7.0

1. May 8, 2013
    I joined metacritic just so I could write this review. This was possibly the one of the worst movies I have ever seen--boring, disjointed. Technologically, it was good, but the movie and the plot were bad, bad, bad.
  2. May 12, 2013
    When people write a review for the movie and give it a zero, you must ask yourself what is the motive? To be realistic very few movies deserve this rating, especially a movie with Tom Cruise & Morgan Freeman I think this was a very good science fiction movie, so many people can not be wrong...
  3. May 12, 2013
    It is visually incredible and the finale is very unexpected and tom cruise is incredible but in some parts is slow. Is a movie for be see in the cinema
  4. May 12, 2013
    I am thinking that film critic underrated the sci-fi film "Oblivion" and over time the film will be credited with being a classic in the sci-fi genre by film critics. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and think it is one of the best films this year. It is a visual feast with outstanding production values in all aspects of film making and hope that more people will get out to see it before it is buried by lesser efforts. Put aside your dislike of Tom Cruise and get out to see the film. I understand that if their is to be a sequel it all depends on its Box Office success. Expand
  5. May 19, 2013
    The bad Tom Cruise acting got annoying at points but had a mostly enjoyable plot but I find some of it to be too romantic. The actual action scenes are well done, bit I would of liked to see more Morgan Freeman. I fell like it's more of a women sci-fi because of the over-done "Tom Cruise Feel".
  6. May 25, 2013
    OBLIVION

Oblivion takes place in the year 2077. Earth has all but been destroyed by a major war between mankind and alien invaders. Jack Harper (Tom Cruise), a drone repairman, must question everything he knows upon the events that take place two weeks prior to his assignment coming to an end.

The film starts out a little slow, but builds with suspense as it goes. It drags a little
    here and almost seemed like it was 3 hours long even though the run time is listed at 126 minutes.

The acting was okay, given the subpar dialogue and cheesy moments. Tom Cruise was his usual self and Morgan Freeman added a nice, but small touch. I didn't really have my expectations too high going into this movie and that set me up for a pleasant surprise. I found the story to be compelling and although not the most unpredictable or original, I couldn't help but to sit back and enjoy the ride.

The best thing about this movie were the special effects and sound editing. I must say they were fantastic throughout the entire film and made the film worthwhile. This is a fun movie and I believe most audiences will find themselves enjoying it for the most part.

If you liked iRobot, Moon, or Promethius, give this movie a try.

My Grade for this film: B

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  7. Aug 19, 2013
    ITALIANO Semplicemente fantastico, uno dei film sci-fi più belli degli ultimi tempi secondo me. Geniale la trama, ottimi effetti speciali e gran finalone con tanto di spiegazione di tutte le domande che ci si pone durante la visione. Finalmente un gran bel film, dopo la guerra dei mondi (sempre con Tom Cruise) un altro grandissimo dvd da aggiungere alla collezione. Cruise anche in questo film si dimostra a parere personale uno dei più bravi attori di sempre, caratterizzando ed inpersonando un personaggio che davvero in pochi avrebbero potuto far rendere come lui. FILM STUPENDO! Expand
  8. Aug 18, 2013
    I don't understand how this movie Metascore can be only 54.
    Unoriginal? Flaws? Maybe...if you analyze this movie after having watched it. But if what you look for is entertainment, this is a great movie to watch. It may have flaws but they don't weight much on the pleasure to watch it, if you let yourself immerse in the story and the events the movie put you in.
    It works good and I am
    sorry I missed it at the cinema. Expand
  9. Jun 2, 2013
    This movie should have been titled "Oblivious" instead. Tom Cruise was Oblivious to the tings that was happening around him. The Director was trying to keep you Oblivious and surprise you at the end...Actually,you do end up Oblivious...As to why you SAT THROUGH THIS WHOLE MOVIE! Oblivion Review Cast and Crew Oblivion is directed by Joseph Kosinski the director of the legendary "Tron Legacy"...that was sarcasm. I have to say this director has a thing for vast emptiness and dark colors. Kosinski must have a fascination with sci-fi and I have to say he has a knack somewhere in his style. Eventually he will get it down and put out a sci-fi classic but Oblivion is not his career-making Gem. Tom Cruise plays Jack, Engineer 52. He is basically the only cast member worthy of discussing because this whole movie was his show. That is actually a good thing. I feel if the movie actually just kept the stupporting cast out of the picture more this would have been a great film. BUUUT the supporting cast are there...Morgan Freeman is Beech, he did good. Other people play other parts and I cannot discuss them without spoiling so let us move on :).

The Story
    Jack, Engineer 52, is part of the clean up crew in a post apocalyptic Earth. Humanity was invaded and won, through the use of nuclear arms. It would be up to Jack to repair drones and explore the wastelands in various vehicles.However, Jack is a bit more intrigued with the land and less intrigued with his mission and starts digging. That is all I can tell you about the story .

The Presentation
    This movie is gorgeous. It looks like Jack is in a post apocalypse. One of the things that made me glad that I was watching this movie in the theaters was its stunning visuals. Tom Cruise is awesome in this movie. His act in Jack Reacher was commical to say the least but in this movie he put on his acting hat. So what is wrong with this movie that triggered my mean statement in my opening? The cast is great, the visuals are stunning, the story is actually very good, but Joseph Kosinski, your PRESENTATION sucks!!!

Take that Kosinski!!!!

Ok...had to let off some steam, let us move on shall we.I had the same issues with "Tron Legacy" this director took a cool ass premise like: (A teen gets sucked into one of the most addictive arcade games in history) and turned it into a bunch of wannabe "Matrix" Here he takes a really cool story that should have been an instant classic and turned it into Boring I had to censor myself because the use of the genre made its way into this movie to become an unnecessary plot point!!! I'm a fan of but that is out of the window in a world that is mostly Fallout 3 without the mutants. It was better when the was between Jack and the planet he didn't want to abandon.
    This movie takes a deep deep blow when it goes from actually intriguing to boring and the ending is a total cop out. Right after an ending that you accept to expect after coping with the bull**** the movie cops out and gives you a generic "Happily ever after" ending. I hate when a movie has everything going for it then a director tries to pull an M. Night Shammywammy on you Forecast...M. Night sucks! he is a terrible director! There is no need to try to keep an audience guessing when you have a story with such an obvious ending. It will only piss us off an hour and forty five minutes into the movie.

Rating

The story and the dedication my Tom Cruise and his supporting cast followed by these amazing visuals are proof that this movie deserves a better rating. I can actually see how some readers may get upset at my rating and argue that this movie was great. I have no problem with long movies but when a movie makes me think that I was watching it for three hours when in fact, I was watching it for two hours and five minutes then something is not right. When the action hit, it hit. When the drama weighs down, it was a little heavy. Yet, entertainment prevails and I was thoroughly bored during some of this film With some better editing this movie could easily be about 20 to 30 minutes shorter and be a ton more entertaining. So I have to say I had my fill well before the third act. Oblivious was as Fattening and Bland as a Gallon of mushy rice!

Bland and Fattening
    (needs more seasoning and too Damn Much!!!)

Quick Trivia
    For the readers who had a chance to sit through the movie. When I mentioned bull****, what was I talking about? What genre doesn't belong in this
    film? First guess gets an honorable mention in a post.
  10. Jun 2, 2013
    Oblivion is an incredible movie. Not only are the visuals stunning, but the story is beautiful and all the plot-lines are tied up by the end of the movie. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman play their parts excellently, and the soundtrack is a masterpiece. Would highly recommend to anyone, especially fans of 70's and modern science fiction.
  11. Aug 8, 2013
    picked up the latest Science-Fiction epic Oblivion. Sometimes I get a little worried buying a movie sight unseen but this time it certainly did not disappoint! The movie stars Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman and was directed by Joseph Kosinski and based on his graphic novel of the same name. The movie is one of the apocalyptic films which displays the planet earth after it has been destroyed by aliens.

I have decided this will be a spoiler free review because I think this is a movie you really need to see for yourself and to see it unfold before you. I will give a basic synopsis of the plot. It is the year 2077, 60 years after earth was invaded by aliens. Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) and his partner Victoria "Vika" Owen, played by the beautiful Andrea Riseborough, are the only ones on after the invasion and they are there to repair drones that are fighting off the residual alien resistance. The surviving inhabitants of earth are living on Titan one of the moons of Saturn. Harper meets up with Malcolm Beech a resistance fighter played by the legendary Morgan Freeman (one of my very favorite actors) and he also begins to have flash backs to a time he was with a woman on the Empire State Building prior to the alien invasion. Things begin to unravel and we begin to see that appearances can be deceptive.

Pros: The cinematography and special effects are stellar. This movie is great eye candy but you do not get an overdose of it. The acting is great and two of my favorites, Cruise and Freeman, are in this film and do a fine job. This is my first time seeing Andrea Riseborough and I enjoyed her performance. She portrays a sense of vulnerability while also wanting to stay in denial concerning the things Jack is discovering. I do like the story. Some of the criticisms I have read that there are plot elements that we have seen in other movies. While I can agree with that assessment, I can also see that this is common in Hollywood movies. I am fine with movies that may have similar plot elements to other movies as long as it is executed well and that is the case with this movie. I also enjoy the story. The movie mixes romance, mystery and action adventure into a tale that will keep the viewer engaged and caring about all the characters throughout. Despite great special effects this is a very character driven movie.

Cons: I really have only one minor complaint. Director Kosinski wanted this movie to be an homage to the science fiction films of the 70s and in many way he succeeds in that endeavor. The movie is paced more like a film from the 70s and it is slower than the more kinetic pacing we modern viewers and grown accustomed to. Is that a fault of the directors or is it a fault of the viewer? I will place blame on myself. We live in a fast paced mircowave society that wants instant gratification. So it was hard to slow down and get absorbed into the story. I just wasn't used to it. So really this is not a con, it is just something that the viewer needs to be aware of when going in to the movie. It is an old-fashioned movie and as I think more on the pacing, it really does work even though some viewers might not be used to it.

This movie does have some good re watch capabilities for me. As a mystery there are clues throughout the movie and on more than one viewing you can pick up on these clues. In an era where science fiction films are heavy with CGI and are like cotton candy for the mind, this one is not. It will make you think and keep you on your toes.
  12. Jun 14, 2013
    Could've used more back-story, but all in all, I was entertained and it held my attention. Cruise played himself, as he usually does no matter what the role, but he fits well in this film. The story is not the most original, but feels more original than most sci-fi/action flicks these days. Gorgeous CGI. Not a movie I'd buy, but I don't regret seeing it either.
  13. Jun 18, 2013
    This is an excellent movie in the sci fi genre. The plot is interesting and intriguing, the sets and costumes are great, the photography and action are very good, and the music is fine. This film would have received a much better rating from the critics if Tom Cruise was not in it. They hate him so much that it affects their judgement, and they do not even hide it. I'm not a supporter of scientology and I admit that Tom Cruise is not the greatest actor. However, he is good enough for those movies. I thik that we must separate the persons from the films. If we gave low ratings to films based on stupid things that actors, directors, or writers had said or done, we would trash a lot of movies. Expand
  14. Jul 4, 2013
    Many people have addressed that the film seems almost, “routine" in a sense, because many of the themes portrayed in the film are reminiscent to those from other films before it. However, these criticisms go very far and completely state that “there is nothing special about this film, it’s a blatant rip off of hundreds of sci-fi films before it." I have to disagree.

There is much to
    love about oblivion, in fact, it’s first half has possibly some of the most creative aspects of a story and setting I've seen. Expand
  15. Jun 18, 2013
    I give this movie a 7 for one reason, the visuals. The visuals in Oblivion were absolutely stunning, no doubt. Story line was pretty good. Acting, not bad. Delivery? Meh, could have done much better. Spent too much time explaining the setting than actually telling the story. By that I mean the first 2/3 of the movie is used to set up the last 1/3. Best part of this movie is the end. you Sally.
  16. Sep 14, 2013
    There is nothing new under the sun, or so said Abraham. Movie fans had better get used to it. While there are a lot of familiar themes in Oblivion, they are all blended together in such a way to still surprise and audience. I found myself connecting with the main characters, even with little time or depth of dialogue to do so and was touched by the relationships and situations they found themselves in. There are many surprises to be had, much dramatic tension and some exciting action sequences. I'm putting this movie on my Buy list and I don't do that with many. Oh and yes there are underlying philosophical discussions in this film. It's a theme that was found in great works such as Blade Runner, you just have to be able to recognize it. Expand
  17. Jul 21, 2013
    Oblivion is one of the best movies I've seen this year. I really enjoyed the cgi effects, story kept me curious, acting was really great, acting was awesome. If you're looking for a great Sci-Fi movie, Oblivion is the best choice.
  18. Aug 30, 2013
    It's a very mediocre movie. The very last pictures of Tom Cruise are not good. He has grown up a bit and my opinion is that he has to stop acting now!!!!
  19. Jul 26, 2013
    I expected more and I was disappointed. The story and visuals are ok but it can't compensate for the bad acting. Tom Cruise can't even manage the right facial expression for "No!" and "What?!". Watch this late at night and it will improve your chances of falling asleep.
  20. Aug 15, 2013
    I went into this one with no real expectations but I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. The film stars and ends great (but the middle drags slightly) and the story is pretty awesome. Tom Cruise is fantastic in his role and the special effects and sound are second to none! Very entertaining!
  21. Jul 29, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie. I came to it with high expectations which normally kills a movie dead for me, but this didn't disappoint. 10 minutes in I was already riding the wave of beautiful visuals, stunning conceived technology and more than capable acting. I really enjoyed the story line path as it opened questions, invited possible answers and really left a good feeling at the end. On a slight critical note the story did also create and leave a number of open ends that could cause the story problems which I wont mention here as may spoil the story if you haven't seen it. But this is all forgiven... I look forward to watching this again..... and again....and again.... Expand
  22. Aug 2, 2013
    I loved this movie, I was totally immersed from start to finish. I have to tip my hat to M83 for their original score as well, it says a lot about a movie when you want to buy the soundtrack after watching it. I can't say enough about this film, it is definitely a must see.
  23. Nov 4, 2013
    Watchable? Definitely. Enjoyable? Sure. Applaudable? Hardly. Tom Cruise delivers, as does Morgan Freeman, and the story is solid. The cinematography is great, even if the world is bland. But while the film succeeds in some respects, in most, it just leaves you with great longing for the sic-fi films of old, that grow more flawless through the years (alien, the matrix, district 9).
  24. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So what mainly happens in this movie is a robot alien that looks like a triangle kidnaps 2 astronauts and multiplies them thousands of times erases their memory and makes them believe they fight to save humanity... one of the clones meets his wife and he remembers... obviously he than sacrifices himself and saves the world... but don't worry the poor lady has 1000 other clones to be with so it's not really a loss...

I give it 3 points for the super awesome landscapes there... it's really nice and cool the portrayal of the post apocalyptic world...still... the movie it overrated...
  25. Aug 6, 2013
    I was board throw the hole movie! You are waiting more than half of the movie for something to happen. And bad pilot too. The movies used to be good but now every one tries to spice up movies and they suck.
  26. Aug 12, 2013
    the special effects were good but it lacks depth in the story and the script is weak Tom cruises performance was good rather than that the movie is just a waste of time.
  27. Aug 12, 2013
    I think the critics have been too hard on this one. Stunning cinematography, soundtrack, Olga Kurylenko, and a plot that isn't completely predictable. Getting Tom Cruise involved may have been a mistake (he's something of a ridiculous person these days), but if you like dystopian sci-fi, you'll like Oblivion.
  28. Aug 18, 2013
    Deja-vu much? This sci-fi failed to excite me. I loved the idea of Tom Cruise, but I had a hard time enjoying this one. The plotline was cliche, oh so cliche. Throughout the movie, I sat there thinking... I've seen this movie before.
  29. Aug 22, 2013
    This movie...just was not good. Sure, the special effects were great, but that doesn't hold the movie up. The plot, the acting and the actors hold the movie up. Tom Cruise's acting was just bad. Morgan Freeman should not have been in this movie. The plot's full of holes, it takes twists that don't make sense or don't help with the plot in any way. This was disappointing, purely and simply.
  30. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Movie was awesome. Graphics were nice and acting good. Almost shed a tear. Better than twilight. Don't let computers get too powerful is the moral of the story. Expand
  31. Sep 20, 2013
    I just enjoyed it. I was not looking for perfection, nor did I expect it. The movie does not present anything really new or ordinary which is fine. It is visually stunning. The world that they present (the house, the gadgets, the earth) is cool. The acting is acceptable. The story also kept me interested an entertaining movie. Enjoy.
  32. Aug 25, 2013
    I like the idea
    this movie is my type of moivie
    I like movies
    that have very few characters
    set in ghost town
    quiet, not many action

I liked the robots,
    robots battle, chase scenes

but really, it was boring
    Morgan Freeman and his allies characters
    Tom Cruise 2 was a very boring character.
    there were no villains.

really boring movie.
  33. Sep 1, 2013
    I'm not saying it's horrible, I'm not saying that is bad, because of the beautiful scenery, the fantastic soundtrack, but it lacked the "plus" that makes you say that yes ...
    Nevertheless, I do not want anyone to talk about it.
    Everyone look and decide for yourself!
  34. Feb 12, 2014
    Oblivion: One of the most boring films of 2013. The best thing about the film were its visuals, the movie actually looks very pretty in terms of visual effects even though most of the movie is set in a wasteland earth. Everything else though is absolute garbage, the story is so crap that a 6th grader could have written it and none of the characters were likeable at all. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman do what they can with the roles they have been given, but they end up being ok amongst all the other stiff characters. To put it nicely, Oblivion is a boring, pretty and awful movie. Expand
  35. Sep 5, 2013
    While it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage to science fiction films.", according to the director, Joseph Kosinski. Personally, I feel it was one of the best films I had ever seen. An interesting, engaging story. I loved Tom Cruise as Jack Harper! I think they should make a prequel, to address certain plot holes that weren't answered and to build on the story. Worth your money, at least.

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.
  36. Sep 2, 2013
    Picked this movie up at Hastings. I was on the lookout for a good movie and I found one. The movie is a tad slow and I wish they wouldn't mumble so much as I felt I missed key clues but at the same time its gripping. Its a puzzle box that hooks you and compels you to open it and find out its secrets. The only way to do this is to continue watching the movie.
  37. Sep 8, 2013
    A beautiful and fascinating film full of mystery and action. This movie creates a unique and very believable future for planet earth. Right off the bat, you get the sense that every detail has been carefully thought through. With every intriguing element of this dystopian future you feel yourself get drawn in more.

You do get a sense that this movie is trying to leave a big impression
    that it only just falls short of, but the story is strong, the surprises are interesting, and you genuinely care about the characters. Expand
  38. Sep 14, 2013
    I felt motivated to give this movie a review because of how critics were downgrading it,sure it was confusing in the details,and maybe it copied a lot from other movies,mabye tom cruise showed lack of emotion,but who really cares,it was great movie,great story,a movie I watched twice
  39. Mar 8, 2014
    Even though Oblivion isn't that bad -- with its beautiful cinematography and visually stunning images -- it just seems kind of mainstream.

Story was decent enough I guess, but there were some flaws in it and logic had to be suspended. In fact, at some scenes, I thought I was sitting in Inception! So, some of the flaws include: Morgan Freeman's character. This is the first (and hopefully
    last) time I will say this... Morgan Freeman was not right for this role, even though he did a good job.

Plot holes.

Too many silence scenes; no enough action scenes.

and finally, illogical scenes and bad editing.

Overall, this was a slightly too long movie that tried to be more than it was, with a mainstream story line, but very visually stunning cinematography.
  40. Feb 18, 2014
    I can't think of a movie I've seen recently which has been more unfairly reviewed. Oblivion has been called dull, overlong and the performances lacking in humanity. When you follow the plot of the movie through to the end, you will realise how ludicrous the last charge is. This film is a stunning homage to 70s sci-fi - but pre-Star Wars 70s sci-fi. So if you're looking for trash compactors, and trash-talking space princesses look elsewhere. Oblivion paints an epic landscape of barren post-apocalyptic wastelands, the sleekest technology populated only by an odd Adam-and-Eve pairing - sensual but alienated. All becomes clear in the fullness of time, and the mystery unfolds, deliciously, I think. There are themes here, the most obvious being ecological, but also in relationship to the role of memory in identity. For some there may be too many long shots and musings between the set-pieces, but these too are beautifully shot and nicely set up. Expand
  41. Sep 21, 2013
    If I could I would give this movie 5 & 1/2 stars, but Metacritic doesn't allow you to do that. I felt that this movie was pretty solidly average, maybe a slight bit above.
    Oblivion is set 60 years after the Earth's destruction in 2017. The story is that these aliens called "Scavs" invaded the Earth and humanity's only choice was to nuke itself. The remaining survivors are living in a
    space station hovering above the Earth called the "Tet". Jack Harper and his partner Victoria are basically maintenance workers who are remaining on Earth to maintain drones that protect big "oil rig" type of machinery, which are sucking up the Earth's water to convert in to fuel for the humans, supposedly. They have two weeks left before they can join the rest of the human survivors and head to start a new colony on one of Jupiter's moons. Repetitious, mysterious dreams that Jack has, as well as several unexpected discoveries reveal to him that not everything is as it seems. Disaster ensues!
    Oblivion's plot promises a lot of excitement, which is why I ended up watching it. Personally, I found it to be somewhat, well, not "slow" exactly, but a bit dull. Maybe I just don't find Tom Cruise to be a very exciting actor. He's very good at being gruff and monotone. Additionally, at a certain point, the outcome of the story becomes way too predictable, which was why although the plot was something that could have been very original, in the end you kind of feel like you're watching a 2001: A Space Odyssey wannabe. But, I do give the movie credit for visual-awesomeness. The designs of the ships, drones, space station, etc., are all very visually-pleasing. Moreover, I thought it was very cool how they gave hints of the "old Earth" in the landscape that you could catch while watching and realize what it was. (For example, the top of the Empire State Building, the flame from the Statue of Liberty's torch, etc.) Sadly, I think this is a problem with most films coming out these days: no problem with eye candy, but lacking in plot.
  42. Oct 19, 2013
    When I first saw the trailer I thought it was going to be another tom cruise movie. But this one was different. All the strangeness between the two members of the effective team, his dreams about an unknown woman... I found myself strugling to find out the truth. I loved the twists and the image quality, as well as the characters acting. I only feel that some of the secondary characters development is missing. A good film, in my opinion Expand
  43. Mar 23, 2014
    Oblivion is what a good science fiction film should look like - sleek, stunning, and incredibly beautiful. The effects are just the right amount of set/props and CGI, the camera work is excellent and captures both the most intimate and epic moments, and just in general there are plenty of landscapes and shots in the film that make you say "Wow".

Where the film falters a bit though is in
    its story.

While the cast is small and talented (this is Tom Cruise's best most recent work) and the script focused the movie suffers from numerous pacing issues, avenues left unexplained or unexplored, a few predictable twists, and some questionable "stereotypical" sci-fi tropes.

However I think what really undermined the film was that the trailer gave away a "twist" that takes up nearly half the movie - thus making it impossible to feel the mystery and thrill that it clearly wants you to.

Either way Oblivion is a solid contemporary science fiction film that offers something unique and sorely missed in today's tired guns-blazing space epics.
  44. Nov 28, 2013
    Oblivion's script is written badly, spoiling its plot and confusing audiences. However, it is rescued by its Tom Cruise's strong acting and its dazzling visuals.
  45. Feb 13, 2014

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.
  46. Dec 13, 2013
    actually had to sign up for metacritic so I could post this. for all the hatters out there, critics (to our left) who are as optimistic as a South Philadelphian sports fan, or people who just can root for Tom Cruise anymore... this was an amazing movie but just not just visually, storytelling as well. One of those movies where you can't wait to find out whats around the corner while mentally crossing your fingers while you hope the story doesn't end. its got a little bit of everything, and it a hero story, the best kind. I know the real "critics" have to work from pessimism up (like dissing your government while you sit around and do nothing) but they're should be this type of reviewing section where some of us who aren't that jaded and numb to something original (and yes I do see similarities from other movies...we all live on this planet together) love to root for the hero, even if he once slide across a floor in his boxers... so for real, for once...stop hating.
    go into a movie with no expectations,little to/no previews (yes that is possible), and one day you might enjoy a movie again... almost like it was the first one you remember. BOOM 10.
  47. Dec 19, 2013
    For a big budget Hollywood sci-fi film, Oblivion is a respectable, entertaining crossover of the 'alien invasion' and 'post-apocalyptic' genres. Tom Cruise does a good job in his role, although his performances rarely vary from role to role. Speaking of playing the same role, Morgan Freeman is a great actor, but I honestly get tired of seeing him in pretty much every other film playing almost the same type of character. There had to be someone less cliche and more suited for this role than him. Expand
  48. Dec 28, 2013
    I spent about half of Oblivion thinking about all the superior sci-fi that this movie borrows story elements from, and the other half just downright confused.
  49. Jan 7, 2014
    I think this is a seriously underrated movie. Sure it didn't have the best script, but it wasn't THAT bad. And sure it borrowed from other movies a fair amount, but it did so effectively, rather than just seeming like it was blatantly stealing. Besides, most of the storyline was fairly original. The best part of the movie are the stunning visual effects, especially shots of the Tet and the shattered moon in orbit, and the drastically altered landscape. Expand
  50. Jan 23, 2014
    An enjoyable enough film for sci-fi fans. The setup is interesting, but the plot gets a little hackneyed as the movie goes on. The cast is solid and Tom Cruise does his best Tom Cruise impression. Some of the visuals are quite striking, the action scenes are good, and the soundtrack is always epic (sometimes too much so). A fun movie to watch if you like sci-fi.
  51. Jan 16, 2014
    I opened a metacritic account just to come here and vent a little about this movie, which I just finished watching. To put it subtly, "Oblivion" was a steaming pile of horse manure, not unlike that which was dumped today in front of the French parliament building. These Scientologist creeps need to quit making post-apocalyptic heaps of dung like "Oblivion" and "After Earth", which I didn't even see and won't now that I've lost two hours of my life to the husk of an actor that was Tom Cruise and his pair of helpless, flat leading ladies. Good thing men are always around to save the useless women in this movie! Women do NOTHING but sit by helplessly until at one point one of them picks up a gun and in spite of being a military-trained flight officer, fumbles with it and finally requires a penis to come save her. I guess by saying the premise of this movie is STUPID I'm also saying that Scientology is stupid, so there: go ahead and watch "Oblivion" if you think you're going to live forever and have the hours to spare, because you'll NEVER get that time back. Expand
  52. Mar 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the worst movie I've ever seen. The only reason I saw this movie was because I saw that Morgan Freeman was in it and I was like "Hey Morgan Freeman's in it it couldn't possibly suck really bad" yet it definitely did. My main (emphasis on "main" meaning definitely not limited to) problem with this disgrace of-a-movie is that it makes no sense. I don't know if one can message me on Meta critic but if you can could someone please attempt to explain this movie to me. This is me at the movie:

So there's a guy and he's like a clone i guess? Wait what? Who? How? When? Where? I went to the movie with my mom and it took our brainpower together about 2 days to sort of figure out what this movie was about.

1. Reviewed by:  Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 11, 2013
    Oblivion is a special effects extravaganza with a lot of blatant symbolism and very little meaning. It starts slow, turns dull and then becomes tedious — which makes it a marginal improvement over the earlier film. It features shiny surfaces, clicky machinery and no recognizable human behavior. It's equally ambitious and gormless.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 22, 2013
    In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yet Oblivion is worth the trip. There are two reasons for this. The first is the cinematography of Claudio Miranda.