Oblivion

7.0

1. Apr 19, 2013
    While the premise and some factors of the movie may seem underwhelming going in, Oblivion not only delivers, but makes for an enjoyable and smart sci-fi movie well worth the price of admission. The scale of the movie is excellent, set pieces are huge and memorable, the visual feel is tremendous and helps create a genuine atmosphere. With that, the soundtrack by M83 is engrossing andWhile the premise and some factors of the movie may seem underwhelming going in, Oblivion not only delivers, but makes for an enjoyable and smart sci-fi movie well worth the price of admission. The scale of the movie is excellent, set pieces are huge and memorable, the visual feel is tremendous and helps create a genuine atmosphere. With that, the soundtrack by M83 is engrossing and excellent. Tom Cruise plays a solid main role, that didn't sell me at first but did later on, his scenes with Andrea Riseborough are among the best of the film. Add in some unexpected and truly great twists, and I'm happily surprised with this movie and it turns from what I'd expected to be a good movie, to a great one. Expand
  2. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion is a rare beast, at least for Hollywood, it's actually a real science fiction film. While most sci-fi movies are basically guns in space, or other genres wrapped up in futuristic glitter, Oblivion wears it's sci-fi credentials proudly. It's hardly perfect, it's a bit too long, has 3 endings and borrows liberally from a number of familiar genre elements, but it weaves them togetherOblivion is a rare beast, at least for Hollywood, it's actually a real science fiction film. While most sci-fi movies are basically guns in space, or other genres wrapped up in futuristic glitter, Oblivion wears it's sci-fi credentials proudly. It's hardly perfect, it's a bit too long, has 3 endings and borrows liberally from a number of familiar genre elements, but it weaves them together into an enjoyable mystery with beautiful scenery and some impressive set pieces. Expand
  3. Apr 20, 2013
    While the movie seems like a mixture of several different science fiction films, it is not fair to say it is unoriginal but it is more of a respectful throw back to the science fiction films of the 1970s. It has some spectacular action, some great concepts, and always beautiful imagery. It's not only worth checking out, its worth seeing, telling your friends about it and then seeing it again!
  4. Jul 24, 2013
    Why didn't i see this in theaters? Probably because it wasn't a sequel or remake. This is by far one of the best original sci-fi movies i have seen in a long time.
  5. May 1, 2013
    An enjoyable sci-fi film, but very derivative and a little antiseptic from an emotional standpoint. The cinematography was absolutely stunning, and the score is gorgeous (a bit like late-period Kubrik scores). Movie fans should probably see this movie for these two aspects alone. As for the story, the basic premise is interesting and believable, but a lot of the touches (like the kidAn enjoyable sci-fi film, but very derivative and a little antiseptic from an emotional standpoint. The cinematography was absolutely stunning, and the score is gorgeous (a bit like late-period Kubrik scores). Movie fans should probably see this movie for these two aspects alone. As for the story, the basic premise is interesting and believable, but a lot of the touches (like the kid at the end) do not make much sense and really don't contribute to the overall story line or movie quality. And the twist...well, it's been done...and I'll leave it at that.

With a better director and some script editing, this could have been a masterpiece. As it stands, it is a decent movie with stunning visuals and soundtrack.
  6. May 13, 2013
    Without really being exceptionally amazing, I still found this movie pretty decent. It certainly did appear to borrow ideas from a lot of my other favorite sci-fi movies, and it didn't always execute the ideas as well as the other films did. Forgiving that, I still had a fun time.
  7. May 16, 2013
    While Oblivion is perhaps the worst film I have seen this year thus far, it is still enjoyable and presents us a competent Sci-fi story that feels like it has been pulled from the 1970s full of twists and turns. Sometimes the film feels like its trying to be smarter than it is however, and I have never been too fond of Tom Cruise as an actor. My main complaint of the film however, is thatWhile Oblivion is perhaps the worst film I have seen this year thus far, it is still enjoyable and presents us a competent Sci-fi story that feels like it has been pulled from the 1970s full of twists and turns. Sometimes the film feels like its trying to be smarter than it is however, and I have never been too fond of Tom Cruise as an actor. My main complaint of the film however, is that the cinematography at times feels too false and feels like a television programme, while this likely will not be a problem for most people, it cheapened the feel of the film for me and kind of took me out of the experience. The effects are great and you do at least feel something for at least some of the characters throughout the film, although at times it feels like it is just going through the motions. All in all however, the film is enjoyable and the storyline is actually good and makes you think to some extent. Decent, 69/100. Expand
  8. Apr 27, 2013
    Oblivion is not one of the worst films of the year but it's not great either. The key thing about it is that it doesn't offer anything new as the director Joseph Kosinski said it pays homage to science-fiction films of 1970s. You will say, "Oh, I've seen it before!" a lot while watching it. Another problem is the pace of the film, which is extremely slow at the beginning. The plot takes aOblivion is not one of the worst films of the year but it's not great either. The key thing about it is that it doesn't offer anything new as the director Joseph Kosinski said it pays homage to science-fiction films of 1970s. You will say, "Oh, I've seen it before!" a lot while watching it. Another problem is the pace of the film, which is extremely slow at the beginning. The plot takes a lot of time to take-off and that's how I found it boring but I forgot it eventually because the final 30-45 minutes of film are good. What's different about it is that it still manages to entertain you a little because it may not be original but the visual experience it gives you is astonishing, especially with Kosinski's vision and the better production value, it feels like the remixed version of all the sci-fi films released in the past. The best things about this film are its landscapes, the brilliant cinematography by none other than Claudio Miranda and the background score by M83 which is extremely wonderful. I am only disappointed because the main theme could've made it much better and a bigger film but that didn't happen. Acting wise, it's alright. Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman (I wanted to see more of him), Andrea Riseborough, Olga Kurylenko, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Melissa Leo, all of them are good at their roles. In short, the movie didn't waste my time but I can't rate it better than this because Kosinski didn't do justice to it. Expand
  9. Jan 12, 2014
    First of all - did anyone notice that 90% of movie plot is a copy from Moon 2112 movie with Sam Rockwell? Same theme - alone in the abandoned world, clones theme, the only friend. Ok, miss Kurilenko makes some difference. But movie itself is good, if I didnt see Moon 2112 I would probably give it at least 8 from 10.
  10. Apr 28, 2013
    It was good but forgettable. almost everything that was good with it counteracted with a flaw. It did get boring in some.parts, but it did keep u on the edge of your seat and.keeps you guessing and not knowing til end
    like i said it was a good movie with some drawbacks but its nor something ill remember in 10 years like avatar. 7.5/10
  11. Aug 18, 2013
    I don't understand how this movie Metascore can be only 54.
    Unoriginal? Flaws? Maybe...if you analyze this movie after having watched it. But if what you look for is entertainment, this is a great movie to watch. It may have flaws but they don't weight much on the pleasure to watch it, if you let yourself immerse in the story and the events the movie put you in.
    It works good and I am
    I don't understand how this movie Metascore can be only 54.
    It works good and I am sorry I missed it at the cinema.
  12. Jun 1, 2013
    This movie is absolutely amazing, the setting, the effects, the story, acting and the soundtracks are just AMAZING. You should definitely check this movie out, you won't regret it!
  13. Jun 2, 2013
    Oblivion is an incredible movie. Not only are the visuals stunning, but the story is beautiful and all the plot-lines are tied up by the end of the movie. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman play their parts excellently, and the soundtrack is a masterpiece. Would highly recommend to anyone, especially fans of 70's and modern science fiction.
  14. Jul 4, 2013
    Many people have addressed that the film seems almost, “routine" in a sense, because many of the themes portrayed in the film are reminiscent to those from other films before it. However, these criticisms go very far and completely state that “there is nothing special about this film, it’s a blatant rip off of hundreds of sci-fi films before it." I have to disagree.

There is much to

There is much to love about oblivion, in fact, it’s first half has possibly some of the most creative aspects of a story and setting I've seen.
  15. Jul 21, 2013
    Oblivion is one of the best movies I've seen this year. I really enjoyed the cgi effects, story kept me curious, acting was really great, acting was awesome. If you're looking for a great Sci-Fi movie, Oblivion is the best choice.
  16. Aug 2, 2013
    I loved this movie, I was totally immersed from start to finish. I have to tip my hat to M83 for their original score as well, it says a lot about a movie when you want to buy the soundtrack after watching it. I can't say enough about this film, it is definitely a must see.
  17. Aug 9, 2013
    Don't you believe any of these young Entitlement Generation snobs. Oblivion is a great movie. Mark my words: this is the Blade Runner of it's time. Blade Runner was universally panned by critics, and a dud at the box office. Today, it's considered one of the greatest SciFi movies of all time. 30 years from now, they'll still be watching Oblivion. Like Blade, this is ultimately aDon't you believe any of these young Entitlement Generation snobs. Oblivion is a great movie. Mark my words: this is the Blade Runner of it's time. Blade Runner was universally panned by critics, and a dud at the box office. Today, it's considered one of the greatest SciFi movies of all time. 30 years from now, they'll still be watching Oblivion. Like Blade, this is ultimately a love story: a pair of souls separated by time, war and science desperately seeking to reunite. It is one of Tom Cruise's best performances. The Icelandic scenery mixed with seamless CGI is stunning and restrained. The pace seems excruciatingly slow, but is perfect for the situation. With just a couple of small forgettable flaws in the science, the story is completely believable. Joseph Kosinski's graphic novel background shows in almost every frame, with perfect shot composition and transition. I was completely captivated by the mise en scene. (Look it up, kiddies.) Forget comments about being “derivative” or “unoriginal”. That’s the nature of science fiction. Finally, the M83 soundtrack is so perfect, you don't notice it until the wonderful final credits. Buy or rent it, and you will watch it over and over again. Tom & Joseph: you did good. I look forward to great projects from both of you. Joseph, I just hope the Disney dreck you have lined up doesn't bring you down. Yes, we all gotta work. Expand
  18. Apr 21, 2014
    Muy buena, la recomiendo. Todo sorprende, la trama y las imagenes. Desde el comienzo hasta el final te mantiene boquiabierto. Tremendjo trabajo senor director.
  19. Jun 9, 2014
    This movie got me! From the thrilling storyline to the excellent soundtrack by M83 (Inspired By Hans Zimmer) Joseph Kosinski brings you into a visually unique wasted planet earth! The rhythm is fast and you don't have time to get bored, it constantly leaves the watcher wondering what's gonna happen next? Until It Is all revealed in due time. Best psychological Sci-fi movie I have seen in aThis movie got me! From the thrilling storyline to the excellent soundtrack by M83 (Inspired By Hans Zimmer) Joseph Kosinski brings you into a visually unique wasted planet earth! The rhythm is fast and you don't have time to get bored, it constantly leaves the watcher wondering what's gonna happen next? Until It Is all revealed in due time. Best psychological Sci-fi movie I have seen in a while and I Highly recommend It! Expand
  20. Apr 23, 2013
    An unexpected treasure. I salute the nerve of producers and director to go with a novel and thoughtful story instead of the n-th sequel or reimagining of some previous success. Major Kudos to the parties responsible! The visuals are gorgeous and breathtaking (with consistent visual design reminiscent of Star Wars at its best), a good supporting score, and fine acting. The consistency isAn unexpected treasure. I salute the nerve of producers and director to go with a novel and thoughtful story instead of the n-th sequel or reimagining of some previous success. Major Kudos to the parties responsible! The visuals are gorgeous and breathtaking (with consistent visual design reminiscent of Star Wars at its best), a good supporting score, and fine acting. The consistency is significantly above average (with few and insignificant gaffes or inexplicable moments and absolutely no major plot holes Thank you!), the pacing wasn't frantic or boring with exposition of characters and backstory well-spaced throughout the movie. I'll probably go see it again, just because movies like this are too few and far in between. Expand
  21. Apr 21, 2013
    Its beautiful, its intense, its exciting, and its a bit confusing. But, all in all i really enjoyed this, even though the story was a bit confusing, espesially at the end.
  22. Apr 21, 2013
    It was kind of an old school sci-fi, a little slow, with the type of storytelling that creates a good atmosphere by showing how the “everyday future life” is.
    The CGI is nice, believable, nothing fancy, just as it should be. Loved the sounds.
    Acting is OK (yet not specially good as the big names would indicate). The story is consistent, however, there are a few unnecessary scenes, and
    Acting is OK (yet not specially good as the big names would indicate).
    The story is consistent, however, there are a few unnecessary scenes, and in some other parts it feels something is missing.
    Although there is nothing new in this movie and what we got isn’t perfect it was still enjoyable and worth to watch.
  23. Apr 20, 2013
    First, before you criticize this movie of being too reminiscent of some older sci-fi movies, hop over to Wikipedia and check out the article about this movie. This movie PAYS HOMAGE to sci-fi movies of the 70s.

And it has done a great job of doing that. That's why I loved it. The tone, the atmosphere, the soundtrack, the sound effects, the décor, etc., all make this movie a pure sci-fi movie. The storyline is not perfect but it contains enough mysteries and twists to keep me interested for the entire movies. Those who feel the plot was too convoluted are probably too accustomed to linear storyline found in G.I.Joe, Expendable and most super-heroes movies.
  24. Apr 19, 2013
    Amazing movie with a plot that will keep you on your toes waiting for the next reveal (while you might guess some of the plot there is no way you will guess it all!). True sci-fi. Best movie I have seen in the last 12 months. Loved it!
  25. Apr 22, 2013
    Very good and thoughtful sci-fi flick. Underrated here by the critics. I know it's mixing apples and oranges, but when metacritic gives this a 55 and the lame show Two Broke Girls a 66 you know there is something wrong with this site.
  26. Apr 21, 2013
    Beautifully filmed, and, yes, it's hard not to see the shadows of other sci-if movies in Oblivion, but I give it points for the bigger questions.. What is a valid life? If you discovered your life was not as unique as you thought, does that negate your existence?
  27. Apr 22, 2013
    Oblivion is a unsurprisingly great film, I had no doubts that it would be "great" ever since I saw the trailer; I didn't lose faith in it after seeing it's mediocre reviews. I disagree with most of them. Oblivion is thrilling with it's explosive action and mind-boggling yet great story-line. The director lets you get to know the characters immensely well (with one or two exceptions...); heOblivion is a unsurprisingly great film, I had no doubts that it would be "great" ever since I saw the trailer; I didn't lose faith in it after seeing it's mediocre reviews. I disagree with most of them. Oblivion is thrilling with it's explosive action and mind-boggling yet great story-line. The director lets you get to know the characters immensely well (with one or two exceptions...); he also manages to grab your emotions and lets you hang on the edge of your comfy seat/chair. It's not immensely intense or thrilling, but is to a nice extent. The actors portray their characters well, the cinematography is great, the music is good, the story is awesome all these things are great, but not phenomenal: so I give this film an... 8.4/10! Expand
  28. Apr 20, 2013
    This movie was very solid all around. I think the writers did a fantastic job with the plot by generating a very engaging story which makes you care about the characters. The story has a few twists and definitely will make you think a little. Furthermore, the special effects are all great with just the right amount of action and I think Cruise is very believable. In the end there reallyThis movie was very solid all around. I think the writers did a fantastic job with the plot by generating a very engaging story which makes you care about the characters. The story has a few twists and definitely will make you think a little. Furthermore, the special effects are all great with just the right amount of action and I think Cruise is very believable. In the end there really isn't much to complain about. If you are looking for a movie with a really awesome story and great effects I highly suggest this one. Expand
  29. Apr 20, 2013
    Although i hate tom cruise for being a bad controlling husband and a phsyco scientologist. I actually enjoy oblivion, great and good sci-fi. Good acting as expected from tom. 1st 45 mins kinda confusing, but the story slowly revealed all clues to the end. It's really worth it to watch at the big screen.
  30. Apr 21, 2013
    I honestly LOVED this movie. It's intriguing and engaging until the last minute of the film. Highly recommended. I was worried that the trailers gave away most of the mystery but they barely even scratched the surface of all the mysteries it has to unveil.
  31. Apr 20, 2013
    The emotional weight, strong acting, and impressive visuals are enough to make the film a must-see. The story is much stronger than its getting credit for, and although some pieces seem familiar, they are grounded in plot and explanations that hardly make them derivative. This has underrated written all over it.
  32. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion is a brilliant movie. Visually stunning, with an incredible soundtrack and a great plot that will keep you glued to the screen.
    Unlike many other scifi movies, the visuals and special fx are there to support the plot, instead of a silly plot made just to justify special fx and explosions.
    This is without a doubt one of the best movies i've recently seen.
  33. Apr 22, 2013
    Sadly an underrated movie here on metacritic, fairly close to the movie "moon" from an ideological perspective. I was pleasantly surprised to have my (low) expectations exceeded from Hollywood movie. The critics claim the movie does not ask any real questions, or that it does not answer any, but to be honest Oblivion does have it's finer points. One has to wonder if Oblivion is asking theSadly an underrated movie here on metacritic, fairly close to the movie "moon" from an ideological perspective. I was pleasantly surprised to have my (low) expectations exceeded from Hollywood movie. The critics claim the movie does not ask any real questions, or that it does not answer any, but to be honest Oblivion does have it's finer points. One has to wonder if Oblivion is asking the question that no one really wants to know the answer to. Expand
  34. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion delivers the goods when it comes to breathtaking scenery and CGI. Nonetheless, the plot is what you would expect, underdeveloped and as bare as Earth is portrayed. Essentially bits and pieces of other Hollywood blockbusters are glued together and repackaged into another post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller. Nonetheless the critics are too harsh on the Tom Cruise factor. He delivers aOblivion delivers the goods when it comes to breathtaking scenery and CGI. Nonetheless, the plot is what you would expect, underdeveloped and as bare as Earth is portrayed. Essentially bits and pieces of other Hollywood blockbusters are glued together and repackaged into another post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller. Nonetheless the critics are too harsh on the Tom Cruise factor. He delivers a solid performance and the roll is suited to his action junky portfolio. Overall the film is quite solid. Despite the length I was entertained but would have enjoyed more development and explanation into the war that destroyed our planet. Go see this, it wouldn't be the same on DVD, the visuals are superb. Expand
  35. Apr 20, 2013
    A real/serious sci-if film that takes its time to develop characters and creates an engaging story that kept me interested throughout. Some may complain about it being "special effects laden" but what do you expect? You're living in the past..it's very expensive to physically model everything. Anyway, I enjoyed it very much, Cruise still has it.
  36. Apr 21, 2013
    Absolutely stunning visuals and sound if you see it in IMAX or RPX. I give it a solid 7! Story is good, has some romance so good for the ladies as well!

Take your girlfriend, she will like it!
  37. Apr 21, 2013
    See this movie IF you: 1. Are looking for a mindless Sci-Fi action movie. 2. Like Tom Cruise. 3. Like attractive women. 4. Like Morgan Freeman. 5. Don't mind gaping plot-holes.

Overall, beautiful looking/sounding flick with plot holes that try to ruin the experience that may or may not succeed based on your mindset going into the theater. If you plan on seeing this movie ever, you may as well see it on a big screen, as this is simply a gorgeous looking movie.
  38. Apr 20, 2013
    Oblivion is a movie with Science futuristic chicks, guns and futuristic alien scaves. It looks like a stupid movie with Tom Cruise kicking alien butt and saving Olga Kurenlenko in a tin box but this movie takes turns and twists throughout. The story with former human machine "finder" Jack Harper who can't erase his past that's left on earth and joins up with a spaceship controller to huntOblivion is a movie with Science futuristic chicks, guns and futuristic alien scaves. It looks like a stupid movie with Tom Cruise kicking alien butt and saving Olga Kurenlenko in a tin box but this movie takes turns and twists throughout. The story with former human machine "finder" Jack Harper who can't erase his past that's left on earth and joins up with a spaceship controller to hunt down aliens and stay alive by their faithful machines. Now, it may sound that Oblivion is just IMAX produced crap by the TRON Legacy director- Joseph Kosinski. But it's not, the movie's dazzling chases and heart stopping moments keep it running and paced up. Then you see a human/machine hunter Morgan Freeman who knows about Jack's wife and his past and will do anything to take over this world. But not until Cruise kicks ass! Oblivion is a fresh exotic movie that's totally breathtaking. It starts off slow but then the movie paces up. Bravo. Expand
  39. Apr 19, 2013
    Here's a fine example of a film that may have an inconsistent and a familiar screenplay, but still makes up for an exciting watch due to its director Joseph Kosinski's extra-ordinary sense of creating spectacles that feel like breathing artworks. The effective background music makes them feel even grander. I think Kosinski's creative process starts basically from the music. It'sHere's a fine example of a film that may have an inconsistent and a familiar screenplay, but still makes up for an exciting watch due to its director Joseph Kosinski's extra-ordinary sense of creating spectacles that feel like breathing artworks. The effective background music makes them feel even grander. I think Kosinski's creative process starts basically from the music. It's essentially an orgasmic audio-visual fair, just like Kosinski's previous and debut film- Tron:Legacy. He's more ambitious here, and more passionate. Although, you can't help but recognize the influences behind the story-which are some sci-fi epics I won't name here-and feel deja-vu; it still never stops being exciting and interesting. Oh, BTW I suggest to listen to Oblivion OST by M83 (amazing shoegaze/electronica band) before going for the film. Really! M83's soundtrack feels like Hans Zimmer-Daft Punk-M83 all together at once. And that's effing awesome!

I wait for the day when Kosinski is handed an ambitious and promising screenplay. That day, I believe, he will make a master-piece worth savoring for lifetime.
  40. Apr 22, 2013
    I good, but not a great movie. Tom Cruise (whom I'm not a fan of) does a great job in this film. The plot is reminiscent of the movie "The Island". The world is beautiful, effect are not over done, and the is music fantastic.

Where the score comes down is there are some scenes that are a little too long. There are also parts that are over explained, that i find dumbs the movies down for people who may not get it otherwise.
  41. Apr 20, 2013
    I enjoyed the movie I wouldnt say its the best movie of 2013 but it made me pay attention. The twist was pretty nice idea and Morgan Freeman playing a bad ass was a treat.
  42. Apr 21, 2013
    Let me preface my remarks with two clarifying statements. Statement 1: I firmly believe that any work, be it film, game, or any other media, should be primarily judged against what it set out to do, and less against other works, primarily those which do not share its objectives. Statement 2: I was expecting very little from this movie: cool special effects and some Morgan Freeman. WithLet me preface my remarks with two clarifying statements. Statement 1: I firmly believe that any work, be it film, game, or any other media, should be primarily judged against what it set out to do, and less against other works, primarily those which do not share its objectives. Statement 2: I was expecting very little from this movie: cool special effects and some Morgan Freeman. With both of those points in mind, I can honestly say that I was extremely impressed with Oblivion. Let's run it down. The relatively simple concept outlined in the trailer belies the complexity and creativity of the actual film. Drawing upon the best writing traditions of the plot-twist era, like the golden days of The Twilight Zone, this film takes you on a rapidly-turning plot that does its best to keep you off balance. At the same time, however, it provides clues and subtleties that allow the sharp-eyed and analytical viewer to potentially unravel the plot's mysteries before they're shown. The writers deserve major kudos for their plot work, even if sometimes the dialogue is a little, well, over-dramatic. (Which, in the heat of the moment, can be forgiven; there are no real "rolling my eyes in disbelief" lines.) Given that I was expected two hours of watching Tom Cruise's Amazing Performing Ego, I was extremely pleased to see that he was actually a part of the cast and a believable addition to the film's world, so director Joseph Kosinski also deserves a significant pat on the back. While it would be easy to call Andrea Riseborough's performance wooden and/or forced, if you actually pay attention to the film and its plot, you'll discover that hers is one of the most genuine, authentic, and meaningful portrayals in the film; this should be considered a highlight of her career. And while Olga Kurylenko isn't quite at A+ level, she nevertheless turns in an extremely good performance. Finally, the set and scenery crews deserve a major share of the film's accolades; they managed to create both sterile hyper-tech environments and grimy ruins with equal believability, realism, and creativity. The set designers, builders, and managers responsible for the bubbleship, tower apartment, and props should consider this film a permanent part of their portfolios; there is not one single element that engenders a feeling of "are you kidding me?" Additionally (don't worry, not a spoiler), the crew who worked on the drones are, in my book, amazing; they managed to create a device that is capable of expressing emotion without actually doing so, and to communicate using a handful of synthesizer notes. Watch for these if you go see the film. So, with all those glowing praises in mind, on to the negatives. One of the things that stood out most seriously was a failure in audio mixing. The soundtrack (which was very good, by the way) frequently overshadows everything else because it's simply too loud for the scene. Morgan Freeman, for all his star power and the great performance he was able to give with what he was given, was terribly shortchanged; his character was marginal at best and seemed to have been stapled onto the plot to try to get another major star on screen. (Even so, he did a great job.) Finally, considering how carefully-constructed the rest of the plot was, the ending seemed almost an afterthought. They aimed for bittersweet, but just ended up with "hmm, vaguely creepy." In this respect, they did a Mass Effect; they led up through the whole thing, the audience becoming more and more invested in everything that was going on and actually (probably) caring about what happens to these characters, only to in the last five minutes drop a big wet pile of "Aw, really?" on us. Even so, I'm not at all sorry I went to see it on opening weekend, and will probably go to see it again before it leaves theaters so I can catch it in 3D, because when this goes small-screen, it's going to lose a lot. I've been unimpressed with a lot of contemporary sci-fi and most of Tom Cruise's work for a long time. Oblivion is an excellent piece of sci fi, a well-conceived, -executed, and -acted film, well worth your time if you are a fan of sci-fi and plot twists. This film is a rewarding adventure. I have no problem giving Oblivion an 8 and a subtitle. Oblivion: Plot twists in the apocalypse. Expand
  43. Apr 19, 2013
    I enjoyed this movie very much. The initial voice over narrative and stunning visuals had me from the very first second. And the stunning visuals were a consistent pleasure throughout the movie. Beautifully rendered. My attention was held enough that it did not seem as long as its 124 minutes. But somewhere along the line I got lost. I lost track of the story. I was caught thinkingI enjoyed this movie very much. The initial voice over narrative and stunning visuals had me from the very first second. And the stunning visuals were a consistent pleasure throughout the movie. Beautifully rendered. My attention was held enough that it did not seem as long as its 124 minutes. But somewhere along the line I got lost. I lost track of the story. I was caught thinking "What just happened and why don't I understand it?" Maybe I went to the bathroom during a particularly important exposition. However, my lack of comprehension did not ruin the movie for me. Instead, I was wooed into just going along for the ride and enjoying it regardless. I liked it enough that I will watch it again when it comes out on disk and see if I can figure it out the second time around. Expand
  44. Apr 29, 2013
    What happens when you take a handful of the best and most creative scenarios from other Sci-Fi films and merge them into one film in a interesting and cohesive way? The answer is called Oblivion.

This film is visually stunning at times. Tom Cruse doesn't over or under act in this film. (As he's been prone to in the past). The other actors sadly are little more than set dressing. But they fill their roles beautifully and you don't really notice. That's always been a problem with Sci-Fi, that the world is center stage and the actors less so. Oblivion is more guilty there than most films in the genre.

There are numerous plot twists in this film. Sadly none of them have the desired impact because we've seen more than a few of them before. And those that are "fresh" are foreshadowed from so far off they aren't really surprises when they happen. I think I had one "Oh. Interesting" moment and that was it.

I will give top marks to the people who created this shattered earth. It is rendered flawlessly (what parts aren't real) and there was a lot of detail put into spaces even if you only see them for half a second.

Overall this film is a top class flick. It merges a variety of ideas in a logical way. Though perhaps its over some audience members heads. I heard a woman say "So 52 is the real guy" on the way out. That's wrong. (But doesn't spoil anything.)
    There should be more true Sci-Fi films like this. But without the idea stealing. Because at the end of the day. This is a good movie. Because it has borrowed a little to heavily from other sources to be called great.
  45. Apr 22, 2013
    I didn't think I'd like the movie mainly because I'm not a huge TC supporter but, I must say, this movie actually blew me away. Not to the extend of going on a limb and giving it a total 10 in the scoring but it was entertaining enough to deserve a solid 8. The movie completely held my attention from beginning to end. It's one of those scifi flicks that will definitely keep you the edge ofI didn't think I'd like the movie mainly because I'm not a huge TC supporter but, I must say, this movie actually blew me away. Not to the extend of going on a limb and giving it a total 10 in the scoring but it was entertaining enough to deserve a solid 8. The movie completely held my attention from beginning to end. It's one of those scifi flicks that will definitely keep you the edge of your seat. It has a good amount of mystery and plot twists in it too which makes for the type of movie that you can buy once out on bluray and watch again and again without getting too bored too quickly (and without feeling like you wasted a good amount of on the purchase). Yeah, it may have elements from movies like Wall-e, or even others that deal with themes of earthling annihilation and resource stripping but, all-in-all, the movie brings a new amount of new "stuff" to the screen including eye candy technology. I'll see it again but I'm still not a TC supporter. Expand
  46. Apr 22, 2013
    I disagree this is Matrix lite. This movie has elements of Matrix, as well as Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Star Trek, Moon, and many other great sci-fi movies of the past 50 years. That makes this a great movie. Just when you think this movie is getting bland Hollywood plays the Morgan Freeman card that immediately makes any movie much more interesting especially a great space operaI disagree this is Matrix lite. This movie has elements of Matrix, as well as Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Star Trek, Moon, and many other great sci-fi movies of the past 50 years. That makes this a great movie. Just when you think this movie is getting bland Hollywood plays the Morgan Freeman card that immediately makes any movie much more interesting especially a great space opera like this one. This is the movie we all wanted Prometheus to be last year but were left cold and confused. Expand
  47. Apr 22, 2013
    A lot of what critic say about this movie is true, but I still feel it is scored low. You will know every reference if you have been a sci-fi fan for the last 10 years. If not, then this is a great movie to start loving the genre. People may call this unoriginal but that's unfair. Fantasy and Sci-fi are tough genres to explore new grounds (in a single movie especially) without overlyA lot of what critic say about this movie is true, but I still feel it is scored low. You will know every reference if you have been a sci-fi fan for the last 10 years. If not, then this is a great movie to start loving the genre. People may call this unoriginal but that's unfair. Fantasy and Sci-fi are tough genres to explore new grounds (in a single movie especially) without overly complicating the story causing it to drag on. It is not boring, overacted, or too long. The real draw to see this in theaters is the special effects and is worth it. Everything looks and sounds natural with a good soundtrack. Expand
  48. Apr 21, 2013
    An underrated technical masterpiece, Oblivion is laced from the beginning with subtleties that were entertaining to keep track of, and to watch bloom into a plot I could connect them all to. While the long intro is a little too cool and sterile for some, I was fascinated by the high production value, excellent CGI, and the world Kosinski is painting for us. The intro provoked the rightAn underrated technical masterpiece, Oblivion is laced from the beginning with subtleties that were entertaining to keep track of, and to watch bloom into a plot I could connect them all to. While the long intro is a little too cool and sterile for some, I was fascinated by the high production value, excellent CGI, and the world Kosinski is painting for us. The intro provoked the right questions for me, and when I started to get answers, it was more satisfying. The music by M83 is incredible and adds impact to the film. The action is entertaining and well put together. Many claim the film borrows too much from 1970's cliche's, but frankly it is paying homage to them and there is at least one direct hint at that I can clearly remember from in the film. The movie is well made and undeserving of the critic "lightning rod" effect Tom Cruise has, as his acting is good and highly appropriate for his role. The acting overall is good and adequate given the setting. I look forward to buying this movie on disc, and wouldn't be opposed to seeing it again in theaters. Expand
  49. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion is so sophisticated and subtle as to perhaps be an art film. This is great science fiction as comes along only once in a decade--if we are lucky. Tom Cruise is such a lightening rod for critics that they can't actually suspend their disbelief and follow the movie. This film is complex, subtle, beautiful, with stunning actresses and excellent actors. The major flaw is that keyOblivion is so sophisticated and subtle as to perhaps be an art film. This is great science fiction as comes along only once in a decade--if we are lucky. Tom Cruise is such a lightening rod for critics that they can't actually suspend their disbelief and follow the movie. This film is complex, subtle, beautiful, with stunning actresses and excellent actors. The major flaw is that key pieces of information are passed along only once and in mumbled dialog, so one might feel lost near the end. For me, it was completely worth it. This is not a movie you have seen before, though you might see it again. If you loved Cloud Atlas, you will love this film, too.. Expand
  50. Apr 21, 2013
    A good movie, Regardless of the 0's and sour apples writing reviews I would give this about an 8.7.
    The movie was pretty slow and they threw in random suspense. They should have made the movie shorter. Other then that the movies plot was good, the cgi was awesome...

Come on people its a sci-fi movie and a fairly good one at that.. why do purist have to come and write reviews giving it a 0/10 its childish.

I have not went to the theaters in more then 3 years, I choose to go watch oblivion and was not disappointed, and neither will most people who like sci-fi movies.
  51. Apr 20, 2013
    Oblivion is a great movie. There may be some small things that you can predict, but the movie overall just leaves you with a such an amazing feeling at the end, it's great. The visuals are gorgeous and for a movie based on one person roaming a wasteland of a planet, I didn't find myself feeling like any scenes were just dragging along. This is definitely a film worth seeing. Finally, IOblivion is a great movie. There may be some small things that you can predict, but the movie overall just leaves you with a such an amazing feeling at the end, it's great. The visuals are gorgeous and for a movie based on one person roaming a wasteland of a planet, I didn't find myself feeling like any scenes were just dragging along. This is definitely a film worth seeing. Finally, I would like to voice my appreciation for a studio finally releasing a sci-fi film where the story and acting don't completely suck. Expand
  52. Apr 21, 2013
    How exactly did the critics think that this movie was light on story? I feel that this is the opposite. At the end, the film still poses a few questions about their universe, but the characters are interesting enough to compensate. Tom Cruise gives another great performance with a similar mindset as he had in "Jack Reacher."
  53. Apr 21, 2013
    Infinitely more compelling than his last work, Joseph Kosinski's "Oblivion" is an optically captivating piece of cinema and a worthy love letter to sci-fi films of the 70s.
  54. Apr 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oblivion is a true to the art of science fiction film. I love the blend of photo-realistic CGI with the live-action scenes. With a beautiful cast, I feel as if Tom Cruise was picked perfectly for this role, he nailed it! The Director, Joseph Kosinski, directed his 2nd master-piece, (his 1st is Tron Legacy). If you are a Hard SF fan, this movie is for you! By far my favourite Sci-Fi movie this Year!!!!! Expand
  55. Apr 20, 2013
    Pure Sci-fi. My favorite type of Sci-fi. For the "fi" to work the "Sci" has to be believable. While there was plenty of edge of the seat action it wasn't just an action flick and, while there were some creative plot twists it wasn't overly cerebral. I'm no Tom Cruise worshiper but I thought it was well acted. Thankfully we were spared the campy "one liners". I'll pay to see it again.
  56. Apr 25, 2013
    Glad I paid no attention to the critics, saw the trailer, looked good, went to see it.
    I know many trailers look good and can and be rubbish, but I had a good feeling about this one.
    A few surprises and twists very cool film.
  57. Apr 19, 2013
    Everything that is good about the movie are the intangibles. The soundtrack by M83 is great (makes you wonder why they don't do more), the special effects, art direction and photography are stunning. There is no need to suspend disbelief. But once you look past the intangibles, the movie starts to suffer a bit. The acting feels a little force with Tom Cruise doing what he needs to getEverything that is good about the movie are the intangibles. The soundtrack by M83 is great (makes you wonder why they don't do more), the special effects, art direction and photography are stunning. There is no need to suspend disbelief. But once you look past the intangibles, the movie starts to suffer a bit. The acting feels a little force with Tom Cruise doing what he needs to get through the script, but the rest of the cast doesn't quite feel like it believes in the story and that contrast is painful to watch for 2 hours. While the plot twist add some freshness, the last scene leaves me puzzled with what Kosinski is trying to get across.

In short Oblivion has all the ingredients of being a great sci-fi tale, but ends up being ok or decent
  58. Apr 21, 2013
    I really enjoyed Oblivion. At times I felt like the creators had spent some time watching Tron Legacy for inspiration and flashes of futuristic art direction. I even felt that the movie represents a lot of what the upcoming game from Bungie (creators of the "Halo" franchise) have in store for "Destiny" (for you gamers out there, you'll know what I mean). The movie is straight-up cool.I really enjoyed Oblivion. At times I felt like the creators had spent some time watching Tron Legacy for inspiration and flashes of futuristic art direction. I even felt that the movie represents a lot of what the upcoming game from Bungie (creators of the "Halo" franchise) have in store for "Destiny" (for you gamers out there, you'll know what I mean). The movie is straight-up cool. The music score was powerful. Tom Cruise doesn't get in the way. The final scenes of the movie may surprise many (it certainly caught me off guard). It's unfortunate that this movie isn't perfect, because what a monumental experience that would have been. It certainly would have made it harder for the upcoming Star Trek to standout. But the gist of it is: Oblivion is good. Some won't absolutely love it, but I believe most will enjoy it. Expand
  59. Apr 21, 2013
    Seen Oblivion tonight and I mostly enjoyed it. Tom Cruise was good as usual and a nice cameo from Morgan Freeman. The real star of this film though is the amazing visuals. Absolutely stunning and even more impressive than Director Joseph Kosinski's previous movie Tron Legacy. However like Tron the concepts and visuals are great but there just isn't alot of heart to it, with some momentsSeen Oblivion tonight and I mostly enjoyed it. Tom Cruise was good as usual and a nice cameo from Morgan Freeman. The real star of this film though is the amazing visuals. Absolutely stunning and even more impressive than Director Joseph Kosinski's previous movie Tron Legacy. However like Tron the concepts and visuals are great but there just isn't alot of heart to it, with some moments and relationships that are supposed to emotional, and they just aren't. I can see Oblivion being this years Prometheus with a big split in opinion. Expand
  60. Apr 27, 2013
    Oblivion is in many ways similar to Tron: Legacy, director Joseph Kosinski's previous film. It's visually beautiful, the design of it is incredible but at times the characters lack anything resembling character. However one way they differ is that Tron Legacy was a mess in terms of its story, the many turns and complex mythology it created made it an incredibly complicated andOblivion is in many ways similar to Tron: Legacy, director Joseph Kosinski's previous film. It's visually beautiful, the design of it is incredible but at times the characters lack anything resembling character. However one way they differ is that Tron Legacy was a mess in terms of its story, the many turns and complex mythology it created made it an incredibly complicated and unintentionally dull picture.Oblivion is a wonderfully original story with eye popping effects. the film is set following a planetary war, a war which results were not the ones the defenders expected. The Earth has been ruined and 50 years later Jack Harper is left behind to maintain machines that are consuming earths few remaining resources. However when the arrival of fellow human Julia derails his routine he begins to question what he is doing on this ruined planet. Oblivion does provide thrills and excitement like a conventional action sci-fi, which is what the trailers implied the audience would get. However the film is much more of a mystery film about the inquisitive nature of mankind and the ultimate power of questioning you place in the world, the power in deciding ones own fate. It's a film that heavily relies upon its visuals so its probably a good thing they are truly breathtaking. The world created in the film is flawlessly realised with the landscape and machines that populate this new version of Earth amazing due to their original presentation. The film, based on Koskinski's graphic novel of the same name has a feeling of been there done that but only because the story is remarkably similar to another recent sci-fi picture, to name that film however would ruin part of this films wonderful mystery. The film central mystery is clever and touching but it does drag in the middle. The film is Cruise's and he is just as good as ever but the standout of the film is Andrea Riseborough who plays Jack's naive assistant Victoria, a woman so intent on leaving this Earth she ignores anything that makes her curious. Riseborough has a wonderful screen presence and her character in Oblivion is both tragic and strong and quite frankly she is the most interesting character in the very limited cast. Kurlyenko continues to shock me with yet another horrific performance, one that would ruin a film like this if she wasn't so unimportant to the films plot and if her character wasn't so thin and lifeless. Always playing the hard woman supposedly suits her but I have yet to see a single film she has impressed in, with To The Wonder showing she can't do soft either (although talking about acting and To The Wonder is like mixing oil and water.). Morgan Freeman is also present as a man Cruise must get answers from but he doesn't really have a character, instead he is a device to introduce plot or elaborate on previously developed plot points. It's a film that only really has two real characters but ultimately it's enough to be satisfied because those two characters are excellent and life the film beyond the Kurlyenko of it all. The film also works because the overall feel of it is so excellent, the finale while predictable is sufficiently inspiring and provides some much needed catharsis to a character who goes through the ringer. A final flashback near the end is the perfect scene addition to make the finale really stand out and leave the film with a extremely satisfying conclusion making it a terrific summer blockbuster, only in April. Expand
  61. May 6, 2013
    A very enjoyable experience with an excellent performance by Tom Cruise. The world is well-crafted and the plot is steady even if it is familiar. The visuals are gorgeous and I love the design of everything, from the firearms to the robots. The script can be pretty cheesy and inconsistent, but there are a lot of unexpected twists and turns. I honestly enjoyed seeing it and would recommendA very enjoyable experience with an excellent performance by Tom Cruise. The world is well-crafted and the plot is steady even if it is familiar. The visuals are gorgeous and I love the design of everything, from the firearms to the robots. The script can be pretty cheesy and inconsistent, but there are a lot of unexpected twists and turns. I honestly enjoyed seeing it and would recommend the film to anybody who wants a good sci-fi flick. Expand
  62. Apr 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oblivion is a potent well-filmed sci-fi movie, but it's not perfect. As with Tron Legacy (also directed by Joseph Kosinski) the world in Oblivion is gorgeous and doesn't lack in little details. Action scenes are gripping and special effects are great. The story itself is quite good and with some neat plot twists, but the movie gets a bit boring in the middle, perhaps, it should've been a bit shorter. Also the ending leaves some questions, like "What in the hell's f**k is that triangular giant space thing and why does it eat planets?" and "What happens to all those remaining Tom Cruise clones on Earth?" But still, the movie is worth watching it at least once, even though Kosinski's previous work was significantly better. Expand
  63. Apr 29, 2013
    These film is the greatest movie that I have seen this year!!! I'm very satisfied with the quality oft the film. It has 4x times higher quality than HD, I like the story, it makes you feel confused a little, but that's the true meaning of making a movie... The beginning, the middle, the ending was very good, it surely a must watch movie!!!
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this film, it's a
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this film, it's a perfect blend acting...
    I hope another kind like this film will be showed up...
    Getting excited for the future of film!!!
  64. Apr 21, 2013
    Overall good movie. Oblivion was well acted, decent story and tied together at the end. The big problem was the pacing killed this movie. It is about two hours long sans previews. But it took awhile to get anywhere. Still a worthwhile watch. But don't get the large drink
  65. Apr 22, 2013
    Oblivion is a good film but not a great one. It has a great soundtrack, amazing visuals, is a human focused story, has mystery, has suspense, and is entertaining. However it is slow, generic and predictable at times.

Tom Cruise’s latest outing sees him play a drone repair man named Jack living with his communications officer Victoria (Andrea Riseborough) in a jetson’s style home. We see them living happily and healthily in their sterile environment, focused upon their role in securing humanity’s future. They’re service is soon finish where we see Victoria is excited and happy to move on yet Jack is reluctant to leave.

This sets the stage for a mystery that slowly reveals everything. And I mean slowly. When meaningful events occur in the film some were quite surprising and satisfying, then others were underwhelming because you expect them or they’re insignificant. Despite my grievances with the pace of the film and deliverance of events, there is an outstanding part towards the end (you’ll know it when you see it) that was very satisfying, surprising and explains much. It is a strong aspect of the film. When we’re told in dialog the after effects I only wish we got to see it instead. The pacing of the film is both good and bad.

I’m intent on keeping this short as possible; if you like sc-fi you’ll like this film. It is not groundbreaking, is generic at times, has unexplained plot holes, yet is innovative in other areas and is an entertaining movie. I enjoy it nonetheless and believe it is worth watching. It’ll have you talking afterwards too.
  66. Apr 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So Oblivion is a good movie, best I've seen in a while. It starts off with a really good story line. There were a few plot twists and other things. Besides that, it was a good movie, There were a few things that really confused me but in the end, it was great. Last thing, there was a lot of Tom Cruise in that movie, you'll see when you see it yourself Expand
  67. Apr 20, 2013
    Not at all a bad movie, probably worth your time. However no actor in the film stuck me as being amazing (Morgan Freeman played completely the wrong character). The CGI was incredible, especially the drones. All in all a decent film but quite long.
  68. May 5, 2013
    I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. The concept the movie presented was intriguing and left me asking more questions, which is what the directors wants the viewers to do. But that's also where the flaw of the movie comes from. There are just so many questions and concepts that I felt could have been explored more thoroughly. The ending felt rushed, and I was left feeling without aI was pleasantly surprised by this movie. The concept the movie presented was intriguing and left me asking more questions, which is what the directors wants the viewers to do. But that's also where the flaw of the movie comes from. There are just so many questions and concepts that I felt could have been explored more thoroughly. The ending felt rushed, and I was left feeling without a sense of closure. None the less, it's worth a watch. Expand
  69. Sep 20, 2013
    Maybe the ending was a bit of a letdown but the first three quarters of this are a slick, eye-popping sc-fi lover's wet dream. I liked this a whole lot. What the heck is Slant Magazine? Metacritic's scoring is, as so often, head scratching.
  70. Jun 15, 2013
    I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, however, I thought this movie was pretty good overall with some great effects. The movie had a different feel to it, simple, clean, uncluttered, kind of like the movie Wall-e, but much more exciting, the cgi was excellent also. Most modern day sci-fi or action movies try to cram so much activity into each action scene that it gets chaotic and boring butI'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, however, I thought this movie was pretty good overall with some great effects. The movie had a different feel to it, simple, clean, uncluttered, kind of like the movie Wall-e, but much more exciting, the cgi was excellent also. Most modern day sci-fi or action movies try to cram so much activity into each action scene that it gets chaotic and boring but Oblivion had much of the film cast in wide open, vast wastelands where the action scenes where clear and easy to follow. The plot was simple and intriguing, yet kept you interested throughout. The movie falls a little flat prior to the climax but it was a pleasant surprise to see such a good, yet different sci-fi movie because they just don't make very many good or original ones anymore. I will be in the store the day it gets released on blu-ray to get my copy! Expand
  71. Apr 24, 2013
    It's yet another post apocalyptic world, this time with Tom Cruise as one of the survivors. His job is to maintain droids that patrol the wasteland, until things happen that set the plot in motion. While the story isn't especially original and the action sequences are only average, the rest is pretty cool. This world has neat futuristic stuff, dazzling scenery and great design. While it'sIt's yet another post apocalyptic world, this time with Tom Cruise as one of the survivors. His job is to maintain droids that patrol the wasteland, until things happen that set the plot in motion. While the story isn't especially original and the action sequences are only average, the rest is pretty cool. This world has neat futuristic stuff, dazzling scenery and great design. While it's 15 minutes too long, it's a scifi treat for the imagination. Expand
  72. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is incredible. I give it like a 9.4 really, but that is not an option. Only one thing, the scene where they for whatever reason decide to roll out the drone and then get attacked once they open the doors (why not wait until night? where were the scouts that caught one drone and sounded the alarm earlier? why not just open the doors and tell it to LAUNCH form where it is inside instead of putting it on a tractor? was a total Hollywood scene just to have people shoot, die, get blown up, win with losses...dumb for an otherwise brilliant movie). The scenery is amazing, the musical score is brilliant, acting phenomenal, story great (yes they did steal a few things from a few games/books/movies (Independence Day seems like the obvious, but there were sci-fi books with this plot even before, like Footfall). All around outstanding movie that should've scored higher than it did. If you like sci-fi, watch this film! Expand
  73. Apr 25, 2013
    Oblivion is a hell of a film. It achieves what the Matrix Trilogy attempted to in one movie. A great follow up to his first movie, which was the Tron sequel.
  74. May 6, 2013
    Leaving aside Tom Cruise haters, it is beyond me why anyone would give this movie less than a top mark. It has everything any science fiction buff would enjoy, put together in an outstanding and believable package. The cinematography is outstanding, with the animation well-integrated and an exceptional storyline.

Although substantially different in plot and concept, Minority Report, Tom

Although substantially different in plot and concept, Minority Report, Tom Cruise's most recent science fiction movie, is not as polished or believable, yet garnered an 80 from critics. It would be a shame to believe that Phillip K. Dick is the reason for that rating. Dick is one of the best set piece science fiction writers, but does not reach for or achieve the breadth and vision of Oblivion.

Miss Oblivion in theaters at your own risk. This is one of a handful of movies whose small screen versions lose substantial impact on the small screen.
  75. Oct 9, 2013
    Oblivion totally shocked me. I walked in expecting a forgettable Sci-Fi flick. I walked out with the notion of just having seen one of the best science fiction films of the last ten years. The film really hit base with me; I loved the tone, visual style, soundtrack and the emotional human element. And man oh man... Those action scenes! Oh yes!
  76. May 5, 2013
    The atmosphere is terrifyingly believable for a post-apocalyptic movie compared to other movies of the genre, it's beautiful, but still creepy. The plot is too simple and complicated at the same time by a lack of information that pretends to call into question what would happen in a future controlled by technology.
  77. May 29, 2013
    For my part, I actually walked away satisfied, and then a couple of days worth of thought later. was VERY impressed by this film. There's nothing uniquely original here. especially if you read sci-fi, But, taking queues from Total Recall, The Matrix, Dark City, and Moon, among others, I find it fascinating, and of course, Tom Cruise is almost always enthralling in his action roles. Alot ofFor my part, I actually walked away satisfied, and then a couple of days worth of thought later. was VERY impressed by this film. There's nothing uniquely original here. especially if you read sci-fi, But, taking queues from Total Recall, The Matrix, Dark City, and Moon, among others, I find it fascinating, and of course, Tom Cruise is almost always enthralling in his action roles. Alot of sci-fi writers in particular will argue that your memories make up who you are, and so the end to the film brought it all full circle for me. I loved it. Expand
  78. Apr 24, 2013
    Glad to see that the user score on this site is about right despite what the critics say. This is an honest sci-fi action movie, not overly pretentious, not trying to seem deep and philosophical when it is not. The story is not something out of the ordinary, but neither it is a standard (as in completely braindead) Hollywood story. It feels like a mix of classical sci-fi movies, but not inGlad to see that the user score on this site is about right despite what the critics say. This is an honest sci-fi action movie, not overly pretentious, not trying to seem deep and philosophical when it is not. The story is not something out of the ordinary, but neither it is a standard (as in completely braindead) Hollywood story. It feels like a mix of classical sci-fi movies, but not in a dumb copycat way. Yes, it left some questions unanswered, but still it worked for me and I was not facepalming every ten minutes which is more what I can say about most of the recent sci-fi movies. And it looks amazing too. Expand
  79. Sep 6, 2013
    The visuals created by PIXOMONDO studios are just stunning. The storyline introduced in this movie was very fascinating and the soundtrack by M.8.3 just great. A science-fiction thriller of diamond brilliance. Stands with the greatest movies in this genre.
  80. Jun 13, 2014
    Oblivion is a decent sci-fi flick. It has decent acting, a decent plot and decent special effects. Tom Cruise puts on a great show, as usual and so do the supporting actors. Unfortunately, it suffers from something I like to call "WHY DON'T YOU JUST TELL THE OTHER PERSON WHAT'S GOING ON"-dialogue deficiency syndrome.

You see, no one seems to bothered to tell someone what is REALLY going

You see, no one seems to bothered to tell someone what is REALLY going on when they need the information the most. Like say when you're about to kill someone but you want to make them do something for you but instead of telling them what's going on, you just kind of make them guess as to your intentions even though they probably would agree with you right off the bat IF YOU JUST TELL THEM WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW.

Oblivion isn't the only sci-fi movies that seems to suffer from that problem but it's glaringly obvious in at least three very important scenes. For some reason directors think it builds suspense when characters don't open their mouths and internalize everything so that they can justify the violence and special effects that follow next.

That's my gripe with this movie. Other than that, I thought it was quite good. Must-see for any sci-fi fan.
  81. Aug 13, 2013
    Oblivion takes elements from a hodge-podge of science fiction films, but still manages to juxtapose them in a way that makes for something vaguely original. Even if the film is paying homage to Moon, Star Trek, and other hints of films/novels that I didn’t even recognize--for example, was there a wink at Cloud Atlas in the plot device where clones think they’re headed for Paradise whenOblivion takes elements from a hodge-podge of science fiction films, but still manages to juxtapose them in a way that makes for something vaguely original. Even if the film is paying homage to Moon, Star Trek, and other hints of films/novels that I didn’t even recognize--for example, was there a wink at Cloud Atlas in the plot device where clones think they’re headed for Paradise when their work shift is over? Nevertheless, despite the similarities to a host of other films, there is something intriguing about the three main characters, Jack, Julia, and Victoria, played by Tom Cruise, Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough. It is Cruise himself who saves the movie from, well, from oblivion, because it is a perfect vehicle for his boyish looks (he looks 30, not 50) and his saintly quality of being a protector and a savior.

The Earth is ravaged by a war started by invading aliens, who were presumably defeated by human nuclear weapons. But the nuclear war ravaged the planet, and the aliens destroyed the moon which wreaked global climate change. The surviving human race has taken up residence on Saturn’s moon Titan, and a few pockets of aliens, called Scavs for scavengers, are still wandering around on Earth trying to prevent the humans from getting the energy they need for Titan from the ocean, whose water is siphoned up through a huge pyramid hovering in the sky.

This is what Jack (Tom Cruise) and Victoria (Andrea Riseborough) sincerely believe. Their job at a remote outpost, which looks like the condo of the future, is to protect the siphoning process with the help of drones that Jack has to repair, daily risking his life whenever he leaves the outpost, while Victoria provides backup at the station and stays in touch with Sally at Mission Control, who masterminds the project. But the truth is that there is no colony on Titan, and the so-called Scavs, led by Morgan Freeman, are all that’s left of the human race. The drones and the pyramid are powered by the triumphant aliens who destroyed Earth looking for new energy resources. Jack and Victoria are lovers, due to a misunderstanding by the Alien Emperor (who takes on the form of Sally from NASA). When Jack and Victoria were captured, it was just the two of them, and a recent photograph with their heads together made Alien Sally think they were shacking up (which she calls being “an effective team”). So all the Jack and Victoria clones are a romantic couple. Jack was in fact married to another astronaut, Julia (Olga Kurylenko), who was released into outer space with the rest of the team just before capture as she slept in suspended animation.

Even though Jack is a clone whose memory has been wiped out as a precaution against capture, he keeps having dreams and memories of Julia. He also finds a little piece of Earth that is still intact, a retreat where he builds a shack, plays records, and collect books and mementos of whatever he can find from the old days. Finally, Julia’s capsule crash lands, the drones close in and destroy the sleeping astronauts, but Jack waves off the drone from Julia’s sleeping chamber. After awakening Julia, his memory keeps getting stronger, but Victoria, back at the condo, is truly a brainwashed clone, and she eventually reports him to Sally and is terminated for her trouble.

The [Icelandic] landscapes are spectacular (and do I see shades of Prometheus?), and though the plot is predictable and perhaps heavily reliant on other sources, it still shines through with a note of redemption, renewal, and faith in the resilience of the human race. And Tom Cruise is the perfect hero to communicate that positive message, a sort of clone in shining armor, if you will--and oh, yes, he’s also really cute.
  82. Xon
    Jul 24, 2013
    This story could easily have been a trilogy or a two part. Most charaters seem two dimensional because everything seems rushed to get the basic story told. However, the scenery is brilliant and I didn't feel the time pass.
  83. Sep 7, 2013
    I was really impressed with this movie. If you like movies like "Moon" then you'll love this movie. Its more for those who appreciate good acting and a enjoy a deep plot and well... are educated, something that most critics here lack.
  84. Aug 5, 2013
    Kosinski creates spectacular looking movies with a slightly uneven narrative. Sure, it's derivative of other sci-fi films of the past, and the first half is boring as hell. But once it gets going, you can't really fault them for not trying to do something 'original'. It's essentially a hardcore, high budgeted sci fi flick. So in a sea of sequels, I can't complain much. However, heKosinski creates spectacular looking movies with a slightly uneven narrative. Sure, it's derivative of other sci-fi films of the past, and the first half is boring as hell. But once it gets going, you can't really fault them for not trying to do something 'original'. It's essentially a hardcore, high budgeted sci fi flick. So in a sea of sequels, I can't complain much. However, he seemed can't get the balance between visuals and narrative just yet. If his films are produced by a much more steadier vet such as Spielberg, then we would have gotten a gem out of this fellow. Expand
  85. Nov 14, 2013
    I found it very enjoyable. The script is simple, but this actually serves the film well, as it functions best as a paced, ambient experience. The images are clean and beautiful, and the film has a unique atmosphere.
  86. Aug 7, 2013
    What an incredible movie. It's really almost impossible to review it in any detail without giving away spoilers but I will say this, Oblivion is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all-time. It isn't over the top, it doesn't try to do too much, it just relies on fantastic acting thanks to protagonist Jack Harper, played by Tom Cruise, along with a fantastic supporting cast and aWhat an incredible movie. It's really almost impossible to review it in any detail without giving away spoilers but I will say this, Oblivion is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all-time. It isn't over the top, it doesn't try to do too much, it just relies on fantastic acting thanks to protagonist Jack Harper, played by Tom Cruise, along with a fantastic supporting cast and a story that is absolutely amazing. The plot developed at a perfect pace for the environment and created a setting that felt genuine throughout. The only flaw was that there were some elements left unexplained, but then again it is a sci-fi movie so it doesn't take too much from the experience. I don't understand why so many critics slammed this movie but they do tend to like weird, artsy fartsy garb and dislike anything resembling a well-made action film. While this movie didn't have much action, it seems like it does from trailers so don't expect a gung-ho modern shooter or anything. If anything, it feels more like a Matrix style film in terms of pace. Regardless, I've said as much as I can say without revealing too much. I think most people would likely agree that Oblivion is a sci-fi epic worthy of the 2 hours. Expand
  87. Dec 26, 2013
    When Tron 2 Screenwriter, Joseph Kosinski, started shopping for a Publisher for his graphic novel, Oblivion, they told him it was so good that he should bring it right to the big screen. Before you know it, some big names signed out and the film was released as a big budget blockbuster. There are a ton of cool gadgets in a story about a futuristic world, that has been destroyed by war.When Tron 2 Screenwriter, Joseph Kosinski, started shopping for a Publisher for his graphic novel, Oblivion, they told him it was so good that he should bring it right to the big screen. Before you know it, some big names signed out and the film was released as a big budget blockbuster. There are a ton of cool gadgets in a story about a futuristic world, that has been destroyed by war. What initially turned me on to this film was the trailer, which show you the technology, but tell you almost nothing about the story. The films description is the same way, it tells you very little and really gets your curiosity going. The story starts by telling us what has become of the world, 65 years in the future. The planet has been destroyed by war and the humans have left the planet for one of Saturn's moons. All that's left is a bunch of technology meant to harvest Earth's resources for the people on Titan. The remaining rebels mean to sabotage this technology and it's the job of Jack and Vicka to repair and protect the technology from the last remaining terrorists. Tom Cruise stars and by now we all know how I feel about Tom Cruise. Fortunatly for Mr. Kosinski, this was a film that Cruise was really into and he does give one of his strongest performance since Minority Report. Cruise is terrific and is the main reason this film works in the beginning. With the extensive back story, it takes a while for anything substantive to happen and that's where Cruise and the unique technology come into play. They carry the film from the shocking beginning into the heart of the story. Once this film gets going it is one of the best pure Science Fiction films to come along in years. To his credit, even though the film is weird and starts out slow, Kosinski wouldn't let Hollywood touch it. The result is an old school type of Science Fiction film, done with modern technology. The geeks will love this movie, but there is also enough of a side stories and some amazing special effects that will help gain the majority of audiences. Oblivion was a terrific ride and something you don't see everyday, I really can't recommend it enough. Expand
  88. Jul 21, 2013
    Oblivion provides stunning visuals and a cinematography that is truly mesmerizing but as the story moves along, all the beauty begins to disappear and your left with a beautiful beginning and a somewhat lifeless ending.
  89. Apr 26, 2013
    a nicve clean sf-movie, fun to watch for the story and simply fun to look at for the style of the cinematography, SF-movies are few and far between (but getting more popular) but this is still a very good example of the genre, not to mention that the role of the lead is a dead ringer for Tom Cruise
  90. Nov 24, 2013
    This is my kind of movie. It's art design and visuals are amazing and the Sci-Fi story is very intriguing. I also loved the love story of it. It reminded me of Prometheus and Avatar, which I loved too. I've watched it twice now, after the first seating I would've given it a 9/10 but now I see it's more a 8/10. If you love Sci-Fi, do yourself a favour and watch it. NOW. in 1080p 3D!
  91. Jul 29, 2013
    Oblivion, Joseph Kosinski's follow-up feature to Tron Legacy proves again that he is a great visual director. Our desolate planet looks gorgeous and all the tech gear looks very sleek and futuristic. The VFX are used in service of the story and the craftsmanship is absolutely exellent, not one single shot looks fake! People who love and know the magnificent Tron Legacy soundtrack willOblivion, Joseph Kosinski's follow-up feature to Tron Legacy proves again that he is a great visual director. Our desolate planet looks gorgeous and all the tech gear looks very sleek and futuristic. The VFX are used in service of the story and the craftsmanship is absolutely exellent, not one single shot looks fake! People who love and know the magnificent Tron Legacy soundtrack will notice a certain resemblance here, but this is certainly not a bad thing, rather the opposite. The story is sort of a composition of elements you might have seen in other scifi movies, but this is not always avoidable and not really a problem. The style and execution are brilliant so I'm very much looking forward to Kosinski's next film. Highly recommended! Expand
  92. Apr 25, 2013
    Maybe it's because I'm not too well-versed with the sci-fi action genre but I thought the premise of Oblivion was an interesting one, though I can't judge on how "original" it may or may not be. The best element of this movie is easily the visuals, which are very expansive & detailed, especially in the chase & space scenes. The acting for the most part is solid, and the action can beMaybe it's because I'm not too well-versed with the sci-fi action genre but I thought the premise of Oblivion was an interesting one, though I can't judge on how "original" it may or may not be. The best element of this movie is easily the visuals, which are very expansive & detailed, especially in the chase & space scenes. The acting for the most part is solid, and the action can be really engaging. Also, the score is very well-written & effective, which I was honestly expecting since it was done by Anthony Gonzalez, the bandleader of M83, who I personally like. And the plot & writing are actually really good as well... for the first half. The second half is where problems start to arise. (SPOILERS START HERE) First the female lead Victoria becomes completely irrational & melodramatic when Jack explains that Julia was his wife before his memory was wiped (something Victoria somehow seemed to know beforehand) and even goes as far as to endanger his life & kick him out of his job. But then it's once Jack meets a clone of himself in the desert that things really start to crumble. Everything that happens afterwards (especially the parts with Morgan Freeman & his gang) just comes out of nowhere & has no real rhyme or reason to it. It all just feels really underexplained. I heard this was based on a book & that would make sense, since I imagine a lot of the details in the latter half got lost in translation. There's also little plotholes here & there (like why is there a dog just walking around unattended on Earth if all the resources have been destroyed? And what about everything with that island paradise-esque place Jack & Julia would occasionally go to? And how did they have a kid that's a few years old if Julia was the only survivor Jack found & the time between that & the ending scene was just a few days?) that can really take you out of the movie for a second. But like I said, the visuals & overall first half are enough to make watching this worthwhile. 71/100 Expand
  93. Aug 29, 2014
    There are many problems with Oblivion, but ultimately, I am willing to write them off for a couple of reasons. For one, the cinematography is fantastic. The set/production design is brilliant and is captured perfectly by the camera at every turn. The special effects are also very well done. The battle sequences, the weapons, the ships, the everything, all brilliantly thought out andThere are many problems with Oblivion, but ultimately, I am willing to write them off for a couple of reasons. For one, the cinematography is fantastic. The set/production design is brilliant and is captured perfectly by the camera at every turn. The special effects are also very well done. The battle sequences, the weapons, the ships, the everything, all brilliantly thought out and planned. The acting, particularly from Tom Cruise, is also great. The plot itself is a bit hit-and-miss, but as a whole, it is interesting and entertaining enough. However, the plot can get caught up in itself frequently and I felt like it was trying to be deep at times, but kind of missed the mark there. In addition, there are certainly some plotholes as they blend many different science fiction films (Moon being a recent example of one they borrowed from) to make one mishmash of a film. However, luckily, the acting and imagery are great enough to make me ignore those concerns and allow me to lose myself in the film. Not the best film ever, but a damn entertaining one that has some great production elements. Expand
  94. May 22, 2013
    If you haven't let someone spoil Oblivion's late-plot twists for you, do yourself a favor and tell them to shut up while you shell out the cash to catch this one in theaters. The visual and audio effects make Oblivion at least worth the matinee prices, and going in not knowing everything will make its flaws (a few plot holes, a convenient coincidence or two, and an annoying plot deviceIf you haven't let someone spoil Oblivion's late-plot twists for you, do yourself a favor and tell them to shut up while you shell out the cash to catch this one in theaters. The visual and audio effects make Oblivion at least worth the matinee prices, and going in not knowing everything will make its flaws (a few plot holes, a convenient coincidence or two, and an annoying plot device named Bob) well worth overlooking. Expand
  95. Jul 28, 2013
    First hour is extremely boring and once you closed to last 15 minutes movie becomes so interesting and quite please to watch.This is a classic Sci Fi movie without adding any commercial elements to attract all kind of crowed.Writers and Actors justify what we payed for.
  96. Mar 17, 2014
    Great movie. Much better than war of the worlds, good acting from tom cruise.
    A bit horrifying at times, maybe not the best word to use. But, good sci-fi story and movie.
    Great casting all throughout.
  97. Aug 4, 2013
    Great film. Intriguing setting, great scenery. Cruise and Riseborough present the believable life of a repairman and his operator. It's hard to explain, but everything that made Minecraft great is what is so compelling about Jack Harper the solitary job, the castle in the sky, the grandeur of a vast post-apocalyptic Earth.

From this cozy setting, the plot picks up, and Kurlenko shows

From this cozy setting, the plot picks up, and Kurlenko shows some reserve and acting chops that really sells it as the story opens up. Some of the plot twists are predictable, but never convoluted, and the film does a good job of keeping you titillated, but allowing you to figure it out for yourself. There is no narrator or monologue explaining what's going on, the story tells itself in true science fiction fashion.

The soundtrack is great too.
  98. May 13, 2013
    A TRILLION TIMES BETTER THAN IRON MAN 3...It''s sad how movies like this get dwarfed by massive piles of crap movies like iron man 3. This movie was a sci fi work of art. Amazing soundtrack. glorious visuals. a True gem to behold for sci fi fans. If you want a sci fi flick that touches your emotions, watch this. However if your expecting some stupid action, and stupid mindless fun...this isnt it
  99. May 25, 2013
    I'm surprised this movie got such bad reviews, one has to wonder if there isn't some activist voting going on. It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but I love a good sci-fi flick, especially a semi-original one like this. Absolutely worth a rental when it releases on DVD and Blu Ray.
  100. Feb 6, 2014
    Oblivion is an interesting and entertaining movie, but once I figured out what was going on, I felt kind of let down.I guess I just wanted something different, but overall this was a good movie. Always worth Watching when Moran Freeman is part of the cast.

1. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 11, 2013
    Oblivion is a special effects extravaganza with a lot of blatant symbolism and very little meaning. It starts slow, turns dull and then becomes tedious — which makes it a marginal improvement over the earlier film. It features shiny surfaces, clicky machinery and no recognizable human behavior. It's equally ambitious and gormless.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 22, 2013
    In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yet Oblivion is worth the trip. There are two reasons for this. The first is the cinematography of Claudio Miranda.