7.0

1. Apr 20, 2013
    Trash, trash, trash. Tom Cruise's acting si as disjointed from real entertainment as his real life persona is from reality. The plot is weak and lacks credibility. The best science fiction is grounded in yes -science but not in this movie. The writers underscore what's wrong with American science education, They could also could use a remedial class in plot development. I hope this is the last Cruise movie we see in a while. Expand
  2. Apr 20, 2013
    This movie started out great. An interesting back-story narrated by Tom Cruise sets up the plot perfectly. The beginning drags on for quite a while, but it is a great chance to see some great CG effects. It's about the middle of the movie when things take a turn for the worse. Sci-fi fans will love this movie, but myself not being a hardcore sci-fi fan, I have to say I was disappointed. The movie throws in twists that really have no place and the ending is just awful. This movie is full of plot holes as well and it feels like watching a five hour movie, when in reality, it is only two hours long. See this movie if you want, but my recommendation is no. Expand
  3. Apr 20, 2013
    This movie is mostly a collage of concepts found in other, much better sci-fi movies. This is your average film that no one will remember this time next year, because it is boring and derivative.
  4. Apr 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tom 'bad acting' Cruise Matrix Moon Oblivion, a movie without flavor, which brings nothing to the scifi genre. It's post-apo but the hero has time to f*ck two chicks just before fight villains, obviously concluded by a happy ending. This movie stolen the name of a good game that does not deserve to be assimilated with it. Expand
  5. Apr 28, 2013
    Complete yawn fest. This movie somehow makes even explosions and fighting boring. The story, if you can even call it that, is absurdly predictable. Morgan Freeman even tells you exactly how the movie will end in the first part of the movie, then you have to sit there and watch Tom Cruise flail about with a ludicrous and unbelievable romantic plot arc for 2 hours until the movie ends exactly how you knew it was going to.

I read the bad reviews and ignored them because I thought, "How bad can it be, I enjoy scifi B movies as it is" but no, this movie really is that bad. Save your money.
  6. Apr 19, 2013
    Where does one find themselves when you have "Sexy 50 year old hunk" Tom Cruise, a good story, and a somewhat good director? You get this. Had Oblivion had someone other than Tom Cruise, better direction, and a few little tweaks in the story, you would have gotten a really great science fiction movie. Which, by the way, is really rare considering the outlook of sci-fi movies today. All CGI, little substance. Have to say Oblivion fell into that pot. A good story isn't enough to have a good movie. You got to have a really good cast, and good direction. CGI was damn near perfect. No complaints there. Its basically Film Production 101! Whoever, at Universal Pictures, decided on what goes in the trailer, failed and pretty much did false advertising. Morgan Freeman was in the several trailers there are in the film out there. The one scene you see with him in the trailer is practically his whole part in the movie. 4 maybe 5 lines of dialogue and goodbye Mr. Freeman! This movie just wasn't believable. Extremely corny at times. Very weak. And Tom Cruise... Keep your shirt on pal. You're 50. You may still be in great shape, but you take away from the movie. Essentially, Oblivion felt like 2013 just with a destroyed America. What can you really take away from this movie? It was a technological advancement and achievement that we have not witnessed in movies since maybe Star Wars (prequels). Expand
  7. Apr 21, 2013
    If more proof were needed that Hollywood has rejected plot and characterisation in favour of style then go buy a ticket for Oblivion. A soul-less, emotionless two hour snorefest. How many more times is Tom Cruise going to play a character called Jack? How many more times is he going to play the same computer generated action hero? Truly dire.
  8. Apr 21, 2013
    This has to be Cruise's and Freeman's worst attempt at a movie. I cannot believe the thin yet somewhat confusing plot line they contributed to. While the acting overall was good, the characters and plot was weak. The trailer tells 90% of the story in 2 minutes that it took 2 hours and 6 minutes to retell in the full length epic. Hopefully both Cruise and Freeman will actually read their next script before signing the contracts! $130 million that could have been put together for a made for TV for a mere $1/2 million (assuming the actors were compensated at TV rates). Expand
  9. Apr 21, 2013
    It's Cruise, Cruise, Cruise, Cruise......everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Apr 24, 2013
    Oblivion was a title i had a particular interest in when i saw the trailers, especially with morgan freeman having what appeared to be an interesting character.
    unfortunately...it fails to deliver in every aspect that a movie needs.

Oblivion is set in almost 70 years in the future after earth has been invaded, and after the war was won, earth was left ravaged causing everyone to leave
    to a colony on titan (one of Saturn's moons)
    which had a great concept behind it, unfortunately the movie fails to capitalize on it, or even execute that story. the story takes backtracks, and then immediately changes gears for no good reason.

i've seen many people praise the twists this movie presents, however they are not as "gasp omg" as some would have you think. every twist is heavily foreshadowed at least 20 minutes before they happen. i was able to predict just about everything in this movie, without issues. and here is another problem we have. because of the movie's attempts to cash in on twists and well-known cast, the movie fails to connect the dots. no event makes sense in this film. i will not spoil details, but you should know that containment capsules don't come from tom cruise's and children aren't born because a clone happens to be on the planet and not meet the mother until after the child is born.

now we delve into the characters...there aren't any. if there are, the movie once again fails to capitalize. jack harper's back-story is manipulated in every way possible throughout the movie' and meanwhile everyone else's back-story is ignored, considered irrelevant over jack harper's character. they have little to no dialogue, and when they talk it's in cliche format. morgan's character can be estimated to be that of a wise-man set to stop gratuitous fighting on what's left of earth.

unfortunately once again, he has little to no dialogue, and the best part beyond that is that most of the characters you won't even get to see until the last 15 minutes of the film.

and now i proceed onto the setting of the film.
    people have praised the visuals to no end, but what many are failing to see, is that the visuals are more given to what's not on the ground. tom cruise's suit looks like a mix between a biker suit, and softball base plates. the world is barren and undetailed. every structure is grey and hints of rust for the metal. the drones and non-earth structures; such as the tent, are admittedly visually pleasing. but these aspects play very little into the movie, as for the most part, jack is on the ground and doesn't see the drones or sophisticated machines. so it looks barren and plain..

the more i watched of this film, the lower i felt the need to rate it, it is garbage. i severely advise you not to see this film, it is 25 dollars best spent on another film.
  11. Apr 30, 2013
    Once again Hollywood spends all their money on effects and ignores the script. The result? A poor story that fails to grab, meandering scenes that go no where and the usual collection of cheesy lines. I dry reached when he said he was 'home'. Hollywood seriously needs to grow up!
  12. Apr 29, 2013
    This is probably one of the worst science- fiction movies I have ever seen! Besides the good acting, it was confusing, boring, and just plain stupid! Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman are the only things about this movie that I actually liked. But trust me, their acting can't save this stinker.
  13. Apr 19, 2013
    Good acting, direction, graphics, action. What brought the score down to 4 was the story line It was convoluted, not credible, and weak. A bad story line in a 2 hour movie made it seem 3 hours. Plenty of action lost on an impossible to follow story.
  14. May 9, 2013
    nne of the most narcissistic films I have seen in years. tom cruise and the woman are the only subjects throughout the film. this is boring,no plot,a total yawn and have no idea what it was supposed to mean. you will hate yourself if you go to this drawn out plot less movie! I kept waiting for some story line to surface and it never did. I would urge everyone to stay home and watch advertisements on your tv,it would be better! Expand
  15. Apr 23, 2013
    if it wasn't for the overall look, this movie would be a way worse score. the plot takes a huge dive. there are so many questions that are asked, but never really answered to the fullest, and the over all feel is just weak. the visuals are great, but the story just drags on to a unsatisfactory conclusion.
  16. Apr 19, 2013
    This film was completely spoiled for me when Cruise takes his shirt off in the swimming pool in one swing. I find this totally unbelievable, I have tried this dozens of times and it is really hard to take off a t-shirt when it is that wet, and I often struggle for several minutes. I am giving it 1 only because Jaime Lannister and God were fighting it out on the same side.
  17. Apr 20, 2013
    Oh no not another special effects laden film They are the star of the show. Tom Cruise's acting is flat. Perhaps because at 51 his days of playing Top Gun or Mission Impossible roles are behind. I've never found him to have much breadth as an actor, but in the past who he really was at the time has been more consistent with the needs of the roles he played as in Jerry McGuire and Rain Man. We all grow up hopefully. He hasn't adapted Expand
  18. Apr 29, 2013
    Great until the "twist" then descends into very lazy, highly clichéd, heavily borrowed story telling. It does look great, the sound production is excellent which is the part I enjoyed the very most, but that is not a great compliment to the story when you think about it. The visuals very much reminded me of parts of Tron:Legacy in places. I felt immediately disappointed by the clumsy first twist, why do these films try to justify themselves with pointless twists? A straight forwards story would in my opinion have worked far better.

Heavily borrows from the by far more classy and atmospheric "Moon". What a shame, I can't help thinking that a much better version was created and then dumbed down by executives that know better. Acting was ok, Morgan was very much surplus to requirements and his character could've been played by anyone, in fact it may have been more plausible if an utter unknown was used, that's not to say that Morgan is bad, it's just that the writing was rather ham-fisted rendering poor Morgan somewhat pedestrian.
  19. Jul 11, 2013
    This movie fell so flat its not even funny! It had horrible acting, a boring plot and characters that no one even cares about. Don't waste your money on this movie!
  20. Oct 18, 2013
    One of the worst science-fiction movies of all time. It's dull and uninteresting to the very end. I didn't care once about anything that was going on and couldn't wait for this movie to end. The only good thing about this movie is how good it looks. Truly these are some spectacular special effects. Unfortunately outstanding visual effects amount to nothing when the movie is garbage.

The
    characters and plot are boring and dumb. The latter being filled with cliches and over-used plot threads that have been done time and time again in science fiction movies. The characters are lifeless and unlikable, the worst offender being Tom Cruise's character "Jack". When he's not being completely dull and moronic, he's tossing out groan inducing one-liners like "Yeah, well you should see the other guy". I wanted to see him get shot so badly.

So the plot and characters are unbearable, and unfortunately so is the action and romance. This is a completely terrible film. One of the worst I've ever seen. I don't recommend this movie in the least. "Oblivion" should be cast into oblivion.
  21. Apr 23, 2013
    It's not all bad, the scenery and special effects were excellent, as were the two female Costars. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the Danish actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who did a good job as a sidekick to Morgan Freeman and has gained recent notoriety in the Game of Thrones show.
    The bad was that of course we've seen this post-apocalyptic plot regurgitated so many times in a few
    weeks you will have trouble remembering what stood out about this film.
    Finally, the really ugly is Hollywood's continuous insult to our intelligence when casting lead actors. America is so deeply weary of being reminded Tom Cruise is the most amazing man in the universe... Note to Hollywood: please give Cruise a rest.
  22. Jun 3, 2013
    well its kind of hard to see movies with very few actors in them, this one had very few people. the story line was lacking i taught it was a waste of time.
  23. Apr 28, 2013
    This film was flawed in a lot of ways. Lots of effects, lots of irrational premises, poor casting, dumb story not well-told. Since AMC doesn't refund money for poor film-making, I sat through it.
    I usually like Tom Cruise movies, but this was one where I actually hoped he'd kill himself.
  24. Feb 25, 2014
    Great cinematography and special effects, but those things don't save movies from bad scripts and bobble-heads named Bob. Nor do they save them from bobble-heads named Cruise - Even if he does play a better future man, that he does a Hollywood actor. By the way, in my future, douches won't get to call themselves Cruise, or Edge, or Sting.
  25. Jun 4, 2013
    "Oblivion is no question a visual marvel and features Tom Cruise at his best. But sadly that gets clouded by its overwhelming and confusing plot while all the same running too long and it fails to capture or retain your attention after about the hour mark." C
  26. Jun 9, 2013
    How slow and redundant can you get for the first 90% and then a solid ending. Was it worth it? No. It has the ending that you wish Star Trek would have had. But sitting through exposition that takes an hour violates everything a audience expects.
  27. Aug 4, 2013
    The definition of "oblivion" is: "the state of being unaware or unconscious of what is happening". It's a blissful state in which the writers of Oblivion must have spent most of their time, and which explains the movie's plot holes, ridiculous dialogues, and badly told story. Only pro: Tom Cruise's flying vehicle sometimes moves beautifully, contrary to the director's camera work which is just banal, cold, and misses any opportunity he might've had to save such a bad script. Expand
  28. Jan 14, 2014
    With a slow plot loosely held together by lukewarm tension and mediocre acting, Oblivion is a very weak film. Tom Cruise reprises the role he has played for most of his career (that of the cardboard cut-out action hero), and struggles to command much presence as he drags the audience through a short series of plot twists that are either predictable or nonsensical.
    It scores points for its
    undeniably impressive visuals and set pieces while Morgan Freeman adds some much needed charisma but sadly it isn't enough to make me call this film good. The whole thing is a very drawn out underwhelming experience. Expand
  29. Aug 3, 2013
    Another movie that starts off promising with its solid story and good visuals, but then crashes and burns. Not only is it difficult to follow, it is so uninteresting.
  30. Sep 25, 2013
    Boring, confusing, I feel like we've seen this movie before. The story get lost beneath the style and effects and Cruise proves that he only has one character left in his aging repertoire.
  31. Apr 23, 2013
    Story has been told before and better in a number of movies. Non original script, plastic characters, boring development. If not for the amazing set pieces and the few action scenes that are done well this would have been a disaster of a film.
  32. May 5, 2013
    Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible
  33. Sep 27, 2013
    Oblivion es un desastre que quiere expresar buenas cosas al final despues de un espantoso comienzo sin embargo el remedio no fue suficiente para la muerte en su totalidad de la pelicula es muy aburrida con cosas que caen muy bajo en grandes actuaciones como la de Tom Cruise
  34. May 24, 2013
    I hate Tom Cruise, I really do. He is one of the worst actors ever and is annoyingly pretentious. His acting is drier than a rattlesnake's vagina and can not emote worth a in mind I gave Oblivion a shot and like Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion it was a huge waste of time. Where do I start? The story tries to be inventive, but just ends up being predictable. There are two main "plot twist" in the movie that is so obvious I guessed they would happen a 10 mins. You know what I hate? Blatant exposition which this movie has a of. Oh! And that ending, is You know how a good movie would wrap all loose ends or hell if they are just being money grubbing whores sequel-bait? This movie instead end the movie with lazy exposition. Let's not forget this movie is filled with plot-holes and I mean FILLED!!! My friends who dragged me to this said it was a There is a difference between a movie that causes you to really think and a movie that lazily throws away plot-lines; this being the latter. Btw there were a lot of things that happened for no reason other than the plot said so(I said bull**** so many times). What about the actors? As much as I want to solely blame Cruise, I can't, because they are all terrible! Even(sniff) even Morgan Freeman. I can't find one actor who did a good job. They really made the experience worse. If one of them died I couldn't be bothered to care cause they didn't get me emotionally invested. "Oh, what's-her-face died?" Boo freaking Hoo. The effects? Hit or miss. While the buildings; vehicles and those awesome guns were top-notch, the droids looked like the personality spheres from Portal and the green screen effect was among the worst I've seen in recent memory. The action was pretty good too I must admit, but then we're again back to those bull**** moments. If there is anything I can give homage to is the musical score which is done by French electronic/shoegaze band M83. This was definitely done with care as every note mixes with the moment bringing emotion that unfortunately the actors can't bring their selves. With that said the final score for me is a 4/10. Have you ever went into an area for two hours and after your stay there was over you left wondering what you did for two hours? Well that is this movie in a nutshell and why does my wallet feel lighter? Expand
  35. May 8, 2013
    I joined metacritic just so I could write this review. This was possibly the one of the worst movies I have ever seen--boring, disjointed. Technologically, it was good, but the movie and the plot were bad, bad, bad.
  36. Jul 26, 2013
    I expected more and I was disappointed. The story and visuals are ok but it can't compensate for the bad acting. Tom Cruise can't even manage the right facial expression for "No!" and "What?!". Watch this late at night and it will improve your chances of falling asleep.
  37. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So what mainly happens in this movie is a robot alien that looks like a triangle kidnaps 2 astronauts and multiplies them thousands of times erases their memory and makes them believe they fight to save humanity... one of the clones meets his wife and he remembers... obviously he than sacrifices himself and saves the world... but don't worry the poor lady has 1000 other clones to be with so it's not really a loss...

I give it 3 points for the super awesome landscapes there... it's really nice and cool the portrayal of the post apocalyptic world...still... the movie it overrated...
  38. Aug 6, 2013
    I was board throw the hole movie! You are waiting more than half of the movie for something to happen. And bad pilot too. The movies used to be good but now every one tries to spice up movies and they suck.
  39. Aug 12, 2013
    the special effects were good but it lacks depth in the story and the script is weak Tom cruises performance was good rather than that the movie is just a waste of time.
  40. Aug 22, 2013
    This movie...just was not good. Sure, the special effects were great, but that doesn't hold the movie up. The plot, the acting and the actors hold the movie up. Tom Cruise's acting was just bad. Morgan Freeman should not have been in this movie. The plot's full of holes, it takes twists that don't make sense or don't help with the plot in any way. This was disappointing, purely and simply.
  41. Aug 25, 2013
    I like the idea
    this movie is my type of moivie
    I like movies
    that have very few characters
    set in ghost town
    quiet, not many action

I liked the robots,
    robots battle, chase scenes

but really, it was boring
    Morgan Freeman and his allies characters
    Tom Cruise 2 was a very boring character.
    there were no villains.

really boring movie.
  42. Feb 12, 2014
    Oblivion: One of the most boring films of 2013. The best thing about the film were its visuals, the movie actually looks very pretty in terms of visual effects even though most of the movie is set in a wasteland earth. Everything else though is absolute garbage, the story is so crap that a 6th grader could have written it and none of the characters were likeable at all. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman do what they can with the roles they have been given, but they end up being ok amongst all the other stiff characters. To put it nicely, Oblivion is a boring, pretty and awful movie. Expand
  43. Jan 16, 2014
    I opened a metacritic account just to come here and vent a little about this movie, which I just finished watching. To put it subtly, "Oblivion" was a steaming pile of horse manure, not unlike that which was dumped today in front of the French parliament building. These Scientologist creeps need to quit making post-apocalyptic heaps of dung like "Oblivion" and "After Earth", which I didn't even see and won't now that I've lost two hours of my life to the husk of an actor that was Tom Cruise and his pair of helpless, flat leading ladies. Good thing men are always around to save the useless women in this movie! Women do NOTHING but sit by helplessly until at one point one of them picks up a gun and in spite of being a military-trained flight officer, fumbles with it and finally requires a penis to come save her. I guess by saying the premise of this movie is STUPID I'm also saying that Scientology is stupid, so there: go ahead and watch "Oblivion" if you think you're going to live forever and have the hours to spare, because you'll NEVER get that time back. Expand
  44. Mar 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the worst movie I've ever seen. The only reason I saw this movie was because I saw that Morgan Freeman was in it and I was like "Hey Morgan Freeman's in it it couldn't possibly suck really bad" yet it definitely did. My main (emphasis on "main" meaning definitely not limited to) problem with this disgrace of-a-movie is that it makes no sense. I don't know if one can message me on Meta critic but if you can could someone please attempt to explain this movie to me. This is me at the movie:

So there's a guy and he's like a clone i guess? Wait what? Who? How? When? Where? I went to the movie with my mom and it took our brainpower together about 2 days to sort of figure out what this movie was about.
  45. Jul 24, 2014
    Okay so you've Morgan Freeman on board for your film project, AND HE'S BORING, OR HE'S BORED, PROBABLY BOTH!

Any questions?

There's this thing called a script...okay..and what you do is MATURE AND CURE THE SCRIPT SO MORGAN F'N FREEMAN IS NOT BORING!!!!

1. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 11, 2013
    Oblivion is a special effects extravaganza with a lot of blatant symbolism and very little meaning. It starts slow, turns dull and then becomes tedious — which makes it a marginal improvement over the earlier film. It features shiny surfaces, clicky machinery and no recognizable human behavior. It's equally ambitious and gormless.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 22, 2013
    In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yet Oblivion is worth the trip. There are two reasons for this. The first is the cinematography of Claudio Miranda.