Me has a multitude of problems. One of the most notable is how generally dislikable many of the characters are (especially Ruffalo's character). Also the action sequences seem a bit ridiculous considering that it's magicians that are being chased. Not to mention that the twist is idiotic and not all that surprising and itAlthough certainly entertaining and with a great cast Now You See Me has a multitude of problems. One of the most notable is how generally dislikable many of the characters are (especially Ruffalo's character). Also the action sequences seem a bit ridiculous considering that it's magicians that are being chased. Not to mention that the twist is idiotic and not all that surprising and it leads to an even less satisfying ending. That said the magic and heist scenes are well done and fun to watch. Expand
  86. Jun 28, 2013
    Now You See Me is at times an enjoyable film. The best scenes are the magic ones, which are very well done and the acting is good. But the story is subpar especially the ending. I don't think the movie is worth the charge for seeing it in theatres. I would recommend waiting till it's on demand or at redbox.
  87. Oct 8, 2013
    Good story with some twists and a slight touch of fiction, a lot of nice actors and characters. All the thing is about tricks, magic and illusions and a criminal element of epic robberies. Nice one to watch, most of the plot details are well explained.
  88. Jan 7, 2014
    I would have to agree with the average viewers score of 6.9. I know that professional reviewers think each movie needs to be like something from film school. I look for a video that is entertaining. I believe this movie is very entertaining.
  89. Jun 2, 2013
    It has its moments every so often and it does have a genuine sense of intrigue running throughout it, but "Now You See Me"s inferior character development and shoddy twists will ultimately leave you feeling cold.
  90. Nov 25, 2013
    Highly unrealistic and implausible. There were plenty of good enjoyable moments though, but I feel like if I hadn't watched it I wouldn't have missed much. Spend your time elsewhere on better movies, or read a book.
  91. Jun 12, 2013
    Now You See Me has it all, an interesting concept, a fantastic cast, cool magic tricks, stylish action sequences, and a car chase, basically anything you could want from a high(er) concept thriller, this film delivers. The third act is a bit underwhelming, but that did not change how much fun I had with this film. With that said, Now You See Me is not as brilliant as it could have been orNow You See Me has it all, an interesting concept, a fantastic cast, cool magic tricks, stylish action sequences, and a car chase, basically anything you could want from a high(er) concept thriller, this film delivers. The third act is a bit underwhelming, but that did not change how much fun I had with this film. With that said, Now You See Me is not as brilliant as it could have been or as smart as it thinks it is, but regardless, it is a lot of fun and I'd definitely recommend it. Expand
  92. Jul 3, 2013
    This movie is great! The magic is astonishing, most of it highly unrealistic however (but I don't know magic well enough). Still, this movie is crazy smart, full of action and very cool sequences. I would recommend this to anyone looking for an action/fun movie to watch. You wont regret it!
  93. Jan 3, 2014
    Founder of Facebook Jesse Eisenberg stars alongside Isla Fisher, Woody Harrelson and Dave Franco as the Four Horsemen a group of criminal magicians. Mark Ruffalo gives a brilliant performance as the Interpol agent Dylan Rhodes trying to track them down. And just to top it all off Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine star as money grabbing bastards.

Most of the cast do a good job. Following

Most of the cast do a good job. Following Zombieland Woody Harrelson and Jesse Eisenberg have obvious chemistry, some of their conversations are actually very funny. The other two horsemen Isla Fisher and Dave Franco are nothing special, but not bad. No surprise Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine are extremely entertaining especially when on screen together. But the star of the show is definitely Bruce Banner himself Mark Ruffalo. Some of his dialogue is very cheesy, so he performs the dialogue in such a good way that it doesn't bother you. Undoubtedly the strongest performance in the whole movie. It's just the way that his character was used which pisses me off.

Up until the last ten minutes all is well. The plot has been cleverly written and sort of makes sense. Most of the loose ends have been tied up, even if they have not been resolved in a very good way. Then the major twist happens and it's ****

***SPOILER ALERT***

It turns out that Mark Ruffalo's character (not The Incredible Hulk) was the mastermind behind the whole conspiracy all along. And his reasons for this are that his Dad gave him a watch the day he died. The twist felt so forced and so unrealistic that it almost the whole movie. Why would Dylan Rhodes bother leading the case trying to track down the four horsemen if he was behind it? Why didn't he tell the magicians who he was and make it all so much easier? Why did he purposely cause car accidents and possibly kill innocent people? Why did he randomly hang around at that abandoned fairground at the end of the movie? It would have been better if the movie just finished when the magicians jumped off the roof and turned into money. That would have been awesome! But instead they had to go all Oceans Eleven on us.

Overall Now You See Me is a decent movie with a brilliant plot and interesting characters, but a very disappointing and cliched twist which took the magic out of it all. (See what I did there).
  94. Aug 31, 2014
    "The more you look, the less you see." - J Daniel Atlas

What can i say,.Is a f**king nice movie.I like it!

*****************************************
  95. Apr 29, 2014
    Like hairography, camera movement is relentless to disguise the lack of innovation and originality beneath it. It features dialogue which serves only to further stereotypes and drag plot in a direction slightly resembling forwards. Were I a magician, I would make this film disappear. I am not, so it remains.
  96. Jun 4, 2013
    When I went to see this, my expectations were pretty high. A little too high though. Other than the fact that the movie had a few moments that bedazzled and amazed me, I found it to be cheesy and at times boring. In my opinion, this film was worth the price of admission but it could have been worth way more.
  97. Jun 4, 2013
    A film about magic that is more about CGI. There is a strong cast that give good performances and the chemistry is the best part of the film. Finally the finale of the film doesn't work for me.
  98. Oct 11, 2013
    This was an absolute awful movie, I know what they tried to do but my god could any movie fall any shorter from the mark, the CGI was garbage, the "Magic tricks" was just a bunch of mombo jumbo. I wish i never rented it...
  99. Oct 6, 2013
    Now You See Me was an enjoyable movie while you are watching but it leaves no lasting effects. I really enjoyed the 4 main characters and how well they worked together. The plot was actually interesting and it had some cool twist (which were kind of predictable). It's everything you want in a lazy Sunday afternoon movie on the couch.
  100. Aug 4, 2013
    A great movie with lots of surprises with some good morally ambiguous elements and characters that make you question who's right and who's wrong. The cop may be an but that's probably intentional. You could have known many of the twists were coming if you were smart, but much of it plays with your expectations. My only complaint was the 3rd magician introduced (The one that faked his ownA great movie with lots of surprises with some good morally ambiguous elements and characters that make you question who's right and who's wrong. The cop may be an but that's probably intentional. You could have known many of the twists were coming if you were smart, but much of it plays with your expectations. My only complaint was the 3rd magician introduced (The one that faked his own death) was a bit bland ad underdeveloped. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Jul 5, 2013
    Ocean’s Eleven meets The Prestige? Not quite. Starts well, ends in a heap, but in between there’s just enough splash and flash to distract from the lack of substance
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jul 5, 2013
    Overcooked, overcomplicated and underinteresting, this heist caper turns into a mess.
  3. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 6, 2013
    Much of what makes Now You See Me so entertaining — in a gaudy, disposable, Vegas act sort of way — is its ever-escalating ridiculousness.