7.0

1. Apr 20, 2013
    Oh no not another special effects laden film They are the star of the show. Tom Cruise's acting is flat. Perhaps because at 51 his days of playing Top Gun or Mission Impossible roles are behind. I've never found him to have much breadth as an actor, but in the past who he really was at the time has been more consistent with the needs of the roles he played as in Jerry McGuire and RainOh no not another special effects laden film They are the star of the show. Tom Cruise's acting is flat. Perhaps because at 51 his days of playing Top Gun or Mission Impossible roles are behind. I've never found him to have much breadth as an actor, but in the past who he really was at the time has been more consistent with the needs of the roles he played as in Jerry McGuire and Rain Man. We all grow up hopefully. He hasn't adapted Expand
  2. Apr 20, 2013
    The only positive side of this movie is visualization. Gorgeous post-apocalyptic America. The storyline pretends to be something big but it appears to be collected from parts of other sci-fi stories and if you've seen at least Moon 2112. Some of this one's storyline twists will be obvious to you. The (melo)dramatic moments do not seen natural to the other components.
    P.s. and I liked
    P.s. and I liked Andrea Riseborough's role. She was great.
  3. Apr 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tom 'bad acting' Cruise Matrix Moon Oblivion, a movie without flavor, which brings nothing to the scifi genre. It's post-apo but the hero has time to f*ck two chicks just before fight villains, obviously concluded by a happy ending. This movie stolen the name of a good game that does not deserve to be assimilated with it. Expand
  4. Apr 19, 2013
    This film was completely spoiled for me when Cruise takes his shirt off in the swimming pool in one swing. I find this totally unbelievable, I have tried this dozens of times and it is really hard to take off a t-shirt when it is that wet, and I often struggle for several minutes. I am giving it 1 only because Jaime Lannister and God were fighting it out on the same side.
  5. Oct 18, 2013
    One of the worst science-fiction movies of all time. It's dull and uninteresting to the very end. I didn't care once about anything that was going on and couldn't wait for this movie to end. The only good thing about this movie is how good it looks. Truly these are some spectacular special effects. Unfortunately outstanding visual effects amount to nothing when the movie is garbage.

The

The characters and plot are boring and dumb. The latter being filled with cliches and over-used plot threads that have been done time and time again in science fiction movies. The characters are lifeless and unlikable, the worst offender being Tom Cruise's character "Jack". When he's not being completely dull and moronic, he's tossing out groan inducing one-liners like "Yeah, well you should see the other guy". I wanted to see him get shot so badly.

So the plot and characters are unbearable, and unfortunately so is the action and romance. This is a completely terrible film. One of the worst I've ever seen. I don't recommend this movie in the least. "Oblivion" should be cast into oblivion.
  6. Apr 28, 2013
    When you know what is coming next all the suspense disapates and the movie is just so-so. Unfortunately, despite loving science fiction this was a by the numbers of other scify movies of the past. Nothing new and kind of slow to get going. Okay for a rainy day.
  7. Apr 21, 2013
    Seen Oblivion tonight and I mostly enjoyed it. Tom Cruise was good as usual and a nice cameo from Morgan Freeman. The real star of this film though is the amazing visuals. Absolutely stunning and even more impressive than Director Joseph Kosinski's previous movie Tron Legacy. However like Tron the concepts and visuals are great but there just isn't alot of heart to it, with some momentsSeen Oblivion tonight and I mostly enjoyed it. Tom Cruise was good as usual and a nice cameo from Morgan Freeman. The real star of this film though is the amazing visuals. Absolutely stunning and even more impressive than Director Joseph Kosinski's previous movie Tron Legacy. However like Tron the concepts and visuals are great but there just isn't alot of heart to it, with some moments and relationships that are supposed to emotional, and they just aren't. I can see Oblivion being this years Prometheus with a big split in opinion. Expand
  8. Jun 9, 2013
    How slow and redundant can you get for the first 90% and then a solid ending. Was it worth it? No. It has the ending that you wish Star Trek would have had. But sitting through exposition that takes an hour violates everything a audience expects.
  9. Feb 1, 2014
    An inoffensive enough science fiction adventure, not terrible, but not without it's flaws. Oblivion is insubstantial, at its core, it wastes little to no time on the how, why or when and travels from point A to B in a relatively simple manner. Some nice cinematography, costumes and effects help what appears to be a predictable pastiche of every piece of pop sci fi. Worth a watch.
  10. Jun 28, 2013
    Generic Sci-Fi movie with predictable Sci-Fi stuff. I could take it or leave. Maybe watch it if you happen to catch it on TV/Netflix sometime and you don't have anything better in mind.
  11. Apr 27, 2013
    Oblivion is in many ways similar to Tron: Legacy, director Joseph Kosinski's previous film. It's visually beautiful, the design of it is incredible but at times the characters lack anything resembling character. However one way they differ is that Tron Legacy was a mess in terms of its story, the many turns and complex mythology it created made it an incredibly complicated andOblivion is in many ways similar to Tron: Legacy, director Joseph Kosinski's previous film. It's visually beautiful, the design of it is incredible but at times the characters lack anything resembling character. However one way they differ is that Tron Legacy was a mess in terms of its story, the many turns and complex mythology it created made it an incredibly complicated and unintentionally dull picture.Oblivion is a wonderfully original story with eye popping effects. the film is set following a planetary war, a war which results were not the ones the defenders expected. The Earth has been ruined and 50 years later Jack Harper is left behind to maintain machines that are consuming earths few remaining resources. However when the arrival of fellow human Julia derails his routine he begins to question what he is doing on this ruined planet. Oblivion does provide thrills and excitement like a conventional action sci-fi, which is what the trailers implied the audience would get. However the film is much more of a mystery film about the inquisitive nature of mankind and the ultimate power of questioning you place in the world, the power in deciding ones own fate. It's a film that heavily relies upon its visuals so its probably a good thing they are truly breathtaking. The world created in the film is flawlessly realised with the landscape and machines that populate this new version of Earth amazing due to their original presentation. The film, based on Koskinski's graphic novel of the same name has a feeling of been there done that but only because the story is remarkably similar to another recent sci-fi picture, to name that film however would ruin part of this films wonderful mystery. The film central mystery is clever and touching but it does drag in the middle. The film is Cruise's and he is just as good as ever but the standout of the film is Andrea Riseborough who plays Jack's naive assistant Victoria, a woman so intent on leaving this Earth she ignores anything that makes her curious. Riseborough has a wonderful screen presence and her character in Oblivion is both tragic and strong and quite frankly she is the most interesting character in the very limited cast. Kurlyenko continues to shock me with yet another horrific performance, one that would ruin a film like this if she wasn't so unimportant to the films plot and if her character wasn't so thin and lifeless. Always playing the hard woman supposedly suits her but I have yet to see a single film she has impressed in, with To The Wonder showing she can't do soft either (although talking about acting and To The Wonder is like mixing oil and water.). Morgan Freeman is also present as a man Cruise must get answers from but he doesn't really have a character, instead he is a device to introduce plot or elaborate on previously developed plot points. It's a film that only really has two real characters but ultimately it's enough to be satisfied because those two characters are excellent and life the film beyond the Kurlyenko of it all. The film also works because the overall feel of it is so excellent, the finale while predictable is sufficiently inspiring and provides some much needed catharsis to a character who goes through the ringer. A final flashback near the end is the perfect scene addition to make the finale really stand out and leave the film with a extremely satisfying conclusion making it a terrific summer blockbuster, only in April. Expand
  12. May 6, 2013
    A very enjoyable experience with an excellent performance by Tom Cruise. The world is well-crafted and the plot is steady even if it is familiar. The visuals are gorgeous and I love the design of everything, from the firearms to the robots. The script can be pretty cheesy and inconsistent, but there are a lot of unexpected twists and turns. I honestly enjoyed seeing it and would recommendA very enjoyable experience with an excellent performance by Tom Cruise. The world is well-crafted and the plot is steady even if it is familiar. The visuals are gorgeous and I love the design of everything, from the firearms to the robots. The script can be pretty cheesy and inconsistent, but there are a lot of unexpected twists and turns. I honestly enjoyed seeing it and would recommend the film to anybody who wants a good sci-fi flick. Expand
  13. Apr 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oblivion is a potent well-filmed sci-fi movie, but it's not perfect. As with Tron Legacy (also directed by Joseph Kosinski) the world in Oblivion is gorgeous and doesn't lack in little details. Action scenes are gripping and special effects are great. The story itself is quite good and with some neat plot twists, but the movie gets a bit boring in the middle, perhaps, it should've been a bit shorter. Also the ending leaves some questions, like "What in the hell's f**k is that triangular giant space thing and why does it eat planets?" and "What happens to all those remaining Tom Cruise clones on Earth?" But still, the movie is worth watching it at least once, even though Kosinski's previous work was significantly better. Expand
  14. Apr 21, 2013
    Action, not horror-filled life and death choices that etch themselves into your brain (Prometheus). An enjoyable sci-fi movie with good visuals, good future technology, a very good plot (who's in conflict and what they're up to), and action. It's a good, satisfying meal.
  15. Apr 25, 2013
    If you don't like a painfully simplistic and predictable plot and mediocre acting combined with generally good sound and visuals avoid unless you want a good laugh. I did laugh but that's not enough to compensate for the disappointment Oblivion is.
  16. Apr 29, 2013
    These film is the greatest movie that I have seen this year!!! I'm very satisfied with the quality oft the film. It has 4x times higher quality than HD, I like the story, it makes you feel confused a little, but that's the true meaning of making a movie... The beginning, the middle, the ending was very good, it surely a must watch movie!!!
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this film, it's a
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this film, it's a perfect blend acting...
    I hope another kind like this film will be showed up...
    Getting excited for the future of film!!!
  17. Sep 25, 2013
    Boring, confusing, I feel like we've seen this movie before. The story get lost beneath the style and effects and Cruise proves that he only has one character left in his aging repertoire.
  18. Jan 2, 2014
    A duração contribui para que o filme seja uma experiência chata, porém interessante, mesmo assim não deixa de um filme ruim porém bom. Bons efeitos, bons sons, bons efeitos mais mal construído.
  19. Apr 21, 2013
    Overall good movie. Oblivion was well acted, decent story and tied together at the end. The big problem was the pacing killed this movie. It is about two hours long sans previews. But it took awhile to get anywhere. Still a worthwhile watch. But don't get the large drink
  20. Nov 7, 2013
    Nice idea, boring execution. Effect were decent, but this movie feels more like a Tom Cruise showcase than an actual movie. There is potential here for there to be more, but the direction the production team took was just the wrong one. The twists, while clever, were also transparent and further added to the pointlessness of the movie. Adding more questions than answers, an obvious setupNice idea, boring execution. Effect were decent, but this movie feels more like a Tom Cruise showcase than an actual movie. There is potential here for there to be more, but the direction the production team took was just the wrong one. The twists, while clever, were also transparent and further added to the pointlessness of the movie. Adding more questions than answers, an obvious setup for a followup movie.

Overall:
    The movie is OK, and perhaps worth a rental, but don't expect too much out of it. It tries to be more clever than it actually is and I found it mostly boring.
  21. Apr 22, 2013
    Oblivion is a good film but not a great one. It has a great soundtrack, amazing visuals, is a human focused story, has mystery, has suspense, and is entertaining. However it is slow, generic and predictable at times.

Tom Cruise’s latest outing sees him play a drone repair man named Jack living with his communications officer Victoria (Andrea Riseborough) in a jetson’s style home. We see them living happily and healthily in their sterile environment, focused upon their role in securing humanity’s future. They’re service is soon finish where we see Victoria is excited and happy to move on yet Jack is reluctant to leave.

This sets the stage for a mystery that slowly reveals everything. And I mean slowly. When meaningful events occur in the film some were quite surprising and satisfying, then others were underwhelming because you expect them or they’re insignificant. Despite my grievances with the pace of the film and deliverance of events, there is an outstanding part towards the end (you’ll know it when you see it) that was very satisfying, surprising and explains much. It is a strong aspect of the film. When we’re told in dialog the after effects I only wish we got to see it instead. The pacing of the film is both good and bad.

I’m intent on keeping this short as possible; if you like sc-fi you’ll like this film. It is not groundbreaking, is generic at times, has unexplained plot holes, yet is innovative in other areas and is an entertaining movie. I enjoy it nonetheless and believe it is worth watching. It’ll have you talking afterwards too.
  22. Apr 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So Oblivion is a good movie, best I've seen in a while. It starts off with a really good story line. There were a few plot twists and other things. Besides that, it was a good movie, There were a few things that really confused me but in the end, it was great. Last thing, there was a lot of Tom Cruise in that movie, you'll see when you see it yourself Expand
  23. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion stars Tom Crusie as Jack Harper a drone repair man working on a post apocalyptic earth after alien invasion. Things happen and Jack ends up at the centre of events. The action in this film is done well considering the age rating(12A) although it is possible to see where the violence was reduced. I felt the drones had quite a lot of character being faceless robots and all, howeverOblivion stars Tom Crusie as Jack Harper a drone repair man working on a post apocalyptic earth after alien invasion. Things happen and Jack ends up at the centre of events. The action in this film is done well considering the age rating(12A) although it is possible to see where the violence was reduced. I felt the drones had quite a lot of character being faceless robots and all, however the same can't be said of the majority of the supporting cast whom i had a hard time caring at all about losing tension in action sequences and stand off moments. The cinematography in this film at times is brilliant subtly hinting at characters feelings and stand points through the use of glass doors and colour pallets. The colour is also used well during the flashbacks initially being black and white and then in colour as Harper figures out the truth about them. The music in this film sounds great and certainly helps the film out aptly raising for action and quietly disappearing during moments where Harper is alone (after all there isn't any one else around). My biggest gripe with the film was the use of the monologue exposition at the start and end of the film which is pretty much in the trailer so I had heard it at least a dozen times before the film started and didn't help the film off to a good start, it probably could have just been dropped for a visual representation of events or left out entirely as the story is explained again latter on in the film. Rating 6 out of 10 A slightly better than average popcorn action film Expand
  24. Apr 21, 2013
    This movie is mediocre at best, I was not expecting the next Avatar, but the actors lacked emotion, character and nothing really made me care for the actors. The movie was trying to be something its not, trying to portray a deep and moving plot when it was very poorly executed. When you see this movie expect to come out scratching your head and with more questions than answers. TheThis movie is mediocre at best, I was not expecting the next Avatar, but the actors lacked emotion, character and nothing really made me care for the actors. The movie was trying to be something its not, trying to portray a deep and moving plot when it was very poorly executed. When you see this movie expect to come out scratching your head and with more questions than answers. The characters were shallow, the acting was not sound, nothing about this movie was consistent. The movie does however have massive set pieces, but is lacking so much exposition you come in confused and walked out confused. It expects you to know what the hell is going on even though this is its first and last entry into it's "series". The only redeeming quality of this movie had to be the twists, how some may be predictable at times while others make your head spin. This movie lacked exposition, lacked character development, and expects too much from the audience, but does have great set pieces, great twists, and so much potential. A definite watch for Tom Cruise fans. This has been a fine review. Expand
  25. Apr 20, 2013
    Not at all a bad movie, probably worth your time. However no actor in the film stuck me as being amazing (Morgan Freeman played completely the wrong character). The CGI was incredible, especially the drones. All in all a decent film but quite long.
  26. Apr 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A hotch-potch film delivering a hotch-potch of reactions. Fascinating, frustrating, laughable, thought-provoking. The cliches are cringe-worthy; heavy, meaningful, melodramatic pauses and looks make it hard to take it seriously. Many of the ideas have been explored elsewhere: Sam Rockwell in Duncan Jones' study of clones meeting in 'Moon' was more moving and insightful than the displays in Oblivion; Morgan Freeman's attempts at sounding deep and meaningful were difficult to take seriously. The action scenes were fairly entertaining at times but again, largely derivative: a spaceship chase through a narrow canyon: a last minute 90 degree flip through the narrow crevice to escape the chasing drones. However, there were sufficient narrative developments and sci-fi ideas to maintain viewer interest and there was plenty to discuss on the way home. I think the film would have benefitted from having a director other than the story's writer. While a lot of scenes worked well, there were some which should have been left on the cutting room floor and some which should never have been shot in the first place. There wasn't much the actors could do with some of the lines they had to deliver, I certainly couldn't have kept a straight face, but they all gave it a good shot. On the whole, worth the ride but frustrating as I sensed this could have been a classic in the hands of a more experienced director with a sharper screenplay. Expand
  27. May 5, 2013
    I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. The concept the movie presented was intriguing and left me asking more questions, which is what the directors wants the viewers to do. But that's also where the flaw of the movie comes from. There are just so many questions and concepts that I felt could have been explored more thoroughly. The ending felt rushed, and I was left feeling without aI was pleasantly surprised by this movie. The concept the movie presented was intriguing and left me asking more questions, which is what the directors wants the viewers to do. But that's also where the flaw of the movie comes from. There are just so many questions and concepts that I felt could have been explored more thoroughly. The ending felt rushed, and I was left feeling without a sense of closure. None the less, it's worth a watch. Expand
  28. Jun 2, 2013
    This movie should have been titled "Oblivious" instead. Tom Cruise was Oblivious to the tings that was happening around him. The Director was trying to keep you Oblivious and surprise you at the end...Actually,you do end up Oblivious...As to why you SAT THROUGH THIS WHOLE MOVIE!

Oblivion Review Cast and Crew Oblivion is directed by Joseph Kosinski the director of the legendary

Oblivion Review

Cast and Crew

Oblivion is directed by Joseph Kosinski the director of the legendary "Tron Legacy"...that was sarcasm. I have to say this director has a thing for vast emptiness and dark colors. Kosinski must have a fascination with sci-fi and I have to say he has a knack somewhere in his style. Eventually he will get it down and put out a sci-fi classic but Oblivion is not his career-making Gem. Tom Cruise plays Jack, Engineer 52. He is basically the only cast member worthy of discussing because this whole movie was his show. That is actually a good thing. I feel if the movie actually just kept the stupporting cast out of the picture more this would have been a great film. BUUUT the supporting cast are there...Morgan Freeman is Beech, he did good. Other people play other parts and I cannot discuss them without spoiling so let us move on :).

The Story
    Jack, Engineer 52, is part of the clean up crew in a post apocalyptic Earth. Humanity was invaded and won, through the use of nuclear arms. It would be up to Jack to repair drones and explore the wastelands in various vehicles.However, Jack is a bit more intrigued with the land and less intrigued with his mission and starts digging. That is all I can tell you about the story .

The Presentation
    This movie is gorgeous. It looks like Jack is in a post apocalypse. One of the things that made me glad that I was watching this movie in the theaters was its stunning visuals. Tom Cruise is awesome in this movie. His act in Jack Reacher was commical to say the least but in this movie he put on his acting hat. So what is wrong with this movie that triggered my mean statement in my opening? The cast is great, the visuals are stunning, the story is actually very good, but Joseph Kosinski, your PRESENTATION sucks!!!

Take that Kosinski!!!!

Ok...had to let off some steam, let us move on shall we.I had the same issues with "Tron Legacy" this director took a cool ass premise like: (A teen gets sucked into one of the most addictive arcade games in history) and turned it into a bunch of wannabe "Matrix" Here he takes a really cool story that should have been an instant classic and turned it into Boring I had to censor myself because the use of the genre made its way into this movie to become an unnecessary plot point!!! I'm a fan of but that is out of the window in a world that is mostly Fallout 3 without the mutants. It was better when the was between Jack and the planet he didn't want to abandon.
    This movie takes a deep deep blow when it goes from actually intriguing to boring and the ending is a total cop out. Right after an ending that you accept to expect after coping with the bull**** the movie cops out and gives you a generic "Happily ever after" ending. I hate when a movie has everything going for it then a director tries to pull an M. Night Shammywammy on you Forecast...M. Night sucks! he is a terrible director! There is no need to try to keep an audience guessing when you have a story with such an obvious ending. It will only piss us off an hour and forty five minutes into the movie.

Rating

The story and the dedication my Tom Cruise and his supporting cast followed by these amazing visuals are proof that this movie deserves a better rating. I can actually see how some readers may get upset at my rating and argue that this movie was great. I have no problem with long movies but when a movie makes me think that I was watching it for three hours when in fact, I was watching it for two hours and five minutes then something is not right. When the action hit, it hit. When the drama weighs down, it was a little heavy. Yet, entertainment prevails and I was thoroughly bored during some of this film With some better editing this movie could easily be about 20 to 30 minutes shorter and be a ton more entertaining. So I have to say I had my fill well before the third act. Oblivious was as Fattening and Bland as a Gallon of mushy rice!

Bland and Fattening
    (needs more seasoning and too Damn Much!!!)

Quick Trivia
    For the readers who had a chance to sit through the movie. When I mentioned bull****, what was I talking about? What genre doesn't belong in this
    film? First guess gets an honorable mention in a post.
  29. Aug 12, 2013
    the special effects were good but it lacks depth in the story and the script is weak Tom cruises performance was good rather than that the movie is just a waste of time.
  30. Aug 25, 2013
    I like the idea
    this movie is my type of moivie
    I like movies
    that have very few characters
    set in ghost town
    quiet, not many action

I liked the robots,
    robots battle, chase scenes

but really, it was boring
    Morgan Freeman and his allies characters
    Tom Cruise 2 was a very boring character.
    there were no villains.

really boring movie.
  31. Mar 8, 2014
    Even though Oblivion isn't that bad -- with its beautiful cinematography and visually stunning images -- it just seems kind of mainstream.

Story was decent enough I guess, but there were some flaws in it and logic had to be suspended. In fact, at some scenes, I thought I was sitting in Inception! So, some of the flaws include: Morgan Freeman's character. This is the first (and hopefully last) time I will say this... Morgan Freeman was not right for this role, even though he did a good job.

Plot holes.

Too many silence scenes; no enough action scenes.

and finally, illogical scenes and bad editing.

Overall, this was a slightly too long movie that tried to be more than it was, with a mainstream story line, but very visually stunning cinematography.
  32. Mar 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the worst movie I've ever seen. The only reason I saw this movie was because I saw that Morgan Freeman was in it and I was like "Hey Morgan Freeman's in it it couldn't possibly suck really bad" yet it definitely did. My main (emphasis on "main" meaning definitely not limited to) problem with this disgrace of-a-movie is that it makes no sense. I don't know if one can message me on Meta critic but if you can could someone please attempt to explain this movie to me. This is me at the movie:

So there's a guy and he's like a clone i guess? Wait what? Who? How? When? Where? I went to the movie with my mom and it took our brainpower together about 2 days to sort of figure out what this movie was about.
  33. Nov 13, 2014
    "Oblivion" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Good: Solid idea with decent enough execution. The concept at it's core is a good one and there are moments where I was genuinely entertained. While Cruise was merely adequate, Andrea Riseborough turns in a great performance. The Bad: Far too many scenes and ideas are direct rip offs of other films. Even during moments where the film
    "Oblivion" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Bad: Far too many scenes and ideas are direct rip offs of other films. Even during moments where the film starts to get good, the scenes are ultimately ruined by a lack of originality.
  34. Jun 3, 2013
    well its kind of hard to see movies with very few actors in them, this one had very few people. the story line was lacking i taught it was a waste of time.
  35. Sep 20, 2013
    Maybe the ending was a bit of a letdown but the first three quarters of this are a slick, eye-popping sc-fi lover's wet dream. I liked this a whole lot. What the heck is Slant Magazine? Metacritic's scoring is, as so often, head scratching.
  36. Apr 28, 2013
    This film was flawed in a lot of ways. Lots of effects, lots of irrational premises, poor casting, dumb story not well-told. Since AMC doesn't refund money for poor film-making, I sat through it.
    I usually like Tom Cruise movies, but this was one where I actually hoped he'd kill himself.
  37. May 22, 2013
    Great looking but disappointing. There are some great scenes, but the plot is very derivative. A shame cos they got everything else right. SF really needs to find some new tunes. Some clunky dialogue "F**k you Sally" ugh. That being said it's so well executed that it's still ok, preferably on the big screen.
  38. Jun 15, 2013
    I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, however, I thought this movie was pretty good overall with some great effects. The movie had a different feel to it, simple, clean, uncluttered, kind of like the movie Wall-e, but much more exciting, the cgi was excellent also. Most modern day sci-fi or action movies try to cram so much activity into each action scene that it gets chaotic and boring butI'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, however, I thought this movie was pretty good overall with some great effects. The movie had a different feel to it, simple, clean, uncluttered, kind of like the movie Wall-e, but much more exciting, the cgi was excellent also. Most modern day sci-fi or action movies try to cram so much activity into each action scene that it gets chaotic and boring but Oblivion had much of the film cast in wide open, vast wastelands where the action scenes where clear and easy to follow. The plot was simple and intriguing, yet kept you interested throughout. The movie falls a little flat prior to the climax but it was a pleasant surprise to see such a good, yet different sci-fi movie because they just don't make very many good or original ones anymore. I will be in the store the day it gets released on blu-ray to get my copy! Expand
  39. Feb 25, 2014
    Great cinematography and special effects, but those things don't save movies from bad scripts and bobble-heads named Bob. Nor do they save them from bobble-heads named Cruise - Even if he does play a better future man, that he does a Hollywood actor. By the way, in my future, douches won't get to call themselves Cruise, or Edge, or Sting.
  40. Jun 4, 2013
    "Oblivion is no question a visual marvel and features Tom Cruise at his best. But sadly that gets clouded by its overwhelming and confusing plot while all the same running too long and it fails to capture or retain your attention after about the hour mark." C
  41. Apr 24, 2013
    It's yet another post apocalyptic world, this time with Tom Cruise as one of the survivors. His job is to maintain droids that patrol the wasteland, until things happen that set the plot in motion. While the story isn't especially original and the action sequences are only average, the rest is pretty cool. This world has neat futuristic stuff, dazzling scenery and great design. While it'sIt's yet another post apocalyptic world, this time with Tom Cruise as one of the survivors. His job is to maintain droids that patrol the wasteland, until things happen that set the plot in motion. While the story isn't especially original and the action sequences are only average, the rest is pretty cool. This world has neat futuristic stuff, dazzling scenery and great design. While it's 15 minutes too long, it's a scifi treat for the imagination. Expand
  42. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is incredible. I give it like a 9.4 really, but that is not an option. Only one thing, the scene where they for whatever reason decide to roll out the drone and then get attacked once they open the doors (why not wait until night? where were the scouts that caught one drone and sounded the alarm earlier? why not just open the doors and tell it to LAUNCH form where it is inside instead of putting it on a tractor? was a total Hollywood scene just to have people shoot, die, get blown up, win with losses...dumb for an otherwise brilliant movie). The scenery is amazing, the musical score is brilliant, acting phenomenal, story great (yes they did steal a few things from a few games/books/movies (Independence Day seems like the obvious, but there were sci-fi books with this plot even before, like Footfall). All around outstanding movie that should've scored higher than it did. If you like sci-fi, watch this film! Expand
  43. Apr 23, 2013
    This movie both pleased me and irked me. The story was generic, all though I do like this form of story. In fact I actually enjoyed the story. The plot is slowly and subtly leaked to the viewers over time. About 40 minutes away from the end the plot is fully realized. The movie is about two hours ten minutes long, what irks me about this time is that half the movie is pointless travelThis movie both pleased me and irked me. The story was generic, all though I do like this form of story. In fact I actually enjoyed the story. The plot is slowly and subtly leaked to the viewers over time. About 40 minutes away from the end the plot is fully realized. The movie is about two hours ten minutes long, what irks me about this time is that half the movie is pointless travel scenes. These scenes did not build the story nor did they really build suspense. Tons of plot twists, and you have to pay attention to really enjoy it. The movie is not really action oriented, only about 20 minutes are actually devoted to action, the rest is all story. I like these types of movies but in the end the pointless travel scenes really ruined it for me. 5 out of 10 for poor direction but decent story. Expand
  44. Apr 25, 2013
    Oblivion is a hell of a film. It achieves what the Matrix Trilogy attempted to in one movie. A great follow up to his first movie, which was the Tron sequel.
  45. May 6, 2013
    Leaving aside Tom Cruise haters, it is beyond me why anyone would give this movie less than a top mark. It has everything any science fiction buff would enjoy, put together in an outstanding and believable package. The cinematography is outstanding, with the animation well-integrated and an exceptional storyline.

Although substantially different in plot and concept, Minority Report, Tom

Although substantially different in plot and concept, Minority Report, Tom Cruise's most recent science fiction movie, is not as polished or believable, yet garnered an 80 from critics. It would be a shame to believe that Phillip K. Dick is the reason for that rating. Dick is one of the best set piece science fiction writers, but does not reach for or achieve the breadth and vision of Oblivion.

Miss Oblivion in theaters at your own risk. This is one of a handful of movies whose small screen versions lose substantial impact on the small screen.
  46. Oct 9, 2013
    Oblivion totally shocked me. I walked in expecting a forgettable Sci-Fi flick. I walked out with the notion of just having seen one of the best science fiction films of the last ten years. The film really hit base with me; I loved the tone, visual style, soundtrack and the emotional human element. And man oh man... Those action scenes! Oh yes!
  47. May 5, 2013
    The atmosphere is terrifyingly believable for a post-apocalyptic movie compared to other movies of the genre, it's beautiful, but still creepy. The plot is too simple and complicated at the same time by a lack of information that pretends to call into question what would happen in a future controlled by technology.
  48. May 29, 2013
    For my part, I actually walked away satisfied, and then a couple of days worth of thought later. was VERY impressed by this film. There's nothing uniquely original here. especially if you read sci-fi, But, taking queues from Total Recall, The Matrix, Dark City, and Moon, among others, I find it fascinating, and of course, Tom Cruise is almost always enthralling in his action roles. Alot ofFor my part, I actually walked away satisfied, and then a couple of days worth of thought later. was VERY impressed by this film. There's nothing uniquely original here. especially if you read sci-fi, But, taking queues from Total Recall, The Matrix, Dark City, and Moon, among others, I find it fascinating, and of course, Tom Cruise is almost always enthralling in his action roles. Alot of sci-fi writers in particular will argue that your memories make up who you are, and so the end to the film brought it all full circle for me. I loved it. Expand
  49. Aug 17, 2013
    Tom Cruise acting his typical type again. Which isn't bad. But it is getting old now.
    Morgan Freeman hardly has any minutes in the movie, so his name is only in there to attract more people to watch it.
    The story is pretty flimsy and quite predictable. A few moments that seemed to peek my interest story wise, otherwise it was pretty bland all over.
    Setting is alright, CGI nicely done.
  50. Apr 24, 2013
    Glad to see that the user score on this site is about right despite what the critics say. This is an honest sci-fi action movie, not overly pretentious, not trying to seem deep and philosophical when it is not. The story is not something out of the ordinary, but neither it is a standard (as in completely braindead) Hollywood story. It feels like a mix of classical sci-fi movies, but not inGlad to see that the user score on this site is about right despite what the critics say. This is an honest sci-fi action movie, not overly pretentious, not trying to seem deep and philosophical when it is not. The story is not something out of the ordinary, but neither it is a standard (as in completely braindead) Hollywood story. It feels like a mix of classical sci-fi movies, but not in a dumb copycat way. Yes, it left some questions unanswered, but still it worked for me and I was not facepalming every ten minutes which is more what I can say about most of the recent sci-fi movies. And it looks amazing too. Expand
  51. May 1, 2013
    Oblivion was a waste of a good premise. The setting was very well done and the idea was interesting but too many cliched moments, an outright stupid villain, and an especially bad ending drag the whole movie down. I would recommend waiting until it's on Netflix or cable.
  52. Aug 4, 2013
    The definition of "oblivion" is: "the state of being unaware or unconscious of what is happening". It's a blissful state in which the writers of Oblivion must have spent most of their time, and which explains the movie's plot holes, ridiculous dialogues, and badly told story. Only pro: Tom Cruise's flying vehicle sometimes moves beautifully, contrary to the director's camera work which isThe definition of "oblivion" is: "the state of being unaware or unconscious of what is happening". It's a blissful state in which the writers of Oblivion must have spent most of their time, and which explains the movie's plot holes, ridiculous dialogues, and badly told story. Only pro: Tom Cruise's flying vehicle sometimes moves beautifully, contrary to the director's camera work which is just banal, cold, and misses any opportunity he might've had to save such a bad script. Expand
  53. Apr 27, 2013
    Mediocre. Cliched. Forgettable. Tom Cruise movi- ah that explains.

One of the most forgettable bland and altogether average films, that I have the displeasure of watching. Not only it is slow paced, confusing, characters are completely bland, it delivers nothing speculatar that hasn't been seen in other movies. Rent or purchase Independence Day, and save money from this mediocre film.
  54. Sep 6, 2013
    The visuals created by PIXOMONDO studios are just stunning. The storyline introduced in this movie was very fascinating and the soundtrack by M.8.3 just great. A science-fiction thriller of diamond brilliance. Stands with the greatest movies in this genre.
  55. Jun 13, 2014
    Oblivion is a decent sci-fi flick. It has decent acting, a decent plot and decent special effects. Tom Cruise puts on a great show, as usual and so do the supporting actors. Unfortunately, it suffers from something I like to call "WHY DON'T YOU JUST TELL THE OTHER PERSON WHAT'S GOING ON"-dialogue deficiency syndrome.

You see, no one seems to bothered to tell someone what is REALLY going

You see, no one seems to bothered to tell someone what is REALLY going on when they need the information the most. Like say when you're about to kill someone but you want to make them do something for you but instead of telling them what's going on, you just kind of make them guess as to your intentions even though they probably would agree with you right off the bat IF YOU JUST TELL THEM WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW.

Oblivion isn't the only sci-fi movies that seems to suffer from that problem but it's glaringly obvious in at least three very important scenes. For some reason directors think it builds suspense when characters don't open their mouths and internalize everything so that they can justify the violence and special effects that follow next.

That's my gripe with this movie. Other than that, I thought it was quite good. Must-see for any sci-fi fan.
  56. Jan 14, 2014
    With a slow plot loosely held together by lukewarm tension and mediocre acting, Oblivion is a very weak film. Tom Cruise reprises the role he has played for most of his career (that of the cardboard cut-out action hero), and struggles to command much presence as he drags the audience through a short series of plot twists that are either predictable or nonsensical.
    It scores points for its
    It scores points for its undeniably impressive visuals and set pieces while Morgan Freeman adds some much needed charisma but sadly it isn't enough to make me call this film good. The whole thing is a very drawn out underwhelming experience.
  57. Aug 13, 2013
    Oblivion takes elements from a hodge-podge of science fiction films, but still manages to juxtapose them in a way that makes for something vaguely original. Even if the film is paying homage to Moon, Star Trek, and other hints of films/novels that I didn’t even recognize--for example, was there a wink at Cloud Atlas in the plot device where clones think they’re headed for Paradise whenOblivion takes elements from a hodge-podge of science fiction films, but still manages to juxtapose them in a way that makes for something vaguely original. Even if the film is paying homage to Moon, Star Trek, and other hints of films/novels that I didn’t even recognize--for example, was there a wink at Cloud Atlas in the plot device where clones think they’re headed for Paradise when their work shift is over? Nevertheless, despite the similarities to a host of other films, there is something intriguing about the three main characters, Jack, Julia, and Victoria, played by Tom Cruise, Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough. It is Cruise himself who saves the movie from, well, from oblivion, because it is a perfect vehicle for his boyish looks (he looks 30, not 50) and his saintly quality of being a protector and a savior.

The Earth is ravaged by a war started by invading aliens, who were presumably defeated by human nuclear weapons. But the nuclear war ravaged the planet, and the aliens destroyed the moon which wreaked global climate change. The surviving human race has taken up residence on Saturn’s moon Titan, and a few pockets of aliens, called Scavs for scavengers, are still wandering around on Earth trying to prevent the humans from getting the energy they need for Titan from the ocean, whose water is siphoned up through a huge pyramid hovering in the sky.

This is what Jack (Tom Cruise) and Victoria (Andrea Riseborough) sincerely believe. Their job at a remote outpost, which looks like the condo of the future, is to protect the siphoning process with the help of drones that Jack has to repair, daily risking his life whenever he leaves the outpost, while Victoria provides backup at the station and stays in touch with Sally at Mission Control, who masterminds the project. But the truth is that there is no colony on Titan, and the so-called Scavs, led by Morgan Freeman, are all that’s left of the human race. The drones and the pyramid are powered by the triumphant aliens who destroyed Earth looking for new energy resources. Jack and Victoria are lovers, due to a misunderstanding by the Alien Emperor (who takes on the form of Sally from NASA). When Jack and Victoria were captured, it was just the two of them, and a recent photograph with their heads together made Alien Sally think they were shacking up (which she calls being “an effective team”). So all the Jack and Victoria clones are a romantic couple. Jack was in fact married to another astronaut, Julia (Olga Kurylenko), who was released into outer space with the rest of the team just before capture as she slept in suspended animation.

Even though Jack is a clone whose memory has been wiped out as a precaution against capture, he keeps having dreams and memories of Julia. He also finds a little piece of Earth that is still intact, a retreat where he builds a shack, plays records, and collect books and mementos of whatever he can find from the old days. Finally, Julia’s capsule crash lands, the drones close in and destroy the sleeping astronauts, but Jack waves off the drone from Julia’s sleeping chamber. After awakening Julia, his memory keeps getting stronger, but Victoria, back at the condo, is truly a brainwashed clone, and she eventually reports him to Sally and is terminated for her trouble.

The [Icelandic] landscapes are spectacular (and do I see shades of Prometheus?), and though the plot is predictable and perhaps heavily reliant on other sources, it still shines through with a note of redemption, renewal, and faith in the resilience of the human race. And Tom Cruise is the perfect hero to communicate that positive message, a sort of clone in shining armor, if you will--and oh, yes, he’s also really cute.
  58. Jul 27, 2013
    Oblivion is all the things a $150 million movie starring Tom Cruise is nowadays: beautiful to look at, empty visual effects sequences, interspersed with just human emotion not to be totally artificial, all while having a recycled script from an interesting concept not fully developed. Director Joseph Kosinski is in need of making a low-budget passion project to prove his chops beforeOblivion is all the things a $150 million movie starring Tom Cruise is nowadays: beautiful to look at, empty visual effects sequences, interspersed with just human emotion not to be totally artificial, all while having a recycled script from an interesting concept not fully developed. Director Joseph Kosinski is in need of making a low-budget passion project to prove his chops before studios throw another $150 million his way again, as his films (also including Tron: Legacy) have the look and feel of a cologne commercial set in a futuristic video game world. His 2 films have no emotion, depth or artifice. Love the setting in Iceland and the music selection of M83, even using my favorite painting, Andrew Wyeth's "Christina's World", but these are devices that try and distract the viewer from the emotion that Cruise should be exhibiting at any point during the film. I understand it's a director's choice to have Cruise play a restrained, hollow character relearning the value of human emotion, but Cruise was upstaged by everyone he shared the screen with, even the drones. Expand
  59. Xon
    Jul 24, 2013
    This story could easily have been a trilogy or a two part. Most charaters seem two dimensional because everything seems rushed to get the basic story told. However, the scenery is brilliant and I didn't feel the time pass.
  60. Sep 7, 2013
    I was really impressed with this movie. If you like movies like "Moon" then you'll love this movie. Its more for those who appreciate good acting and a enjoy a deep plot and well... are educated, something that most critics here lack.
  61. Aug 5, 2013
    Kosinski creates spectacular looking movies with a slightly uneven narrative. Sure, it's derivative of other sci-fi films of the past, and the first half is boring as hell. But once it gets going, you can't really fault them for not trying to do something 'original'. It's essentially a hardcore, high budgeted sci fi flick. So in a sea of sequels, I can't complain much. However, heKosinski creates spectacular looking movies with a slightly uneven narrative. Sure, it's derivative of other sci-fi films of the past, and the first half is boring as hell. But once it gets going, you can't really fault them for not trying to do something 'original'. It's essentially a hardcore, high budgeted sci fi flick. So in a sea of sequels, I can't complain much. However, he seemed can't get the balance between visuals and narrative just yet. If his films are produced by a much more steadier vet such as Spielberg, then we would have gotten a gem out of this fellow. Expand
  62. Nov 14, 2013
    I found it very enjoyable. The script is simple, but this actually serves the film well, as it functions best as a paced, ambient experience. The images are clean and beautiful, and the film has a unique atmosphere.
  63. Aug 7, 2013
    What an incredible movie. It's really almost impossible to review it in any detail without giving away spoilers but I will say this, Oblivion is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all-time. It isn't over the top, it doesn't try to do too much, it just relies on fantastic acting thanks to protagonist Jack Harper, played by Tom Cruise, along with a fantastic supporting cast and aWhat an incredible movie. It's really almost impossible to review it in any detail without giving away spoilers but I will say this, Oblivion is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all-time. It isn't over the top, it doesn't try to do too much, it just relies on fantastic acting thanks to protagonist Jack Harper, played by Tom Cruise, along with a fantastic supporting cast and a story that is absolutely amazing. The plot developed at a perfect pace for the environment and created a setting that felt genuine throughout. The only flaw was that there were some elements left unexplained, but then again it is a sci-fi movie so it doesn't take too much from the experience. I don't understand why so many critics slammed this movie but they do tend to like weird, artsy fartsy garb and dislike anything resembling a well-made action film. While this movie didn't have much action, it seems like it does from trailers so don't expect a gung-ho modern shooter or anything. If anything, it feels more like a Matrix style film in terms of pace. Regardless, I've said as much as I can say without revealing too much. I think most people would likely agree that Oblivion is a sci-fi epic worthy of the 2 hours. Expand
  64. Dec 26, 2013
    When Tron 2 Screenwriter, Joseph Kosinski, started shopping for a Publisher for his graphic novel, Oblivion, they told him it was so good that he should bring it right to the big screen. Before you know it, some big names signed out and the film was released as a big budget blockbuster. There are a ton of cool gadgets in a story about a futuristic world, that has been destroyed by war.When Tron 2 Screenwriter, Joseph Kosinski, started shopping for a Publisher for his graphic novel, Oblivion, they told him it was so good that he should bring it right to the big screen. Before you know it, some big names signed out and the film was released as a big budget blockbuster. There are a ton of cool gadgets in a story about a futuristic world, that has been destroyed by war. What initially turned me on to this film was the trailer, which show you the technology, but tell you almost nothing about the story. The films description is the same way, it tells you very little and really gets your curiosity going. The story starts by telling us what has become of the world, 65 years in the future. The planet has been destroyed by war and the humans have left the planet for one of Saturn's moons. All that's left is a bunch of technology meant to harvest Earth's resources for the people on Titan. The remaining rebels mean to sabotage this technology and it's the job of Jack and Vicka to repair and protect the technology from the last remaining terrorists. Tom Cruise stars and by now we all know how I feel about Tom Cruise. Fortunatly for Mr. Kosinski, this was a film that Cruise was really into and he does give one of his strongest performance since Minority Report. Cruise is terrific and is the main reason this film works in the beginning. With the extensive back story, it takes a while for anything substantive to happen and that's where Cruise and the unique technology come into play. They carry the film from the shocking beginning into the heart of the story. Once this film gets going it is one of the best pure Science Fiction films to come along in years. To his credit, even though the film is weird and starts out slow, Kosinski wouldn't let Hollywood touch it. The result is an old school type of Science Fiction film, done with modern technology. The geeks will love this movie, but there is also enough of a side stories and some amazing special effects that will help gain the majority of audiences. Oblivion was a terrific ride and something you don't see everyday, I really can't recommend it enough. Expand
  65. Jun 17, 2014
    Great setting, great World, great Visuals, great robotics, the first hour or so is quite good, but after the aliens true identity is revealed, Things start going from bad to worse. Not a very good ending. All in all a mediocre scifi Flick.
  66. Jan 26, 2015
    The problem with this film is not that its cliché and combo of parts from other SF films, its in a way it sets up itself from the very beginning. In the very first 5 min. of the film you can guess all that is going to happen-the main story, the twists, everything. Narration is a cheap way of doing exposition and when there is so much of it, that shows how bad the script is-show me don'tThe problem with this film is not that its cliché and combo of parts from other SF films, its in a way it sets up itself from the very beginning. In the very first 5 min. of the film you can guess all that is going to happen-the main story, the twists, everything. Narration is a cheap way of doing exposition and when there is so much of it, that shows how bad the script is-show me don't tell me.
    Tom Cruise is ok, a little bit hamming it out but its not like he's acting even if great could save the film.
    Olga Kurylenko is an actress similar to younger Sophie Marceau- visually stunning and can have face full of emotions, acting through silence but her character is not convincing here- just a pretty face- did not buying for a second that she's who she claimed to be.
    Andrea Riseborough is a little bit better but even she flats out. Her character is the only one remotely interesting.
    In a triangle of these 3 people it could be an interesting drama even if SF part is bad. But it wants to be an action blockbuster first and there it fails miserably.
    At the end, I liked the art direction, the house, the machines, the visuals, Andreas dress.
    And the music had good cyberpunk/techno beat to it.
  67. Jul 21, 2013
    Oblivion provides stunning visuals and a cinematography that is truly mesmerizing but as the story moves along, all the beauty begins to disappear and your left with a beautiful beginning and a somewhat lifeless ending.
  68. Aug 3, 2013
    Another movie that starts off promising with its solid story and good visuals, but then crashes and burns. Not only is it difficult to follow, it is so uninteresting.
  69. Apr 26, 2013
    a nicve clean sf-movie, fun to watch for the story and simply fun to look at for the style of the cinematography, SF-movies are few and far between (but getting more popular) but this is still a very good example of the genre, not to mention that the role of the lead is a dead ringer for Tom Cruise
  70. Nov 3, 2013
    "Oblivion" is a brilliant-looking movie. The visuals are stunning and the action is pretty well handled. The problem with it is the story. It's too dense and has uneven pacing.
  71. Nov 24, 2013
    This is my kind of movie. It's art design and visuals are amazing and the Sci-Fi story is very intriguing. I also loved the love story of it. It reminded me of Prometheus and Avatar, which I loved too. I've watched it twice now, after the first seating I would've given it a 9/10 but now I see it's more a 8/10. If you love Sci-Fi, do yourself a favour and watch it. NOW. in 1080p 3D!
  72. Jul 29, 2013
    Oblivion, Joseph Kosinski's follow-up feature to Tron Legacy proves again that he is a great visual director. Our desolate planet looks gorgeous and all the tech gear looks very sleek and futuristic. The VFX are used in service of the story and the craftsmanship is absolutely exellent, not one single shot looks fake! People who love and know the magnificent Tron Legacy soundtrack willOblivion, Joseph Kosinski's follow-up feature to Tron Legacy proves again that he is a great visual director. Our desolate planet looks gorgeous and all the tech gear looks very sleek and futuristic. The VFX are used in service of the story and the craftsmanship is absolutely exellent, not one single shot looks fake! People who love and know the magnificent Tron Legacy soundtrack will notice a certain resemblance here, but this is certainly not a bad thing, rather the opposite. The story is sort of a composition of elements you might have seen in other scifi movies, but this is not always avoidable and not really a problem. The style and execution are brilliant so I'm very much looking forward to Kosinski's next film. Highly recommended! Expand
  73. Apr 25, 2013
    Maybe it's because I'm not too well-versed with the sci-fi action genre but I thought the premise of Oblivion was an interesting one, though I can't judge on how "original" it may or may not be. The best element of this movie is easily the visuals, which are very expansive & detailed, especially in the chase & space scenes. The acting for the most part is solid, and the action can beMaybe it's because I'm not too well-versed with the sci-fi action genre but I thought the premise of Oblivion was an interesting one, though I can't judge on how "original" it may or may not be. The best element of this movie is easily the visuals, which are very expansive & detailed, especially in the chase & space scenes. The acting for the most part is solid, and the action can be really engaging. Also, the score is very well-written & effective, which I was honestly expecting since it was done by Anthony Gonzalez, the bandleader of M83, who I personally like. And the plot & writing are actually really good as well... for the first half. The second half is where problems start to arise. (SPOILERS START HERE) First the female lead Victoria becomes completely irrational & melodramatic when Jack explains that Julia was his wife before his memory was wiped (something Victoria somehow seemed to know beforehand) and even goes as far as to endanger his life & kick him out of his job. But then it's once Jack meets a clone of himself in the desert that things really start to crumble. Everything that happens afterwards (especially the parts with Morgan Freeman & his gang) just comes out of nowhere & has no real rhyme or reason to it. It all just feels really underexplained. I heard this was based on a book & that would make sense, since I imagine a lot of the details in the latter half got lost in translation. There's also little plotholes here & there (like why is there a dog just walking around unattended on Earth if all the resources have been destroyed? And what about everything with that island paradise-esque place Jack & Julia would occasionally go to? And how did they have a kid that's a few years old if Julia was the only survivor Jack found & the time between that & the ending scene was just a few days?) that can really take you out of the movie for a second. But like I said, the visuals & overall first half are enough to make watching this worthwhile. 71/100 Expand
  74. Aug 29, 2014
    There are many problems with Oblivion, but ultimately, I am willing to write them off for a couple of reasons. For one, the cinematography is fantastic. The set/production design is brilliant and is captured perfectly by the camera at every turn. The special effects are also very well done. The battle sequences, the weapons, the ships, the everything, all brilliantly thought out andThere are many problems with Oblivion, but ultimately, I am willing to write them off for a couple of reasons. For one, the cinematography is fantastic. The set/production design is brilliant and is captured perfectly by the camera at every turn. The special effects are also very well done. The battle sequences, the weapons, the ships, the everything, all brilliantly thought out and planned. The acting, particularly from Tom Cruise, is also great. The plot itself is a bit hit-and-miss, but as a whole, it is interesting and entertaining enough. However, the plot can get caught up in itself frequently and I felt like it was trying to be deep at times, but kind of missed the mark there. In addition, there are certainly some plotholes as they blend many different science fiction films (Moon being a recent example of one they borrowed from) to make one mishmash of a film. However, luckily, the acting and imagery are great enough to make me ignore those concerns and allow me to lose myself in the film. Not the best film ever, but a damn entertaining one that has some great production elements. Expand
  75. May 22, 2013
    If you haven't let someone spoil Oblivion's late-plot twists for you, do yourself a favor and tell them to shut up while you shell out the cash to catch this one in theaters. The visual and audio effects make Oblivion at least worth the matinee prices, and going in not knowing everything will make its flaws (a few plot holes, a convenient coincidence or two, and an annoying plot deviceIf you haven't let someone spoil Oblivion's late-plot twists for you, do yourself a favor and tell them to shut up while you shell out the cash to catch this one in theaters. The visual and audio effects make Oblivion at least worth the matinee prices, and going in not knowing everything will make its flaws (a few plot holes, a convenient coincidence or two, and an annoying plot device named Bob) well worth overlooking. Expand
  76. Apr 27, 2013
    Its was very forgettable indeed the plot became clear half way through the film. Overall it was very predictable and generic. The movie could have been executed better but the characters were just lacking at times. I wish I could give it a higher score but it is very mediocre when it comes to the plot.
  77. Jul 28, 2013
    First hour is extremely boring and once you closed to last 15 minutes movie becomes so interesting and quite please to watch.This is a classic Sci Fi movie without adding any commercial elements to attract all kind of crowed.Writers and Actors justify what we payed for.
  78. Mar 17, 2014
    Great movie. Much better than war of the worlds, good acting from tom cruise.
    A bit horrifying at times, maybe not the best word to use. But, good sci-fi story and movie.
    Great casting all throughout.
  79. Aug 4, 2013
    Great film. Intriguing setting, great scenery. Cruise and Riseborough present the believable life of a repairman and his operator. It's hard to explain, but everything that made Minecraft great is what is so compelling about Jack Harper the solitary job, the castle in the sky, the grandeur of a vast post-apocalyptic Earth.

From this cozy setting, the plot picks up, and Kurlenko shows

From this cozy setting, the plot picks up, and Kurlenko shows some reserve and acting chops that really sells it as the story opens up. Some of the plot twists are predictable, but never convoluted, and the film does a good job of keeping you titillated, but allowing you to figure it out for yourself. There is no narrator or monologue explaining what's going on, the story tells itself in true science fiction fashion.

The soundtrack is great too.
  80. Aug 1, 2013
    It gets better toward the end. The movie would be better without Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman. There are lots of your typical sci-fi plot twists in the movie but overall not bad for watching during the day by yourself. The plot twists rip off a lot of other movies but at the end of day it was decent scifi entertainment when I wanted some scifi. It could have been much worse.
  81. May 7, 2013
    I'm glad they made a movie like this, I just wish they had hired better people to do it. There's always the potential for sci fi movies to shoot for artistic and fall squarely into autistic, and this is another one of those duds.. story doesn't hold up, visuals and plot are all stolen and a mixed bag, romance is rather week. The acting isn't as bad as you'd think, but they just don't haveI'm glad they made a movie like this, I just wish they had hired better people to do it. There's always the potential for sci fi movies to shoot for artistic and fall squarely into autistic, and this is another one of those duds.. story doesn't hold up, visuals and plot are all stolen and a mixed bag, romance is rather week. The acting isn't as bad as you'd think, but they just don't have much to go on. Pick a theme and run with it, dammit, don't try to cover all your bases so obsessively. Expand
  82. May 13, 2013
    A TRILLION TIMES BETTER THAN IRON MAN 3...It''s sad how movies like this get dwarfed by massive piles of crap movies like iron man 3. This movie was a sci fi work of art. Amazing soundtrack. glorious visuals. a True gem to behold for sci fi fans. If you want a sci fi flick that touches your emotions, watch this. However if your expecting some stupid action, and stupid mindless fun...this isnt it
  83. May 25, 2013
    I'm surprised this movie got such bad reviews, one has to wonder if there isn't some activist voting going on. It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but I love a good sci-fi flick, especially a semi-original one like this. Absolutely worth a rental when it releases on DVD and Blu Ray.
  84. Feb 6, 2014
    Oblivion is an interesting and entertaining movie, but once I figured out what was going on, I felt kind of let down.I guess I just wanted something different, but overall this was a good movie. Always worth Watching when Moran Freeman is part of the cast.
  85. Apr 27, 2013
    Featuring some really great visuals, a stylish soundtrack, and two really good lead performances from Tom Cruise and Andrea Riseborough, the first forty minutes were absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately, Oblivion includes a few too many predictable, unimportant, or borrowed plot twists that really made the film less satisfying than it could have been.
  86. Aug 26, 2013
    Pleasantly surprised at how much better this movie turned out than I thought it would. After seeing the critics blast this movie, I was a little apprehensive about watching it and very nearly didn't.

There isn't anything truly original here, as many have already noted this movie seems to borrow from a lot of other sci-fi movies and put those borrowed elements all together into a visually-beautiful package though I don't necessarily think that's a completely bad thing.

The movie was pretty slow at times, perhaps even tediously so, but the overall constant build-up of tension and action was great. The cinematography definitely shines through with the excellent visuals. I don't really remember the scores so much, but I do remember that they did add life to the scenes and were done well.

Acting was fairly good not the biggest fan of Tom Cruise but he did a decent job. Morgan Freeman can do no wrong, but his character was admittedly not too memorable or striking. Some important side characters weren't developed too well in my opinion, but the main characters and their progression through the movie was excellent.

Plot holes and lack of originality and all, I felt this was still a decent enough movie to warrant seeing on DVD or streaming. Definitely better than what the critics have said about it.
  87. May 19, 2013
    It's like 2001: A Space Odyssey only not written well at all. However besides its confusing atmosphere, Tom Cruise, as usual, has a good performance to make for the plot, and the production and visual masterpiece is mind-blowing.
  88. Apr 23, 2013
    Story has been told before and better in a number of movies. Non original script, plastic characters, boring development. If not for the amazing set pieces and the few action scenes that are done well this would have been a disaster of a film.
  89. Mar 18, 2014
    Let me make this short and to the point. Is this movie good? Indeed it is. Will you remember it in a decade? Probably not. There is nothing mind blowing or necessarily original about this film, but while it may take different aspects of other Sci-Fi media, it manages to execute it in a successful manner. That, in my eyes, makes it a worthy title for the genre when understanding that manyLet me make this short and to the point. Is this movie good? Indeed it is. Will you remember it in a decade? Probably not. There is nothing mind blowing or necessarily original about this film, but while it may take different aspects of other Sci-Fi media, it manages to execute it in a successful manner. That, in my eyes, makes it a worthy title for the genre when understanding that many others like it are not so lucky. I would recommend Oblivion for those who enjoy slower paced Sci-Fi films, but I can not say the same for those who do not. This is not a must see, but when considering that Oblivion does feature a cast of Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman, maybe that is enough to please film goers who do not typically go for these kinds of movies. So in closing, good film, fun casting, but nothing amazing. Expand
  90. Dec 15, 2013
    Visually stunning. Perfect combination of beautiful cinematography and great score (I love the music in this film and especially the main theme, hair-raising). That alone is enough to watch it. They definitely take you into this world. It could have easily been an 8 but the script is a little weak. It started great, the first hour is perfect. But even if I enjoyed and personally liked theVisually stunning. Perfect combination of beautiful cinematography and great score (I love the music in this film and especially the main theme, hair-raising). That alone is enough to watch it. They definitely take you into this world. It could have easily been an 8 but the script is a little weak. It started great, the first hour is perfect. But even if I enjoyed and personally liked the film from start to finish, no one can deny the last part is too cliché compared to how good it started. It also has to be said that it is too inspired in several previous films, or at least it feels like that. The actors are on point (nothing spectacular). Overall, it surprised me, was completely invested and made me think. The thing I love the most in films is when they stay in your mind after they end. And this one did it. Expand
  91. Aug 31, 2014
    "If we have souls, they are made of the love we share... undimmed by time and bound by death." - Jack Harper

Seriously..i expect to be a great movie with these actors.Morgan Freeman, Tom Cruise..but no. Is another CGI movie with no sense.
  92. May 5, 2013
    Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible
  93. Jun 7, 2014
    This movie was amazing to me. The art style was spot on and the story was very well done.

Tom Cruise made you feel like you were part of the struggle during the movie. The plot twist toward the end left me going saying "oh S**t!" Only thing I wish they did better was the ending, the movie was going very strong then all of a sudden, bam.. need to hurry this up guys so lets do a quick

Only thing I wish they did better was the ending, the movie was going very strong then all of a sudden, bam.. need to hurry this up guys so lets do a quick finish.. I felt a little robbed so I couldn't give this movie a 10.. but, still if your reading this.. GO SEE IT!
  94. Aug 2, 2013
    The beautiful scene and imagery did caught me in the seat along with the nice background music. Although I wouldn't consider it as the best, but it's definitely not the worst as there are still some unanswered details left in the movie. Nevertheless it did capture my attention with the twist in story plot. It reminds me of that similar to The Island.
  95. Jul 23, 2013
    It's not original, but it is a really awesome watch. This film is breathtakingly beautiful and the beginning had me thinking 10, but when the main plot starts to evolve there is a problem or two. That being said the plot is plenty good enough to be effective and Tom Cruise does what Tom Cruise does best and that is be a star. It may be a film that takes many aspects from other greatIt's not original, but it is a really awesome watch. This film is breathtakingly beautiful and the beginning had me thinking 10, but when the main plot starts to evolve there is a problem or two. That being said the plot is plenty good enough to be effective and Tom Cruise does what Tom Cruise does best and that is be a star. It may be a film that takes many aspects from other great sci-fi films, but it does it very well. A Expand
  96. Jul 26, 2013
    A lovely visual experience, and a great science fiction movie. Its story is quite predictable, but is still intriguing and the viewers curiosity is maintained throughout the movie.

It's not non stop action, which is a good thing. Instead it delivers a chilling sci-fi mood. Highly recommended!
  97. Apr 25, 2013
    I mean what can I say not really the best syfi film but probably one of the most entertaining. Tom Cruise was eh...I only really like his Mission Impossible films but this was eh good 6. I mean I just dont have the words. All I can say is I expected more from seeing the trailer ever 3-4 commercial breaks on every channel I turn to. I just hope After Earth is better.
  98. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This has got to be one of the greatest films I have seen. Yes, I know the story is a re-hash of 1980s sci-fi flicks like Blade Runner, but still, Tom Cruise performs very well, and so do the supporting actors. My only complaint is when Tom Cruise goes to the Tet to see Sally, she looks like HAL 9000. I think that is a bit of a rip-off from 2001: A Space Odyssey, but other than that, it is a very beautiful action/sci-fi flick. Expand
  99. Apr 26, 2013
    Its an interesting concept, but lacks real depth. It felt like there was a message in there, but it wasnt very clear. The plot twists are excellent however. Its worth renting definitely.
  100. Apr 23, 2013
    The plot felt like chunks of Logans Run, The Island, Moon... the production values were great, the set design was sleek, the soundtrack by M83 reminded me in bits of Vangelis work from Blade Runner... Tom Cruise was being Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman doing his wise old guy that knows whats really going on... the plot was pretty underwhelming, the acting was like an old director of mine usedThe plot felt like chunks of Logans Run, The Island, Moon... the production values were great, the set design was sleek, the soundtrack by M83 reminded me in bits of Vangelis work from Blade Runner... Tom Cruise was being Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman doing his wise old guy that knows whats really going on... the plot was pretty underwhelming, the acting was like an old director of mine used to say "talking props"... the summer movie season is here... this film is for popcorn consumption and hot-sun avoidance purposes... and about 30 minutes too long (didn't need to go to cabin with Olga before final act) Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 11, 2013
    Oblivion is a special effects extravaganza with a lot of blatant symbolism and very little meaning. It starts slow, turns dull and then becomes tedious — which makes it a marginal improvement over the earlier film. It features shiny surfaces, clicky machinery and no recognizable human behavior. It's equally ambitious and gormless.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 22, 2013
    In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yet Oblivion is worth the trip. There are two reasons for this. The first is the cinematography of Claudio Miranda.