8.1

1. Jul 17, 2013
    The acting is good the directing is good, the film is certainly funny, and the plot is engaging enough to keep up your interest, but it just feels as though there is something missing from this one.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    What a great movie this is. The Coen brothers and the rest of the production did a great job. The cinematography is spectacular (thanks to Roger Deakins), and the soundtrack is amazing, they are among the best in any film. And of course the casting was good, Clooney's character is amusing along his co-stars.
  3. Jun 16, 2013
    The Coen Brothers deliver another classic and unique comedy that explores friendship, accidental fame and a vast amount of unforgettable characters, with George Clooney, John Turturro and Tim Blake Nelson taking centre stage as three escaped convicts on the search for treasure in Depression-era America.
    As the three convicts, Ulysses Everett McGill (Clooney), Delamar O'Donnell (Nelson)
    and Pete Hogwallop (Turturro) all have their own intentions in regards to freedom, and their adventures lead them down a road of robbery, music recordings and deals with the devil, with each scene oozing with its own flare and brilliant dialogue.
    Everett is desperate for the right sort of hair wax and hairnets,while Pete and Delamar decide to get cleansed at a local baptism, they happen across an array of characters including the wonderful John Goodman who is a fast talking biblical salesman and sets his sights on the convicts. As they travel throughout the land in search for their treasure and also trying to evade the authorities, their musical fame and selection of friends may just catch up on them.
    With an excellent soundtrack and stand out performances, the film will be difficult to forget for its bizarre yet hilarious flow and its band of misfit characters who make their roles their own, Clooney shows the Coen style of his acting as this was the sort of character he played later on in 'Burn After Reading", fast, edgy but hysterical, while Turturro plays a more serious and hardened man, but Nelson is the complete opposite, seemingly a bit of a simpleton, but combined they create quite the trio, stumbling into various avenues of opportunities and luckily evading the law in surprising fashion.
    The exciting style of the Coen brothers has never been more apparent, their larger than life characters, while most are loosely based on 'Homer's Odyssey', the actor portraying them brings a sense of craze and unique quality to the role. The funniest moments of the film come from the the situations the trio get involved in, whether happening upon a bank robbery or a KKK gathering, Clooney leading the show is brilliant, his characters random bursts of knowledgeable facts are excellent.
    Excellent comedy and an unforgettable addition to the Coen Brothers filmography.
  4. Jun 2, 2013
    This film was the best.. They did so terrific on this movie and will continue to be the best till the end of time. The soundtrack is excellent. Everything in this is perfect and just the way it should be, no more and no less.... I would love to see another movie like this be released in the future and of course put alot of work into it casue this one was great and the next one would also need to be great.

I love films thats old or old and western style... Just pure excellent. 10/10
  5. Apr 9, 2013
    This movie connects from beginning to end. My husband, after viewing many times, shared with me this movie homage to "Homer the Odyssey. The actors all connect as if they were family/friends. The music was awesome. The guitar player Chris T King and his father are accomplished musicians. Pappy (Charles Durning) was nominated for two oscars. So many characters connects all to the end. "That's not my ring"... Expand
  6. Dec 8, 2012
    With the spirit of adventure these 3 prisoners made this movie one of the best comedies of all time. From collisons with police to bi-polar robbers this one hassel of a story makes this an easy classic for all to enjoy
  7. Jun 28, 2012
    " "O Brother" is less a nostalgic screwball comedy than a highly contrived satire which emphasises the cruelty and absurdity of human existence. "

... So what's the problem?

Even if you are a fan of slow paced, existential cinema - and generally avoid screwball comedies - this is worth a watch.
  8. Jan 29, 2012
    O Brother, Where Art Thou? is a beautifully filmed, hilarious, wild, amazingly original film featuring just fantastic performances from its three consistently funny leads. I give this film 61%.
  9. Oct 16, 2011
    While it may not be among the Coen Brothers' finest work, O Brother Where Art Thou is an intriguing and original viewing experience. It's a road movie like no other, based on the ultimate adventure story, The Odyssey. There's so much to like about the film - the plot is wacky, the soundtrack a wonderful mix of American folk, and the Great Depression-era world is inhabited by weird and wonderful characters (including George Clooney's verbally dexterous, pomade-haired scoundrel Everett - perhaps his finest on-screen role to date). The Coens give us a rollicking good time right until the end, when a silly finale and some disappointing narrative tie-ups and underwhelming character payoffs threaten to ruin our fun. As a whole though, it's a vastly entertaining film, and only a little shy of the top pantheon of Coen Brothers films. Expand
  10. Sep 30, 2011
    I don't like coming out of a viewing of a film and feeling like I enjoyed it but knowing something is missing. What makes my experience of O Brother worse is that I cannot figure out why I didn't like it as much as I should have.
    The acting as always was stellar with George Clooney giving a performance that rivals some of his finest roles (Michael Clayton, Burn after Reading and Up in the
    Air) as Ulysses Everrett Mcgill a member of a chain gang who orchestrates a prison break so he can get back to his home town so he can regain some treasure in a valley due to be flooded. The Coen Brothers provide a great script that is even more quirky than some of there previous outings (The Hudsucker Proxy). The film pretty much has everything it needs to be a good Coen Brothers film with a great supporting cast including John Goodman and Holly Hunter, a great soundtrack and beautiful landscapes (even more so than True Grit).
    However O Brother doesn't seem like an original thought (and I don't mean because it was loosely based on The Odyssey by Homer). It just seems like the Coen brothers have what they see as a working formula to there films and with this they just followed the recipe with it being very easy to compare the film to there others. Sure I liked the film but this may be the reason I didn't love it. Or perhaps I still haven't figured it out yet.
  11. May 6, 2011
    How anyone could dislike this comic odyssey is beyond me. I still have real affection for these characters, and the film as a whole is a masterpiece. One of the best Coen bros. films.
  12. Apr 16, 2011
    This may be the only movie that has ever left me seriously tempted to leave the cinema and immediately join the queue for the next show. Structurally, it is a 'road movie', though it borrows the episodic encounters with larger-than-life characters from Homer's Odyssey (including sirens and a cyclops!). But the artful combination of its photography and music with delightful story and characters makes this one of most bewitching and beautiful road movies ever made.

The critics seem to find it shallow, though I struggle to understand why. In addition to being genuinely funny and centred upon rich characters, the story includes a fair weight of political satire and a sprinkling of the Coens' strange metaphysical fascinations, with the Devil making his own cameo in the form of a lawman. If this is too shallow, I wonder what comedies the critics have been watching that are so deep?

If people are confusing depth for emotionalism, perhaps they should stick to rewatching the English Patient.

For all its originality, O Brother doesn't seem to have a point, or enough spark to distract us from the lack thereof.
    A remarkable film. From its performances on down to director of photography Roger Deakins' sun-baked, dirty-ochre cinematography, the film is all of a piece.
  3. For all its ambitions, though, the Coens' odyssey is a scattershot affair with too many tricks and twists for its own good.